Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G6

Comments

• hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    GM is refurbing the relatively-new Lake Orion, MI plant (former home of the Aurora/Riviera/Park Avenue/Bonneville/LeSabre) to be the new home of the G6.

This is the plant my mother-in-law worked at in Michigan, before transferring to the Janesville, Wisconsin truck plant. The horror stories she told about the management-worker relations - GM almost closed this plant because of all of the problems (and resultant quality issues).

Due to slow demand, there hasn't been a second shift at this plant for some time (GM moved workers from the Buick City plant in Flint). There will be a second shift for the G6. Hopefully the workers understand this is their last shot to do a good quality job and keep the plant running...
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    I don't think that the G6 will have a supercharged engine. My understanding is that it will only offer the 2.4L DOHC 4 cylinder and the 3.5L and 3.9L V6's. Motor Trend once said that it would have a supercharged 3.5L V6, but MT is often not reliable in its future car predictions.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    T-5 days. Looks like we will get our first look on Jan 4.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Of the G6. Was disappointed. To the cars benefit, these are pretty lousy shots. Not as sporty in profile as I would have liked. Actually not sporty at all, this could have been a Malibu. Interior a bit better than the Bu, same steering wheel as Bu but with Pontiac logo :-(.
    Here are the grainy pics.
    exterior
    interior
  • btate2002btate2002 Member Posts: 64
    I just got my February Motor Trend in the mail today, it has a first look at the G6. Kind of reminds me of an Accord.
    I like it!

No, not as sporty as it could have been but I think it's much more attractive than the Malibu. I would put it on par with the Mazda 6 in terms of looks, certainly better than the Accord.

Steering wheel is the only disappointment, looks too much like the Malibu one.

I want to see more.. got any other pics? What does the rear look like?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    IMO a slight improvement over the Malibu design, but could have been better. I hate that steering wheel also.

Honestly? The Cobalt is a more interesting design, inside and out, especially the coupe.

-juice
    Exterior is MUCH better, no contest. Interior is slightly better, hopefully no Malibu gray option. If it drives as well as the Bu, I would buy one in a heartbeat. Definitely a head on Accord fighter.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Looks great, period. Much better than the Malibu as everyone said. Interior looks pretty good, except for all the plastics and the ugly steering wheel. The side of the car reminds me of a Camry, not in a good way. The Mazda 6 still seems to be better inside and out. Nonetheless, Pontiac has a very capable car here!
  • shado4shado4 Member Posts: 287
    Wow...I think the G6 looks stunning on the outside. I really like the way the back wheels are pushed to the corners...sort of like a 4-door Maxx. What's the wheelbase of the G6? Is it like the regular Malibu or more lengthened (as the picture suggests) like the Maxx?

I'm only so-so on the interior. Come on, Pontiac, lets see some contrasting color dash panels like the Chevy Cobalt. Monotone interiors don't appeal to me.
    So long as the plastics are a good quality, matted and solid, I generally like the dash. Need to see better pics though.
    Is there anyone out there with more G6 pics?
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Wheelbase: 120"

Like the Malibu Maxx.

Due at dealerships supposedly in third quarter...
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    120 would be huge.

The larger size is very interesting.

GM is making this car a step up in looks, sporting character, luxury and size from the Malibu.

This is the start of distinguishing Pontiac from Chevrolet.
    I wondered about that. Motor Trend is the source for the 120. February issue, page 38.
    A 120" wheelbase would definitely be huge for this class of vehicle. The regular Malibu is 106", the Malibu Maxx 112". Heck, a 2004 Mitsubishi Galant I test drove on Saturday (which I thought was huge) only has a 108" wheelbase, about the same as an Accord. The G6 even bests the new BMW 5-series sedan, which comes in at just under 114"!

Wonder what the effect this long wheelbase has on handling?
    Longer wheelbases let the car absorb bumps more easiy, making for a smoother ride. Actually, I don't exactly know how it helps in the handling area. :)
    It must be 112".

A G6 with tight shocks and springs and the right tires should have very good handling for an FWD vehicle.
    It comes with body coloured side mirrors, handles as well or better than a Mazda 6 and Acura TSX (will be tough with cast iron block?), has good steering feel, and comes with a black interior option.
    Its handicapped by the standard nineties style black stacked center console hvac/radio parts which other manufacturers have left behind. Its got to beat the competition at other things.

Certainly the GP seems more like a dinosaur now.
    Its too bad they named it the G6 because the concept had everyones hopes up for a radical departure/revolutionary design.
    I have always liked the Pontiac theme so as long as the plastics are good I think the interior will be just fine. Again, we need to see better pictures.

120" wheelbase, I doubt it.
    Last post of 2004.
    Dindak? Last post of twothousandFOUR???

That's what you wrote, man!

This is my first, but hopefully not last, post of 2004!

Anywho, the G6 looks like something I may well consider, if I don't get snagged by an 05 Outback wagon on the way...
    DOPE!

;-)
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    It is a 112" wheelbase with overall length of 187.7". Rear seat headroom is .3" more then a Grand Prix (not sure if/how the sunroof options may effect that), .5" more shoulder, and 1.6" more leg.
    Where did you get that data?

Hopefully it's not as low as the GP. 04 Malibu has great rear seats.
    Dealers have had the info since October. Talked about it when my Bonneville was in for its 240,000 check up.
    Ah.. I see.

Can't wait to see some real pics and specs.

Monday!
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    the pics don't convey to me something that has any advantage over the Mazda6.

we'll wait to find out the performance aspect, but the Mazda 6s is more attractive inside and out. And the Mazda6 is already cheap to buy. Plus you can get a hatch and wagon.

And G6 is pushrod only, if they follow throuhg on that there had better be horsepower.

UGLY steering wheels. Interior isn't enough of a change from the current icky Pontiacs.
    I knew you wouldn't like G6. You still have to test a 3.5L before you trash it, you simply don't know how good it is.

Exterior is as good (if not better) than Mazda 6. Interior is more racy but as long as the plastics used are good quality, I'm ok with it. Big advantage over Mazda is # of dealers and service. Mazda sucks in that department.
    Well, Pontiac finally has a car that can compete! Not only does the G6 look pretty good, but it has a nice interior and a pretty good engine to back it up. Sadly, I think it should've had a more powerful engine as the competition can quickly catch up. Nevertheless, I think I'll take the 6 because of the interior, sporty reflexes, and exterior styling - but it only wins by 1 point. Can't wait for the unveiling!! :)
    250 to 270 hp is really pushing things in a front wheel drive car.

Unless there is some monumental advance in technology, there is no way of getting around torque steer in a front drive set up. The better idea for fwd cars is to make them as economical as possible without giving up the current level of fun.

The current GP will be relegated in all but name to Chevy Classic fleet only status when the G6 hits the market. The replacement GP along with the Impala/LaCrosse replacements will probably be on a decontented rwd sigma platform.

GM's engineers can play with hp numbers for those cars all they want.
    Only thing I don't like about the Mazda 6 in this comparison is the Fake metal look center console. Its not in the Mazda 3 and its better for it. G6 with that cast iron block has a big disadvantage to overcome in the handling department. The 9-3 does very well but its got a little 4 banger up front.
    The Bu handles pretty good and it's not even tuned for that so I'm sure Pontiac will do ok. The 3.9 needs to come on line ASAP.
    3.9 will be available not long into G6 production, scheduled for the spring of '05.
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    Nope. The Impala and Monte are staying on the FWD W-body until MY 2009. They are being refreshed for 2006.
    Nothing I am reading agrees with that. FWD Impala/Monte will be gone sooner than you think.

The G6 looks to be a car I will consider...
    Can you hold out till the 3.9L version comes out? Looks to be the fun one.
    Depends on how long it is. I may buy the high powered V6 Outback due out in April. Yeah, I know...that's a weird thing to cross-shop!
    Scheduled to be ready for April 05, so its a bit of a wait.
    and the old Impala has 145k on it with me driving 40-50k a year...so 2005 is out of the question for me...
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I liked the concept's interior a lot more
  • tgp1810tgp1810 Member Posts: 112
    Me too - the new one is what Pontiac should be trying to get away from. It reminds me of the Grand Prix (whos interior sucks as well). The GTO's interior is really nice, but then again Pontiac didn't design it either.
    I know it's a long way off, but does anyone know if the G6 convertible will have a metal hardtop or a standard fabric roof. I'm guessing fabric mainly because of the price point. Still, it will be nice having a self-covering tonneau as standard equipment.

Would be interesting to see a comparo between the G6 convertible and the Chrysler Sebring convertible. May have to wait over a year for that to happen though. ;-)
    All indications are that it will be a hard-top convertible.
    > All indications are that it will be a hard-top convertible. <

Really? Wow, I'm even more impressed. But I wonder how expensive this will make the car. A fully loaded G6 convertible could come awfully close to $30,000, don't you think?

Still, it will be very nice to have a tight, solid enclosure for the winter months and be able to really "open her up" during summer. I may have to wait until next year to buy a car since this G6 convertible keeps sounding more enticing to me.
  • breetai52breetai52 Member Posts: 91
    With a hardtop convertible will probably clear 30k. I think a fully loaded GP will MSRP for just about 30k. The G6 will probably be right behind that and a HT convertible will add a decent amount...
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Interesting that the wheelbase is longer. This is counter-intuitive. Pontiac is the excitement division, I'd expect it would get the shorter wheelbase for quicker turn-in and less weight, leaving the bigger cars for family duty in the Chevy lineup.

Oh well, at least they're distinguished.

I'll have to drive one, the 'bu impressed me with its engine but was tuned a little too softly for my tastes.

-juice
  • sirlandsirland Member Posts: 16
    I just got my motor trend mag for Feb. 04. It show a frist look of the G6. It is not bad looking. The inside looks far better than any pontiac car they have now. From what I've heard, the car is going to be on the long (120 wheelbase)
    of the eplison platform. Engine choice will be from a 170 hp V4, 200 hp V6, and maybe a 250-285 hp supercharge V6. The convertible is going to be a soft top, with a cover that is going to be like the Saab 9-3 convertible's. I am not 100% sure if that is the case, but that is what I've heard. Does anyone know any other info about the G6?
    Welcome sirland. You might want to read up a few posts before yours. First of all, we are virtually certain that MT article has a typo in it. That wheelbase is almost certainly 112, not 120.

What is your source for the soft top on the convertible? Curious minds would love to know!
    Two typos, actually. They claim it will have a 2.2L Ecotec, when it will actually have the 2.4L 170 HP VVT version.