Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna 2004+

Comments

• choidschoids Member Posts: 16
    Has anyone installed VCR to a 2004 Sienna model with DVD option? When I saw a picture of DVD screen folded down, I didn't see the line-in jack. Do I need to get a different DVD player to add a VCR?
  • kgnw1kgnw1 Member Posts: 94
    RCA input is on the left side of the cabin when sitting forward inside. It's on the pillar behind the sliding door next to the normal 12 volt car outlet. You'll only have this input if you get the van with the DVD installed from the factory.

In addition to the A/V input you also get 2 110 volt A/C power outlets, again only if you get the DVD from the factory. So you won't need an A/C power invertor for your VCR, XBOX, or Playstation.
  • beckyo2beckyo2 Member Posts: 24
    If you can't find an XLE awd in MO, try zip 62002 and that will give you the IL region and a whole different range of options. I live in St. Louis but am going to Danville, IL for my LE with pkg. 7 because that's where most of them were available and I got a much better price than in or around St. Louis.

Good luck, Becky
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    Stopped with my wife this weekend to look at the Sienna (she is considering upgrading the family car). Also looked at the Volvo XC90, and boy is the Toyota bigger inside!

Anyway, a deal breaker to us (her) is the fact that she insists on a power drivers seat, which means you have to get the XLE (Guess for 27K they can't squeeze it into an LE). But, then you get the power hatch, which she hated. Plus you are over 30K now, pricey for a van.

The only one in stock was a limited, MSRP over 35K

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• broncoguybroncoguy Member Posts: 39
    I chatted with the Minneapolis District Manager yesterday and he as much as confirmed that the XLE AWD does NOT come with a moonroof.

I also talked with the dealer who had called Toyota himself to determine what the deal was with the moonroof and he is pretty convinced that when he gets his first XLE AWD on the lot (mid-May) it will have a moonroof, but he will be the first one there watching it roll off the truck to verify it for himself.

Personally, I am thinking the only way to get AWD and a moonroof is to go with a Limited. This really puts me in a quandry as the wife really wants a moonroof, but for the extra cost, I am having a hard time justifying it as the only other feature on the Limited that I want is the side curtain airbags. This equates to around a 3K jump from the XLE AWD with side curtain airbags. Tough to say a moonroof is worth that much.
  • sarniastingsarniasting Member Posts: 31
    I am not sure if Canada gets something different or not but in Canada you can get a moonroof in the XLE FWD or the XLE AWD. I have personally seen both on the dealers lot. Cannot imagine we get it in Canada and not in the US. I love the moonroof and would find it hard to get along without it after over 10 years of having one and prior to that having T bar roofs for about 10 years. Goodluck in your search.
  • jm38jm38 Member Posts: 27
    Before I order a 2004 Sienna,I see that the owners manual says it can use 87 octane, but recommends 91. Gas is too expensive to use 91 octane gasoline. Is there anyone out there who is using the 87 octane? Any problems with doing so? Thanks.
  • acedriveracedriver Member Posts: 131
    Usually, the Cost of 87 Octane fuel differs from 93 Octane by $.20. Assuming you fill up 20 gallons, that is a difference of $4.00 at every refill. 4 bucks is a small price to "treat" the engine of your $25K+ van. Also, you would get better mileage with 93 Octane and better performance.

Go with 93 Octane and brown-bag your lunch :-)

P.S: It is surprising how manufacturers recommend Octane 91 when the only ones available are 87, 89 and 93 !! :-)
  • s1ginss1gins Member Posts: 51
    Stickguy - It is amusing that you are balking at the cost of the Sienna especially since you are considering getting the Volvo. If the Sienna came in a Lexus guise would the price be easier to swallow? If you go with the Limited, I am sure the Sienna would compare very favorably to the Ford (I mean Volvo) you are looking at.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Just try both octanes. Go through a couple of tanks tracking mileage and see if it pays. If not and if the engine doesn't ping don't waste your money. Every person I have ever talked to who is in or has been in the oil industry says that if your car doesn't ping or knock use the cheapest octane.
  • jd_ottawajd_ottawa Member Posts: 20
    Maybe options differ per region. In Canada the XLE comes standard with a Sunroof.

93 Octane cost more but you get better mileage. It would be useful if someone did a comparision using both fuel types to deternmine the true cost per tank.

Anyway, assuming filling up every week of the year, the total cost is approx $200 and that assumes a 20 cent difference. I thought is was closer to 10 cents ($100 per year) but I am not sure.
  • broncoguybroncoguy Member Posts: 39
    samiasting, can you email me where you saw the XLE AWD with a moonroof? I marked my email public until I hear from you.
    Hey kgnw1,

Thanks for your info. By the way, does most of the DVD option factory installed or dealer installed? Any difference in price or workmanship? I am thinking about buying Sienna with DVD + Nav when it comes out in June or new Nissan Quest.

DC.
  • dakdikmendakdikmen Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking at the AWD version and see that it
    does not come with a spare tire. I did not notice any mounting holes either. The brochure says it's a dealer installed option, but, 3 dealers in the area don't know anything about it.

Like to have snow tires and could not find any "run flat" ones in 225/60R17 or 215/65R16!

Good snow tires make such a big difference (~3 times the traction) that I'll rather do FWD with snows than AWD with all-season's. Yet I was hopping to get AWD and snows!

-Thanks
    As far as I know right now DVD is factory installed. This is the only way to get the 110 volt and A/V inputs.

But I heard someone from the Atlanta are got theirs dealer installed. But was missing the 110 output.
    You can get the spare tire for the AWD. It's installed behind the 3rd row seat. But it prevents the seat from folding down into the floor.

Run flats are rated to hold up for 100 miles with no air. But don't know of any snow tires that are run flats.
  • bakelly11bakelly11 Member Posts: 64
    Our dealer told us it can be installed after the van arrives.
    Did the dealer say if the 2 built in 110 AC outputs are included if they install? Do you also get the RCA AV inputs as well?
    Question about the optional spare behind the 3rd row seats. If you take the spare out, can the seat go down or does the mounting bracket get in the way?

I could live with just having the spare for long winter trips and not carry it when I'm within 100 miles from home (I got AAA).

FWD have a compact spare under the car..
    Anyone find any run-flat or "nailgard" winter tires?
    So far all I found for winter tires are the following:

Winter tires size 215/65-16
    (manufacture, model, and speed rating)
    Bridgestone Blizzak WS50 Q
    Dunlop Grandtrek SJ4 LT
    Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip GW2 H
    Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice Q
    Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow T
    Pirelli Winter 210 Snowsport H
    Toyo Observe GP-4 Q
    Yokohama Geolandar I/T+ T

and in size 225/60-17
    Pirelli Winter 210 Snowsport H
    I believe if you take the spare out you can operate the seat. Haven't seen this option installed so I don't know for sure.
  • andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    Get a VCR installed under one of the seats by a professional place. If I were you, have a good place (NOT Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.) install both a DVD and VCR and screen for you. A friend of mine had his DVD & VCR with 7" widescreen installed for final price of $1,500 (tax + installation included).
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I test drove a new Sienna today, and was favorably impressed. The body lean in the corners was a little more than what I would prefer. But the ride was smooth and quiet and the power is adequate. The first and second row seats are quite comfortable. The third row headroom and legroom are adequate, although the comfort of the seat itself is marginal. The folding of the third row seat is a brilliant design. The dealer had a CE and an LE in stock, both with $2995 "ADM" on a supplemental window sticker, and another $500 for some kind of sealant or protectant. I don't think I'll be doing any business with this dealer.
    So the CE ended up costing about $27K instead of about $24K?
    It was more than that. I don't recall what options it had. I remember that the LE was over $32,000.
    Has anyone been able to compare the ride and handling of Siennas with 16 inch wheels vs 17 inch?
  • rj28462rj28462 Member Posts: 2
    It's not as simple as 16 Vs. 17.
    The AWD comes with 17" run flat tires.
    The non AWD 17" are not run flats.

There is mention that toyota softened the suspension on the AWD models to compensate for the firmness of run-flats.

I test drove an AWD Ltd, 16" FWD XLE, & 17" FWD XLE. My impression was that the AWD was very firm. This was the first one I drove and before I read about the run-flat/suspension. Next I drove the 16" FWD. Nice smooth ride. 17 FWD is a little firmer but I liked it better and that's what I bought.
    andrewtran71,
    If the DVD screen is not factory installed, how are they going to install LCD monitor up on the ceiling? I don't want them to rip apart the fabric nor run the wire outside which is visible. That's why I prefer factory installed DVD system with RCA Line-In input for the VCR to be added later. I have far too many Disney tapes than DVDs, so it is more practical to have the VCR installed.
    Thx.
    DC.
    An LE for over $32K? Have they loss their God loving minds? For $32K, you should get dual power sliding doors, heated leather seats, and NAV or DVD RES, don't you think? That's outrageous! So how much was the CE? $29K ?????????????
    That would be my concern with non-factory installed units too. However, my friend had the flip-down 7" LCD Widescreen installed on the Ceiling and I could not tell the difference! That's how impressive it was! I kid you not. You cannot see any kind of wires, screws, holes, bulky things, etc. I don't know how they did it, but it took them exactly 4 hours for these professional 3rd party to install 1) the flip-down LCD screen on the ceiling, 2) the DVD player under the right side 2nd row seat, 3) the VCR player under the left side 2nd row seat, and 4) the external antenna on the left outside of the rear window for the local television channels! It looks very impressive also because the color of the LCD unit matched the color of the interior of his Odyssey perfectly! That's very important! You don't want to have to hook RCA cables from your VCR to the DVD, do you? Those wires will be dangling while you are driving. I believe the RCA input jacks are on the ceiling, right? So where will you put the VCR? Hopefully, you will securely fasten the VCR, right? Why not install it under the seat permanently--secure and bolted?
    If I didn't see how good it looked, I wouldn't believe it myself! Hey, if you leave your e-mail on public profile, maybe I can forward the picture of the finished product for you! By the way, I own a Lexus LS400. Is that what you drive too :-) ?
    Hey andrewtran71,

I updated my profile for the public. Send me a photo if you can. I am interested. BTW, I drive SC 400. Take Care...
  • montobahnmontobahn Member Posts: 11
    Can you remove the VCR & DVD if you want to take out the seats? The nice thing about the factory unit is the DVD is built in with the screen and if you want to hook something else up, the RCA jacks are near the floor behind the 2nd row seat along with 110v.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    We can't really say the CE ended up costing $27k and the LE $32k because rcf8000 didn't actually buy the van there. We could say that the dealer was asking $27k for a CE and $32k for a LE, and if someone were actually stupid enough to pay the $3500 in dealer-added charges, then we could say the CE cost $27k or the LE cost $32k. If more prospective buyers act as rcf8000 did, maybe this kind of dealer behavior will stop.
    I totally agree with you. I wouldn't get any of those options either.
    True, but if you want factory installed DVD you have to order the XLE or Limited because the CE and LE are dealer installed DVD/VCR units. The same with leather---if you want FACTORY installed, you have to order the XLE or Limited. Otherwise, if you want just the LE or CE and save money, you will get dealer installed, which is a rip-off so you might as well take it to a professional 3rd party yourself. I think we can all agree that any dealer installed option is a total rip-off. But you are right about the units under the seats. If you remove the seats, the units are bolted to the floors and you would have to unscrew a lot of stuff. So if you plan on removing your seats anytime in the future, I would go with the XLE and get dealer installed DVD RES, which is a lot nicer.
  • momofthreemomofthree Member Posts: 35
    how can you tell if they are dealer or factory installed? I thought you can get the LE w/#8 was factory with the 110v outlets? At least that is the way I was able to configure it on Toyota.com w/ zip 20147 ( northern VA)
  • cjo87cjo87 Member Posts: 35
    Does anyone have information regarding how the AWD systems compare between the XLE Sienna AWD and the Pilot EX?
  • chesapeake2chesapeake2 Member Posts: 1
    We just ordered the LE #8,with the factory installed DVD package,and we are in the same region.
    You said you ordered one, but you have not seen it yet. I hope you are right and I hope it is a factory installed DVD instead of a 3rd party or PORT installed dvd. Some car sales persons will tell you anything to sell you the Sienna. Did you specifically ask him if the DVD is Factory installed and NOT PORT or DEALER installed? Even if you did ask him, he could easily say, "Well, that's what they told me!" Then what will you do? That's one scary thing about buying such a new product without actually seen it in person. I mean the PORT or DEALER installed unit will look just as good as the factory installed, but it won't say "Toyota" on it and it may or may not have those extra RCA inputs on the door panels or close to the floor areas.
  • leknlekn Member Posts: 78
    cjo87 wrote:
    > Does anyone have information regarding how the
    > AWD systems compare between the XLE Sienna AWD
    > and the Pilot EX?

Sienna's system should be theoretically better. But keep in mind that real life implementation is often more important than the basic principle of the AWD system.

Sienna uses open differentials + traction control. Normal drive is 50/50 split between front wheels and rear wheels. Pilot uses VTM-4, the same system as MDX. It basically is front biased; so it is practically a FWD drive car under normal driving condition. VTM-4 would transfer torque to rear wheel under slipping condition, and under certain pre-programmed condition such as when accelerating.

So Sienna is a genuine "full time AWD"; whereas Pilot's system is closer to "part-time with automatic engaging AWD". And with Sienna's 50/50 split, the situations which demand torque transfer by the AWD system is less likely to happen.

In real life, I think Pilot's system should work well. But the real difference is Sienna's VSC (Vehicle Stability Control). This system really works and would correct skidding/oversteer/understeer (while you cannot defy the law of physics if the speed is too high). AWD + VSC + Winter Tires is the best combination current technology could offer.

The lack of VSC (or VSA for Honda) is a major omission in the Pilot.
  • momofthreemomofthree Member Posts: 35
    I always look at the Monronney label on the passenger side. If is is factory shouldn't it list on the option side of this sticker, with the vin matching the vehicle? I can understand if the dealer installs and it is not listed, but if I see #8 on the van's sticker and it looks exactly like the one in the brochure. Should I still be suspicious?
    As posted on "what did you pay" I just put my deposit down on the Le-7 with #8 for a very good price. I was told 2-4 weeks, so we will see.
    "LE Package #1 -- rear-seat audio system, HomeLink®3 universal transceiver, overhead multi-information display and passenger-side power sliding door"

Does anyone know if this comes with any headphones? How many? Dealers don't seem clear on this.

Thanks,
    bev
  • beckyo2beckyo2 Member Posts: 24
    headphones are not included but are an $80 option, that is per pair. You can also buy them at any electronics store.

Becky
    I just stopped into the dealer. You are right. Sounds like I can get them cheaper at an electronics store. I'll wait and see if I would actually use them first. Might go and pick them up later.
  • cjo87cjo87 Member Posts: 35
    Thanks, lekn, for info on the Sienna and Pilot systems.
    A follow-on: does the toyota system then reduce power to wheels that are slipping, or is the system just full-time 50/50 split? One of the appealing things about the pilot's system is that you can lock it in at low speeds to a 50/50 split, giving you something extra to get out of a bad situation. One could argue that the full-time 50/50 split might avoid that need, but it seems any vehicle can eventually need a little extra assistance (or less wheel spin) to get out of trouble.
    > does the toyota system then reduce power to wheels
    > that are slipping, or is the system just full-time
    > 50/50 split?

Torque is transferred to the non-slipping wheels, so the split is variable. They have not mentioned specs on maximum torque transfer.

> One of the appealing things about the pilot's
    > system is that you can lock it in at low speeds
    > to a 50/50 split

I believe that the maximum torque Pilot's VTM-4 can transfer to the rear is 55%; that's more or less the same as Sienna under normal driving condition :-) . THe VTM-4 Lock or differential lock is more necessary in front biased system (e.g. Pilot; as you need wheel slipping before torque transfer takes place) or AWD systems without left/right limited slipping (in one or both axles).

Sienna's system is capable of transferring most of the torque to a single non-slipping wheel. So you won't get stuck even if you have one wheel on gripping surface. But if you do get stuck in a Sienna, the chance is that availability of a lock won't help you either.
  • danjaecksdanjaecks Member Posts: 54
    I was told by the parts person at the local Toyota dealer that the run flats for the AWD Sienna cost $270 each to replace (ouch). Other tire dealers that I called do not stock this tire perhaps because it only fits the Sienna AWD.
    Also he said that his technician who went to the Toyota school on the 2004 Sienna said you cannot mount any other tires on the vehicle because of the sensors in the wheel or something that the parts guy didn't understand. For instance, you couldn't use a spare tire even if you paid extra (about $300) to get one.
    This sounds like a misunderstanding to me, maybe the tech meant you cannot mount any other tires on the run flat rims? So if you want to replace the run flats with regular tires or winter tires you need to replace the wheels also. Or maybe he meant that a small spare would trigger the tire pressure warning light, which you could just ignore till you got your regular tire fixed.
    I was interested in putting a spare tire in the trunk and switching from the run flats, because of their cost and limited availability and 100 mile life span when flat. And to get a better winter tire.
    Has anyone else researched this problem and what did you find out??
    Thanks
    Sienna's run flat uses standard rim and reinforced side wall run flat tires. So you can just replace the tires if you want.

Actually, Toyota does have a space saving spare tire option for the AWD. It comes with a mounting bracket to seat the tire in the well behind 3rd row (the seat cannot be folded down when the tire is there). But nobody seems to have seen one, so I don't have any more information as to how it looks like or how it works. So using a spare tire has to be possible; just not sure if it is any different from other spare tires.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Three open differentials result in 50/50 (25/25/25/25) torque split in ONLY one circumstance....

When all wheels/tire have EQUAL traction, high or low. If equal traction all around then 25/25/25/25 will be the norm.

Absent some additional device or capability with simply three open differentials the instant slippage occurs ALL of the engine torque is routed to the wheel or wheels with the LEAST traction.

Most everyone I know that has purchased an AWD or 4WD passenger vehicle did so primarily for those times when all around traction is NOT likely to be equal. Three open diff'ls alone is USELESS.

Something more is needed.

The Highlander and the RX300 use a viscous coupling.

But to avoid the additional expense of providing actual AWD capability in the RX300 and the Highlander T/L used a viscous coupling across the center differential that's always FLACCID, never stiffens up enough to raise the torque distribution ratio above about 75/25 F/R, and was measured to be about 90/10 F/R at the initial onset of slippage.

See the viscous coupling AWD design in the Chrysler T&C for a more complex but "working" AWD design. And please do not take that statement as an overall endorsement of the Chrysler.

I cannot confirm for the Sienna, but both the out-going RX300 and the new RX330 use differing front and rear final drive ratios to unbalance the engine torque distribution F/R. For the RX300 I was initially told 70/30 F/R torque distribution. I was recently informed by Lexus that the RX330 will also use differing F/R final drive ratios.

The new RX330, like the Mercedes ML and Toyota Sequoia, and likely the Sienna, uses the ABS pump to provide brake fluid pressurization for a "virtual" AWD system. If a wheel, or wheels, begin to slip, then the brake for those wheels is applied in moderation to maintain roughly equal traction "virtually" all around.

The "fly" in this particular ointment is the possibility of over-taxing and/or over-heating the electrically powered low capacity and low duty-cycle ABS pump.

Other than ABS itself the pump on my 01 AWD RX300 is only used for VSC/Trac. Even so I have had it time out and become inoperative upon getting the RX slightly sideways on a muddy and wet dirt road.

There is a post somewhere abouts indicating that the Sequoia's AWD capability only lasts for about 30 to 45 seconds before the ABS pump protection time-out disables the AWD functionality.

I suspect the RX330 and the Sienna will have about the same AWD capability, 30 to 45 seconds of continuous "virtual" AWD capability before the duty-cycle of the ABS pump is exceeded.

On my RX300 it took about 10 to 15 minutes for the time-out to be automatically reset and again have VSC/Trac capability.
    A few clarifications:
    > I was recently informed by Lexus that the RX330
    > will also use differing F/R final drive ratios.

RX330 also has 50/50 split during normal driving.

> possibility of over-taxing and/or over-heating
    > the electrically powered low capacity and low
    > duty-cycle ABS pump.

There was some concern when this type of AWD system was first introduced into the market. But as demonstrated by BMW X5 and Mercedes ML, this has NOT been a problem even for OFF ROAD use. So for ON ROAD use, the chance of that is even lower.

> Other than ABS itself the pump on my 01 AWD RX300
    > is only used for VSC/Trac. Even so I have had it
    > time out and become inoperative upon getting the
    > RX slightly sideways on a muddy and wet dirt
    > road.

I can't see how that is possible other than some mechanical problem with your car. VSC uses both engine power reduction and ABS pump; but only for a very brief seconds (usually fraction of a second). I really can't see how you can have VSC active continuously for it to overheat.

Mind you, the use of ABS brake by VSC or traction control is much less than if you are actually braking! So are you saying that the ABS would stop working after the use of brakes for less than a minute? I have not heard or seen any reports about this at all.

> I suspect the RX330 and the Sienna will have
    > about the same AWD capability, 30 to 45 seconds
    > of continuous "virtual" AWD capability before the
    > duty-cycle of the ABS pump is exceeded.

Please don't speculate unless you are sure of this. This does not sound right. This type of AWD system is used by BMW X5, 3 series AWD, Mercedes ML, and all the 4-matic systems including S class. There have been extensive testing of X5 and ML in off road course, where they have to negotiate difficult terrains for extensive period of time CONTINUOUSLY with no apparent difficulties. I do not expect Sienna to be any different.

Not use why you use the term "virtual". It is a effective system, may not be the best, but definitely better than viscous coupling or some "part time" front biased system.
This discussion has been closed.