Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lincoln Aviator

Comments

• Options
    golon58golon58 Member Posts: 1
    i surprise when i went to the lincoln ford part to buy just only on piece of molding to my lincoln aviator 2003 ,in some way i lose that piece of molding who go in the ritgh side upper glass third row passanger this glass it is stady glass ... the thing is the lincoln ford part do not sale that molding alone , in my situation just is only a piece of plastic cover .in my understand this piece of molding cost at list less of 50.00$ .and how the lincoln ford dont sale this piece of part alone ,does sale the hole glass with the cover for $1,200.00 dollar i think does guys is a thief, please if some vary can help me to find this cover molding part email me am i buy thank you....
  • Options
    d21winslowd21winslow Member Posts: 2
    cant help you with the noise. But i have been an installer for 10 year and i had the same prob with my 2004 aviator with the 6disc nav. unit. what you will need to do is take the unit out of the dash disconnect all the wiring plugs from the back of the unit then reconnect them. This will reset the unit,this is the only way i found to work after 4 hour of trying everything else. hope this helps good luck.
  • Options
    atvmudratatvmudrat Member Posts: 7
    One Feb. 17 of 2003 my husband presented me with the most expensive birthday gift I've ever received. A new Lincoln Aviator. It is a beautiful car but once you get past the look of it - you have nothing but trouble. These are things a non-mechanical female can tell you about our experience:

93,000 miles - on the 3rd set of tires (all purchased from the dealer)

On the 2nd set of brakes - almost time for a 3rd set

When braking, the steering wheel vibrates and I wonder at times if it's going to stop me in time

The car tries to stall when idling, tries to keep going when I try to stop because the RPM's go to over 2,500 when braking these days. The check engine light started out flashing. Now it stays on as a solid light. Fortunately, the info I read in this forum has the dealer paying for our 2nd set of coil packs :) THANK YOU!!

My door ajar warning comes on and stays on - even after I check and double check all the doors. This happens about 25% of the time.

The motor to the A/C unit went out and had to be replaced by the dealer. This happened when the car was 5,000 miles out of warranty coverage.

The rear air constantly clicks, clicks, clicks ALL the time. It doesn't matter if it's off or on. You drive down the road and all you hear is click, click, click.

The CD player will not eject the #6 CD. Fortunately, it's one I like :)

So, here I am driving down the road in my $50,000.00 car with the check engine light on, door ajar flashing on the dash, click, click, click coming from the rear, brakes failing, listening to CD #6....maybe I need a nice tall cliff? LOL

There is some good news though: After $2,000 more in payments, it will be all mine. The bank will be paid off. Me? I'm now stuck with the prettiest, most expensive gift I've ever received and wish I was driving a Honda Accord (the former most expensive vehicle I ever owned). I had that car for 180,000 miles. I maintained it properly (as I have the Aviator) yet the Accord only cost me one timing belt and water pump at 95,000 miles in repairs. These parts weren't messed up, I replaced them based on Honda's guidelines.

I hope some of you can get some good out of my funky post and if anyone knows a solution to the click, click, click coming from the seldom used rear A/C or the "door ajar" warning light, please let me know.

I'm being a good girl and trying to be nice as possible and to keep my sense of humor about this whole situation. My advice: Find a different luxury SUV to buy and never buy a new vehicle within it's first two years of production.

You know....my birthday is next month.......hmmm, can anyone say "trade-in"? :sick: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • Options
    jeyhoejeyhoe Member Posts: 490
    mudrat:

I enjoyed your post and can empathize a bit. I came within an inch of buying a new 2004 Aviator, but changed my mind at the last minute cause it was just too small for the family. Ended up with a Navigator and so far so good, though only 45000 miles. Ran out of warrantee last Saturday - and the cruise control stopped working on Monday. :mad: Shades of things to come? Thankfully I purchased a Ford maintenance plan the week before so I'm covered til 75000. (Oh, BTW, I recently had the dealer replace my radio unit - cause it wouldn't eject CD #6 ! :confuse: )

Good u've kept your sense of humor thru this. I've read here many horror stories about the Aviator, including one where the wrong drive train had been installed at the factory! I also had an Aviator as a loaner once and found that the heater design was absolute grade-school. Not only did the auto-HVAC not work properly, but the only way to get heat out of the thing was thru the floor vents - and one of them blew directly on my foot on the accelerator so I couldn't stand that very long and ... well, it IS a beautiful vehicle inside and out. But it is a terrible shame the thing ever saw the light of day, based on many reports I've read of it. It was just not ready for prime time and probably never would be. It is a glaring example of what is wrong with Lincoln (Ford) - NO foresight, NO support of existing designs, HURRIED release of inferior vehicles (Blackwood, Aviator, Mark LT, Zephyr, ...) when a need arises, and apparently a continuing slide into the depths of poor reliability and a growing list of people who will "never buy another Lincoln (Ford etc)". I am NOT one of those people. Yet. I own 2 Lincolns right now and both have thus far been quite good vehicles. THough not in the class of a 180,000 accord with miniscule maintenance issues.

As for your specifics, there I need to take you to task a bit - 93000 miles on third set of tires is about right for a vehicle like this. I just put my 2nd set on my Nav at 44,000 which puts me in my 3rd set at 88,000. I dont think this is a valid complaint. Ditto the brakes. In fact, only having to replace the brakes once by 93000 miles is quite good. I'm betting you replaced the brakes and tires on your Honda a couple of times as well? :) Also, the vibrating of the steering wheel when braking is almost surely the sign that it IS time to replace the front brakes - or at least the rotors - they're probably warped a bit and causing the vibrating. A big truck-based SUV like this is going to go thru brakes and tires faster that a light weight sedan like an accord. Those are just the facts, Ma'am! That said though, it is apparent to me that Ford is selling vehicles with the worst brakes of anyone. This can be seen in the almost always LAST place showing for braking wheneve a Ford product is compared against competitors - and the fact that you are far from the first I've heard complain about how frequently Ford brakes wear out. You would think a company that has lost so much money to lawsuits would at least try to make their vehicles able to stop well.

As for the clicking - got me on that one, though my bet would be it's a simple fix - like a sticking 'blend door'. I think I've read of others complaining about similar thing in these parts before though - either here or in the Navigator forum. The door ajar is most likely a sticky switch in one of the doors. Again, cheap as a spray can of WD-40 or something to fix, though first you gotta find the sticky one.

Feb 17th is coming up soon :) Got your eye on anything? Have you heard of the new Lincoln MKX? HAHAHAHAHAHA

If u dont need an SUV, it's probably time to strike an accord with your husband as to what you'd like this time around:>) Best wishes to you.
  • Options
    don2juandon2juan Member Posts: 1
    hey did you ever install that navigation system into your aviator? I was about to buy one over the web till i stubled upon this site. I have the regular six cd changer but would like to put the factory gps.SO its not as easy as swaping it out. Let me Know if you hear anything. preciate it.
  • Options
    Thanks for your friendly response :) Well....the dealer ended up not replacing the coil packs. They said the computer was showing something else. It's strange though because the computer told our local mechanic is was the coil packs a few days before.

For some reason, my brakes are working better now :) My husband gave the service manager a list of all the problems we had with this vehicle and now the brakes aren't "bumpy" when we apply them. Maybe they did an adjustment they didn't charge us for? In the past when we had brakes put on the Aviator, they vibrated right away. This has been a constant thing since we left the lot with the car. It feels like I have dinky little brakes that would be better suited stopping an itty bitty car instead of an SUV. I just hope they keep on stopping me :D

The "door ajar" warning light isn't coming on now either. Maybe they cleaned the sensor thingy.

I stated the wrong total of brake jobs my car had in the original post. My husband said we are about to need our 4th. Boo Hoo.

You are right about the Honda I owned needing brakes. I can't remember how many times I replaced them but it seems like it was 3 or 4. Plus, it had to have tires but not too often. I don't really understand why some cars/trucks need brakes more often than others....my husband drives a 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 4-Wheel Drive HD with an extra cab. He has 92,000 miles and is still on his original factory brakes. I wish those kind of brakes had been on my Aviator :)

I guess my main thought is...shouldn't a car that costs $50,000 have less mechanical problems than one that costs $20,000 :confuse: I guess the familiar phrase "You get what you pay for" doesn't apply to the Aviator.

Best wishes to you with the Navigator. :shades: That's a *NICE* car!
  • Options
    Hi again.

Yeah, thanks the Nav is a real nice ride.

Glad to hear things are working out a little bit better now. I would be surprised if the dealer actually did anything and didn't tell you or charge you or both. But who knows? One thing I've pretty much learned is the dealer and their service dept make a HUGE difference in the happiness of the owner - whether the car is a gem or a lem(on). Eg: My Nav on delivery had a driver door inside latch that was sticking out quite a bit and it was so close to actually opeining the door with just a slight touch that it was dangerous. I took it to the dealer where I had just bought the thing for over 50 $Large. The GD tech gets a micrometer and measures how far the handle sticks out and says "within spec. Next?" I flipped but they wouldn't do anything else. Took it to another dealer 30 miles away. They spent 10 minutes taking the door panel off and found that a screw under the handle had not been properly installed at the factory. They fixed it, handle lies perfect now and I personally told off the service dept mgr and owner of the dealer where I bought the thing and havent been back since.

Anyway, 4 brake jobs is way too many at 92000 miles on just about any vehicle. Unfortunately, I'm not that surprised. My Nav needed front brakes and rotors once already (though most of the cost was warrantee) and I just had the rear brakes done last month, at 45,000. These ARE BIG heavy vehicles, but brakes do come in BIG sizes so you'd think Ford would put the appropriate ones in, but NOOOOOO. IMHO, they do this on most of their vehicles and like I said, it shows in performance numbers and in owners maintenance logs. And it's not just the SUVs as a good friend had a Taurus wagon whose brakes would need replacing oftener than 20,000miles. Pathetic. The new Lincoln MKX and Ford Edge are good examples - vehicles that mean the world to the comapny and magazine tests show they need 10 to 30 feet further to stop than equivalent competitors. Is THIS one of Ford's better ideas?

As to your last question, I can pretty much say the answer is NO. All else equal, the $50,000 vehicle is going to have bells and whistles and electronics etc etc that will fail more often than a smaller, cheaper car. Engine, tranny and brakes have to work that much harder too. So it's not surprising at all that an Aviator would cost a lot more to maintain than an Accord. I have little doubt that a Honda Pilot would cost more in maint than the Acoord as well. THough maybe less than the Aviator.

So are u up for new wheels? THere's so much to like out there right now.

Best to you.
  • Options
    somersnysomersny Member Posts: 1
    Greetings - new to the board. Have a 2004 Aviator I bought off lease a few months ago. Just back from the dealer today to find out why the vehicle is behaving badly. When driving, let's say 60mph, and you lift off the throttle, the ECU holds the engine rpm up around 2,000 so the truck tends never to slow down. If you put the selector in neutral you can watch the rpm's hold around 2,000 till the vehicle runs out of momentum and slows. Only as the vehicle slows (in neutral) does the rpm's come down back to idle. Calls to Dearborn engineering resulted in "it's designed that way"...

Anybody else having this problem/situation? Really pissing me off - I put the truck in neutral or turn off the ignition when going down a hill or preparing to stop just to stop that engine from pulling it...
  • Options
    themishellethemishelle Member Posts: 1
    It would be silly of us to sell our Aviator, I do love it, but my gosh has the value of it dropped. I have the 2005 & with the high gas prices I guess it's worth more to me to keep it than to trade it in or sell. What a bummer.
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat with my Navigator. I have resigned myself to the fact that it's a real nice ride. Selling at a big loss and buying something that gets better mpg is just too expensive and would take a decade to pay off. I'm just kicking back and enjoying it and swearing at the politicians who've done this to us each time I visit a gas station.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    i spent lots of time trying to figure out how i could afford an aviator. i have an '02 explorer it runs great and i let my kids drive it now. my problem is i want my damn lincoln. i bought a fusion 4 months ago, but the aviator prices are making me think about swapping out the fusion.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    The Aviator is a beautiful vehicle. But it was not without problems, to put it mildly. The Navigator is actually a more reliable vehicle. And bigger. And rides probably better and handles darn near as well. Just be careful out there. Course at today's prices and with an extended warrantee, an Aviator might be a steal. Isn't there an old adage that says "When everyone else is selling, it might be a good time to buy." Or something like that.

Gas predicted to be $1.00/gallon lower by Labor day makes it even more attractive.
  • Options
    waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214
    Ford is offering great incentives on new SUVs right now. The trade in on your Aviator may suck, but, if you can negotiate an excellent price on a new vehicle, you could still come out alright. We had a '99 Explorer, which we were very satisfied with (108.5K trouble-free miles); bought a new '08 Explorer ($6000 below invoice), and are amazed at how much better the new Explorer drives. As soon as my wife drove it she said, " We can sell my Audi; this is what I want to drive." A fully loaded Expedition would probably be about the same as a Lincoln but at a better price.
  • Options
    vinnyveevinnyvee Member Posts: 4
    Hi I have a 2003 lincoln aviator and i love everything about it. I do have a problem tho when the truck is cold it idles smooth and nice. When the engine temp comes up approx after 10 min it gets rough. It looks to be idleing a little low . Any one who can help me it would be great.
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Have the compression checked - could be in need of a head replacement. It's a known problem but won't be covered under warranty.
  • Options
    Mine did the same thing and after a few weeks of this, the engine light started flashing then turned solid. It would stay this way until I did 3 or 4 cold starts. The mechanics will tell you its a $2,200 repair.

Our rough idle happens at all temperatures. We found a way around this... when we are stopped at a traffic light, stop sign or anywhere the vehicle needs to idle, we put the car in neutral or park and keep the motor turning at least 750 rps. It works! This has been going on for over a year now and all the mechanics we took the car to told us if we didn't replace that expensive part, the vehicle would not run.

They get a specific error code on their diagnostics check but for some reason you can "bypass" the misfire by revving the motor up a little.

The downside is you can't let your car warm up on cold mornings. I'm going to try to find a mechanic that will set the idle speed a little higher.

Good luck to you!
  • Options
    vinnyveevinnyvee Member Posts: 4
    Ok thank you i was thinking of having the idle set a little higher too .I probably will run a compression check too . I will let you know what happens.
  • Options
    stvdman1stvdman1 Member Posts: 1
    I am getting ready to purchase an 03 Aviator with 9300 miles on it. So I started reading about all the "problems" these vehicles have. I actually have read about the problems of a dozen or more SUV's, it seems they all hve their "issues" but I digress...

I also own a 2003 Mustang Cobra. The car has a built in "defect". The heads have a cooling problem. BUT there are a couple aftermarket "fixes". After buying one for my Cobra I noticed in the write ups that the problem may be with other 4.6 DOHC V-8's made by FORD. As here is the description.

"From the factory, the 2003-2004 “Terminator” Mustang SVT Cobra was an absolute work of art by Ford with the exception of one issue. The 4.6L DOHC heads used in the Terminators (and other vehicles as well) have a cooling defect that was later recognized and corrected by Ford several years after its production with a revised head. The coolant does not have an escape route out of the rear of the head which aids the development of steam pockets forming in the rear cylinders of the head. This specifically takes place in the #7 and #8 cylinders. Under normal operating temps on an unmolested cobra, the heads will suffice however when modifications are added it becomes more and more likely that these “hot spots” will develop due to inadequate cooling and as a result, the motor will develop a “TICKING” noise. The revised head from Ford is extremely expensive and was not released until most warranties were already expired.

With our custom head cooling mod, the coolant passage out of the rear of the driver’s side head will be complete thus allowing adequate cooling of the rear cylinders. This simple insurance mod will greatly reducing the chance of harming the head due to a heating issue.

This should have been done from the factory to begin with, but it wasn’t and so we must improvise. Why risk harming your car? If you have any modifications on your car and haven’t considered necessary cooling modifications, this is the perfect mod. for you! It will pay for itself many times over."

Maybe would work with the AVIATOR V-8. To find the products just run a search for "Mustang Cobra head cooling mod". I know that will be the first thing I do with the Aviator I buy. GOOD LUCK!
  • Options
    It should work since it's the same cylinder head and same symptom.
  • Options
    suvhunter2suvhunter2 Member Posts: 1
    I was just getting ready to purchase a 2004 Avaitor Ultimate with 55,000 miles when I found this forum. Must admit, after reading through the comments, I decided I wasn't going to buy it, However, after a bit of thought, I'm not quite sure what to do. I know all cars come with some baggage especially when you purchase one with some miles on it. I had already planned on purchasing an extended warranty. This is the only luxury SUV I can find around $15,000 that has a third row seat and I really like the look, feel and drive. Should I up my price and go with the Navigator or even go with a 2005 Aviator? Any suggestions out there? :confuse:
  • Options
    Navigators have their own expensive problems with the running boards and air suspension. If you really like the Aviator and know about the potential problems - go for it.
  • Options
    hollinghhollingh Member Posts: 1
    the audio, cruise control, and fan etc buttons on the steering wheel stop working
  • Options
    Clock spring.
  • Options
    islandeyes123islandeyes123 Member Posts: 1
    :cry: I have an 03 Aviator. It has 48,000 mi. I have had no problems with it until the last few days. It's hard to explain. The car feels sluggish. Like it has the emergency brake on while driving. The transmission seems to shift fine. It seems as though it's in a 4 wheel drive state all the time except I know it is all-wheel drive! Another way I can describe the feeling of driving it is this. It's like driving on ridged pavement before they put on the topcoat. It's loud too. I called the dealership and explained my problem. They said it could be the "bearings"? Can anyone chime in? Overall, I have loved my aviator and plan on keeping it.Unfortunately, I didn't buy an extended warranty. My only complaint is that the front seats are uncomfortable on long drives. I love the way it handles only not right now!
  • Options
    If it's making noise I'd check the wheel bearings.
  • Options
    goducks3goducks3 Member Posts: 1
    I want to plug my sirous radio directly using the 3.5MM jack but it doesnt have an aux input. I have the 6 disc cd changer (non navigation). whats the best way to DIY?
  • Options
    PIE
  • Options
    mmw67mmw67 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '03 Aviator with 65,000 miles on it. The car has been idling rough for 3+ years now. I first reported this during the factory warranty period (symptom documented by dealer, but not fixed). Problem was, the dealer was unable to pull codes. So years later, with same symptoms, the 'check engine' light comes on, and reports bad cylinder heads... Confirmed by another dealer after compression/leak-down tests. Worst part is, the car is not driveable as it has began to go into shut-down/limp mode.

To make a long story short, both heads need replacing at a cost of $6,000 to $7,000 for parts/labor. I called Ford customer support and explained my story... they say "sorry pal, you are hosed... warranty expired..." and refused to provide any assistance or suggestions. Obviously, they aren't interested in spending more of the Government's bailout money on keeping loyal Ford customers (I also purchased 4 new Ford vehicles for my company).

Besides doing the fix or replacing the motor (cost is about the same), does anyone have any suggestions?
  • Options
    There is a reason they stopped making them. I had my head replaced under warranty then traded it for an Edge right after the warranty expired.

Look at it from Ford's standpoint - if the original dealer didn't diagnose it correctly the first time then there is no way for Ford to know if there was a problem initially. All it took was a compression test which I assume they did the first time. If they fixed every problem after the warranty period they might as well just give out a lifetime warranty (and add several thousand to the cost of every vehicle).

And in case you haven't been paying attention, Ford didn't take any bailout money.
  • Options
    ladyveeladyvee Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Lincoln Aviator. My Navigational unit is just being repaired by the dealer I bought it from used February of this year. They originally told me it was a short in the screen and they were going to send it to the manufacturer to be repaired. After supposedly trying 4 different units they said it must be an electrical problem. After a week of trying to repair it they finally said it was a problem with Aviators that Lincoln never could fix. They said the DVD unit shorts out the Navigational unit. Since they signed a "We Owe" they are obligated to repair or replace it. They offered to put a brand new non-factory unit in to replace the entire unit to include the DVD. My questions is...is it true that its a standard problem in Aviators? Or is the dealership trying to cover up their [non-permissible content removed]? :cry:
  • Options
    ntecntec Member Posts: 17
    I would also check out the wheel bearings I have replaced the 2 front ones and I need to replace the rears there not cheap .If you go aftermarket look into SKF brand there a really good bearing company.
  • Options
    lincolnsrbadlincolnsrbad Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Avaitor and when I turn the vehicle off the brake lights stay on and won't shut off unless I pull the brake light fuse. Has anyone one else had this problem? I hate to take it to the dealership if it is just a relay gone bad.
  • Options
    I don't think brake lights use a relay. There is usually a switch behind the brake pedal that activates the brake lights and disengages the shift lock mechanism. Should be easy to find and replace.
  • Options
    gkhaleelgkhaleel Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone. I need some assistance in figuring out why my battery light stays on after i changed to alternator. I checked to battery and it is good and the alternator is charging, Yet the battery light stays on and well as the "check charging system" message is displayed. my truck cuts off periodically while driving and even when idling or parked and the heat doesn't send hot air through the truck unless the truck is in motion.

I'm very frustrated at this point, any good advise....please help :sick:
  • Options
    lincolnsrbadlincolnsrbad Member Posts: 2
    This may sound crazy, but my avaitor was having a similar issue and all it ended up being was the radiator fluid level was low. Be sure to check that. Don't know how the battery warning light was connected but with Lincolns who knows how anything is connected!! Good luck.
  • Options
    04avi04avi Member Posts: 9
    I did my research and I knew when I bought my 04 awd aviator a couple months ago that gas milage was going to be somewhere around 14mpg but my wife drives it back and forth to take the kids to school the store etc... never really on the highway and its getting 9.1 mpg the past two tanks. has anyone added chips, exhaust, coldair intakes, or an other modifications with any success in increasing the mpg's on the aviator. Also the cold air intake I have been looking around I dont really see one available for the aviator I know I can mod a different one to work but is anyone using the coldair right now if so did you notice an improvement?
  • Options
    jasonn6jasonn6 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone installed a head cooling mod to their Aviator???

I am probably going to do this even tho mine already has 80K on it... I just bought my 03 a few days ago.....well...better late than never hopefully this cooling mod can delay the almost inevitable Head replacement.
    :cry:

Are there any positive and happy stories on the Aviator??
    Especially those who have successfully fought the dealer and Ford to owning up to the Head repair? or at least reduce the repair cost...
  • Options
    bosanci28bosanci28 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2004 lincoln aviator v8 and for some reason when i stand in the car (not driving) and turn my wheels left or right,,from the front position to half way,,my wheels are Shecking ,,
    i have checked under the car for anything lose,,but everything is fine,,
    is this from maybe the pump or rocket pinion ?

any help i appreciate!
    thanks

home@bosanci.org
  • Options
    terry645terry645 Member Posts: 16
    My 04 Aviator has been an excellent car since I bought it new. About a year ago,
    the rear seat passenger side window stopped working.A few months later, I happened to hit that button and it worked. A few weeks later it stopped working.
    Now the driver side passenger window is doing the same thing...sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I don't believe it's a fuse...they wouldn't work at all.
    Wiring?? Something else??
    Anyone ever have this issue?
  • Options
    dman18dman18 Member Posts: 1
    Hey there, have you received any replys on cold air intakes or learned anything more in your search? I have an 03 and am researching the same idea to increase my boat towing capacity. "Airaid" make some UBI or you build it universal intakes that I have just started to look at, but short of a K&N air filter swap, I don't feel great about an intake yet. I dont want to create a new set of problems for a minor HP increase.
    D.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking to speak to recent a Lincoln buyer who switched from another luxury car brand. Please send your daytime phone number to ctalati@edmunds.com by Tuesday, April 20, 2010.
    Thanks,
    Chintan
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    clane1clane1 Member Posts: 1
    I have always changed my own brakes on my ford mustangs, taurus and explorer. I now own a 2004 Aviator. I tried changing the front pads last night and and could not remove the caliper assembly to even get to the pads. Both bolts were removed and the caliper assembly was loose and sloppy, but something was caught up and wouldnt allow me to remove the assembly. It was as though there was something metal purposely on there to keep it fomr coming off. I saw no clip or other bolt that would have needed to come off. Its as though the caliper cylinders wer hung up. I am at a lost as to how to remove the assembly.
  • Options
    I've changed the pads a couple of times on my '04, but have not experienced your
    issue...it's always been pretty straightforward. There is no reason that they shouldn't come right off...no special trick.
    I'm sure you've done this, but just double check that the piston is completely retracted into the cylinder. Other than that, I'm not sure what to tell you.
    Wish I could have been more help.
  • Options
    missneecie909missneecie909 Member Posts: 1
    i have changed the fuel filter,fuel pump, air filter and a sensor on the throttle body(wasted money on this one). upon starting my 2004 lincoln aviator when i press on the gas it stalls. we are trying to figure whats going on with this truck. 2WD 2004 lincoln aviator. once i press the gas it cuts off and releases a gush of air.it will stay started as long as you don't press the gas. any suggestions???
  • Options
    migavi1migavi1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Aviator and so far I have no complaints. I have had it since that year I guess it all comes down to how well people take care of their vehicle. I do however have one issue that recently came up, and that I cannot fix. The climate control on both front seat don't seem to work. I located the fuse and it's not blown. I located the other fuse under the hood and it isn't blown either. I checked the connections underneath the seats and I found nothing wrong. Please if someone can advice do so.
  • Options
    migavi1migavi1 Member Posts: 3
    looks like you worked on the air system, and fuel system, but not on the spark system. Check spark plugs then spark plug wires, and then coil pack.
  • Options
    mac995mac995 Member Posts: 1
    I have had this same issue with my 2004 Aviator. It stops working and then starts again after a few weeks to a month. It really baffles me, I have no idea what is going on with my drivers side rear window.
  • Options
    Fortunately, I have little reason to open or close either of the rear seat windows.
    When the time comes to dispose of the car, they probably still won't work.
    It just irks me that they don't!!
    I suppose my only option is to take out a second mortgage on the house and have the dealer fix it..........Nah!!!
  • Options
    avi03avi03 Member Posts: 1
    Maybe a bad power window regulator... I had mine replaced at 41K.
  • Options
    dls10dls10 Member Posts: 2
    We were cleaning the interior of our 04 Avaitor today, while cleaning the shifer the pin in the shifter head came off. It seems that there is a little pin that connect to the button to engage the release for the shifter.

So I have a meeting on Monday morning and while picking him up at the Airport I can explain that my shifer is broken, and I have it taped up and working like some type of backyard fixit man.

Anyway, my question is has anyone ever had this happen to them before, I'm wondering if it hard to fix, if I can take to console out and get to the linkage and do it myself or do I need to take it to a shop and let them do it.

By the way, I've had this car since 2006, great car never had a problem with it other than a vaccum line popping off and now this.

110,000 miles runs great and I love the car.

Can anyone provide some feedback here?

DLS