Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• Options
    frankpcbfrankpcb Member Posts: 27
    I called Mazda's headquarters in California and the 6 is coming late this fall, probably in NOv. according to them, and only the sedan, no hatchback or wagon version for us, unless we complain about it like I did. Just bought a 2002 protege es loaded with all the options but a 5 speed no auto, boy was it hard to find one. Looking foward to trading up to the 6 in a few years, have had 2 mazda's before (626 sedan and hatchback) both were great cars.

Frank
  • Options
    rsparrowrsparrow Member Posts: 60
  • Options
    ickes_in_mnickes_in_mn Member Posts: 40
    Most reports and quotes from Mazda people say that the 5-door and wagon will be sold in the US, likely in the spring of '03.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    It'll probably be too late for me. We found a buyer for our 626 and I doubt my wife can wait that long. :-(

-juice
  • Options
    bobbyknightbobbyknight Member Posts: 121
    Did you guys check out the Mazda 6 article in CAR magazine(or was it TopGear?) Overall, the article was more than favorable, they stated that the interior quality was second to none, and that the handling rivaled the Mondeo for best in class. I can't wait!
  • Options
    subzero206subzero206 Member Posts: 111
    that body kit is tight!
  • Options
    CAR magazine. Motor Trend also has a short preview (only with PR photos) in their new issue. I would think that C&D, R/T, and Automobile will likely have something too this month. Automobile's will likely be the same as CAR because the two are connected somehow.

Anyway, MT both loved it and was lukewarm. They say the ride and handling are excellent and the car is overall comparable to an Audi A4 in execution. The last paragraphs says that they don't think Mazda went far enough, however, to attract attention.

Given CAR's generally positive review, we'll see what the other's say.
  • Options
    ambullambull Member Posts: 255
    Like an A4 for a lot less $$$ - I like it! As far as the attention factor, it's a sleeper, which I like too. The hatchback is a little better looking, so it should attract some more attention.
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    here is a link for a cool Mazda 6 screensaver from the mazda of canada website...enjoy

Rich

http://www.mazda.ca/eng/down_the_road/

• Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    This week's Business Week says the 6 is built on a Mondeo chassis, starts at $20,000 and is due 'later this year.'
  • Options
    ickes_mobileickes_mobile Member Posts: 675
    THe Mazda6 is developed on an independent chassis, not that of the Mondeo.
  • Options
    Do we KNOW that BW is full of it on this? Is it not possible that the next Mondeo and the 6 SHARE a chassis, a chassis that may have in fact been developed by Mazda? And have you heard the rumours that the next Mondeo will also be sold by Mercury dealers in the USA and Canada? If so, you wanna bet whether they come from the Flat Rock plant?

Normally writers at BW get their facts DIRECTLY from the company. I wouldn't be so fast to call them wrong. What is your source?
  • Options
    ambullambull Member Posts: 255
    johnclineii, you said "Business Week says the 6 is built on a Mondeo chassis", which has never been mentioned before, so we suspect it to be false. What you talk about in your follow-up post is "the next Mondeo will be built on the Mazda 6 chassis". See the difference?

BTW, I found a link to the article in question:
    http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/02_18/b3781112.htm
  • Options
    nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    I have read in other foreign car mags who tested the 6, they were told by mazda the 6 was built on a mondeo chasis. But I did not have time to check out the specs on the mondeo, anyone care to confirm?
  • Options
    ...that the Mazda6 is not built on the Mondeo chassis. It looks like there may be some parts bin pieces between the two, but overall the cars are separate. You do have to wonder why the cars are not based on the same platform since they're the same size car. I believe I read that the Mazda6 will be the last independent Mazda product with them taking over more responsibility for Ford's small car programs and engines.
  • Options
    According to the Northeast Zone office of Mazda the mazda 6 is on an all new platform. There are some similarities with the Mondeo platform but it is not shared.
    Mercury has already squashed the idea of bringing over the Mondeo for Mercury in the US market. US certification is the hold up...I'm not so sure this is totally dead issue but its on life support.

M6 will be built in Hiroshima, japan and Flat Rock, MI...Cars for North American ops will be built in Flat Rock.
  • Options
    tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    Business Week said "based on the next generation Mondeo", not the 2001 gen. So, Ford will have a Mazda 6 based Mondeo in a few years.

Also, no need to complain about Mazda not offering 6 hatch and wagon, they come a year after the sedan.
  • Options
    I can complain - that's too late for me. Already purchased a Subaru Legacy L wagon, last Friday.

Mazda waited too long to update the 626. It had been the same basically since 1993, almost a decade! The wife had a 1995 and would definitely have considered the 6 if a 5 speed hatch or wagon were here.

I have a Miata, too, at least.

-juice
  • Options
    of the Mazda6 from the international press launch in Italy. Same photos as Autoweek had, except for one unique interior shot. They said:

Taut, agressive, athletic exterior...

The taillights for NA will have red backgroud with clear lenses over the bulbs so as not to look like they are copying Lexus or Nissan...

BMW quality interior design and materials...

Excellent handling based on European settings...

Notchy 5-speed in the pre-production car...

Overall, the car may earn them a bite of the midsize market where they haven't really competed for a while.
  • Options
    mrdetailermrdetailer Member Posts: 1,118
    Has always been considered notchy in any review I have ever read on the manual transmission. Personally I'd rather know that it is going into the gear without guessing.

Just finished reading the Canadian Driver review. Wow, you mean that it handles even better than the current models. Once my wife was on a canyon road she didn't like. Took the 35 MPH road curves and all at about 50. No skids, no problem.
  • Options
    The show car's shifter was like buttah.

Mazda makes some of the best (Miata).

-juice
  • Options
    kenokakenoka Member Posts: 218
    Hi all, I'm new here, so forgive me if this has already been discussed. I followed the link to the spanish article with photo gallery, and noticed something in a couple of the photos. The gray hatchback has a pair of little black plastic things on the bumper in front of each headlight. They look to me like windshield washer housings. Does anyone know what these are? If you want to see the photo, plese go to the address below:

http://www.km77.com/marcas/mazda/6_02/gra/26.asp
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The ones at the NYIAS had those things on them as well. I assumed they are headlight washers as well.
  • Options
    No "first drive" of the Mazda6 in the June volume of Automobile magazine or in Road and Track. Granted, these would have only been brief descriptions of the 4-cyl. European spec car from the launch in Rome detailed in Car, Auto Week, and Car and Driver, but it would have been something.

I've seen the headlight washers on pics of cars intended for the european and Japanese markets. I hope they make it here. Winter in Minnesota means your headlights get pretty dirty even on short commutes. I also hope they have the turnsignal on the fender, just behind the wheel.
  • Options
    When was the actual launch in Europe?
    I also like the VW'esque antenna mounted at the rear of the roof. OK everyone, what's the likelihood that the headlight washers and roof antenna make it onto the US version?
  • Options
    bpibpi Member Posts: 120
    Roof antenna - 100%
    Headlight washers - maybe 25% (and on the V6 models only)
  • Options
    jim_loves_carsjim_loves_cars Member Posts: 190
    Side Marker Lights - 99%

They've just been added to the Mazda Protege5 as part of a "mid-cycle upgrade." I'll bet it's going to be part of the new corporate look.

The P5 also has the roof-mounted antenna, so the 6 having one is a sure thing.

I'd give the headlight washers more like a 60% chance of making it. After all, if we're discussing the feature here, it's bound to attract people to the car. Just what Mazda needs!

-jim
  • Options
    I hope they would make it. I have them on my Jetta, and they have helped me from getting into several accidents when changing lanes on the highway. Also, they help let pedestrians know you are turning into the crosswalk on the opposing street as well. A true safety feature.
  • Options
    From the CarsEverything article:

"Outstanding durability, sufficient to justify a 10-year, 240,000 km warranty (149,000 mile) and enable an oil change interval of 12,500 km (7,776 miles)."

http://www.carseverything.com/content/article/1346.3/

So is "justify" equivalent to "we will offer"? How great would it be if Mazda could force Hyundai to pull all advertising stating they have the best warranty of any manufacturer? :D

Ken
  • Options
    From the CarsEverything article:

"Outstanding durability, sufficient to justify a 10-year, 240,000 km warranty (149,000 mile) and enable an oil change interval of 12,500 km (7,776 miles)."

http://www.carseverything.com/content/article/1346.3/

So is "justify" equivalent to "we will offer"? How great would it be if Mazda could force Hyundai to pull all advertising stating they have the best warranty of any manufacturer? :D

Ken
  • Options
    That portion of the article was talking ONLY about the 4 cylinder gasoline engine. I doubt seriously you will see a warranty increase of anything even resembling that, if any at all...

Sorry to bust your bubble! :)
  • Options
    Anybody have a factual source for when we can expect to see the sedan in dealerships on this side of the pond? What about the hatch? The wagon?
  • Options
    tiredofmanualtiredofmanual Member Posts: 338
    I wouldn't say a ridiculously long powertrain warranty is out of the question. Ford has been giving 100,000 mile powertrain warranties on and off as promotions on the Focus for the last year, but then again, that is on the proven Zetec engine.
  • Options
    and, in the case of the hapless Ford Focus, to instill confidence in a car that has recall after recall after recall. Dubious reliabilty. But then that's true of Hyundai, too! Incentives are offered only when they are necessary to sell cars. Mazda already offers a longer warranty than Toyota or Honda...
  • Options
    verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    John, don't compare a Ford and a Hyundai. It's insulting... to the Hyundai. After the Excel, Hyundai decided it could not compete with Ford in terms of unreliability. Hyundai is going up in reliability, whereas Ford doesn't even murmur 'Quality is Job#1 anymore.'

Nissans and Mazdas are as good as Toyotas or Hondas. In terms of my family's experience, the Hondas and Mazdas have both been tops along with Subaru and BMW.

When you toss 'Ford' out, be careful. Don't throw blue ovals around carelessly. Very few automakers in the MODERN WORLD have reliability problems like Ford does. The data have shown this; GM and Chrysler are ahead of Ford, and Hyundai is at least above Chrysler.
  • Options
    tiredofmanualtiredofmanual Member Posts: 338
    Recalls have very little to do with reliability and I know you know this. However, I don't expect the tone of your posts to change in the next year or so as Foci by the thousands hit 100,000 miles.

So anyway, back to the point of my previous post: FoMoCo has offered 100,000 mile powertrain warranties on the Zetec engine. Now they have their new line of engines, of which they are very proud. A 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, while unlikely, should not be a surprise if offered.
  • Options
    It would seem strange to me for them to even mention 10 years and 149,000 miles if they had absolutely no intention of offering those terms.
    "We're confident enough in our new engine line that we could offer a 10 year/149,000 mile warranty...but we won't". Also on the subject, what is the longest warranty Ford offers on the Duratec 3.0 liter V6? Obviously Mazda can't offer two different warranties on the two engines.
  • Options
    There was some warranty talk at the national dealer meeting a few months ago...I suspect "IF" they change the warranty it will go to a 4 yr/50K...but don't count on anything soon
  • Options
    Mazda's B2B warranty is potentially longer at 3/50 vs. 3/36, but Nissan, Subaru, and Toyota offer 5/60 on the powertrain. I'd prefer that instead, especially since I wouldn't drive more than 12k miles per year.

Honda's is the shortest, at 3/36 period.

I think Mazda could beef theirs up a bit.

-juice
  • Options
    Mazda does have some warranty advantages.

1. loaner cars
    2. roadside assistance

Many of the Asian brands fail to include these items as part of the warranty. To many consumers these items are a bigger benefit than a little longer powertrain coverage.
  • Options
    Yep, but Subaru and Toyota offer roadside assistance too. Nissan doesn't, however. My Subaru dealer offers a free loaner.

So, not bad but not class leading like it could be.

-juice
  • Options
    The only way you get a loaner with Mazda is if your car has to be kept overnight. If I wanted to take my car in the night before to get it worked on the next day, I would not get a loaner. Believe me, I speak from experience. I had a 2001 Protege, when this loaner thing was in effect. They told me I would only get one if my car was kept overnight. They didn't care if I had to take off work or not.

I like VW's customer service A LOT better than Mazda's.
  • Options
    Gaithersburg Mazda would offer us a loaner, but service and parts prices were high enough to offset that cost. They charged use $220 for an O2 sensor for the 626. A gas cap for the Miata was $28. Ouch.

-juice
  • Options
    Has anyone seen any info regarding the expected fuel economy of the 6?
  • Options
    didn't have fuel economy standards. I would expect that it would be very close to that of the Mondeo since they have similar powertrains, size, and weights.
  • Options
    Would I look too lazy if I asked what those numbers were instead of researching?
  • Options
    ...that's why I told you what I thought the Mazda6 would be similar to rather than looking the info up myself before posting...
  • Options
    ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    ...but the 6 really interests me. I love the fact that this car will be offered in four-door hatchback form (the first non-Saab mid-sized car in a while here to do so) and will be reasonably priced (I assume?). Any factoids posted here (without my having to read 700 posts) would be greatly appreciated.
    Also, is this car built on the Mondeo platform? From what I've seen, I love the way it looks, and I also like its size (that it's a bit smaller than the current giganto 'mid-sized' Camry and Accord, yet bigger than the Civic/Corolla/Protege).
  • Options
    seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    states that it is NOT based on the Mondeo platform. But from time to time, people in the Townhall say it is. I'm pretty sure it is a Mazda chassis that's not shared with Ford.