Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bluemkn57carsbluemkn57cars Member Posts: 1,009
    edited September 2013
    I signed the paperwork today at Honda Cars of Boston.

The sales price was $24,998 ($1401 below invoice).

Here is a breakdown of fees:

Flex cash: $500 (applied towards down payment)
    Doc fees: $298
    Title and registration fees: $130 (included $5 electronic fee)
    Wheel locks: $89 (The car came from Weymouth Honda and I was told that Honda Cars was being charged that amount, so there was no room to negotiate)
    Tax: 6.25% MA tax
    No dealer add-ons or extended warranty purchase

I will be taking delivery of the car tomorrow. I am very happy.

Thank you, Brian for all your insight.
    2021 Audi A6 P+2018 Audi A4 P+ (lease returned)2013 Honda Accord EX-L (Sold)
  • cars12345cars12345 Member Posts: 44
    Hi blue, thank you for posting your experience as I actually went to Prime this weekend and purchased the EX-L as well and used your price as a negotiating tool and it helped. I had a trade that muddied the waters some, but in the end I think I did pretty well. I always think I could have gotten maybe a hundred or two more on the trade, but in the end I think it was a fair deal.

Now I am waiting for them to find the color I'm looking for so I hope I don't run into the same problem as you did. I did put a deposit down so hopefully that will not be an issue.

I agree, it was not a pleasant experience at Prime. The sales managers say and promise anything to get you to finalize the deal...all while pretending to be your best friend and telling you 'what a great negotiator you are'. Even though my Prime experience was far from pleasant I have to admit it wasn't that bad. I actually had an even worse experience at Bernardi with all their President's Awards. Glad I only visit once every 8-10 years. And now that I will (hopefully) have a new Accord, I'll be set for a good 15 years.

Brian, I will add to the chorus singing your praises. I'm sure this site saved me $600-$1000 easy.
  • carguy778carguy778 Member Posts: 33
    Does your car come with navi or without navi?

Thanks
    No navi. I did not think it was worth the extra $2,000.
    cars12345,

What was your final sales price at Prime before the trade-in? Were you offered any flex cash?

I hope you are able to get the car in your color.

Good luck.
    Well, not sure yet on the final price of the car. At the end we were talking about out the door cost between the trade and the new car muddled together and since they didn't have the car in stock I haven't signed a bill of sale, but did put down a deposit. So I do wonder if all of that was a mistake (Brian, feel free to opine). I would guage I got the new car around 24,500 reflecting the flex cash (i know you had 24,400), but until the car comes in I'm not sure how they will officially split the cost between the trade and new car. No charge for getting the color I wanted.

I had to ask about the flex cash, it was not offered to me upfront. They had no choice once I brought it up.

Good luck today picking up your new car. I hope to get mine in a couple of days.

If it all falls through it's not the end of the world. I'll just be smarter for the 2014's in December (or see if Honda Cars of Boston has my color for the 2013).
  • mantis01mantis01 Member Posts: 1
    Could you tell the dealer in NE PA. I am in NE PA and am starting to look for a new Accord to replace my 1999. I have waited so long because I despise dealing with sales people and would like to start at one with the best price.
    edited September 2013
    I hope Prime submitted your credit application to Honda so that they could hold the Flex cash for you. BTW, I think you should have focused on the sale price of the car first without bringing in the trade into the deal. Just my $0.02.

Anyway, I wish you all the best and I hope they are able to locate the car for you soon. Was your deposit by credit card or check?

I hope you did not deal with Eric (the salesguy). He was trying to tell me that if they could not locate the car for me within 24 hours, I might loose out on Flex cash.

If your deal falls through, call Honda Cars and ask for Ben (the internet sales manager). You can tell him that Mike (the guy who bought the silver Accord EX-L recently) referred you. I cannot guarantee that he would give you a great deal, but at least he is not going to BS you and waste your time. What color were you looking for?
  • moesobomoesobo Member Posts: 24
    Brian,

Is the $24,998 the base sales price for an EXL 4 cylinder? I was offered $27,951.52 out the door (all fees, taxes, options included) on a 2013 Honda Accord EXL 4 cylinder with an MSRP of $28,785.00.

From the same dealership I got this quote below but then they came back with the OTD price above including the options on a particular color. Did you pay a dealer fee in addition to the destination fee? I am trying to figure out if any of them are negotiable.

Selling price $24,299 (USAA Special Price)

Dealer Options $0-$1795 (depending on which vehicle you pick)

Sales Tax $1700.93

Dealer Fee $698

Transfer Tag Fee $188

Out the door price $26,885
  • ttanzeemttanzeem Member Posts: 2
    Which dealership did you go to?
  • ttanzeemttanzeem Member Posts: 2
    I am in the market for EX-L V6 no nav. The best price i got is 27,441 (destination fee included). Do you guys think its a good enough price to pull the trigger or should I wait until Thanksgiving for the prices to dip a little more (perhaps 0.9% APR for 60 months as well?). Suggestions? I can pick one up from either IL or WI market.
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    Mike - if you know what you are doing, it makes no difference when you bring up your trade. It only adds to the amount of time your deal takes if you spring your trade at the last minute. Your trade in is worth what it is worth. A dealer is not going to buy your trade in for more than market value if they are making very little on the vehicle they are selling you. Where buyers are disappointed is when they expect to buy a new car at a deeply discounted price but expect top retail dollar on their trade. It is always better to sell your trade privately if you can. Otherwise, determine the fair wholesale value on your trade and that's approximately what you should expect to receive.

Congrats on your new accord - great deal!

Take care,

Bill
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
  • accord2013elxaccord2013elx Member Posts: 47
    Blue,

Congratulations for your new car.
    Honda cars of Boston have the color I want in their inventory. Do you think I can get the deal done for 24,900?. I am going with dcu finance.

I would be happy to get the deal done today or tomorrow if possible.
    Thanks.

All I can tell you is that you could try and make that offer and see if they would bite. They are tough negotiators, but at least they are not going to BS you.

Good luck and let me know how things work out.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited September 2013
    moesobo

Base invoice= 25,609 plus dest charge of 790.............=26,399
    Dealers Selling price with dest charge i hope.................24,299

Your at 2100 below invoice price..Dont forget dealership is asking for a $698 dealer fee Reducing your total below invoice price to $1402 below . This price is in the targeted pricing market.

If you want to shave off a few more dollars negotiate with that one dealer thru this month. Otherwise your have a good deal..

All added dealer accessories to vehicle should be at dealers invoice price. By paying his price will reduce your 1402 below invoice price of vehicle.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

edited September 2013
    ttanzeem,

If you wait til Thanksgiving your model and color most likely wont be there.

your current deal off 851 below invoice is not a good deal at all. Could be your area, with supply and demand factor. I'm thinking your not negotiating properly. Go back a few pages i posted several posts to read on buying .. HOW and When to buy If you apply some of those things i talk about with getting as many dealerships involved at months end your price will be better.

After you read and apply / post back later in the month and i will help you with anymore questions or help. 800 below invoice price 9 months into this yr, with 2014 three months away is not a good or fair price.

I read thru these posts and see in every state what dealerships are doing to you guys. If you take some of my advice How and when to buy you could change that. Plus cut down on all that dealership B.S. Buying a honda accord is stressful enough with all the nonsense dealers throw at you, lying, deceiving you etc... Turn the tables on them. This is why your all in this forum to make your best deal..

edited September 2013
    Brian,

You are going to laugh at this.

I got a call this morning from one of the sales guys at Prime Honda. He wanted to know if I had time to come in today. Without him even going any further, I politely told him that another dealership had located the car for me, and I did not need his help anymore. He asked for the name of the dealership. I just told him not to call me anymore. It made me feel good.

They lost a sale by a $100 for playing games and throwing BS at me.

To all those car buyers reading this forum; do not let dealers and sales guys play you. Try not to get emotionally attached to a car after test driving it or seeing it in the showroom. If you feel a sales person is wasting your time or not being honest with you, move on to the next dealership.

If you do not make a deal this month, there is always next month and the month after that.
    edited September 2013
    Read thru these past post along with the other contributor's on getting a good deal. This will help you get the best deal possible with the least amount of dealership nonsense. Get you started with negotiation tactic's.

POST; 30,550, 30,558, 30,575, 30,642, 30,660, 30,682, 30,723,

Blue .. you should of told losing dealership that joe"s honda got your business for there foolishness. Good job on your sale

• sam_shsam_sh Member Posts: 2
    I am interested in buying Accord sedan EX. Unfortunately my first preference color is not available in entire state of California for that trim.
    I am getting 22,250 + tax and fees = $24,500 out the door for my second preference color in 2013 model.
    Please help me if you know what price (how much above/below invoice) dealers would sell 2014 Accord EX around thanks giving or Christmas time frame. It would help me understand how much more I would have to pay for my first preference color if I wait for 2014 Accord EX.
    edited September 2013
    Sam

Any dealership that you decide to buy a 2014 model will take a deposit and within 4 weeks time you should have your Accord.

Dont settle for a 2 choice color if your buying a 2014. These guys make stuff up ....extra to order your color....B.S..... find another dealership

I would say a good price to buy today a 2014 Accord any model is 500 above invoice price. Take into consideration dealer will get his doc fee charge plus the entire dealer-hold back. Any price higher is a judgment call. There are dealers telling buyers if they order vehicle they want 1k below the full msrp.. Nonsense dont fall for that..

• equalizer7equalizer7 Member Posts: 8
    Brian,

I'm in SoCal and looking for 2013 Accord Lx manual. Best quote I have so far is 400 under invoice. Two dealers claim Honda Financing makes no diff, so either they have no Flex cash or don't want to share? There are probably less than 15 of these cars within 90 miles of my house. I have seen LX auto get quoted for same price as this manual, but 96% are auto. What do you suggest?

Thanks
  • sam_shsam_sh Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Brian for the reply. Do you think it would reduce the price of 2014 Accord if I wait until Christmas or Thanks Giving?
  • dr17dr17 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Sam,

Which area of CA are you getting this price in? I am trying too and the lowest price I got was $23037.

Thanks,
    Roop
  • equalizer7equalizer7 Member Posts: 8
    Brian,

Thanks for the post #'s. I first looked for posts 30 and then 550 until I realized it was 30,500 and 30, 558!
    edited September 2013
    Yes ................If you wait to buy end of Dec a 2014 model you will be below invoice price with certain dealerships.. Like we seen last dec with the 2013 model a few got close to 800 below invoice.
    Dec is the end of the 4th quarter for all Car companies. there you will find big savings and dealerships looking to meet end of year/ month sales numbers.

I usually buy my new vehicles Nov/ Dec for the upcoming year. The longer you wait going into 2014 the more cash you save off invoice pricing.

• fxguyfxguy Member Posts: 132
    Mid size sales figures for Aug:

Camry - 44713
    Accord - 38603
    Altima - 30976
    Fusion - 24653
    Sonata - 16917
    Malibu - 16890
    Optima - 15199

That Camry is one tough nut to outsell. As bland and boring as it is, Americans just love it. Of course it helps that Toyota has seriously cranked up the rebates and fleet sales. Because of the stellar sales last month, some dealership parking lots are looking semi empty these days as manufacturers struggle to meet capacity. I visited some dealers this week and saw the not so full lots myself. One mid size Honda dealer i went to had only 10 Accords on hand. This may make it harder to get great deals on the Accord this month as it looks like they are selling damn nearly all they can build. I myself am interested in an Accord EX-L and i am hoping to pay under $25000 before TTL as some were able to get last month.
    Blue - I did have Eric as the salesman - he was ok to me. I do believe they did the application - I know they pulled my credit report. If the price is suddenly $500 more then what we discussed I will be out of there. I did the deposit by credit card and the charge has not come through yet. I've been watching.

So funny story, so as I was saying to them I know you sold this car 2 days ago for 24,400 I said I'm not telling you who, but I know and you can look it up. The manager asked if it was Michael. I said it could have been Michael. I guess it was Michael! You are famous at Prime. I'm picking up my car tomorrow so I know the rest of the story if it comes up in conversation.

I knew my sticking point was going to be the trade which is why I brought it in early as I was firm on the price of the car. I know I could have gotten more to sell it privately, but it is old and I don't want to put an ad on craigslist and have people come to my apartment. So many craigslist horror stories. And as a woman, I just would have to deal with a bunch of guys trying to push me around with the sale of the car. So it's worth a couple hundred dollars to me to just trade it in and make it simple. Plus I live in the burbs and work in Boston, who wants to deal with trying to sell a car on top of that. I was able to get them up to the quote I got from CarBuyCo and close to KBB so I figured that was the best I could do for what I had. I wish I had read the chat boards on negotiating a trade before going in. I just assumed I would get at least KBB and could negotiate from there since it was very clean. I was either mistaken or taken. It's over now, so I have to live with it. I'll get another shot at it in 10 or so years.

I went with Modern Steel. Maybe I'll see you around in your Silver.
    I wonder if Prime reads this board. They will know exactly who I am.
    edited September 2013
    Very interesting that you dealt with Eric. You could tell him that he lost my sale by playing too many games...lol

Hope you get your car tomorrow as promised. All I can is that it is a sweet ride.
    "...Blue .. you should of told losing dealership that joe"s honda got your business for there foolishness. Good job on your sale..."

You are right, Brian, but I was at work and I was not in the mood to waste my time arguing with a guy I was not going to buy a car from.

Anyway, I picked up the car today and it was worth the wait. I am extremely happy. I can't wait to get familiar with all the settings and tech gizmos.

Thanks again for your advice and suggestions on this forum.
    Brian,

Thanks. I am hoping to get OTD (everything included) for $26,000 but I am not sure I will get it or if I have wishful thinking? Did you get an EXL and what was the OTD price and with what MSRP?
    The $24,299 should be $24,248 since that is the USAA price that I am guaranteed off an EXL with a MSRP of $27,995. Probably a typo. The USAA price already includes the destination charge of 790 and a 150 regional advertising fee.
    I prefer to deal at the end of the month but our Acura was totaled and we have to wait until the settlement goes through to buy again (per our credit union). We got approved for the loan today we are just waiting on the settlement to go through tomorrow or Friday. That said, we have been without a 2nd vehicle since the 12th of August and we have three kids so I am not sure it is worth the hassle to wait a few more weeks :-)
    My biggest frustration is waiting on these internet guys to respond. So annoying..
    Sam,
    I am in North Florida and one of the dealers I went to said I could order the 2014 in any color combo I wanted without a deposit. I did this before when I bought my Pilot.
    In terms of pricing, I was given offered the 2013 price and the 2014 was only about $300 more.
    I am torn between the 2013 and 2014 in that scenario. While some feel that the 2014 will hold value longer since it is newer, the 2013 gives you a heads start so to speak on low mileage.
    I bought a 2011 Honda Pilot in April of 2010 because the demand was so high. Translation....my mileage seems very high for a 2011 even though it was purchased in 2010. So, I am debating whether to go this time for the 2014? Any thoughts?
  • pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    It appears that the $500 Flex Cash option did not continue or increase after Sept 3rd, so now those who waited and lost do we go 2014?
    I bought a EXL V-6 back in FEB. My out the door price which should not matter to you due to different state tax and dmv charges ran me 30k OTD.

Good luck with your deal. Say No to anything there selling in that back Office and you will be fine.

edited September 2013
    2014 model is a no brainer.... For 300 more dollars I'm sure the excess mileage with the 2014 will outweigh the depreciation value of a 2013 model. In 3 more months the 13 is considered a 1 yr old model.. and your 2014 model will be just brand new all yr long.. Higher mileage vehicles are still priced really good on these newer model Cars/ trucks.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    " The Camry is one tough nut to outsell"

Yep, especially when they sell Camry's in HUGE quantities every year to the car rental companies. Honda has never done that and when it comes to holding resale values that is a good thing.

The auctions are packed with ex Toyota rentals when they dump them en masse after a couple of years.

Still great cars but rental sales have a tremendous impact on their numbers.

Unless a person likes a soft, mushy ride (and some do) the Accord has a much better feel to it especially when pushed hard.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter would like to speak to a car shopper who would rather use the internet to do most of their shopping than go to the dealership showroom. If this is you, and you'd like to share your story, please send your daytime contact information to pr@edmunds.com no later than EOB Wednesday, September 11, 2013.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

"... In terms of pricing, I was given offered the 2013 price and the 2014 was only about $300 more..."

Are you referring to the sales price of the car?

MSRP for the 2013 EX with destination fee: $26,195
    MSRP for 2014 EX with destination fee: $26,470

Which is a difference of $275.

What was the actual sales price of the car, if you do not mind posting it here?
    MSRP of the 2013 EX-L with the $790 destination fee is $28,785.

You had mentioned that you were guaranteed a sales price of $24,248 through USAA, which includes the destination fee and a regional ad fee. If that is the case, that is savings of more than $4500.

Good luck getting the settlement and car shopping.
    Blue and Cars12345,

Can I also use your reference to bargain with Prime? I would be happy to make the deal if they agree to the price what you guys negotiated to.

Thanks!
    cars12345,

Did you finalized your deal with Prime? Signed the contract??
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    Good point Blue - I'm guessing moe was able to do the math and arrive at a similar conclusion - USAA is a very good company with very good programs available to its customers. There is a slight fee for their auto buying service, but it is worth it if you save a good chunk with little to no hassle. There is also a rebate sometimes if the vehicle is financed through USAA (rebate paid by USAA). They also have competitive auto loan rates so it is worth looking into for those of you who are USAA members.

Bill
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
    I am not sure using my name will help, since I did not end up buying the car from Prime.

You can use my negotiated price to bargain with them but remember that my deal involved $500 Flex cash.

Be forewarned that these guys are some of the worst sales guys I have ever met, so make sure that the car you want to buy is on their lot. Do not rely on a manager's word. Drive there and see the car in person first.

I am sure you have read some of my previous posts about Prime on this forum. I would recommend Honda Cars of Boston to anyone who does not want to deal with BS and or sleazy car salesmen.

At the end of the day, it was not just about price for me but also the buying experience and the dealership customer service.

Good luck and post your numbers once you make a deal.
    Thanks Blue.
    Yes, i have read through your post and also others.

My problem is i need a co-signer to get the honda finance and thus $500 flex cash. Since i don't have one, I am going with DCU finance. So happy to get the deal done at 24,900.

Would you be reference me to Honda cars of Boston? I would like to done with the deal ASAP. I am ready to pay the deposit today itself.

Thanks again.
    Sure. You can use me as a reference at Honda Cars of Boston. Ask for Ben C., the internet sales manager and tell him that Michael (the guy who bought the silver EXL a few days ago) referred you.

BTW, their sales price was $24,998 vs Prime's sales price of $24,900.

Give them a call and let me know how I can help you close the deal.
    Thanks Blue.
    I'll contact him and let you know how it went.
    I tried couple of time to get Ben C. online over the phone, but ended up in his voice mail. So far didn't get the call from him. I have wondered if he is on leave but the front office said he is working.
    The Prime honda says they have only one car in EX-L category and that too not in my color preference (but their inventory shows they have multiple car available), They were trying to sell the 2014 EX-L to me.

What is the good price can be paid for 2014 EX-L now?
    Is it a better deal to buy a 2014 over 2013 if it's few hundred above invoice price.

Very much appreciated any help.
    I can shoot him an email.

What is your first name and what color are you looking for?
    edited September 2013
    No offense but I do not trust any dealer's online inventory. If it is not a far drive for you, you should take a look at their car lot for any 2013s EX-L. Last week when I went there, one of the sales guys showed me a black/black EXL but I was not interested.

You are not going to get any deals on the 2014s right now. Brian posted some info about pricing on this forum.

The difference in price between the 2013 and 2014 model is less than $300 as far MSRP goes, BUT you are not going to get any 2014 models below invoice.
    Thanks Blue.
    My first name is Sivakumar.
    The color I am looking for is Black/Black.