Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Tiburon

Comments

• lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    It reduces chassis flex, thus providing quicker steering response, slightly better front end grip, and a more solid feel (it can also potentially reduce rattles caused by the flexing of the body). On older and weaker cars, the strut bar can enhance handling and make the car noticeably more solid. On a new car like the Tiburon, I only expect it to possibly get rid of the popping I hear from the body flexing over very uneven entrances. Handling and steering should improve some, but the biggest improvement will be adding a more solid feel to the front end and hopefully reducing the chance of rattles over the long term. It's a cheap bolt on improvement.
  • jocko9jocko9 Member Posts: 65
    NM
    I installed my strut brace this weekend. The installation was pretty easy, although holes had to be cut into the plastic shroud surrounding both strut towers. The bar also scratched my firewall on the right corner when putting it on, but thankfully, it's not rubbing against it once in place. Initial impression is a much more solid feel to the front end. I was surprised it made such a big improvement. My car actually seems to handle sharp impacts and pothole dirt roads better, with less of the impact being transmitted through the structure and steering. I'm very pleased with the results so far. I highly recommend this upgrade.
  • skuuterskuuter Member Posts: 144
    lngtonge18,

Thanks for the update on your strut bar install and results. I decided to go for the sway bar upgrade by Progressive. I'll let you know what the results of that are. I expect it to neutralize most, if not all of the built in understeer. This should, in turn, minimize body roll. As you know, our cars don't have a lot of body roll, but less is better IMO.

My next upgrade will probably be the front and/or rear strut braces. Brake upgrades are also on my list.

Where do you find twisties to run in Florida?
    So far I have been relatively impressed with the quiet ride and good dry grip of my MXV4 tires. But this weekend, I was quickly reminded why I hated them so much on my mom's Accord. Simply put, these tires are horrible in the rain!! They hydroplane way too easily. I encountered a small rain shower that only covered about 1/2 mile of road but was raining at a pretty good pace. The water had ponded slightly but not more than maybe 1cm deep. As soon as my car hit the slick part of the road, my car jerked hard to the right and I had difficulty keeping the car in a straight line. I was only going 55 mph and tire pressure is where it should be. If the tires are this bad with only 2500 miles, they have to be downright deadly at 20k. My mom's Accord encountered the same hydroplaning problem (they got obnoxiously loud with age too). It's obvious Michelin has made no improvements in the design of this tire. And when you look at the price of a replacement one, you just gotta laugh.
    Jonathan,

I realize you live in a state where when it rains it really pours. However, living here in Oregon, where it's wet 75% of the year and rain puddles up in the troughs on our rotting highways, I had very good results with the stock Michelins.

I've since switched to Toyo Proxes FZ4s, but, seriously, I was never concerned with hydroplaning on the 16" MXV4 Energy Plus tires. I was in the habit of running 32 psi in front and 30 psi in the rears. What do you inflate your tires at? As with most things mass produced, I think there are good and not so good batches of tires from all the manufacturers. Goodyear always proved to be bad in the rain, from my experience. Hence I won't even consider them.
    In general, twisties are hard to find in Florida, but the landscape is actually rather hilly around Tallahassee. We have a lot of twisty "canopy" roads to have fun on, but traffic density on most of them makes it too dangerous to really stretch the Tib's legs. I would love to take my car to the mountains!

As for the tires, I have never been impressed with Michelin's wet traction. Tire pressure on my car is 33 in front and 32 in rear. It was just rather scary how quick the tires lost traction and hydroplaned, especially considering the rain wasn't that bad.

As for the brakes, what improvements do you plan on making? I'm thinking of upgrading to the twin piston front calipers from the XG350. Are you going to do that or go for the whole big brake aftermarket kit?
    At this point I'm inclined to go with the XG set myself.

I only experience brake fade when I'm dealing with a slower traffic on the twisties. I generally slow for turns by downshifting and only use the brakes on turns I'm not familiar with. I'm not a maniac, and avoid whipping around blind curves. So brakes are adequate for now.

For looks alone, I'd prefer the Brembo set, but who wouldn't? Since I only get to really push the car once or twice a month, I'm not ready to justify the expense yet.
  • jocko9jocko9 Member Posts: 65
    Is going to be upgraded in either HP or to a VVT type engine? Are their any changes planned for 2004, in any other ways? Since they just changed the body styling (and it looks great) they won't monkey with that for a few years I'm sure. Just wondering if they are going to upgrade the V-6 somewhat. Thanks in advance.
    From what I understand, the new consortium engine (built by Hyundai to be used by Mitsubishi, Ford and others) will employ advanced variable valve timing. This will inherently increase HP, but possibly lower torque.

It's inevitable that it will happen. Best guess is 2007.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Please share what you paid in our Hyundai Tiburon: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion. Thanks for your participation!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
    I took my car into the dealer for its first oil change at 3k. I also had them look at an intermittent sticky driver's door and a pull to the right. My dealer only sells Hyundai and it was nice to pull up at 7:45am and be the ONLY car there waiting to be serviced. No long lines or long waits to get service done (it's also a good sign that Hyundais aren't requiring a lot of warranty repairs). They had to take me to work in a parts truck though since they don't have a shuttle yet. Anyway, they claimed the sticky door was considered normal and caused by vacuum. I didn't like this answer since vacuum causes problems closing the door not opening it, but I let it slide since it was such a minor thing and works fine most of the time. They did acknowledge the pull and stated it was caused by "radial wear". They switched the front tires to the opposite side and put them on the back. According to them the pull is gone. From what I can tell, it is better, so I'm satisfied for now. I'll have to test it on the highway though and see if it is really fixed.

I got to talk with the repair man as he drove me to work. He said the only major problem they seem to have is with the 2.4 liter in the Sonata and Sante Fe. They tend to run into timing belt problems. He said the V6 was a good engine though.

Anyway, everything continues to go well with my Tibby. No real problems to report other than a soft but high pitched intermittent squeak coming from the hatch trim in the mornings.
    I'd have been a bit more convinced they actually investigated the pull, if they hadn't told you it was due to "radial wear"! That's a pretty ambiguous statement. Was the wear abnormal? Was it caused by something other than the suspension, i.e. low tire pressure? Did they check alignment?

Sounds like you'll have to keep an eye on these guys, IMO.
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    I'm with skuuter on the radial wear. Sounds shady to me. However on the door issue I think they are right except its positive pressure keeping the door from closing not vacuum (they have it backwards). Open a window all the way, any window. Now try closing the door. Is it easier? Thats because you have allowed the positive pressure to escape. I have the same effect on my Elantra GT. VW beetles have been doing this for years because they are so air tight.
    No, no. I have no issues with closing the door. My issue is opening the door with either the exterior or interior door handle. Sometimes it requires extra effort to unlatch the door whereas the passenger side door opens with little effort. I can tell a simple realigning of the door striker would fix the problem. That's why I don't believe the crap about the "vacuum", LOL. As for the "radial wear", I thought it was odd too. The tires show no signs of uneven wear. The pull does seem better so maybe one or two tires were abnormal and by moving it the pull was cancelled out. I have heard of fixing slight pulls by moving tires around. But I do think a slight alignment problem is the root of the problem. I will keep an eye on it.
  • cantleycantley Member Posts: 1
    I would like to know how the tiburon goes in the snow. I live in WV where we get a lot of snow so I am wondering if any has driven in the snow to let me know how they fare in the bad weather. I am looking at buying a 2001 tiburon.
    Last week I took my Tib on a long distance trip. I was in the car for 400 miles straight with no back pain. The seats are wonderful in this car! The hatch had plenty of room for a 4 day vacation with 3 adults. My friend was very impressed with the stereo and my brother congratulated me on buying my first "real" car (in other words he loved it, unlike my past cars). Even my friend's mom who has always been a Mercedes woman commented on how "fancy" and "sharp" my car looked and that she had never seen one before. I was just grinning ear to ear to hear how much everyone was admiring my car. I got a real shocker on one of my fillups. Even though I was travelling at 80-100mph with the AC on, I got 27 mpg!!! I was so impressed. The funny thing is the very next tank dropped to 22mpg with the only difference being a hillier terrain and different gas brand. The Tib is so amazingly smooth and composed at 100mph. You still can't hear the engine at that speed and wind noise isn't too bad. This car is just awesome! I love everything about it.

I now have 5k and no problems to report, other than an annoying intermittent buzz coming from the hatch area. I thought I had a jingle bell rattle coming from my dash but it turned out to be my sunglasses in the overhead holder (thank god!). This car is holding up great so far and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a sporty coupe at a reasonable price.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Don't you have the GT V6 with an automatic tranny? That's good gas mileage! The new Tibby is at the top of my next new car list and the front-runner with me is the GT V6 not the base 4cyl model. I haven't decided on whether I want 5-speed or 6-speed manual yet...as long as it's a manual! I either want a Rally Red or Cobalt Blue one. Most everything I read about this beautiful new sports car is positive....I've heard of very few problems people have had. One is peeling paint on the door sill and/or spoiler area. You haven't had these problems crop up,Ing? Also, I don't plan on altering the body of mine a bit. I love how it looks straight-from-the-factory-nothing-less-than exactly(credit must go to Clint Black...I couldn't resist). The only thing I would mess with would be a good set of radials to swap out for winter driving(Missouri presents a new challenge that Washington state didn't offer as I hear from the locals here). That should not be a problem but one that absolutely must be dealt with as the stock Michelin Pilots offer way too little winter traction. I'll need to find a good alternative for winter driving. Another thing I have heard about lately is in regards to the better durability of the GT V6 engine over the 2.0L DOHC 140hp 4 cylinder. I've been given this tip by a guy in Illinois who currently owns a base model-he STRONGLY recommends the GT V6. I like the stock wheels of the GT V6 model WAY better than the base model as well and I like the body slant of the GT V6 model better. Ingtonge18-your report is interesting because of the favorable comments from family members and people observing the car from the outside. "Smooth and composed at 100mph", huh? Whoo-hoo! I can be a Missouri hick with one of those new-fangled sports cars at a reduced price nonetheless! Keep reporting Ingtonge18 and other Tiburon enthusiasts!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Yep, my Tib is a V6 automatic. I have had no problems with peeling paint.
    that the peeling paint isn't an Tib-industry-wide problem going on...I kind of doubted it was anyway. Really favorable gas mileage too. Cool...hey, what color is your Tib, Ing, and are you completely happy with the color that you selected?

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear your Tiburon is serving you well. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
    My car is silver. I'm happy with the color for the most part since I live on a dirt road and the car looks clean longer. At the same time, silver is too common. I would have preferred the mystic teal or black but it wouldn't have looked as good covered in dust :)
    being Rally Red or Carbon Blue(I think I've been referring to it as Cobalt Blue lately on the web!)but for the Tib silver is a really good color, too. For that matter Mystic Teal or Black or Arctic White are pretty hot as well. Did you guys see that yellow version being offered in the Canadian market? I would be interested in that as well and I've noticed a lot of Americans are repulsed by the Hyundai Tuscani yellow that came out earlier this year up north... but I like it...I like it a lot!

• tapmbatapmba Member Posts: 1
    I wanted to buy a used car. I have seen that generally used Tiburons are not as highly priced as other cars like Honda-Civic, Toyota-Corolla. A 97 Tiburon costs as much as a 92 Honda-Civic. Whats the reason for this? Since you all have used this car, you all can give me some feed back on this. Whats the normal life of this car? What I know that Honda and Toyota can run for 150-200 K miles without much spent on the mentenace. Is it true for Tiburon too. I am looking for a car which will give more miles per gallon. Which one will you advice me to buy. Honda-Civic(93/94), Toyota-Corolla(93/94), Hundai-Tiburon/Ascent(97-98), Mitshubishi-Mirage(96-97). Which of the above mentioned cars will be best for better miles per gallon, less on mentenance. I will be using it for 3/4 years while I am at the college.
    a Coupe(European version of Tiburon)there in a convertible style. If enough people like it they may put it into production. It would be nice to have pictures but none were available. Check out the details of the glasstop-sounds like a lot of fun and one that I would order if I opted for a Tiburon GT V6.

http://www.hyundai-car.co.uk/press/article.asp?id=185

Respectable convertible top maker Karmann of Frankfurt is the sub-contractor for the Coupe's top and it offers the option of totally shut, open like a sunroof or totally down in convertible form with room inside not compromised by the folddown top..an important element to me as I'll want as much interior room in the Tib as possible. This is still a concept for now so public support could sway the automaker as far as actual production goes. Now for actual pictures!

that if you don't own the photo, we ask that you please just post a hyper-link to the photo, instead of embedding it directly into the message. Please note: Our Town Hall Member Agreement forbids postings that might "infringe in any manner on the copyright, trademark or intellectual property rights of any person or other entity."

Feel free to email me (revka@edmunds.com) if you have any questions regarding this policy; please do not address this with me here.

And now, back to the subject of Hyundai Tiburon. Thanks!

Revka
    I've seen official pics of the Tiburon convertible concept car and it's absolutely stunning. The glass top is similar in looks and operation to the Mercedes SL500 and Lexus SC430, except you can open just the top panel as a sunroof (ala Porsche 911 Targa) or fold the whole top into the trunk. Combine the Tiburon's great looks and reasonable price with this unique option, and you have one awesome car that would definitely sell. Hyundai would be stupid not to make this concept a reality. They would finally have a car whose unique aspect was not its warranty or cheap price and it would give Hyundai a chance to prove they are just as technologically advanced as everyone else. I know I would trade in my Tib to get this gorgeous car! Please, everyone make your opinions known about this car and help make Hyundai realize they need to produce this car!!

P.S. If anyone wants to see the pics, just email me (in profile) and I will give you the link.
    We now need a viable way to get our input about wanting them to produce this car back to them. This would be a great car to have with all of those cruising options. I wonder if they'll still be able to fit the spoiler on back there with the new fold-down action going on?

• mauvasmauvas Member Posts: 18
    I've just added a new forum about the Tiburon Convertible, just in case we want to centralize all the comments and to show all the interest in this new vehicle. As Iluvmysephia1 has pointed out, the concept car is plenty of innovations for the roof solution. Already there are some pictures available around the web.

Pictures can be seen here:

http://www.ciudad.com.ar/online3/00000000000090361.jpg
    http://img.interia.pl/motoryzacja/nimg/moto365840.jpg

Also from Kia, a cabrio prototype:
    http://img.interia.pl/motoryzacja/nimg/moto368885.jpg
    http://img.interia.pl/motoryzacja/nimg/moto368887.jpg
    http://img.interia.pl/motoryzacja/nimg/moto368889.jpg
    Thanks for the links! ;-)

Revka
    I've seen that body style without the cabriolet option on their Korean site before. They probably still have those pics there...they call it KC-3 or KM-3 or something like that. If Kia released this as a production model it would sell in large numbers...that might sway me from the Tiburon CCS although I don't think the Kia sports car is that close to production. Great links!

• carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    How do the two engines compare? Is the v6 worth the cost? More importantly to me, are there handling differences between the two? I'm not into drag racing, but I do carry heavy loads uphill now and then, so I can't automatically dismiss more power...
    The V6 is definitely worth the extra cost. The four cylinder is a good engine and feels peppy with a manual tranny, but it definitely doesn't match the performance image the Tiburon has. Add any weight to the car or get the automatic and the four cylinder engine will feel sluggish and the AC saps power as well. The V6 is so silky smooth, quick to rev, church quiet, and downright fast. It can handle added weight without too much of a performance loss. Handling is better with the V6 because it has a sport suspension whereas the four cylinder doesn't. The alloy block of the V6 actually allows the engine to weigh the same as the iron block four cylinder. If you can afford the added cost, I would suggest going for the V6. You will kick yourself if you don't.
    of the differences in the 4-cyl.or 6-cyl.version of the Tibby. I don't own a Tiburon but have followed it's development pretty closely on the net. I have driven the 4-cyl. 5-speed '03 Tiburon in a test drive and found it to be really fun to drive but the added power of the GT V6 would really be fun and helpful in some situations. I've decide that if I get a Tiburon it will be the GT V6. I would recommend your post above to anyone who is mulling over this decision right now.

tuning much at all. I like how it comes stock from Hyundai's factory. The 2.7-litre V6 is the same basic engine in the Sante Fe and Sonata, but has a unique "non-twist" crankshaft casing to improve reliability and overall refinement. What's more it also has a stylish new body that is longer, wider and heavier than the model it replaces. However, Hyundai claims to have improved the car's torsional rigidity by 20 per cent and its bending stiffness by a massive 60 per cent, which means better safety and handling. Smart, eh? Less horses produced coupled by more torsional rigidity and a little heavier body means a compromise of top-end speed through the higher gears. The GT V6's engine needs refining, you may have read...or does it? When you gather together how and why this car is engineered the way it is you understand it's limitations. To me, they're not limitations at all...I mean, we've got enough moronic road-racers in this nation as it is. Take some more downers people, I mean really! I'd like to make it home for the SuperSonic's game on TV. GT V6 owners have been getting anywhere from 16.6 to 20, 25 mpg....I've even heard of people getting 30mpg in their 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6's. I don't think that last bit of gas mileage input was very scientific-I tend to not believe it. However, I am very impressed with this vehicle from many different angles. I'm interested in those new colors for 2004, that I am. Rally Red remains my fave, but there's a new color called Tidal Wave Blue that HAS caught my eye, yes it has!

• srz948srz948 Member Posts: 75
    I was looking for a third car as my old van finally died. I have a 2002 Infiniti QX4 and I had purchased my son a 2000 Tiburon new. (My son had chosen the Tib over a Honda Civic). It's over three years since I bought that Tiburon. Zero problems, as tight as new and great gas mileage to boot. Not to mention another two years of bumper to bumper, roadside assist and six years of powertrain warranty left! My wife liked the Elantra GT so we went down to the dealer to check it out. But ever since the new Tiburon had come out last year I secretly yearned for it. I bought a 2003 base Tiburon in Alpine white with the Infinity radio($599!!!), automatic and moonroof. After the $1500 rebate $17,300 out the door. That includes NY sales tax, registration fees, everything. I thought that was pretty good. I was supposed to pick it up last tuesday. Last monday night however I was reading some of the posts on Edmunds and really felt like I had made a mistake not getting the GT. After getting all of my numbers straight I went to the dealer tuesday afternoon to pick up the car as planned. It was outside ready to be delivered. I told the saleman I really think I'd rather have a GT. They had 1 2003 in Alpine white with auto and moonroof. I offered them $700 additional for the GT and they accepted. $18,000 total out the door. The 4 cylinder drove like my sons. Not bad. The V6 is something else entirely. Incredibly smooth with power delivery similar to an Infiniti G35. The leather seats are beautiful and the radio with the sub woofer is awesome.(although at that price it should have a cd changer). This car represents a truly incredible value.
    Good luck with your new Tiburon!

You might not find it that surprising that stock G35's and 350Z's are not that much faster than the GT's on the strip. You would certainly think 85-100 extra horses would make a big difference, but from what I've heard, the difference is in tenths rather than seconds. Granted, the Tiburons referred to have cold air intakes and some have aftermarket exhausts, but that usually only amounts to 20-30 extra HP.

I think the GT's power is somewhat underrated. There are times I'd swear I had a turbo the way she hauls!
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    Must be the low end torque!
    The 04 Tiburon stats are up on Hyundai's website. They made quite a few small changes. Most of them make me happy I bought an 03. The 04 four cylinder is now rated at 138 hp and the V6 172. The V6 auto gains 17" wheels as standard and all V6s now come with the high spoiler and cargo net. All Tibs come standard with metal trim on dash. Leather and the infiniti sound system are no longer standard on the V6 (WTF!!). So, now, if you want an 04 GT V6 equipped like an 03, you can expect to pay about $450 more (at least in the case of V6 auto, sunroof, leather).

Personally, I'm glad I have the 16" wheels and low spoiler. The high spoiler cuts down on rear visibility and the 17" wheels make the ride too rough. The metal trim sounds like a good addition that should help brighten the interior some.
    I'm with you on preferring the low spoiler. I disagree about the 17" wheels, however. I replaced my 16" OEMs with 17's and the handling is much improved with the lower profile tires. True, the ride is a bit harder, but I enjoy it (as long as I can spot the bad potholes in time!).

I'm disappointed to see they've softened up the suspension. I'm sure that will sell more cars, but will also subtract from the handling and increase body roll. Glad I bought the '03 GT!
    Considering the base price of a late 2003 GT was $18,599 with leather and Infinity sound system, and the 2004 is $18,599 without those items, I'm real glad I decided to go with the '03. Not to mention the $1500 rebate and the 9 additional horsepower. By the way, my '03 "leftover" was an early one with a base price of $17,999
    and thanks for your notes. We look forward to hearing more about your 03 Tiburon.... Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host of Hatchbacks & Wagons
    9 additional horsepower?? You are aware that the 03 Tiburon is rated at 170 right? The 04 gained 2 hp. When you bought you car, didn't the dealer require you to sign the disclosure stating you were shown the misstated hp form?
    I'm curious about the suspension change. Has it been verified that the V6 no longer has the sport suspension or was the sport suspension just made the standard setup, thus why they no longer advertise the difference? I find it odd they would back track from the sporty aspect. I remember the early 01 Elantra GT had the same suspension as the GLS and later Hyundai switched to the sport suspension. Maybe Hyundai has done the same with the Tiburon and cancelled the "comfort" suspension. If that's true, the four cylinder Tiburon should handle much better now and the V6 will be the same.
    I thought all GT V6's came with OEM 17" wheels.

• msandakmsandak Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on the offer Hyundai has given me for a 2003 Tiburon. It is an automatic V4 with all of the options including sunroof, all leather and the 270 watt infiniti sound system. I am looking to finance and they have me at $16,000 over 72 months. I live in NJ. Anyone know if this is a good deal?
    03 GT V6's equipped with an automatic only came with 16" wheels. I'm not sure why Hyundai did this, but they made the change to 17" wheels for 04. I prefer the 16" wheels since I drive mainly on city streets that aren't the smoothest and have dealt with bent rims many times before. The 16" rims rode much smoother and the tires will be much cheaper to replace.
    I got my horsepower number of 181 from the Tiburon brochure as well as Car & Driver and Road and Track sites. Everywhere else I looked on line had the 170 hp as you stated. I was not aware of this discrepancy. Could you enlighten me further?
    Never mind. Just went back and read all of the old posts regarding the issue. Car still drives great!
    Hyundai simplifies Tiburon packaging and pricing for 2004

Hyundai has released 2004 model year pricing for the Tiburon. The MSRP increased an average of USD 610 or 3.65 percent. The pricing actions reflect the manufacturer's attempt to repackage the content to better match consumer demand and simplify orders.

The base Tiburon gets a new 2.0-liter engine featuring continuously variable valve timing (CVVT) along with a standard low-height rear spoiler. Changes have also been made to the GT models as well. All Tiburon's receive metal-grain interior accents and newly styled, black and silver mesh floor mats. The Infinity sound system, previously standard on the GT is now optional on all models.

All option packages have been re-contented and re-priced.
    Destination charges remain unchanged at USD 540.

Standard equipment for GT V6 models include:
    - cloth seats
    - 17" Michelin Pilot tires
    - more comfortable suspension set-up
    - modified dual exhaust
    - high-height rear spoiler
    - aluminum pedals (6MT)

New colors are also available:
    - Sterling replaces Silver Blue
    - Moonlit Blue replaces Carbon Blue.
    - Tidal Wave (new color)
    - Mystic Teal (discontinued)