Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Aerio Wagon

revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
edited October 2014 in Suzuki

The 2002 Suzuki Aerio will be available in showrooms starting in March. Read the full story here: here. And let us know what you think. Thanks! ;-)

Revka
Host
Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards

Comments

• hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    Anyone know what the curb weight will be? 141hp looks nice. If it isn't much heavier than a Swift then it will really be swift...
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    What are those wheels, like 10" ?
    Otherwise, not too shabby. Has those nice modern pull out door handles. Not something you can say about a $25,000 S40! Not the main reason I'd buy a car, but it doesn't hurt.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    I think the Suzuki Aerio SX is one of the vehicles that will start a major revolution in car sales.

In many ways, the Aerio SX is an expression of the so-called "multi-activity vehicle" idea that was pioneered by Renault's ground-breaking Scenic way back in 1996: a vehicle that has very flexible interior arrangements and reasonably roomy, but doesn't have the stigma of a real minivan. Customers who want vehicles with good carrying capacity but want standard automobile parking ability and fuel efficiency will be drawn to these new vehicles. I expect the Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix "twins" to be extremely popular for the very same reason.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    The hideous interior design? Don't tell me it comes with an 80s style digital gauge package on every Aerio!! If so, that automatically marks this car off my list. I can't stand digital gauges, and that center stack design is funky to say the least. I also don't like the rear styling of the hatch model (the rear window looks small, the tailights are a strange mix of the Focus and Volvo V70, and the shape of the hatch is odd). I do like the power of the engine, and the sedan looks sporty in top line trim, similar to the Lancer OZ and Corolla S, but the nose looks too bland and Civicish. Overall, this car will barely make a dent in the market, just like the old Esteem. The SX model may sell better, but its Suzuki name will hold it back compared to the Protege 5, Focus ZX5, and Matrix/Vibe.
  • perry40perry40 Member Posts: 94
    These are EXACTLY the types of vehicles North Americans need and hopefully want ... it's time the Mini-van (which really aren't "mini") and the S.U.Me craze started to wain ...
    ...according to http://www.suzukiauto.com/sr02/aeriosx/index.html

Only thing they don't list there is the curb weight and final prices.

I found a Suzuki site in Japan with a PDF in english that listed the curb weight of the Aerio sedan as 2535lbs, though that was with a 1.5L engine. The 2L 16V DOHC engine probably adds a few pounds but for the extra horses, who cares??? Plus, the 5-door could be lighter than the sedan, as it is shorter.

I really like the handling of the Swift/Metro (really fun to drive) and have always wished for something more powerful and a bit bigger. I love the hatch but 2 doors can be inconvenient so 4 doors plus a hatch sounds really good. Needless to say, I have high hopes for the Aerio SX! The nearest dealer is not that close to me here (about 40km away) but I'll go out there if I must.

• tistevetisteve Member Posts: 142
    That picture above is a little misleading. have you been to the Suzuki website and seen it there? Not near as snazzy. I believe the picture above is the concept version that was shown earlier this year. The real production version is a bit more bland.

I'm disappointed that the real vehicle has not lived up to the hype about it. It was supposed to have 180 hp and AWD available. I don't see any "sport" version like that.
    The styling is a let down. The concept car, although a bit out there, had pretty cool styling. The production version looks like a Colt Vista wagon. (if you remember those)

I thought this might be a serious contender with the Matrix/Vibe and the Protege5. But I don't think this will even put a dent in those sales. Suzuki has an image problem here in the states and producing boring, basic little cars is part of the problem. This Aerio is not going to help in that department.

We have an XL-7 and love it. Suzuki is a great buy for the money, I just wish they would come out of the closet and make something that people would say "WOW" about.
    I don't know why everyone loves AWD. It hurts performance for the most part (look at the AWD versions of the Vibe/Matrix). With good tires you don't need it, IMO. I want an inexpensive runabout, not an expensive AWD one.

If they're going to offer a 180hp powerplant, I hope they make it a useful one, not one that gets it at 7600rpm like the Vibe/Matrix GT. That isn't useful for everyday driving, IMO.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I think the car is a great answer to a Toyota Echo. Also, it does come with a digital dash.
  • jimjpsjimjps Member Posts: 146
    I am a big fan of the European mini-minivans like Reanault Megane Scenic which we drove and really like. Small outside, really big insideand good power/handling. This looks like the closest thing yet. Dimensions are very similar to Matrix which I had great hopes for, but on closer inspection it really blows it, the ceiling is high and they give away all the advantage with a high floor. SUV syndrome. The interior volumes of Matrix/Vibe are disappointing, way less than a Focus Wagon. I haven't seen dimension yet but I would expect with FWD the Aerio will have a low floor and much room. Also it has bigger displacement than the Matrix/Vibe. Looks hopefull.
    I don't see anything new at www.suzuki.com but the Canadian site now has pricing up!

See http://209.67.7.67/en/auto/aerf-f.htm

If that doesn't work, go to http://www.suzuki.ca, go to automotive and then choose Aerio Fastback (there is a sedan too).

The Aerio Fastback SX has more features than a Matrix XR (including ABS, not even available on the Matrix XR) for $2000 less!

The base Aerio Fastback is almost $900 less than a base Matrix but it includes power windows, intermittent wipers, etc., missing on the base Matrix. The power windows sort of make up for the lack of A/C (base Matrix also lacks A/C but at least with power windows you can open all the windows from your seat to get some airflow).

With a bigger, more powerful engine (than all but the much more expensive XRS model), the choice for me is pretty obvious. I want something a bit smaller than the Matrix anyway to replace my Geo Metro. I suspect that the Aerio won't have quite the demand that the Matrix has either, so perhaps there won't be a multi-month wait for it.

• revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750

Here's a direct link to Preview: 2002 Suzuki Aerio, A Little Bit More, by Warren Clarke. What do you think? Thanks for your comments.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards

Gotta say ... I really love the styling of this car! Didn't Nissan pioneer this look with the Axcess(sp?) over a decade ago?
    The Aerio and Elantra GT are priced fairly close, which is to say they are a fair bit under similarly equipped Protege5, Matrix/Vibe and Focus ZX5 cars. It has the most powerful standard engine around. I agree that the sedan is an afterthought in this case, with the fastback SX (Sport Xrossover) being the real deal.

I'll be test-driving the Aerio soon and my only possible complaint might be the rear suspension. Rear Macpherson struts are usually there on small cars only to accomodate AWD, which it sounds like they are bringing out in the fall; to save costs they decided to use the same suspension with both drivetrains. But for FWD cars that don't have rear differentials, etc. back there, usually they have enough room for a nicer rear multilink suspension like in the P5, Elantra GT and ZX5. The Matrix/Vibe has a nice wishbone in AWD but only torsion-beam axle in FWD which must be there to increase the cargo room (means no strut mounts in the trunk taking up space). Anyway, the test-drive of the Aerio will tell, maybe 4-wheel mac struts won't be so bad after all...
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    It was the Axxess. It came out for one year only, 1990. I think they stopped selling because of their rollover tendency. One of my teachers in school had one, and she said it felt tippy all the time. They only old for one year though, weird.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    vocus-

Axxess was sold in the US in the '90 and '91 model years. However, it continued in Canada through the '95 model year. I think it just wasn't particularly popular in the US, and since the Quest was coming for '93, they chose to cancel it.

-Andrew L
    is now available in Edmunds' New Vehicle Guide. Look for a direct link in the Helpful Links on the left side of the page. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
  • lgoldinlgoldin Member Posts: 90
    I have posted it in another forum, but just want to copy here as well.
    I just came from a test drive of Aerio. It is already available in Canada. I drove the top SX model. Exterior is pretty. The interior is... Well, I don't want to bash the car, but interior is CHEAP. Electronic instruments are hard to read. May be some time behind its wheel would help. Plenty of space, rear seats are higher than front ones, which is nice. Engine has power and torque, but is not refined at all. It is livable, just not up to, let's say, Sentra's or Protege's 2.0L. I really liked suspensions. They are tight, but not harsh. Steering is nice too. 5 speed which I tested is very nice. Throws are short. Synchronizer is really good. Every shift was smooth. Wind and tire noise well dumped (or may be because engine was a bit loud?). Stereo has cassette and CD players with 6 speakers. But sound is so-so. The folding door mirrors are big. My biggest complain is a breakes. They are way too soft. The car is definitely a step above Esteem and if somebody is looking for a Japan made hatchback in a basic form this car definitely should be considered, b/c price is right and it drives pretty nicely. But if you want more refined car and don't mind to spend a little more then look elsewhere.
  • yugoboyyugoboy Member Posts: 161
    OK guys/gals, i am really interested in purchasing the fastback version of the aerio for my girl friend, wanted to know how suzuki are in the long run, I own an infiniti g20, never had a problem with it, wondering if the suzuki would be the same way or at least somewhat the same for reliability!!!???thanx your input is appreciated!!!
    I have a Geo Metro, the sister vehicle to the Suzuki Swift. Mine is a '95 and it is a rock-solid reliable vehicle. Never left me stranded. Only repairs have been maintenence items and wear items (tires, brakes, exhaust, spark plugs, air and oil filters, some emission control valves). It was the first year of the new body-type and yet it was put together quite well. I see tons of them and the older early '90s body type still running just fine.

The main problem with my car is that it has poor resale value, which is an overall Suzuki problem. They just don't hold their value like Hondas and Toyotas. I want a Fastback for myself but wonder if I can even get 1-2K CND$ as a trade-in on my '95. If I can't get that much then it seems silly to trade in a small and somewhat underpowered but otherwise perfectly running vehicle for a new one, even one as affordable as the Aerio. We'll see -- I may test drive an Aerio tomorrow if it doesn't snow.
  • jaskingjasking Member Posts: 10
    I've owned 14 vehicles and the three best were all Suzukis, followed by a Mitsu, a Nissan and a Toyota, with a Ford Grenada and a Renault falling far, far behind in a fight for last place. Anyway, I've never had to do anything but routine maintence on the Zukes, so I imagine the Aerio will be fine. I know recall stats aren't the last word on reliability, but over the years they do give a picture of a company's design, manufacturing and quality control capability. According to Transport Canada's recall database, Suzuki had only eight recalls in the 12 model years from 1992 through 2003, putting it dead even with Acura and a little better than Infiniti (9), Lexus (14) and Mercedes (17). Over the same period, Fords were recalled 287 times, Chevys 219.
    Some other nameplates and their 12-year recall records: Nissan 38, Toyota 19, Honda 22, Subaru 24, Mazda 47, BMW 99, VW 41, Volvo 36.
    On the way home from work yesterday afternoon, a brand new Aerio 5-dr pulled into traffic ahead of me ... someone must've been test driving, 'cause it pulled out of the local Suzuki dealers lot & had a demo plate on it ... anyhoo ... sharp looking rig! This one was silver colour ... real nice ... looks better in the flesh than in photos!
    I finally took a test drive today, actually a couple. I took a 5-speed SX hatchback out and a 4-speed auto GLX sedan out.

The engine is really noisy, and liquid-filled engine mounts or not, lots of vibrations get through to the seat, steering wheel and pedals. More noticable with the auto, probably as I didn't have to think about shifting an unfamiliar car. The engine doesn't have a nice roar, it has an annoying, grating buzz.

Shift points in the auto are not great for gas mileage, turning over 2100RPM at 50mph or so in 4th gear. For a minute I wasn't sure it had a fourth gear as it didn't want to shift up (maybe just needs a break-in).

The clutch on the manual is not bad and the shifter is precise but the downshift from 5th to 4th is a bit hard to find.

The power is nice in a 2600lb car but it feels louder and vibrates more than my 3-banger Metro which means the 6-speaker stereo doesn't sound good at all (though that one does sound better than the 4-speaker one in the GLX). Even with the engine off it isn't a good sounding stereo, especially compared to the one in my Saturn (8-speaker). The stereo is ugly too and has strange controls. If it has fade, I couldn't find it.

In reality, having a Geo Metro with A/C and a stereo would probably be just as good for a one-person commuter car. In fact, the 4-speaker boombox with an mp3 player in the back seat of my Metro sounds better than the 6-speaker Clarion so all I'm really missing with my current ride is the A/C...

Cruise control is on the centre console??? Whose idea was that?

Never could figure out the driver's seat height adjustment. Overall, the seating feels high like a minivan, not like a car. Without being able to adjust the height I was _just_ able to adjust tilt and seat position back and forth to where I was comfortable.

Digital instruments are weird -- I'm sure I could get used to them but I find that I can 'read' analog gauges in my peripheral vision while a numerical speed indication is not readible unless you are looking right at it, and its varying brightness (by more or less LEDs lit) is distracting.

Handling of the SX with 15" aluminum wheels and low-profile tires was a bit better than the GLX with 14" steel wheels and 65 profile tires.

On paper I really liked the car but I think I need something more refined at this point, which is too bad.

The car is more powerful but so much heavier than my Metro (700 pounds more) that it doesn't feel nearly as nimble. Sad, as I was hoping to like the car. Does look really nice in blue too.

Guess I'll go test drive a Vibe and maybe a P5. And I should wait for the Saturn ION which will have an counterbalance-shaft equipped ECOTECH engine like the smooth, quiet, powerful one in my LW200. Just goes to show that power isn't everything.

Oh well, not everyone shares my opinion as many of the ones on the lot were already sold and they haven't even advertised them yet.
  • artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    The SX was on my short list, along with the Vibe, Matrix, VUE & CR-V.....sorry to hear it disappointed you. We currently have a '93 4 door Sidekick.....although unrefined, noisy and under-powered, it's been dead-reliable...Suzuki's just don't seem to break or require any upkeep other than normal wear & tear items. Too bad the SX is so unrefined....Suzuki could have a winner here if they'd sweated the details a bit more. Still, I'll test drive it too to see for myself.
    Oh, & I'm with you on the digital instruments....biggest disappointment of the interior....what were they thinking?
    everything else will really have to suck for me to pick it. The Aerio sale was Suzuki's to lose as I loved it on paper but the lack of refinement was really disappointing. I think it would be worth a few dollars more for something quieter.

The Elantra GT and ZX5 are really putting me off by their looks; I don't even think I can bring myself to test drive them. I'm waiting for a Vibe test drive and should do the P5 too, though its looks don't really grab me either. If the Vibe and P5 are poor in the engine power department then I'll reconsider the Aerio again.

The liquid-filled engine mounts had me hoping for a refined ride but I guess they really had to hop up that engine to get it to go 141hp with all 135lb-ft of torque available down at 3000rpm -- it must be practically race tuned for an 87 octane motor. That plus the two-stage timing chain which is known to be very reliable, but noisy -- again, sounds like racecar tuning.
    I actually like the looks of the P5....just not sure if there's enough cargo capacity for us. I prefer the Focus wagon to the ZX5 but wouldn't touch either 'til they get their reliability/recall issues worked out. Still not sure abouy Hyundai quality-wise either. Have you checked out the Subaru TS wagon....I know you don't need AWD but at $21995 for a very-well equipped 5 speed, it's a pretty good deal.
    On paper, I like the TS but in person it really looks ugly to me (to this beholder -- many others may like the styling of the Subie). I just checked one out on the highway again today and the verdict is still, ugly. I know styling shouldn't count for so much but I'll have to look at it every day so if I hate it, I'll hate it. I like the look of the Aerio but many people don't, takes all kinds and all that.
  • QualityQuality Member Posts: 17
    Finally getting out and doing some test drives for my new unit. Took a Matrix base auto with the "B" package (power door locks, air conditioning, and alloy rims)for a spin today. I thought this was going to be my next car, but now I am not so sure. I thought the interior was kind of cheap, the metal that is supposed to metal is and looks like plastic. The ride was comfortable and felt assured, but the power that people have been noting on the Matrix site is " suspicious ". My Suzuki Esteem (1.8 litre and 122 horsepower with the auto had more bang for the buck) I, frankly expected more from the more powerful 130 horsepower engine. There is nothing wrong with the power I am just comparing it with another engine which I previously owned. Anyhow, they wanted $21,000.00 Canadian for this vehicle. I can't see it. It did not feel like a $21,000.00 vehicle, as equipped. I was not planning on taking a peak at the Aerio because quite frankly I do not like the styling. I think my Esteem looked better. But, I am going to take a look at the Aerio because it may represent good value, especially when compared to a $21,000.00 similar vehicle, re-sale value notwithstanding.
    Went for a spin today and the drive was O.K. The engine was a little growly as noted by others, but so was my 1.8 litre Esteeem. The same sort of sound, I kind of like it. Instead of 122 horsepower you have a 141 horsepower growl. Not a big deal. The interior is "different" Sort of feminine styling and digital readouts, which I did not mind particularly (the digital readouts). I thought the automatic shifter area looked kind of cheap though. The cargo space seems good but I did not like the drop off effect in the rear. The SX version has a flat cargo area by comparison. According to the guys at the dealership you can get this automatic version for about 19K, including freight. I think that represents better value that the Matrix I test drove, which they wanted approximately 21K for and which was less well equipped and has a smaller motor. I would buy this car over the Matrix and others, but I am left with the styling issue of the whole car. I just doesn't make me want to buy it.
  • TupTup Member Posts: 200
    In Canada the Matrix XR costs about $1600 more than the Base with the "B" package and gives you quite a bit more for that $1600. Power windows, power side mirrors, leather steering wheel, better center console, side skirts etc. Also, the power of the corolla/matrix engine is higher in the rpm band and better utilized by a 5 speed.
    Tup: Yes, I would agree the Matrix XR would probably represent better value. I believe the salesperson stated that would cost $21900.00 with the automatic. There was no XR on the lot so I did not get to see one. The base model was just too plain and did not seem to be worth $21,000.00
    I saw a Vibe on the same day and probably would have bought one if they had not loaded it up with $2,000.00 worth of stuff that I did not want. I think the basic Vibe is a very good looking vehicle. Anyhow,the bottom line is: The Matrix XR with an automatic cost $21,900 and the Aerio GLX cost just over $19,000 and I personally would be satisfied with the equipment for that price. Styling is another issue.
    Was the Matrix much quieter than the Aerio or similar? Did the smaller engine feel much less powered or similar? Could you order a Vibe without the extra $2K worth of stuff you don't want? What was that stuff, BTW?
    This is my second attempt to post. Purchased pearl green after much shopping mainly for Matrix and Vibe, which not available in my price range. Aerio cost $18600 on the road (freight included). Hpulley4: the extra stuff is called the "power package" includes remote keyless entry, power door locks, power windows and cruise control. These things are standard with the Aerio GLX You can probably order a base Vibe with auto, but nothing in this price range is currently available in my market. Two will be here soon and they will both be black.
    Will pick up my new unit tomorrow. I like the idea of the 141 HP motor and the green makes the car look completely different and buyable for me. Colour may not be a big issue with the Sedan which looks different. The Matrix is quieter than the Suzuki. But, I kind of like the growl.
    Let us know how you like it once you've had it for a little while.

BTW, your freight is lower than here ($995 here), I assume because the boat from Japan just drops them off in BC while they have a loooong truck drive out to Ontario.

My local Pontiac dealer finally has a Vibe to test drive. I'll let you know how I think they compare.
    I believe you're the first Suzuki Aerio owner in this discussion! We look forward to hearing all about your delivery experience.... ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • rwgreenbergrwgreenberg Member Posts: 154
    Good luck with your new toy. Give us all of the details after you pick up.
    see:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/hl/02aerio.htm

for a favourable preview + some big pix.
  • howhohowho Member Posts: 77
    has anyone done any comparisons between these two vehicles?

i am shopping, and was quoted $975 freight and PDI for the suzuki, and a whopping $1795 for freight and PDI for the hyundai. both cars seem to come to the same cost after you add in all the additional charges. does anyone know how much dealers in canada (edmonton) move on the prices of these vehicles? what would be a good purchase price for each one with an automatic?

i am torn between the two cars. the elantra gt is your typical, euro-looking vehicle and is quieter. but the aerio is quite different, and in yellow just screams attention. so, it may come down to price and resale as far as which way i go.
    The Aerio has really good intro rates right now, and the price is especially good on the auto GLX (I'd like the stick but for times when my wife might drive it, auto would be better). I am almost tempted by those low rates, even though I thought the car was too noisy for me. The Hyundai rates aren't nearly as good (both lease and finance are higher, at least on the GT). I didn't realize that it might have such high freight (don't know exactly what it is in Ontario). Even without freight, they look similar in cost to me for the SX but the GLX looks cheaper than a GT auto.

The looks of the Elantra are turning me off too, just personal preference but something about the styling doesn't hit it.

Finally, sounds like a silly reason, but the Elantra is a bit too long. Our driveway isn't that long and unless I take my wife's advice and get rid of our concrete side steps, replacing my Geo Metro with something a lot bigger is going to make parking our two cars a headache. There IS enough room but if one or both don't park 'perfectly' then it would be tight. The Aerio is 166.5" long while the Elantra is 177" long, which is quite a difference. The Vibe is 172" long, which is better but still quite a bit bigger. My Metro hatch is just 150" long, if you can believe that, so the Elantra is more than 2 feet longer, which might be a tight squeeze.
    when i compared the base aerio to the glx, it seemed like quite a price jump to go to the glx for what got added in the glx package. on the other hand, when you look at what you get for what you have to pay to upgrade to the sx, the sx actually looks like you're getting all the additional stuff at a very reasonable rate.

perhaps the marketing folk are counting on most people buying the mid-tier vehicle (the glx), and so that is where the largest profit is. i don't know what the invoice prices are for the various aerio models and also for the elantra, but it would help. i have a friend who let me use use his car cost canada account to get the invoice prices but they have changed the way you get prices.

i guess it seems to be a toss up between a "traditional" looking car and a "radical" looking car
    This car was not my first choice but I am glad I bought it. For me it is a courier vehicle and not much more. I need a reliable vehicle that is efficient and reasonable to operate. I have grown quite fond of my dark grey and tan interior. I am very satisfied with this vehicle which is very well equipped for a fair price. Just cracked a 1000km yesterday and the car feels like it is ready to rumble on the hills and the highway. The 141 HP motor is probably a big reason why I bought the car. I was not attracted by the styling of this car, but now I do not mind it at all. Starting to get some compliments (mainly females) about the car. No problems to report at this time and the car feels like it will able to do a days work without complaining too much. Will keep everybody posted if any problems develop. And, thanks for the congrats.
  • TupTup Member Posts: 200
    Howho:

According to www.carcostcanada.com the freight on a Hyundai Elantra GT is a whopping $375.00. So I would get the quote on paper and then give a little call to Hyundai Canada. That's insane! $1795!!!
    Thanks for the info, TUP. I was able to get costs for the elantra on carcostcanada today, and it seems like the dealer is trying to make yet another $1,400 on top of the $1,400 margin on the elantra gt at MSRP.

Too bad there wasn't any information on the Aerio, though. My experience at the Hyundai dealer regarding the "pricing" has sort of turned me off on going back there to have a closer look.
  • verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    Most people who buy Suzukis in North America are Canadians, eh?

I must say, it's Suzuki's best attempt yet to sell a small car in the North American market.

The Suzuki exhibit was empty this year at the Detroit auto show. I sprawled out on the carpet and took a nice nap there... I didn't see the Aerio there, but I picked up some literature on it.
  • mdyvrmdyvr Member Posts: 3
    Your right about Suzuki and Canada Mark. Tastes are similar but a bit different to Americans. Comparing the 2, small cars take a bigger piece of the pie in Canada. Oh sure, we have enough minivans to really scare just about anyone, and living in Vancouver there are too many soccar moms in Land Rovers MB, and BMW SUV's, but there are a lot more little cars too. Hell, we used to be able to buy the old Mini in the 70's. The small car market is just bigger up here for some reason. Maybe taxes and overall income levels.... or gas prices, who knows?

martyn
  • gedvondurgedvondur Member Posts: 2
    hiya - I've just bought an Aerio (Pearl green) in a Toronto dealership. I should have it by Saturday (Mar 30th). Will let everyone know how it is!!
    It's replacing my 1991 Chevy Turbo Sprint (a Suzuki 1 litre 3 banger with Turbo!) It has been extremely reliable for me in the last 11 years. IE: I had to finally replace the timing belt at 260 k, new alternator at 250k, new shocks in front 5 or 6 years ago, and not much else except tires and shocks.
    and congrats on your new Aerio! We look forward to hearing all the details.... Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Have you looked at the Corolla, or do you need a hatch. You do have that LW for when you need the extra room. The Corolla sure is refined - since it seems that is what you are looking for, and it will even sip as little fuel as your Metro. Also $2000 rebate on the 2001 prizm. The Golf is also a really nice hatchback - esp with the TDI.

I much prefer a hatchback to a sedan, but now that I have a minivan - I guess I can look at sedans too. Have you driven the Matrix yet? I don't really like the looks of it (trying too hard to be different) but it seems to be a nice car - wish they had a Corolla wagon/hatch still.
    I haven't driven a Matrix but I drove the Vibe which I found to be quieter than the Aerio, though not as cheap similarly equipped, or as powerful. Makes it difficult to accept the higher price of the Vibe but on the other hand, refinement is hard to price.

I agree that I could probably get by with just a sedan now, though I do like hatches for times when I need the cargo space and my wife has the wagon (the usual situation).

Unfortunately, I think the Prizm has been discontinued in Canada for some time so that option isn't there.

I doubt the Corolla will do quite as well as the Metro on gas, but it may come close. I don't love the look of the Matrix, or the new Corolla or the new Camry for that matter but maybe I could get past the looks. Even the Corolla is kind of expensive next to the Aerio, with the automatic CE with package B about the same price as the Aerio GLX but with the Aerio having a big edge on options (fastback or sedan choice, power windows, cruise control, variable intermittent wipers, etc.) so once again the choice would be down to features vs. refinement for the same money.

Finally, the Corolla is a bit long. Driveway space is a bit tight with our silly big side steps and the Vibe/Matrix is 6" shorter than the Corolla; the Aerio fastback is almost a foot shorter than the Corolla. 6" doesn't seem like much except when you pull in and realize you have to pull the other car up some to get your trunk off the sidewalk before the parking ticket appears on your windshield. Another reason why I like hatches: they're usually shorter.
This discussion has been closed.