Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1/2 & 3/4 Ton Pickups

omar29omar29 Member Posts: 1
I am about to order a 2002 Silverado LT 1500 and would like to know if anyone knows if there are going to be any differences from the 2001 models. The local dealer does not have any brochures or information yet(at least not any they are sharing). Any info appreciated.

Comments

• smith82smith82 Member Posts: 3
    anyone know if chevy makes a full size four door 1/2 ton 4x4 with a 5 1/2 or 6 ft bed? Something to compete with F150 Supercrew.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    1500HD
    Crew cab, 4 full size doors, 6.5 foot bed. Bigger than Supercrew though. Advantage of Supercrew with short bed, it fits in the garage. 1500HD has 10,000# tow capacity too. Basically, it's the 2500 (8600 GVWR) stretched.
  • hillhoundhillhound Member Posts: 537
    No major changes upcoming. Basically just some changes in options packaging, etc. Supposedly some items which have been options will be included in the base trim. Also they are changing the availability of some of the colors (not sure which ones sorry).
  • hsvgmanhsvgman Member Posts: 2
    This was posted on thedieselpage forum regarding changes for the GMC version of the 2500HD. See "2001 to 2002 GMC 2500HD changes?" topic at that site for more information...

Dear Mr. Vogel,

Thank you for communicating with the GM Internet Response Center and for your interest in GMC.

The following are new features, changes and deletions for the model year 2002 for the GMC Sierra
    2500 HD pickup.

New Features for 2002

New trim level content (1SA-Standard, 1SB-SL, 1SC-SLE, and 1SD-SLT)
    Bigger, bolder Sierra tailgate badge
    Automatic door locks, lock when out of park, unlock in park (with automatic transmission only)
    Sunshade extender, LH sunshade has pocket instead of storage clip
    7-way to 4-way trailer adapter incl. with Z82 Trailering Pkg.
    T96 Fog lamps now incl. with SLT
    PY0 Aluminum Wheels available on SL
    UN0 sound system now incl. with SLM
    AJ1 deep tinted glass now incl. with SLE and SLT
    DF5 inside rearview electrochromic mirror now incl. with SLE
    C60 Air conditioning now incl. with SL
    PCM Cold weather group: incl. DL8 heated power exterior mirror and C49 rear window defogger
    PDC Interior lock group: incl. AU3 power door locks and remote keyless entry SL

Changes for 2002

Carpet delete RPO changes from BG9 to PDP
    K47 air cleaner no longer standard, but is now optional
    1SA contains no 'SL' B-pillar badge

Deletions for 2002

UM6 AM/FM cassette
    VF7 Rear Spare Bumper delete
    71 Sunset Orange Metallic

Thank you again for contacting the GMC Internet Response Center and for your interest in GMC
    products. If you wish to speak to a representative in our GMC New Product Information Center,
    please call 1-888-988-7267 between the hours of 7 am and 10 pm Central time.

Sincerely,

William Moore
    Customer Relationship Manager
    GM Internet Response Center
  • hsvgmanhsvgman Member Posts: 2
    Just curious if anyone has noticed or looked into this.

Compare the sticker and invoice pricing for the GMC Allison transmission versus the Chevy version. The GMC pricing is $1032 / $1200 (invoice / sticker) while the Chevy is $1974 / $2295. Quite a difference for the same chunk of metal, I think.

Furthermore...
    On Chevy 2001 HD models, I actually saw both pricing schemes on similarly equipped Chevrolet 2500HD crew cabs. Unfortunately they weren't on the same lot at the same time or I would have had fun with the salesman!

The bottom line is:
    1)If you buy a Chevy with the higher sticker price, did you really buy two transmissions?
    or
    2)It makes the bottom line of a GMC 2500HD diesel/8.1 gas comparable, if not slightly cheaper than a similarly equipped Chevy.

Go figure. I like the styling of the Chevy better but can I find a Chevy not only with the right equipment but with the right sticker? With this difference and the generally higher resale of the GMC, the "professional grade" truck may make more cents...
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    ON GMC The automatic trans is included
    in the base price. Chevy is not.
    That explains the price difference when
    you go to the Allie auto....
  • chevytruck_fanchevytruck_fan Member Posts: 432
    thats really cool they are making the PYO wheels available on the SL. I don't like real fancy trucks and it always bothered me that you had to upgrade all sorts of stuff just to get the nice wheels.
  • 69ss39669ss396 Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone actually seen a new 2002HD? I am particularly interested in the visor upgrade which is supposed to include slide out extensions and be larger than the 2001. Mine is scheduled for build next Tuesday and I am hoping the early 2002's include the upgrades discussed in a prior message. Thanks-
  • revkerrevker Member Posts: 33
    Yeah, i've seen a 2002 HD ext. cab 4x4 LT at a dealer lot in Lansing, IL. Had 2 there, indigo blue and pewter. It does have the extension on the visors.

If you're truck is scheduled for build next tues. when did they say you should expect to take delivery of it?
  • tapper99tapper99 Member Posts: 10
    I picked up my 2002 2500hd Monday. The visors don't seem considerably larger but they do have the extenders. Driver side doesn't have anything on the underside (not even the clip anymore) and the pass. side has a plain basic mirror (no lights).
    Regarding delivery, the dealer had one they tracked that was built August 6th that arrived in Minneapolis on the lot August 10th (GMC). Hard to believe the paint could be dry. They figured within 1-2 weeks. I spoke to a friend who works at the largest Chevrolet dealer in Minnesota and he figured 3-4 weeks. Sold my Blazer today so hoping it arrives ASAP. Now I'm forced to drive a 1969 Chevelle or "the minivan" until delivery. 7 MPG and no heat/radio will have to do until then. Looking to immediately replace 245's with 285's, but a little concerned about clearance once plow is attached. Has anyone hung a V plow on their's yet?
  • rackmaster287rackmaster287 Member Posts: 7
    Hey tapper99 what engine did you get? I have a 2001 2500HD LS 3,800 miles with the 6.0 and its also tapper! I've been told by the dealer its a piston clearence problem with no fix yet but the engineers are working on it.I also wrote GM and was given the same story and a file number. Hope they do a better job than the ones that designed the engine. The truck runs good,15 MPG @ 60-70 MPH w/ 4.10 locker, but it raps louder than my mother's old '84 Toyota 4 cylinder. Lots-A-Luck!
  • jrkracejrkrace Member Posts: 32
    I hope you get your truck soon...I ordered a 2002 GMC HD in April...GM acknowledged the order on June 13 and guess what? NO BUILD DATE AS OF YET. Plus, I need this truck to push snow.Who knows when I'll get it. Also let me know how big a blade you put on it....People tell me 7.5 and others say 8.Thanks and good luck.
    I was told to expect the vehicle to be delivered by 9/14. I received a call 9/10 telling me that the build date was pushed out to the week of 10/8-10/12. Who knows when it will arrive. The only benefit to waiting is possibly getting some of the 6.0 problems fixed prior to delivery. Myself and some others all bought 8'-2" Boss V plows. They have some similarly equipped 2001's on the lot, but I really wanted some of the upgrades. We have no control over waiting, but it waould be nice if they'd keep the promise dates. I reserved a friends $2000 454 1/2 ton beater for plowing just in case today. Rusty old gray truck with carpeting for a seat. We call it the "Goat." Good luck!
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Check out www.gm-pickups.com A guy over
    there was having problems with the front end
    too low with his new HD. He has a 9 ft diamond
    on it. Directed him to www.timbren.com
    they have some helper device that he got and
    it took care of his sagging problem. He posted
    it works well and easy to install.........
    I have a new 01 ld 2500 with a 7 1/2 western
    ultra mount and no sagging problems. The 7 1/2
    is fine for my usage. My last western outlasted
    3 new 1/2 ton GM trucks (10 yrs) LOL...........
    Check out www.plowsite .com Lots of plowheads
    over there to help out.................Geo
    I too used Timbren load boosters on my full-size K-5 Blazer and they worked great. I had a 7-1/2' Western Pro. Excellent plow vehicle due to wheel base and visibility. I intend to install Timbrens on the new truck as well. Thanks for the references to the other sites. Sorry to stray off of the truck format.
  • steadskysteadsky Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2001 GMC 2500HD top of the line with all the bells and whistles...my bubble was popped when my wife noticed the Generic visors...she couldn't believe it...NO light up mirror, no covered mirror...so when the mirror is down, you see yourself...
    I looked at the 2001 Yukon's, they have the full blown extendable mirrors that even light up. Oh also...though I paid for the Deep Tint package, the rear window was not tinted and was explained to me without reason except if you order Defroster package, you dont get rear window tint
    Dale
  • steadskysteadsky Member Posts: 11
    How can I get to talk to someone at GM that can explain why for example, rear windows that have a defrost option do not have Deep tint? The area Rep for the San Francisco Bay Area will not do anything for me about this topic.
  • chester21chester21 Member Posts: 1
    I just ordered a new 2002 chevy ls ext cab short bed 4.8l engine. Had to order because no 2001 avaiable in options i wanted within 500 miles. But thats ok, build date is 10-15-01.Chevys are best truck around i own a 1992 chevy ext v-6 has 159k miles and runs like a champ.Going to do a little work on it like exhaust system and hard top tonneau cover any ideas on what kind of exhaust system to use for better performance and mileage on 2002 chevy?
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    wanted better performance, then why didn't you just spring the extra $600 for a 5.3L? That's cheaper than anything you could do to punch up the 4.8, the difference in gas mileage is next to nothing, and you could have probably gotten a 2001 model you could live with all the rebates.
    -- Don
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    should have ordered the v6 then swap out with a 502. Course would have to upgrade the trans either way. Probably the rear end to.
    Ordered GMC HD mid-June. Told build date was mid-September. Changed to October 8-12. Called October 16th, now the date is mid-November. I specifically ordered a fully optioned EC, but now due to the delays, I was forced to find a similarly equipped (selection is getting thin) EC 6.0 at another dealer. Ended up at $65 over invoice, but will have to be satisfied as truck will be used for plowing and I can't wait any longer.
  • bnosytbnosyt Member Posts: 23
    I am pretty sure the rear-window defroster can be had with the tinted windows. I remember seeing a 2001 1500 ExCab LT with both. I remember it being a little hard to see the defroster wires looking through the back glass. Not sure what to tell you, but to find a vehicle on the lot that you bought it from that has both.
  • jrkracejrkrace Member Posts: 32
    Called the GMC number..they told me that my truck was finally built on the 15th of October..Sheeesh...18 weeks...now they tell me I won't get it until the 29th of October. I told the dealer I am going to start looking around and may the better dealer win!
  • donjbakerdonjbaker Member Posts: 27
    I just p/u up my 2500HD w/ tinted windows & defroster. The truck that I ordered 6/23/01 still is not scheduled for production, so I drove 200 miles to find the truck with the options that I needed (except dual batteries). While I'm not sure why more plow trucks are not available with the defroster; there are a few out there - ask you local dealer to locate the truck with the options you want.

When my local dealer wouldn't p/u the truck, I call GM customer svc and had them use the vin# to locate the dealer that had the truck and worked with them.

I should have my truck back Friday with a new Boss 7.5 SD plow.

Good Luck
  • tsuburbantsuburban Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if Chevy plans on coming out next year with a 1500 crew cab, not the hd?

I like the regular 1500 extended cab with 5.3 engine but think it would be better if it came in the full crew cab with slightly more room and full size rear doors.
  • rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    Does anyone have the NW7- Traction Control on their 2WD trucks?

If so, please let me know how well this option works?

thanks,
    rcoos
  • luckystrikeluckystrike Member Posts: 6
    I notice my 3/4 ton truck with the towing package leaning when I picked it up[drivers side], but did not think much of it. Well I have had some people look at it and no one seems to know what's wrong. Has anyone expienced this?
  • teepleteeple Member Posts: 2
    I am planning the purchase of a new 2002 silverado, 1500 extended cab LT
    and want to tow a 24 ft Jayco tandem axle travel trailer that has a GVW rating of 6000 lbs and empty weight of 4000 lbs , 500 lb hitch weight and of course a equalizer hitch and torsion bars. does anyone have experience with the 5.3 liter 8 cyl engine in a similar consit. I want something that will pull the mountains in Pa and W.Va.
  • dmdbitdmdbit Member Posts: 23
    I've got a 1500 ext. cab 2wd that i use to pull a travel trailer that is 28' and about 6000 ready to go. I've got the 4.8 and it does well.Just be sure to get the3.73 rear axle.

mike b
  • rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    I'm looking at getting a GMC Sierra SLE 2WD regular cab short box. I don't want it for towing or hauling anything heavy.

My question is, should I get the 3.42 ratio or the 3.73 ratio? The SLE comes with the 4.8L V8 & automatic transmission. The 4.8L V8 is fine for me.

Thanks Ralph Coos
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    Depends. If you want to haul loads in your truck, the 3.73 will make that easier. If you just want to drive it, the 3.42 will give slightly better fuel economy.

Currently with my 4.8L 3.73 (std on 4wd) 4wd Reg Cab Longbed I'm getting 17-18 in town and 22-24 on the highway. That's about 3mpg better than when it was new. 27,000 miles.

Mike L
  • erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    I'd go with the 3.42. You won't have any problems with everyday driving or even towing 5000 pounds.
  • revkerrevker Member Posts: 33
    Hello all. I've got 2 '98 Blazers, 4x4 LS and LT. I pull a 4500lb boat w/trailer. both trucks have just about 70K miles. I am just changing the brake pads for the first time since owning it. problem i'm having is that i can't take off the rear brake rotor. the brake rotor has a score and i'd like to have it resurfaced at autozone. i've got 4 wheel disc brakes. the rear brake rotor is the drum type. i just can't pull it off like the ones in the front. i'm thinking maybe the parking brake is holding it. i tried tapping it with a mallet lightly but it's the same thing. is there something i'missed? calipers are already off the hub. anyone have done this before? any input on this matter is greatly appreciated. thanks.
  • yurian44yurian44 Member Posts: 25
    Sorry i can't help you, you'd have a better chance of a knowlegable reply in the maintenance channel
  • black_silverblack_silver Member Posts: 39
    I have a 2001 1500 LT 2WD with the traction control option (and locking rear end). It does a great job (although not as great as 4WD) on slippery Minnesota boat ramps and snow/ice.

Definitely worth the money (I think it was about $250 when I ordered my truck.)

Hans
  • sbcb1983sbcb1983 Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 2500hd 4x4 crew w/tow also leans to left. Luckystrike please let me know what happened with yours! Dealer is telling me nothing is wrong. Frame measures side to side off by 3/4 inch or more.
  • frontier3frontier3 Member Posts: 3
    Thought I would put Dual exhaust on mine new 2002, wanted to run right from the manifold, am being told it can't be done anymore because of the sensors and stuff, they can install a fake dual exhaust by running two pipes from an aftermarket muffler, but they have to reduce the size of of the crossover pipe and it won't help performance since the Chevy tailpipe is much larger. Not like in High School where Hooker Headers were king.
    This is the first Full Size truck I owned since High School, since the kiddies are grown and gone I thought I would splurge, it sure beats driving a Nissan.
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    I put the Borla Cat Back System on my 2000 Ext. Cab Short Box, it is not a "true" dual exhaust like the old days but it does ease up on flow restrictions inherent in the stock mufflers and sounds 100% better then stock. I have a link to pics in my profile if your interested in seeing what little detail I could get in the picture of the finished product.

Ray T.
  • jefcaljefcal Member Posts: 1
    2002 Silverado owners
    I want to purchase a 2002 silverado 2wd ext cab but need good fuel economy because I commute. Can any owners help me pick the right engine.
    jefcal
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    4.8 with 3.42 rear.
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    If you want the best economy, get the smallest engine you can. The V6 gets the best mileage, but I'm not sure you can get it in the ext cab truck. If you can't, the 4.8 will still get reasonable mileage.

I have a 4x4 1500 Reg Cab Longbed 4.8 5spd 3.73 and I get 17-18 around town and 22-24 on the highway. I'm not the first one away from a stoplight, nor do I drive less than 5 mph over the speed limit.

Mike L
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    get a V6 in x-cab but not in a GMC. That said, I agree with obyone on the 4.8. Very little diff. in mpg but much more power. I had a '99 4.8 for a commuter and really liked it.
  • nltnlt Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2001 GMC 1/2 SLT 4x4 5.3 Full tow package.I plan on towing a 6000lb 30 foot trailer.
    Any Ideas how my truck will do?
    I am going to purchase a leveling hitch. I also purchase an active suspension for the rear.
    Has anyone pulled a trailer that big with the same truck?
  • tomh12tomh12 Member Posts: 240
    I have towed that much (weight, not length) behind an older 1/2 ton GMC. Had the 3.73 gears and was constantly struggling on any kind of hill. I only did it a couple of times, on flat ground in Eastern Carolina before I got a larger truck. The trailer I towed was very square and box like which made wind resistance a problem. Is this a once in a while thing for short distance and no mountains, or are you going to be doing this frequently? If frequently, or in mountains, I think you will find you will want a 3/4 ton for power and safety.
    Tom
  • mcrmcr Member Posts: 15
    Tom is right. You will feel better towing that much weight with a 2500HD. Most experienced rv'ers use the 3/4 principle. That is, have your trailer at 3/4 of the weight of the trailer load rating of the tow vehicle. Seems to work out good too, since it will give you more stability and get you up the hills without bogging down.
    MR
  • nltnlt Member Posts: 8
    It's going to be a 4 times a year kinda thing.
    I didn't want a 3/4 ton because the ride is better unloaded for a 1/2 ton, but I think I either need to get a smaller trailer or a 3/4 ton truck. Thanks.
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    I agree with the others, since you already own the truck reduce the size of the trailer it seems a bit much for a 1/2 ton truck plus don't forget all the gear and family that goes inside. Your taking it to the upper limits or even higher of what your truck can safely handle both load and powerwise.

Ray T.
  • Rick05Rick05 Member Posts: 6
    Can anyone tell me about how good the gas mileage is on the 6.0 in these trucks? Thanks guys.
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    Is 6,000 pounds the max gross weight capacity of the trailer - or its unloaded weight?

I have looked at a few 30 foot trailers that only weigh 4,500 pounds -6,000 seems way heavy.

If the total weight of the trailer and gear is 6,000 pounds and you are planning on towing 4 times per year - I would keep the 1/2 ton. So what if it takes you 45 minutes longer to get to the camp site.
This discussion has been closed.