Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Pacifica: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• aviateaviate Member Posts: 31
    According to my local dealer, Chrysler added the loaner program to all Pacificas purchased or leased a few months ago. They do use rental companies like Enterprise. I am happy with the program and the Enterprise folks are easy to work with.
  • aviateaviate Member Posts: 31
    Our Pacifica started experiencing clicking noise during slow operations requiring turning the wheel. Like turning into a tight parking spot or making a U turn. We have the All Wheel Drive model. After investigative work and talking with Chrysler Tech support, the dealer ordered a new Power Transfer Unit. This is a major fix and took them a day to accomplish. The problem is now gone. Kudos to our local dealer and Chrysler.
  • toyrztoyrz Member Posts: 1
    MY PAC IS ONLY A MONTH OLD AND I HAVE BROUGHT IT IN 3 TIMES FOR THE TIRE SENSOR WARNING LIGHT GOING OFF AND ON. THE DEALER KEEPS ADJUSTING THE TIRE PRESSURE AND SENDING ME ON MY WAY. I BELIEVE IT IS A PROBLEM WITH THE SENSOR ITSELF. IS THERE A WAY TO SET THE SENSITIVITY OF THIS SENSOR? HAS ANYONE DEALT WITH THIS PROBLEM?
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    this is great news, i am off to call the dealer to get my pac in for the fix !!! its really annoying lately on the rough bumpy icy roads lately here.

==========

OH btw the snow tires are great :-) (love these Pirellis) work great on ice too. well as good as anything can be on ice. It pulled me up my icy driveway last night. I couldnt even walk on the driveway it was that icy (and its sloped 40 degrees upward)
  • dajamiradajamira Member Posts: 4
    We've had our Pac for a month now and put 1300 miles on it, and I'm bothered by something I've never felt driving another vehicle before.

When I'm moving and take my foot off the accelerator, as expected, the tach shows the RPMs decreasing. Without allowing the vehicle to lose any speed, I then return my foot to the pedal and hold it steady. At this point, the RPMs begin at a higher point than they were previously, then almost immediately drop back down to where they should be. I can even get it to happen while accelerating slightly.

This is annoying to say the least, but it also gives the feeling of power loss while driving. As with every car I've ever driven before, I expect the RPMs to go right to where the pedal position would suggest, and stay there, unless I'm intentionally trying to accelerate.

I have the car in the shop right now for an unreleated issue, but when I asked the tech about it and took him for a drive, he said it was because the transmission was changing to a higher gear than needed initially, and was normal. Another tech suggested that it can take up to 6000 miles before the transmission "learns" my driving habits, so it should change.

Has anyone else felt this in their car? And if you have, did it "adjust" as it broke in?
  • jonshari1999jonshari1999 Member Posts: 6
    We had a similar problem with one of our tires. What we did notice was we would get the sensor warning at night or very early in the morning (when the temperature is cold around 50's). But as the day got warmer, the sensor warning went away. So my husband thought it's due to air being more compact when cold and expands when warm/hot. So he fixed the problem by having the psi well above the sensor limit. Infact he had all tires pressurized at the max tire rating to have the tires last longer, ofcourse that meant a little bit more of a harder ride.
    When we bought our car, my husband's first complaint was that it seemed under-powered. Sometimes, it would rev too much. We've driven it 3300 miles since then and he has said it actually drives better. Now I don't know if the car adjusted to our driving, or he just got used to the car. If you ask me however, I didn't notice anything. I'm happy with our car.
    when was your car made? does the key say X2 next to the rear hatch button ? If not, you may have a unit that was made early last year... there is a TSB for reprogramming the earlier transmissions for loss of power in 2nd gear. (do a search on the early messages on this board)
  • russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    CAREFUL! If you inflated the tires to the maximum pressure on the tire sidewall they are WAY overinflated! This could be VERY dangerous on wet or icy pavement, resulting in a loss of control.
    You shouldn't inflate the Pacifica tires to more than 35#, cold.
    You don't say where you live, but tire pressure drops 1# for each 10 deg. drop in ambient temperature. We had a bout of 0 deg. temp. (Buffalo, NY area) and my tires dropped to 28#, resulting in the warning light coming on.
    Raising the cold pressure to 34# solved the problem.
    Also, if you had the tires rotated, be sure thr dealer "retrained" the wheel sensors.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    What is the process for retraining the tire pressure sensors on a Pacifica built in Aug 03 and after.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• economisteconomist Member Posts: 1
    i am well down the road in the process of buying a pacifica, but a friend of mine who works in the auto industry (a "neutral" research group) told me that folks at DC have said that the transmission has "issues".

i'm hoping this is just a red herring, because i'd really like to buy one.

thanks for your feedback!
  • jpeppingjpepping Member Posts: 4
    OK, this may seem like a silly question, but with all the issues describied, I would like to know when my Pac was built.. Where can I find a VIN decoder for the Pacs??

thanks

Jim
  • b25nutb25nut Member Posts: 202
    Dajamira: I definitely noticed a difference in the shifting pattern of my Pacifica's transmission after 3000 miles. I guess it really does "learn" our driving habits. The gear shifting has been perfect for the last 11,000 miles.
    russ ... we live in cali where on the average 50's is about as cold as you can get (ofcourse there are exemptions). Speaking of rotation, isn't there a portable handheld device that we could purchase to retrain the sensors ourselves? I could have sworn I read somewhere that there is this device that's magnetic that you just wave over the sensor or something like that. Ofcourse, its probably just better to get it done by the dealer (for free) rather than buying this thing.
  • dajamiradajamira Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the responses. I'll keep an eye on it in the next couple of months.
  • ms_mayorms_mayor Member Posts: 113
    I haven't heard that there is anything to be concerned about.

All of the information I learned about the Pac before I bought it said that the engine and tranny used are the same as the 300M (also the same combo in my husband's 2000 LHS). I learned that when first introduced (back in '98 or '99, I think) there were problems but that by 2000 all the kinks were worked out.

I can say that my husband's LHS has 70K trouble-free miles with his engine/tranny. 7K miles on my Pac and no problems at all. If anything, to echo other comments on the board, mine is running even better than ever now that the engine is broken in and has 'learned' my driving habits.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I used to lease a '99 300M and loved it. No tranny problems. And most other 300M people on this board did not experience any tranny problems either.

However there was an issue with the engine speed sensor that needed to be replaced (1 hour at the dealer, cheap fix, the part is $25, but it is under warranty anyway). When that engine speed sensor went bad, the tranny restricted itself to only using 1st and 2nd gears (limp mode). It may be worth just buying the engine speed sensor and learning how to change it yourself.

Compare that to the complete tranny replacement I had to experience after 6,100 miles of driving my brand new 2002 Acura TL-S (which replaced the 300M). That took only 10 days to replace it.
    I have heard that later production Pacificas do not need retraining of the sensors after wheel rotation.
    Also, i'm not sure if thr training "magnet" can be purchased.
    I am going to check on both with my 5*.
    you can find the mag for the M300 should be the same (the m300 by the way they gave the mag with the car !!!) ... if chrysler is so customer concious, they would have sent all registered early owners (where they do need to retrain the sensors) a free magnet to do this ...

I am not sure if mine is even working, as I never retrained it and have had the tires rotated at Firestone and also replace with snow tires now, sensor has not gone off once ...

as far as retraining. do a search on this board, someone posted a great link with pictures and everything on how it works on a jeep. same thing though.
  • cmschiscmschis Member Posts: 2
    I test drove the pacifica last night and really liked it. It seems like the ideal car for me, seating for the occasional 6, I loved the rear seats, so comfortable and LOVE those rear seat heaters--a rare perk in this price range. The engine did seem a little sluggish, but not as bad as my 03 Jeep Liberty (which I HATE). The catch is all these problems listed on here are making me gunshy. I don't want to spend a lot of time at the dealer's service shop. I'd hate to regret the purchase or jump to something as boring as the toyota highlander...I need advice from current owners.
  • millpark26millpark26 Member Posts: 14
    If it helps any, there are twice as many posts in the Highlander "problems & solutions" forum as there are here in the Pacifica forum. LOL!

I traded in my 2002 Acura MDX for the Pacifica I'm currently driving. The MDX is way overpriced (in my opinion....) and it was one of the most boring vehicles I've ever driven.

I think there will always be quirks to encounter with any vehicle, including the Pacifica. Some folks seem to end up with some vehicles that are more problematic than others while some have the same vehicle for years and never have one single issue with it.

Forums like this are a great place to share information with fellow owners but, for all the "problems" you read about, there are generally way more people that may not have any problems whatsoever and never seek out forums like this.

I love my Pacifica and don't regret my purchase at all. Good luck with your decision!
  • b25nutb25nut Member Posts: 202
    Cmschis: You won't regret choosing the Pacifica. Chrysler has done more things right with this vehicle than any other manufacturer has done. Quirks that can be an everyday irritation in most cars are virtually non-existent in the Pacifica. The only one that affects me is vision while backing up in a parking lot, but that's the price you pay for great styling. The feel of the ride, steering and braking are just right. Most of the electronic conveniences can be programed on or off so you can customize them to your own preferences. Memory seats and mirrors, individual climate controls and extremely comfortable second row seats with very easy access spoil you immediately.
       Not once have I seen another vehicle and thought, "I should have bought that instead". The Pacifica is just the right size for me. The Mirrano and RX-330 are too small and SUV's are...SUV's. The Pacifica gives you more for your money than anything on the market.
  • bossman4bossman4 Member Posts: 6
    I may be not seeing things correctly, but I looked in the manual and the driver's side heated seat button is supposed to be positioned on the door panel just above the seat cushion button and in front of the seat back button. On my leather seated Pac with the heated seat option, it is not there. On the passenger side it is in the correct spot (I see it) and I have two buttons in the back (I see them)for the middle seats. Surely I didn't get the wrong door panel by mistake....
    I saw in one of the messages that a person got a passenger door panel with a button even though they did not have the heated seat option.

Somebody please tell me where it is at, so I don't have to go to the dealer and tell them I have the wrong door panel. I feel so good about the car, I don't want to be dissapointed.
  • alisacalisac Member Posts: 19
    Has anyone figured out how to get the small plastic panel that is sitting on the floor between the driver's seat and the driver's door to stop popping out? It is not attached, but has a couple of pieces on it that insert into the holes in the floor. I can be careful when getting in and out of the car not to dislodge it, but invariably I find it popped out when a parking lot attendant parks my car...

Thanks,

Alisa
    Talked to the dealer today. The button is indeed missing and it will take 8 to 9 days to get the right door panel.
    The salesman said that the dealership had just changed out another door panel.
    This does not make me feel comfortable about the quality of the car.
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    cmschis
    I'm an owner and I haven't had any problems with my Pacifica. It's the perfect vehicle for my family.
    I think the problems you are reading about in these forums are very much in the minority, less than 1% of the owners. You're going to see more owners complain when they have a problem so that they can find out if the problems are common, or if other owners have solutions. The satisfied customers rarely speak out. If you scan the other forums, you'll find customers complaining about Hondas and Toyotas which are supposed to be very high on the reliability scale, but if you based your reliability opinion on the forums, you would never buy anything.
  • prasanna777prasanna777 Member Posts: 6
    Hello,

I own a Pacifica with 'leather' seating. Recently when I was cleaning the seats, upon close observation, I noticed that only the portion at the center of the seat is leather and the rest is man made material, but certainly not leather. I think this is plain deception! Has anyone noticed this?

Regards,
    Prasanna
  • trarontraron Member Posts: 29
    The Chrysler description of seating reads for example: Light Taupe in leather-trim, keyword "trim". I think most mfr's supply the seating the same way. For example MB does have leather trim or full leather options on their vehicles.
  • ramzey28ramzey28 Member Posts: 130
    The seats are comfortable and the heated option is great but I did notice that the quality of the seat (leather or man made product) is not that great. Seems to wear easy and hard to clean. I just hope they will look good when I turn my lease in but Im nervous about it. I also dont like the fabric they put on the lower part. The part your leg hangs over in the back seats. I have kids whose legs dont reach the floor and in the winter that fabric stains due to snow and mud on their shoes. Their feet are right at that portion of the seat. Why could they not put the leather over the whole seat, would it really have cost that much more and at 35k, whats up! Don't get me wrong with my disappointment, I do love the car beside these little things.
  • pssimonpssimon Member Posts: 144
    This is just a heads up for anyone that took delivery in the July timeframe.

Came back from the dealer yesterday and had the following activities aside from the oil change.... The battery was replaced because it was failing (after only 13K miles and 6 months). The information display under the temp gauge has failed. It has been ordered. Now that they were in there doing stuff the NAV system doesn't work either.

At least they said they would have a loaner for me when the parts come in. We'll see! Hope I don't end up with the '87 Acclaim I got last time!
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    Prasanna,
    Almost all cars with leather seats only have leather in the center seating area, the rest is man-made (vinyl), even in the very expensive cars. Some do a better job of matching the leather and vinyl than others.
  • cmschiscmschis Member Posts: 2
    Wanted to thank everyone for the positive feedback. I purchased a pacifica today. So far I love it, some of my friends have been very impressed with the car as well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't run into some of the problems listed here...

Thanks Again.
    sorry to hear of all the problems, they all sound relatively new to this board. I got my pac around July and dont have any battery issues.

As far as loaners I get what ever enterprise has around. usually a Pontiac 4 door of some sort or sometimes a Pickup 4X4 if they have one (got a nice new Dodge Ram pickup before...
  • azpacificaazpacifica Member Posts: 20
    Since the end of September my Pac has been running with the world's most useless and annoying gas gauge and just recently a cruise control that would just shut down whenever it felt like it, albeit not very often. My dealer has tried everything that DCX offered but it took until last week to get a real fix (I hope). New software was finally released to fix these problems. I have now been through one tank of fuel and the gauge appears to be operating well.

Now if I can only get DCX to release the software that increases horse power, improves FM reception, removes the intermittent rattle in the dash and produces speed sensitive steering I'll be a happy camper ;-)
  • pssimonpssimon Member Posts: 144
    Glad to hear your gauge was fixed. Its horrible to run around using your odometer as your gas gauge (been there , done that... just not in the Pacifica).

Looks like I all of the software patches you are looking for except for the horse power or gas mileage patch. All other items functioning well (if you don't count my information display and now NAV system not functioning! Parts are on the way.).
  • prasanna777prasanna777 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. But I still feel that Pacifica's real leather content is less than some of their other models like the 96 LHS that I own (at least it appears like that). I wish Chrysler did a better job on the seating surfaces.
    Regards.
  • mnpacificamnpacifica Member Posts: 5
    Well, my Pacifica(black/black AWD) is running great despite -25 weather and 10.5" of snow (46" for the season so far). Everything is still working - battery, tailgate, fuel gauge, cd player. My one issue is that it still wants to stall periodically. With the really cold weather, I seem to have avoided the stalling. I drive 7 miles to work and I don't think it has the chance to warm up enough to get the rpm's down low enough. I haven't seen any posts lately on the stalling issue. Has everyone had their stalling issue resolved or are they/you still dealing with it?
    Any feedback is appreciated
  • exparrotexparrot Member Posts: 1
    Howdy All...
    Love my AWD Pacifica, love it!

however I am in the middle of something wierd,
    and this is the second time it has happened.

The memory seats, both of them, don't respond to
    the controls!
    I hear the motors clicking, but no motion on the seats.
    This happened once before, with the seat tilted all the way back, and I determined at the time,
    (probably incorrectly) that it might have something
    to do with the keys (???). like my wife locked or unlocked the car with her key, while my key was in the ignition.
    Has anyone had a similiar experience?
    and more importantly, know how to solve it?
    Chrysler has no records in their database of this problem, and I'd like to avoid wasting days at the dealer.

thanks gang!
  • ecicero1ecicero1 Member Posts: 10
    The seat memory does not respond on my PAC. Haven't had it in for this problem. Also having trouble with the mirror memory. Are these two problems connected to the same software? Does anyone know, and has anyone had this problem?
  • wkellymcwkellymc Member Posts: 1
    Hi everybody.
       Some of the problems stated here are copies of my same annoyances.
    1. Since Delivery (Nov.'03), steering wheel is off center (no pull though) to the left. Dealer is saying "an inch or two off-center is normal". Yeah, riiiight. How come I took the PAC to Midas & they centered the wheel & said it was NOT normal to be off center,just lazy assemblers at the factory? Cost $59 bucks to be "normal".
    2. Outside left mirror doesn't go back to correct position when 1 or 2 buttons are pressed. Mirror moves but stops before correct spot. Dealer says "close to position is fine for system." I think that's a cop-out but I'm not about to tear it apart myself.
       The answer to the DVD monitor playing if closed is "yes". It does play while closed. Look at it at night,in the garage w/a movie in the player,you'll see a glow around the closed screen.
    3. Buffetting from open rear windows does happen but I crack the sunroof to alleviate the noise. I've had similar noise from other wagons. It is simply the 60+mph airflow being redirected into the car instead of around it. The noise happens more in wagons/suv's due to the longer interior for the air to flow into. Not a good thing in a 38K+ truck but a little understandable by design.

Can anyone tell me why the trip computer tells me I only have 225miles till empty when I fill the tank?? I bought the car & I used to show 363miles till empty.I've tried hitting the Reset button on the r.side but no success.

Thanks everbody! :-)
    Kelly/Almond Pac loaded.
    this should be calculated off your avg miles per gallon. so reset the avg miles per gal and fill up and see what it says.
    When we first received our Pacifica from our dealer near DC, I mentioned to the salesman that the headphones and remote were not there. He said stop by in a couple days to pick them up. OK I said. When we got home, we discovered that the driver's side heated seat button was missing on the door panel. Another call, it will take 10 to 15 days to get the correct door panel. Ok...so today we have a total of slow to moder ate 50 miles on the car (just like the owner's manual says) and we start heading toward a hockey tournament in New Jersey. I put in a Van Morrison album to listen to going to the tounament. Yikes, the second song has the dreaded crackling problem coming out the the Infinity sound system. One more thing...

So at 150 miles (alternating speeds as it says in the breakin section of the manual), I am calling my folks on the cell phone to tell them I bought a good looking Pac. Suddenly, off goes the chime and on goes the yellow engine light and I lose power and the engine starts bucking. We slow down and cross our fingers and look for a turnoff from I-95. I called Chysler Road Assistance, they say if it driveable go to the Jeep dealer in Aberdeen, MD. I get them on the phone at 12 Noon on Saturday and they say "don't come to us, go to the Chrysler dealer in town". I say thanks and get the number from them and we head that way and call ahead to get our loaner car. I stopped and the car dies and I try to restart the car...no luck...10 minutes later it does fire off. I get ahold of the Chrysler dealer and tell him I am coming and inform him I need the loaner car based on the premium care. He informs me that the Enterprise Car Rental is closed and they can't get one but we can drop the car off and rent a car from across the street from the Shell Dealer and pay for it ourselves.
    So I stumble into the delaer and I give the Roadside assistance a call to be sure that the rental is covered by Chysler, they say they have nothing to do with rentals. They give me the Chrysler 1-800 number for customer assistance....which is only open from 8 to 5 Fri through Mon. The service manager is surprised that the Roadside Assistance told me to drive it into the dealer (now 160 miles). So then I call my original salesman and he gives me a Chysler 1-800 number that is disconnected. I calll back roadside assitance and get the same answer as before...
    We get in the rental car from the Shell dealer and get to the Hockey tournament late, without our Pac. I question what is wrong with the engine and what other things are going to pop up with this vehicle. I am going through the lemaon law papers that I have.

Here I sit with expensive dead Pac with 160 miles on it, what would you do?
  • twoof1twoof1 Member Posts: 308
    Sounds like you are having a stretch of bad luck.
    The Chrysler Premium Care Plan loaner car program is available for SCHEDULED service appointments only. This is exactly the same as the plans offered by BMW, Mercedes, Lexus etc.)

It is always a good idea to give any vehicle a thorough going over prior to signing any paperwork so that you can identify any obvious problems ie missing remotes, missing heater switch button etc. This way you can include these mssing items in your negotiation. As an example, when I picked up my Pacifica, I noticed while inspecting the vehicle that one of the rear floor mats had a bad snag & tear in it. As part of my negotiation, I had them add it to the "Due Bill" and also had them include that they would FedEx the new floor mat to me within a week, or the deal would be void and I would be fully reimbursed with no penalty. Guess what? the mat showed up 3 days later as promised.

Remember up until you sign the deal for a new vehicle, you have all the power. After the deal is done, you give up much of the power position.

Good Luck and I hope you have better experiences with your Pacifica from here on out.
    I looked on the NHSTA web site to look at TSBs and complaints. I have not put mine up there yet, but I did find these below listed under complaints. The first two sound familiar to my latest situation.

VEHICLE HAS LESS THEN 4000 MILES. MULTIPLE ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS (FIRST TOW AT 120MILES). DEFECTIVE ENGINE WIRING @ FUEL INJECTORS CAUSING SEVERE BUCKING AND AND STALLING. ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH TRANSMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM CAUSING VEHICLE TO STAY IN 1ST GEAR AND SHOW CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. VEHICLE HAS BEEN TOWED 4 TIMES AND SPENT OVER 20 DAYS AT THE DEALER. I HAVE ONLY OWNED IT LESS THEN 4 MONTHS.

WHILE DRIVING AT 70 MPH ENGINE CHECK LIGHT CAME ON, THEN THE VEHICLE STARTED TO JERK AND STALL. DRIVER PULLED OFF THE ROAD. CONSUMER HAS CONTACTED THE DEALERSHIP ON TWO SEPARATE OCCASIONS, BUT THE PROBLEM STILL OCCURS.

WHILE DRIVE THE VEHICLE APPEARS TO SHUT OFF. I HAVE NO OTHER WAY TO DESCRIBE WHAT HAPPENS. IT IS LITERALLY AS THOUGH THE KEY WERE TURNED OFF (I.E. THE ENGINE STOPS, LOSS OF POWER STEER, LOSS OF POWER ASSIST BREAKING, LOSS OF ABS, NO INSTRUMENT PANEL LIGHTS TO EVEN INDICATE THERE WAS PROBLEM). THE ONLY SYSTEMS THAT REMAIN ACTIVE ARE THE ONES THAT WOULD NORMALLY BE ON WHEN THE KEY WERE IN THE ACCESSORY POSITION. THE VEHICLE WILL IMMEDIATELY RESTART AFTER BEING SHIFTED TO NEUTRAL. THIS HAS OCCURRED NUMEROUS TIMES WITH NO CONSISTENCY. (I.E. 70 MPH ON AN INTERSTATE, 15 MPH IN A PARKING LOT, 45 ON A SECONDARY ROAD, 5 MPH BACKING OUT OF THE DRIVEWAY)

Has anybody else seen these problems? I want the dealer to get this thing fixed right the first time....or get me another one that is right.
    When filling the gas tank, the ignition switch should be in the OFF position. If not, the gas gauge and DTE readings may be affected.

bossman, I feel your pain! It may be just dumb luck, but we put 130,000 miles on 2 300Ms, and 22,000 miles so far on our Pacifica with almost no problems.
    I hope you get everything resolved to your satisfaction, and have nothing but good experiences from now on!
  • alltorkalltork Member Posts: 13
    I believe Chrysler will be taking good care of customers on this one - dont panic
  • laurheislaurheis Member Posts: 57
    Two days after purchasing our Pacifica (400 miles on the odometer), the transmission stuck in first gear, and the speedometer stopped working. All of the LEDs lit up (P, R, N, D, Auto-shift.) Turning the car all of the way off reset whatever was going on. The dealer could not find the problem, and kind of told my husband that I did not know how to drive the car. We had the same problem again tonight. Anyone have a solution?
  • trarontraron Member Posts: 29
    Either go back to the dealer and demand action or take it to another dealer. If that doesn't work call Chrysler and speak to a factory rep! What is the build date of the car(inside drivers door on a tag)?
  • laurheislaurheis Member Posts: 57
    The build date is 4/03.
This discussion has been closed.