Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Kia Spectra/Cerato

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Corolla still has a torsion beam rear suspension, it's not even fully indy. It's a bit top heavy, both looks and feel, and it doesn't match Kia's warranty, either.

So the Kia has several advantages worth mentioning.

-juice
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Hi robins! I see juice has already welcomed you, but glad you've joined in the discussion. Most folks around here are happy to share their knowledge, so if you've got question, ask away. If I can help you in any way, don't hesitate to e-mail me - my address is in my profile.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Juice

Have you driven the Corolla? Despite the rear suspension, handling has improved vastly since the last version. Yes, Kia's warranty is longer and the Spectra has more power, but the numbers show the Corolla to be one of the quickest in its class, due to a modest curb weight and smart gearing of both the 5sp manual and 4 speed auto. (Car and Driver rolling start 5-60 of 8.3 seconsd with the 5sp, for those interested). I will agree with whomever posted- the 1.8L is loud when accelerating, but cruising, the Corolla is very quiet and, along with the otherwise unexceptional ION (3), offers one of the best (smoothest) rides in the class. The Corolla also has far superior fuel economy, and resale. The rear seat is darn roomy too.

HOWEVER, kudos to Kia for making the side curtains and side airbags standard. This car is unquestionably one of the most improved vehicles out there. (For reference, the Corolla will have side airbags and curtains option when the 2005 goes on sale this summer, as well as stability control.). I personally cant wait to drive one!

robins- welcome!

~alpha
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    But four-wheel disc brakes standard even in the base Spectra. Maybe that's partly to counter buyer perceptions re problems in the past with brakes on Sephias/Spectras. I think you'll find the Spectra compares very well with the Corolla on rear seat room, cruising smoothness, and ride. The standard 6-speaker stereo is pretty nice, too. However, with current rebates ($750) and discounts on Corollas, I think Kia will have a hard time selling Spectras until they offer some rebates.
    Alpha - no, actually, not recently.

My concern with the torsion beam would not be handling, but ride, mostly over rough roads. Cars like the previous generation Maxima with a similar suspension design lose their composure over rough surfaces.

Has Toyota tuned their suspension better than Nissan, perhaps?

Any how, the new Kia will have to compete with the new Corolla for most its life so let's wait and see what that one looks like.

-juice
  • coachdnycoachdny Member Posts: 4
    any idea if the 5 door hatch/wagon cerato/spectra be available in the states?? when and cost??
    A Kia sales rep in the Twin Cities told me two weeks ago that the hatchbacks would be in stock in "a couple of months." So they are definitely coming.
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    The Edmunds said 2005 Kia Spectra. The Kia (website) said all-new Spectra. My dealer said 2004 & 1/2. I don't think it is still called 2004 Spectra.
    The window stickers I've seen say "2004". Not to be confused with the other 2004 Spectras on the dealer lots, of the old design.

Note to Kia: Just call them 2005s (ala Toyota with the 2003 Corolla) and get it over with! It's only five months until September.
    Yeah, when I was searching for a printed answer to coachdny's question, I found the available info pretty confusing - some sites list the 04 Spectra and the all-new Spectra. The 04 clearly has a hatchback version, while the details on the all-new, improved softness, fortified with calcium version are vague.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Checked one local dealer (Boch Kia) and they have it as 2004 & 1/2 model. My dealer (Quirk Kia) said the same thing. BTW, my dealer still has 2003 model left.
  • shakeypshakeyp Member Posts: 4
    Hello all New here.

Just noticed your discussion about the 2005 KIA Spectra. I was searching around online and stumbled on here.

I actually purchased a 2005 KIA Spectra last week and i must say i cant stop driving the car. and I'll probably run out my warranty withing 2 years lol. Ive had it for a week and I have 1600 kilometeres on it already.

But if you are looking for a good deal for its money The spectra is it.

Just a quick brag I bought the second 2005 model in Canada. :) first one in Ontario.
    and i have soem great plans for this car its a real head turner :)
    Hi shakeyp, and welcome to Town Hall! So glad to hear that you're pleased with your purchase. I'm sure other enthusiasts would be interested in hearing about the details of your purchasing & driving experience, if you've got the time & inclination.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

Anyone bought one here in U.S.? I want to know what Kia put on the window sticker. It maybe different for Canadian market. I have to go to my dealer and test drive one. Yeah. Canadian only gets three years basic bumper-to-bumper warranty.
  • robinsrobins Member Posts: 2
    Hi lok888

The warranty on any Kia product in Canada is 5yr bumper to bumper. 5-5-5 totally transferable! Apparently, they have just introduced oil changes for life this month???

Thanks all for the fine welcome!!

Welcome Shakeyp! I too live in Ontario (NWO). Thanks for the input on your new vehicle, I'm glad you like it. We will probably be purchasing one as well, drove it last weekend and fell in love with it. We want something dependable as second vehicle yet good on gas as we do alot of commuting back and forth work. I wish there was some clear reviews out there on this vehicle, in time I am sure there will be many.

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome.. Robin
    I thought it was 2 years of free service, that's what the Sedona ads say.

Perhaps your dealer was offering that?

-juice
    It is a 5 year 100,000km comprehensive, 5 year 100,000 km power train, 5 years road side assistance.

but alittle more input for yas about the car. I recentley took it down to toronto and got the chance to actually open it up on the 401(freeway if you will) Ill just say this at 190 km/h in 5th gear it was only running at 5000 rpm. The dealership said the redline for the standards are actually at 7200 rpm and not 6500 as marked on the tach.
    Driving at speeds of 115-120 MPH is the opposite of how you're supposed to break-in new vehicles.

~alpha
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    yeah, I was told with my Sportage 4x4 purchase in Sept.2001 to not exceed 60mph for the first 1000 miles. I actually stuck to that, too. It wasn't easy but, well, you know! Any American 2004 1/2 Kia Spectra buyers jump in here and detail away, OK? Getting suddenly interesting in here!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

The cars already been broken in before i did that.
    Like i said previously if i keep going my warranty will be up in 2 year isntead of 5.

it has 3000km on it already :)
  • murleymurley Member Posts: 6
    The 5door will be in showrooms in May. It's debut is next week @ the NY Auto show.
    last friday or saturday the 2nd or the 3rd of april the toronto star had a two page review on the 2005 Spectra.
    but at 3000 kilometers, the engine is far from fully broken in.

~alpha
    The Canadian Kia website said this is an all-new 2005 Kia Spectra. And it just said all-new in U.S. site. Many internet sites still have 2004 pricing and specs info. Anyone bought one lately here in US?
  • malibu_jackmalibu_jack Member Posts: 75
    Hi

I am new o this board and will be looking to replace my 2001 Nissan Sentra. I have looked into Kia before, but have been quite sceptical about long term reliability. Saw the 2005 Spectra at the Otawa car show this year and was somehwat impressed, but had a hard time keeping my eye on it when I saw the 2004 Mazda 3.

How does Kia stack up to big guys? (i.e. toyota, Mazda, Ford, GM, etc?)
    Spectra is very competitive with the Corolla, Focus and 3i, with Focus and 3i holding an edge in handling and power (with the Focus' 2.3L engine). Spectra is more car than the Aveo or Cavalier/Sunfire. Corolla has an edge in fuel economy, predicted reliability, and resale value. Pricewise, Spectra should have an advantage, especially by early next year when discounts/rebates should be readily available. Warranty is of course a big plus for Spectra. Worth a look when you are ready to buy. If you look at Spectra, might as well check out the Elantra, its cousin, also.
  • alamid69alamid69 Member Posts: 59
    I stumbled on a kia spectra web site. Check it out, here's the link.

http://www.kiaspectra.com/site.html
  • malibu_jackmalibu_jack Member Posts: 75
    Thanks for the info. So will the canadian market be seeing a re-styled Hatch in the near future?
  • coachdnycoachdny Member Posts: 4
    the ny auto show?? what was the overall reaction to the spectra5 by people?? any sticker price?? any info. will do thanks.
  • yugoboyyugoboy Member Posts: 161
    Excellent article, please read, they just need to come down in price to make it more competitive imo!!!!

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/05spectra.htm
    from those prices. They are building better and better cars and they can charge more as their cars get better. Sounds grisly but it's true. Read the reviewer's comments on the link you posted about the 2005 Kia Spectra/Spectra5. He brings up the point about people just expecting Kia to always lower their prices on new models, sometimes as the model is just coming to market. That's not always realistic. Their Spectra/Spectra5 prices are already pretty good IMO. BTW-that is a fine review of Spectra and I've added it to my "favorites" to re-read when getting closer to car-shopping again. I prefer the Spectra sedan and I feel that this one will be the best Spectra ever. For those wanting a hatchback this one also looks very solid. Nice set of pictures in that review as well.

As long as their Hyundai cousins are selling fully loaded Elantra GTs for $13-14k + T&L, Kia will have to budge on price with the Spectra5. The new Forenza wagon is a sharp little number that will also apply price pressure on the Spectra. It's a tough world out there.
    I'm surprised by this comment:

"The new Forenza wagon is a sharp little number that will also apply price pressure on the Spectra."

Perhaps I am confusing you for someone else, but did you not test drive the Forenza and come away very lukewarm, stating that it really didnt distinguish itself from the competition, or have any advantages?

I cant imagine that the new Spectra isnt worth a marginal premium over the slowish, thirstyish, uglyish, clumsyish Forenza.

~alpha
    I was lukewarm about the Forenza because I thought the stick shift was not crisp and the engine was unrefined. I did not say it had no advantages--please take another look at my review. But most folks don't buy stick shifts, and I'll bet many can live with some growl in the engine if the rest of the package is good. Have you seen the Forenza wagon? I think it is far from ugly, in fact, I think it's the best looking compact wagon out there. Handling is fine. Interior is just as nice as the Spectra's, actually even more luxurious with standard steering-wheel controls, 8 speaker stereo, and rear seat center armrest. It's fast enough for most people I think--the Spectra is quicker but no performance car. And if the price of the Forenza S wagon is anything close to the sedan's, it will mean a well-equipped wagon for under $12k. That is price pressure.
    Thanks, will read your review again.

But I disagree on a few points. Mainly, if nobody's buying the Forenza, regardless of how its priced, theres not much pressure exerted on other automakers. Also, I felt the Forenzas interior not at stylish, or as tactily pleasing as the Spectra (I did not drive either but was in both at NYIAS).

~alpha
    That 5 door will compete with the Scion xA and the Suzuki Aerio, it seems smaller than the Forenza, or is that just my imagination?

-juice
    The Forenza and Spectra are both in the compact class. I've driven both (and the Aerio) and they are roughly the same size inside, with a little more rear leg room in the Forenza. The Forenza wagon looks longer than the sedan (and the Spectra5) however, much like the Focus wagon is longer than the hatch or sedan. The Aerio will compete with the Spectra (exerting some more pricing pressure), but I think the xA will attract different buyers than the Spectra.
    How about Edmunds.com's review of the new 2004 Spectra? Pretty positive, but a little picky, don'tcha think? "Only three colors in the interior." What are they expecting, maybe a little dash of chartreuse or maybe some lime green? Have they looked at the interiors of Spectra's competitors lately? Not much different in color palettes. I suppose if Kia put some wood grain trim in there, they would complain about the tacky wood grain trim. I think the grey interior is pretty drab, but then I think most grey interiors are pretty drab, especially on low-end cars like this. I prefer tan on the Spectra, and most cars.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    I like the five door model as long as they don't dumb it down for Americans I.e.. by taking off marker lights and putting solid red tail/turn lights on it. The sedan looks to old person for my taste. As for the Suzuki it has been selling. last month sales were up 22%. With Gas prices pushing over $2 in most areas I can't imagine that the small car market will not grow in the U.S.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    Everyone has their own idea of what a interior should look like. I never buy light colored interiors and for the most part will only buy a car or truck with black or charcoal on the inside. That does limit my options in the compact market as most either have tan or light gray interiors. Most of my friends associate light gray with econo car cheap in a interior.
    I went to my dealer for service yesterday. I looked at the all-new Spectra in the showroom. I didn't test drive it. But it looks very nice. I looked at the window stickers. They are all 2004 model. Most dealers here advertised this as 2004.5 model. And it is 2005 model in Canada. Can you tell which is which if someone mention new 2004 Kia Spectra?
    I think that is a bit picky. Typically you see only two interior color schemes, light gray and light beige. You're lucky to get charcoal as a 3rd.

-juice
    Still havent had a chance to test drive, but the reviews seem overwhelmingly favorable. BUT, I dont like the rather bulbous, chunky, too-much-taillights rear styling. Id have to say the 5 door is a lot cleaner looking.

Have yet to see one in person though, so perhaps my impressions will be different then. FWIW, No cash rebate yet, but I did see an ad last night on TV that stated 0% was available.

~alpha
  • wanderwander Member Posts: 10
    Has the launched date for the Spectra5 been set? My brother said he saw a TV ad for it already I doubt that Kia would still be advertising the original Spectra hatch.
    hitting dealer lots. The sedan is already coming in(has been for a while)and Kia mentioned that the Spectra5 would follow the sedan by a coupla months. I like the large rear-taillights in newspaper and Internet pictures but really want to glance at them in person and on the road. They mimic a few European sedans in that respect-maybe that's what Kia was going for. As for interior colors-I prefer ones like black or grey to hide interior dirt accumulation. I could care less if some dork thinks they mean ECONOCAR. Watch them shreik as gas prices continue to climb, anyway, eh? Kia is spot on with this new Spectra-Spectra5.

My brother told me that he saw a Spectra 5 in downtown San Diego last Sunday. I hope I'll see one soon too.
  • kiapartskiaparts Member Posts: 13
    Although not available for another couple of weeks, you may see factory reps driving pre-production models. A lot of my local reps were driving Amantis weeks before the release. As for food for thought. My inside source states that Kia will be offering a SUPERCHARGED version of the new style Spectras. They are also working aftermarket style body kits that will be sold as factory parts.
    That car was probably a demo unit, well I'll just wait for official launch. It sounds like Kia has a similar program to what Scion offers with their cars.
  • psrockpsrock Member Posts: 2
    The new Spectra is a great liitle number, and is light years ahead of it's predecessor, but it's not without shortcomings. Yes 2 color choices is the norm fo interiors, but the new Spectra's cloth choices are far too light, almost annoyingly so. And the interior layout is blah. Kia's are most popular with the 18-25 yr. old segment of the market, but that interior styling screams conservative. And the Sectra has to be one of the only vehicles in the industry to boast better fuel mileage with its automatic transmission. Poor gear ratios the mostlikely culprit here. Finally, as good as this car is, you're still taking the risk of drastic depreciation, and questionable reliability. Civic, Corolla, Mazda3, and even the Focus are still better buys in my book. I say wait 4 more years to buy a kia.
    Well, I still havent driven one. But- for those with a reasonable amount of cash, the only way to go is the Mazda 3. No the warranty isnt as long as the Kia's, but the overall package is truly impressive. I drove a 3i auto with minimal options, but equipped the way I'd like, with auto, alloys, power options, side curtains and airbags, and ABS, its $17,940 on the sticker, and carsdirect.com is showing a sales price of $17,000 in my area, and I think there may be College Grad rebates available as well. The ride, handling, acceleration, fuel economy, room, construction, styling, refinement... all represent minimal compromise. Ive rarely been as impressed on a test drive as I was with the 3i. Could be the best car for the money out there, especially for young singles or small families. I really dont like orange IP illumination, but really, thats the ONE major fault I had with the car, and Im sure I could get used to it.

The Spectra does look nice though. When time permits, I look forward to taking it for a spin.

~alpha
This discussion has been closed.