Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Malibu Maxx

Comments

• Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter from a national newspaper would like to speak to owners who just bought a station wagon instead of purchasing a minivan or SUV. If you would to speak with the media, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info., city/state of residence and how long you’ve had the car no later than January 6, 2006

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    I posted this on the problems and solutions board and got no responses. I've smelled antifreeze randomly on less than ten occasions during the year (23K) I've owned the car. No obvious leakage or overheating. Fluids up, no coolant in oil that I can see.

Any ideas on this?
  • Options
    mybooomybooo Member Posts: 92
    Well, I took the 05 MAXX LS in yesterday to have the dealer fic the fuel sensor or sending unit - can't remember. Its the part that works the gas gauge. Well....The steering part did not come in so I picked up the car and will take it back tomorrow when the part comes in. Now for the story. The fuel sensor/sending unit was being replaced, they had to drop the fuel tank to do it. After I picked it up, I went and got gas - filled up. Filled up as I always do....when the nozzle shut off, I had some fuel running out of the wheel well....hmmm...not good! Well, it was just a little bit. I noticed the area around the gas filler (black plastic) was loose. Anyway, paid for gas and left. About 1/2 mile down the road, the fuel gauge was on 3/4 allready! GREAT! That is the problem they were supposed to fix! All of a sudden, the car dies! I start it, nothing. Long story short, I have to rev the car, and keep it above 2000 rpm to keep it running! Now I am about 15 miles from home, in the middle of townm lots of traffic and stop and go lights! I had ordered and paid for a pizza about 3 miles out of the way, was due to pick it up, had my 8 year old daughter with me...she is getting nervous now that the new car is not working. Anyway, after a long drive home, and lots of stalls, and throwing the car in neutral, I get to the highway for the 10 mile drive home. The car is running a little rough, but at high speeds seems like we will make it. So I feel lucky, and stopped at Mc Donalds for my daughter (she hates pizza - go figure!). Get back in the car, starts fine and drive home. Took a back road just in case. The car only chugged a few times and did not stall at all the rest of the 5 or 6 miles home. It is going back tomorrow. I hope it is an easy fix as we are going out of town Sunday. Does anyone know what might have happened? I am thinking they did not get the tank /filler neck back right as the area around it is loose and gas spilled out. Does anyone think that this might be the cause or have any other ideas? THanks!
  • Options
    Well, it has been about 3 hours since we got home. I went outside, unscrewed the gas cap and "BUUUUURP"! A HUGH "burp" sound came from the filler neck. Do you think it is air that is causing the problem? THANKS!!!!!!!
  • Options
    paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I too have had the faint smell in the last couple of months...it didnt happen until i topped off the overflow container however.....when it was cold.....level was slightly low......I cant find any reason for it at all....at least one that is visible!!!....have had the smell in a while now....56K on mine
  • Options
    minn_maxxminn_maxx Member Posts: 51
    I too have an antifreeze smell on occasion (2004 Maxx, 28k miles). Normally smell it on start up for a minute or two. Level in the overflow tank has been okay for the last few months (I added a bit to it about 6-months ago). Older versions of the GM 60-degree V6 have had problems with the intake manifold gaskets. Supposed to be fixed on the 3500...
  • Options
    kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    Saw my first '06 Maxx SS today while getting my '04 steering rack replaced (got rid of pops/clicks in steering feel and makes car drive much nicer).

The first thing I noted was the SS seats were nowhere as aggressive as thought. Wider, a little more bolstering in the sides is all. Should be good on trips.
    The second thing was sunlight glinted off the stupid chrome trim on all the Radio controls, right into my eyes.
    The third thing was the brochure revealed a choice of colors, including white with beige (I forget their word for it) and ebony trim. Nice!
    The 4th thing was the 18" tires actually had meat to them and are not thin little things. The underside of the car was also exceptionally clean in terms of layout.

I did not drive it; will first wait to see how the new engine holds up, if the steering rack issue is addressed ('06's apparently have problems too), the promised addition of On Star in '07 happens, they loose the Knob Chrome and sub brushed metal (avoiding glare), and Delphi does not go on strike (if they do, GM's in real trouble).
  • Options
    amazineamazine Member Posts: 11
    I'm thinking the air for sure......If not, then I would go with Mcdonalds. 3 hours after Mcdonals will make anyone or anything go BUUUUUUURP.... :P
  • Options
    tested the SS. Liked the engine power and better handling, didn't like the ride (leaden, harsh). MPG is about 4 gal worse than the current Maxxes - 20% more HP for 20% more fuel.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if GM will make the SS's 3.9, with a little lower gearing (or, heavens, a 5 speed trans?) for better mileage, available in other Mailbus for 2007 ?

I am seriously considering another Maxx before the line ends in 2007, but the SS is rough around the edges and uses too much fuel.
  • Options
    e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Doubtful on your question, Kurt :(

I sure hope to see some official info about changes for 2007 models so it can be discussed further - maybe with LA and Detroit auto shows starting soon?
  • Options
    Perhaps GM will shed some light on future 3.9L use soon, though I'd understand if they kept quiet so not to jeprodize sales of current models.

But perhaps you or an associate can tell me whether or not the Maxx SS seats are trimmed in Vynel ?

I have owned cars interiors containing that plastic and in hot weather their windows can fog up with vynel oil in a few minutes. Fortunately my current '04 maxx doesn't have this problem!
  • Options
    arlabodaarlaboda Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a 2005 certified maxx with 25000 miles and while driving home my son head a wind noise from the passenger rear side. Anyone else with this issue? Also notice condensation inside the headlamps on the car. Looked 5-8 other Maxx's and saw the same thing on most of them. Is this common? I do enjoy the ride and price of the car - reason I purchased it Hope it goes well. Also any idea why I only recieved 1 key flob with 2 keys on it instead of 2 remotes.? I also was not happy that there was less than a 1/4 tank of gas in it from Joe Romanno Chevy in Syracuse NY.
  • Options
    paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I would approach the dealer again.....brand new I got two fobs and two keys for each fob....never had any condensation inside the headlamps..at all..as for wind noise..nothing on mine at all...04 Maxx LT with 56K on it
  • Options
    indychick73indychick73 Member Posts: 25
    This is so funny. I was just logging on to ask this very question about wind noise. I picked up my 05 Maxx two days ago and beginning yesterday I've noticed wind noise on the rear passenger side. I don't remember it on my test drive or on the day I picked up the car, but I may not have been paying attention. I keep thinking the door is ajar or the window down, but they're not. I'd love to know if this can be remedied in any way.

Oh yeah, I also have the condensation issue inside the headlamps and the very corner of the passenger windows. This doesn't bother me nearly as much as the wind noise.

One more thing... does anyone know what that little rubber thingy is just below the ignition?
  • Options
    Forgot to say, I got two key fobs, one key on each.
  • Options
    The little rubber thing is a bumper so that your keys don't scrath/rub against the trim. At least that is what the salesman told us :-) That was the first and only feature he knew about :-)
  • Options
    OK, I picked up the MAXX after being in the shop for 8 days! THe stalling problem is taken care of. They said they had not retightened a hose. As for the clunk/popping issue in the steering, they finally found out (after waiting 8 days for a part to show!) that the part is back ordered and they will let me know when it comes in. I am glad to have the MAXX back in the meantime, as we had an Aveo as a loaner. Very small! But it did beat walking!
  • Options
    I think retail cost of new fob is $60 :surprise:
  • Options
    maxxolivermaxxoliver Member Posts: 78
    I had this same problem with my drivers door, sounded like the window was open. I had the dealer check it and realign it and that took care of the noise. The door was off by only a fraction of an inch but made a difference.
  • Options
    nu2maxxnu2maxx Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a used (former rental) 05 Maxx with 28,000 miles. I have been reading this board until my eyes have bugged out. I was really nervous about purchasing a Domestic car and was going to get what I considered the safe choice of a Camry/Accord or Camcord as I like to call them, but I happened to drive a new Malibu while on a business trip and was really impressed. I’m ashamed to admit I never thought I would say that about an American car. I needed something somewhat utilitarian, 4 door, automatic, good mpg, and car seat friendly. I saw a Maxx and was intrigued, but was worried about the reliability. I must say this board helped me make the plunge in that most of the people here seem to have had good luck with it. I have a build date of July 04, which from what I have read should have most of the first run kinks out. That being said, I only have a few miles left on the factory warranty and am wondering what, if any recalls or tsb's have been done, and which ones I definitely need to try and take care of. I signed into GM Link and registered over there (thanks to a link from this fine site!) but it has no info on my car. Can someone help me get a jump start so I can get everything crammed in within the next 8,000 miles? (e2helper?) I didn’t purchase any type of extended warranty because the last one I bought went bankrupt 1 year later and I’m guessing the miles will go quickly. The last 6 of my VIN are 115446. Thanks
  • Options
    Looks like build is specifically 7/20/04. I didn't see any open campaigns on vehicle
  • Options
    I just bought a '05 Maxx. It was previously a rental and has 11,000 miles on it. I think I got a good deal at just under $14K. I also added the GMPP extended warranty, 60 mos. for $1270. I LOVE my Maxx and plan to own it for many years.

I'm curious... how do you figure out the build date? My VIN ends with 266292.
  • Options
    oops! My warranty is for 72 mos., not 60!
  • Options
    Glad you are enjoying your Maxx, your build date is March 11, 2005. You can't figure out build date from the VIN alone - I just have access to a little more information than most ;)
  • Options
    buyacargetacbuyacargetac Member Posts: 2
    The Maxx looks like an economical, comfortable alternative to an SUV for carrying my kids' 70" surfboards. Does anyone know what the maximum cargo length is with the passenger front seat in the up position?
  • Options
    beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    I haven't exactly measured it, but I think it's about 6 feet. The claim for the length with the passenger front seat in the down position is 8 feet...and I can vouch for that cause I went out and measured it before hauling a rolled up carpet in mine. :)
  • Options
    kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    If surveying the newest Maxxes, keep in mind the Maxx SS version's front seat can _not_ be folded forward.
  • Options
    nu2maxxnu2maxx Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the quick reply e2helper. I'm trying to be hyper sensitive to anything I hear or see to try and catch something while it is under warranty, without ruining my new driving experience. So far I have enjoyed it a lot. I waxed it in the garage this afternoon, and I think I may try and trim a furnace filter to check out my unoffical factory hvac filter holder behind the glove box tomorrow.
  • Options
    Sorry I wasn't able to provide you with any "action items" for your vehicle but I guess that is a good thing ;)
  • Options
    golfgoumbagolfgoumba Member Posts: 8
    Hi All,

Just got my brand new 2005 MAXX LS last week(LOVE IT!!!. Cant believe how fast this car is, I almost feel like they put the SS motor in my LS. Anyway, I have some questions, I would love to put some chrome wheels(16 inch) on it and was wondering if anyone else has got them on it and where did you get them. Would love any pictures of them on your car sent to me(babalina@verizon.net). One problem I had was visor mirrors covers both broke when we tried to use the mirrors, dealer is suppose to replace them next week. Also I would love to buy a cargo mat for the back but cant find anything on the net except for the malibu and not the maxx. Also missing was this paper clip holder that suppose to stick to the mirror. Was this suppose to come with the car or is it a extra to buy, because I cant find mine in the car. Also does anyone have any cool after market accessories on there car. I also want to get the windows tinted for the rear windows(cant tint front in NJ) I saw on ebay that they are selling precut tint and claim its real easy to install your self(anyone have any luck) Well I am rambling as you can see I am excited about the car. Any help would much be appreciated!!!
  • Options
    tgimaxxtgimaxx Member Posts: 9
    Have you had the tie rods checked?
  • Options
    hemapihemapi Member Posts: 7
    Can you let me know the part number that solved your power steering noise? I have a similar problem.

Thanks.

hemapi@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Well I just got word a from my service advisor that the part is not available until sometime in the first quarter 06. THey said Chevy told them if they replaced it, the problem would be back in 1-5 days. They will let me know as as soon as the part comes in. He says it is safe to drive, and if I go over warranty no problem. He gave me a print out with my case #, and first and last name contact at Chevy. My service advisor at Rydell Chevrolet in Waterloo Iowa is doning an awesome job! I did not by the car their, but I had heard about the great servcie dept. so I take it there for service and they treat me great! Loaner car, you name it. I will keep you all posted when the part comes in and let you know what it is.
  • Options
    cromancroman Member Posts: 1
    ive got a 2006 mailbu maxx SS does anyone know the top speed for the maxx and the SS
  • Options
    skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    I'm not sure what the top speed is, however, I have a 2004 and the front end started to float at about 110 and felt scary at about 113 and I backed off. Your dealer will tell you if there is a governor on the car.
  • Options
    first: e2helper, do you know if GM uses __any__ kind of protective coating on sockets and connectors?

If not, electronic supply houses offer sprays that de-corrode and clean contacts. Ones made by CAIG and BULLFROG are particularly good.
  • Options
    I've had my problems with the Maxx but in fairness it was an early build, and first year cars always have problems, no matter who builds them.

To be fair, Strategic Vision, a survey company doing 90,000 or surveys of new vehicle owners, found the Malibu Maxx to be at the top of the medium multifunction vehicle class (but not the highest overall scorer).

The survey studies how customers feel about which company is (a) building better vehicles, (b) communicating more effectively, (c) increasing sales opportunity, (d) creating strong brand image, (e) creating loyalty, and (f) assessing success and failure of strategy.

...and this is a car GM wants to kill after 2007. Go figure.
  • Options
    marlapmarlap Member Posts: 18
    I picked up my 2005 maxx today and i love this car!! It has so many extra little features inside that i feel like i'm in a lexsus well a less expensive version anyway. It drives so nicely. I am surprised that i don't see more of these on the roads around here in sc. The water wasn't there today so I hope that it was just an accident. Anyone have any good tips on keeping the beige interior clean other than not letting my kids near it? :)
  • Options
    amazineamazine Member Posts: 11
    wow..had mine briefly at 105 after crusing at 90. I wanted to push it a little more before I remembered that I'm not invicible anymore.
  • Options
    medinamalibumedinamalibu Member Posts: 71
    Ah yes, the good-ol' invincibility concept. I've yet to break 80 in my 2005 Maxx. Personal record is 93MPH in a 1998 Malibu sedan. I am wiser now than I was then, and slightly less emotional while driving. I have to admit the high speed was a rush (no pun intended?) more of a rush than I could handle for more than ten seconds.
  • Options
    I think I have only been to 80 or 85 in our MAXX. When does the governor kick in? My previous car - a Grand Prix GTP had a chip that cut out at 126 mph. Hit that a few times :-)
  • Options
    czhangczhang Member Posts: 4
    My wife is buying a new car in a month, and we are looking at both. Impala LS and Maxx LT are very close in terms of pricing and power train. Any suggestion on which one is better?

I heared GM reduced price on those models recently. Are the price listed on Edmunds the new price? How much is difference? With the new price, does it mean there is no more rebate?
  • Options
    Maxx has advantage of more inside room .vs. ext. volume, and can be configured to carry bulky stuff that won't fit in the Malibu (rear seating is more spacious in Maxx).

But you can get bigger engines in Malibu.

It also depends which styling you/her like the best.

Other than that both have pretty much same reliability records.
  • Options
    I think you meant bigger engine in Impala.

I think the Impala is a big improvement on the pre '06 car and probably better looking than the 'Bu (especially the front eng, although the new 'Bu front clip is better than last year).

However, the Impala certainly lacks the Maxx's flexibility and my suspicion is that a 'Bu LTZ is probably better finished than the Impala LS (especially with the bench seat.)

My Maxx has been rock steady and trouble-free during the year I've had it. I've never been happier with a car. It would be nice if there were Sonata, Fusion and Accord wagons-hatches to choose from. However the Mazda 6 and Subie are the only cars out there with that kind of size and efficiency. IMHO the Maxx is the best deal out there given the flexibility of the package. GM is stupid for shutting it down.
  • Options
    Yup, you are right...The New Impala has wider engine selection, including a V8. My apologies.

There is also the Audi A3 hatch, which is nicely finished inside, but wrt Maxx it's smaller inside, costs $4-15K more and is based on the VW GOLF, which has had poor reliability.
  • Options
    Does anyone know what the suspension travel is on the Maxx?

In inches or CM?
  • Options
    Any body???

Is that info so secret than not even the engineers know?
  • Options
    czhangczhang Member Posts: 4
    I went to 3 dealers and all of them showed the invoice price sheets that has 2 extra items. One is for advertisement and the other for soemthing I do not quite understand, total of which is around $350. Two dealers quoted me $200 over the invoice price that include the $350 charge. So it is actually $550 over the car invoice + destination. Is this normal?
  • Options
    Bought my Maxx a year ago. Can't remember the invoice but I got the base LS for almost exactly $6000 off list. Think it came to about thirty over the $16,000 mark. Of course the list price should be lower now with less markdown but I'd think the takehome price should be about the same. This is without GM card assistance.