Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Cadillac SRX

Comments

• Options
    e052756e052756 Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I have been anxious to see the new 2007's and just this weekend saw the new interior at the dealership. IT IS ABSOLUTELY A BIG UPGRADE. We had already loved the rest of the vehicle.......now Cadillac has completed the package. We are going to order a 2007 V8 shortly.
  • Options
    sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    GM's website does not indicate any axle changes for 2007.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    My '04 SRX w/ 31K miles had an interesting issue over the weekend.
    We drove to Knoxville for a wedding and got out of the car and noticed a 4' long strand of "hair" coming out of the right muffler.
    It was weird to say the least.
    When we got to the wedding there was another 3' long strand of what I determined was fiberglass.
    I then realized it must be the batting/insulation in the muffler and that the baffles must have corroded allowing the backpressure to blow it out.
    My delaer called Techinical service and there have been 2 other cases reported.
    I have a complete new catback system on order which is 1 piece!
    Will be installed next week.
    Good thing it is under warranty because a dual muffler cat back system has got to cost at least $1K!!
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • Options
    Does this mean that a "general discussion" is no longer allowed? Do we need to have a serious reason to post? Or do you want a hundred different topics for the SRX? Is that really easier?
  • Options
    As long as they're open feel free to post!

tidester, host
  • Options
    sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    This happens with a lot of cars, not just the SRX. It is unusual for a car as young as 3 years old under warranty.

My 2005 SRX V6 just past 19.5K miles. So far so good. It's been a tireless reliable shuttle for my wife and kids. My wife still compains about the mileage (only 16 mpg average). Heck I think the new 403 HP Escalade can do that these days. The 3.6L V6 us ok for power, but other marques seem to have better efficiency....Nissan/Infiniti excepted.
  • Options
    We have been pulling right under 20mpg for both trips we made to the mountians.
    The trip to Knoxville, thru the mountians of NC and a trip on the 13th to the Hendersonville which include climbing to Mt. mitchell 30-35mph.

The '07s are rated at 24mpg.

Mileage in the city hovers around 16mpg just like yours.
  • Options
    Interesting, I wonder what they changed to get the highway miles per gallon up to 24? Maybe the fifth gear is a little taller....it certainly doesn't have the six speed tranny.

We don't do a lot of steady state highway driving on this so we're right at 16 MPG on average. The previous 2003 CTS we owned did better over the same routes than just the city MPG figure.
  • Options
    jschunkejschunke Member Posts: 13
    Some have mentioned a shudder
    from the torque lock converter
    on the SRX. Is that problem
    exhibited on both AWD and RWD?
  • Options
    bparmleybparmley Member Posts: 6
    The new torque converter solved the problem on my 04 SRX V8 AWD
  • Options
    vangvang Member Posts: 12
    We've been looking at some of the 06 low mileage used inventory and wondered if anyone could give an educated guess when some of the 07 V8's might start to surface for sale?

Also, if you could wait for anytime of the year, when do you think is the best time to pick up a used SRX? Or new?

Van G
  • Options
    If you want a 2006 SRX, then now is probably good. The 2007's will probably be best for price around September of next year, after the 2008 model year begins.
  • Options
    From what I've read the 07 SRX interior improved quite a bit. Do you think it is worth waiting until the used 07's hit the market?

We've got an 03 Jetta GLI with 50K on it that we could drive until next Sept.

Van G
  • Options
    I have not looked at a 2007. The pictures do show more wood trim. The V8 also comes with a 6 speed automatic instead of the 5 speed. If you get the Nav, then the 2007 Nav gets a DVD player instead of the 6 CD changer.
  • Options
    Cadillac has a pretty steep depreciation curve so I think we are going to wait for used 07's to hit the market.

Had a look at the two years side by side today and the 07 interior changes are pretty significant. Good job by the design team.

I see that Buick has just entered the lux CUV market with the Enclave! So that adds to my list with Dodge Magnum, Lexus RX440h, and BMW X5.

Van G
  • Options
    readerreaderreaderreader Member Posts: 253
    Here are some that I can find since people seem interested:

First an exterior shot--

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And now the interior--

• Options
    1cigar1cigar Member Posts: 1
    My SRX has only 800 miles on it and has been back to the the dealer I bought it at 3 times and to another dealer for 4 days and I have had this car for less than 30 days. Both dealers don't have to many ideas and have been on the phone with the factory tech guys. This isn't a new model year so you can't even give them that. I have been on the phone with Cadillac service center and get no place except give them more time to fix it. Not really something you want to hear when you get a new car. Anyone else have this issue. I went by the dealer today and almost cried to see how many pieces it is in.
  • Options
    marcus9marcus9 Member Posts: 6
    Hi all,
    Anyone find the ride height to be too low compared to other SUV/Crossover vehicles? Looking to get something for my Mother who wants feel safer by being higher up. The Escalade and it's competition may be a bit too high for her to climb into on a daily basis.
    thanks.
  • Options
    garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    It has ground clearance of over 8" - how much do you need? That's plenty to go through snow, over rough roads etc.

Most of the crossovers have around 8" of clearance. Vehicles with off-road pretensions have 10" or more. The higher clearances extract a pretty big price in handling, access, and rollover risk.
  • Options
    readerreaderreaderreader Member Posts: 253
    Jim Taylor is the General Manager of Cadillac

Direct video link:

http://www.autolinedetroit.tv/autoline/watch.php?stream=1103

And here is a NAIAS picture:

• Options
    fireguy1fireguy1 Member Posts: 5
    04 srx in mass under 20 perfect cond inside and out car fax good,has everything previous lexus owner so hoping i have as good luck with it.yea resale is issue but wanted crossover style with luxury, and the price was right,buttt know i have learned to program smart key for spares is problem.any suggestions post in smart key forum thanks

p.s.runs like a dream very happy with it
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • Options
    garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    Are you related to Jack Kerouac?
  • Options
    susanw6susanw6 Member Posts: 32
    After shopping online and visiting 3 other dealerships, I just leased a 2007 SRX for what I believe to be the best price around. I got a 2007 V6 SRX w/Premium package ($4100) and utility package ($1125), in White Diamond. MSRP is $43,455. I put down $2000 in GM Mastercard rewards and for a 39 month lease w/15,000 miles/year I am paying $470.00/mo

They had others vehicles in other colors with the same options that were $40 more per month, but they said this one was an "older age model", meaning it was one of the first few they got in from Detroit in October, so there was some add'l money Cadillac was providing them on it.

My only concern was that it had 130 miles on it and I've never bought or leased a new car with more than 15 miles on it. I made them check the computer to see how those miles got there and when it arrived at the dealership on Oct 24, it already had the 130 miles (I actually saw this). They said it was not a dealerhisp transfer, nor a demo. They said that maybe it was used as a test model by the factory. Never believing anything a dealership says, I'm skeptical, however, I still think I got a good deal and since its a lease, as opposed to a purchase, I'm O.K. with it.

Anyone ever heard of such high mileage on a new car?
  • Options
    They may have let a number of different people take it for a test drive in November, December and January.
  • Options
    susanw6susanw6 Member Posts: 32
    Thats what I thought, but when I saw the receiving info in the computer, it said that it arrived at the dealership from the automaker in Detroit with 130 miles on it. Does that sound right?? :confuse:
  • Options
    Ah, I missed that point. That is unusual, but the factory may have done some testing with it for some reason.
  • Options
    autohound1autohound1 Member Posts: 45
    I am looking at used 2004/2005 SRX's (v6 and v8), but am still a bit apprehensive about buying one and have a few questions I'd like to ask of current or former SRX owners. I've not owned any GM products for a while and I'm a bit nervous about reliability, maintenance costs, and mpg. But having test driven an SRX, I'm quite impressed with the vehicle. I've read many posts in this forum and other reviews, but still come away not really having a good feeling for the true cost of owning one, especially compared to the foreign makes which I've owned and loved and found to be very reliable and inexpensive to own (Mazda, Honda, and Toyota).

So here's a few of the questions I have.

It appears average mpg I could expect for v6 is about 18mpg or so and v8 16mpg -- maybe add 1mpg if it's 2WD only. Would you say that is an accurate assumption or could I expect better mpg than that?

I understand the v6 takes regular. Does the v8 also use regular or does it require premium?

What common problem areas should I look out for, and if off-warranty, what approx costs could I expect for these repairs?

How much do standard maintenance items cost (oil changes, brakes, rotors, fluids), relative to other makes (Japanese & European)? Point of reference: I'm used to $300-350 for 30k maintenance intervals and maybe $450 at 60k/90k intervals.

Would you recommend this vehicle to someone who wants a vehicle that won't have to go to the shop very often, except for standard maintence, and really needs a vehicle that is reliable and relatively easy to maintain for a reasonable cost?

I really like these new Cadillacs, especially the 2007....very impressive....and would like to own a domestic vehicle again, but only if it makes sense to do so. Thanks for your time.
  • Options
    n7donn7don Member Posts: 188
    I can only comment on one of your questions regarding fuel requirements. Per the owners manual, the V8 is designed for 91 octane but will run on 87. It states your vehicle's acceleration may be reduced and you may notice a slight audible knocking noise. We just bought an 07 V6. Presently less than 300 miles so can't comment on your other questions. I generally do routine oil & filter changes myself but understand most owners don't.
  • Options
    I don't have an SRX, but I do have a 2002 Seville LS (275 hp FWD northstar). I have about 55,000 miles on the car at this point in time. I let the computer tell me when to change the oil, which has been at 10,000 intervals. I am still on the original brake pads and the rotors are not warped yet. I do like to keep about 3 seconds behind the car in front so that I don't have to hit the brakes hard or often. Apart from something that was fixed under warranty, all I have done is oil changes. I think that the air filter was changed and probably should need changed at the next oil change. The coolant is supposed to have a 5 year life, and was changed when the transmission needed a soleniod. I use synthetic oil, which makes the oil change a bit more expensive, but with a 10,000 change interval, the cost is not more than changing every 3000 with conventional oil. I do know that it got a new fuel filter at least once. I am hoping that I will have traded for a program SRX before I need another oil change. I have been rotating my tires my self, which is about as easy or as quick as taking the car somewhere to have it done. I also know that the bolts are tightend evenly.

The SRX's tires can't be rotated in the usual fashion, as the rear tires are bigger than the front.
  • Options
    mvd1mvd1 Member Posts: 30
    What's the latest experience with oil consumption in the Northstar V8? I'm considering ordering a 2007 SRX with the V8, but I'm concerned about stories I've read about this engine. My Lexus 32 valve V8 with 40K miles burns no oil between changes (~5K miles). Thanks!
  • Options
    When will Cadillac roll out the 08 SRX?
  • Options
    williams13williams13 Member Posts: 1
    This may sound stupid but I have a 2004 SRX and I cannot not figure out how to change the front turn signal bulb. Manual says remove protective cover under the car. Any of you guys know what exactly I am supposed to remove :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    Check this out! Auto Parts Bargains and Coupons

Feel free to add your own to the growing list. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    The RWD northstar engine is not the same engine as the FWD. However, my FWD 2002 Seville goes about 10,000 miles between oil changes (computed by the oil monitor). I have been using Mobil 1, and have to add a quart every 2000 miles or so.
  • Options
    stevehollysteveholly Member Posts: 26
    Sorry for the late post - just read your note.
    Had to do this for our '04 SRX as well.

You can't do it yourself.
    The entire bumper assembly fascia has to come off to get at it - yup - true!
    They say it's to prevent easy theft of light assemblies.

Anyway - it's a warranty item - even the bulb.
    Take it in and they should fix it right up for you.
  • Options
    gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    ...it's off my list for a potential purchase.

Just sat in an '07 and the car's interior looks and feels fantastic.

I just could not find a comfortable seating position... 6 foot 4 frame is just too big for this car (most cars, actually). My knee hits the console and my head hits the headliner no matter how many adjustments I make to the seat.

I gotta give kudos to caddy for making this car look so good inside and out -- the interior quality really impressed me.

I got a chance to look at the escalade and I fit perfectly but the third row design leaves a lot to be desired.
  • Options
    I own a 2005 SRX and I'm 6'11". If I can find a confortable driving position for this car, then I'm surprised you cannot. And no car gives me a perfect seating position...not with a 40" inseam.
  • Options
    6'11"... WOW!!! I'm sure you get that response alot.

I adjusted that seat ALL the way back and down as far as it would go... I still felt my hairs touching the headliner and my knee rubbed against the center console... perhaps I could have adjusted the seat further and didn't do it?

I'll give it another try when the chance comes up.
  • Options
    stevehollysteveholly Member Posts: 26
    Just curious if anyone knows....
    We love our 2004 SRX and will likely get another one at the end of the year.
    Does anyone know if they will start offering bluetooth or a backup camera in the 2008 model?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    I was told by a dealer the 08 due in the fall will be almost identical to the 07 except for an update in electronics like the bluetooth and new nav system.

He didn't mention rear camera.
  • Options
    Knees brushing up against the center console is a standard part of life for me. The make-or-break decision for me is if the contact is confortable over extended periods of time. For example, the biggest problem I have with some many vehicles is not enough room between the center console and the steering wheel. That is a dangerous situation which is often a problem when I rent unfamiliar cars on business trips. I will refuse anything I don't think I can operate safely.

I probably would not be happy about the headliner issue. My legs are longer than my torso, but I'm used to reclining the seat back far enough to adjust since my arms are long enough (38" sleeves) to compensate.
  • Options
    marcy42marcy42 Member Posts: 6
    I HAVE A 04 SRX AWD V8. THE FRONT & REAR TIRES ARE DIFFERENT SIZES. i HAVE REPLACED THE FRT TIRES ONCE ALREADY AND NOW, AT 48,000 MILES, THE FRT AGAIN NEED REPLACEMENT. CADDY SAYS NOT TO ROTATE DUE TO THE DIFFERENT SIZES. ANYONE KNOW WHAT HAPPENS IF I ROTATE THEM ANYWAY?
  • Options
    I'm 6'8". And don't have much problems with fitting in my '04 SRX. The '07s have less room between the console and steering wheel. Becuase the area buy the radio is curved more and I think may be a little wider. I can still fit in it though.
    Here are a couple of suggestions:
    Make sure that the adjustable pedals are all the way forward.
    The seat will go down if you push down on the front of the adjuster then the rear of the adjuster. If you push on the center of the adjuster it won't go down. It will take that seat down pretty low.

Also, ultraview models have less headroom. I have to have the seat all the way down. Which is fine because it allows me to be able to see overhead lights better.

With my non Ultraview '04 i can drive with either the seat all the way up or the seat all the way down and still have headroom. With the seat all the way up I move the sunvisor over to the driver's door, which allows a better view of stoplights.

I think if sevenfeet0 and I can get comfortable you should too.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Thanks!

The model I sat in had the ultraview feature --
    I'll try one without it.. I also did not adjust the pedals... gotta give it another shot....

This is a very nice car at a reasonable price...
  • Options
    cpsmith13cpsmith13 Member Posts: 6
    Isn't that crazy! I have been taking care of my own car for 20 years & you have to be an engineer to change a signal bulb! Like they are never going to burn out - I had to drive for a month with no front left turn signal until I could get an dealer appointment. So for 4 weeks I got cursed, screamed & honked at everytime I was in an intersection making a left turn. Lots of fun! Let us change our own bulbs Detroit!!!
  • Options
    You can do one of two things: you can rotate the tires from one side to the other, but the bigger rear tires probably will not work in front; you also could replace the bigger rear tires with the same size as you have in front, then you could rotate them in some standard rotation scheme moving the rear tires forward and the front ones back. One thing that should be looked at is if the suspension is set up correctly. This was pointed out to you in the tire forum.
  • Options
    lwkosslwkoss Member Posts: 1
    I am going to order a new SRX and was wondering if anyone new if the Y45 option which says trailering equiptment comes with the trailer hitch? Any help would be appreciated