Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Cobalt

Comments

• Options
    theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    Chevy has done evil with the SS S/C coupe. When it was unveiled in LA, and at Detroit, they said that it was making 220 HP and it could make more with the exhaust tweaks they were working on. Well guess what, it makes 205HP, same as the Redline. Lies!
  • Options
    rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    ..but it does have a better interior.
  • Options
    montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Looked at GM Media site for the LA & Detroit Auto Shows press releases and they both say that the SS Supercharged horsepower rating would be released later.
  • Options
    alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    With all the photos already on the web, the underwhelming activity in this discussion group indicates such apathy that GM must juice-up the looks and/or interior, or something, if they hope to have a best seller (i.e. Cavalier) in the new Cobalt/Pursuit line!
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Er, I don't agree.

There is NO news on this car and hasn't been for months. There is a similar dearth of activity on other cars to be introduced this fall, such as the Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego.

Hold your horses.

Wait to diss the car until you have at least had the opportunity to see PRODUCTION models.

I saw the prototypes at the Detroit Auto Show (NAIAS) and was much impressed. This ain't no Cavalier.
  • Options
    Surely the 84 pictures at http://www.wieck.com/public, and the many other pictures at http://www.chevrolet.com/cobalt, are pretty indicative of what the 2005 Cobalt will look like. I see a Mazda3 front end (including the bulging hood I dislike in the Mazda3) attached to a Cavalier rear two-thirds. Others may well see something quite different. And, strange me, I have never seen very much wrong with Cavaliers. But my point is -- where is the enthusiasm within this discussion group? My last six cars have been: 1984 Cavalier hatchback, '87 Cavalier hatchback, '89 Cavalier coupe, '92 Cavalier coupe, '96 Cavalier coupe (which I still own) and a 2002 Mazda Protege. I have enjoyed every one of my Cavaliers and I had very little trouble with them. So I am not biased against Chevrolet in any sense. I just wish GM had gone for a bigger leap forward in styling.
  • Options
    jeigh1194jeigh1194 Member Posts: 6
    From what I've read of the specs for each trim of the Cobalt, Chevrolet is doing the ol' tease again.
    The LS and base models offer the manual transmission. But the SS model seems to be only offered with an automatic. For crying out loud why???
    If you want performance with the manual tranny then you'll have to step up to the supercharged model. Which doesn't really appeal to me because it'll probably require premium gas. Hello? Defeats the purpose of buying an 'economy' car.
    Why the hell isn't Chevrolet offering the SS model with a manual Getrag transmission like all the other trims?
    This pisses me off.
  • Options
    Do the math. Premium isn't the killer you may think. In our area it is $.10 more then regular. If you drove 18,000 per year and got 24 MPG, you would buy 750 gallons of gas. 750 gallons times the $.10 difference is $75 per year or $6.25 per month. Adjust the calcualtion for your needs, but I wouldn't rule out a car just on the need for premium.
  • Options
    bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    The manual in the SS models is due in June 05.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That's really dumb, the press will test automatics and call them slow. By the time it does come out they will have lost people's attention.

-juice
  • Options
    How do you know that? You work for GM?
  • Options
    No, I do not work for GM. That is the information I was given by a GM employee. Very credible.
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    the Cobalt isn't an economy car anymore. That niche is for the Daewoo rebadged Aveo. The Cobalt is a "premium sport compact car" (GM's words, not mine)
  • Options
    If the price matches the name "premium sport compact car", then I believe there will be few who will buy a Cobalt. Certainly very few of the former Cavalier fans (and there were many --- just check the overall sales figures).
  • Options
    theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    In the G6 press kit, it says it's not getting the 2.4L Ecotec until the 06 model year, and it will be automatic only, at least upon release. The same may be true for the Cobalt, I have to check that.
  • Options
    Cobalt gets a manual in June of 05. Could be a 06, not sure though.
  • Options
    Big mistake, how can you even call yourself a sport anything without a manual tranny?

The target audience is exactly the demographic that will care about tranny choices, too.

They're just saying the Aveo is the cheapy car now, so Cobalt doesn't have to be. And they hope it'll appeal to the trendy Sport Compact crowd. Premium also means those people are willing to pay more for it.

But after GM labeled its mininvans "Crossover Sport Vans" you know not to give one iota of credibility to the labels they assign.

-juice
  • Options
    The budget Cavalier shoppers who can't afford buying the "premium sport compact" Cobalt can always buy an Aveo, which some people think is a much better car than the Cavalier, even though it is a rebadged and imported Daewoo.
  • Options
    Having seen both at NAIAS, the Detroit Auto Show, I cannot imagine ANYONE would think the Aveo was a better car than the Cavalier. Anyone at all.

And the Cobalt appears to be worlds better than either.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    "Having seen both at NAIAS, the Detroit Auto Show, I cannot imagine ANYONE would think the Aveo was a better car than the Cavalier. Anyone at all."

Oh you've seen both! Consider changing your name to expertclineii, please. Just a bit of good-hearted chiding :)

Seriously, though... have you driven a Cavalier recently? I have. Its pathetic. Its MSRP is only loosely based in reality. The ride is terrible, but the handling doesnt feel nimble, the cockpit materials would embarass Fisher Price, driving position is awful. The headrests (which dont lock) are VINYL even on models priced at $17K, offset and side impact scores are disastrous, the seats are thin, uncomfortable, and poorly shaped, the warranty is poor, I could go on. The only redeeming feature is the Ecotec- a good engine, fairly refined (not class leading) offering good acceleration and fuel economy.

For the Cobalt to be anything but a home-run, comparatively, would be a downright shocker.

~alpha
  • Options
    Yeah, I rented a Sunfire convertible and it was so bad that I swore off that rental company entirely. If I want a drop-top now, I use a company that only carries Sebrings, so I don't get stuck with another J car.

There was lots of room for improvement, let's see how the Cobalt drives.

-juice
  • Options
    For myself, it's either the Chevy Cobalt SS with a manual tranny (fingers crossed).
    Or the Toyota Scion tC about to be released soon. That Scion tC is niiiiiiiiiice.
  • Options
    muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    My gut is telling me tC, but I'm going to have to drive them both.

I think that the SS Supercharged is going to walk all over the tC supercharged, and that is pretty important in this segment.
  • Options
    My post of May 3, 2004 lamented the fact that "the underwhelming activity in this discussion group indicates such apathy that GM must juice-up the looks and/or interior, or something, if they hope to have a best seller (i.e. Cavalier) in the new Cobalt/Pursuit line!"

My post of May 4, 2004 said "I have enjoyed every one of my Cavaliers and I had very little trouble with them. So I am not biased against Chevrolet in any sense. I just wish GM had gone for a bigger leap forward in styling".

Now I see there has been a gap of 34 days between postings in this discussion (from May 12th to June 15th). I believe the apathy has been sufficiently proven.
  • Options
    muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    I actually meant to say my gut is telling me Cobalt. That's weird.
    I'm actually pretty excited to see the Cobalt out on the road, but there isn't really much more to talk about until it gets here.
  • Options
    Alternator, it's pretty normal at this stage for discussion to die down for a while (or, worse, to go completely off topic until the hosts put a stop to it).

Besides, this car is not marketed towards enthusiasts. Wait and see. And remember, GM's primary goal is to raise its profit margin (or, rather, stop the loss margin) from the Cavalier...
  • Options
    at least this discussion is not veering off topic like some other discussions. And most discussions start to die down when there's a lack of information. The ones that keep on going either are off topic or they're talking about something only slightly related to what the discussion is actually about.
  • Options
    At the travelling GM Auto Show in Motion, the booklet indicates that the Cobalt LT is on display. Trying to get over to Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, MA this weekend.
    http://www.autoshowinmotion.com
  • Options
    When I went to the "vehicles gallery" in http://www.autoshowinmotion.com there was no Cobalt to be seen. Did I miss something? Maybe you should call someone and check before you travel to Foxboro.
  • Options
    I have the actual booklet given out at the show. A friend was there on Thursday, and dropped off a copy.

Chevrolet Pavilion
    Stop by the Chevrolet Pavilion to check out the all-new Chevrolet line-up. Feature vehicles will include hot products such as the Cobalt LT Sedan, Equinox, SSR, Colorado Extreme, Aveo, Malibu Maxx and much more!

But your right, still dosen't mean the car is there. A posted the link so any one that wanted to sign up for Foxboro, or the upcoming shows eleswhere, could check it out. Maybe someone will post back for sure to say its there. And I would be going to drive the GTO, GXP, and maybe a spin in the 325ia/ES330/C320. Cobalt and G6 sightings would just be a jump start on next years autoshows.
  • Options
    If you see Cobalt, let us know exactly what your impressions are. Interior still looks very Cavalier to me.
  • Options
    Here is an interesting interview of GM's Lori Queen (she is the new small car honcho at GM)

http://www.autoweb.lycos.com/content/research/index.cfm?id=10714;- - TAWEB&action=ShowArticle&aid=139128

She projects optimism, but the Cobalt images I've seen are not that encouraging IMO (I wish they were).
  • Options
    is encouraged by GM to be positive about the Cobalt in this preview :

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=19&article- _id=8207

but I'm not sure he is buying it.
  • Options
    tarquinitarquini Member Posts: 3
    I am not sure where you get the idea that the writer isn't "buying it", throughout the entire article he does state that he is trying to not over-do the praise or be over enthusiastic. But he does come off as very positive despite his caution with comments such as:

"Now the post-drive synopsis: The Cobalt has been to charm school. That?s a fact, not an impression, so we can blurt it right out."

and

"But things are different this time."

and

" but the interior is a mini-Lexus in its shapes, tones, and textures. Chrome touches are back, in the bezels and door handles."

and

"So we?re cautiously optimistic."

Then he concludes by stating that the fairly abysmal Saturn Ion might have been GM's low point and that the Cobalt might help turn back the red ink for this floundering domestic car company, in not so many words of course.

Just my two cents.
  • Options
    Is "We’re cautiously optimistic" an endorsement? And is this statement encouraging: "The exterior is a yawner, one more 'universal small sedan'" ?

tarquini, your expectations are just much higher than mine I believe!
  • Options
    dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    I read that the 2005 ION will get a big re-do including big upgrades to the interior, front grill and some mechanicals. The new 2.4 will be an option also.
  • Options
    Move the guages to the driver's side, few people like that setup.

-juice
  • Options
    tarquinitarquini Member Posts: 3
    First off that last sentence of yours makes very little sense in structure, I have very little to go off as to your actual meaning. Secondly, do you think the civic isn't a yawner of an exterior? Most high volume cars aren't extraordinarily distinctive.

Personally, I am fairly hopeful that the car turns out to be everything GM is trying to make it out to be, and I will remain optimistic until the day I can test drive one and decide for myself. Dismissing even a long shot is nothing short of stupidity, and constantly putting down a product that isn't even completed is a little rude.
  • Options
    I have owned five Cavaliers in a row, and gotten good service from everyone of them. I'm not trying to shoot down the Cobalt. I'm just disappointed that nothing more has been done in the styling department (either exterior or interior), based on all the photos I have seen to date. That's just one man's opinion --- mine. Words like "stupidity" and "rude" do not belong in this discussion. I will not be contributing further to any discussion between the two of us. Let it go please.
  • Options
    I think they cut the Civic some slack because as an appliance it's reliable as a Maytag.

-juice
  • Options
    a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    I think the Cobalt coupe looks very nice, particularly the rear, but the sedan styling strikes me as somewhat "lumpy" and incoherent. The Corolla has a bit of that problem too, but I think it's worse on the Cobalt. Interiors look 100% better than Cavalier and previous-gen Malibu, though.

-Andrew L
  • Options
    By the way, I was wondering what people are expecting in terms of Cobalt pricing. My guess is that it will be stickered just like the Cavalier ($14-19K), but you will actually pay that price rather than receiving a massive rebate and discounts. Judging from the apparent level of quality and equipment, I don't think GM could afford to hand out Cobalts for $10,000 like they do with Cavaliers.

-Andrew L
  • Options
    At the NAIAS (the Detroit Auto Show), GM reps present said there would be a substantial price increase over the current Cavalier, and that those who now found the Cobalt beyond their pocketbook might want to look at the Chevy Aveo.
  • Options
    I took a "look" online. I wouldn't consider an even-trade of my 1996 Cavalier for a 2005 Aveo thank you.
  • Options
    I took a look at the show. I have to agree. There is NO way I would even remotely consider buying an Aveo or advising anyone else to do so. And I drive my Mom's 2003 Cavalier quite frequently (and find it very comfortable, even though my car is an Impala LS!)
  • Options
    That's interesting...I sat in both at the auto show, and I actually preferred the Aveo over the Cavalier. The Aveo had better overall packaging. Both had shoddy interiors, but that's acceptable for $10,000. Of course, I didn't drive them, so maybe that's where the Cavalier is better.

-Andrew L
  • Options
    WHERE did you sit in a Cobalt at an auto show?

It is my understanding that all Cobalts displayed to date have been inaccessible to the public....you can look from a distance, but not touch or sit...

Also, did you look under the hood of the Aveo? Have you driven one?
  • Options
    dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    Cobalt pricing will not be that much more than Cavalier pricing. Big diff will be in the discounting as MSRPs on Cavaliers vs Civics is not much different. This is still a small compact car after all.

Hey "ateixeira", just to let you know we have a Maytag washer and it sucks. ;-)
  • Options
    I said I sat in a Cavalier and an Aveo, not a Cobalt. They had a Cobalt there, but you couldn't sit in it.

-Andrew L