Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Daewoo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    bybyemmabybyemma Member Posts: 2
    It makes like a rattling noise. like the engine is shaking or something, it only does it when my foot is hard on the accelerator. Maybe needs an oil change and some redex in the carb/pistons. God knows, im growing to accept the loss in power now tho.
  • Options
    jipper64jipper64 Member Posts: 1
    Every time I lay off the accelerator pedal, my Nubira will do a quick pull to the right regardless of how fast I'm going and then continues as normal. My local dealer service center couldn't find anything wrong. Any thoughts on this?
  • Options
    dalmariodalmario Member Posts: 1
    i recently visit a car show here in the philipines and i was very fascinated with the modern technology of car tuning. I would like to learn more about trade. I have a daewoo racer to start on. anyone willing to give me a hand. please help
  • Options
    portraitartistportraitartist Member Posts: 2
    Recently my car has started locking and unlocking the doors on its own. I lock and leave it and when I get back it's unlocked. Sometimes it will lock and unlock four or five times in rapid succession or will lock as I drive along. Two days ago I started the car and the LHS indicator came on and wouldn't cancel. I finally got it to cancel by restarting the engine. Anyone any ideas on fixing this irritation please?
  • Options
    leganza2000seleganza2000se Member Posts: 5
    My 1st post here. Been reading this thread for weeks now.

Cmatt2,
    also check your fuses if all is ok. I was fixing my stereo one time and shorted one wire and blew one fuse. And these affects my shifting and brake light.

Regards,
    2000 Leganza SE
    92,000 miles and going strong
  • Options
    leganza2000seleganza2000se Member Posts: 5
    So Im not crazy.

Im dead sure I locked my doors at night. But in the morning its unlocked. It doesnt happen all the time but was wondering why. Maybe same frequency on my remote with my neighbor? or what?

Would love to see some explanation on this one.

Also, would like to thanks everyone here for being very helpful. helped me understand my car a lot.
  • Options
    silvernubirasilvernubira Member Posts: 59
    Our 2000 Nubira has locked all doors by itself when we were scraping the windshield last winter. The engine was running and doors were closed.

So it is a good idea either keep one of the doors open or have a second key handy under similar circumstances!
  • Options
    diablo2diablo2 Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to change the transmission fluid and i'm having a hard time finding the plug. Please help!
  • Options
    myw85myw85 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 leganza cdx with moonroof. For the past few months my drivers side floor has been wet after raining. I noticed that when my car was parked on a slant towards the passengers side the floor does not get wet. however when it is parked slanted towards the drivers side the floor gots wet. The water is not dripping on top of the mat but rather seeping in from under the mat. I think that it is running along the metal under the mat and rug, however I can't see the source. Can you give me any suggestions? My father and I have spent many hours on this and are worried of the long term effects of this leak. Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    loswaldloswald Member Posts: 3
    Re: your muffler noise
    The same thing happened to me, the rear most muffler is stainless so it looks fine from the outside but I could hear the tinging coming from inside so I took it off (2 nuts and two rubber hangers) and shook it and sure enough there are a ton of loose parts inside. list price for a new muffler was $549 but I found one from *I think* raybestos for $150 and change. It's an easy fix.
  • Options
    loswaldloswald Member Posts: 3
    I have a leganza but was experiencing the same problem with the door locks. I got a replacement door lock relay and installed it myself (it's near the fuse panel, just 2 screws and a plug) and went another 2 years without a problem. When it started again 2 years later I just unplugged it and lock manually. I think the part was about $20
  • Options
    portraitartistportraitartist Member Posts: 2
    Thaks loswald, I'll give that a try
  • Options
    jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    The drain plug is on the bottom and side of the transmission towards the front driver's side tire. It is a BIG plug(about twice the sice of the oil drain plug).
    It is aluminum in color, and has a concave hole and magnet.
    Once you take the plug out, you have to clean the plug itself and remove any metal debris from the concave hole before putting it back.
  • Options
    francispfrancisp Member Posts: 1
    I'm installing an aftermarket cruise control on a 2002 Laganza. The units module needs a tach signal. Does anyone know where I can get a tach signal from this engine?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Francis
  • Options
    fangsfangs Member Posts: 8
    No not that it was the lower control arm bushings bad on both sides. But thanks any way. :)
  • Options
    fangsfangs Member Posts: 8
    The problem is at Idle the car acts like it has no power steering at all. I have replace the power steering pump and that did not fix the problem. Just wondering if any one out their has had this problem and what is the fix for it. On another note there is a recall on cam sensor and wiring for this year model Daewoo because of a possible fire problem just though I would share this info. Let me know if one of you has a fix for the steering problem. :confuse: :sick:
  • Options
    lorac3lorac3 Member Posts: 8
    My Nubria is leaking rusty water into the car on the driver's side floor. No leaking under the car itself though. Help...
  • Options
    I am new at this. What does the cam sensor do?
  • Options
    Check the control arm bushings.
  • Options
    lssg79lssg79 Member Posts: 1
    Not to bore you with to much back history but the car was running ok. The only issue it had was some slight (what appeared to be) dieseling when you would shift from drive to park. The big issue is that it will not start. I can here the starter turning but it sounds like it is not engaging anything. The engine is not even trying to turn over. The battery is good, I have tried to give it a jump, I have checked the fuses. The car was last driven on a hot day with the AC on and parked in the garage. Does anyone know what would stop it from not starting all of a sudden.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Adam
  • Options
    wooblooswoobloos Member Posts: 12
    I finally found out why my car was missing while going up hills and passing other cars....it needed spark plugs and spark plug wires. I was told the No. 4 cylinder was bad. The mechanic thought the ignition coil might be damaged, but after putting on new spark plugs and wires, it's fine. My car runs great. Thanks for all the replies.

:)
  • Options
    mikey16mikey16 Member Posts: 1
    Hi line3

My Daewoo has just experienced the same problem as you outlined. Have you got yours fixed ? And I'd be grateful if you'd let me know what the problem was... Thanks
  • Options
    ewebster1ewebster1 Member Posts: 37
    hi i am a owner of a 2001 daewoo nubria the car is really nice has bought it in 2003 with 128 miles new had never been driven off lot and thought wow what a deal so far we have had to replace the battery,have the brakes redone and the air conditioner has really been giving us a fit, it will go out at the drop of a hat the air will be working fine then with no warning it wil start blowing warm air out,the first time it happened the machanic said it was the panel,he finaly found one off a used car and replaced it after 5 trys and it worked for over a year now it went out agian during the hotest day of this summer has anyone had any problems like this with their daewoo.
    thanks,
    tina
  • Options
    my machanic just called and said the compressure had gone out of the air conditioner and it would cost alittle over $1,600 to fix it does anyone want to buy a daewoo nubria ?
  • Options
    lovemylanoslovemylanos Member Posts: 6
    God what a huge amount of money. Is he wanting to change every dam thing out in the a/c system or what??? Maybe he just doesn't want to mess with it and is trying to make it "worth his while". Let's hope he's better than that!
    It may actually be Daewoo's fault but someone could surely diagnose this problem. Lots of daewoo enthusiasts (mechanical and non mechanical) out there. ;)

I have a problem with mine too... after a while it decides not to emit any freon AND the fan starts blowing very weakly.
    I'm not a mechanic, so all I can figure is that something is telling the freon not to work (almost like it's the computer or something disengages and says the A/C button isn't really pushed in or whatever). I have no idea why the fan also decides not to blow very hard, however the fan will start working once the a/c button is turned off.

Mine's been doing this a long time and maybe it's a different problem from yours but here's what I do:
    I turn off the fan, then turn the a/c button OFF.
    Then I turn the fan back on and let just the fan run for a while. Eventually, I turn off the fan, hit the a/c button, turn the fan back on and sim sim sallah bim! the dam thing starts working....freon is on and fan's going full speed. Why, I have no idea.
  • Options
    just read your messages and believe me i thought the same thing when he told what it would cost and have contacted another person to check it out to see i do not exactly trust the ones that said it would cost a little over $1600 just to fix the compressor, turning the ac button off does not work we tried that as well i have also contacted the daewoo company to see what they would do if anything,i asked them to furnish the compressor don't expect to hear anything but can't do but one of two things. been having problems with the air on that car for over a year now even replaced the panel and that helped for one whole summer,as soon as i get that car paid off i will sell the thing to the first one that is dumb enough to buy it. have found a compressor on the internet for a little over $300 new with a clutch
    thanks for getting back with me will let you know if i hear from daewoo
  • Options
    just got a email back from daewoo corp and they told me to take a flying leap in not so many words but it came out the same that my car had gone over the miles so it was not longer under warranty i knew that i just felt like they should make their cars better they would not get all these complaints i am going to somehow get it fixed and finish paying for it and sell it and get an american made car maybe a chevrolet
    thanks
  • Options
    and labor. Is it a dealership? Most dealerships probably wouldn't even charge that much!

When I leave the a/c button off, it's usually for at least 15 minutes or so. But if that doesn't help you, there may be a different problem. Haven't had too many problems with this vehicle (has a lot less recalls than Ford Focus did) and been very happy with gas mileage (who'd have thought in 01 that gas prices would be skyhigh right now!)

Good luck and keep posting.
  • Options
    madonna65comadonna65co Member Posts: 1
    Help. My 2000 Daewoo Lanos was running fine. I took it in for an oil change and general servicing, including brakes. Two days after I picked it up it died while I was driving about 25 miles per hour.it I took it back for a complete diagnostic at the mechanics recommendation. He called and told me it needed a cam senor some wiring repairs etc. and it would could about $1,500. I told him I would rather spend my money and buy a newer car. I picked up the car and went to a dealership to buy a new car. The car wouldn't start. It is sitting at the dealership. I don't know mechanics. Is it worth $1,500. to tow the car and have it repaired? Should I just leave the car. I own a new car now.
  • Options
    i thought so myself that is why i have made an appointment with a highly recommended garage for them to check it out,i can use that to make a down payment on another car it was a daewoo dealership that gave me that quote and i told them to not touch the air condtioner we just had a compressor installed in another car of ours and it did not cost but alittle over $700 with labor,if i did not owe anything on this daewoo i would sell it,will let you know what this other garage says when i take it next week for them to check it out
  • Options
    i think i would get rid of that daewoo however i could, my daewoo nubria has been nothing but trouble the last 2 years one thing right after another i bought the car after a woman ran into my daughters car totaling it my daughter was in nursing school at the time and needed a way to get to and from school and it did great the first year we have had to replace the battery,redo the brake systems,the air conditioner has give us a fit for the last 2 years til it finally went out last week when the temp was 100 degrees outside,we had to replace the power window system,nothing has been cheap with this car.the car had not been taken off the car lot we bought it new had 128 miles on it thinking it was a good deal boy was i wrong.
  • Options
    esperoespero Member Posts: 7
    can you help i have a daewoo espero 1.8cdi 8Valve i belive the engine is a holden unit the prob i have is its misfiring. i changed the belt tensioner water pump ht leads the lot and now its misfiring all the work was done as per daewoo spec but its this misfire at idle.
  • Options
    The other vehicle's a/c repair cost $700 at the same dealership or a different one?
    I think I would have looked for another dealership that has a mechanic who knows daewoos. Sometimes dealerships who no longer sell daewoos still have mechanics who know how to diagnose and fix daewoos.
  • Options
    repair

This website may really be intended for mechanics (shadetree or certified) and they might not be too happy about addressing a lot of customer questions but maybe it won't hurt for one or two people to ask when all other options are exhausted.">link title
  • Options
    this mechanic is at another dealership that came highly recommended by our mechanics we have working on our cars we asked them to work on the daewoo but they said they did not feel comfortable with foreign cars so they told us about these people they said if they cannot fix it it could not be fixed. if and when i get rid of this car i will never buy anything except an american made if there is such a thing anymore
  • Options
    ehamilto55ehamilto55 Member Posts: 57
    1999 Daewoo Leganza. I tried to turn on car and it made a noise like the engine was running and while I was turning the key. (like a grinding noise that happens when car is on and you turn the ignition key) The car will not fire over. Their is power and the serpintine belt turns slightly but it will not fire up. My friend seems to think it could be a fuel pump. I tried cleaning carborator but still nothing. What could it be?
  • Options
    jdwisjdwis Member Posts: 3
    1998 Daewoo Leganza, just bought, conditions is quite ok, when bought 4 days ago, drove 25 miles, everything was working, it has hydraulic clutch, adjusted its settings as per requirement, somehow after that speedometer started playing up, while driving, speedometer stops working and suddenly starts, its an intermittent problem of speedometer, I dont want to open the dashboard to check it but I assume there has to be some loose connection of speedometer cable from somewhere at transaxle... not sure..
    If somebody knows where to check this?
    All help is very much appreciated.
  • Options
    dpeatrossdpeatross Member Posts: 1
    The car shut off one day at a red light. It started up, I drove it the rest of the day and then in the morning it wouldn't start. It was turning over, getting spark, etc., but no fuel. I checked for power at the fuse block etc. and thought it was the fuel pump. I ordered a new pump for $200 and that wasn't it. I worked at a Toyota dealership and one of there mechanics worked on the car. He pulled up the wiring diagram and started the ellimination process. He said there was power at the fuse block and ignition switch, but it also goes through the crank sensor and computer. I replaced the crank sensor first, then the computer.
  • Options
    cmatt2cmatt2 Member Posts: 17
    I had the same problem-for 3 yrs the daewoo dealer played around trying to fix it.Finally the problem was solved.There is a plug in to the speed sensor(located on the tranny)this plug in had lost tension in the pins.Yours may just be loose.In my case I bought a piece ot the wire containing the plug-in and had it spliced into the existing wire.
    The dealer replaced the speedo head,ecu etc over the years all while it was under warranty-milking DAEWOO,but never fixing my problem.The last straw was when they said I needed a new harness,rather then just putting on a new plug-in.I found the part on ebay.
    I hope this solves your problem.
  • Options
    cmatt2cmatt2 Member Posts: 17
    You were exactly right.I had to get the switch on ebay-$21.Sorry it took so long for me to thank you.
  • Options
    jdwisjdwis Member Posts: 3
    thanks cmatt2
    i will just try that first, hope it solves my problem too..
    i have been looking on net for quite some time for a solution but you have given me a right way to go...

thanks again buddy..
  • Options
    the mechanic that is replacing the compressor on my nubria said the expander may be hindering the freon from getting to the compressor and if that is the problem it would be over $500 to replace the expander because it is located in the dashboard and the whole dashboard would have to be taken out to replace the expander but he recommended replacing the compressor first to see that may be your problem the expander the expander will not be but around $100 but the cost of replacing it would be where the cost is
  • Options
    sebzysebzy Member Posts: 1
    Have a nightmare on my hands here.
    Daewoo lanos 2000

THe follwoing symptoms have been shown
    1. Engine is running rough and causing lots of vibration
    2. Acceleration is solw and requires you to floor it before any reasonable response.
    3. Cut outs while driving and when idle.
    4. Area around the gear box getting very very hot but this maybe transfered from engine.

I've checked all the sparks and replaced the ignition leads which where decayed.

Any ideas ?
  • Options
    dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    Any ideas? You had a passenger spill a soft drink on the engine computers wiring.
  • Options
    ehamilto55ehamilto55 Member Posts: 57
    My 1999 Daewoo Leganza has an A/C issue. It only blows out the vents on the highest level (4) The air would blow only on 4th level. What would cause this? Also the air is now not blowing cold but still blows on 4th level. Any suggestions please?
  • Options
    the mechanic said my problem was the compressor it was blowing out air but it was hot air and it had plenty of freon in it maybe that is your problem, my compressor is going to be alittle over $500 unless you find a compressor online, parts for a daewoo is hard to find
  • Options
    Well, I would definitely try this website and see if anyone has an idea. Pain in the rear having to re-state the problem and details but somebody might know.
    auto repair
  • Options
    i agree 100 % i am going to order the compressor today and hope and pray this will take care of the problem, with themp. being in the mid 90's with the heat index being over 100 degrees need to get it fixed will keep you informed.
    thanks
  • Options
    pantera1pantera1 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 leganza sx, i was driving it exiting the highway when the engine died, i thought i have ran out of gas there was a quarter of a tank left, i was lucky to make it to the gas station going down the exit ramp, i filled up the tank to three quaters and it sounded like if it was going to start again but it never did, does anybody have any ideas of what could be wrong the car has only 71k miles.