Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey: Problems & Solutions:(1995-2004 Models)

Comments

• Options
    wholiganwholigan Member Posts: 148
    The major issues in the Honda Odyssey have been worked through. The transmission was updated to a 5 speed starting in the 2002 model year. That was the primary source of problems on the 99 - 01 Ody. Again, another small group of 02/03 owners have experienced issues with oil leaking as well (as did I), however, it is usually the result of an aluminum crush gasket not being replaced at Oil Change time (a good reason to use a Honda dealer to get the oil changed - they guarantee to do this).

Even better - now that the 04 Sienna is out (as well as the 04 Quest) pricing pressue and slumping sales are providing price relief to potential Ody buyers (some have purchased for invoice - I DID!).

Good Luck with whatever you choose!
    2003 Honda Odyssey EX-LRES - Midnight Blue Pearl
    2004 Honda Accord EX-L Graphite Pearl
    2007 Honda Civic EX - Atomic Blue
    2013 Honda Civic LX - Crimson Pearl
  • Options
    lfikelfike Member Posts: 38
    Welcome back Momstruck1.
    L:ook at it this way Mariann. Millions of people own Odysseys and you see just a few posts here concerning problems. I have never had a problem that was not fixed by a Honda dealer...though I cannot say the same for Chrysler. I am sure there are others that will say visa versa. Anyway...glad to see you back here.
    PS...wife says to tell ya that she will never give up here Odyssey! (never is a long time).
  • Options
    momstruck1momstruck1 Member Posts: 206
    idea and back to a mini van is a big jump. We will see I have 2 years to play around with all my ideas. I can jump in earlier but need to see the new quest and if honda re-designs.
  • Options
    lapvnlapvn Member Posts: 455
    Glad to see you are still around. I thought you had given up on the idea of a minivan and decided to stick with your TB (haha no chance on that I know). Anyway, long time to hear.
  • Options
    dchoppdchopp Member Posts: 256
    I checked the tourque setting and it was over 110ft/lbs. I set it back to what the mfg. states as 80ft/lbs. The dealer was the last to tourque them when I had the tires rotated about three months ago. They always tell you to retourque them after 30 days. Its an alloy wheel thing.
  • Options
    bjk2001bjk2001 Member Posts: 358
    dchopp:

Re-torque wheel after 30 days, it's not an alloy whel thing. It's to verify that wheel lugs don't lose its torque value. It should be checked no matter whether its steel or alloy wheel.

If your wheel lugs were torqued to 100 ft/;bs its way over torqued by your dealer. If a lug was torqued to 80 ft/lbs, torque will not go to 100 ft/lbs by driving your cars. You should tell them if you are sure its 100 ft/lbs. How did you know it was torqued to 110 ft/lbs? Did you try to untorque your wheel lugs with 80 ft/lbs setting?

Regards,

bjk
  • Options
    jenrossojenrosso Member Posts: 1
    We are having problems with the driver's side power window on our 2003 Odyssey. When the car was about 8 months old, I pushed the button to lower the window just a crack. It lowered all the way, and would not go back up. The dealer replaced the power window control device, but guess what? Less than a week later, the same thing happened. We are headed back to the dealer a second time now, for the same problem. We earlier had the passenger side window worked on, because it made a grinding noise when going up. Now that window works fine, but we are stuck with a driver's side window that is permanently open until we get it replaced (again). Has anyone experienced a similar problem? What was the solution?
  • Options
    dchopp - interesting that the dealer did that to your lugs... Due to family emergency, we had the Ody on the road much earlier than planned. Had to have the oil changed at a Jiffy Lube in Ottawa, IL (long story). After 3000 miles it started to leak oil so I brought it to my Servicing dealer. The dealer pointed out that the aluminum crush gasket had not been replaced and the oil plug was under torqued. If the dealer is turning the lugs to 30lbs OVER where they should be, that sould be addressed with the dealer...

Jenrosso - work with the servicing dealer... My guess is that the power motor may be causing an overload to the electronics - thus "blowing" out the sensors used to automatically send the window up/down. Be polite but firm with the dealer until the situation is resolved.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    pete109pete109 Member Posts: 1
    Anybody have a '99 Odyssey transmission problems?

Ours has had all recommended maintenance, including required servicing at 90K miles (including new timing belt and new transmission fluid). We also had purchased an extended Warranty (extends warranty out to 100K miles).

Now, at 114K miles, our check engine went on and the transmission will slip or clunk into gear going from a slow speed and accelerating
    gently (engine would rev, then the transmission would take hold, go CLUNK!, and van would be in gear). Our Honda dealer's service says that it's a complete transmission failure and we need to pay $5,050 for a new transmission. The dealer says the problem is out of their hands. Honda Customer Service says it's beyond warranty and they won't cover any repairs or replacement (even partial).

My last Honda product (a 1994 Acura Integra) went nearly 200,000 miles with the original transmission (until I traded it in for a new
    Civic this year).

IMHO, 114K highway miles on a 1999 Odyssey should
    not require a $5,000 repair bill to keep the car safe. (I.E. apparently the transmission can stop working at any time, potentially stranding anyone in my family who is driving the vehicle).

If anyone has any similar problems or advice with how to get resolution with this matter, I would greatly appreciate it!

-Pete
  • Options
    cdfwifecdfwife Member Posts: 37
    It might help to read prior posts, lots of these same issues. Our 99 failed at 76,000. Dealer said pay up 5500, I said I knew about tranny isb's and recalls. THEN he said call corporate. They picked up all but the labor..500, which I thought was reasonable. Got the tranny done by Honda, with a 3 yr warranty. They paid for the rental too, after asking twice. But you have to be persistant. Ours was done last September. It is a shame that the dealers are not more helpful in the beginning. Good luck to you.
  • Options
    dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    The difference between cdfwife and pete109 is 28,000 miles. Also pete109 vehicle is over 100k miles which seems to be the cutoff for coverage by any manufacturer for transmissions.

But I would still be persistent about this and try to get Honda to cover some of it. Esp. since the maintanence schedule was followed and we are talking aout $5500.

pete109: You may also want to call some independent garages that specialize in Hondas to see how much they would charge for replacing the transmission. If you do have to pay for this repair, it will be cheaper if you get it done there.
  • Options
    jpottawajpottawa Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Honda Odyssey EX with 48,000 km on it. WE drove to Alaska last summer and on numerous occasions was able to check the accuracy of the odometer against the highway marker. THe Odyssey is abot 2% inaccurate. For every 5 km of actual driving distance, the odometer reads 5.1 km. Given that my Ody has 48,000 km on it, the actual distance driven is 47040. Has anyone else had similar experience.
  • Options
  • Options
    lapvnlapvn Member Posts: 455
    Thought I might run this by just in case anyone was interested.

Both my brother and I purchased our Ody this past March. The weekend of July 4th they took a holiday week to Martha's Vineyard. Anyway, one morning they were shocked to find out that the rear windshield was shattered into pieces. No not vandalism.

They drove home several days later to NJ with the window taped up. Honda dealer did not even have to think about it. They came right out and said yes there was a defect and they will fix it for nothing.

Either Honda knows that there is a problem, or this is a normal thing with rear windshield.

I have a 93 2door Integra, with the hatch being slammed and it has never been broken. I hope I just didn't jinx it now.
  • Options
    odysbmw5odysbmw5 Member Posts: 9
    I have been shocked by the Odyssey's poor MPG. I bought the Odyssey in May and with 6000 miles already on it I am still getting only 20MPG on HIGHWAYS! Am I doing something wrong? My average fuel bill has gone up by 50% compared to my old 94Grand Caravan!
  • Options
    glasschimeglasschime Member Posts: 13
    I have an 03' Odyssey purchased in Sep 02'. My driver's window makes a creaking noise when it goes up or down. Haven't taken it in yet. I will probably wait until it stops working entirely before I bite the bullet and take it in. I like the car, but am disappointed that a brand new (expensive) vehicle has this kind of problem right out of the gate.

Hope your dealer gets this straighted out. I'd call Honda directly in the meantime and see if they can't put a little pressure on your dealer to fix this once and for all.

Good luck
  • Options
    glasschimeglasschime Member Posts: 13
    Consumer Reports lied!

I also, am only getting 20 miles per gallon on the highway in my 03' Odyssey.

I wish someone would come out with a hybrid minivan.
  • Options
    dave2003dave2003 Member Posts: 17
    would weigh half as much, have half the power and be half as safe as the Odyssey. You do get something for the lower MPG. For me, I'll take the heavier weight (and therefore the extra safety). BTW, we consistently get 20 to 23 MPG in mixed city/highway driving.

Oh, as far as Consumer Reports (or anyone else) not speaking the truth: YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY.
  • Options
    doncasdoncas Member Posts: 11
    We purchased our 2003 Odyssey in Fall 2002. Our fuel mileage was somewhat lower than I expected but has steadily increased to approximately 24 mpg on highway trips. My wife gets approximately 18 mpg in suburban driving conditions. We have 12,000 miles on the odometer.
  • Options
    doncasdoncas Member Posts: 11
    Be careful when you assume the vehicles odometer is inaccurate. The incorrect odometer readings could be the result of inaccurate highway markers.
  • Options
    fongstinafongstina Member Posts: 1
    Our Odyssey has 18K miles. Never noticed any problems with acceleration; seemed to have plenty of pep and smooth power from the transmission. (Of course, we too get in the low 20s MPG around town.)

However, we finally took this vehicle on the open road for vacation. To our surprise, we were being passed by just about all other minivans and SUVs! On the "Grapevine", Hwy 5 to Los Angeles, 58 MPH was all we could muster.

I'm trying to decide if it is worth the $150 inspection fee to find out if this car needs warranty work. The car is symptom free otherwise. I would've suspected poor gas mileage but I learned ours was just par for the course.

Any theories about what may be wrong?

- Ruled out bad gas, on the way back I
       gave the car mid-grade gas.

- Ruled out heavy load, 2 adults, 2 kids,
       modest baggage

- Tires were inflated properly (This would've
       also shown in Gas Mileage drop).
  • Options
    dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    doncas: Thank you for chiming in on that. The highway markers are nice guides but I wouldn't use them to test the accuracies of the odometer. I remember several years ago when they were doing road replacemen work on I-78 in PA, right at the Lebanon/Berks county line. The rumor fromt he workers is the contractor was only suppose to repair the road to the county line and stop (a sign was there to mark the line). Well the sign was moved during the prep work for the roadway. Contractor replaced the roadway past the sign. So they simply finished the job and moved the county sign down 100 feet or so after the job was finished. Not sure if it's a true story but i've passed that signed about 100 times since then and laugh everytime I see it.

fongstina: any car can pass another car if they push the accelerator harder. I can outrace a BMW M5 with my Explorer if I'm the only one racing. If you don't have any obvious signs and ithas been performing as normal, take it out on the highway and test it out. Merge on the highway and listen to how the engine responds as you accelerate. Then once ou are up to highway speed, try and pass some cars. If you have trouble accelerating, then get it checked out.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Alaska Highway's Mileposts are notoriously inaccurate too. (I drove it again last April; great road).

Just to clarify though, you are talking about mile/kilometer posts and not those test sections of highways that are specially marked to let you check the accuracy of the odometer and speedometer?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    I have for years done a pretty regular run between my house in NY and a friends in NJ. I religiously use the same route. My '97 GC Sport and my '00 Windstar indicated 100 miles (plus/minus about 3 or 4 tenths) every time. I always thought that was pretty cool - almost exactly 100 miles door to door. The Odyssey indicates almost 104 miles!! Same thing on our trips to Fredricksburg, VA - the Honda adds almost 15 miles to a 380 mile trip.

Scientific? No, but I am convinced....

BTW - common highway markers, when clocked over 5 miles - the Ody says about 5.2+, which is about 4% error - in line with the road trip data above.

To address another question ('02 EX w/21.5k miles), we get around 22mpg on the highway. I think our best ever tanks might have been close to 25mpg. Local driving about 19. Nothing to brag about, but good considering the size, weight & terrific power.

Steve
  • Options
    grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    If your odometer reads 4% over then your 25 MPG is really 24 MPG.
  • Options
    st_pust_pu Member Posts: 74
    Just got 2,000 miles on our new Odyssey EX. 19-20mpg during pure suburb driving (5 miles to work+5 miles back, no highway, from 0-45mph, lot of traffic lights). But 23-24 MPG during last trip to NC (about 1000 miles total) with 4 adults, kid, kayak on yakima rack, huge amount of stuff). Not so bad for new engine. Sure, our Maxima 99 is doing more then 30mpg on highway with same 87 octane, but still not so bad for heavy minivan with kayak on roof.
  • Options
    True, true..... Again, I am not complaining....

Steve
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    Hmmm. What if your tires were of the wrong radius, under-inflated or had significant tread wear.

I guess I'd verify that the proper tires were on the vehicle and that they were inflated properly.

Would this account for 4% error in 100miles driven? Not sure, but I doubt it's a problem on the sensing/measurement end of things.
  • Options
    I have a big compressor in my garage and keep them at 35/36 (Accutire digital gauge). Check both cars (and the lawn tractor, bicycles,,,) regularly.

Go back in these posts. Speedo inaccuracy has come up a number of times. I believe it is a true issue. Again, not of terribly great importance. If it wasn't for these relatively minor things, what would we complain about?

Steve
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    perhaps there is a certain amount of error which is passable. but 4% seems high. specially in the age of microelectronics. OK, what am I saying...it's probably easier to fudge using software than it is using gears and linkages. ;)

steve,
    do you know what the pressure is supposed to be? is it 35/36?

what recommendation is to be followed? i haven't looked on the door frame or my tires or checked the pressure since we bought the car.

any recommendations on a hand-held pressure gauge (you like accutire - where do you get one and how much? seems i'm never completely trusting of those mechanical "stick" types

one would think this would be all checked out on a dynamometer(sp ?) during design, then periodically validated. i think it's one of those things to get "right".

the nature of this problem would suggest either all the vehicles have this behavior (and not just these few posters), or only those cars with something out of spec.

to measure more miles traveled than true, it seems the vehicle's wheels have to have a smaller radius, and thus turn more times per unit distance travelled as compared to "design".

in my mind digital odometers are simply counting revolutions of something (wheel or tran/drive shaft), where some base number of revolutions is equivalent to 1mile travelled.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There are some good reviews in this discussion:

Tire gauges

Steve, Host
  • Options
    himarkhimark Member Posts: 2
    Just got a 2001 Odyssey with 13500K miles on it. Brakes work fine on the straights, but when going downhill, the whole van seems to vibrate with a thumping type of noise. I think this is the ABS system working, but not sure.
  • Options
    wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    I'm assuming van has 13,500 miles on it, not 13,500,000. ;-)
    I'm wondering if your front rotors may be slightly warped? When you're braking going down a hill the front disks are doing probably 95% of the work. With most of the van's weight distributed to the front, a slight warp may become more noticeable as you brake at this time. When van is back on level ground rear brakes take on more of the work, so you don't notice the variation in the brakes disks as much
       I find it's pretty difficult to get the Ody's ABS system to kick in during normal driving. I think I've only noticed it once on paved dry/clean roads (snow & ice is a different story), and that was when I had to stand on the brakes and steer to avoid becoming a part of chain reaction rear ender accident. ABS actuation is more pulsatile than a thump - you can feel it through pedal at a constant frequency of ~8-10 cycles per second. Brake warp vibration frequency is speed dependent, fast at high speeds, slowing down as van slows.
      Dealer can tell if your rotors are warped by taking off wheels and using a run-out gauge to check the flatness of the rotor disk. If they are warped they can be milled on a brake lathe to restore your braking smoothness. Prime culprits of brake warping - over tightening the lug nuts, and/or riding brakes and overheating them.
  • Options
    just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    Without seeing your vehicle problem in action, I will give my guess also. It could be a warped brake rotor but, only happening going down hill makes me think that you might have a bad front tire. Going down hill puts more of the vans weight up front and a belt that has slipped could create a flat spot in a round tire. Just a thought. Try rotating the tires. Good Luck.
  • Options
    Samuel,

Correct pressure is 36. I have an Accutire digital (it says R082000 on the back - not sure if that is the model #) that I bought 2 years ago at Sams Club. IIRC, Consumers liked the Accutire gauges.

Back in the 'dark ages', the speedo cable was geared into the tail shaft region of the transmission. I am sure today it is probably a an electronic pickup located somewhere in the final drive section, although I suppose they could even use something like an ABS detector to count revolutions.

Steve
  • Options
    hislanderhislander Member Posts: 67
    Brought home an Ody EX-L last week and right off, the sliding doors do not work with remote control. Planning to bring it back when they install the lisence plates but this morning, the doors, right side first and left side few seconds later, just opened by itself while the doors were not locked. It was weird and I understand people having problem with the sliding doors but I don't know if this is the problem people are talking about....I will bring it in but not a very good sign with a brand new van. Thanks if any one can give me a direction...such as the van has to be programmed for the remote control to work with the sliding doors and what caused the doors open by itself...
  • Options
    havasu4mehavasu4me Member Posts: 15
    If you haven`t already, read the info on the van board about sliding doors. I think several people have mentioned the same problem with the door opening by themselves.

I went camping in my new EX recently and while i was packing up to go home ,the passenger slider opened and not long thereafter closed again, by itself, so I thought. About a minute later, it did the same thing... opened and then closed.

I just figured it was a haunted van. When I read the slider door discussion, someone mentioned that it may have been the remote in their pocket was opening and closing the door when they moved around sitting down or whatever ,pushing the button slightly and activating the remote as it must be quite sensative.

I don`t know if this is a possibility with you, but I`m thinking that when I was bending over packing up stuff ,I may have hit the remote button in my pocket accidently and caused the door to actuate. I`m not sure, but I hope so ... that`s my story and I`m sticking to it. Besides, I haven`t noticed the doors opening by themselves since.

I`ve been very cognizant of the location of the remote since that episode, trying not to put anything else in that pocket besides the remote and being careful with it. So far ,so good, knocking some wood. Have to see with time if that was the problem.
  • Options
    hislanderhislander Member Posts: 67
    I think you were right. At the time, I have both key and remote control for the Accord and Ody in the same key ring and I was bending and unloading groceries from the trunk of the Accord and the whole key chains was in the pocket. Another thing, I did not realize that you have to push and hold the sliding door button for more than 2 seconds to activate. The small booklet did not say that, only in the big manual. That was why I did not think the remote control causing the doors to open. Now, the remote control works with both doors....Well back to zero problem for now (isn't it what you expect from Honda...). Anyway, thanks for your input.
  • Options
    kledford1kledford1 Member Posts: 6
    I bought a new 2003 Odyssey LX in March, 03. The week after I drove it home the power steering started making that grinding noise it makes when the fluid is low. Yes, the fluid was low so we filled it. In the 4 months I have had the van, we have added over 2 bottles of power steering fluid. With 7500 miles on the van, I took it to the dealer to find the leak. He informed me he could not find a leak and suggested I did not understand how to read the fluid level!! DUH!What about the 2 bottles of fluid I have added and the obvious noise it is making when fluid is low???
    Anyone else had this problem?? I wonder if it has anything to do with the van being parked on a slope in my driveway??? Still, it should not be leaking! HELP!!!!!!
  • Options
    Isn't there any evidence of the leak on your driveway or anywhere else you park?
  • Options
    aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    I just read your post from early June regarding the clunk in reverse and the click when changing directions and the initial brake application.

My '02, as I imagine, all '02's experience this and I have often wondered if I'm waiting for something bad to happen.

Did you inquire with Honda if this is normal? Is it a sign of anything wearing harshly?

thx
  • Options
    My Odyssey has clicked from when it was a few weeks old. Took it in for a 24000 service a couple of months back and realised that it wasn't clicking any more. It still isn't. I don't know what the dealership did to it but they must have done something. I'll ask next time I'm in which will be in a month or so.
  • Options
    jwhite86jwhite86 Member Posts: 6
    Has anybody out there purchased an aftermarket CD or CD/MP3 player for a post-'99 Odyssey LX yet? If so, would you provide the brand, model no., and opinions?

Thanks,
    JD
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Just reporting that not all 02s have it. Not bragging or anything - just don't have that.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    phuangphuang Member Posts: 7
    My 2001 Odyssey also has strong gas smells. It is getting real bad that I have to open the window while driving. It is most of the time now, not just right after fill up. By the way, I never top off the gas.

Initially the dealer denied that there is a problem, at the third complain they told me they still could not find the problem and I should take the van back and comeback when the smell is really strong. When I picked up my car, I smell a real strong raw gas smell and dragged the mechanics to the van to smell the gas. The dealer finally admitted that there is a problem

They told me that the fuel pump seal was leaking and they replaced it. The gas smell went away for several month, then it came back again.

Again after many complains, they told me they could not smell gas and everything checked OK. I finally insist that check one more time and they then admitted that it is leaking again. This time they need to replace the whole fuel sending unit but they have to order the parts. I am still waiting for them to call me.

This time the dealer told me that last time the service bulletin said to replaced the seal only and this time a new service bulletin requires the whole unit to be replaces. So Honda knows this problem for a long time and there are at least two service bulletins about this problem. I am really disappointed with Honda quality

I have many other problems with the van (break, transmission), the dealer and Honda would not fix it because I am out of warranty. I have purchased extended warranty (7 years and 100,000 miles) from Honda and the dealer when I bought the van. The dealer said the extended does not cover it. I am sure this is the last Honda I would ever own.
  • Options
    dave2003dave2003 Member Posts: 17
    Do you have the Honda Care extended warranty? Honda Care is an exclusion type warranty, meaning that unless the warranty language specifically says something is not covered, it's covered. If you have the Honda Care warranty, ask your dealer to show you where in the warranty language it says that your problems with the fuel system are not covered. I have a Honda Care warranty, and my service contract mentions nothing about fuel system components being excluded from warranty coverage. Good luck.
  • Options
    jminorjminor Member Posts: 13
    Have you checked Cruthchfield's website? They will tell you what units will easily fit into your Oddy along with all the specs. I plan to get one soon but won't make a decision until I'm ready to buy.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    This discussion has been moved and now resides in the Honda Odyssey Owners Club. If you have subscribed to this discussion, the move should not affect your subscriptions.

If you have any questions/concerns, please direct them to me in email.

KarenS
    Senior Host
    Owners Clubs
  • Options
    Sorry, Steve - I don't check this board that often (I usually hang out in Subaru Land).

Yes, I did have it on my typed up service list (maybe 9 months or so ago). The service advisor even 'finished' my sentence as I was describing it, so I knew he was familiar with it and the conditions to make it happen. He then pulled out a 'service writers advisory' sheet that basically said to tell the customer it is normal, but it didn't have much further description, IIRC. When I pressed him, he said that they had built extra 'slop' into the the carrier (holds & allows the single piston caliper to float) to help eliminate rusting and binding that can lead to uneven brake wear. I keep meaning to pull off the caliper and see if this makes any sense, but have yet to do it. In the mean time, I try and tune it out, taking at face value that it is normal.

Steve
  • Options
    jasonp3jasonp3 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced a knocking noise in the front suspension when going over small bumps? Big jolts don't seem to make it happen. It sounds like its coming from where it connects to the sub frame, like a bushing is worn out and causing metal to metal contact. The dealer has inspected it, agreed that it is making a noise, but doesn't have a fix for it. They re-tourqued the sub-frame connector bolts but it did not help.
This discussion has been closed.