Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G6

Comments

• bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    So, say I am on a 39 month lease for a G6, and I begin to have issues with this.... What in the world am I supposed to do about it? I am under contract, but they are certainly not going to force me to drive a car that cannot be fixed are they? I would assume they would present a few options, get it fixed or attempt, and when at some point would they say that I am able to walk away from it without penalty? I cannot sell it, no one will want such car. I am not having problems, but seeing this has me some what concerned. Hopefully, I can avoid all of this, and if I do experience it, hope they will treat me well. It must be very hit and miss. More than likely they would try to keep me in the GM company, though, if I had my choice, I would be in an Acura/Honda, but I am really liking my G6 so far. Its only a lease.
    Hello,

I have the 4cyl, and don't have the sport shift option, (which is kinda dumb,lol) and I have been using the D3 gearing to give me more torque when accelerating, it works pretty well, but I am wondering if it will hurt anything, by doing this. It still shifts, but it has more torque and makes the engine more tightly wound, which I like. I see no reason why the would not offer a sport shift on the 4cyl, that would only make sense, therefore making the 4cyl a more sporty option, besides, if you look at the auto market today, you will see that about every car has this option, which I think is going to become standard. Even the Hyundai Sonata has this 5spd shift option on it. It was wonderful, Now it certainly does not replace an actual manual transmission, but they are getting pretty advanced in how they make these automatic shift gates. VW has gotten really advanced with the Sport DSG 6spd option. Even sports cars are getting these over a manual. Some cars are coming with steering wheel control shifts. I almost bought a passat with this option.

I like to every now and then use the D3 option to rev the engine up, but does this hurt anything??
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    So, say I am on a 39 month lease for a G6, and I begin to have issues with this.... What in the world am I supposed to do about it? I am under contract, but they are certainly not going to force me to drive a car that cannot be fixed are they?
    No, They won't force you to drive it...but, they will force you to continue your lease payments. The leasing entity will not accept that the car can't be fixed...simple as that.
    Well, I will not allow that to happen, as I went through a huge situation, and ended up with this car. Its a long story, but I came from an 06 Accord, and miss it!

But, on the other hand, the G6 offer so many options that can be compared to the $30k Passat I test drove. It has the same type of features, and the G6 might have a few more options. I have the fully loaded G6, except for the V6. I am quite impressed.

OnStar- Is wonderful, I just bought the 3 month Unlimited turn my turn navigation, and it is awesome! I found out that if I am on a trip and need a hotel, they will call a hotel for me and reserve a room for me!! How cool!! Also, if I am looking for a place, need a business phone number, that is crazy! That alone, makes it very nice.

But, There are a few things I wished they had done though,

*Make the dash lighted at all times! (the circle tach, sped could also be gone, with a black and lit up display like the Accords. More Updated) This area has a glare on it, and looks pretty dark during the day, If it were back lit all the time, it would look a world better during the day.

Move the information center in the radio to the center, between the Tach, Sped.

5 speed Transmission with 5pd shiftronic 4cyl. They also need to work on the 4cyl, transmission, to get it more refined, though I only have 3,500 miles on mine, but it is not as refined as the 06 Accord I drove, but I am still quite impressed on how powerful the engine is.

Other than those few quirks, I am very impressed with the car. So many features, great bang for the buck. For me, will I be back to Honda, Acura, or VW... Probably. I am a Honda guy though. Though if someone offered me to trade for their G8, I would do it in a heart beat. The G8, is where the next design concept needs to come from when making pontiacs!

So far so good! The G6 must be doing really well, since it has a 9.0 review rating, and even the Accord only has a 8.7 rating.

For those who want to know, the Saturn Aura makes Chome wheel covers, and they will fit the G6 with 17' wheel covers. They are about $340 for the whole set! They look great!! Nothing like a wheel cover!
  • megmorrr1984megmorrr1984 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Steven39. This is just a big mess, my car is not under warranty anymore, it has 44,000 miles on it and my warranty ended at 36,000. Im just glad to know that it isnt my car and that i am not just "hearing things" as i have been told.
  • seppi1seppi1 Member Posts: 1
    What was that clunk problem when you were turning left ? Did they give you an answer ...

Thanks Seppi1 :confuse:
    Well this forum is really busy...lol Nothing exciting about the G6?

I have been spending most of my time in the Accord forums...
  • selmasmithselmasmith Member Posts: 8
    I never got an answer about the 'clunk' problem when turning left.

However, they said the steering column was cracked and needed replaced and ...
    the "gear Assembly" or something like that also had to be replaced (it is on the rod that connects the 2 front tires.

It is much less, but, I can still feel it at unexpected times, always when turning left.

I complained at the dealer again. They 'tightened' things up in the front end.

I don't hear/feel the problem for the moment.

However, it always comes back.
  • selmasmithselmasmith Member Posts: 8
    I have had a clunking noise WHEN TURNING LEFT for over a year now. (I will have to look up the mileage.)
    They put on a new steering wheel shaft + replaced the gear assembly.

The intensity of problem died down. But, the noise re-appears suddenly for no reason when turning left. (Usually after I slow down to a near stop and then step on gas while turning left.

It sounds so mysterious. But, it really worries me.

Especially since I talked to a man who had a G6. He had a lawyer suing GM because of steering problems.

My car starts up ok. Although I had to have it towed once, when it would not start because of a blown fuse. 2006 G6 Standard
    I am taking my 08 G6 on its first road trip tomorrow! I will be traveling about 14hours to Florida, this will put about 2,400 miles on it. This will really give me an even better impression, so far the engine is continuing to break in, and get smoother. Having only 4,000 miles on it, it was pretty rough when I got it new. But, seems to be going through the gearing better. I have my Onstar, XM all activated and ready to go, so I will let you know what I think when I return.
    I am still questioning though, whether GM can even measure up to other brands, like Honda.I am not liking what I am hearing about the G6.
  • purd8445purd8445 Member Posts: 3
    I have an '05 G6 with about 32,000 miles. I took the car in to get an inspection and came across some problems. I was first told that the car had to get the inner tire rod replaced which after an alignment would cost about $300. Later I found out that the steering gear needs to be replaced for about $600 (which includes a new inner tire rod). The mechanic told me that it is unusual to replace the steering gear in a car with such few miles. The car is under the 36,000 miles for the factory warrenty but I bought the car over three years ago so the warrenty has expired. Has another owner of a G6 had a similar problem? I am wondering if it is a problem with the manufacturing of the car and a few years down the road I will receive a letter from GM about replacing the part.
  • catiger1catiger1 Member Posts: 9
    I bought my Pontiac g6 GTP coupe in April 2005. Its been to the dealership for many issues. I had the rotors turned at 24k and then at 35k they had to replace the front ones at the same time they replaced the front brake pads. Before the rotor problem i had front end noises and they replaced a tierod that they felt was a little loose. they also put pading on the firewall behind the steering tubes because that was causing a noise. the front end noise did not go away and then they replaced the right end strut.
    i also had them repair the side handles on the seats because they kept falling off. I had put in a complaint to gm and were very curtious and pd for the replacement of the rotors. everything else so far was under warranty. what happens is gm keeps cutting cost on their suppliers and in turn put cheaper parts on cars but we as consumers pay higher prices for junk. they dont make cars like they used to.
    i have always been a gm fan but im sorry to say my next car may be foreign@!
    oh and by the way, i currently have 41k mi and my break lights are messed up, when i brake they go off and when i let off the brake they go on, so, back to the dealership- they know me well there!
  • twarntwarn Member Posts: 3
    Have just gone through the same problem...after 5 trips...it was the brake bulbs that needed to be replced. Some of the bulbs have a faulty filliment and it causes the sensors to really screw up...
    I went through them replacing the cruise control, sensors, etc and it was simply that...so make them start there!!!!
    Anybody had a problem with them hanging down off the folding panels themsevles? Mine just did?
  • maronamarona Member Posts: 10
    When my brake light went out and needed replaced, the dealership told me that there can be no contact with the bulb with your hands - have to wear rubber gloves. The oils from our fingers will cause it to short out at and have to be replaced again. Never heard of that before, but did as they said. Just a tidbit of information.
  • ecdebecdeb Member Posts: 4
    A 'clunk' is a great way to describe it!

I have an 07 G6 that I bought Labor Day weekend 2006. I love the car, have not had any problems (knock on wood) - but recently started feeling a 'thud' when turning at slow speeds...and it is probably the same thing as the 'clunk' you are describing. I need to take it in to get it checked - especially since I have some traveling to do in the next month - but thought I would try to search online to find out what it might be and if anyone else had experienced this....which I now have.

Times are tight - not that this is an excuse to postpone taking it in - but was the work they did to try correct the problem covered under the warrenty?
  • mfiscmfisc Member Posts: 4
    Selma Smith --

How many miles do you have on your 07? My car has almost 29K (so far so good). You don't see many 07 complaints here so I am just curious. Thanks!
    Yes, just about everything was under warranty, except for the rotors since they consider that wear and tear, but I had put a case into gm for those and they did honor it. good thing, now i have a brake sensor issue and my warranty is out. I and contemplating trading it in but despite the issues i have with it, i love the car.
    Yeah, the first year they came out with the G6 was the 06. So i learned to never get a new series of a vehicle!
    Thank you very much for the tip, so far they just recalibrated the brake sensor in hopes that took care of it, now its at the dealership but they havent done anything else to it, they were goin to change the sensor next witch is expensive and my warranty is out!
    I will have them check bulbs first!
    You should bring it to the dealer, there is a bulletin for the power steering lines ratteling against the firewall and they put an absorber to stop that. Also, the struts break in and the inside tube clunks around and makes noises, i had that problem and they changed the strut, its still makes a little noise but not as bad.
    How did you "put a case in?" I am having an issue with my sunshade I would like to submit.
    Terri
    I have just over 35k on mine....a lot of highway driving
    Thats good to know that the work was covered by the warranty (except rotors). Sometimes it so confusing to understand what is and isn't covered by warranties!
    Good luck with the brake light sensor.
    I emailed GM and they replied to me the next day! If you had a lot of problems then just let them know how dissappointed you are. When you buy a vehicle brand new you expect to not have issues, that is why u buy new right? when I emailed them they called me and put in a case and hey are usually willing to work with you so try that! good luck.
    Thanks, i guess the sensor is only $20bucks, and then labor, so it wont be bad
    whew!!
  • lite0050lite0050 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I see there are a lot of problems with the G6. I bought one a 08 in July. I drove the car at varies dealers before I bought it. About 3 wks. later my toe, knee and leg started to hurt.i AM 4'11" The one I have is a standard car, no options.The angle of the drivers seat is straight up, putting presser on my leg.I have never seen anything like this before in my life. After I drive the car a short distance I have to put ice or hot water on my foot, my leg has gone numb 2.I have talked to customer service and got no where and gone back to the dealer. Their answer for me is to upgrade 13k more dollars. I don't have.Does anyone have any ideas about what else I could do? Yes the dealer told me to buy a pillar, I have three of them and that angle is still there. They need to make the 6 way seat a standard.
    FYI:

Anyone with an 2008 G6 with the 5 spoke wheel covers, can use the Saturn Aura Chrome covers they offer. Also, you may use the Chrome 5 spoke covers from the new 08 malibu as well. This will give you a few options without dumping alot of money into the wheels. I am going to buy the Saturn Aura chrome rims, because they look more substantial than the malibu, though both look great, and look like real rims.

You can buy these covers for about $340 for all 4 covers. You would need to go to your Saturn or Malibu dealer to order, then have them installed.

I am sure some of you guys did not know that the 5 spoke rims on your G6 are wheel covers, not actual rims. I am not talking about the base G6, but the trim up from that. The V6 trim has "real" rims. I found this out, after I bought it. Its okay, they look good, but I want chrome to go along with my salsa red paint.

You'll notice, Malibu, and the Aura share the same wheels, and sometimes even the same tire. Mine are the Hankook Optimo.

Hope this helps anyone wanting a unique, yet classy look for their G6.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    They need to make the 6 way seat a standard.

and the next guy will say to make something else standard and the next guy something else and all of a sudden you have added $1300 to the car.

Hopefully you meant $1300, not $13,000.

Also isn't the seat back tiltable? You said the seat was straight up. What the heck does that mean?

What exactly do you want the seat to do? The front of the bottom cushion higher or lower?
  • tracynctracync Member Posts: 1
    Frustrated ! When I start my G6 there is a rattling noise, like something is loose under the hood . Now my breaks are squeaking. I have taken this car in 3 times for this problem and they think I am just making it up ... They cannot find anything wrong. At this point I do not know what to do ! I have had this car for 3 months. Any suggestions or has anyone had the same problems ???
    Try another dealer.
    Yes, try another dealer, because some dealers don't exactly do their job! Sometimes it can make a night and day difference in the results. You should not have to live with that. You bought a new car, therefore you should get new. You may need to contact Pontiac directly and start a case, that way they will be in touch with your dealer of your choice, Keep your case simple, state only the facts, and hold your ground that you do not have to absorb this as this is all under warranty and is a flaw.

Sounds like many are having problems, I have an 08 G6 too, but in about a year, I plan to trade for a Honda/Acura/VW.
    I have not had that problem but I do have a problem with the seat and it seems to be going no where. Get you owners manual out and follow the steps in the back.
    If you have talked to service, then call the owner or the general manager where you bought the car. His responsibility is for you to be satisfied. Then call pontiac customer service and write them a letter this information is in the back of your book. I have done all these things. I am now waiting for the manager to call me back.
    To all who are having problems with G6 and have had the same things repaired over do this instead of the dealer.

Missouri Lemon Law

Missouri Lemon Laws and the federal Lemon Law (the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act) provide for compensation to Missouri consumers of defective automobiles and trucks and other vehicles and products including motorcycles, RV’s, boats, computers and other consumer appliances and products. To qualify under the Missouri Lemon Law or the federal Lemon Law, you must generally have a product that suffered multiple repair attempts under the manufacturer’s factory warranty. Lemon Law compensation can include a refund, replacement or cash compensation. If you think you qualify for a Lemon Law, click here for a free Missouri Lemon Law case review or for an immediate evaluation, simply fax or email your repair records to 866-773-6152 or help@CarLemon.com. An experienced Lemon Law attorney will personally review your inquiry and records and quickly contact you for a free consultation.
    I have an 06 GTP, I had noise in the front end too. there was a bulletin out for the power steering lines were flapping against the firewall, and they fix that by putting an absorber between. then i still had noise. they changed a strut cause sometimes i guess the inside of the strut makes noise after they have loosened up. which i do not think that would be your issue. good luck
    The New 2009 G6 4cyl, models with now have the option of having the sports package, meaning they will offer a 4cyl with a 6spd transmission, offering 6spd sport shift option. This is exciting, is does offer 32mpg on the mileage now, and gives you a better transmission, rather than the basic 4spd. Now, I believe the 6cyl still has the 4spd, but would imagine it would be next to update as well. Too bad, I bought my G6 too early to get the sport package on the 4cyl. That would add a bit more fun. I am glad they finally add a decent transmission now, 6spd is going to be great. since the normal is 5spd, not 4spd.

I am sorry to hear that people are having problems with their G6.
  • romich96romich96 Member Posts: 14
    I was wondering if anyone had problems with their gear shift getting stuck in park and will not come out?? Well it happen to me about 2 weeks ago. I went to the store and come out, crank up the car, then I couldn't;t get it out of park. I took it to the dealership, the following day, 9/4and I was told that I might need a new gear shifter, if it happens again. Okay then 9/9 it happen again, then on 9/10 the dealership put in a new gear shifter in. I drove it to work the next day, no problem. So on 9/12 it got stuck again in my driveway. I called the dealership, they came to the house to see, but then when they got there, it came out of park. They told me to monitor during the weekend and report back to them if it does it again. Then on 9/16, it happen again, I took it to the dealership again. That next morning, if finally got stuck with them. They told me that my brake lights were not working as they trying to get the gear shift out of park. So they re calibrated my brake pedal on 9/17, and I then drove it home. I went to work 9/18 and had a few errands to run, so I went to another location and park. Guess what it was stuck again. I took it back to the dealership yesterday, to let them know what is continuing to happen. Then I get back in the car, and its stuck again!!! So I left it there and told me to fix this problem and not to call me until its fix. I don;t trust this car since it's just about happen everyday now. I called the dealership today, they don;t even know what to do. They told that they haven't heard nothing yet?

Can anyone help me, so I can forward the solution to the dealership?
  • romich96romich96 Member Posts: 14
    You better be glad that is all you have to deal with. I've had so many problems with my G6, every since I leased it back in 2006. The lease will end Jan 2010, and I will be so freaking glad. I'm trying to get out of it early, due to the fact there is serious mechanical problems happening. My gear shift keeps getting stuck in park and the dealership does not know what to do or how to fix it. Ain't;t that something. I will give by the end of the week, and if nothing, I will take it somewhere else. Good luck with your G6.
    Well since it is under lease, why are they giving you such a hassle? Honestly, it can't be that hard to find the source. What is the point in having a lease, where you are covered under warranty, and can be secure in knowing you can take the car in if there is something wrong. As an owner, as long as you keep up on the service, than you are doing everything you are supposed to. I would take my service elswhere, as that would tick me off bad, if I had a lease and they don't fix the problem. Pontiac cannot expect you to keep a defective car, and as a consumer you do not deserve that treatment.I would like to say to the dealership, Its like "Duh" fix it, take the initiative to get someone who can fix, lol... that does not give them a good image, now does it. In fact, I would report it to Pontiac immediately, get a file started. You want this problem fixed. As to trading out early, good luck, honestly, I am going to trade out soon as a can, I will try about a year or so into the lease, when my payoff is a little lower. I actually tried yesterday to see what would happen if I traded it in now with having it only 5mths, and it was going to be a bit ugly. Honestly, I feel the contract is way too strict on leases, I understand why, but some of the crap they put us through can be avoidable.
    The dealer said I could trade for an Accord, but would have $200 negative equity rolled into the payment, $200 on top of the payment.

Did you know the salesmen tried telling me to start paying more, like $20 or so more a month to lower my payoff, now tell me that makes sense....?! It does, but who does that on a lease, its not my car, I wouldn't be paying off the principal. Only paying down a negative equity to trade early, but still BAD idea... Just goes to show you the salesmen is all talk, and I think I know more than they do sometimes things. Mainly because of this website! Anyways, its okay, I am happy with my G6, I will look again next spring, perhaps at a new Acura TSX or the Accord. I am a Honda guy!
    Well, I tried getting out of my lease, I have only had my car for about 5-6mts, but wanted to see where I stand on trade in for my car. So I went to a local Honda dealer, and it was ugly, they told me that it would about another $200 on top of a new payment for the Accord. They could do it, but that would be the deal. I kinda find it unbelievable. I am sure I can do much better than that, if I really kept trying. I think in a few month, I might trying talking to a successful salesmen here locally, he is really good, and see what he thinks I can do. He can sell Honda, but normally sells toyota. Every time here is salesmen of the month. It is possible, regardless of what people say, people can get out, but you have to try, and it is hard to do.
  • billygoat1billygoat1 Member Posts: 6
    wife has this car leased since december 05 had 2 steering shafts replaced to get rid of clunking in steering ,had radio replaced due to clock resetting to 1200 and blinking ,front and rear brake pads replaced ,had wiper module replaced due to wipers quit working and yesterday had front hub left side replaced due to wheel bearing failed vechile has approx 47000km got to say our gm dealer is very prompt and always gives her a car to use , and all this was covered by the warennty
    I got my "clunk" fixed......the power steering rack had broke. So far so good!
  • billygoat1billygoat1 Member Posts: 6
    has any of you g6 owners gone through alot of window wiper blades ,here where i live you can only buy replacement at $30 each for a05 model. at gm dealer.
  • maronamarona Member Posts: 10
    I know - they are WAY expensive and only available at dealership. The nice thing is that you can replace just one, or both. Don't have to go through a pair every time you need a new blade. I did replace each of mine once already - owned my G6 for about 18 months now. Do you use yours alot? :shades:
    Do a google search for G6 pontiac wiper blade for sale. Others sell them but looks liek same price. (cost.com)
    Okay, Well I have had my first issue with my 08 G6. I got in my car and realized I could not roll down any of my windows. Although, the sunroof opened and nothing else seemed to be out. It is a little frustrating. Actually really annoying. I am documenting everything.

This has nothing to do with the windows, but I am thinking of transferring the lease to a new owner. GMAC is allows this for $595 processing fee. I really want a Honda product back. This would be the only way to get out without some major expense.
    Now getting someone to take over will be interesting. But, with only 8k miles, and $319 a month, it is a really good deal for what you are getting. Leather, roof, 4cyl.
    Then once a new owner has been approved, then they are responsible for the lease, and the account is closed on my end. I then can go get a new lease.

Hopefully, if I decide to keep the car a bit longer, I will not have any more issues.
    Well I have had my first issue with my 08 G6.

In the first 3 months / ~3000 miles the average per JD Power is 1.1 problem/vehicle. So you are doing better than the average vehicle.

And for 3 years the average is 2.1 with Pontiac at 2.2 so hopefully you will beat the average.

And really hopeful it is just something simple. Could be the main window switch wire harness is unhooked.

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2008063

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2008115
    Well it was just the fuse. That is a relief...lol. But, I am still keeping the whole lease transfer in the back of my mind. I am really a Honda guy.

I have 1 person that perhaps might think of taking it from me, but then I would have the hassle of getting a new lease. I could wait a bit longer, but then that might be worse on getting a new owner for my lease.

Even my Honda has a few glitches, but I guess I am being more critical about the Pontiac, because it was never a car I wanted to begin with...(long story). Lets just say I have 2 cars I leased the same day, gave up my 06 Accord for the second car... yep. Oh well. I did it for a good reason. But, I want my Honda back! Don't you love the car industry. Its mean sometimes.
    Well, I found out that I could transfer my 08 G6 lease to a new owner. I think I might have lucked out!! As I called the VW dealer of which I bought my Pontiac from and the salesmen had said that he had an uncle that is in need of a nice G6 with the leather, roof, sound package. Apparently, GMAC is cutting out leasing or it is really hard to do. Therefore getting a payment of $319 a month on a G6 with the features I have is going to be hard to do. Also, the uncle wanted the color I have, and the payment matches what he wants. Therefore the dealer will help transfer the lease to him ( if the uncle wants to do this, I have not heard an actual answer yet. I will hear on Monday). I will then go to a new lease, but I am thinking of whether I should get an Accord or a VW Jetta! If I get the Accord, it'll be the EX-L. If I get the Jetta, I want the Wolfsburg edition with 2.0T engine! I really want my Accord back, but since the VW dealer knows me, and they know someone that could potentially get me out of my G6, which is HARD to do. Because if I opt out of the VW, I might not be able to get the Honda dealer to help me out. So, it seems easier to get the VW. Plus, VW is offering a sign and drive event sale too!!

It sounds like a tough decision. I think the uncle wants the car, then I should take the move! Because it would be a my only really good chance to get out without having to try or wait a long time. It seems like an opportunity.

I know, I am crazy!! what do you think?

So, let me know what you guys think,... I am really an Accord fan. So, perhaps I need to look at both first.
  • kkinziekkinzie Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, i just wanted to say, i just purchased a 07 G6. Im very happy with the car, but, was wandering, if there are any paticular problems i should keep my eyes open for.

I appreciate any feed back that you might have...............thanks