Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy TrailBlazer Transmission Problems

Comments

• robiedrobied Member Posts: 4
    My 2000 Trailblazer had to have the transmission replaced. When the problem initially happened, I was pulling into traffic so I was moving rather quickly - I heard a loud sound (thought it was a truck behind me) and all of a sudden the car was very sluggish when it shifted. I went for groceries and went to back up and had no reverse. Fortunately, I was able to drive over the parking lot dividers. I had my mechanic check it....he said it was definitely transmission trouble. I had it towed to a transmission shop and they gave me the actual parts that had to be replaced. One was the sun shield. That was the failure. The steel on the "teeth" was not hardened by the folks that made it - hence the failure.
  • fordfan_17fordfan_17 Member Posts: 175
    this transmission has been around since 1982 it predisessor was called a 700R4 its still the same trans internally (some changes but still same basic operation).The "Reaction Shell" aka sunshell has been a weak link in this trans since its inception in 1982. there is however a cure for this problem but it will never be offered by any dealership since it is an aftermarket part.here is the only symptom connected with "reaction shell" failure.
    trans will shift really late and will have 1st and 3rd only, 2nd 4th and rev will be missing.
    the cure for this problem is called "THE BEAST" and is a aftermarket hardened steel shell that is twice the thickness as the oem part.
    I install "the beast" in every one of these transmissions i rebuild to avoid further failures in this area
    the other weak link in this transmission is the 3-4 clutch pack I noticed a few posts concerning the trans shifting from 2nd and then high engine rpm's(neutraling). if you are experiencing this problem the trans will have to be rebuilt. this transmission unless very late model comes with 6 frictions in the 3-4 clutch pack there is some aftermarket clutch kits offered by raybestos that will increase the amount of frictions in this clutch pack to 9 I would also recommend that you have the 9 clutch pack installed if you have to have a rebuild. the later model (4L65E) comes with 7 frictions in the 3-4 but can also be upgraded to 9 frictions.

Harsh shifting: if you experience this problem in 1994 and up transmissions it is normally based upon a valvebody problem with the torque converter regulator valve wearing out and leaking by the valve. it normally will set a code 1870 (trans component slipping) if handled as soon as the problem shows up it can be remedied by a aftermarket fix offered by www.sonnax.com and involves valvebody removal (not a overhaul) and 1 valve being removed and bored out and replaced with a new valve.

todays new vehicles are supposedly built with fuel mileage and and overall economy based theries. what has actually happened is the manufacturers have gone using aluminum valvebodies and valves to "lighten the load" these valves and valve bodies wear severely creating all sorts of "oil circuit integrity" problems. please feel free to visit www.sonnax.com and have a look at just how many different fixes are offered for almost EVERY transmission on the road today. or drop by my carspace page for some more info on todays transmissions and thier problems
  • shooter81shooter81 Member Posts: 4
    Try putting it on the computer. Mine did the same thing and we had to replace both TCC soleniods. This requires tearing back into the trans.
    My chevy trailblazer LS 04' . The rear ac will not shut off even with the engine not running any remmides? I've allready pulled the fuse.
  • biglar25biglar25 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 02 Trailblazer w/79000 miles 2 months ago and all of a sudden while I was driving the "service engine soon" light came on so I decided to go to autozone and get it checked out and the diagnostic code states that it's the 1-2 shift solenoid valve performance. The car is perfectly driving normal and is starting normal and it seems like nothing is really wrong the car. So I decided to take the car to the transmission shop and they informed me that they would have to take the whole transmission out and take it apart to fix it which will be anywhere from $500-$1,800. So I decided to wait until I get some feedback to what I should do. I am so upset because I just purchased this TB 2 months ago and this happens. I don't have a warranty because I didn;t purchase the extended warranty. Can anybody tell me what should I do?
  • ticadooticadoo Member Posts: 40
    I have a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer, LT, extended, that I bought in 2/08, with 60,000 miles on it, and have had nothing but PROBLEMS with it. It had a 3 month, 3,000 mile warranty, BUT it was in and out of the shop for weeks at a time less than a week after I purchased it.

Now, the transmission sounds like it is having a hard time shifting gears. Even though it was May before I got my vehicle back from the dealer/shop, they won't even consider having the transmission looked at, much less pay for it. I would really appreciate any suggestions/comments Thanks
  • lbrandy40lbrandy40 Member Posts: 2
    Well, I'm sorry to say that all of us that have experienced this problem has had to have our transmission rebuilt. I have a 2002 which I bought with 8 miles on it, which is in the shop right now getting redone. Apparently there is some part, called the sunshell, that is a really weak piece of crap. Which tends to break. I haven't heard anything from the garage that I took mine to last week, but they were not surprised. But since you have so much problems with yours I would really recommend that you give your dealership a good tongue lashing. Since they have had it so much out of the 3 months that you have had it. It really is up to them, but GM does give each dealership so much money a year, from what I hear, for this goodwill assistance program. But it is totally up to the dealership. If you have no luck there I would highly recommend you talking to a lawyer. Sorry to say. I wish you luck. I'll let everyone know what the garage says. Due to get mine back anyday now.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Have a look at post 320 if you haven't already. Some good info and advice there.
  • kathy29kathy29 Member Posts: 7
    I was wondering if you could tell me how to find out what transmission I have in my 02 Trailblazer? I guess I am trying to learn if my transmission is one day going to quit on me. I have about 16,000 miles on the Trailblazer (yes the mileage is correct).

I have taken my truck into dealership while under warranty due to my experiencing revving engine (high rpm) at start-up (hot or cold) then after about two blocks or so driving (very little power) the transmission then shifts and the truck runs normal. The dealership said they could not find the problem even after they sent me off twice with a box hooked up which was supposed to record the problem as I pushed buttons in sequences when the problem was happening. Dealership said both times that nothing was showing recorded on this box and they could not help me. Naturally now Aug 2008 I am out of warranty but the problem still happens intermittently. I appreciate your help and thanks for the post.
  • edjonzeedjonze Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 TB with some type of shifting problem. It seems be starting off in second gear. From second gear and up it shifts fine.I put it in a low gear and it got stuck there for a while. Shifting to reverse is kind of harsh. Some one tell me what is going on
  • football1football1 Member Posts: 1
    Don't do it, I have a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer and I just started having problems with my transmission. It shifts but jerks real hard when it does. Normally it does'nt start the jerking until I have driven it for a while. It's like once it warms up it starts jerking when pulling out from a stop sign, red light etc; We called the dealership yesterday eveing to see if we could disconnect the battery thinking it could be electronic. We were told it wouldn't hurt anything but he didn't think that would do any good. The warranty is up, he said to bring it in and they would put it on the diagnostic machine. My husband ask if they had a lot of trouble with the transmissions in these vehicles and with no straight answer he said they have had some. He also ask if we bought the vehicle from their dealership. My question is, if this is an on going issue with the Chevy Trailblazer can there not be a class action suit or a recall on this transmission they continue to install in the Chevy's? Thanks Gator Mom
  • akhenatenakhenaten Member Posts: 4
    We have a 2007 TB that has a Stabilitrak malfunction. While driving, the car applies the brakes...no warning...dry pavement...wet pavement...no curves...Cruise on or off!!! We are terrified to drive this vehicle. It is a lease and neither GM nor Graff Chevrolet in Okemos will do anything about it until GM issues a service bulletin. They do not even know why it is doing this so how can they release a service bulletin. They will not release us from the lease nor will they supply an alternative vehicle for the remaining term of the lease. No loaner either!!! The service manager, Matt, told me to be quiet when I told him how angry and scared I was. If there is some kind of legal help available, I sure would like to know. In the meantime, we tell everyone about how we have been treated and warn them to avoid GM at all costs. Our lives are literally at stake and they don't care.
    I might also add that our TB is not the only one that is doing this but it seems to be a BIG secret.
  • chuvak2030chuvak2030 Member Posts: 1
    I don't what is happening, maybe it is the engine or transmission because when the car gets hot in the middle of the day than it would switch to a 4 gear and it would always be around 3,000 rpms when you go 65 or 70 just straight road.
    And when it is cold it works perfectly fine. 6 cyl 4.2
    Please help thank you.
    Thanks for the reply. I think Chevy should issue a recall on the problem. I have found out that there several sensors in the trans that could cause the problem, and they are not cheap to replace. Ours is doing the same thing that yours is doing. So in that sence I think we should all fill a complaint with whom ever we need to. If you know who that is send me a message.
  • ticadooticadoo Member Posts: 40
    I would like to file a complaint with Chevy also...any body have the contact info?
  • go3874go3874 Member Posts: 1
    i got my 2003 trailblazer in 04 and it was ok until last few months when i had to replace the fan clucth and right after that the transmission started shifting real hard from parking position. then two months ago it stopped working while i was on the freeway. the mechanic opened it up and found engine coolant had rusted some transmission parts. i had bought a third party warranty. but because the mechanic can't pinpoint the exact mechanical failure (don't know how the fluid got in there), the warranty company won't cover water intrusion. now we have to pay 3k out of pocket to rebuilt the transmission. but from seeing all kinds of horror stories online i wonder if it's worth the gamble to fix.
  • melody7melody7 Member Posts: 1
    Trans seems to shake vehicle when in overdrive traveling 50 to 60 mph, can pull out of overdrive into 3rd and the shaking stops. It's like it's not locked up completely.
    Have not carried back to dealership as yet, planning to next week, Any ideas what this issue might be and how big a transmission problem is this.
    Thanks for your imput.
  • kintrakintra Member Posts: 1
    Oh my gosh!!! I have been looking for some info on the same thing.I also have a 02 Trailblazer and this past Wednesday(09.10.08) my transmission ...I can't even say what happened.I was on my way to work when I started to merge right and noticed smoke coming from what I thought was the car behind me.As, it turns out it was me!! I then noticed my car not shifting good at all.I pulled over and transmission fliud was leaking everywhere.I only have 53,000 miles on my car and it was a lease that I bought last October.I called my sales person back and even called the Chevy dealership to check for any recalls.My car is at my job...awaiting a tow to the dealership,now.I hope this isn't going to be too expensive or even worth the trouble. :sick: :lemon:
    Hi kintra,

You posted your problem i.e Sep 12, 2008 (3:11 pm) talking about your smoking 02 Trailblazer...sorry to hear about it , but you replied to my post that has nothing to do with my 02 Trailblazer smoking. You may want to reply to the person or posting who's 02 Trailblazer was also smoking.

Watch those dealership's too! Many are know to lie and it sounds like your extended warranty provider may be being dishonest or did not completely get the low down on it all prior to denial of your claim.

I also learned that car dealerships get money from the manufacturers for the dealership to offer to customers what they call "complimentary service". This complimentary service is for say service for vehicles that are out of warranty and still experiencing problems that were there say prior to the warranty expiration and or major things like replacing transmissions even if a vehicle is say 5 years old. With this complimentary service the dealership will fix or have fixed the vehicle and will split the cost of the repair with the customer.
    Fordfan_17 Where are you? Please respond to my reply!

First reply and question to you from kathy29 on Aug 1, 08 (4:51 pm). Have not heard from you since.

I still need to know how to determine what transmission is in my 02 Trailblazer. Once I find out what transmission I have in my 02 Trailblazer I want to do some research on this transmission. I appreciate your help.
    Hi mstarr13,

I have a good question for you since you discussed for one posting that you thought this person's particular problem may not be the transmission but could be the Fan Clutch. I am here to ask you knowing little to nothing about cars or trucks but am not a dummy to learn, what does a Fan Clutch do? Is there a working relationship between the Fan Clutch and the Transmission?

My 02 Trailblazer intermittently (not all the time) at start up in park hot or cold will run high rpm's about 1100, sound as though it is racing and will not idle down even after, one time I waited for 15 minutes. When I put it into drive then drive there is little to no power but it will drive. Then after driving about two blocks the truck will shift and run normally. Under warranty dealership said they could not repeat the problem and could not help me. It is now six years after I bought the vehicle new and this intermittent problem still exists. I really would like to know what it is and why it could not be found on the recorder my dealership installed for me to use when the problem was happening. The recorder was hooked up somehow to my truck and I was supposed to push buttons in particular sequence and or at the same time (I can't remember) but the recorder was supposed to record that particular instance at the time. Dealership put two different recorders in my truck and they said neither recorded the problem and I did verify with them I was using it correctly. I appreciate any information that you can provide to help me. I only have 17,000 miles on my 02 Trailblazer. Yep that is correct 17 K did not drive for a few years.
  • notogm1notogm1 Member Posts: 2
    Failure of Transmission on 9-3-08. I have a 2002 Trailblazer LT 4WD. I nearly had a collision with an oncoming car because of loss of power as I turned left and tried to accelerate across the centerline. My car would no longer move forward or in reverse. The car was towed to a transmission shop. They told me that it was the failure of the Sun Shell, a $39 dollar part. The entire ordeal cost me over $3600.00 and climbing. The failure of the sun shell sheared off the cheap gears and the fragments filtered through my transmission causing more damage. My car had 76,094 miles on it at the time. The owners’ manual states that service for the transmission is not due until 100,000 miles. I thought I was buying a dependable car. This, I consider a major safety issue. If I were in traffic on the freeway and the transmission failed I would have been in serious trouble. I can only imagine what would have happened if was in the path of a semi truck. In the name of safety and the consumers’ pocket books that fund this engineering gaff, I think this issue should evoke serious consideration by the NHTSA to enforce a recall of the Sun Shell transmission part in all GM cars. I urge all with this sun shell transmission part issue to file a formal complaint with the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration)
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ Your complaint will add to the growing list of complaints on the transmission failure, or any other problem, and force GM to issue a recall. I have had issues with seat belts, wiper motors, tail lights with melted receptacles, head lights not turning on, fog lights not turning on, exhaust leaks, and engine valve noise. Some have recalls and have been fixed, but I already paid for the car once and don't feel it is my or anyone else's responsibility to pay for research and development after the final sale of the car. Do you homework GM. You just lost another customer.
  • kymms39kymms39 Member Posts: 4
    Well I am a female with a child and my only means of Trasportation and now I am sitting here with my whole front in of my SUV tore apart. We thought it was a Flywheel and with further invesigation it appears as I need a entire transmission. My Dad told me I am screwed there are metal shavings all through out the transmission. I have no idea what to do with this piece of crap truck. I don't owe anything on it so my only choice it to try and find a rebuilt, or used transmission. Does anybody have any suggestions??????? I live in MI and really need my truck fixed !! :confuse:
    I have found out that there was a saftey recall on some year model Trailblazers for failure of the the sun gear and shell. Just something you might check in on could save you some money.
  • 02tblazer02tblazer Member Posts: 1
    Me and my girlfriend have had our 02 TB for 1yr. we got it from an individual who claimed it had 30,000m. on it, Also said that there was no problems with the suv. So we believed him and went on to purchase the truck. we got it in the winter and it drove great. then along come spring and I noticed the temp hand getting warm, come to find out it had a bad clutch fan and a blown head gasket. We had a small shop fix it $1800.00 (outch). Also got a new waterpump $150 new thermostat $50. So after that we now find out it had a bad torque converter. In the mix of all this we go to a toyota dealership to try an trade it on a 4runner, they pull a carfax on our trailblazer and is had been wrecked in a front-end collison. We find out also on the carfax that it really had 120,000 miles on it. So the instrument cluster had been changed. But to make a long story short everytime we fix something on it, something else goes wrong with it, and the repairs are very expensive. What do we do. Anyone have any advice. PLEASE HELP. And, today I went to the gas station an got $5 in gas and drive to my friends house to leave, and the junk wouldn't start. I think I pumped water. will find out tomorrow.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Have you thought about dumping it? Just be sure to do a CarFAX on whatever you decide to replace it with.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • rfc1rfc1 Member Posts: 1
    any idea what the NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number is for this recall? I searched the database and could not find a recall for any year model.

My 2002 Trailblazer LT has 106,000 miles. Crapped out on my on way to work this morning, when I heard a loud sound then a whining from the transmission. Wasn't able to get it into 3rd or reverse. .Dealer dx need to replace sun shield (or sun shell?) and price quote is around $1100. GREAT. :mad:

I've had this vehicle since brand new, faithfully changing oil and taking in for recommended services. To date, have had to fix suspension, brake lamps, and noisy hood latch. Since paying it off and deciding to drive it til it dies, have ignored the following which no longer work: rear washer/wiper, 4WD (yes, a 4x4 that doesn't work!), non-working dash lights. Lots of other crappy things like very noisy windows when cruising and numbers chipped off radio dials.
  • cwp0_1cwp0_1 Member Posts: 1
    My 06 is doing the same thing. Any one know what the problem turned out to be ? Just on the highway @ 60MPH drops in and out of OD. I hope this is not a big problem.
  • berdman21berdman21 Member Posts: 8
    I have an 06 Envoy that is having the same issue. I was driving home from a thanksgiving vacation up I95 with my cruise set at 75 and all the sudden the truck began to slow and the RPM's went up to redline. Got off to the shoulder and tried to go again. Had first gear if I manually shifted it, but that was all. Stopped again and then started up. Shifted from first to second, but would not go into third. Had to drive in second gear up I95 for about 2 miles to the next exit. Truck had to be towed to a dealership in NC 700 miles away from my house. Now my family and I are stuck sitting here until it gets diagnosed on monday. Hopefully when I call GM Customer Service they will help me out a little.
  • FrustratedinPAFrustratedinPA Member Posts: 2
    I can tell you with absolute certainty that GM Customer Service will not help you. They will lead you on and make you believe that they are working for you, a GM customer, but they do NOTHING. GM has no loyalty to their customers whatsoever. I had the same thing happen to my '02 Trailblazer, which only has 57,000 miles on it. It was the sun shell. I called GM and did everything they told me to do...take it to a GM service department to have a diagnostic performed - totally at my cost by the way...$350.00 just to take the transmission apart. Then, I went through 3 weeks of GM Customer Service hell. I talked to no less than 7 different people over the course of those 3 weeks and not one of them would give me an answer. I was actually convinced at one point that my "district representative" as they called her, didn't even exist because every time I would call this woman, she was never in, and I would leave her message after message and she would never call me. After 3 weeks, they decided to deny my claim because of the age of the car and the mileage. I argued that 57,000 miles on an '02 was pretty damn good and should be working in my favor, not against it. I also brought up the technical service bulletin that GM had issued on this very part. She decided to talk to the rep again and make sure they had all of this information when they made their decision. Another week goes by and I heard from my dealership, not the rep, that they agreed to pay only for the part that went bad. The dealership tried to push this person into paying for the whole thing because, had their part not failed, my transmission would not be in the condition that it was in. He refused and left, leaving the dealership to deliver the news. It was going to cost us $1800 to rebuild the transmission, in addition to the $350 for the diagnostic. We get a call from the dealership the next day telling us that there was so much damage to the inside of the transmission that they will need to replace a lot of the parts which will cost us about the same amount as a new transmission...$4000. Long story short, we opt to get a used transmission because that's about all our budget will allow. End of story, right? WRONG! A few weeks after I pick up my car, I receive a call from a manager at GM Customer Service apologizing to me for how poorly I was treated and how GM does not operate that way. She told me that she was going to re-open my case and really "try to get something for me by way of reimbursement". Three weeks of GM Customer Service hell again, and I get a call saying they're denying my claim because of the age of the car and the mileage...I only have 57,000 miles on this vehicle. You would think they would at least try to come up with a new excuse to deny this, but that would take some work on their part. Oh, and the best part...they offered me a $300 gift certificate towards the purchase of a new GM vehicle. Thanks GM, but no thanks. I told her what she would do with her certificate because I will NEVER purchase GM again. I'm in the process of consulting an attorney on this matter now. Good luck with your endeavor. Hope it works out better than mine.
  • tntagttntagt Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Trailblazer LT EXT 4X4. The front wheels locked up on me. Has this happened to anyone else?
  • biglinkbiglink Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the link my transmission went out twice at 65k and then again at 80k.
    Funny you say that since my transmission did not go bad until after the check engine light was on with a cracked gas tank. T did not get the gas tank fixed because they wanted $600.00 and then a couple of months later they had a recall.
    My 03EXT first transmission went out with just over 70k and then 16mo (3 days before christmas) later went out again. No help from GM. I have owned a 99 Blazer and 02 Trailblazer with no real issues however this 03 has had numerous from cracked gas tank to catalytic converter going out as well as now having loud engine noise!
    My 03EXT has had the transmission rebuilt twice in less than 2years and less than 20k miles. The last time I was told that water or radiator fluid had got in and destroyed everything. They could not explain how the water got in and with that can't guarantee that it won't happen a 3rd time.
  • hatetrailblazrhatetrailblazr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer - bought it brand new. Has 44,000 miles (JUST over the warrenty) and I CANNOT get the car to go into ANY 4 wheel drive. Not hi, not lo, not auto. PLUS my gas level needle just quit working today! My trailblazer is a piece of junk! this is only the latest problems. Anyone else have problems with the 4 wheel drive not working?? I called the dealer they said they haven't heard of any problems and I checked online, the envoy was recalled for transmission problems.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Where did you find that the Envoy had been recalled for transmission problems? There have been many problems reported on this board but no one has ever been able to link to an actual recall. Does your 4WD switch light illuminate? My light went out with a concurrent lack of operation of anything other than 2WD. I took my 2002 Envoy to the dealer, who hooked it up to the computer and reflashed the transfer case control module. The lights on the switch came back on and it has worked fine ever since. If you find a link to a transmission recall please post it as I am certain that there are a number of people who would like to know about it. Thanks.
  • KUQUEKUQUE Member Posts: 8
    Have a 2002 TB LT. Bought new with 28mi. Have not had much trouble with it other than the recalled items, which were replaced. In 2006 replaced the fan clutch which was causing the trany to shift at high RPMs. Dealer wasn't able to figure out problem, but a small operation mech. was able to tell me it was the fan clutch and how it was affecting my trany. Have new problem come up that has me baffled. Since replacing the fan clutch have not had any problems. New problem just started a few days ago. The dipstick to the trany is being pushed open and trany fluid is leaking out. What is causing the dipstick to pop up? :confuse:
  • vglennvglenn Member Posts: 1
    How hard is it to switch out the transmission for an 02 TB 4wd., I am not rebuilding I am going to take the old one out and install new one. Any help would be great
  • mnizzomnizzo Member Posts: 1
    I relize this is an old message I am responding to. I hope you get this. What happened to you 2006 Trailblazer - we are having the same problem - just as you explained

Trying to decide if we should fix it and how much it could cost.

thanks for your help
  • kymms39kymms39 Member Posts: 4
    Hello I hope I can help you I got lucky when my dad who is a mechanic did some checking on ebay ( I don't do anything with ebay) but he was able to find a salvage yard in Grand Rapids MI for $650.00 then one of his buddies at the dealership installed it at his house... so since I have the blazer paid off I did decide to fix it. Had I not had all these on my side I probably wouldn't have fixed it if I had to make payments or not had the ebay guy. Hope this helps
  • bmw28bmw28 Member Posts: 1
    2004 Trailblazers all owned by different people are having the same problem ... The transmission dip stick is rusting and breaking off and water getting into the transmissions and making the transmissions to go out . This is NOT Walmart. It's a manufacture defect that needs to be checked out and possibly a recall . We all need Help on this one. :mad:
  • taluhlabelle12taluhlabelle12 Member Posts: 6
    hi, i had the transmission problem a while ago..........post #197.......i did not receive anything in the mail regarding a recall on the gas tank. can you please tell me when you received this recall......as far as i know i have no problem with the gas tank except that the truck uses way too much gas.........i only get approx. 200 miles per full tank. not good!!!!!
  • taluhlabelle12taluhlabelle12 Member Posts: 6
    hi,
    i got my transmission fixed and got GM to actually pay for it, im thinking i got lucky with the dealership that i bought it from as they would not take no for an answer..........anyway GM gave me a warranty for 6 yrs and 72K miles.......obviously i have an 02 so the "new" warranty is expired.........can you please send me the link that shows the safety recall for the sun gear/sun shell?
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    There is NO recall for the sun gear/sun shell. It has been a problem, but there has never been a recall on it.
  • mobafry123mobafry123 Member Posts: 1
    how much did it cost to replace the sun gear?my 03 trailblazer just quit moving ,period!!!i can shift to any gear and it wont even try to move.i called the gm dealer and he said its probably the sun shell which i'm assuming is the same thing as the sun gear.the dealer also told me the transmission would need rebuilt if that was the problem.
    thanks in advance
  • notogm1notogm1 Member Posts: 2
    Once the sun shell gear shears off it leaves a nasty mess that filters through your entire transmission and therefor needs to be totally gone through. The cost is between $2200 and $3500 depending on the shop your dealing with. It is true that there is no recall on the sun shell and I found the the dealers will not admit it. I spoke to a few mechanics and one said he does 4 per month at the dealership. GM is sloughing off they research and development to the general public and WE end up with the bill. I had an extended warranty which covered the bill and then I had another $6000.00 worth of various warranty work done including electrical, and timing chain repair by GOOD Chevrolet in Renton, Washington who botched a simple engine light problem. They opened the front of my engine incorrectly and moved my timing chain... didn't want to repair it correctly and handed it back to me. I drove it off the lot and brought it right back. They tried to stick me with a $3400.00 bill. I had it towed to another dealer and they unraveled the story with pictures and an inspector from my insurance company. My 2002 Trailblazer is the worst car I have owned. I will think long and hard before I buy GM again and I have owned 3 of them. Hope your repair is cheaper than mine.
  • robiedrobied Member Posts: 4
    It cost me $2000 to have the transmission rebuilt and I got the used parts from the transmission shop. You could actually see where the sun shield/sun gear failed. Evidently when GM got these parts, they were not "hardened". The new ones (not sure what year they started the "new ones") have been hardened so that part is not supposed to fail.
  • hpd152hpd152 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 05 blazer with the v8 engine. I am having a problem with it not shifting into third gear. I have tried to manually shift it into third and it still won't up shift. My wife has said she has felt the engine surging, I have not. It only has 45000 miles on it. I have read only a few messages on here so if this is a repost I am sorry.
    I called the dealership and they seem to have idea of any transmission problems with the 05's. Any ideas?
  • jim317jim317 Member Posts: 1
    At only 63000 miles transmission is gone no towing no abuse, (only the 1st and reverse works). Did talk to GM but just lost a week of time going thru the "case reps and managers) calling centers outside of US. GM pays them cents on the dollar. GM has trained them how to talk and what to say. It is sad to realize what customer means for GM.
    It is real sad to see how GM has become, Goverment (our) money isn't going to help them, sorry but GM is a dying company. The transmission (planetary system) has engineering problems which they dont admit. Every transmission shop knows it including their dealers(GM's). My advice if you have a TB, trade it in before it may happen to you, and if you still believe in GM wait at least 5 years (if they turn around of what may be left of GM) because the current product must be worse than the old one with all the cuts in Eng, Labor,and supplier chain (everyone in GM is worried if they can last another day do you think they care about product or customers?). It is sad but its reality.