Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G6

Comments

• regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    G6 is a snoozer too :)
  • tsxtsx Member Posts: 32
    I've just attended a GM Auto Dealer Auto Show, they had all the latest production model presentations. There is lot of excellent product coming through... If you think the new Accord, Camry are hot wait until GM's midsize comes through!!

The Pontiac G6 is to offer two introduction engines, a 2.4L I4-Cylinder and a 3.9V6 Model. The Actual Production model is very close to the concept - slight difference to the fron fascia, which in my opinion looks alot better.

Also had a chance to see the 2005 Buick Midsize LaCross, but in Canada it will be under a different name. Long Story Short Description...
    Simply put the current GS300 and Buick Grill and you've got a new midsize. Very Attractive and an amazing Interior, finished in High Quality Fit & Finish.

There is also a Pontiac Roadster for the 2005 Year. Bob Lutz is putting that car into production! I will keep you guys posted.
  • breetai52breetai52 Member Posts: 91
    Are you in the position to confirm or deny the AWD rumors? Any news on the convertible G6?
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    Could you tell us more about the G6, like wheel size, ground clearance, etc.? I don't think the spy shots do it justice.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Did you get to see the interior? Hopefully it is more GTO in style than GP/Bonnie/current Grand Am and has no white on gray buttons.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Thanks for the post. I'm surprised to hear the 2.4L is already a done deal. I had heard it would be all V6 to start. With 170 hp, I can see the 2.4 G6 being the big seller.
    Hey who called it? ;) I now deserve my second cookie. They'll probably bump it up to 175 or 180 to differentiate it from the Cobalt. Heh that's the same as the current V6.
  • tsxtsx Member Posts: 32
    Guys, I'm not allowed to get too specific but this what I know so far..

The Model shown was the high-end class, It was equipped with 17 inch wheels. There was no fact sheet given out, just Video Presentation with Model Shown. The Fron kinda reminds you of the new Altima with the Pontiac Grill, cuz it does have clear head lamps. Again Guys, very very close to the concept model. The GM Sales Division said specifically several times, they are going after Honda & Toyota. It's all about Quality and Reliability with overall satisfied customers.

The interior is nothing like the new Grand Prix - I think GM's new Road to Quality begins in 05 Model year. G6 has a much cleaner styling, No open Gaps - Closed finishes.
    The first will be 4Dr Sedan followed by a coupe and convertible for 2006, same goes for 2005 Sunfire replacement.

GM is really making the changes to set each brand apart from Pontiac to Chevrolet Models. They also mentioned that 2004.5 Grand Prix is getting some minor changes to enhance the quality. I think what it needs is the new 3.6-Litre V6 from the SRX!!

There is another show being held to display the upcoming minivans from GM.
    I'll definitely pay a GP GTP price for a smaller more premium finished vehicle (like a TSX). If it has a stick shift by 06 it'll be on my short list.
    theo : You called it, no doubt. It's obviously a change brought on by the development of the 2.4L. I could not see Pontiac putting the 2.2L in a performance oriented sedan.

tsx : Any mention of the specific changes / enhancements to the Grand Prix?
    "They also mentioned that 2004.5 Grand Prix is getting some minor changes to enhance the quality. I think what it needs is the new 3.6-Litre V6 from the SRX!!"

Amen to that. At least as an option. Would really be a nice and welcome upgrade over the base plant.
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    I doubt that the Grand Prix will get the 3.6L DOHC, but Automotive News reported that Bob Lutz said that it will get a V8 - probably the 4.8L OHV - in a few years.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    if GM want to make the Grand Prix available with a V6, an OHV won't uphold well in this competitive class of smooth-running DOHC engines. if GM actually decides to put a SMOOTH V8 in the Grand Prix, it would most likely be the Northstar V8, but then where would that leave the Bonneville??? forget the V8 in the Grand Prix, go with the new Shortstar 3.6L V6 in the CTS!!!
    I see the new 3.9L going into the GP GT model with a supercharger as a GTP option. Makes sense with the G6 getting the 3.9 as the upgrade power plant.
    GM whines about 'spending too much on engines' or them being too costly but go to great lengths to make a zillion different engines when if they would make one decent v6 or variations of and stuff it in most of their cars (like Nissan, Toyota, and Honda do) then they wouldn't have all the wasted expense of designing, redesigning, tooling for etc. all these 70% motors.

GM spent a buttload of dough to design and build a global v6 engine family based upon DOHC architecture and *&()*&) in detroit refuse to jump on the bandwagon and spread the wealth and take advantage of the economies of scale. INSANE.
    Actually, I think the 3.9 is a replacement for the 3.8. The new 3.5 is a replacement for the 3.4 and the 3.1 is almost phased out. GM is in transition so it seem like there are a lot of engines. On the 4 banger side there is just a 2.2 and 2.4 Ecotec which are global anyway.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    Don't like push rods, then don't buy them. Why lose sleep, post a ba-zillion messages, and get all hot under the collar???
  • z9z9z9z9z9z9z9z9 Member Posts: 101
    V8 GP: Pontiac showed (or announced?) a Grand Prix "Autocross" at SEMA with a 5.3 Liter V8.

Also of interest, this CTS-V review reports that the pushrod Corvette LS-6 engine "feels as sophisticated as some of the competition's double overhead cam designs" in the CTS-V.

http://edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/firstdrive/100615/article.ht- ml

Back to the V8 GP, I'd be more concerned what a V8 hanging over the front wheels in a FWD car would do to the handling than the valvetrain...
    is .1 more liters in their "new engines" going to make a big difference??, even though it did make a 30HP improvement in the 3.5L over the 3.4L..
    Apparently the 3.9L puts out about 245hp vs 200-205 for the 3.8.

.01 L plus some other improvements seem to have done a good job on the 3.5L, why not the 3.9L? I think GM did a great job with the 3.5L.
    Once the three-valve technology comes out, coupled with VVT, the HV 3900 should make about 270 HP.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    there is a lot more new in the 3.9 than the additional .01 litres.
    Isn't technology great? The Bonny GXP has the 270 HP Northstar as their $35,000 flagship, yet in two years or so it's little cousin will have as much power in a V6. Well actually GM should be there already, but they deserve some credit.
    Is based on the 3.5L not the 3800.
    Interesting, didn't know that. Regardless, I believe the 3.5 and 3.9L will spell the end for the 3.8L in a couple of years.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Does anyone know what month we can expect to actually see these on dealer lots?
    They are coming out in September/October next year, but they will launch with the 3500. The 3900 engine plant is still being retooled.
    Where did you read that? I saw the 3900 was to be in it at launch.

Do you work for GM or something?
    That would be unfortunate but not too surprising given GM's past launches lacking in power or trannies in their first year. That won't touch an Altima etc unless forced induction is there.
  • vpp6vpp6 Member Posts: 14
    I have had my Grand Am since '88 although many problems with computer chips etc I stil like the old car so I want to replace it with the G6 next POctober! I have a GM Card and I should have a cool $3g at that time! I want to know what you guys think of buying a first model yr nowadays and if you think the car will actually come in some cool colors although i like that gray concept color a lot! Thanks!f
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    There will be teething problems. I bought one of the first year MkIV Jettas, and suffered too many failures to list. Nearly all of them were corrected in later models. I now have a 2002 Altima (also a first year), and besides the recalls, the only problem is a weak heater, also corrected in the 2003 models. As I recall, the first year Malibus were very problematic. Too soon to tell about the new 2004 model. I'd wait.
  • tgp1810tgp1810 Member Posts: 112
    I don't know about waiting - if you really want to get the car get it. GM has had some pretty good launches on their recient cars.
    Last 2 launches at GM (Malibu and Grand Prix) have both gone very well. Contrast that with the new Accord which seems to have lots of little issues and rattles. That all said, there is always a chance you take when you buy a new model from any maker.
  • tgp1810tgp1810 Member Posts: 112
    You can probably add the Caddy CTS to that list too.
    I do not see many cars that knock me out that is why I still have the old Grand Am! This G6 could be the ticket! I do like the Mazda 6 a lot though!! Where is a good place to see what recalls most new cars are having? On the internet? Also, how do you know when things get fixed such as in the new Altima's heater? I will be able to see this G6 at the Philly Car Show I guess in January.
    CTS was also a great launch but it's also a luxury car and I was just comparing other GM sedans. ION launch has also gone just fine.
    actually, the ION launch has gone kinda off. GM was expecting a happier beginning with more sales, but due to bad reviews and last place in comparisons the ION sedan and coupe have kinda been suffering. luckily, the ION Red Line is coming out which should help it a lot! im really excited on seeing a 200+HP coupe for less than 20K!!!
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Coupe.

Why do they always think people who want hot small cars do NOT want four doors.

I would have had a VW GLH years ago had it come in the 4 door.

Stereotypes. And not even true ones.
    Oh I know sales are slow but the car itself seems to have few reported issues with owners.
    For a car that was rushed to market (obvious in its styling deficiencies in and out compared to the Astra and probably Cobalt too), it has done quite well in the reliability front from what I've heard.
    you and I must think similarly.....A nice, good driving, tasteful 4 door sedan/hatch/wagon with some utility that doesn't look bland

something with some 'verve' and function
    I read so many things about the back seat view of the new Grand Prix how bad it is and from what the concept pixs look like the G6 might even be worse. I have two little girls and I would hate for them to complain about that all the time. Anybody know if this car is going to be kid fun and comfortable?! Thanks!
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    Usually only happens for the person in the driver's seat. Add a DVD player and they won't complain about the view!
  • z9z9z9z9z9z9z9z9 Member Posts: 101
    I expect the back seat will be similar to the '04 Malibu (same platform as the G6), so it should be better than the GP, not worse. The new GP really does have a wretched back seat.

If you're interested in the G6, I recommend taking a '04 Malibu for a test drive. It drives a lot better than a typical GM FWD car, and the build quality is impressive. Pontiac may find it difficult to move GPs off the lot once the G6 is out.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    "Pontiac may find it difficult to move GPs off the lot once the G6 is out.'

True, they may have to update it sooner, or replace it and the Bonnevile with a new RWD car.
    Yeah the DVD thing wil ldo the trick for the young ones! In regards to the Malibu yeah I drove it right when it came out and it seemed very nice for sure. It was quick atleast compared to my old '89 Grand Am and '93 Camry 4 bangers! I was also thinking nobody wil lbuy the Grand Prix once this sweet thing comes out. I like the new Grand Prix and it was awfully fun to take out too but the rear lights should be fixed and that lousy red design on the cloth seats!
    Apparently dealers have been informed the timeline and some other info on the g6.

Powertrains:
    2.4L DOHC, 175 hp/170 lb-ft torque (available JUNE 05)
    3.5L OHV V6, 200 hp/ 220 lb-ft torque (availble AUGUST 2004)
    3.9L OHV V6, 245 hp/ 245 lb-ft torque (available APRIL 2005)

Transmissions:
    4-speed automatic
    4-speed automatic with manual shift mode
    6-speed manual (LATE AVAILABILITY)

Wheels:
    Standard 16-inch (G6)
    17" V-rated tires (GT, GTP)
    18" available V-rated tires (GTP)
    So just the 3.5L for launch then. Too bad, but not surprising. They should have the 2.4L for launch also.
    the lack of ONE optional high feature v6 is disappointing. Can't use the 'value' reason, that's what Chevy is for.

I just don't think performance types will be looking at this car unfortunately.
    Not till the 3.9 comes on line.