Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• xekolaxekola Member Posts: 2
    does any one know the proper procedure to replace a left rear wheel bearing on an audi a4 :confuse:
  • meyer727meyer727 Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I had the same problem on my 02 A4. It was over warranty but they decided to go ahead take care of it because of on-going problems with the sludge.
  • cschnoobergercschnooberger Member Posts: 1
    I have the same kind of problems, very bad on slippery roads when wendy. Did you fine an answer?
  • nyprose1nyprose1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello;

I have never participated in a forum before but I need some help. I own a '99 A-4 1.8T and had to replace the engine when my timing belt failed last April. Have you had any luck locating someone to help you recoup your expenses, either as part of the class action suit or otherwise?

Thanks much in advance.
  • picard12picard12 Member Posts: 55
    why does Audi have so many electrical problems similar to Chrysler K-cars in early 80s? Has the German lost their technical skills? I read so many complaints for all models.
  • traderroctraderroc Member Posts: 4
    I'm having the same problem with my 02 A4. They said I need receipts of all the oil changes. I seem to be 2 short right now. Any word on how to get this taken care if you don't have the receipts. Thanks
  • nirownirow Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking about buying a 96 A4 2.8 Quattro with a little over a 100k miles. Are there any particular problems to look for in a pre-purchase inspection?
  • brookboydbrookboyd Member Posts: 3
    This morning when I started my car the radio information displayed normally, however I could not hear anything. I checked the volume level but nothing. I could hear a faint ticking noise (the noise you can hear from a speaker when the connection is made but there is a problem). After 10 minutes of driving I turned the heat fan blower down to listen for the ticking noise again but it was gone. I decided to try the radio and believe it or not the radio worked just fine. I pulled into the Audi dealership and explained the problem to a service rep. He thought that sounded strange however another customer pulled in yesterday to tell them his radio would not even turn on (no display) when he started the car and after 10 minutes it was working. It has been very cold the past two morning so I was wondering if maybe the radio has to warm up which should not be the case at all.
    Whenever I hit my gas pedal my car takes a split second to respond and then finally begins to move forward. When I asked the salesman at Univeristy Park Audi (Dallas, TX) about this problem he told me it was because of the computer in the engine. He told me it takes a split second for the car to tell the computer to go into turbo mode and begin forward. Once the car kicks in it goes like gang busters. Does this sound right?
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    A turbocharger takes engine exhaust, compresses it, and sends it back through the engine... Because of this, it does take a second or two for any turbocharger to rev up. As a result, you'll experience what's referred to as "turbo lag." Some turbos are better than others. It's not a problem or a defect or error or anything else... it's just the way that turbos work.

More info on turbochargers.
    I am so done with Audi. They won't cover this oil sludge problem unless you have all the receipts for the oil changes. I have 8 of them all done at Audi. I can't find 1 or 2 that they want. They won't cover the repair because of this. They have a crap engine and they don't want to own up to it. They extended the warranty but only after they had major problems with this and now they want you to jump thru hoops. Terrible company.
  • hydrocarbonhydrocarbon Member Posts: 16
    (1) Make sure the timing belt and water pump and tensioner have been replaced. Supposed to be replaced at 90K, but a lot of people replace sooner. Cost to do this at a decent independent shop in the Chicago area is ~ $800.
    (2) It's a good idea to see if the control arms were replaced. They are supposed to be notoriously weak (that said, my '99 A4 has the original set at 82K)
    (3) Common, minor problems for the B5 A4 include (a) side mirrors rust, (b) sunroof stops working, (c) headlight washers crap out, and (d) plastic molding on the low part of the body falls off.

All, in all, I really like my 2.8 A4. I have spent an average of $600-800 /year of maintenance in the 3-1/2 years of ownership. It's not the cheapest car to maintain, and it can't be considered a "sports car" at all. It's too heavy. But it drives and handles very solidly.
    You'll probably find the rear seat is cramped for bigger people.
  • junk_car_ownerjunk_car_owner Member Posts: 47
    The day I bought my 2002 A4 1.8T pre-owned, the muffler needed rewelding. Since that day, I have had to go into the shop every two months with electrical and mechanical problems. Some are new but some are also repetative: Does this sound familiar?:Check Engine Light - 6 visits to the shop, the mechanics don't know what the problem is so they reset the check engine light so that it doesnt light up but then as I am driving home..it comes on again. Once this caused my car to be in the shop for over a week! and then it still came back on.2.light bulbs keep burning out, the tail light particularily,3.the horn stopped working ...twice even after repair, the headlight switch too, The radio kept shutting down, attributed to the fuse but later, the dealership conceded that the whole radio needed replacing, paint on the wiper blades peeled off, that needed replacing, the seat warming switch got stuck. It goes on and on. Oh and if you are under the 80000, then you have a chance that the service centre will look at the car, but at 80001..THEY WONT EVEN talk to you. Quite frankly,,they are liars. And, the mechanics don't know anything about cars.They plug in their little lap top into your car and dont even look under the hood!
    If you have the extended warranty, and the same problems that you had under the manufacturers warranty crop up again, they now make you pay $50 bucks for it!. Oh and if you do get warranty work done to your car such as breaks, DONT JUST DRIVE AWAY assuming that they replaced your breaks. The liars where I go to for service said they replaced the breaks on my invoice, but, LOW and BEHOLD when I looked at the car, they did not replace them at all!
  • jmg001jmg001 Member Posts: 4
    I purchased an Audi A4 February of this year. I have driven standard 23 years and have never had to replace a clutch on any vehicle I owned. This includes the 1995 Acura Integra with 176,000 miles on it, which I still own and use. I try to keep a car for 10 years. The reason for the background was that my clutch went on my Audi at 15,400 miles while traveling out of state. The car drove fine one day and the next morning when I retrieved it at a hotel car valet there was a obnoxious burning smell coming from the car, there was a rattling / vibration underneath it and the gears were difficult to work with. I literally got the car to a local dealership when the clutch went completely. The service light did not come on. I had to rent a car to get home to CT and my car will be in the Boston area for the next couple of weeks. Besides that the gas gage started to become problematic about a month old and it had to be replaced. I believe this is happening again. Has anyone heard of these situations? Is this car a lemon? :lemon: ?
    I read your post and the problem with the fogging of the windshield on the interior of the A4 2002 happened to me. I took it to the dealership and they didnt know what it was? They turned on all the defogging controls in the vehicle on max air flow and the windshield barely cleared. This happens on the most humid of days. So , I couldn't figure out how to clear my windshield. It is so embarasssing to drive such an expensive car and I can barely look out the front windshield as I am driving around. I have not tried the suggestions that you were given but I will next summer...if I havent sold the piece of junt that I own. I also noticed one cold day this month, that when I got into my car in the afternoon, there was condensation / moisture on the inside windshield>??? I have never seen that before. Oh by the way the fogging of the windshield on humid days...It forms a kind of pattern at the base of the windshield where the vents would be. Did you notice the pattern to the fogging also?
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    and the next morning when I retrieved it at a hotel car valet there was a obnoxious burning smell coming from the car, there was a rattling / vibration underneath it and the gears were difficult to work with

when i read this, and i bet others read this they are going to think: i wonder if the valet knew how to drive stick? or i wonder if the valet took your vehicle on a "test" drive?

vehicle driving fine one day, and the next it is DOA after leaving it in the custody of someone else... it's possible it just failed on it's own, but that's harder to believe than the other scenario.

if this happened recently, and you seem to indicate as much, perhaps a call to the hotel's security or main desk might be in order to see if anyone else reported vehicle damage around the same period.

true story: i used valet parking when i brought my wife to a major hospital to deliver our first child. a couple days later when we go to get the car and put the car seat in, i give the valet my card w/number.

after waiting an eternity - he shows up driving a vehicle of much higher expense, and his words to me are: "this isn't your car is it?" to which I reply - not even close - is the hospital running a special vehicle upgrade with every newborn? the car was eventually located and a spare key was obtained to get the proper vehicle to my house many hours later.

things happen.
  • bigdveedubgirlbigdveedubgirl Member Posts: 402
    If you are getting your Oil Changes at a Audi dealer, Ask that dealer to pull your maitnence history and it has all the codes for everything done on your car at that dealer. So you should be able to get Audi to cooperate. What is you oil change schedule? Are you every 10k or 5k? EVEN though the book says every 10k I recommend every 5k. :sick:
  • cneffcneff Member Posts: 65
    I wanted to take this opportunity to follow up from my original post #980 and then #989. Recap: major electrical issues with 2003 A4. 4 dealers with Audi of America involved with near 150 dealer days. Audi of America (AOA) finally sent an "expert" to go over the car, they sent two. (AOA guaranteed me they would fix all my issues) One "expert" was a Quality control manager from Germany. Two weeks later (they had the car two weeks straight) and over 20 repairs later the car is better but not working 100%. AOAs response now is I can go to any dealer I wish and after they told me the prior dealers were not considered capable. Keep in mind I am talking to those above their standard Customer Care group
    As you can see the problem is not with the cars it is with their dealer network and their own customer service attitude. Their "experts" even told me that the dealers I have been to cause them serious issues. But does the company do anything about it or take a stand to win a customer back? Nope.
    It is a scary thought knowing that when things get tough, the company (that made the product) is not there for you. What is worse is when they keep saying "I am having a unique experience" they do little to correct it. Judging by these forums my experience is not unique. If you are wondering if those with A8s get better service they do not. I met quite a few A8 and A6 owners not happy. Same pattern. AOA even asked me to have them call them direct so they can help. If AOAs dealer/service network does not have a red flag that shows a customer (especially an A8) comes to the dealer 10 times for the same issues then they do not deserve that customer.
    My own issues had tech announcements 2 years old related to them. 4 dealers and AOA never read their own documents (most of my issues could have been resolved years ago)
    I don't like bashing, I like to think that mistakes happen and a company can redeem themselves. AOA blew that hope to bits. 3 years ago when this all started Audi Customer Care told me they only sell cars - how true it is.
  • casanova2casanova2 Member Posts: 40
    I took a lease out on a 2006 A4 Quattro but opted not to get the overpriced XM radio package. I was wondering whether one could hook up such a beast as Terk's XMDRDS100 (see
    http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001- &storeId=10001&productId=14946&langId=-1 )?

Backup option is just a plain vanilla XM unit transmitting over FM but it'd be neat to use the car's own satellite capacity. Or has Audi made it such that you have to buy their overpriced goodies?
    I wanted to know what major electrical issues you have specifically with your A4? SInce, I have an 2002 A4 1.8T that has had mostly electrical but also some mechanical defects since I bought it. I bought mine used and got the Audi extended warranty with the car. My issues have been horn does not work X2,rear break light out(several times),sun roof sticks,radio stopped working (X3)and it was only after I went to a second dealer for this radio problem that I discovered from the service advisor by accident almost that a bulletin came out that the radio had to be replaced !!!. In other words, my regualr service centre did not fess up to this until I went back to them and told them that another Audi dealer said that the radio is supposed to be replaced if it stops working! Then , they finally replaced it. Also, malfunctioning are the head light switch, seat warmer switch, a "check engine light" that has the service centre stumped. (X6) and once it was in the shop for over a week. And mostof the first five times I drive home and the light turns on again before I get home. I think that Audi service technicians are only trained to plug in their lap tops into your car and then clear the dash of all the warning lights and then tell you it is fixed and you can go home. The bottom line for me is that the service centers lie a lot. They don't fix your car properly while it is under warranty and then you have to deal with it when the warranty expires. Crappy company.
  • champagne1champagne1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    I have the same heating problem. I wanted to know if you found the problem and if it fixed your heat. I am about to replace the timing belt and water pump but can not belive this will fix my heat. If you could or if you know where I could get more information on this please let me know.
    thank you, pierre
  • audrey4audrey4 Member Posts: 2
    Could you give me some information as to whether you were able to make any warranty or extended warranty claims. My oil pump was replaced on my A4 due to sludge. The two weeks later the fuel pump died (on highway while travelling over 60mph) very dangerous. Audi is saying that the fuel pump problem is not related to the sludge problem. Do you have any inf on this? Thanks
  • audrey4audrey4 Member Posts: 2
    I am having a similar problem. Please tell me about yours.
    At 55,000 the car died while running. They said it was the "oil pump" and replaced it under the sludge extended warranty. They had it for three weeks. Two weeks after it came out of the shop it died again on the highway..This time they say is is the "fule pump" and that it is not related to the oil pump. would love to know your problems
  • 97a497a4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 A4 with an Auto trans and am having issues also, only I loose overdrive and reverse. After re setting the computer everything goes back to norm. If you find anything out please email me.
    Thanks
  • picard12picard12 Member Posts: 55
    I own a Honda accord 93 4cyl for 12yrs now. I never heard of such incredible mechanical problems A4 owners experience. I want to ask you if you guys have dump the A4 yet? Is it worth keeping it at all? I am planning to buy accord 2006 V6 EX model. I test drive it on the hwy. It drives very smoothly and accelerate with ease into passing lane. I had no problem keeping up with expensive European cars.
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    Well, the fact that this is the "Audi A4 Owners: Problems & Solutions" forum, then pretty much all you're going to read here are problems that people have with their cars....
  • cbymenecbymene Member Posts: 2
    I just made a deposit on a manual pre-owed 2005 A4 2.0T (the newer model, the FSI one). The car only has 82 miles. My friend test drove the car for me and he said the car was smooth. After we got back to the dealer and popped the hood, the engine sounded kind of loud. It has some kind of “ metal knocking metal” sound. We asked the dealer and he said it is normal. Then he offered to pop another one (new 2.0T Quattro). It sounded loud too but did’t have that shape metal knocking sound. So is it normal? The car is new. We asked the dealer how the car was used. (They said the car was Corporate Demo) But he isn’t sure the history of the car neither. He said it might be used in the car show, picture models, stuff like that. I worried perhaps the engine was screwed by the ppl who test drove it. Thus, my main concern is the weird sound from the engine. Any clue? Thx
  • rdsmdrdsmd Member Posts: 4
    yesterday was the first really cold day here, and my car was outside. When I started it up there was no sound at all from the radio... the display and tuner worked fine, in fact it was reading the satellite channels and songs, but no sound. AFter 15 minutes when the car really warmed up the sound came back on. I have the upgraded bose system in a 2005 A4 Cab. I am not happy about this.. I wonder how many other people are having this problem. Any posts with regard to this problem or what the outcome was would be appreciated! My daughter has a 2003 A4 and I have driven it in below 0 weather and never a problem with the radio!!
    You are correct in a way. You are saying that if you put up a forum with the title 'problems' then all you are going to read about is problems. So, one might conclude that there is nothing good about the car. People tend to complain when things are going wrong but, do not take the time to complement if things are good.

However, look at the specific problems you are reading about on this forum and how Audi service centres and the manufacturer deal with them. You are reading about similar problems by different car owners all over north america. You are reading about how the Audi service centres do not know how to solve the problems. You are reading about how problems crop up over and over again. This is what is significant in this forum.

Furthermore, I bet you can see that there are forums for problem reporting for other cars too. But, the A4 seems to have the highest number. This probable because the A4 is poorly wired or poorly manufactured. Also, service centre mechanics don't know how to fix a problem because their "computer" does not show any problem even though the owner can tell you exactly what it is. The A4 and Audi and its service centres do not back up their product and the owner suffers.

By the way, think about all of the other owners out there who are just sucking it up and going along driving a poorly performing care with many manufacturing defects!
    By the way, even if there was just one problem, dont you think that the manufacturer or the dealer service centre should resolve it? One way or another way. It just sounds like a lot of people are just unsatisfied
  • therockdr3therockdr3 Member Posts: 1
    About 8 months ago I bought a 1998 a4 audi quattro 1.8T. Great car, but I'm having some many problems with my two front windows. First my passenger regulator went. Then my right window dropped and never came back up. So far, I replaced the passenger regulator, but it still struggles on the way up. The driver window needed a new master switch, which didn't help the situation, because after I put the switch in, I realized I needed a new motor. The be sure, I bought two from a salvage yard. Both motors worked, but they still struggle to push up the windows, even with a new regulator on the passenger side, and the new master switch on the driver side. I'm running out of options, and don't know where to turn next. If anyone has any advice, or has heard of a similiar situation that could provide some helpful info, please let me know! Thanks
    82 miles sounds catchy. But, Make sure you ask to look at the previous work order history on the car. Actually get the service centre or the salesperson to show you on the computer the entire work order history of the car and make sure that you know what you are looking at and ask questions about the things that you do not. I wish I had with my 2002 Audi A4 which the dealer told me had some things fixed in the shop but they were not really a problem. Well I regret accepting his word for it. Because the cars previous problems have plaqued me for the past two years. I am in the shop every two months with the same problems repeating and new problems cropping up. Do not take a salespersons word for it. SInce you are about to pay big bucks for the car . You should have proof of where the car was. He must be sure of the history of the car. People who use cars for demo's etc. WRECK them. Dont take his word for it..protect your money.
  • 06a406a4 Member Posts: 2
    Purchased my frist audi about two weeks ago and love the way the car handles and drives. However the engine does not idle smoothly. Have the 6 speed auto trans. Does enyone know if this is a common characteristic of the car?
  • kevbozkevboz Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2002 a4 quattro (52,000 miles) about 2 months ago from CARMAX. I got the extended warranty. Love the car but just had my first problem last week. Driving to work the engine would not go over 4000 rpm. After I shut the engine off and started it back up the check engine light went on. Still would not go over 4000 rpm. Seems to run fine though. Took it to car max. They said it was some speed sensor. They replaced it and I picked the car up. Worked fine for 2 days.. now I have the same problem. I know the check engine could be just about anything.. just looking for input from other owners.
    ALs.. sometimes I have to crank it over 2-3 time in order for it to start.
    Unfortunately I have not been able to drive my car since 12/6 because I had a minor accident so I have not been able to test the radio again in cold weather. I too have the upgraded Bose system so I am wondering if this a problem w/ that particular radio. The UP Dallas dealership told me another person came in with the same radio problem, however he could not even tune his radio or see the display. After 10 minutes in the car his radio came on. If this problem happens again I will definitely take my car in to Audi to have the radio thoroughly checked out. I agree with you that this should not be happening at all.
    Full Article at:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20051124.wxwhaudi24/BNStory/s- pecialGlobeAuto/

Quote:"Another major issue in North America is quality. In the most recent 2005 J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study of owner-reported problems in the first 90 days of ownership, Audi ranked No. 8, an improvement of three spots over 2004, but still far behind Lexus, the No. 1 quality brand.

More troubling, in Power's Vehicle Dependability Study -- which measures owner-reported problems in three-year-old vehicles -- Audi ranks near the bottom of the pack. In fact, at 312 problems per 100 vehicles, Audi ranks just ahead of Daewoo, a true budget brand."
    original article at

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/cc/02-05a4.htm

Quote:"The A4 has generally been a reliable car, with electrical problems being the most common shortcomings according to Consumer Reports. Faulty ignition coil packs and window regulators are two of the main culprits in that regard. BMW's 3 Series offers slightly better overall reliability according to Consumer Reports, but the Acura TL and Lexus IS300 take top reliability honours in this quartet of cars. "
  • clevea4clevea4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 A4. The rear brakes are dragging intermittently.

It was serviced for this problem with a brake rebuild about eightmonths ago and is recurring.

The rear discs were glowing red yesterday, and I am about to call the dealer.

Has anyone else had this problem?
  • poodlemompoodlemom Member Posts: 1
    My dealer has a certified '05 A4 3.0 6 cyl. w/ 8K miles. It was one of the shop loaners.

Since it's certified, it comes with 6yrs/100k warranty along with 4yrs/50k free maintenance. Between the two, shouldn't that cover most of the problems on this forum? I'd hate to have excessive repair costs + a simultaneous car payment (am going for 60 mos. loan).

I appreciate any help. I didn't want to make an impulse purchase - the car is gorgeous, but I worry about reliability and repair costs. I just thought I'd post here to see if I could get any feedback. This is a really terrific research site.

Thanks all :)
  • tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    I wouldn't get a loan for longer than the maintenance warranty and I wouldn't plan on keeping the car after that ran out. It will cost you an arm and a leg to keep it running after that.

Good luck.

2001 A4 1.8T manual
  • epetsalisepetsalis Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    I have an Audi A4, 1.8T, 2002. As soon as my 4 year warranty expired suprise suprise, problems began.
    The check engine light came on. After a visit to Autozone, I finally found out that the following error code was causing the problem:
    "P0171: system runs too lean". Anybody has any idea what the problem might be? I was told that it might be a senson malfunction and that i might have to replace it (i was told it costs around $180). Anybody experienced similar problem? The car has been running without any noticable change in behavior with "check engine light" on for 4 weeks now. Do you think that I might cause more damage if I don't have it fixed?
    Thanks in advance for your input.
  • casanova2casanova2 Member Posts: 40
    The Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) you mention could be from a faulty or contaminated exhaust oxygen sensor. At best you're burning too much gas, at worst you've got a deeper mechanical problem.

Check out http://www.autohausaz.com/audi-auto-parts/audi-emissions-oxygen-sensors.html for more info.
  • walsh5walsh5 Member Posts: 1
    just bought 2002 Audi 1.8T quattro, 3rd day driving the car
    I keep hearing loud noise coming form the back side of the car , it gets louder when i get closer to where the fuel tank is, some one told me it could be the fuel pump inside the tank need to be replaced does any one experience some thing like that could it be really the fuel pump or some thing else,
  • richb1richb1 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2003 Audi A4 1.8, 54000 miles. Tonight, my clutch went on the car. Have any of you had any successful experience dealing with Audi of America regarding covering this problem with only 4,000 miles beyond warranty? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I guess the posts on this board are correct...decent car until the warranty runs out!
    what exactly does the noise sound like? I had noise from the back too with the same car. It was a buzzing sound that was very loud, kind of like a piece of mettle rattling very fast and loud and the sound got louder when I accelerated. It turned out to be the muffler needed re-welding.
    Audi is not reliable. You may get a warranty but the car can be in the shop every few weeks diagnosing and servicing problems. Do you really want that???? Don't buy it despite the hype about all the warranty.
    I did do that but I have only 8 done at Audi and I need like 9 or 10. They won't pay for anthing because of that.
    They should of recalled the cars to replace the engines but they are just trying to hold us to a stringent test so they can save money. Piece of junk engine.
    My problem is the oil light came on one cold morning and ultimately i had to stop driving it. I had it towed to the dealership and they are telling me it is an oil sludge problem. I don't have all my oil change receipts(8 out of 10) They are telling me I possible need a new engine. They want $650 to just to tell me that and that Audi won't cover it. Crooks if you ask me. They should of recalled these engines. Instead, they make you jump thru hoops on a problem they know they have.
  • bodutolabodutola Member Posts: 1
    I had the same happen to me as well. The problem was with the catalytic converter that reduces emmissions. It is mandatory that the car meets emmission standards set by the EPA and Audi has a mandate to fix the problem for free. My catalytic converter was replaced after the warantee was over for free at my dealership and I did not have the problem any more. So you might want to mention this to them.
  • simonosimono Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I got my 2006 A4 Avant (quatro, automatic) this summer and about a month after driving it I noticed some 'kicking' behaviour whenever I come to a stop - the car simply 'kicks' right before stopping. This behaviour happened occasionally so duplicating it at the dealership service shop was a bit difficult. Consequently, the dealership did not find anything wrong with the car (total number of visits regarding this problem = 4). Finally, the dealership general manager said that this behaviour is normal and that it is the breaking system with its security features (note: service manager was not aware of this feature).
    The thing is that none of the cars that I had driven in the past behaved like that, even my friends Camry drives and stops as smooth and quiet as possible. Currently, my Audi 'kicks' everytime I come to a stop and this is extremely annoying.

Has anybody experienced a smilar problem? Can you please advise?

Thanks,
    Simon