Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram

Comments

• panmanpanman Member Posts: 25
    I'm also curious, if you don't tow anything, why do you feel you need the 3500 with a 4.10 rear end? Not to say you shouldn't get something you want, I know I didn't need everything I got on my Ram but that seems like an awful lot of truck w/ a lot of pulling power if you never tow anything. Good luck deciding.
  • rlkruegerrlkrueger Member Posts: 98
    Well, the reason was primarily due to how the engine performed with the auto trans in OverDrive (OD) in normal driving, nothing to do with towing capability. We felt we should buy our next truck suited to the type of driving we do 90% or more of the time. With that in mind, we drove both the 3:54 and 4:10 rear ends extensively in testing around town and on the thruway at 75 mph.
    Here's what we found.
    In most around town areas where the speed limits were 35 - 45 mph, and the normal traffic was usually 5 mph faster than posted speeds, the 3:54 was constantly shifting in and out of OD in this speed range. We felt this to be irritating and probably unduly hard on the auto trans. Taking another truck with the 4:10, the engine was able to shift into OD quicker, and around town driving from 40 mph all the way up to 75 on the thruway resulted in less than half of the shifts from OD, and a resultant quieter ride as the engine was not constantly changing RPM ranges forced on it by the auto trans. On the thruway, obviously the 3:54 was more at home. RPM's at 75 with the 3:54 was just a shade under 2100, while the 4:10 was only 300 RPM faster at 2400. Obviously, were we to do most of our driving on the thruway at higher speeds, the 3:54 would be the logical choice, as the engine would run at a slower speed, and a 2 - 3 mpg increase in mileage would be beneficial.
    While we may take a trip out West, and 6-8 times a year drive 200 miles to our cottage in the Adirondack Mountains, we didn't feel this was enough justification for the 3:54. On the contrary, we felt the 4:10, for the 90% normal driving, would take less toll on the engine and transmission by virtue of the fact that it was not constantly shifting in and out of OD. I also am of the opinion, and I proved this to myself with my current Dodge Truck, that what causes the most increase in gas mileage is when the engine is trying to pull in the Torque end of the RPM range. I found, with my current gas engine, that I have a 2 - 3 mpg increase in normal back and forth to work driving by leaving the OD out and letting the engine operate in a higher RPM range.
    When I leave the OD in, the engine is shifting in and out of OD quite a bit, pulling more, and my mileage goes down.
    So presently, we are opting for the 4:10, and are willing to sacrifice the small thruway mileage difference to obtain smoother, quieter driving in normal conditions with less wear and tear on the trans and engine.
    My mind is not a closed book on this subject, and I certainly would appreciate hearing your viewpoints, especially from those that have the 24 valve Cummins and drive it under conditions similar to my own.
    I do have one question. My dealer cannot tell me when, approximately, we would be able to order a 2000, if we chose not to order a 99. I would also like to know, if we did decide to do this, when could we reasonably expect to see this truck?

Thanks,
    rk
    I neglected to mention that while the 3500 is an impressive-looking vehicle, we decided that it was overkill for our needs, and have chosen the 2500HD SLT Quad-Cab equipped with the Cummins and Auto-Trans. The issue above, however, remains the same.

Thanks,
    rk
  • mharde2mharde2 Member Posts: 278
    rk, My 24V with 3.54 auto never shifts in & out of overdrive around town or on the hwy, even when I pull my 26' 5th wheel, unless I encounter a really steep hill. Maybe there was a problem with the one you test drove...Also the Allison 5 speed auto should be coming out soon. That should change things dramaticly..
    mharde2,
    I read something about the Allison trans in a previous post, referred to initially as an automatic, but then a following post corrected that to mean an Allison 6 speed Manual, not automatic. Do you have some documentation somewhere on this issue? That would be great if your information was indeed accurate. Does your source indicate this is an offering for the 2000 model year?

thanks,
    rk
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    rk,

The Allison is a 5 speed automatic; the 6 speed manual is made by New Venture Gear, same folks who make the 5 speed manual. The 6 speed manual is being made for those who ordered in a small window back in January and February; it will be released for all Cummins trucks for model year 2000. The Allison is also expected to be ready for model year 2000 as well - click here to read about the Allison.

As for the hunting you experienced with the 3.54, this is easily remedied by using the OD-Off button. You have to treat the Cummins-powered Ram just as you would a Cummins-powered Kenworth - keep it in the correct gear for the conditions. Don't think for a second that a big-rig driver goes straight for overdrive in that 15-speed ratio swapper. I have found with my 3.54 Cummins that, if I am not going to exceed 40 mph, turning the OD off keeps the engine in the perfect torque band, and the torque converter will then lock up in 3rd gear instead of waiting for OD. Check these effective ratios:

3.54 axle x 0.69 overdrive = 2.44
    4.10 axle x 0.69 overdrive = 2.83
    3.54 axle x 1.00 direct (3)= 3.54

You will actually keep your rpms higher with the 3.54 in 3rd than the 4.10 in overdrive, givng you steady torque and more horsepower, if that's what you are seeking. Please remember you will NOT get the throttle response from the Cummins that you may be used to with a gasoline engine - you will have to accept you won't be coming off the line like you were before, so keeping the rpms too high won't change much in terms of that "seat of the pants" feel.

Your argument about the "torque end of the rpms" doesn't hold with a diesel. Gasoline and diesel engines are VERY different animals. A gasoline engine is a "peak rated" engine, meaning it is expected to reach a peak point for only short periods of time while operating. A diesel is "duty rated", meaning it can run all day at any single rpm in its operating range. You probably notice you can never achieve redline in OD in a gasoline powered vehicle. On the other hand, a diesel will go to redline and stay there in any gear. Diesels are happiest around their initial torque peak, but that is just 1600 rpm compared to twice that figure with a gasoline engine.

If you're not towing, you really are wasting fuel and money with a 4.10. Just downshift, and you can get that fuel benefit when you do use the highways. With my 3500, I have gotten 22 mpg highway, phenomenal for a 7000-pound 4x4 extended cab dually, and your 2500-to-be can easily add 2 mpg to that from the lighter weight.

As for 2000 model year orders, you can generally place them in late July. The dealer information usually is shipped around July 20th (orders can be taken then on a price-unseen basis), and the prices will come a few weeks later.
    kcram,
    Thankyou for your information, I really appreciate you taking the time. What is the most significant differences between these two automatic transmissions?
  • bcarwellbcarwell Member Posts: 10
    Have 7,000 miles on a quad cab sport. comes with 360 v8 and autotrans.
    The brakes seem weak. Stopping takes a lot more pedal than my other truck (1990 dodge king cab 318).
    However, the 360 is heavier than the 318. Also, the handling on the new dodge seems "mushy". My old dodge handles and stops much better.
    The dealer said "they all do that"
    Well, do they?

bob C
    bobc,
    Yes, they do. It seems to be one of the few points that need some attention. The Dodge Ram Review that I read in Edmunds Road Test mentioned that shortcoming as well.

rk
    rk,

The difference between the automatics (the Mopar 47RE and the Allison 1000) is very significant.

The 47RE currently used does not survive well behind the constant torque of a diesel, thus the Cummins is downgraded when equipped with an automatic. It can be beefed with aftermarket kits like the TST kit), but at the risk of warranty, if that concerns you - it will also shift much harder when modified.

The Allison 1000 is a medium duty automatic - the 3500's GVWR is at its lower end of the scale (10,000 to 19,500 GVWR), making it total overkill for a 2500 (8800 GVWR). Allisons are known for high strength and maximum durability, especially against a diesel. Every Greyhound bus since 1973 has used an Allison automatic. The Allison B600 can handle big rigs at full capacity (80,000 GCWR), so they know how to make a high-strength automatic. The new 1000 will be much better suited for the Cummins, and most industry watchers expect Cummins to raise the power output when both the 6 speed manual and the Allison are fully available - Cummins already makes a 250hp/520lb-ft version of the 5.9L ISB engine, so that would be a straight drop-in, and Dodge would regain the diesel power lead back from the new Navistar Powerstroke.

bobc,

The ride is softer, but equally strong. That was Dodge's intention with the new body back in 1994. They made the springs larger (bothj the front coils and rear leaves), permitting a softer spring rate with no loss in capacity. It was noted back in 1994 that the new 3500 4x4 dually rode better than the old D150 4x2. The shocks are also softer for the same reason. Most people I know with Rams swap the shocks as soon as they can - Rancho RS9000 adjustables work very well with Ram 4x4s.

As for the brakes, they have been Dodge's weak spot since 94. Performance Friction carbon pads make a big difference in stopping feel, and you absolutley MUST have the rear drums manually adjusted regularly - thet so-called automatic adjuster (braking in reverse) doesn't do much if anything, and Dodge has even re-written the owner's manual to recommend manual drum adjustments regularly through the year. Solution will be heavy duty 4 wheel discs with a proper front-to-rear proportioning valve, like the Ford Super Duty brake system.
    kcram,
    I must have misunderstood. I was under the impression that Dodge's intention would be to equip all Cummins powered 2500 and 3500 trucks with this Allison automatic in place of the 47RE. As I intent to purchase the 2500HD, the answer would be important. If it is a replacement as mentioned, and not merely an option, will it shift relatively smoothly, even though it is overrated for the 2500HD?
    rk,

Allisons are fairly smooth when not driven aggressively. When you do floor the go-pedal, they can and do snap off their shifts pretty firmly, though.

It would not be to Dodge's benefit to offer both the 47RE and the Allison 1000, because the Allison can support a non-downgraded engine. Given the scenario, which would you want to buy:

1. downgraded Cummins, 47RE 4-speed overdrive automatic
    2. full-power Cummins, Allison 5 speed overdrive automatic

Who would buy #1 if both were available simultaneously? I'd shell out the extra bucks for the Allison in an eyeblink. Has my 47RE been reasonably well-behaved? Yes it has, over 45,000 miles now. Know what I have to do to keep it that way? A FULL transmission service (fluid, filter, band adjustment, pan gasket, screen cleaning) every 12K miles, as described in the owner's manual under the heavy duty maintenance schedule. For me, that can be two of these jobs in a calendar year. By speculative comparison, an "over-rated" Allison could go the same 30-to-550K miles without service that Ford's 4R100 or GM's 4L80E can do, and would support engine tweaking without any modification.
    kcram,
    Once again, thanks. A couple of thoughts. While a lot of people equate more power = better vehicle, I'm not sure that's true for everyone in this case. (...in the context of the diesel) After pouring over 800 or so letters, many from current owners of the 24v Cummins including yourself, I have yet to hear one complaint that they needed more power. I suspect this move stems from two sources. The first being, as you said, the 47RE has had problems when used hard behind the Cummins. It stands to reason that a heavier duty transmission that is equal to the tasks of the diesel is a logical next step. The increase to "full-power", however, is pure marketing. The Ford Navistar can claim superiority in torque ( HP is equal ) and this would be an additional feather in marketings cap could they claim over 500 lbs.ft. of torque.
    I suppose, though, that with the increase to full-power, the great mileage figures that presently separates the Navistar from the Cummins will no longer be an claimable asset. As there is no free lunch, I would also guess that your over-all maintenance schedule and perhaps the life expectancy as well may change with a significant increase in torque and horsepower.
    So to answer your question quite honestly, I would welcome the change to the Allison 1000 to alleviate current 47RE problems when coupled to the Cummins, but an increase in HP and torque I find totally unnecessary, both for myself, and from an obvious lack of complaints from others who seem wholly satisfied with the current power output of their 24v diesel. I truthfully like the impressive mileage and reliability history as reported by others. That was a major factor in my decision not to go with the Navistar. In fact, in browsing through the Ford Super Duty Column, I see it is also important to others, to the point where some current Ford SD owners are advising some prospective owners to go with the Dodge/Cummins combination where the context of the inquiry has been mileage and/or reliability. Not bad, eh?

Thanks,
    rk
  • LohengrinLohengrin Member Posts: 84
    I just bought a 99 Ram 1500 Reg cab, with 5.2L engine, auto, and 4X4. I love it. It's got all the power I'll ever need. Now I knew going into it that this truck is pretty thirsty, so I'm not complaining, but I was wondering if there's anything I can do or add to improve fuel economy. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Thats what I now have. The only thing that has improved my day-to-day mileage has been the change to Mobil 1 10W30 --AFTER-- the break in period
    (so the rings seat properly ), the change to 92 Octane fuel ( the injectors will clog up later if you don't ), and leaving the OverDrive OFF when driving back and forth to work under 55 mph.
    I get 12 - 13 city, 16 - 17 on the thruway at 70-75 mph. One last thing. I keep the pressure up on the tires, as the dealers often leave them on the "low" side to impress you with the "smooth" ride.
    Works for me...

rk
    rk,

You make very good points. One thing that will always keep the fuel economy in the Dodge's favor is simple - the Cummins is WAY smaller than the Powerstroke. You're talking a 359-cubic-inch 6 cylider, versus the 444-inch V8, yet they produce comparable power.

By the way, my engine is the 12-valve Cummins, but fuel economy has been consistent since Dodge introduced the engine for 1989. If you compare trucks of comparable configuration (cab, axle ratio, transmission, 2 or 4wd), you will see a VERY consuistent fuel economy output. I have yet to hear of a Cummins-powered Ram of any year that couldn't hit 20mpg highway with a light throttle foot.
  • panmanpanman Member Posts: 25
    When I bought my 98 QC 5.9L last June, the dealer told me not to use anything but 87 octane gas. This peaked my curiosity so I looked in the owner's manual and sure enough, it said the same thing. Does anybody have any thoughts on this? I live in Kansas so maybe, rlkrueger, you live somewhere else and that makes a difference. I think the reasoning was that with a new truck you don't gain anything by using the higher octane fuel so it is wasted money. Do you see a noticable difference by using the higher octane fuel? Perhaps the dealer is trying to get future service business when my injectors clog???
  • joe01joe01 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I purchased a new 1997 Dodge ram 4X4 in October
    of 1996 and have now noticed oil accumulating in
    the radiator overflow tank. I have approximately
    44k miles and have two other co-workers who also
    own a 1997 Dodge ram truck with the same problem.
    What I am trying to find out is if anyone else has
    this problem or knows of a service recall ? This
    is my first experience with Dodge trucks and would
    like to think that I could go more than 44k miles
    without a major engine problem.
    thanks
    joe01
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    With a compression ratio of less than 9:1 the 5.9 certainly does not need premium fuel. Anything over 87 octane is a waste of money. Ask Dodge. Ask your mechanic. I have.
    rk,

Thanks for the tips.
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    joe01

sounds a lot like a blown head gasket. Better go get Mr. Dodge to fix it before something really bad goes, like major mixing of water and oil, or loss of water
    kcram,
    Could you do me a favor? I'm trying this OD OFF suggestion you gave me with my current Ram. ( I drive around town with it off anyhow ) Here is two RPM / Speed figures I wondered if you would verify with your Cummins / Auto / 3:54 and the OD OFF.
    40 mph = 1600 RPM
    50 mph = 2000 RPM

Thanks,
    rk
    almost dead on, rk :) about 50 rpm higher (~1650 and ~2050), but that small difference can be attributed to tire sizes and slippage.
  • fleetmaster1fleetmaster1 Member Posts: 18
    just got my new 99 ram 5.9 gas, in the first 200 miles i have gone from 13.9 to 14.5 mpg, this has been mostly under 50 mph, In the owners mannual it states that i need to put the padle to floor for short time, to help brake the eng. in.
    I don,t notice the tranny shifting back and forth
    with 3.54 rear end i have 265x16 tires on.

i do get alot of comments on my new solar yellow RAM Q/C 4X4

HAVE A GREAT DAY
    kcram,
    After I wrote the letter, we visited a dealer to test drive a couple, and they didn't realize they had a 3:54 in stock, so we drove it and were very pleased with the results, as you suggested I would be. We decided on the 3500/Auto/Cummins/3:54 combination and will present our offer to our first dealer on Monday. We'll see...

jcmdie,
    The original letter referenced the 5.2L, not the 5.9L. My reason for suggesting the 92 octane was to prevent injector and assorted problems from occurring due to the lower octane. I ran this engine for almost 3 years using only 92 octane, with no engine problems whatsoever. I wondered if I was wasting money in doing this, and elected to change to 87, which I ran for about a year. There was no noticable performance differences.
    After about a year, however, the engine was running rough, and starting issues surfaced. When I took it to my dealer, they cleaned the throttle bodies and told me to run injector cleaner through the system. They also said to switch to 92 octane fuel. I ran two bottles of Castle Fireball Injector Cleaner combined with a fresh tank of 92 octane fuel, and my problems went away. I have been back to 92 for 14 months now, and the engine runs beautifully. For me, this has been successful and it is the reason I suggested this to the reader.

Enjoy,
    rk
    rk,

Glad I could help - if you need any more advice or information, let me know!
  • kDUKEkkDUKEk Member Posts: 10
    Ladies and gentlemen,

I have taken it upon myself to present a brief review of the current generation full-size pickup truck offered by Dodge (1994 -).

Since its introduction as a concept vehicle in 1993, many people commented on the bold and aggressive styling of the truck. The appearance of the truck proclaimed "I'm gonna do some butt-kickin'!" I, too, was enchanted by the beauty of the Dodge Ram.

However, the awesome beauty of this truck does not do any good while it is coming down the highway on the back of a rollback (all a Chevy or a Ford). I've read many, many reports of these pickups blowing engines and transmissions in their infancy. Most of these major problems occur before the truck hits 55,000 miles!! I shall not bore you by going into intricate details of these reports (y'all know where to find them).

Dodge is next in line in the full-size pickup department to redesign the interior and exterior of the Ram. DaimlerChrysler had lost its chance to create the mechanically strong pickup to go with its aggressive looks the 1st time, something that the next generation will have that much harder to accomplish (even with a second successful, bold redesign). Looking at the 1999 Power Wagon concept, I can only shake my head in disbelief that Dodge really thinks this is the way to go for the future.

In conclusion, I pity all current Ram owners and I wish you the best of luck in your next purchase of a truck. Hopefully, you will have chosen a Chevy or, preferably, a Ford.

(Note: I impatiently await Ford's redesign as the current F-150 is ghastlier than a public outhouse.)

Thank you for your time.

Duke
    Glad you like Fords, but I know plenty of people have Dodge Rams that run reliably without problems and plenty of people that have problems with their F150. It seems to me that both companies make good trucks and how well it lasts depends primarily on how well the owner maintains it. Yes, I agree that the current model of F150s are among the ugliest vehicles on the road, which may have subconsciously influenced my decision to buy Dodge. But I'm very happy with my decision for other, more important, reasons.
    question for you, Duke:

Do you or did you own a current-generation Ram? I find my 1996 Ram 3500 as tough and reliable as the 1984 W350 at my dad's job - both start every morning and run flawlessly.
  • dodgeramdodgeram Member Posts: 202
    I think duke is a little jealous of the new rams style vs the fords!
    Duke,
    You might have more success at creating a discussion by placing this opinion in the Ford vs Dodge topic. There is more chest-thumpers in there from both camps. People here are Ram owners, or soon-to-be-owners, and they have taken the time to make the comparisons, and drive the vehicles.
    Like kcram said, invest some time and take the drive.
    If you have questions or concerns, post it here. There's a lot of people in here with the technical expertise, resources and personal experience to get you the answers you need.
  • 4myjob4myjob Member Posts: 19
    I just wanted to take the time to thank everyone for contributing to this board. I have been reading here since February and I have been very impressed with how helpful everyone has been. I have learned quite a lot and I now know that I have an honest place to turn to if and when I should have questions. In March, I ordered a 2500HD Quad 4x4 3.54 SWB with the Cummins automatic and all the bells and whistles. I picked it up Saturday and spent most of Sunday on the road with it. I must say, I LOVE IT! My last truck was a F150 4x4 with a 302 manual and an 18 gal. tank. I got tired of shifting, got tired of always stopping for gas, and got tired of hills getting in my way. That doesn't happen anymore!! I also love the fact that it turns all the guys' heads to see a lady driving that big ol' truck. Ladyblue...I really enjoyed reading about your anticipation of the arrival of your truck. I kept picturing a puppy at the door when it's excitedly waiting for its owner to return. That's called the "happy puppy butt wag" and everytime I started to feel that way, I thought of you. Happy trails everyone!
  • ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    4myjob:

Congratulations!!!

Your analogy of the "happy puppy" is right on - if I had a tail, I would have wagged it. I really love my truck, and it certainly DOES get attention; I'm the envy of all the guys at work. My 14-yr-old daughter has already decided that she will not drive anything but a truck when she gets older! She has dubbed the truck "The Stud Finder."

Good luck with your truck and keep us posted on how you like it.
    Ladyblue
    Mine has been referred to as a "cowboy magnet" and in the 'name that plate' contest that I have started, "CWBMGNT" has been suggested. I kinda like "GRLYTRK" since then folks won't assume that I borrowed my boyfriend's truck.
    What's the best highway speed for optimum gas milage with the 5.2L? Thanks.
    lohengrin:

I've got just over 2000 miles on my 5.2L 1500, and I've found that I get my best mileage at 65mph using the cruise control. Under these conditions, I can get around 16.5 mpg. Not great, but better than the crappy 11 mpg I get going back and forth to work.
    4myjob:

I solved any ownership identity problems with my F150 4x4 by putting a decal of roses along the bug shield. For my new Ram, we had a "name the truck" contest at work. The winner was "Babe, the Big Blue Ox." I'm thinking of having "Babe" painted on the bug shield of my Ram. Let people try to figure out what it means.
    i left a message in the gas page, but i see this is were all the action is. I'm just got over 300 miles on my 4x4 q/c 5.9 gas solar yellow RAM.
    The first 150 miles it was getting 13.9 mpg now i'm up 14.5. i have yet to go over 50 mph trying to brake her in right. i'm going on vac. here the first of may. i will end up going about 3000 miles. i hoping i have about a 1000 miles on her before i start the trip, i would like o change the oil at home, or will it be ok until i get back.

right now i'm only going back and forth to work and short trips to the gro. store kids would never
    go with me before, now with new RAM they are always whating to go.

GREAT TRUCK FUN TO DRIVE, AND A LOTS OF COMMENTS ON THE SOLAR YELLOW

IT DOSES SHOW THE DRIT MORE THEN I THOUGHT, NOT THAT IT'S DRITY, BUT IT DOSES RAN HERE ALOT.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
    fleetmaster:

My owner's manual recommends changing the oil at 3750 miles. Now, I know lots of folks have different opinions on when to do the first oil change, but with my mild-mannered driving habits, I plan on sticking to what the book says.

If you do have close to 1000 miles on the truck before leaving for vacation and don't want to change your oil mid-trip, then I'd say, go ahead and change it before you leave. However, if you're closer to around 500, you'll probably be alright to wait 'til you get back.

It also depends on what kind of driving you plan to do for those 3000 miles. If you're going to be putting your new baby through it's paces, then I'd recommend an oil change before you leave.

Just use your best judgment.
  • rocketjockrocketjock Member Posts: 9
    I want to thank everyone here for their informative posts and insights. I p/u my new 1500 SLT Reg. Cab SWB 5.2l/Auto in Driftwood last Monday and I am delighted so far with it. This is my first real "new car" purchase and I wanted to do it right. Got a great deal through my credit union's referral service. This baby is loaded; CD-player w/Infinity speakers, foglights, moldings, tilt/cruise, all power acc., forged alloys, premium cloth... About the only thing it dosen't have is leather (a no, no in South Texas), remote entry, and the CD changer, otherwise it's great. Put about 400 miles over the week and it runs like a champ and turns heads. On the gas issue, I am getting about 11.5 mpg in town driving and about 15-16 mpg on the open road. I almost went for the 5.9l, but since i don't plan on hauling or towing that much, the 5.2l had power to spare. The only accessories I may add are a bug shield and bed cover to reduce drag. Anyways, add me to the list of happy Ram owners and congrats to 4myjob on her rig too. Happy motoring all!
    4myjob,

Plate suggestion:
    What is a female ram?
    a "EWE"
    lohengrin,
    Depends...Unloaded and relatively flat highways, I'd agree with the 64 -66 mph range in OD. But if you're trying to squeak out a little more with the 5.2L, don't let the Cruise Control control the truck on hills.
    Due to the relatively low power and high rear-end ratio, it will switch out of OD in even moderate high-speed hills, such as Thruways and Interstate Highways. You are better off controlling the truck with the gas pedal to gradually ease off the accelerator when you see these type of hills coming up. You will gradually learn to gage the type of hill your truck will take without shifting down as you rack up some mileage. If it is legal in your state, I have found that the criteria for best engine performance with this engine is anything over 2000 rpm in OD. From 2000 and up it is developing enough horsepower to keep the truck moving with a minimum of downshifting and enough HP to negotiate most Interstate hills.
    With 70,000+ miles on mine, I've found this engine is happiest running along at 2500 - 2700 RPM.

rk
    kcram
    I like that suggestion! I've gotten over 70 so far and that is definitely in the top 10. Thanks :-)
    rk and ladyblue,

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I know what you're talking about with the cruise control on the hills and rpms. Good suggestions.

BTW, since everyone's talking about names, I call my truck Al. The last two letters on the licence plate are AL, so that's what we started calling it and the name stuck. Besides, I like Paul Simon.
    ladyblue, thanks for the comeback.

I'm getting ready to put some smittybilt nerf bars on, they say these bolt to the cab mounts,
    at firts i was going with wastin, that bolt to the frame,and less money. but no body has them in stock, but they do have the smittybilt, what do you think should i send the extra $$ 100 for the smittybilt nef bars? also thinking to put a sunvisor on, haveing a hard time about putting holes in. i also need to put a bug deflector on any good ideas on witch one?

I did have to take my SYRAM OUT ON THE HIGHWAY YESTERDAY, NO ROCK CHIPS. UP TO 14.8 MPG 350 ON TRUCK.

ROCKETJOCK:

IT "SOUNDS" OR READ LIKE you have the same setup as my SYRAM DOSE, I have the sport package, antispen read 5.9 gas, sercuty system, 8 way power seat, the only thing i left of when i order SYRAM, was the cab lights, and leather seats,
    i'm not sure that i needed all the goodies, but i been saving for the last 3 years to buy this truck with everything on it,

HAVE A GREAT DAY,

IF WE ARE PUTTING NAMES TO OUR TRUCKS, I NEED TO COME UP WITH ONE, BESIDES "SHE"
    fleetmaster:
    I haven't seen the smittybilt nerf bars, so I can't say whether or not they're worth the extra cash. I just know I love my Westins - too bad you can't find them locally. I have a bug deflector, but I couldn't find a brand name on it. I think the sun visor would look cool, if you're comfortable with how it's installed.

BTW, you could name your solar yellow Ram "Sunny." Not very imaginative, I admit, but appropriate.
  • gashoggashog Member Posts: 10
    Hi Everyone,
    New member to this BB from Southern CA, San Bernardino area. Began by reading one or two posts but Ladyblue, your posts made me read all the way to finish line. Great story and nice touch adding pictures. Will brag about my Dodge Ram if I hear back from RUZ.....

To RUZ:
    I tried to post a message yesterday. Wrote the message and then hit SPELLCHECK and entire message went away. Spellcheck shoudn't delete the entire message to punish me for spelling a word wrong.
    What do you think happened??????
    GASHOG
    Hi gashog,

Ruz is no longer with Town Hall, and the current host (Front Porch Philosopher) tends to have her hands full between here and the SUV conference, so I'll try to give you a hand.

When you want to post a note and spellcheck it, don't highlight it with the cursor. Type your note, click "spellcheck" and whatever words are thought to be misspelled will be noted on the screen. repair them in the typing box at the bottom of the spellcheck screen. If you are satisfied, click "post" from the spellcheck screen. If not, click "spellcheck" again and repeat the process.

kcram
    Community Leader/Smart Shopper Conference
    (and a satisfied Ram owner, hence the name)
    gashog:

Welcome! Stick around, there's more fun to come.

You may have lost your posting during spellcheck if, after you spellchecked it, you accidently hit "return to topic list" instead of "post." I did this once, forgetting to scroll back down to hit "post."
  • gashoggashog Member Posts: 10
    Thanks all for info on Posting message(s).
    Got my 99 Ram 4X4 1500 SLT Laramie SWB QC w/5.9L V8 auto and 3.55 gears in January. It's black all over (except front chrome) and boy does it sparkle in the sunlight. My wife and I have talked about getting a REAL truck ever since my old Toyota P/U was wrecked several years ago. Got the Dodge on a Sunday evening and when I got home my wife said she just could never drive something that high off the ground. Well on Monday, I was sick and the other car was sick so my Honey (all 5 feet of her) had to drive the new Dodge. When she got home she says "It's wonderful - I can see everywhere and it drives so easy. You wouldn't believe how many people were looking at me." I know they were looking at the truck but didn't let on.
    The following weekend I took it off road in the snow and got sideways a few times -- What a RUSH!!

Unfortunately I also got a few light scratches down one side. If anyone has suggestions about getting scratches out, I sure would like to know.

I notice on this BB that gas milage is a big concern for many. Me too. I found out that the Air Condition is operating when the selector switch is in the position where two arrows point to the seated person. This sw. position does not have the A/C symbol but A/C is active here. This can drag the milage down a little if you don't know that A/C is on.
    Truck has 4K miles now and milage is still 10-11 on 200 mile trip on the freeway. Not as good as others have reported. I usually use a light foot on the gas.
    Gotta get back to work--
    GASHOG
This discussion has been closed.