Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low End Sedans (under $16k)

Comments

• protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    "That being said, for an extra $2,000 I would get a comparable Toyota or Honda over a Hyundai. You'll get it back at resale."
    -jsylvester

Got to agree with you, on that point.
    -Larry
    "However, I would seriously look at an Elantra if I was looking for a commuter car that I planned on keeping until it dies, and the price was right."

-jsylvester

Got to agree with you, on that point.

-Larry
    "People need to wake up and realize there are some great domestic automobiles out there."

-jsylvester

I Cannot agree with you on that point! Name one domestic car sold for under $17,000 worth buying?
  • lleroi, if I end up with a blown engine when I test drive the Spectra again, I will tell the dealer that everything is all right because you were not around to see it so it did not happen.
  • lleroilleroi Posts: 112
    learning to select the more credible sources.
    Seriously major that was the only post I saw any concern for that problem.You must admit,that concern was like worrying about mistaking salt for sugar.It's not completely illogical but it "hardly"ever happens.Would be interesting tho to bring a car back with a blown engine.If that happens I would be happy to provide "expert"testamony.
  • lleroi, I am just being honest and telling of a concern I had.

And I don't consider it in the same (minor) league as mistaking salt and sugar.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,911
    >>> Name one domestic car sold for under $17,000 worth buying? <<<

IMO, here's a few domestic cars (depending on how you define that term; some of these are not made in the U.S.) I think are worth buying under the right circumstances, that sell for under $17,000:

Buick Century
    Chevy Malibu
    Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager
    Dodge Neon ACR and R/T
    Ford Focus ZTS, ZTW, ZX3 and ZX5
    Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable
    Mercury Cougar
    Olds Alero
    Pontiac Grand Am
    Saturn SL2 and SC2
    Saturn L100

I resisted the urge to add cars like Honda Civic and Accord that are for all intents and purposes "domestic" cars (made in U.S., with mostly domestic content).

I'm not saying that I would buy these cars (except the Caravan, but mine was way over $17k; and maybe the Focus) but I think they can fill the bill for some drivers.
  • I can't agree on the Focus. It is nice style wise and the price has been right on the sedan but it gets ridiculous on those hatchback versions. Ford needs to start worrying when one of their best selling models has sticking cruise controls, wheels wobbling off, brakes rusting and other problems. Other than all of those hazards, it's a pretty decent car.
    I agree, the Focus has too many quality problems for my taste--and an uncomfortable driver's seat to boot. But its performance has been generally hailed by the automotive press, including Edmunds.com, Consumer Reports, and Car and Driver, which just named it (again) one of its 10 Best. So it must have something going for it, so much so that it's one of the top-ten selling cars in the U.S.--a position a lot of low-end cars would like to be in. Aside from the quality issues, it's the only domestic small car that can compete head-on with the best from overseas. Personally I like the looks of the hatchbacks, especially the ZX5, better than the sedans.
  • I wish the Buick Century was available for $17000. I get the GM employee price (GMS and GMO) due to my mother having retired from GM, and even with discounts (a bit under invoice) the Century was still about $18,500, give or take a few hundred bucks.

I wanted a cushy cruiser this time, and would likely have bought the Century if it was available at my $17,000 ceiling (and if BOTH Buick dealers didn't try to low-ball my trade).
    I know I have seen the Century advertised in my area under $17,000. It may have been a one-time deal, maybe a year-end closeout, maybe even a demo, who knows. But they usually do go for over $17k. Personally I wouldn't buy a Century at any price--just not my kind of car. And not a low-end car either.
    Buick Century
    Chevy Malibu
    Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager
    Dodge Neon ACR and R/T
    Ford Focus ZTS, ZTW, ZX3 and ZX5
    Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable
    Mercury Cougar
    Olds Alero
    Pontiac Grand Am
    Saturn SL2 and SC2
    Saturn L100

Yuk! I would not purchase any of these cars. Just my opinion. I'm sure some of these are fine. However, nothing here is top box or leads their respective segments in style/function, reliability or build quality. I do agree the Focus and Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager are respectable vehicles and good values. Just not my cup of tea.

-Larry
    >>> However, nothing here is top box or leads their respective segments in style/function, reliability or build quality. <<<

Generally true, but... the Focus is "top box" in its class according to Consumer Reports and Car and Driver, to name two independent sources. The DaimlerChrysler minivans are generally regarded as the most stylish minivans, also the best riding and handling. And the Century and Saturn SL have very good reliability records.
    Merry Christmas and have a happy New Year! Be safe and enjoy some time with family & Friends. Best wishes for the holidays and a hope for a prosperous New Year for all!

God Bless,
    Larry

You know
    Accent and Lancer and Focus and Spectra,
    ECHO and Neon and Civic and Sentra,
    but do you recall
    the least pricey small car of all?

Rio, the smallest Kia,
    has a very pleasing price
    but if you'd ever drive one
    you wouldn't think it's quite so nice.

All of the other small cars
    used to laugh and call him names;
    they never let poor Rio
    join them driving down the lanes.

During the recession of zero-one,
    Santa came to say,
    "Rio, with your price so light,
    Won't you guide my sleigh tonight?"

Then all his owners loved him,
    and they shouted out with glee,
    "Rio, you have a low price
    plus the greatest warranty!"
  • Did you write that yourself? It's very clever. Merry Christmas!
    It is original. I am seeking professional help after the holidays. Well, gotta go assemble Barbie's Play House...
  • Comfort, quality, performance. Although Brent loved his Accord, when he and his wife comparison shopped they looked at many small and mid size sedans. Both felt the ECHO looked and felt cheap (which is quite different from my opinion). Brent says Honda are nice vehicles but are NOT worth the price.
    What is the relevance of your lovely families choice of vehicles, (over 15 years ago!!!), have with this discussion? Somebody please, direct Carleton back to the NEWS & VIEWS board. I'm sure their is some topic called "Why did my step-son, a Volkswagen Passat owner buy a Cheverolet Impala?", that would welcome his thoughts on Domestic mid-size sedans vs. Imports mid-size sedans. BTW, who is Brent?

-Larry
  • Since rude behavior seems to be the norm for some posters here, please scroll back to read the question posed by protegextwo.
    Brent is a former owner of a Honda Accord who looked at most small sedans and purchased a 2000 Malibu. Since the answer does not please protegextwo, it appears that he feels he must be sarcastic.
    And yes, John and Nikki had a Mazda MPV (SUV...not the anemic, underpowered MINI-van) and they traded it in on a Honda Passport made by Isuzu. Apparently not everyone is as impressed with Mazda as is protegextwo.