Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,368
    A late 50s Transporter would have the classic split glass windshield. Those didn't get curved windshields 'til '68 or '69 IIRC.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Yep, it was a split windshield, and it wasn't a cargo van - it had windows, but it wasn't a 21 window or anything. A period grey color, not in bad condition but with a lot of patina.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    Either a 55 or 57. I cant tell them apart.

Lite mint green (not really bad looking). Of all odd place, on the Schuykill expressway.

also some old cheys. A 65ish 4 door Chevelle or Malibu, and a '67 full size 2 door. Tha looked pretty nice.

And yesterday, a '64ish Ford fairlan rumbled by my house. Old guy driving, but it burbled nice. Def. hopped up. Also seemed to have a bit of extra tire and suspension in the back.

And finally, in my town, a '71-73 Mustang fastback (looked brand new). Maybe a spirit of america? was that the white one with blue stripes (and a big baby blue band around the rocker panels)?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    A 57 has slightly more pronounced and angled tail fins and is a little bigger than the 55 or 56 which look really similar.

The early 2 seat Birds are great looking cars.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Saw a good-looking red one in traffic (couldn't see the model #), stacked dual headlights - W111? While I've seen so many pics of them here, I can't remember the last time I saw a fintail 'in the wild'.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Where I live (Santa Cruz county) I still see an amazing number of them putting around---they are all beat to crap but still going. We also have the requisite cooking oil machines (the 300D and SD) all over the place, being a place with a "green consciousness", and a couple of 60s coupes (the "heavies" I call 'em). Never see pontons anymore though. Plenty of V-8 SLs, too, most of them acceptable-looking.

Unlike a fintail, when a V-8 SL is neglected, it STOPS.
    Yep that would be a W111, or if you are very lucky, a W112.

I only see one other than mine very rarely too, and most of them are the lower line models.
    I'd move to Germany simply to have shows like this - this gathering was one of several this year for the 50th anniversary of the fintail:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaHfwS0wej8

And the oldest taxi in Berlin - a 190D fintail:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlBssuzli7Y

Older sedans do keep soldiering on, so long as they are a 4, 6, or diesel, they will slowly decay, rather than randomly die like a V8. I think the sedans are just like the SLs you mention - when the time comes, they simply stop.
    -A Porsche 914/4, medium blue with the chromed bumpers in very nice shape, looked like a 1.7 liter car not the late 2.0.

-BMW 2002, Ink Blue, clean and straight.

It's nice to great cars get saved.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    from mass to watch our nephew from michigan play ice hockey,
    a silverish C43 AMG with a marker plate 'M THIS'. :P
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    That's a good one...and a rare car.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    I am sure it was a Karmen Ghia sitting along the highway for sale. Bright red. There was a pine bush obscuring the car part of the time but it sure looked like one from the 80s.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• missadams1missadams1 Member Posts: 4
    The two youtube links are great. As I already posted I am a big Mercedes Benz fan and would definitely love to join such an event. Besides this I am a big fan of Germany. I have been there three times already and I really loved it.
    Recently I needed a new car insurance and due to this I did a little research in the internet. Due to this I found a page on which you can compare car insurances between USA and Germany. It is actually good to see what other countries have.
    I share the same sympathies regarding MB and Germany. I will be there for a few weeks this fall, and for the time I have a rental car, it will be a MB - there are few non-MB cars I will accept :shades:

When I rent a car, I usually decline the insurance sold by the rental company, but this time I bought it, as it will be an expensive car.

The differences in licensing standards are interesting there, too - a bit more demanding than in NA.
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Did you book your car already fintail?

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

Yep, 9 days of an LDAR booked from the Sixt station at the central MB dealer in Munich. That should get me an E350 CDi, but I would accept a coupe, or an upgrade to an S/CL/SL (German rental fleets are amazing). I wouldn't smile about being downgraded into a smaller engined car, as I have a lot of driving planned and I want to go fast :shades: . I have heard that sometimes booking in that class will get you an "upgrade" into an ML, but that will be a point of contention with me and I will gladly take a taxi to another location, even the airport, to not have an SUV.
    IIRC the last year the Ghia was sent to the US was 1974, it couldn't meet the safety requirements.
    Nice. I guess you'd get the new generation E class. I think for me, a big part of the vacation would be just driving the car. Sightseeing would be almost secondary. lol

Yep, I know the W212 has been in German fleets for a couple months now. Most of the 350 series cars are very well optioned, too - nav, LED running lights, full leather, etc.
    The car is probably the part of the trip I am looking forward to the most. I estimated my driving and I will probably drive over 3000km in those 9 days, so it will be worth it. I will have more than a week before I get the car to hang out and look around...then I get to drive around. A few days I will be driving a lot, maybe 8 hours...but I will enjoy it.

This is a German forum devoted to discussing rental cars...no English version, but it can be translated online, or if one has a moderate understanding, it shouldn't be a problem

Most surprising deal I have seen - Sixt has a promotion for the new M3, 99 Euro/day. Could make a fun weekend.
    Wow, that would be fun. an M3! There's only one place in Vancuver that rents exotics, but it's like $1k a day for a believable Lambo replica :lemon: but it's still a replica!

M3 for an affordable rate, no less. I know in the past there have been S8s in German fleets, and when the W220 S-class was winding down, I think Sixt had some S65 AMGs. Sure beats what's available on this side of the pond.

$1K for a replica? Insane. I would rather rent a Corvette from a mainstream agency for like $100/day. There are a few highline rental agencies here too that charge several hundred per day for an S or 7er.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    spotted outside my mechanic's shop yesterday. Looked pretty good from a distance, and even up close not too bad. Slight rust around the headlight bezels, and lower rear quarter panels. Basically, standard equipment for cars of that era! It was a faded medium blue with a white roof.

What would be a good price for a halfway decent 1960 Dodge 4-door hardtop these days? I like 'em, although I told my mechanic that I'd want a "real" Dodge...either a Matador or Polara. He said that 4-door hardtops are starting to become a hot item, as prices for the convertibles and hardtop coupes get cost prohibitive. But I still can't see the nicest '60 Matador or Polara 4-door hardtop as being worth much more than $10-12K. Or am I off-base here?
    No you are right on target. You'd be lucky to sell a near show-quality 4DHT Polara in this economic market for much more than $12,000. I don't see why you couldn't find a very sharp "driver" for about $6000.

As for being a "hot item", I've yet to see the 4DHTs even threaten to become "hot". Some are "warm" but they aren't likely to sizzle as long as their 2D counterparts are competing with them in the marketplace at reasonable competitive prices. A 2DHT shouldn't cost much than $12K and even a top notch convertible isn't much more than a $20K car right now. You could probably find a decent convertible with a few needs for the same price as a top priced 4DHT--and you know which one will sell first.

It's another case where rarity does not equal greater value.

Problem with the vast majority of 4DHTs is that they are awkward-looking and emulate their lowly 4-door sedan brethren, whereas the 2DHTs emulate the convertibles with the top up. People notice this I think and it's reflected in their buying choices.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...very faded red 1975-76 Ford Ranchero on the back of a rolltop truck on Longshore Street near Rising Sun Avenue in NE Philly.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    a couple of alfa verts with the black rear end caps.
    1 black 1 silver
    the silver one i saw today looked like it only comes out on those beautiful days like today.
    also a 69/70 firebird convertible.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,182
    Don't see many of these, any more... Red, of course...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Re the NSX - I hadn't noticed, none of those driving aroung here, either. Wonder why? Not like they wore out...
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    ....I saw a STUNNING, maroon '62 Chevrolet Bel Air two-door hardtop (aka 'bubbletop'), not something you see every day, especially not in Chicago. Its only downfall were the IROC wheels it was wearing.

Spotted in a locked mechanic's lot: I'm 'pretty sure' it was a 1965 Dodge Polara or Custom 880 four-door sedan (it was a 'six-window' variety, didn't know they still made those in '65), in decent condition, kinda light beige w/matching interior

Also saw a Mercury Capri XR2 (the turbo variety) for sale, in that awful period aqua/green, for $1000. Looked in decent shape for the $, I guess. I know nothing about these....anyone?

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    All I know is theywere sourced out of Australia. No idea what, if anything, they were based on. Never drove one (don't think I ever even sat in one), but I don't think they were anything special, but seems like could be some cheap fresh air (if you can get parts of course).

What is that clunker? Looks like a Lt. Columbo Peugeut

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I knew a guy with one of those little Aussie Capris. I lost touch with him, but I don't think he had it for very long. He went through a whole bunch of old cars, but never really found one that he liked. He had a 1950 DeSoto 4-door sedan when I first ran across him, then moved to a 1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado...a ritzy "spring special", but still just a 4-door sedan. He got a touch of convertible fever after I bought my '67 Catalina. And he countered with...a 1984 LeBaron convertible. :sick: He didn't like it, and it wasn't all that reliable, so he ditched it for the Capri.

Eventually, I think he settled on something he really liked...a 1972 Corvette. Red, 350 small block, and IIRC, it had the targa roof. So it was kinda like having 2/3 of a convertible, I guess.

The last time I saw him, 1999 I guess, he still had the Corvette, but I can't remember if he had the Capri or not. I never did get a chance to ride in it.
    Look at what entered the burnout competition at the Carlisle Mopar Nats this year!

I missed it while it was in action, but later that evening, this 5th Ave was parked next to mine. I was pulling the wire hubcaps off my car in preparation for leaving, as I'm sure it would lose them, when a couple guys came up to me and asked me if this was the car from the burnout competition. I didn't know what they were talking about, but then said maybe it was the one next to me? Well, we went over to it, and while he had his good tires back on by that point, you could smell the burnt rubber. And looking at the pic, it looks like he lost a trim piece when the rear tire blew.

Too bad I didn't actually see this in action, but I was eating dinner at the time. And ironically, I had always joked about putting my 5th Ave in the burnout competition, but I'm just afraid that I'd shred the transmission! Once the show is over, I still depend on that car to get me the 130 miles back home!
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Yesterday, on I90 heading west, a pickup was towing a trailer with a car, cream colored, that had "Wasp" logo on trunk and on side. Looked like something from late 40's, 50's.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    when a couple guys came up to me and asked me if this was the car from the burnout competition.

Never could understand burnouts, doughnuts by presumably "adults". Can understand mentality (or lack of) teen-age guys laying rubber on streets, rural roads late Friday, Saturday nights. What's with the nascar guys.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    >Never could understand burnouts, doughnuts

I'm not into those events either. One that bothers me is taking a good old big-engined car and putting spark plugs in the tailpipes and running rich somehow and igniting the gasoline for backfires. They had a competition for that at a small church cruise-in nearby a couple years ago. I was watching and just thought, "Why?"

I'm always most impressed by a car that is really stock down to the hubcaps/beauty rings/ Rally II wheels that the cars came with. Or at most the typical Cragar type aftermarket wheel put on that type of car when it was young.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I would think that roughly $2,500 is about all the money for this car.
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    ....which makes it a shoo-in for several birthdays there, if they're serious. Not to mention the myth that these are 'going up in value'....not that one, it's ALL wrong. And the main draw (the miles) means ya can't drive it (and in Chicago it'd turn into a rust bucket in two years anyway).
    The car is basically epoxied to the showroom floor at that price. It's ridiculous. Maybe some sentimental drunk would buy it for what....$4000...??
    And on top of that, it's a slushbox, in less than gorgeous period colors.

It's an interesting survivor, but Shifty's price sounds right to me. A Supra should bring a little more.
    I agree. That body style Supra was one of my favorite childhood cars. If this would be a Supra, with a 5 speed, in that condition, then maybe you'd find someone to pay $5k for it.

I think this was a granny car. Brown colors, low mileage, perfect condition, and an automatic.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    Didn't Hudson make a Wasp as well as the famed Hornet?

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

If it was a mint Supra in the period silver blue I remember, with 24K miles on it and the good options (I think those had digital dash components and a complicated 80s looking stereo as options, among other things), I'd be hard pressed not to buy it for 5K. Those were a childhood favorite of mine, too.

At least the granny car has the period wheels, those are amusing.

Oh yeah, and even here where the weather is relatively gentle, the lower part of the rear hatch will almost always rust out if the car is not garaged. I remember a couple kids had those cars when I was in high school, and they were rusting then.
    And I never liked how the Celicas had the weird front end with the upwards facing/tilting headlights. I think I liked the Supras because once again, a friend had a Matchbox version of one. :blush:

I'm influenced so much in my old car tastes by the Matchbox cars I or my friends had when I was little.

I had the Hot Wheels Supra - it was red with gold wheels, I remember it clearly. It didn't survive, but I do remember it was a fairly accurate casting. I never had the Matchbox one, not that I remember. I know I had the Tomica version of the first Supra...I still have it.

I'm still not sure what influenced my tastes in cars.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...blue 1976 Cadillac Sedan DeVille with a white top and interior travelling north on Rising Sun Avenue near Knorr Street in NE Philly.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Holy smokes! Now I kind of like Celicas but I'd really like some of whatever that guy is smoking. Wow!
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    I saw a really nice '62 Corvette in a parking lot yesaterday, black with a tan top, no contrating cove as was typical of '62s (last year of the C1, four headlights, duck tail, no chrome outlining the cove.)

• colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    It's a Triumph, either a Herald or Vitesse.
    Looks like a Triumph Herald convertible with a clunky aftermarket hardtop bolted on.

Cheap 'n cheerful.