Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda3 Hatchback

Comments

• Options
    bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    where do they put the key lock of the hatch?

where does the radio antenna go (on the windshield?)?

and what is this thing on the right side of the shifter that looks like a remote control?

Bruno
  • Options
    eteaetea Member Posts: 30
    There is a way to place your car's mirror that will completely get rid of the blind zone (for objects such as cars).

This method is approved by the SAE (Societiy of Automotive Engineers).

The main issue is that by looking at the windows, you lose precious reaction time (especially true on highways).

I see everything without having to rotate my head more than to look at the mirrors.

WARNING: This method takes some time to get used to it and you SHOULD keep looking through the side windows until you feel totally confident with this new way.

It is really special as you wont see the car behind you in the side mirrors (it was duplicate info from the rear mirror).

I invite you to read this document: http://www.sts.sae.org/membersonly/blindzone/index.htm
  • Options
    Hummm, by complaining about the visibility I get for free a lesson about adjusting my mirrors. Two comments first:

1. I don't know if we are talking the same thing but for me the problem of looking at the back window on the highway is NOT reaction time, but rather one have to leave the eyes momentally on what happens in the direction where the car is moving.

2. I usually do not need to look through the back window while driving, because: first, I usually know constantly what is going on all around my car, second: I have my side mirrors adjusting very outward (100% out on my P5) thus I only need to check through the front windows a fraction of second to cover the blind spot. That the way I'm doing for years and years...

Now back to the lack of visibility

1. have you ever tried to backpark into a tight spot with the car like the Open Astra?

2. Sometime the only way to eliminate the blind zone is looking through the back window. For example when entering into a highway from the ramp: the directions of our car and that of the on-going traffic are converging and our side mirrors can't possibly cover another car coming closer from a side.

3. Car design that has a bad visibility will no double compromise the safety, regardless the style of driving. I would reject the car if I don't feel totally comfortable of driving it. Lack of visibility certainly could make me very uncomfortable.

Bruno
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Looks like the remote from the 6 for the NAV system. This isn't currently available in NA, but is in Europe and Japan. Might be coming in 2004 to NA.
  • Options
    wongpreswongpres Member Posts: 422
    "where do they put the key lock of the hatch?"

There's no external keyhole for the hatch. The MX Sportif is a concept car. The door handles are also conceptual and don't have a exterior keyhole either (production door handles will be like the Mazda6).

"where does the radio antenna go (on the windshield?)?"

Again, concept car, so they kept it clean for showcar purposes. Production antenna will be like the current Protege5.

"and what is this thing on the right side of the shifter that looks like a remote control?"

As mazdafun says, it's the remote control for the NAV.
  • Options
    creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    Being small & comfy rules! Who can stand Mazda6's huge turning circle?

VW, BMW, & Toyota make quiet small cars. Are you gonna do it this time, Mazda?

Close-ratio 5-sp? 2.3L is big enough to handle this little car. Offer a wide ratio! Or I'll have to increase tire diameter again this time like what I did w/ my '90 Protege LX-- still suffering from the noise today since day 1.
  • Options
    artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    Don't think they can raise the price much over the current one.....gotta keep the sedan competitive with Corollas, Civics, Focuses etc. and the P5 in the game with Matrixes, Vibes, ZX5's etc. The 6 is pretty competitive with it's competition and I would expect the 3 to follow suit.
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    Mazda's are usually priced anywhere from 300 dollars to 1,000 dollars under Honda and Toyota's entry's. I could see the the 3 being higher priced than the Focus because of the Focus's dismal reliability record.
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
  • Options
    The wheel base and wide tread are larger than the Protege5's. Hope that the car isn't getting too big. The 18" wheels look nice, but what's the advantage having such big wheels? I guess big wheels would not come down to the production.

Bruno
  • Options
    bpwpr5bpwpr5 Member Posts: 9
    I don't mind the new guage design--it seems to be the trend and helps distinguish the car as more of a true "sports" car. Individual-guage design can be pulled off well, as it looks to be here. The lighting like the 6 has will help make them stand out and be more unique. I hope the steering wheel controls stay in the US version!

I doubt if our seats come as colorful, though. Tough to sell a bunch of leather that looks too "tuned." We will probably get a similar wheel option that the 6 has--16 std with option for 17s with some add'l trim package. 18s are too expensive to maintain for a production--at least an economy car. I hope it stays reasonable!
  • Options
    boxfanboxfan Member Posts: 180
    18-inch wheels are definitely a concept car thing, they never make it to production, at least on a small car. More things that won't make it to production, at least in the US: stability control and side curtain airbags. You can't even get stability control on the 6 here, so I doubt they'll offer it on the 3, because that would push the price too high. I'd like to see side curtain airbags as an option on a small car (I think only Saturn offers that), we'll see if they really offer them. And I agree that those seats won't be seen here.

Nice looking car, though. Personally, I like the look of the back end. I don't think the C-pillar is TOO huge, it tapers near the top, so it probably wouldn't block the view too badly once you got used to it.
  • Options
    bpwpr5bpwpr5 Member Posts: 9
    I was noticing my view out of the back window of my P5 this morning and the angle that you're seeing it through the rear-view mirror only leaves you a couple inches of perceived opening, so even as it is, it's not the most useful opening because the back end is so short. I was not a fan of the big tapered c-pillar as it is on the Vibe, but the new design is much more thought-out and looks really good. Notice how the rear doors taper in an angle to match the c-pillar lines. Obviously they have paid attention to design! I can't wait to see this car in person.
  • Options
    Looks like the interior, projector headlights, and others will for the most part make it into production:

http://europe.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=52421
  • Options
    theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
  • Options
    Why,'cause we're 2nd class "citizens"? Consumer Report listed "optional" for Mazda6's stability. We should get it soon, I hope. Focus offers stability (AdvanceTrak) in this country for years already. Toyota offers up scale interior in Corolla LE since March '02. & Jetta is getting both! w/ the new version (hatch back-- Golf) coming out as soon as the Mazda3.

Mazda3 is their best effort (by utilizing Europe's best fwd chassis!) to make a comeback! You expect Mazda to eat dust (& trail behind Corolla & Focus)?
  • Options
    because all it matters for most of the US consumers is the horsepower number...
  • Options
    I'm with you on this one. It's ridiculous how much people care about the HP #, NOT how the car FEELS when driving it.

So if you say you have a 160HP car, and someone has a 200+ HP car, your 160HP car is though less of, even though it could be the more fun to drive...

Instead of getting 200HP, I'd like standard SAB/SAC and ABS (ok we get the ABS standard here in Canada, but I still don't see why Mazda USA is charging more for ABS).

Dinu
  • Options
    mutcthmutcth Member Posts: 17
    CR says that stability isn't offered on the 6. I want it in my next car - I think that it will trickle down into compact cars (probably with the Golf redesign) and that Mazda should for once be ahead on safety features.

I'm willing to pay for it - hell, the interior on the Sportif looks better than that on my Passat....
  • Options
    The New York International Auto Show will have an MX Sportif, according to cars.com. Anyone in the neighborhood? It opens April 19.

http://www.cars.com/carsapp/autoshowny/?srv=parser&act=displa- y&tf=/features/autoshow2003/coverage/ny/posted/coverage_04_09- _01.tmpl
  • Options
    But please take and post pictures! :)
  • Options
    Post pics!

I can't wait till this car is introduced.

Dinu
  • Options
    I hate those things. Don't like them on the Matrix/Vibe, won't like them in the RX-8 or 3.

They're hard to see into and reflect glare.
  • Options
    I don't know if I can make it, that's why I asked if anyone would be in the neighborhood. I'll be in Philadelphia; I'll see if I can ditch the family for a day and make it over there.
  • Options
    ***Wait until the end. There are some close-ups***

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/?video_gallery/video_gallery_story.p- hp?id=34211

Dinu
  • Options
    "you'll be delighted to hear that a reversed intake-exhaust layout (with the exhaust system fitted at the rear), a variable intake system (VIS), a tumble swirl control valve (TSCV) and a high-flow port head are all part of the package"

http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/geneva_2003/06/
    -------------------------
    "Maximum output is estimated at 150 hp at 6000 rpm and maximum torque is estimated at 140 lb-ft at 4500 rpm. In terms of environmental performance, the MZR engine in the MX Sportif aims to meet the PZEV (partial zero emission vehicle) standard in the United States. The engine in mated to a close-ratio, short-throw five-speed manual transmission"

"The MX Sportif features the latest evolution of the Mazda Advanced Impact Distribution and Absorption System body, dual stage opening Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) front airbags, as well as SRS side curtains and seat mounted front side airbags. This level of passive safety equipment - matched to the active safety that is inherent in any vehicle with exceptional driving dynamics - gives MX Sportif a reassuring level of safety that is expected in all automobiles. Active safety is pushed to the highest levels with the inclusion of Mazda's sophisticated anti-lock brake system and Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), boosting the MX Sportif's overall handling stability and braking performance beyond their basic potential"

MX Sportif Specifications

Dimensions Overall Length 171.3 in. (4350mm) Overall Width 62.3 in. (1760mm)

Overall Height 57.1 in. (1450mm) Wheelbase 103.9 in. (2640mm) Tread, front/rear 60.4/60.2 in. (1535/1530mm)

Seating capacity 5 persons

Engine Type MZR 2.0L inline four-cylinder

Output (SAE net) 150 hp @ 6000 rpm (estimated)

Torque (SAE net) 140 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm (estimated)

Transmission Type Five-speed manual

Suspension Suspension system, front/rear MacPherson strut/multi-link

Brakes front/rear Ventilated disc/disc Tires 225/45R-18

http://www.autointell-news.com/News-2003/April-2003/April-2003-4/- April-23-03-p8.htm

Dinu
  • Options
    for stability on a car already w/ ABS & traction control.

(mutcth)
    "I want stability (control, that is)!...I'm willing to pay for it - hell, the interior on the Sportif looks better than that on my Passat...."

Mazda wouldn't dare to charge more than that would they? I wonder how much they're charging it in the Japanese-made 6 in other markets.
  • Options
    (mazdafun)
    "OK, I hope they lose the chromed rings around the IP...I hate those things."

I hate them, too. It also makes the car old fashion. & while the 330i got it, the 325i doesn't, along w/ exterior grill & side-window surrounds.
  • Options
    gotenks243gotenks243 Member Posts: 116
    "CR says that stability isn't offered on the 6. I want it in my next car - I think that it will trickle down into compact cars (probably with the Golf redesign) "

Electronic Stabilization Program has been a $280 option on all the compact (Golf platform) Volkswagens right now since the start of the 03 model year. Even the cheapest US VW, the Golf GL 2.0 2-door, has power everything, ABS, 4-wheel discs, side airbags, and side curtains. With ESP added, it's still only $16,150.

I must admit, when I consider cars other than a TDI VW, such as a Mazda6 or 3, I feel cheated at the thought of having to pay extra for those kinds of safety features that are standard in a German car. As long as they're available in the Mazda, it really makes no difference, of course, it's just a mental thing. Everybody likes more standard equipment, right?

Mike
  • Options
    BMW offers 2 STAGES for its DSC stability control! You can choose either one at push of the button. In dangerously slippery conditions, just leave it in full control.

Some cars, e.g., Subaru Legacy, almost stop the car on every minor skid. You might as well turn it off & risk.

I'm not sure if our Focus's AdvanceTrak is tuned the same as the Euro Focus's ESP, which is excellent at allowing some skidding fun before the stability control steps in, since this platform is already very safe w/o the intervention anyway.

It's a good thing that the Mazda engineers for the "Focus(II)-platform" 3 is being educated under Euro Ford's guideline in the dynamic area! I read this somewhere. So we're likely getting the fun stability program for the 3, if it's available at all.
  • Options
    A video and gallery of the MX-Sportif (M3) driving on a street.

http://elmundomotor.elmundo.es/elmundomotor/2003/03/05/coches/104- 6887216.html#

Dinu
  • Options
    Looks like it handles well, but it is rather ugly from the low rear-quarter view. IMO, not as good-looking overall as the current P5. Wish I could put the P5 skin on top of the 3 chassis.
  • Options
    I like the front and sides, but the rear wil have to grow on me - it's VERY European, maybe too European for our taste in NA???

Dinu
  • Options
    I just think it's overdone, like the Matrix (though not as badly).
  • Options
    revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    I think this is much better design. The current protege's look is all in the body kit. Take that away and the lines are pretty dull. This car has a great shape and unique lines completely independent of a deep front fascia or side cladding.

I fail to see how it is overdone. I think this car needs to be more progressive than a Civic or Corolla. Those cars have the sensible crowd all wrapped up. Mazda knows it needs to appeal to a more emotional side. You have to have a reason to not want the standard fare, and a conservative ordinally styled car won't give any reason.
  • Options
    Like those on the Matrix and pretty much any 80-early 90s Pontiac.

The 6 is well done. So is the Audi TT. So is the Miata. So is the RX-8. None of these have extraneous lines. A tautly stretched skin with flowing lines works great for me. To me, the Motif (from the rear) looks like some Pontiac or Toyota designer (or Chris Bangle) snuck into their studio and added several extraneous lines. The front is actually kind of blah. At least they have fairly well-defined fender flares. I like those v. the smoothly-blended fender flares on most Hondas and Toyotas.

I'll have to see one in person. After all, I thought the Lexus SC430 (???) looked great in print. I thought the rear looked really ugly in person.
  • Options
    Well I am not sure what "curlie-q's" are and I don't see many "wavering cut lines." The only line I see that is kind of awkward is that of the C-pillar which I agree is like that of the Pontiac Vibe. I am not sure why designers have to add a forward slanted line back there. I guess they think it makes it look sportier or more coupe like. I would just rather have more glass back there.
  • Options
    The rest looks fine or OK to me. I agree with you on the shape and cut of the D-pillar.

On the rear quarter, I didn't like the way light was reflecting off it in the short and grainy video, but I'm reserving final judgement until I see it in person.

I hope I like the Mazda3 as much as the current Protege/P5. I think they're great vehicles (I have a sedan, my wife has a P5). I also hope it doesn't inherit the body roll inherent in the Focus chassis (that, along with other concerns/issues, kept me away from the Focus). The Focus just feels tippy to me, though it's better at soaking up big bumps. I'd rather take a stiffer ride than give up the flat and composed handling.
  • Options
    "The Focus just feels tippy to me"

You meant the American non-SVT Focus. You haven't driven the SVT yet have you? Neither have I. It's only equivalent to Europe's mid-level sport model - ST170.

Guess what, I have test driven an even rarer model - the Street Edition. It's the Euro-suspension limited edition, & only came w/ blue/red/yellow sedan or wagon w/ charcoal interior & falsely listed as available w/ stability.

My impression was that the regular Focus is too-softly tuned that it can easily use up the suspension travel on deep bumps when not slowing down. The Street Edition is obviously firmer w/o being lowered, although not likely as firm as the SVT, very much like a 3-series w/ the lowered sport suspension, which is already not absorbent enough for me.

So the Euro suspension may not be that comfortable, but might still be better than Protege's ride, & for sure it's not tippy.
  • Options
    I haven't driven an SVT version, just the regular Focus sedan.

I hope they go for the firmer settings on the 3. It'll be an interesting year for Mazda with the 6, RX-8 and 3 coming out.
  • Options
    The Focus sedan is the most "tippy" of all the Focus models I have driven. I haven't been in a wagon, but I have driven all the rest. The sedan somehow seemed taller than all the others I have tried.

The SVT was the best of course. I imagine you would have to really throw it into a corner to feel the lean that the magazines talk about. Minor issue IMO.
  • Options
    "The Focus sedan is the most "tippy" of all the Focus models I have driven."

The ones w/o the Zetec engine has one fewer sway bar. Only the sedan doesn't have this engine std. & that's probably almost all rental-car Focuses are!

In case any one of you is concern about what to do to modify the firmness of suspension by changing shocks, I posted my "4-shock comparison test" under post #3.

ANT14 "Focus Owners: Future Models" May 7, 2003 8:18pm!make=Ford&model=Focus&ed_makeindex=.ef0979b

Recently, I talked to someone who compared 3 other sets. They are '94 Protege DX OEM vs. KYB vs. Tokico high performance(high-pressure mono-tube?), which he picked for his lowered suspension.

Obviously, very firm shocks are needed to prevent a lowered suspension from using up its limited travel too soon.
  • Options
    jt78jt78 Member Posts: 2
    FYI...From MazdaUSA
    -----------------------
    Thank you for contacting Mazda North American Operations. I appreciate
    the opportunity to respond to you.

We will not have a 2004 Mazda Protegé5. It will be replaced with
    another vehicle in the same segment. It should be available this
    Fall/Winter. An announcement will be made within the next few months
    about the vehicles name and specifications. Additionally, the MAZDA6
    wagon and hatchback are slated to begin production for the U.S. during
    the first quarter of 2004.

I hope this information is useful. Please let me know if I can be of
    any further assistance.

Again, thank you for contacting Mazda. It has been my pleasure to
    assist you. If for any reason this response has not completely
    satisfied you, please feel free to reply to this message. You may also
    contact our Customer Assistance Center toll-free at 1-800-222-5500.

Please take a moment of your time to give us your opinion about our
    e-mail service. Click the link below to complete a brief, online
    survey.

Sincerely,

Staci Brock
    Specialist, Customer Assistance E-Business
  • Options
    No surprise there, the Protege & P5 are being replaced by the Mazda3 sedan & hatch.
  • Options
    You're right! We already knew that, but they just won't say it so saled of the P5 don't stall...

Dinu
  • Options
    mazfan1mazfan1 Member Posts: 26
    Mazda told me that the Mazda3 suppose to come to the U.S. Fall/Winter of this year. I also heard that Mazda will use the existing Protege engines. I hope that dont happen! I dont care what the focus use.They can use something else. I just hope Mazda put the new 2.0 liter with I think 140h.p. on base trim (i) and the Mazda6's 2.3 liter 160h.p. in the (s) trim. If the focus get the 2.3 liter then the Mazda3 should to. I like the Mazda3 10 times better anyways.
  • Options
    The 2.0L and 2.3L. I'd personally be happy with either.
  • Options
    ownersmanualownersmanual Member Posts: 11
    "Sandstorm, Mazda should be cheaper over the next five years. Toyota service is higher on just about everything the RAV-4, compared to the Hatchback, will require. That's one of the reasons I changed from Honda to Mazda and I don't regret it at all. Mazdas are every bit as reliable as their competitors."
    -fowler3

Not sure I follow the logic, Fowler. Toyota service to maintain a small SUV is more expensive then Mazda service to maintain a small wagon. Therefore, you switched from owning Honda's to owning a Mazda's.

Also, which competitors of the Mazda3 have worse reliabilty ratings. Certainly Honda and Toyota rate higher reliabilty at JD Powers and Consumer Report?
    -LT
  • Options
    riopelleriopelle Member Posts: 132
    Does anyone have any information on the availability of a 3-door hatch? It seems to be a rumor still, but I am hoping for a successor to the old 323 GTX (turbo and AWD anyone?)

Thanks.
  • Options
    "...323 GTX (turbo and AWD anyone?)"

I just read Brit's Auto Express special issue that the Volvo version - C50 - either 2 or 3 door will be competing w/ the new BMW 3-series & get a 200hp turbo 5-cyl and AWD w/ active damping system similar to their own high-performance AWD S60! A convertible & a 300hp version are also planned. Other Volvo "Focus"s include an SUV to compete w/ the BMW X3.
This discussion has been closed.