Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord Quality Control Issues

Comments

• Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    I wouldn't be surprised you are getting such poor mileage. All engines run rich until they reach operating temp.
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    We did fill out a JD Powers survey.
  • Options
    gregoryc1gregoryc1 Member Posts: 764
    Let the dealer repair the engine with the "short block"! After the repair is completed in a "professional manner", and you have taken delivery of the vehicle, ask to speak to the owner or general manager of the dealership about a trade in of this vehicle. If you do this in a "professional manner", I think that something can be done. The "key" to this process is being "adult" and "professional". It might cost you some money, but if you are truly unhappy with the car,--- get rid of it!!!! Life is too short to be unhappy.---- If you keep the vehicle, you will be making payments on something that you hate! -----Just my opinion. ----Greg
  • Options
    cferrocferro Member Posts: 4
    You happen to get a lemon. It can happen to anyone. I have to agree with the other poster have the car repaired by the dealer and trade it in. This process may cost you some money,but life is too short.
  • Options
    Not a car that you don't like after the repair. If the car runs like a new car when you get it back the first time, that is far from a lemon.
  • Options
    I can understand how the owner of this new vehicle feels about this issue. Example: ---I had a new boat that needed a new engine after a couple of years of use under the manufacturer's extended warranty.---There was a "quality" problem with an engine component,(head gaskets), that left me and my wife without power stranded in 3' seas. If it wasn't for "Sea Tow", I might not be writing this posting today. (We might be sleeping with the fishes).---- The replacement engine, (while it was installed properly and the boat did operate properly), did not allow me to "feel comfortable" with the boat or the engine. ( I no longer trusted the boat or the drive train). I traded the boat, took the loss and purchased a new boat. Life is too short to be unhappy. Especially when you are making payments for the experience. If my new Honda needed an engine replacement because of a manufacturer's defect in materials and workmanship, I would let the dealer repair the vehicle under the terms and conditions of the warranty. After the vehicle is returned to me, and I am sure that the engine is operating properly, I would approach the owner of the dealership to discuss a "house deal" in terms of trading this vehicle. If the "numbers" are good, I would do the trade. (The dealer would have to sell me the new vehicle close to cost, and give me full value for the trade). If the numbers do not make sense, I would keep the vehicle, and put a maximum extended warranty on the vehicle, (if not already in place).----Just my opinion. ----Greg
  • Options
    mymomymo Member Posts: 15
    You must have bought the boat in your pre (you know what)additive discovery days, or the engine would have been fine. Anyway your post gave me a good laugh as I though back to prior discussions. I suppose many others were amused as well. Happy Memorial Day!
  • Options
    But that doesn't make the car a lemon. I had the same problem with Civic back in 99. Bought a Civic EX 4 dorr brand new but found evidence of repair. Didn't want the car anymore. Dealer gave ne fair trade on the Civic for a new Accord EX at Invoice. Honda even sent me $1000 for the trouble. I am fully aware of what you are saying but the car is not a Lemon nor was the boat.
  • Options
    Any vehicle can be repaired. Now having made that statement, at what point does the owner of the vehicle loose faith in the quality of the vehicle, and as such, he / she no longer enjoys ownership and / or the usage of the vehicle???? The concept of a "vehicle being a lemon" is in the mind of the owner, even though the manufacturer has their own definition of the term "lemon". The problem of extensive warranty work being an major issue, (in the definition of a vehicle being a lemon), is when the customer deals with a dealer who drags their feet when either diagnosing a problem or making the necessary repairs. This creates the "Lemon Image", because the vehicle must be returned to the service center a number of times for the necessary correction. It also "boils down" to how much the individual is willing to "put-up-with" in terms of warranty service, and lack of "product performance".-----Are there really Lemon Vehicles???? Probably not. If the manufacturer was really willing to find the problem with the vehicle it could probably be repaired, and as such, it could provide many years of service. It all "boils down to money", and the cost of locating the cause of the problem. ----Just my opinion. ----Greg
  • Options
    diagnosed to need a new engine and got one I don't know. If you don't want the car anymore that personal. I'm sure the next owner wouldn't know the difference. With a real "lemon" the next owner would have the same problem as the car would not be repaired. That's why true lemons are branded at carfax.
  • Options
    urluvgodurluvgod Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2001 honda accord sedan ex v-6. I just had a new transmission put in after 28,000 miles. That is sick. I baby my car. Took honda 2 times to fix it. first time they said it was the selinoid or something with trnasmission. I had to bring the car back later that week and they said they were putting in a new transmission. My windshield has also cracked 2 times in 2 months. nothing hit my car. Is anyone else having troubles with this? I think it is a defect on honda's part. people have complained about wind noise. just wondering if honda is to blame for this problems. Please responde back.
  • Options
    rbruehlrbruehl Member Posts: 85
    I had TWO transmissions replaced in the Honda Accord V-6 that I owned. After the second transmission, that was it for me.

As far as the windshield cracking two times in two months, I never encountered that problem. My question is, who replaced the first windshield when it cracked? Was the replacement windshield a Honda OEM or an aftermarket?
  • Options
    jcrobertsjcroberts Member Posts: 54
    Your are the first I have read to have the Navi on a 5sp auto. I heard AAA had a report that this peppy engine was most efficient at 65 mph. With your ongoing mpg, could you inform me of what mpg readings you get at 55, 60 and 65 mph. Might their be some other speed that this car is most efficient. I have averaged 30 mpg over the 3200 miles of ownership. This is quite impressive mileage for such a peppy auto. With gas hitting $1.559, I appreciate your assistance.
  • Options
    lugwrenchlugwrench Member Posts: 213
    Here is the new Honda Commercial:

http://home.attbi.com/%7Ebernhard36/honda-ad.html
  • Options
    urluvgodurluvgod Member Posts: 2
    Ok, I had an auto glass place install the 2nd windshield. Tomorrow I am having Safelite inspect the windshield and then repairing it. Nothing hit my car while I was driving it both times. I am wondering if Honda has a problem and isn't telling us. I know an earlier model of the accord had molding problems around windshield. I am starting to think honda isn't as reliable as I thought it was. I would rather have them build them in Japan, instead of Bud the drunk in the USA build it who is upset about not taking a smoke brake. I want to hear if anyone else is having troubles. Peace
  • Options
    So that doesn't hold water.
  • Options
    atlantabennyatlantabenny Member Posts: 735
    I'm assuming you've owned the car since new but if not, potentially in your case there's the link between cracked windshields and a flexing body from a previous wreck.

There's also the extremely remote (and maybe non-existent) possibility that if the car was built in Japan, it sustained body damage in transit and was repaired after arrival. Someone I know who worked for an overseas car assembly plant had that story to tell, although that wasn't a Honda factory (maybe Honda just "condemns" such damaged cars and junks them).
  • Options
    mikegold_1966mikegold_1966 Member Posts: 138
    I like the link but I did notice that it was an Accord Station wagon. This vehicle is made in Japan for that market isn't it?
  • Options
    talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    The Accord station wagon is sold in Europe as well. With wagons (especially sporty ones) becoming popular again, I wish Honda would consider marketing it in North America.
  • Options
    sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    I don't believe you can guage the efficiency of the engine by looking at instantaneous mileage. There is too much second to second variation in the demand on the engine (as well as the mpg readout). That being said, I find it hard to believe that the engine is more efficient at 65mpg than 55mpg. It is doing more work at 65. The highest mileage would probably be the lowest speed at which the engine can comfortably operate in 5th gear (I have the manual by the way). One way to check would to be to drive on the highway at 65 for one tank and then 55 for the next and compare the mileage.

I did just average 36.4 mpg for one tank on a long road trip, all highway driving. I drive about 70mph on the highway.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    mrfoxy54mrfoxy54 Member Posts: 3
    I have taken my 03 Accord EX Sedan to the Dealer twice to quiet this noise when driving over uneven road surfaces. Notice i said uneven. rough road surfaces doesnt always reproduce the vibration rattle.

The dealer has put extra "padding" on the window seal and center post between the 2 doors. Now the vibration has a muffled sound.

This one looks like a long-drawn out process to fix..assuming they can. I thought about driving the same vehicle with 5 or 10 miles on it to see if that would produce the vibration. Unlikely, for i didnt notice my rattle/noise until it had 100 or 200 miles on it.

anyone have this problem at all ?
  • Options
    yoribeyoribe Member Posts: 10
    I have the same problem with my Japan-made 03 Accord with 2900 miles. The rattle is very intermittent (even over the same speed bump in our driveway) so it would be hard to duplicate it if I were to take my car to the dealer. I plan to apply some silicone grease along the guiding rails and rubber gasket in the window frame and see if the sound can be eliminated.

On another note, the driver's door is misaligned (it sticks out a little). The chrome belt moldings on the front driver's side door and rear door are uneven and looks bad. How could the Honda quality control people have overlooked this?? I will have to take this up with the dealer.

Otherwise, the 03 Accord is a fine piece of machinery.
  • Options
    These rattles sound like the same type that plagued the 2001 & 2002 Toyota Camry. It took Toyota three years to finally get it right. How long will it take Honda?
  • Options
    mikek37mikek37 Member Posts: 411
    Has anyone been able to fix their moonroof rattles on their 03 accords.
  • Options
    Luckily I have no rattles.
  • Options
    Its minor and the only problem I experience, but at times it drives me crazy
  • Options
    talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    No moonroof rattles on my 2003 either.
  • Options
    emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    i have dashboard and headliner rattles that come and go. seems to be temperature dependent. i usually just fix the problem by turning up the radio. but, yes, it is really the only truly irritating thing in an otherwise decent car.
  • Options
    anselmo1anselmo1 Member Posts: 163
    Honda has an ongoing problem with this rattle. I had to take my Generation VI Accord to a sunroof installer to correct the problem. He replaced the gasket with the type he uses and the rattle disappeared.

He told me that Honda has a very weak gasket that causes the rattling problem. The gasket he installed was tighter and of better quality than the massed produced gasket that Honda puts out.

It seems that Honda has a supplier problem on certain components that they out source.
  • Options
    dc_sports_ruledc_sports_rule Member Posts: 134
    What is the general consensus regarding the quality and craftmanship of the 2003 Honda Accord?
  • Options
    outlawtitanoutlawtitan Member Posts: 27
    I have only had mine less than two weeks but like it much better than my 2000 SE model. It handles better, rides quieter, definitely more powerful engine, gets better gas mileage, and I like the simplistic lines of the new exterior design. So far I have not had any problems with the brakes whatsoever, I do not have a sunroof on my LX coupe, and nothing is rattling around. My new red sled is getting a kicka$$ sound system installed today and tomorrow so I will find out soon enough if anything is going to rattle or not. Quite simply I love mine so far and I am esctatic about getting a manual transmission this time around. The car is actually fun to drive now as well as practical.
  • Options
    rockenbachrockenbach Member Posts: 10
    Thanks in Advance - I am considering a 1997 Accord. It looks good and the single thing my mechanic found that is faulty: the power door locks - the owner tells me: "yea, all those 97's seem to do that". This was of course, after my mechanic discovered the problem. Is this a common problem? Is it expensive to repair? Are there any other problems on 1997's with 61K on them???? the price is 8800.00 TIA.
  • Options
    Your problem with the windows is NOT a common problem. Check this out:

http://mycarstats.com/console.asp#ReportViewer
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Now if I had been the one to say that I wonder who would have jumped on me?

But Mikegold, you are correct...it would be a rare problem.
  • Options
    umyayaumyaya Member Posts: 123
    Well what about the brake problems? Since you must see more cars than us, would you agree that there have been a number of cars with brake problems? I have had them, and have seen 6 others complain about them... is there a recognized issue here for Honda?
  • Options
    what brake problems? Alot of things can make your rotors warp. Spraying cold water on a hot brake, your tire shop can over-torque the lug nuts, etc. Had to have my rotors machined on my 03 Accord shortly after I had my tires rotated. Go figure.
  • Options
    it just too bad that nearly all makes use such cheap rotors these days!!!
  • Options
    No brake problems I've heard of.

A lot of people don't want to hear this but the main factor in brake life is THE DRIVER. an abusive driver can quickly wear out a set of brake pads.

We follow these people all of the time...they are the ones who ride their brakes constantly as they tailgate people etc.

And, yes, warped rotors can be caused by a couple of things.
  • Options
    amingaming Member Posts: 119
    Rotors (good quality) will not warp if people ride on them gently. If they did warp, then all cars in mountainous/hill regions would have warped rotors.

Rotors tend to warp when emergency braking is applied (hard and fast). This happens to all the cars I own or have owned (accord, RAV, Es300)

Cheers...
  • Options
    ssteelmassteelma Member Posts: 15
    "I've never seen a rep get fired for hanging up on an irate customer. "

You pretty well nailed it there. I have always been called and asked about the service quality after a shop visit. The arbitration guys always called and asked about my repair attempts. No one ever called and asked me about my experience with my HOA case rep.

This seems to be a nether world where getting you to hang up after not buying the HOA corporate line balances continued negotiation costs and future sales. Guess after you're at that level they don't expect many 5's on your JD Power survey anyway.

I never got mad at my rep, but our conversations would have been pretty funny, if it hadn't happened to me.

Escalating takes your time and money (I was willing to go all the way - on principle). It's not a big deal to them because they have people who's job it is to deal with you. Kind of like suing the government.......
  • Options
    I'm trying to remember when I last had to make an emergency stop.

I guess if the stop was from a very high speed and was hard enough it would be possible to maybe warp a rotor?

Maybe I've just been lucky.
  • Options
    lugnuts being overtorqued (put on by air wrench) is by far the most common reason why rotors end up getting warped...
  • Options
    umyayaumyaya Member Posts: 123
    I understand all those reasons, but my tires have never been rotated, and I do not rely much on my brakes - I am the anti- tailgater, leaving enough room usually to just take my foot off the gas long enough for the car ahead of me to hit the gas again. They've been doing this since I had 4-5000 miles on the car at least, which was about the time I thought it felt as if the brakes never completely released. I don't feel that in 4-5000 miles of non-hard braking it should warp or whatever makes em go thump, thump, thump as you press the brake on the highway. It just seems to early to have these types of problems when the wheels haven't been worked on at all.
  • Options
    Have you had your car washed immediately after driving it?
  • Options
    The only cause that I have ever heard causing warped rotors are from over tightening the lug nuts.
    The flash cool down, and the hard braking doesnt hold too much ground in my book. If this was the case, warped rotors would happen 1) Everytime it rains and your rotors are hot 2) Everytime you decide to wash your car after drying it 3) Everytime you brake too hard. Nah, dont think so.
  • Options
    If your brakes get hot enough and water is sprayed directly on the brake warping can happen.
  • Options
    Not sure about that. Maybe but I have yet to hear any scientific proof that supports the claim.
  • Options
    bburton3bburton3 Member Posts: 185
    Older Honda front rotors were pressed into the bearing assembly-replacing them can damage the bearing carrier and require replacement. An expensive and time consuming job. Heard a rumor the new Honda models have a much simpler rotor design making replacement a snap-anybody know.

On a chrysler pos a friend had-just pulled off the front tires and the rotors slid right off the lug studs-simple.
  • Options
    according2meaccording2me Member Posts: 236
    Does your '97 still have the rotors pressed on???
  • Options
    Had a great time hauling booty to the car wash.... Saw it running through the wheel washer and soon as the water hit em a big cloud of steam wafted off them. Drove it away had pulsation at high speed stops. Also happened to me at home in my RX7 when I decided to get right out of the car and wash it after I had just finished the Neighborhood 500.

The reason rain won't do it as readily is simple. Rain is not a steady high flow water jet aimed at the wheel. It can't cool the brake as fast as a jet of water from a hose. Kinda like if you were to heat glass until it's red hot. If you drizzle drops of water on it you just get steam if you pour a whole lot of water on it, it will shatter.
This discussion has been closed.