Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X3

Comments

• glenberkglenberk Member Posts: 14
    ULEP: which dealer did you purchase from?

Thanks in advance. I agree with you on this vehicle's positives, and will be buying one too!
  • ulepulep Member Posts: 63
    Difeo BMW NJ. it is much bigger than other bmw show room that we went to around nj and basically the only one who took us seriously. i'm 25, maybe the other dealers thought i was just nosing around. i think the x3 appeals more to the younger generation. even my jaguar driving pops doesn't like it. hey,to each his own just like one of the post said.CHEERS!!!
  • saugataksaugatak Member Posts: 488
    hmmm . . . sounds like from what's been posted the demand is there for the X3 2.5, but not the X3 3.0 and one poster (ulep) has already been able to shave $1.4k off MSRP even though these vehicles aren't supposed to be shipped until 2/1/04!

For all those X3 supporters out there, the X3 detractors aren't saying that the X3 is a bad vehicle. Just that the X3 (especially the 3.0) was a bit richly priced at around $43k for a decently optioned X3.

If you can get $1.4k off before the ship date, I bet that if you are willing to wait a few months you'll be able to knoc a lot more off the price.

As it stands, I am not in the market for the X3 at $43k or even $41.6k, but if the X3 takes a hit such that it gets dragged down to $35k then I'll be interested.
    well for those people who will get the x3 for a cheaper price than what i got if for in the next few months, CONGATULATIONS GUYS!!!ENJOY YOUR BRAND NEW X3!!!(i'm not really a hater ;-))
        and for the price?same reason why i buy nautica jeens were as i can buy it at walmart for 10 bucks (and that still not on sale:-0)and why some people choose the EVO over the G35. i also dont see why you cant bargain for a cheaper price. i mean the car doesnt have to sit on the lot for 1-3 mos before the dealers can sell them. making it easier and less expensive for the them to sell it. and they dont even have to maintain the car. in turn they can lower their price and attract more buyers.
         What i did is i emailed all the dealers in nj and made them bid againts each other. everybody wants your business but in the end the strongest survives(wow!!! just like a movie)because they want a custumer not because they have a crappy car. after that were both happy.i got my x3 and he got my business.
         and for me, the only one who got the 3.0, .....damn.................ALELUIA...
  • tponchaktponchak Member Posts: 25
    "As it stands, I am not in the market for the X3 at $43k or even $41.6k, but if the X3 takes a hit such that it gets dragged down to $35k then I'll be interested."

That's quite a reversal, Saugatak. I'm glad to see that you're coming around:).

I bought the 3.0 X3 and it topped out at $49,770. I originally wanted the X5 4.4 topped out, but I saved over $12,000 between similarly equipped vehicles. I like all the goodies:).

Saved $1,000 off MSRP, but after reading above, I plan on re-negotiating when the car comes in in February. Thanks for the info!!!
    what reversal?

I said all along that the X3 did not have a quality interior befitting a car in the $43k price range. No dual zone climate, cheap plastics that rattle.

If you read my previous posts, I've been pretty consistent in saying that I like the X3 3.0 at $35k to $37k, but at $43k it's a rip.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    "I said all along that the X3 did not have a quality interior befitting a car in the $43k price range. No dual zone climate, cheap plastics that rattle."

Dual zone climate control? Sheesh. I *NEVER* use the dual features and I had it on two prior vehicles. The X3 that I tested did not have cheap plastics that rattle. The interior was very BMW, rode and handled was ver BMW like. The draw for me is the xdrive, which sounds like a cross between FT 4WD and other systems. The fact it can direct torque to one wheel is a plus.

I'm not sure why you aren't looking at the FX35. From everything you say, that sounds like it's the car for you.
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    Since the X3 is made in Europe (Austria?) where they use the Euro, and since the Euro has risen significantly against the $; this would cut into BMW's profit margin.

This would therefore work against BMW offering many additional discounts, even if sales are slow in several months.
  • wwillwwill Member Posts: 3
    Considering I pay 71.000 euro (3.0d, all options except xenon/adapt.lights, sports options and gps-things) in NL, a decent $-price should be *1,27= $89.500,=.
    You lucky americans!
  • wwenzelwwenzel Member Posts: 4
    Hi all! I'm still debating if I want to place my order for a 3.0 X3 with options MSRP at $44,700. My dealer has offered me $2,045 off as a preferred client.

I think the X3 looks great with the sand interior, gray carpet and all, but the material quality of the interior is not up to VW/Audi standards. I love the interior of my Passat GLX 4 Motion wagon. But what the X3 3.0 does have is plenty of power, for a 4100 pound vehicle, decent gas mileage, adequate passenger and cargo room, a great AWD system, and BMW typical, awesome handling. Plus the moonroof is great.

Considering the other options available for me what other choice is there?

FX Twins-Ugly interior and exterior styling plus no local dealer here in Moline, IL
    VW Touraeg-Wonderful interior, too heavy, poor gas mileage
    Audi Allroad-Wonderful interior, nice performance, decent handling, rumors of turbo lag, questionable resale value with discontinuation after 04
    2005 VW Passat Wagon-Awesome looks, nice powertrain choices, NOT available until at least spring 05.

Am I missing any other choices that are wagons or X3 sized sport utes with great handling and luxury oriented interior?

Give me your input guys? Happy New Year's
  • ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    i agree with you.. most people who buy at walmart want to move up to target at some point in their life and when they reach target they realize they want to shop at some other pricier place and i'm not implying walmart quality is target quality... that's human nature (as conditioned by incessant feel good advertising in every media possible).

i am increasingly leaning towards becoming a spiritual monk.... scary. I think edmunds should ban me before i radicalize.. ;-) Hey KD, since you threw in the towel, you wanna join my monkhood?

ksso
    today i'm the windshield
    yesterday i was the bug
    I think you could also consider the Volvo XC-90, and Cadillac SRX at that price. The SRX has a nice size sunroof supposedly, if that's 1 of your main desires.

If you have a business, I've seen where the 3-row seating XC-90 qualifies under Act 179 per its CGVW to qualify for immediate 100% depreciation. Take the purchase price right off your income.

Also I don't know if you've seen the European Delivery section on the BMW website. You can get 7% off sticker by taking a European delivery. seems to be more than the dealer is offering you!
  • glenberkglenberk Member Posts: 14
    I'd appreciate it if you could email me directly (gabemail@aol.com) with your name so that I can use it to get a comparable discount at your dealer. They asked me this morning for the reference of who they gave the discount to.

Thanks in advance.
  • bgsintthbgsintth Member Posts: 16
    We are all looking for something different, but I'm holding off on the X3 until the new Subaru Legacy Turbo wagon comes out this spring. Don't laugh, it will have more room inside than a 3-series wagon, 250+hp, and be lighter than my current WRX wagon.

I need something that will fit me (6'4"), my surfboard, my kids, has a manual transimission, has AWD, and is fun to drive. I was very impressed with the room inside the X3. I can sit comfortably in the rear seat with the driver's seat set to me, and have more than enough head room in the front seat, even with the sunroof. In the X5 my head touches the roof and I cannot sit comfortably in the back seat. Go figure.....
    Yes the Legacy Turbo is going to be a nice vehicle, and keeps people in the U.S. employed. So many good choices out there; nothing like competition to drive improvements and keep costs down.

Personally, I already have a performance car, and really would just be shopping for a good winter vehicle, and to do some towing and hauling. My wife drives a fullsize PU, which we use for the heavy jobs.

So I'd be looking for a moderate price, safe, and snow-capable vehicle. An X3 2.5 or a Subaru Legacy (I'd opt for the non-turbo Outback) would fill my needs.

I guess my philosophy is not to try to buy 1 vehicle that does everything, but to buy a few vehicles, each that does something very well. Currently own a Silverado X-cab 4wd, Subaru Impreza Outback, and a Firebird Formula.

BTW, I find the stock 310hp of my Firebird could use some improvement for a performance car. It is slightly lighter than the X3, and doesn't have the losses of an AWD system. That is why I've said here a couple of times that I would not opt for the 3.0 engine. Either way it is not going to make much difference, except in your wallet. The X3 in my mind is a moderately luxurious, safe, high-tech, all-season practical vehicle.
    kd, since you have acknowledged that you are nothing more than a BMW mouthpiece, all of your praises of BMW or reactions to legitimate BMW criticism have to be taken with a gigantic grain of salt.

i am not the only one to complain about the cheap interior. look through this board. it's the one factor that is holding back a lot of prospective purchasers.

regarding dual-zone climate control, just because you don't use it doesn't mean i or other people don't use it.

i happen to like it very cold so it's very convenient for me to to blast the A/C up front when driving while my dad or wife (both of whom like it a lot hotter) sit in the back at a much higher temp.

frankly, i think the biggest problem bmw is having with the X3 is that if they make it too good, they'll undercut the X5. I happen to think that a $43k car should come standard with dual-zone climate control and a quality interior materials. But if they did that, who'd pay the extra for the X5?

Of all the $40k plus cars I have looked at, the X3 has by far the cheapest interior. I think we'll have to wait for a redesign of the X5 (my guess is BMW will make it bigger and more expensive) before they start putting in decent interior in the X3, or if X3 sales are not good BMW will also spruce up the interior.

Regarding the FX, I think it's a good car but I don't like driving Nissans because in my experience the VQ is a good, but dirty and fuelthirsty engine.
    "kd, since you have acknowledged that you are nothing more than a BMW mouthpiece, all of your praises of BMW or reactions to legitimate BMW criticism have to be taken with a gigantic grain of salt."

Seems a little vitriolic to me.

As far as everything else goes. It depends on your priorities. To me dual climate control is not a deal breaker as neither are the cupholders. If you don't want this car because of dual climate that's your priority in vehicles. As far as the interior goes, there are differing opinions. I have only had one vehicle with front/back climate controls. And to me that makes more of a difference than dual climate controls.

As far as undercutting the X5, that is neither here nor there as far as the car drives. If BMW is shortsighted and cannabilizes X5 sales with X3 sales, their bad.

Yes I do have legitmate criticisms of BMW, after all their cars suffer from compromises as others suffere from. It's just that the compromises are different.
    of course everyone has different values and price points. for some, the driveability and the fact that this is the only SUV (or SAV if you prefer) with a stick other than the X5 make it worth the $.

for me, the X3 falls a little short at the MSRP price point. hopefully, the real market prices will go down where it meets my value/price point.
  • bgsintthbgsintth Member Posts: 16
    Yep, I'm with you about not trying to mix your sport with utility vehicles. The WRX wagon was suppossed to replace both my barely-legal, track-oriented Miata and Grand Cherokee. It actually serves this paradox fairly well, but I am getting tired of changing the wheels/tires, brake pads, adusting the sway-bars, etc. every time I want to go to the track.

My wife is so blinded by the BMW badge, that she would be willing to let me buy another Miata if I would replace my WRX with the X3, and not the Legacy. My wife has a real image problem with Subaru's, though I'm currently on my 5th Suby wagon.
    "Yes I do have legitmate criticisms of BMW, after all their cars suffer from compromises as others suffere from. It's just that the compromises are different."

What compromises are you talking about? As far as I've seen, you have not said one critical word about any BMW vehicle.
    "What compromises are you talking about? As far as I've seen, you have not said one critical word about any BMW vehicle."

It doesn't seat seven.
    Saugatak, with all your criticisms of the X3 and your anti-BMW opinions, you sure do spend a great deal of time in this forum!!!

As anyone in the know knows, every BMW is priced at a premium. The market will decide whether that premium is justified or not. In the case of the X3, it seems as though $1,000-$1,800 is the market adjusted discount off MSRP.

If you haven't noticed yet, BMW rolled out a national, multi-faceted ad campaign in coordination with the BCS Bowl Games today. Saugatak, you may want to take the plunge now, as the market may adjust back upwards.

Saugatak, I took the liberty of building an X3 3.0 with metallic paint and leather interior with you in mind; $38,920. Take off $1,500 and you're at $37,420. Do it, Saugatak. Then we can change the tone of our correspondence!!!

Bottom line: The X3 is a true BMW with true BMW performance and great looks. They will sell every single X3 built, the pity complaints from cynics such as you will slowly dissipate, and I'll feel great and look good in the best looking small SUV around.

Saugatak, if you don't agree, I respect your opinion and preferences. If the X3 is out of reach for your budget, I respect that as well. Have fun in your Ford Escape.
    AMEN to that tponchak...
        well i guess i'm not gonna be the only one with an x3 3.0 this febuary :-(..."There have been a number of BMW's over the years I've never liked. Unlike some other people, I handle that by not buying them or wasting much time thinking about them." as quoted in one post.
  • mjmx3mjmx3 Member Posts: 17
    You won't be alone with your X3 3.0i. I ordered one too back in November!
    you: They will sell every single X3 built, the pity complaints from cynics such as you will slowly dissipate, and I'll feel great and look good in the best looking small SUV around.

me: isn't that true of any car model built, every one is sold? I've never noticed the car-crushing-units out back at the dealers, to get rid of the leftovers. :-) I believe they sell them all; someone even buys Yugos if the price is lowered enough.
    I think the true test is "will the X3 factory run at capacity with demand > supply".
    "I think the true test is "will the X3 factory run at capacity with demand > supply"

That's easy enough to do if your supply is one, at least four people want it on this board.

I think the true test is whether BMW meets it's budget goals. But that we'll never know.

Actually I took the statement figurativly and not literally. It is a basic tenet of our economy to manufacture more than the demand. After all, when is the last time you went into a supermarket to find almost every cupboard bare. Or went into a dealers lot to find no new cars because every one had been sold out. The last time it happened to me, is when I went to buy a Pinto after the gas tank fiasco.
  • doneby2010doneby2010 Member Posts: 27
    How did you come up with the $38920 figure? Do you have access to better pricing? When I look at the configurator, the MSRP is $36K+, PP is $3.3K, Met. paint is about $695. So we're already over $40K and we haven't even talked about Xenon lights, A/T or any other options.
    magna steyr claims that it cant produce 300 x3's in one day.they start production this january. with thousands of orders from england alone and thousands in europe, i doubt that we can drive our x3's in the first week of febuary. hope im wrong....
  • doctdoct Member Posts: 20
    overall ..liked it

Did not like. 1) Step in distance, I am 5 7 and felt a little like I needed to stretch to get over door sill and land on seat. 2) step out, far for me and wacked calf on lower sill every time, if I wore a suit or skirt to work everyday this would be a problem. 3) stability control,, drove in the wet snow today, this really can break you hard in sharp turn and skid, it works but i found it a little unnerving, guess you would get used to it, i am used to skidding around. I still almost drove it into a ditch today, really forced it, I would definitely put on winter tires if you live way north. 4. All floor carpets gray no matter what you interior color. I was told this today, could lessen a sand or terra cotta interior, not sure but i would rather matching carpets. 5. Sports package would be to stiff a ride, this SAv without sport was stiffer than my e36 with sports package. The reg. has a great BMW road feel would not want it any softer 5.) wood trim, saw a sand with lite wood, looked like cheap aftermarket stick on stuff, aluminum looks ok, plastic door release inside is acceptable, but don't like high position. Also think blinker handle is to high, also in X5 and rear wiper control weird. 6) loaded price, to close to x5 choices, although not a big fan of x5 anyway.7. big sun roof, not a fan of sun roofs get a convertible.

Likes 1) seats are comfortable but would love sports seats without package, 2) ride good accel. on 3.0 pretty quiet inside 3) strong braking , tight cornering, as expected 4)inside room more cockpit feel than x5, pretty good dead pedal position,,comfortable reach to controls, three level heated seats, lumbar control. 5. good driver visibility
    7) get free model in mail when you order, do not really care but cool. free Sirius if you order early?

gonna get one.
    don't get angry at me because i posted that the first model run of the X3 will get the BMW newbies salivating over their first BMW while the more discriminating buyers will hold back and wait until the market forces BMW to up the ante in terms of what they offer with the car.

ulep & tponchak, if the shoe fits, wear it.

tponchak, please read what i write with a little more care. the only thing i've criticized about the X3 is the interior materials and the price. i love BMW cars. if you read my posts, you'll see that i say time and again that nothing handles and drives like a BMW.

What hacks me off with BMW is all the self-inflicted damage they've done to their cars. I expect to pay in the $40k price range for a fully optioned out BMW. If you look at the 330, if you put some decent options on it it gets to $40k so I expected the X3 to be similar. What I did not expect was that the X3 would have the interior materials of BMW's upcoming 1-series.

When I pay $40+k for a BMW, I expect to get the quality of interior in a premium package 330, and that is not what the X3 offers. If you don't believe me, go sit in and drive a 330 premium package and you will notice an immediate difference.

tponchak said: "Saugatak, if you don't agree, I respect your opinion and preferences. If the X3 is out of reach for your budget, I respect that as well. Have fun in your Ford Escape."

OK dude. Looked at your profile and what are you driving? A Ford, LOL. If I were you tponchak, I'd think about what I was driving first before I made fun of someone else's car.

With regard to your jabs on my financial abilities to buy the X3, dude, there is kind of an unwritten rule (which you just broke) on these forums that you don't make fun of someone else's financial wherewithal. Hopefully you learn from this and don't do it again. Secondly, I have the money to buy any car I want (although I'd have to sell one of my buildings to buy a Maybach) so don't lose any sleep about my financial state.
  • furbyfurby Member Posts: 14
    Saw this review on the web.

"X3 falls short as upscale SUV"
    http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosconsumer/0401/01/g01-22763.htm
    Wow, Saugatak. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. It's apparent that I crossed the line when I forced you to start bragging about your ability to buy a Maybach:). From your comments, you are obviously much more successful than I. At your level, I'm flattered that the X3 has garnered so much of your attention. I love the car even more!!!

I'm sorry you didn't appreciate the irony of my final comment. Your comparison of the X3 interior to the Ford Escape was one of the funniest things I've heard in this forum.

You're right. We own a Ford F-150. Fortunately, owning a Ford makes me even more qualified to ridicule your amateur opinion.

As a matter-of-fact, Saugatak, my mother-in-law does indeed own a 330i with premium package, sport package, and just about every other option (minus navigation). Except for a thin sliver of wood along the front passenger dash, the 330i has no other material advantage over the X3 similarly equipped. That's a fact from someone(me) who's driven that car at least up to San Francisco and back (from L.A.). My father-in-law has a Z4 with premium package. NO advantage over the X3.

It's great to have a truck in the family. I plan on keeping it upon delivery of the X3, to go along with my wife's TL.

Saugatak, again, LOVE the X3!!! Love it more the more cynics like you spend your valuable time talking about it.

So, let's talk about your options, Saugatak. Sell a building and buy the Maybach, give in and buy the X3, or have fun in the Ford Escape. Decisions, decisions, decisions......

By the way, how much did you get your MDX for:)???
    Don't let cynics and nit-pickers like Saugatak damper your enthusiasm for the X3. I love it, I bought it, and I don't care how hard Saugatak tries to make us think otherwise.

Hopefully, I can read more posts on what deals people are getting. Also, let there be more room on this post to share in our excitement for what is a great car/suv. Thanks MJMX3, ULEP, AND KDSHAPIRO. If I left anyone out, please drop me a line.

Peace out...
    Doneby2010, I only included metallic paint and leather upholstery on the X3 3.0 that I built. No premium package, no sport package, no options whatsoever. $38,920.

Still has xDrive, still the 3.0, and still a lot of standard features. Not my choice, but a good choice.

Did anyone see the X3 TV ad yesterday? It was pretty cool and unique.

Add "DOCT" to the list. Another satisfied X3 buyer!!!
    The X3 is a great looking car. I honestly do not care for the X5 styling. Yes the ride/handling/interior is all BMW, but it is tough to take a balanced BMW look and elongate it.

The X3 on the other hand is really nice looking. Being slightly shorter then the X5 allowed BMW to adapt it's shape very nicely. The fit, finish and ride are right on par with my 330i.

saugatak is doing the same thing in this forum that he is accusing me of in other forums. In the 5 series forum, he said the E60 looks like the a Pontiac Grand Am. Tells me I've sold my soul to BMW (let's not get too personal here). BMW will find their way with or without our input.

OK saugatak you wanted them - here are some legitimate criticisms about the 3-er.

1. I was expecting a ML class stereo with 12 speakers.
    2. cupholders and center console are obnoxious.
    3. wish the placement of the window controls were on the door, like every other car.
    4. climate control is anti-intuitive, and even after a year and a half I still hit the wrong button (what were they thinking)
    5. need cupholders in the back seat.
    6. sun flaps don't belie the quality of vehicle.
    7. panel that holds the moonroof actuator is chinsy.
    8. should have included the sport seats as standard.
    9. leather is tough (although extremely durable, so it's a double edged sword)
    10. And my final legit criticism of BMW, they should offer SC or turbos as options.

Hope the list is good enough and meets your definition of legitimate criticisms.
  • bullardohiobullardohio Member Posts: 23
    Spent the last month driving sedans: 330xi, A4, C320 4matic, S60 R, G35x, WRX Tsi (looks of fun test drives!!). Finally narrowed it down to the BMW, Audi, & MB. Took my wife to look at the A4 -- definitely NOT getting that one now (she didn't like the styling). Okay, now the 330Xi -- her input was the back seats look too small. The MB -- where's the beef (it's comfy, but doesn't really move too quick when you mash the petal). Her comment: why don't you get an X5 like mine. After explaining I did not want 2 of the same vehicle (guy thing), her question prompted me to test drive the X3. Wow! It handles great -- tried to spin out the Xdrive on wet pavement yesterday. The acceleration is good -- not sure of the times, but bet it would take the most sedans on the 0 to 60, & definitely on a road course. Think I may be heading this way.....
    hey guys, did you see the bumper kits for the x3 in europe. damn....those things look nice. i'll defenitely ask my salesguy if it's posible to get it here. and also i read from the other forums that you'll get a model car by mail if you order an x3. WHERE THE %#&@ IS MY MODEL CAR?..........hehe J/K...
         anyway, anyone who can give me more info on this?
    My feelings weren't hurt at all. As for the Maybach, yes I could afford one, but so could a lot of other people if they sold off everything the owned, drained their 401K, etc. Obviously putting a huge chunk of your net worth in a car is not a wise financial move. Enough about our respective financial abilities. I just assume that people in a forum can afford the car or they wouldn't be here. Even if they can't afford the car new, they will be able to afford it used at some point. My exp. is that finances never stops people from getting what they really want. They just skimp on something else.

With regard to your statement that the interior of the X3 is as good as the interior of a 3-series, I have to say I am quite puzzled. 3-series have soft touch, high quality plastic. The X3 I looked at had hard, hollow plastic with points sticking out of it. There was absolutely no give to it at all. The build quality was excellent (plastic was fitted together well) but you can't escape the basic laws of physics, and when it gets cold hard plastic contracts and when it gets hot hard plastic expands. When that happens enough times, the fit goes and then you get rattles.

In any case, if hard, prickly hollow plastic works for you, then I'm happy for you. Also, I'd ask you to go back earlier to this thread and see my review of the X3 after I first drove it. You'll notice that on the whole I liked the X3 a lot (handling is superb, looks good on the outside and nice use of interior space, but didn't appreciate the quality of interior materials for price paid and thought it was little underpowered).

Somebody on this board said that BMW rushed out some pre-production demo models with inferior materials so that their dealers could demo the car. Hopefully that is true and they put the 3-series interior in the X3.

With regards to my MDX, I recently purchased a 2003 MDX Base with less than 8k miles on it, perfect condition, for $28k.
  • bullardohiobullardohio Member Posts: 23
    I put my daughter's carseat in the demo X3 we got for an afternoon. The tether attaches to the floor of the back. I asked the salesman how this would work with a cargo mat, but he didn't know (they haven't seen the accessories yet). My question: would the rubber cargo mat (like what we have in our X5) have openings for the carseats to tether to the floor of the rear area?
    If the cargo mat doesn't have a hole, it's not hard to cut a hole over the appropriate point in the cargo mat.
    just got a chance to talk to my salesguy...the aerokit cost about $3,000-$4,000... but he's gonna see if we can lower it down to $2K...
      i saw the aerokit and it looked awesome.. Does anybody here seen it?.I need some inputs on this.. if you havent seen it yet. i email to anybony who wants to...
    tponchak, I guess now that you have a BMW it's fun for you to ridicule someone who would consider a Ford Escape. OK if that's what floats your boat, but I think you're underestimate the Escape.

For $20k, you get a 200HP v6 with pretty decent gas mileage and good use of interior space. I was also surprised how well it handled. I haven't driven Fords in quite a while but when test driving the Escape and Explorer, I was quite impressed. I understand that Escapes had some quality control problems but they have now been fixed.

I'm not saying that the interior materials in the Escape were the greatest, but they were what I expected in a $20k car. Quite frankly, I thought the Escape was a great value at $20k.

I was planning to get an Escape when I moved to CA in April but when I got the opportunity to get an MDX for way undermarket, I had to take it.

By my value system, I'd rather have a Ford Escape instead of the X3 in its current configuration and use the extra $23k to put a down payment on another condo or building, but I know that everyone's value judgment differs and it's your money to spend how you please.
  • mjmx3mjmx3 Member Posts: 17
    Just a note of caution for the Town Hall Members purchasing X3s that are considering the Aero Kit for the X3. It is my understanding that this kit is NOT compatible if the car has Park Distance Control (PDC). I don’t know if there are any other non-compatible options with the Aero Kit but you should carefully determine everything involved in adding this kit to your X3.

Ulep, please post what information you get from your dealer on this kit.

Congratulations to all that have ordered this great car!!! Please continue to share information on your purchase, delivery, modifications (Aero Kit, CD-Changer, BMW Alarm etc.) experiences so we can all learn as much as possible.

Thanks,

MJM
        i wanted to get the remote start for my x3 but my sales guy said that it is not possible because the car has passive alarm. they have to override the system to do that which in turn made it more expensive than the usual... any input on this guys? ...as for the passive alarm, it wont be of any help if an x3 hater hits your car with a baseball bat becuse you bought it...he,he,J/K :-)peace guys. I'm getting the security system bmw said was $500.
        I'll be posting my inputs on the kit as soon as i get in contact with bmw. but i doubt they will give a chance to deal since it's an accesory. hope for the best guys!!!
    "By my value system, I'd rather have a Ford Escape instead of the X3 in its current configuration and use the extra $23k to put a down payment on another condo or building,"

I agree with you on this. See my post on the near entry level luxo sedans. I was seriously thinking about an X3, until I had a run-in with a loaded Accord v6. They are nice. FWD-torque steer and all, but I save $12+K that I can use to finanance some other endeavour. Actually if I got a Hyundia I could save $33K to put toward something else.

The Ford Escape is nice for what it is. I test drove it. Also nice and reliable is a Rav4, CRV, Hyundai SUV etc. All reliable vehicles that if you bought them instead of a 760i, you could save $100+K invest it and have a nice little egg nest when you retire.

But no matter how you stretch it, saugatak, the X3 interior is not Ford Escape like. I think you open yourself up for comments, when that comparison is made. But if it is your opinion, it is your opinion. The interior is just fine, on par with my 3 series, the styling is first rate and the xdrive is interesting. All in all a nice vehicle, let's see how the market reacts.
    If I decide to buy a vehicle in the next year, I'll be shopping in the $20K - $30K out-the-door-price.
    Right now the vehicles I'd put in that comparision are the redesigned 2005 Subaru Outback wagon, the 250-hp V-6 powered Saturn Vue, the Jaguar X-type (be nice if the Estate wagon comes to the U.S.), and the X-3 (2.5).
    They all have compromises; I'd have to see what value you get from each.
    "3-series have soft touch, high quality plastic. The X3 I looked at had hard, hollow plastic with points sticking out of it. There was absolutely no give to it at all."

Saugatak, I visited the X3 at the L.A. Auto Show this weekend. I closely inspected the plastic on the dash and all throughout the interior. I pushed, prodded, ran my hand over it, looked extremely close, etc. The plastic was definitely soft touch. There was ample give. And yes, the plastic does have a texture to it. A nice touch in my opinion.

You could be right, Saugatak, about the pre-production demos getting a different treatment. I didn't inspect the demos' interior as thoroughly as I did at the auto show.

Saugatak, please see kdshapiro's comments above. Owner of a 3 series agreeing with me on my 3 series/X3 interior comparison. Also, your Ford Escape comparison's ARE ridiculous, just as kdshapiro suggests and I've been saying all along.
    Saugatak, I'm not bashing the Ford Escape. I AM bashing the comparison of the Ford Escape to the X3 by you in THIS forum. That comparison is completely ridiculous.

Saugatak says "i'd rather have a Ford Escape instead of the X3 in its current configuration."

Ok, that's fine. I can accept that. I also have no doubt that your comments on the Escape are fairly accurate. Just a suggestion, Saugatak, maybe you should be spending more time in the Ford Escape forum and posting your valuable insights about the Escape in said forum.
    Ulep, thanks for the info. on the aero kit. What is the link to view it?

I ordered PDC, so I may not be able to participate. Bummer:(.

I saw the X3 at the L.A. Auto Show this weekend. The optional "Y" spoke rims are AWESOME looking and should add a bit to the performance. Ride quality may suffer, but I just love the look too much.

Anyone know how many miles I can expect with those rims and high performance tires? I'm a little worried.
    i read in the other forums that you can call 800-831-1117 for the status of your order but you have to provide them with either your production # or VIN which are available from your dealer.
         i was driving this morning when i passed by a bmw dealership. i cant just help it. i just have to turn around and look at the x3 one more time. the plastic bumpers made the car look really sporty in a very nice way. it looked so handsome because it was wider than any suvs in its class and lower than most suv. and then add those 235 wheels....ahhh..i love this car. for ME, it looks better than the x5.