Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac SRX

Comments

• searay175searay175 Member Posts: 3
    stlga:I've had nothing but problems with my ultra view. The dealer was clueless and I just happened to know someone at Wabasto that is the project manager for this roof. After months of arm wrestling with GM they finally let Wabasto take the car and inspect it. What they found was a crack somewhere deep in the assembly of the roof. They replaced the entire unit, every nut and bolt. He told me it took him two hours of driving around in car with a stethoscope to find the source and that dealer didn't have a chance of finding it. I still have an occasional creak and groan but nothing like before. My SRX if full of rattles. Good Luck.
    I have an 04 6cyl. AWD. Has anyone experienced an odor coming into the cabin. It smells somewhat like oil but there are no leaks. It occurs when the heat is on and I'm at idle. You can also smell it outside. The dealer said that they have no idea what the problem is but suspect the hoses. They also say they are beginning to find this issue across the line.
  • snipe1snipe1 Member Posts: 14
    I've recently test driven a number of vehicles to replace my '99 Jeep GC, SRX V-8, among them.

Overall I liked the vehicle, especially the 320 HP Northstar which I had a chance to open up on the parkway! No Mag. Ride in the tester, unfortunately.

One thing that caught my attention, and bothered me, was a reflection of the cross-hatched dash pattern in the windshield when facing into the sun. It didn't hamper my visibility but, did seem distracting. Has anyone else been bothered by this?

Thanks all.

snipe
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    A dash mat will take care of same.
  • snipe1snipe1 Member Posts: 14
    Took another test drive today (cloudy and drizzling here in NY) and found no dash reflection to speak of. Guess it only showed up when headed into direct sun. I don't think it will be a problem.

This tester had Mag Ride and it seemed slightly jittery or rough. Possibly could have been the tires if the tester was sitting a while. Overall handling is very good.
    Comfortable interior.

I noted the wide door sill as mentioned previously. Hard not to rub against it.

Nice prices with GM's Employee Discount promotion!!
  • carservicecarservice Member Posts: 3
    I own an 04' V 6.. it is terrific..EXCEPT..the DIC system has to be fixed again.. This is the info showing Gallons used , MPH , trip odometer etc.. There is a "Clear: " Button to reset when filling up or Starting a trip.. My problem is it resets itself from time to time.. It sounds like the CD Changer locks on ..I hear a Whirring and all of a sudden all sets to Zero again. it seems to happen mainly when I start the vehicle. The Dealer replaced the radio once , now it will be replaced again.. Anyone else have this issue before I bring it in again. Also , if you have the problem , they replaced the first time with a CTS Radio which had different settings.
  • alston28alston28 Member Posts: 98
    Do you still love it? Thanks.

>#495 of 576 by dripps Aug 06, 2004 (9:09 pm)
    >Not much action here on SRX forums. I just bought my 2005 SRX V6 with Luxury >Performance package and AWD. I am so thrilled with this car. It's much more >comfortable than my BMW X5 ever was. I love my new bells and whistles-->learning the navigation, playing with XM radio and that incredible sunroof!!!! My >SRX is blue chip with light grey interior....just beautiful!
    I'm considering a SRX with the V8, but the list is more than the list for a Lexus GX470. What do you think or advise? Thanks.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    are different types of SUV's. The Lexus closest to the SRX would be the RX330. I think the SRX will easily out handle and out pace both, though.

The only real advantage in the lexus is probably the interrior, although i like the look of the SRX better.

You should test drive both of the SUV's you want on the same day if you can, to get the best impression.

SRX also won a C/D comparo between an infiniti and a porche if it means anything.
    Thanks.
    The RX330 is too small for my long legs. To my surprise, despite the center console the Cadillac SRX and Lexus GX470 both "fit." The cross-over SRX better suites my needs. I don't need to off road capability and all wheel drive of the GX470. But, with the price of the V8 SRX and the GX470 so close, I have to consider the GX470. The reputation of the Lexus for quality is attractive. I test drove both on the same day last week, and couldn't decide between the two. Both were nice. I plan to test drive them again before deciding. I'll also test drive the V6 SRX. If the V6 will do, then the price difference favors the SRX. Any further thoughts? Thanks.
  • volvodan1volvodan1 Member Posts: 188
    If the SRX better suits your needs, then there you have it! You should also check out "program" SRX's. I have one in my area that stickered for over $60,000 with every option for around $46,000. It has around 2,000 miles. The employee price was I believe about $52,000. Not many like that out there, but check your area.
    Thanks. Any thoughts on the v6 v. the v8 for the SRX?
    many people say the v6 is powerful enough and i agree, however...

a v8 is a v8, and you cannot get much better than the new northstar v8. Also, you sould feel a big difference especially in the midrange between the v6 and v8, the v8 comes with 18 inch wheels that make the whole car look more attractive, IMO.

as for Lexus quality, I see what you mean, hoever for all practical purposes, the US-asian quality gap has been removed. I think you have a chance of having problems with any car you buy, its like a roll of the dice in this way.

If you enjoy driving you should have a much better time in an SRX, especially because of the large sun-roof.

As for the price, don't forget that you can get the Employee discount and that Cadillac dealers are a bit more willing to deal than the lexus dealers in most cases. Don't be fooled by the window sticker, talk to the salesmen/women for a while and the price should come down faster than a newly-weds dress ;)
    Thank you very much for your thoughtful advice.
  • volvodan1volvodan1 Member Posts: 188
    As nice as the V6 is, the Northstar is a Northstar. Also there is only 1-2 mpg difference between the V6 and V8. If $$$ isn't an issue, the V8 is the best choice.
    hello,

My brother is interested in leasing an SRX, I was wondering what was the best deal any of you got?

He doesn't care if its base or v8, just looking for a good deal since he could use the space and flexibility of this car.

thanks.
  • tmacguytmacguy Member Posts: 37
    Ok, it is only my 2nd luxry car, a '03 CTS was my first. So I may not know much about how it stands against the Lux cars of europ or asia. Note, though, I drove a '03 Cay S of a freind to my harts content, and he did the same with my SRX. I was glad I bought the Caddi and did not see and advantage fot the Cay. On the other hand he was impressed and could not keep from commenting on how quite, and smooth the SRX felt. My '04 SRX is a black V8 AWD with 3rd seat, Ultra sun roof, and rear DVD (but not the front NAV/DVD system), also included is Magna ride. And to add insult to injury we raced the cars on a drag strip, and the fully loaded SRX edged the Cay by a door. (Note, I still have the CTS too)

To all who come here to check on the SRX and scratch there head in confusion, BUY IT.. it is great. I agree this forum is slow so I will include as much detail as possible.

The car is quite, smooth, and polished. Has better fit and finish than the CTS, for example the doors slam so quitely and smoothly, it is a joy to close the doors. with 7 months of ownership I still have the new car joy while driving.

Now the part all are waiting for: problems....

1- DIC reset. This is a problem with all '04 SRX and '04 CTS, do not bother replacing your unit, complain to GM they should do a reprograming recall. Not a problem on '03 CTS. But I got the same problem on a '04 CTS loaner, and the CTS forum is full of it.

2- Rear wipper clog. It happens just tell the dealer and he will fix it on the spot.

3- The BIG ONE... roof rattels and squeeks. All SRX with ultra view have them initially (do not know about '05). I read about it and the dealer even told me of it before buying. But he promised ot fixit within a day once it creaps to my car. I got the squeaks in 3 weeks. The dealer fixed it and it has been gon for onths since then. I read some have given up on the squeeks and some say their dealers do not not know how to fix it. I believe the fix is so simple, but the dealer have to know what to do.

That is it, no other problems what so ever over 12,000 miles.

I love this car. And glad that 7'0 from the CTS forum bought one recently, hope he will liven this slow one.
  • djagdjag Member Posts: 39
    I drove one twice just to be sure. Handled well but was noisy at slow speed the interior trim and switches just not up to the X5 or the LR3 or even the Pacifica. The v6 seemed to be plenty strong but noisy. Also the dealer gave a price on line but at the dealership added $3 grand. I wanted to like this crossover but the quality is just not there yet.
  • nascarqueen24nascarqueen24 Member Posts: 25
    A good morning to all members!

I am new, my name is NascarQueen 24. I am in Toronto Canada.

I currently drive a Pontiac Montanna extended wheelbase and just love the size, weight, height and people/stuff capacity, no kids.

However, it is now time for a luxury, performance vehicle. It must hold stuff, be "higher" than a car and have excellent performance and handling. Lots of safety is mandatory as well as reliable quality and service.

I have "found" the SRX and my husband and I just love the look - features, size etc.

It is really expensive in Canada - $56,000 (non V8) plus 15% tax (yes, it is Canada unfortunately).

QUESTIONS

What are the "cons" to this vehicle - I know about the rattles of the roof and the high step over?

For Canadians, what have you paid recently for this vehicle?

Anything you can provide would be helpful.

Kindest Regards To All
    NascarQueen24
    Message 587 is my answer to your question.

The only thing I do not like about Cadillac in general, is that the leather does not age as good as in the Germans
    Local dealer has a 2004 SRX v8 for $37,000. What do you think?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check the Cadillac SRX: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion too. Have fun shopping!

Steve, Host
  • stlgasmanstlgasman Member Posts: 141
    tmacguy, do you have the details of the repair work done on your ultraview to stop the squeaks?
    I do not have the detials, but I will sure ask the dealer tech next time I visit for the free perdiodic mainainace (should be within coouple of weeks). All I know now is that it took about 2-3 hours (I actually waited while it was done) so it could not have been that major of a fix. And even as of now the roof is still hush quite. Since the fix I have avoided leaving the roof at the preset stop (the preset factory stop for least wind noise) since historically this always induced the squeek, and I fear if I went back to that habit the problem may re-emarge. So I always open the roof all the way.

Also note, my problem originally was intemitent with the roof mostly quite under the morning sun and sqweeki in the evening coolth.
    FYI Im on my 4th radio. No problem with the other issues however.
  • johnshrljohnshrl Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard anything about the SRX Ultraveiw sun roofs shattering at high speeds.
    I have one but my problem with the roof is a constant rattle along the track when open.

Any comments? JB
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Four cases reported:

Feds Investigate Cadillac SRX Sunroof for Shattering (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • star2ustar2u Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a 2005 SRX and have a problem with the DIC. It usually shows more gallons used than the tank holds (by about 7 to 9 gallons). Needless to say that this throws off all the calculations such as MPG, gallons used, etc. Additionally, I think it's related, my radio personal settings constantly revert back to a default setting. My specific bass, treble, etc. controls reset by themselves.

Those polite customer service reps are really an "outsource" company from Oregon. They tell me to live with the problem since, "there is no fix for the problem at this time". The dealer has replaced a gas tank sensor, but the problem is the DIC. Now they want to send me an arbitrator form to arbitrate the problem. All I want is for the system to work as it should (like my other Cadillac's).

I guess I'll try and take it back to the dealer, again. I don't know.
  • tulegittulegit Member Posts: 11
    Yeah, you can program the locks. Read the owners manual.
  • sls256sls256 Member Posts: 1
    tmacguy,

Would you please find out what the service dept did to get rid of the rattles and squeaks in your ultraview? I am now on my 5th visit to the service dept for the rattles and sqweaks. The dealer service dept that I use just does not seem to have a clue.

sls256
    Sorry, I did not come back to you. I had the car sent to for the mainenance service, so I did not get a chance to see the service rep. But I did call him a few days ago and he promised he will ask the technitial and come back to me. My mistake, I did nto follow up and obviouly this was no his priority list. I will follow up again.
  • linmass0623linmass0623 Member Posts: 1
    I too am on my 4th radio in 4 months. I love my SUV but the radio is not the quality you would expect in a cadillac.
  • jyrenejimjyrenejim Member Posts: 1
    My o4 SRX has 3700 miles on it and has more rattles than my 01 Yukon with 137K miles, I am thinking that it is due to all the plastic they have used on the interior. I drove the new Pathfinder last week, could not believe the difference in the quietness of the two vehicles. Dealer has pretty much told me to live with the problem, does anyone have any ideas on how to make the vehicle quieter??
  • adelligattiadelligatti Member Posts: 1
    Dear JB,

you best get the vehicle looked at once. I never had any rattle sound or any problems with the sunroof. Until while driving on the highway the sunroof just exploded from the top of the vehicle. I always keep my sunroof visor open in my vehicle, but that day my co-worker was driving my car and he mentioned an article he had read about the sunroof shattering. I advised there was no way it was this vehicle that I would of gotten a re-call letter on such a big problem. At that time after our conversation, feeling a little unsteady about the conversation we had just had I decided to close my sunroof visor.....Well traveling back home that evening the unthinkable did in fact happen....it sounded like a gunshot went off in my car, we of course thought it was an accident that occured near us, but to find out in seconds that the sunroof had exploded off my vehicle vehicle. An angel must of been watching out for us that day, because what could of happened is just horrifying to think about. Lucky for us my co-worked had good control of the vehicle at time of occurance and he did not hit the concrete wall or veer off to the other lane. This occurance could of caused a major accident with multiple cars involved and also major injuries or even death to a lot of people. Just an fyi.....National highway safety was notified by me, GM customer complaints have been notified and also my car dealer. NONE of them feel that this situation requires a re-call because investigations are still going on. I am not sure how many people have to go thru what I went thru, or if they are waiting for someone to get seriously hurt or killed, but I feel the consumers should be aware as others driving on the same path as someone driving these vehicles. The worse part I have advised them I do not feel safe in this vehicle do not want it back and want out of lease to go into another GM vehicle that I feel is safe. GM does not want to work with me on this and feels what happened does not warrant a recall or replacing the vehicle at this time. There is so much more to this event and what I have had to go thru the last two weeks that anyone can imagine.
    Please, get your car looked at, this can happen to you also without any warning. I unfortunatley just received my car back and dont even want to drive it, but yet I still have to make payments on a vehicle which I feel is unsafe because GM and my dealership gave me no other alternative.

I want as many consumors to know about this because it is a safety issue and a life or death situation. I will find a way or avenue to get this out to the public. A vehicle can be replaced but a human life is not replaceable and you can not put a $ amount to someone life. This does come down to the $$$$'s. Good luck and please do take my advice and get your vehicle checked, I beg of you!!!!

Anyone else who is reading this, please if you own this vehicle and it has the extended sunroof, get it checked out at once.....even though they do not have a conclusion or a fix and are still investigating it, have your dealer check it out throughly....by the way on their expense not yours..
    Hi, I finally got the time and opportunity to ask my dealer workshop about the roof fix. Unfortunantly it was not what I expected.... they told me they just greased teh thing. That is it.... I talked to the technitial my self and he confirmed that he only greased it. Caddilacs here are covered by free periodic maintainance for 60,000 mi. The workshop periodically grases the sunroof assembly every other peridic maintainace, this keeps them quite. They tell me they have no complains at all from their customers.

For the record. my roof only aquecked, i.e., there were no ratels, just squeeks and creeks. The dealer told me about the problem as i was buying but assured me of a fix if it ever happened, and they fulfilled their promise.

Sorry, it is so simple it is dissapointing, and it would be surprising if your dealer haven't thought of such a simple fis. but this is what i am told and it sure worked for me.
    At 25,000 km my 04 SRX is in the workshop for its first waranty repair; the pedal assembly was stuck and unadjustable. It have been in the workshop for 4 days now and is proving to be a very difficult fix. Other wise no problems.

On another note: this roof shatter problem seems to be only on the 05 models.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    A friend of mine has taken delivery of a new SRX...not sure if it's a 2005 or 2006 but how would a dealer's service dept check for a glass that was about to explode? :surprise:

Mark :D

PS. Tmacguy, might want to run the spell check before posting :P
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • tbjtbj Member Posts: 2
    I have an early production 2005 SRX AWD V8. Overall, I've been very happy with the car, but I've had a problem with hard shifting and engine RPM fluctuation. The fluctuation is most prevalent in 4th and 5th gear at lower speeds. Sometimes the RPM will surge and decrease quickly. I've taken the car to the dealer and was told the service technician didn't observe the hard shifts and the RPM fluctuation is normal. Does anyone have any suggestions concerning the cause and fix for this?
    Go to another dealer. MY '04 SRX v8 AWB shifts mooth and has no fluctuations. In fact it si the softest shifiting GM I have ever experienced (my other car is a '03 CTS). In fact. If I were to hold on the brakes and shift into D, I would not feel a thing at all; the car just shifts and no one would notice, and it is as smooth after that.

Enjoy the car, it is really great.
  • tbjtbj Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. I am going to try another dealer. As I said, overall, I really like the car. I think the ride, handling and appearance are outstanding. However, the problems I'm having are annoying enough to make me get rid of it if they aren't fixed soon. (In addition to the problems I described, the car also often has a slight shudder under light acceleration. I also sometimes feel a similar, but more pronounced, shudder as the transmission shifts.)
  • cannon1017cannon1017 Member Posts: 1
    I am having a proble that has reocurred 5 time. The engine revs to 6K RPM and loses power then the "service engine" light comes on. They have replicated the problem at the dealership one time but cannot fix it. They already replaced the pedal per the recall. GM is really dragging their feet on this and I am on the verge of contacting an attorney. Anyone else having a similar problem?
  • stlgasmanstlgasman Member Posts: 141
    The dealer retorqued the screws and lubricated the rail but it only worked for a few days.
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    Well, with the advent of the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8, it's becoming painfully obvious that Chrysler and not GM is really interested in their performance vehicle programs. If GM were really in the game, we would of had an SRX-V by now built upon a vehicle platform that has a real performance pedigree (Sigma). Instead, GM has only themselves to blame and are not losing more high profit dollars to DaimlerChrysler. Amazing.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    How long have you had your SRX?
    Hope you are enjoying it and the added room.
    Do you still have the CTS?

My SRX will be 2 years old March 4th.
    Only drove it 5300 miles last year but
    16,000 miles on the '04 GTO!

I am still enjoying my SRX. I would actually like
    to get another one with the Driver Level One package and
    heated seats w/ power passenger.
    Really missing the heated seats.

'07 will bring a new interior and I really wish GM would get the 300hp V6 ready. I can't believe that the lowly Explorer offers a 6 speed but not the SRX.
    When the SRX came out I really felt it was overpriced.
    The V6 had a MSRP of $38,690.
    The new MSRP is now $36,990.

At $36,990 it is one of the best SUV values out there.
  • zerocarzerocar Member Posts: 3
    Hello, i'm new to this forum. I've read all the post until my eyes bulgded out. I can't find any 0-60 specs on the v8. anybody have this info.
    300 hp v6???????????????????????????????????

Where did you hear about this? Do you have any links? Meybe GM will combine VVT with direct injection and show toyota that America still has plenty of fight left. :mad: :D:blush: :shades:
  • nascarqueen24nascarqueen24 Member Posts: 25
    Well, I was poised to purchase the SRX until the review came in our local papers (Toronto) on the new Audi Q7. The reviews were outstanding and the price point is almost exactly per the SRX ($55,000 Cdn).

Sooooooo, I am not naive in that Audi parts and service cost WAY more than GM's (my dad is a mechanic for 52 years). I prefer the SRX styling. But....I have been less than impressed with the families fleet of GM products (a Century, Montanna and Rendevous).

I am seriously thinking of going the Audi route because I am fed up with the poor quality GM product lately.

What are people's opinions?

NascarQueen24
    I have and AWD V8 loaded with everything and here is what I know:

MotorTrend had an AWD shoot out in Oct 2004 that involved an SRX V8, BMW x5 4.4, Infinity FX 45, and '03 Cayenne. The SRX was reported to be the fastest of the group at 0-60 in 6.4 sec and quarer Mi @ 14.6. 2nd place went for the Infinity at 6.5 & 17.3 sec.

This sounded too fast to be true.

Edmunds had a shoot out that included the X5 4.4i, FX 45, and ML500. The caddy tied for last with the ML at 7.4 0-60 time, the FX was first at 6.8.

I had a chance to go head to head with a '03 Cayenne, It was too close with the SRX edging the Porsche only by the front fender in the 1/4 mile. It was nice though to see a Cadillac beat a Porsche.

I did test my 0-60 but it was a lousy 7.5 sec. I blamed that on the weather, it was mid summer and quite humid. Winter (more close to typical spring US weather) 0-60 tests are normally about 0.4 sec quicker, which should put the SRX at 7.1.

Finally, Automotive.com review states, "The 4.6-liter V8 delivers lots of power. Cadillac's latest generation Northstar V8 is rated at 320 horsepower and 315 pounds-feet of torque. With the V8, the SRX can
    accelerate from 0-60 mph in 6.2 seconds (6.9 for the heavier all-wheel-drive version), according to Cadillac. I personally think 6.9 for the AWD is about right. Note that Cadillac numbers are normally for the base (lighter) model of each category. Add the massive glass roof and other options and performance can suffer to upto 0.5 seconds.

I wish I did not get the AWD, I would have enjoyed the extra acceleration cick.
    There is a direct injection version of the 3.6L reportedly with 305 hp.

Also there will be a Sport version of the SRX released in 2007.

I do not know when the SRX will get the 6 speed or the higher output V6.

I can tell you that production for the '06 model year is higher than '05, so maybe the price decrease will bring more sales and possibly more interest from Cadillac in the SRX.