Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G6

Comments

• vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    the 3-valve/cylinder versions of the OHV's will make it atleast before the model's lifespan is over.
    Whats the weight of the Bu? 240hp/240lb ft would be very nice if the vehicle weight is kept at or under 3300 lbs, and if it gets the same mileage as the 3.5L does currently because of DOD and drinks regular fuel. I don't want thirsty premium fuel Nissan VQ like mileage numbers. And I do want an interior better than this (definitely not asking much since the only think I like is the steering wheel):
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    3.9 is pushrods.....perf types want the 3.6 or a version of it....
    Has been done about a gazillion times already and I've given up on it. No 3.6 for pontiac or chevy for the forseable future. If the 3.9L gets 260+hp when it goes to 3 valves/cylinder, it will most likely be quicker than the 3.6L because of torque, and more fuel efficient.

Anyways, I read somewhere the altima 4-banger is 90% of Altima sales, so GM may not be too concerned with matching the Altima v6.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    ..."cheap" interior and all. And the drivetrain is more refined than any pushrod engine.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    and will have the same hp with a better looking car around it.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    corvette : I dunno, I've driven a 4 cyl Altima and it's good but I'd take the new 3.5L push rod V6 over it any day.

vcjumper : You are right. GM seems to be going all DOHC 4 bangers (2.2 and 2.4) and OHV for the 6's (3.5 and 3.9 eventually) in all Chevrolets and Pontiacs. It will be interesting to see what they put in the LaCross. My guess is it will get the 3.6L DOHC.
    "Pontiac will retire an old warrior, too, as the Grand Am gives way to the G6, also with an all-wheel-drive option. Sedan and coupe body styles of the G6 are on tap for the Detroit show, as showcased in the Detroit Free Press (December 4) and the sponsor Detroit Auto Dealers Association press releases."

all wheel drive?
  • breetai52breetai52 Member Posts: 91
    That's been rumored from the beginning...

I think the last GP concept had AWD, but the production car didn't. As a New Englander (who just got 30" of snow), I'll believe it when I see it.
    AWD system from sister Subaru would be cool!
    AWD would be a nice "differentiator", especially up here in the north east were subaru does so well and pontiac, well, not so much.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    The Eplsilon platform is do-able with AWD. Is the Saab 93 available with it?
    But Saab is talking about a 9-3 varient with AWD as well. This appears to be something a number of GM engineers are working on.
    Nice to hear its "do-able". Let's hope it becomes a reality.
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    Do any Pontiac owners here get the Pontiac Performance newsletter? In the Fall 2003 issue there is a teaser photo of the G6.
    are those chrome inserts surrounding the pontiac kidneys? a la BMW?
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    the gap between the hood and the front fascia (above the grill) look way too small for a Pontiac :)
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    The quad headlight inserts look roundish as well. With Bangle bungling BMW's designs, perhaps they can look to Pontiac for an example of the direction they should have gone.
    So true.. sometimes when I see Sunfires I think they have popped the hood because it looks like I could put my hand thru and raise it no problem.
    Sweet pix!!!!!!
    Believe it! Take a look at the G6's older cousins. The 9-3 and Malibu are both tight as drums.

Thanks for the pix Theo. Man, I wish it was RWD.
    RWD would be nice but FWD is better in the snow and I would prefer an AWD drive version for those who want it. We shall see, but it's certainly going to be more exciting than the Malibu.
    The G6 will be a good looking car. And frankly, I can live with FWD for my sedan. Maybe I can convince a Pontiac dealer to give me a discount if I buy the G6 and the Solstice.
  • z9z9z9z9z9z9z9z9 Member Posts: 101
    > the gap between the hood and the front fascia
    > (above the grill) look way too small for a Pontiac :)

I haven't seen the picture, but it's probably been altered. A lot of car brochures are.

If you look at the 2004 Toyota Solara brochure, for example, it has pictures of cars with panel gaps between the doors so small that the doors probably don't even open. Or check out the Chevy add with the guy measuring the hood/fender gap on a new Malibu. The '04 Malibus _are_ a lot better than the average car (based on the six or so that I've seen), but they're no where near as good in reality as in the fantasy wonderland that the Chevy marketing department has fabricated.
  • vpp6vpp6 Member Posts: 14
    These pixs look really awesome! Why is the pix already gone from this site?! Man, it looks pretty close to the concept atleast the front end!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Since those photos belong to someone else, that person or website holds the copyright. We can't have the photos posted on our site without their permission!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    The G6 sounds fairly promising, fairly. I like the option of having a 3.9L V6, but its takes .4 more liters to make as much as an Altima and Accord. Styling looks great and sporty, but having only a 4-speed automatic transmission won't help. Plus, you can probably conclude that it will have quality glitches inside. Hopefully, GM will eventually use the 3.6L V6 in some Pontiac cars like the Grand Prix.
    the accord is a 3.0 litre.

the picture hinted at a very angular looking car like the malibu. the G6 concept had flowing lines, not angular lines.
    The teaser has the EXACT same lines as the concept. Unless I am missing something. All we are seeing is the front quarter, right? This part of the teaser is just like the concept. The only difference is the grill.

Now, that being said... You really can't tell jack from that picture.
    There are rumors a 5-speed or 6-speed manual may be to follow.
    confirmed. But I no longer have the article I saw that in.
    There are alot of rumored options on the new G6. I wonder how high a fully loaded G6 will run?

AWD
    3.9L 3 valve/cyl DOD
    6-spd
    Leather
    Convertible
    etc...

All that being said, I just love the idea of an AWD convertible. It sounds contradictory, but there are alot of people at my company (in New England) who own convertibles for the summer and beaters for the winter. Itd be nice to be able to drive the same car all year round.

I think the A4 might be the only alternative and according to Edmunds you have to get the 3L which starts at 44k.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    thanks for telling me that the Accord is 3.0L. Still!! wow, .9L more to make about the same horsepower rating. Hmm, kinda odd, but then again its a pushrod so it makes sense. Why doesn't GM stop making these "NEW" engines and just replace them with a 3.5L DOHC V6 with VVT?? They make enough money!! Oh well, they don't listen...

And where are these pictures everyone's talking about of the G6?? I haven't been able to find any except for the camouflage ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    thanks for telling me that the Accord is 3.0L. Still!! wow, .9L more to make about the same horsepower rating. Hmm, kinda odd, but then again its a pushrod so it makes sense. Why doesn't GM stop making these "NEW" engines and just replace them with a 3.5L DOHC V6 with VVT??

OHV engines are a smaller package in terms of dimensions. Mesauring "efficiency" in terms of hp/L is not a very accurate measurement. The new 3900s have VVT, by the way.
    The 3.5 DOHC had emission problems, was more expensive to make, made only 15 more HP and 10 more Torque than the 3.5 in the malibu and got worse mileage.

The 3.9 will make better HP and Torque, cost less to make and probably get about the same mileage. They claim they can get 30 more HP out of it by just adding 3 valves.

Also the 3.5 probably took up as much space and weigh as mcuh as the 3.9 will.
    I think the pictures were removed from Edmunds for legitimate copyright violation fears. If you go to one of the less responsible sites, such as cheersandgears, you will probably find them still posted.
    Also, the torque (which is what really matters) from the 3.9L is bound to be lots more than from the Honda 3.0L. The more I read about this next generation engines, the more I'm convinced that GM has not made a bad decision by continuing with OHV technology. Lots of power/torque, excellent (even better) efficiency, smooth and cheaper maintainence.
    Too bad its a year and a half away.
    Sounds like the g6 will be competition for the WRX and Legacy if it goes AWD. Should be priced between the WRX and Legacy.
  • speeds2muchspeeds2much Member Posts: 164
    The purpose of this thread is to discuss the upcoming Pontiac G6, which is scheduled for rollout in Fall 2004. The car will offer cutting-edge styling, all-wheel-drive and a supercharged engine.

What are your impressions of the concept vehicle so far? How many are considering the purchase of this car?

I think it looks excellent and speaks well for the future of GM under Bob Lutz.
    oil changes all cost the same
    tranny flushes do
    coolant flushes do
    plugs do
    how do you figure because its an OHV it's automatically cheaper to maintain?

no proof

most OHC's have chain cams now so you can't use that as an excuse.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    I think, Reg, he probably meant cheaper repair costs. Not maintenance. Repair costs. Which is true, provided either engine needs repair. A rare enough event these days...
    Long term repairs are cheaper and if you have a timing belt you know that service is around the corner (V6 Accords still have them for example). The oil changes on the Ecotec are $2 more also because of the filter used, not sure which other cars that might be the case for though.
    still have service centers? Still see many the garage that claim to specialize in Honda and Toyota maintenance around town.

It makes much more sense to use synth oil the higher the revving engine.

O2 sensors tend to go out faster on higher revving engines, as do the catalytic converter.

I thought at least one of the CamCords still uses timing belts. With all the new models coming out at once, I may have missed an upgrade.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    Hondas do fall apart and die, just go to any junk yard. It's that they do so when people are ready for a new car, that is their "big secret".

G6 may not offer AWD right away, but isn't a DOHC going to be offered eventually?
    I suspect the hard top convertible will get the 3.6 from Caddy, as I cannot see Pontiac offering a hard top convertible for under 30k.
    Is this going to be like the XLR hardtop? Or is it going to be one of those "snap-on" deals?
    an XLR like hard top.

Probably the G6 would have to use the less expensive version that Peugeot is using. It takes a little longer to open and close and does not quite match the seamless appearance as the top on the Benz and XLR, but it is a true retractable hard top none the less.
    Yeah thats pretty sweet.
  • vpp6vpp6 Member Posts: 14
    Hey that is a good name! I do plan on getting a G6! So far I like what I see and hear a lot! I have a GM Card with $2500 free dollars right now and by the time I grab a G6 I will have over $3k! SO I will not consider a Mazda 6 or Camry, the only cars I like right now. I think the G6 will be a big step for GM! I do not know much about engines and so on but I do like to drive fast! It seems like the Malibu is quick enough already and this 3.9 worries me being so new...
    I tested a Malibu LS today and it was a solid ride all around and handled better than expected. With a sportier suspension I suspect the G6 will be a nice really fun car and well made if the Bu is any indication.

Is the G6 coming from Kansas also?