Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• heypogiheypogi Member Posts: 5
    that's great your friend got a free transmission. at least she got 85k.

have a 04 mdx, 56k had a leaking transmission gasket that needed for the
    traany to be replaced. luckily had serviced at dealership.
    Acura came thru with me paying only $100.
    Lucky!
  • methane802methane802 Member Posts: 11
    Had my 2009 MDX for several days. Notice when use AUTO climate control, there is a sound ("click" followed by fan-like sound) that goes on and off, on top of the engine sound. I figured that it's from AC, probably due to condenser kicking in and turning off.

I know it's probably a dumb question, but I wonder if this is normal.
  • danieltxdanieltx Member Posts: 2
    I had the same thing happen this morning on my 2002. Plugged in a cell phone charger and poof! No radio, screen, or acc socket power. I haven't checked the fuses yet, but it sounds like that isn't the problem.

Let me know if you find a solution, I'll do the same.
  • danieltxdanieltx Member Posts: 2
    Mine did end up being a fuse. Guess I will throw away the charger.
  • lori23lori23 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 03 MDX and recently I have had happen twice a very loud "electric motor sound" in the car. It has happened going from reverse to drive. Anyone have a clue as to what this loud sound could be. It is so loud it blocks out all other noise and can only be stopped by turning the car off.
  • acuramdx08acuramdx08 Member Posts: 1
    havy you had any noise problem after the fix.
    i am having same noise problem with my 2008 mdx.
    i took the mdx to the dealer twice and all they did was to spray some rubber softer. the noise came back after 2 days. i am going to take the mdx back to dealer tomorrow. i should have brought lexus or bmw.
  • jyao888jyao888 Member Posts: 32
    I start feeling loud wind noise after my new 09MDX w/ only 800mi.
    Had you find out any resolutions yet?
  • djrasuredjrasure Member Posts: 1
    At 60 mph my 2006 MDX makes a high pitched whirring or whistling noise. When you let off the accelerator, it goes away. This happens with the A/C on and without. With the cruise control set at 60, 65, 70 mph, the same thing happens. When you cancel the cruise control, the noise goes away. The Dealer said this was "normal" but I've never had anything like this before. Any ideas?
  • jyao888jyao888 Member Posts: 32
    I took my 09MDX in for technician to check the wind noise out and other mechanical issues. I stated I could hear all wind noise at 40mph at local road and 60mph up at highway. The technician tested drive and said it is normal. The SUV is a big box car and he didn't hear the sound of wind coming thru inside of the car. All noise you could hear is causing by wind turbulent outside of car body.
    I did test with all radio and A/C off and have this loud sound all the times.
    Is it normal? I hear some friend said the Lexus have much better noise reduction inside the car. Any thoughts?
  • jamin2jamin2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, new to this site. Seems this electrical problem is common. Just no damn solution! Frustrating. If the fuses are all fine, just what may be the problem and how do I fix it? What did you learn about this? My Nav, Radio, and Power outlets are all not working. I plugged in a radar detector and now all of this! Seems folks at this link all experienced the same thing, just no solutions available. Please help!
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    " I plugged in a radar detector and now all of this!"

It wasn't a Cobra was it?!?

Seriously though it sounds like a blown fuse.
    Well I was approaching 70k trouble free miles in my '04 MDX when it suddenly came down with a case of "sticky shifter". It literally happened overnight, the day before it went "snick, snick" when you moved the shifter, the next day it was like someone poured molasses down there. Acura service told me sometimes condensation forms and they have to take the shifter assembly apart "around $200, yada, yada". Transmission is fine (knock on wood), has this happened to anyone else?
  • kdiaskdias Member Posts: 8
    Hey vaughn4

I have had the compliance bushings on my '08 MDX changed twice. The second time they needed to be changed because the original clicking problem persisted. Now the cllicking has gone away, however, it seems like there now is a buzz or a hum (high frequency vibration) when I get above 70 mph. Did you experience anything similar to this? Thanks

kdias
  • dennisfdennisf Member Posts: 4
    I own an Acura MDX 2006. I bought it because of its reputation of quality and reliability. I guess it's no more.

Last week, the car suddenly lost its steering power when my wife picked up my 17 mo old boy. My wife had to do an emergent stop on the side of road and had to call the roadside service. Fortunately it happened on local road. I cannot imagine what would happen to my wife and kid if it were on highway. The tow truck driver came and found the crank pulley sitting on the ground when he checked the car. I was shocked to see the actual crank pulley piece of medal laying on the ground. This MDX is only 26k.

Obviously the vehical is not under heavy use. But still over the past 3 years of ownership, it has given us problem after problem. First it's the air conditioning system failure within one year. Then it's the wind shield fluid dispense system failure. Now it's the life threatening incident.

I would never buy Acura anymore.

-Dennis
  • topofftopoff Member Posts: 19
    I just bought a low mileage 06 MDX - same problem same speed etc. taking to dealer tomorrow (front bearings sound rough, also)
  • stinger3stinger3 Member Posts: 16
    I, like previous posters, have an undiagnosable right rear thumping noise on my (2009) MDX with Sport suspension. It is a mild thumping, not cracking, clanking,or clunking. Noise is heard even on the most mild pavement variations. Been to the dealer twice. They claim that all is normal. They can't hear it/findit/fix it. I drove an '09 MDX dealer loaner car and it makes the same noise. It seems to me to be an inherent flaw. I am bummed as I love the car but the noise is wicked obnoxious. How long can I last with it? I am not sure, but I know I will be back at the dealer again for another go at it.
  • smilsomsmilsom Member Posts: 11
    I really cant believe that no one else notices this either. I had the bushings replaced or tightened and it didnt do anything. I also took out another MDX and it had the same noise characteristic. Just a really annoying thud type noise going over sharper bumps. If you find a solution Please let me know!!!
  • smilsomsmilsom Member Posts: 11
    I have an 09 MDX and I cant seem to control the airflow out of the center dashboard vent - even when the fan is low it still shoots out. The only way to reduce it seems to be to change the Mode so no air comes through the front dashboard vents but thats really not an option. Anyone else have this issue? There should be a damper on this vent.
    I can't characterize what I had as a thumping, but my '08 MDX madde cliccking or tapping sounds that I belieeve were coming when the car was switching from 2-wheel to all-wheel and vice versa. I had the bushings changed twice. The ddealer referred to them as "compliaance bushings". The sound has gone away, but now I have a high frequencyy vibration, more llike a buzz, when I get to 70 mph.
    Picked the car up again and it still makes the same noise - but still only on the right rear wheel/shock. Seems as if it is the damper but Acura dudes say everything is tight and shocks are not leaking. I am going to test a new 09 MDX and compare. No matter what, it is a terrible racket and not something that should be found on a car of this caliber. If this noise continues it is going to drive me nuts. Best of luck to you to solve your issue.
    I don't think it is normal. My 09 MDX produces very quiet wind noise. Hope you can find a cure.
    Thanks. I take it in next week for an oil change. Will have it checked out for the buzz. I agree that a car of this caliber should not have all the issues I have experienced. Very disappointing. I have had it in the shop about six times for various minor problems.
  • steve306steve306 Member Posts: 1
    cannot shift gears stuck between park and reverse
    Update on "sticky shifter"
    Took it to Honda because Acura is an hour away, they took the center console apart and found the shifter cable was corroided on both ends, lubed it up and will be ready by the end of the day, no parts just labor, $85.
    What year is your MDX? Mine is an '04, see message #1765.
  • qaliqali Member Posts: 60
    I recently bought a low-mileage 05 MDX Touring in Toronto. The symptoms are exactly as reported by djrasure and topoff, ie, the whistling sound comes around 50mph - 70 mph. As soon as I take my foot off the accelarator, the sound goes away. When I took a technician on a test drive he told me that the sound is made by the air intake manifold valve (whatever that means) and that it is normal. But there is no sound at lower speeds or at idle. The technician told me to bring it in if the sound increases, but he did acknowledge the sound. Stumped :(
    Thanks - I am going to test drive others at another location - same sound then fine. But I don't want to hear 'they all do that' and they don't.
  • krypton4krypton4 Member Posts: 4
    I am having the same problem with my 2007 MDX nose mask. Did you order a new one?. Did it help? :cry:
    I've never used the mask - look under one (even on one near new 2008+) and see the paint damage. All that dirt and water does add up after a while.
  • johnnybluesjohnnyblues Member Posts: 1
    Did anybody get a fix for this? Would the Hood deflector help? I just bought a 2007 with the hood problem and would like to fix it.

Thanks,
    John
  • krypton4krypton4 Member Posts: 4
    I only use the mask on long trips. I was trying to find out if some one had the same problem and fixed it. :confuse:
  • saramaddiesaramaddie Member Posts: 19
    Never did solve the problem. Finally removed it and as some one else mentioned the paint did have some slight marring. Fortunately, I was able to buff out the marks and it is pretty much not noticeable anymore.
  • saramaddiesaramaddie Member Posts: 19
    I started receiving a "DVD read error" message on my 2007 NAV system. Was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Did you have to take it to the dealer? What was the solution?
  • alee10781078alee10781078 Member Posts: 1
    Hi acuraman8 ..i just had this happened to me today, how was your problem resolve?
  • mcar76mcar76 Member Posts: 2
    The keyless entry can unlock and lock the car with no problems, but it cannot activate the alarm system. The red light doesn't flash on the driver's side door.

What fuse is the alarm system on for the 2005 model, I have looked through the manual and cannot find it. Please help thanks.
  • jps8870jps8870 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get this problem resolved?

I have the same problem you summarized. Still no power to my radio, ac adapter, a/c controls, trip computer, etc.
    Are you sure it's not just the red LED that is out? Roll the drivers side window down, get out, shut the door, lock the car w/ the fob and then lift up the lock, if the horn goes off, then it is just the light. Does the panic button set off the alarm?
  • mcar76mcar76 Member Posts: 2
    I figured it out. The back passenger door behind the driver will only lock or unlock manually. The power lock on the keyless entry control nor the power lock on the driver/passenger door will lock or unlock that back door. Once I manually lock it the alarm beeps, sets and the red light flashes. The door lock on the passenger door must have a short, and I do not see a specific fuse for that door? Any fix suggestions or am I looking at having to take into a Acura or better yet a Honda dealer? Please help.

Also, thanks for the reply Upstatedoc.
  • seerussseeruss Member Posts: 2
    My passenger side window was broken and during the replacement the Acura dealership left glass in the door. When we returned the vehicle to have the glass removed the dealership claimed they did not have a vacuum that could reach the bottom of the door and that they'd have to enlarge the drainage hole my drilling the door to remove the left over glass. Does this seem correct?
  • herberthherberth Member Posts: 2
    No. I had my driver side door broken into and the window replacement company did no such thing. Drilling holes in your door will create possible places for rust to develop. If the Acura dealer wants to do this, then you need to ask them to talk to Acura HQ. They need better vacuuming tools and patience in continually shaking and knocking on the door to jar loose the glass fragments so that they can settle down to the drainage holes and removed.
  • vaughn4vaughn4 Member Posts: 106
    Just happened to be visiting this forum - I see the problems continue to mount for the MDX. Seems Acura's are having more issues than the domestics these days. At any rate, to answer your question I couldn't stand my 07 MDX any more and got rid of it. Now have an 09 Honda Pilot Touring Edition and no issues so far. Go figure the cheaper cousin is more trouble free and a ton less expensive!
    Yeah, sorry vaughn4, you must have gotten a lemon, our '07 is following in the footsteps of our '04...bulletproof.
  • ss100ss100 Member Posts: 1
    I have a gauge/dial on the dash which indicates RPM X 1000 on my 2002 Acura MDX. The pointer normally pointed to 2 when the engine was running. I have recently noticed that it points to 1 or lower when the engine is running, though it jumps to 2 and over when I press the gas pedal or accelerate and quickly falls back to 1. The car runs fine, but at lower speeds I feel the engine vibrate once in a while. What does this indicate. Appreciate your guidance.
    Problem fix - Went all the way to the Acura Tech Center. Transmission cable acts as a sound tube directing the transmission noise into the interior. New cable and proper adjustments solved the problem. Wonderful car. Covered under warranty. Good luck!
  • qaliqali Member Posts: 60
    Thanks Topoff, and I am glad your problem is fixed. Can you please send me the URL for the Acura Tech Center and tech # (if one exists). That way I am better informed when I discuss this with the dealer.
    The dealer did the leg work - at first it looked like a transmission issue - pump etc. The dealership needs to call the tech center prior to doing major work to ensure warranty coverage.
    I posted awhile back about a thumping coming from the right side rear suspension in my 2009 MDX with sport package suspension. After three visits and many complaints to the dealer they fessed up and stated that they do not know what is wrong and they don't know how to fix it. Further, they admitted that Acura has been aware of this problem in the MDX going back to 2007 but don't know what is causing the problem. (It sounds like a tennis ball bonking around in a cardboard box whenever I go over even the slightest disruption in the pavement. The noise is reminiscent of a bushing problem or shock dampner out of whack.) Dealer said that Acura suits said it is, "Commercially acceptable." Thanks for taking my $50k and then telling me that, Acura. I think we disagree. Anybody have any solutions for me in terms of getting this taken care of?
  • aztec1sunaztec1sun Member Posts: 8
    While accelerating sometimes there's a loud clapping sound from the engine compartment or from underneath the engine, tranny maybe. A single pop, very loud and startling, followed by a momentary loss of power. Like a misfire, or a tractor.
    Dealer is clueless or is pretending to be. Does anyone know about this?
  • brahda808brahda808 Member Posts: 25
    Okay, it's been sometime now and I haven't given an update on the squeeky window. The noise came back shortly after the last post. About a month later, I took the MDX back in and they basically took every that could come out of the door and reinstalled it, torquing it to specs. Problem solved. I've been squeeky free since then. But...the exhaust smell is still there when accelerating hard and the A/C is on recirculate. They haven't been able to fix this problem.
  • valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    My 2008 Acura MDX Sport/Ent has an issue with the steering wheel being 3 degrees to the left of center on the highway. I have paid for an alignment already but the 3 degrees to the left persists. While not horrible I was wondering if a private alignment shop could tweak it a bit so the steering wheel is dead center when drivng in the center lane. Yes, I realize there is a CROWN to the road; still I am not used to the steering wheel being off to the left and it is annoying. Anyone else notice this issue? The Acura TECH says my car is within SPECS.