Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    pat565pat565 Member Posts: 11
    Which dealer on LI gave you that offer on GLS with optionpackage #2?Was that an automatic?I'm on LI looking for the same car.
  • Options
    reechzreechz Member Posts: 50
    advantage, in hicksville. automatic.
    hope that helps- probably heading there friday to pick one up
  • Options
    That's really a help.Thanks and good luck on your car.
  • Options
    Which dealership did you buy at and did you negotiate via email?Thanks
  • Options
    Unfortunately for me when I contacted Advantage by email,they would not give me anywhere near the $16,200 you got.Did you get the extra rebates or finance thru them?
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    No, we did not pay $16,150. Our purchase was for a new '07 Sonata SE V-6 in Feb '07. Rebates & dealer discount vary monthly.

(We did pay $16,650 plus $189 doc fee + ttl and included floor mats, but that was a different time and a different trim level.)

The present deal applies to any trim level with or without options. Their deals are available from the first to the last day of the month. Sometimes their website only shows the prices being in effect for the first two weeks of a month--it's just a matter of not updating the site often. New deals for a new month usually appear on the 3rd or 4th of the new month.
  • Options
    that's disturbing :confuse: . I have been dealing with the customer care manager directly. the sales staff weren't willing to go anywhere near my offer and it's been a couple of weeks of "back and forth" and a final "take it or leave it".
    i am planning on being there tomorrow to make the deal. if they try to reneg, then I will walk out.
    if you drop me a private email, i will let you know off-board how it progresses and the names of the people i've been talking to.

i've been weighing the gls w/ pop package vs the se vs the honda accord lx-p.

for the extra money, the only appealing features of the se are the wheels... not enough to pay the extra $$$$.

in an even cost world, I would take the accord lx-p in a flash, but a $4000 difference (if hyundai honors their quote) pushes the scale way over to hyundai.
  • Options
    I will do that,how do you send a private email on this board?
  • Options
    reech (@) yahoo.com
  • Options
    smithw14smithw14 Member Posts: 1
    Hey everybody! Love this forum! Ok, I've been researching a 2009 Sonota limited V6 without the nav system. I found a dealership in Tuscaloosa, AL (only about 45 minutes from where I live in Birmingham) that has on its website the v6 limited without nav for a sell price of $22,993. They are stating MSRP at $26,435, List Price at $24,993, and using the $2,000 rebate to get to the sell price. How does this sound to everybody? Think I can go lower? You can view the ad at:
    http://www.carexpress.com/Scripts/Sticker.dll?homepage=[630]&action=[DISPLAY]&ne- wused=[]&CarExpressCookie_Ver4=[7516023]&ResultsID=[1726071672]&STOCKNUMBER=[54.- 1527.2845]

or go to http://www.tuscaloosahyundai.com and search for the Sonotas. Thanks for your advice!
  • Options
    YitianYitian Member Posts: 9
    Purchased 09 Sonata SE(4 cyl.) + premium package from Upstate Anderson's Superstore, SC yesterday (12/27).

OTD 20,288 (after $1000 rebate + 0% APR)
    tax+tag $374

This may be not the best deal, but it's one I'm quite content with. The OTD may be ~$200 higher than the quote from Fairfax, VA.

I highly recommend this dealership, professional and friendly. Any buyers in SC should consider this dealership.
  • Options
    ljctxljctx Member Posts: 14
    Not a good deal. I bought my 09 Sonata Limited V6 WITH Nav in mid October for $22,990.00. in Fort Worth, Texas.If you do not want the Nav you need to get another $1,000 off the price. Good Luck.
  • Options
    milwaukeeguy1milwaukeeguy1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 02 Sonata GLS V6. Brought it brand new. The engineering and the quality of that thing did it for me. I'm looking for a replacement and although tempted by the good looks and the inexpensivenss of the brand, I am very reluctant in purchasing another one. Two incidents prompt me to look for the replacement:
    1. Was driving on the interstate one day and hit a ice storm. Pulled over on the shoulder and parked (mistake: parked on an uphill). After salt truck came by and sprayed the salt, attempts to get back on the road were almost futile. Sat spining the wheel for about 10 minutes before getting a bit of traction (while other cars front and behind pulled out and away they went). Realized that traction on this vehicle was poor.
    2. About 2 weeks ago, the temperature was below 0 and the wind was strong, sometimes up to 40 mph. The wind was blowing from the west. While driving southward Interstate 43 on a high rise, going less than 50 mph in a 55 mph zone, a gust of wind blew the vehicle sideway. I attempted to correct the vehicle by turning the wheel the other way and that started the fishtailing sequence on the freeway. Luckily no cars were around as we (wife and 6 months old baby) and the car were sliding all over 3 lanes. After what seemed like forever, I finally lost control and the vehicle began sliding backward. In slow motion, I was watching in horror at the median as the car kept on sliding toward it with the side where the baby in the carseat was situated. I still remembered that in panic I stomped on brakes and the wheel screeched. Luckily the car came to a complete stopped with the front facing the median. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw 3 lanes full of cars approaching. The thought of 'OMG what if they couldn't stop' came to mind. Fortunately they must have seen me did the little dance and the whole traffic flow came to rest about 5 yards away. Regaining my composure, I backed the car up a bit and started to drive down the interstate again, this time really slow and aimed for the very next exit, which was about 100 yards away. Sure enough another gust of wind came and gave me the sensation that the vehicle was going sideway again but this time no fishtailing. I was so glad to get off that freeway and made it home safely that day (going westward against the wind the rest of the trip home). The car had 1 year old all season tires and I am not an inexperiencd driver. So what gives? I guess it must be the crosswind stability which my Sonata lacks and this is due to the suspension engineering.

So poor suspension + poor traction = shaken confidence in the product. Not to mention that 1) Power radio's antena made clunking sounds and now wouldn't go down completey (dealer fixed it at 58K under warranty and sure enough it failed again after 60K which is beyond the bumper to bumper warranty) 2) paints peeled off the door handles (all four) and again at 40K which is barely beyond the 36K for paint warranty 3) brake components' tendency to rust and 4) the well-known hard shifting of the auto transmission when cold. I take good care of all of my cars because I tend to keep them for as long as I can but I'm surprised at the low quality of Hyundais. I guess you get what you pay for. It's time to part with my Sonata soon and too bad b/c it is the first Hyundai that I wanted to give the brand a try but it will be my last Hyundai.

Good luck with your Sonata.
  • Options
    awriterawriter Member Posts: 4
    Sorry - I have to agree with a previous poster: not a good deal. Here's what I call a Good Deal (which I haven't seen beat by anyone posting here):

2009 4 cyl Limited, w/PZEV engine - which in RI means Hyundai must provide a 15 year, 150,000 Emissions Warranty.

With Nav and Voice Command (a feature worth more than they're charging, IMHO). With every available option, including carpet mats, all-weather mats, cargo mat, cargo net and even cargo tray (all weather tray). And all servicing included for the first 15,000 miles. Price: $19,989.

Now that's what I call a Good Deal. {s}
  • Options
    investingdadinvestingdad Member Posts: 23
    After salt truck came by and sprayed the salt, attempts to get back on the road were almost futile. Sat spining the wheel for about 10 minutes before getting a bit of traction (while other cars front and behind pulled out and away they went). Realized that traction on this vehicle was poor.

Hmm, and what kind of tires did you have? What was the tread depth? To say it's the car's fault in this kind of situation seems rather ridiculous to me. Do you have an Auto or a Manual? Even a 4x4 with crap tires isn't going to go in ice. You spun the wheels? That means you melted and refroze the snow/ice you were on. I'm sure you didn't move and I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts your tires were shot.
  • Options
    Sorry - I have to agree with a previous poster: not a good deal. Here's what I call a Good Deal (which I haven't seen beat by anyone posting here):

2009 4 cyl Limited, w/PZEV engine - which in RI means Hyundai must provide a 15 year, 150,000 Emissions Warranty.

With Nav and Voice Command (a feature worth more than they're charging, IMHO). With every available option, including carpet mats, all-weather mats, cargo mat, cargo net and even cargo tray (all weather tray). And all servicing included for the first 15,000 miles. Price: $19,989.

You didn't say what your sticker was. Using the info on Hyundai's site, I'm guessing around 26000. Your final price represented a 30% discount.

My GLS with 5MT was 19500 and I paid 15050. A 29.5% discount.

I'd say we negotiated with roughly the same end result.
  • Options
    brant99brant99 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 4-cylinder Sonata Limited (no Nav) from Bob Dunn Hyundai in Greensboro last Sept after shopping the Raleigh/Fayetteville/Greensboro area for a few days.

My final negotiations involved Omar at Johnson Hyundai in Cary, NC and Lee at Bob Dunn. Overall, both were very good to deal with.

Omar was very personable, knowledgeable, and was not high-pressure. However, once in the final stages of making a deal, he did attempt to use what I believe to be a dealer-directed tactic to bad-mouth/cast-doubt-about the competition (Bob Dunn); this put me off somewhat and I quickly informed him to refrain from continuing to use this tactic with me which he did.

Lee was straight-forward, continued to ask for my business, did not comment about the competition, and was especially responsive via email.

Although I live 9 miles from Johnson Hyundai, I made the 150 mile round-trip drive to Bob Dunn because I got a significantly better deal than what is indicated in the original post. My car-buying experience with Bob Dunn was excellent and there were no hidden surprises whatsoever in my deal with them.

Johnson is a shiny new dealership in Cary with lots of amenities. Bob Dunn is an older facility without the frills. I suspect Johnson has much higher facilities overhead than Bob Dunn, thus the use of the bad-mouth tactic to turn business away from Bob Dunn.
  • Options
    peacefrog_0521peacefrog_0521 Member Posts: 1
    Hello All - I had been wanting a newer Elantra to replace the 2003 Elantra I smashed up a couple weeks ago. But the Elantra SE trim level wasn't available used, and the GLS didn't have all the little things I wanted like a trip computer, traction control, etc. I was going to settle for a 2007 Elantra GLS at what seemed an amazingly low price of $9966 with 36k on it, cheaper than any other Elantra within 100 miles.

But then yesterday morning I checked Autotrader.com again and saw a 2008 Sonata GLS 4cyl for $9995 with 41k. It had a free Carfax report which showed it was previously a rental vehicle. I went to the dealer to check it out, and decided I liked it enough to buy it.

It's Deepwater Blue with the PEP pkg and sunroof. I wish I could have gotten an SE or Limited with leather seats, but I decided I could live without them (even though my last four vehicles in 10 years have had leather seats). I bought it from Snethkamp Chrysler Jeep in Redford, MI (near Detroit). $9995 + tax title etc; $10834 out the door. I decided it was a good enough price not to haggle over it. The salesman was very professional and courteous, did not give a hard sell and while he did offer an extended warranty, he didn't push it. I did not have to deal with a "business manager" or anything else, and I paid cash for the car.

He explained that the car was priced so cheaply because they are working with a new marketing company who is using this strategy to try to get more traffic through the dealership. Seems to be working.

So far, so good. I expected better fuel economy with the 4 cyl, but it is a lot of metal to move around. Will know more after I go back to work and log more highway miles. I love the color, and I'm still getting used to the seats. I especially like that the headrests have fore/aft adjustment. XM radio subscription is inactive, not sure if I'll activate it as I've already put in my FM transmitter for my iPod. Seat cushion is a bit short and soft, I may try to de-trim it and add some memory foam.

I'm hoping to check in on the carspace forums to see what mods are available. :)
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Congrats on the new (old) car! I am looking for exactly the same kind of car, although I would like a lighter color. I have zeroed in on several cars at around $10,750-10,990 asking price and am going out now to see if these folks are willing to deal on this last day of the year. I would like a car with less than 40k miles and around 3.5 years of warranty left. I only drive 6-7,000 miles a year so with 35k miles or so I'd be able to use up all the warranty.

If I can't find a great deal today, I'll wait until next year. I'm in no hurry (yes, I am a dealer's worst nightmare). I might even wait until next fall or winter, when used 2009 Sonatas should be widely available.
  • Options
    carshopper101carshopper101 Member Posts: 2
    Hi we've been given a price of $18,800 on a 09 4cyl SE AT. This is just a barebone SE with no additional options. MSRP was $22,800 so we're basically getting $4000 off which is also the advertised deal. I'm wondering if we can get an even better deal or is this as good as we should expect in the Chicago area?
  • Options
    lmvine1lmvine1 Member Posts: 7
    Purchased a 09 GLS with PEP & floor mats at Fairfax Hyundai for $16,391 OTD. The price quote was ~ $600 lower than they have on their website.. I had to drive 165 miles to pick up but over $2K lower than local dealer. On the way home the computer said avg of 37 mpg with speed 45-60 mph..

Happy with the car & the deal.
  • Options
    SonataShopperSonataShopper Member Posts: 9
    Hi,
    Can you please post breakdown of the OTD price? Also does PEP has moonroof? I am trying to buy same car in NJ and need some idea.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    PEP doesn't include sunroof, that is PEP plus. Check Hyundai website.
    OTD is freight, taxes, processinf fee, tag, title. In VA most dealers charge a ~$380 processing fee. Not that high in some states. YMMV
  • Options
    I just bought Sonata GLS automatic with option package #2 for $16,800 +TTL from Huntington Hyundai on Long Island.Great experience,no pressure.I went to this dealership after Atlantic Hyundai played the despicable bait and switch with me,when I brought my deal from their internet manager,into the dealership and they refused to honor it and wanted to charge me $2,000 more!!!
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Hyundai Motor America, is trying to woo skittish buyers by promising to let them return cars free for up to a year if they lose their jobs and can't make the payments.

The "Hyundai Assurance Program" applies to customers stricken by misfortune outside of their control, such as losing their job, becoming disabled or losing their drivers license for medical reasons. It covers depreciation up to $7,500.

John Krafcic, president of Hyundai Motor America, said traditional incentive spending in the fourth quarter was about half as effective industrywide compared with the same quarter in 2007.
  • Options
    cvs8flozcvs8floz Member Posts: 1
    Took delivery of a 2009 Sonata 4-Cyl Limited PZEV w/Nav purchased from Mirak Hyundai in Arlington, MA yesterday, Jan 5, 2009.

Sticker price on vehicle was: $24,150 base price + $1,250 Nav System + $90 floor mats + $85 sunroof wind deflector + $695 freight = $26,270 total sticker price.
    I noticed that the base price for this vehicle currently listed on the Hundai website is $400 higher ($24,550) than the one on the car I got!! It looks like Hyndai must have increased its pricing at some point, you might want to pay attention to this fact when you pick out your vehicle and try to find the one with the lower sticker price! I'd like to know if other people have noticed a similar discrepancy and if there is an explanation for it.

I traded in a 2002 4-Cyl Honda Accord EX with 82,500 city miles in fair condition. Hard to know exactly what I got for the trade, but after talking to the salesman at Mirak and at other dealerships I figure it was $5,000 max. After all the negotiations were done, I ended up getting $8,108 off (including the value of the trade-in) in addition to the $2,000 rebate, for a final purchase price of $16,162. With the 5% Mass sales tax of $808, reg/title fees of $75 and a document prep fee of $285, the grand total came to $17,330.

I don't know if this is the absolute best price I could have gotten, there are 3 other Hyundai dealers in the Greater Boston area but Mirak is by far the closest to my house and I plan to get the car serviced there. The shopping experience was low pressure and pleasant enough. I did not get quotes from any other Hyundai dealers. I test-drove the Altima and considered the Fit, but ruled out the new Accord, Camry, Mazda6, Malibu because these cars have gotten too big and I park on city streets. I figure any of these models similarly equipped would have cost about $5,000 more. If the Sonata turns out to be reliable, it will seem like I got a bargain.
  • Options
    jsVAjsVA Member Posts: 2
    I think I have a deal for the 09 Sonata GLS (4cl, automatic transmission) with just the base option package (though floor mats and mudflaps are included) for just less than $16,000 out the door. I feel like this is a pretty good deal even though it is essentially the most basic model out there, but would love to hear what other people think. The price breakdown is $14350.00 for the vehicle + about $1600 in taxes and fees (incl. $395 processing fee and $695 frieght).
  • Options
    tkachuk07tkachuk07 Member Posts: 18
    Looks very good to me.. I don't know what rebates you're getting though. Do you get loyalty or military rebates etc?
  • Options
    jsVAjsVA Member Posts: 2
    Nope, no additional rebates, and using my own financing.
  • Options
    See my message above #5917 for the deal I got.. I recommend the PE pkg.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    firerfirer Member Posts: 3
    would you mind pass me which dealer you buy the car? pass it to me gcmcjie@gmail.com. many thanks.
  • Options
    Oops, my deal was message 5914. Dealer mentioned.
  • Options
    which dealer you got this deal? could you please pass me private message to gcmcjie@gmail.com. thanks.
  • Options
    I just bought a new Sonata 2009 GLS Auto I-4 with Popular Equipment Package from FAIRFAX with OTD $16246 including $695 freight, $389 processing fee, and tax. I negotiated the price online and picked up the car in local after driving ~370 miles (sound crazy, but save the money).

The agent vicient is very helpful and friendly. No hassle, no hidden fee, the whole pick up procedure went through very quickly and smoothly. BTW, I pay by cash, no finance.

After driving back of 370 miles, the average mileages is 36.8/gallon, pretty good.
  • Options
    alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Sounds like you got a great deal, your OTD price is about $300.00 cheaper than the best price I've seen locally before TT&L.
  • Options
    idavidsonidavidson Member Posts: 41
    With the 2009 Sonata there is now
    a $2000 rebate everyone gets
    $1500 loyalty rebate and
    even military ones.

Not all qualify so please list prices
    before rebates so we can compare apples
    to apples.
  • Options
    Can you please explain what you mean by "everyone gets $1500 loyalty rebate and even military ones"? There is no loyalty rebate mentioned on hyundaiusa.com for the Sonata in my area, as there was in the recent past ($500 then). Also I think you or someone in your immediate family (?) needs to be in the military to get the military rebate. Thanks.
  • Options
    jackburton1jackburton1 Member Posts: 14
    I can confirm

There is a 1500 loyalty rebate for current Hyundai owners in addition to the 2000 on the 2009 Sonata.

Anyone think I can do better then 18450 OUT THE DOOR on a 2009 SE 4 Auto with 2000 and 1500 rebate included?

I was hoping for 19000 total out the door for an SE 6, but that may be too agressive even with extra 1500.
  • Options
    What state do you live in? The $1500 loyalty rebate is not available in all states, e.g. MN. Or maybe it is a dealer-offered rebate vs. a rebate from HMA?
  • Options
    FrankGreenFrankGreen Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I must say that i had the complete opposite experience with Greensboro Hyundai, i had three Hyundai in my family mine is 2005 sonata and son is 2006 Elantra we bought them at southern states in Raleigh and had a horrible experience,my wife wanted to get rid of the minivan and get an SUV so we bought a 2008 Santa Fe last month and got $4500 off.

I did Internet shopping before buying and sent emails to several dealerships, the lowest quote was from Lee at Greensboro Hyundai and the second was from Johnson Hyundai In Cary, Greensboro's quote was $1100 less than Johnson's.

I confirmed the color and option with both by email, on Saturday we mad the drive to Greensboro from Raleigh got to the dealer and found out that they did not have the car in the color they told me they did, and when they convinced me to settle for another color they had it turns out that the price i was quoted on line included some rebates that i did not qualify for apparently Hyundai has rebates for every one and others for people in the army and recent college grads ext....

when i told them that i was disappointed in their misleading quote they said they had no way to know what rebates i qualify for, and they gave me a second price which was higher than Johnson's quote, when i told them that they offered to match it and later beat it by $100 it was a lengthy process and reminded us of southern states experience and it wasn't a surprise when we learned that they are the same company owned by the Dunn family .

We wanted a specific color they said they will get it for us and deliver it to our house, we did not feel we could trust them after they changed the numbers on us so we left.
    The next day we went to Johnson Hyundai the Internet salesman was very professional and explained things about the vehicle we did not know, the color we wanted was sold so they gave us an option to get another Santa Fe same color with a more expensive package and split the difference we were delighted that they worked with us.
    I agree that the facility at Johnson Hyundai is way over the top, the building the service area are top notch, but i did not feel that their overhead has anything to do with giving us a deal we felt every body from the salesman to the managers wanted to please us and make us comfortable, they said with a bigger overhead makes them try harder to sell more cars and give people better deals.
    I say do you homework on line but be sure of what rebates you receive in the quote and make sure the dealer has the car you want before you drive all the way to them like what happened to us.
    good luck
  • Options
    I am in NJ and only 1 dealer had it listed on their website, but when I bourght it up to a few others, they said it was in effect.

$1500 on top of 2000 on a 2009 Sonata if you are a current Hyundai owner.
  • Options
    Interesting! Hyundai's own website shows no such offer in NJ. Sometimes the web sites don't get updated right away... or it could be a special offer from NJ Hyundai dealers, not from HMA. Anyway, you Hyundai owners in NJ have a great deal available to you!
  • Options
    Seems to be an ok time to buy.

Approved for 5.79% for 48 months, not bad either I guess.

Would really like the V6 SE, but best price was 20,450 outthe door and just a bit more then I want to spend.
    19k I would buy it :)

18450 is what I am looking at for the Se 4 auto, but dealer does not have it on his lot (no Se4's at all actually).

Will do my best to push 18k even and buy myself a new car this weekend :)
  • Options
    You might check the rates--was that from the dealer? I could get 4.49% for 60 months on a new or used car at a local bank when I bought a car a few days ago, but went with special 2.99% financing for 60 months from the manufacturer instead. You might be able to find better than 5.79%, depending on credit score.
  • Options
    Actually, that was from a bank, not dealer.

bankruptcy 8 years ago, but even with my FICO is 750ish.

Hmmm, will have to see if local bank or even dealer is better.
  • Options
    palokpalok Member Posts: 14
    Actually, that's the dealer's decision, and it may be a better option than paying interest on inventory. A $19000 sale is better than paying interest. Make your offer, sales are down right now.
  • Options
    I am certainly going to try :)
  • Options
    Ok, well the desk manager wouldn't take 19, or 19,500 to the GM, but he did take 20k total out the door on a 2009 SE V6.
    Breakdown:
    MSRP was 24,435
    Selling Price 21,236.26
    Tax 1486.54
    NJMV tire fee 7.50
    Online processing fee 7.70
    MV 264
    Credit Fee 99
    Doc fee 399

Total of 23500
    - 2000 rebate
    -1500 lyoalty fee

$20,000 total take delivery tomorrow.
  • Options
    A credit fee of $99? Doc fee of $400? By my math, you paid $777 in fees. That's a blatant rip off. Nothing but profit padding. I bought mine in Doylestown, PA and the fees were:

22.50 title fee
    36.00 registration
    5.00 tire tax
    15.45 electronic registration fee
    5.00 lien fee
    100.00 documentation fee
    10.00 tag fee

Grand total of $194 for all fees.

And they charged sales tax BEFORE applying the rebates?? I think you got ripped there as well. My dealer took the rebate off the selling price and THEN charged tax.

Here's how mine went:
    • MSRP = 19135
    • Fred Beans Price = 17998
    • Less 2000 deduct = 15998
    • Plus 6% sales tax of 959.88 = 16957.88

By taking the rebate first, my tax bill was lowered by $120. The additional rebate I got from the dealer was $950, which was applied after tax. But that was a dealer incentive with special rules. My out the door price was $16200 after all taxes and fees.

You paid an extra $245 in tax because they took the rebate AFTER you paid tax. I have to wonder if they pocketed this.
  • Options
    I agree 1000% and did not see all the fees.

BUT, I did negotiate the out of door price, so to me, I do not care where they allocated the fees.

The BEST deal I could find out of 10 dealers I dealt with was 19,750 for the SAME car before Tax and fees.

In NJ at least, they have to charge you tax on the rebates (I remember this from when I sold cars briefly about 12 years ago).

I was strictly looking for the best deal out of pocket.

That is the only thing that concerned me.
    If another dealer had fees that were 50% less, but the deal was 21k out the door, that's not better then 20k out the door on same vehicle.

What car/options did you pay 16,200 out the door for?

I pad 20k out the door on a 2009 SE V6.