Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Verona

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Or,
    who has time to shift when their kid needs to rush to Soccer?
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    I checked out the new Verona today.

Quite nice! Interior plastics and leather are good. Style inside and out very nice for under 20g.

This thing is a definite Sonata/Optima killer. Also compares very well at much less $$$$ to Camcords and domestics.

Also, a right size car.

All they missed was getting the hp up. 155 not enough. fix this Suzuki.

Host, perhaps this topic ought to be moved over to the Sedans boards?
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    I drove several sedans yesterday again. By far the Toyota, Nissan, and Mazda V6 are more powerful engines than the I6 in the Verona, BUT to get a similar equipped car you have to pay between $6000 and $11000 MORE. To compare closest priced vehicles to the $20.5K Verona, we have the V6 Sonata $21,459, I4 Altima $26,171, I4 Camry $25,310, I4 Accord $24,800. NONE of the 4 cylinder engines came close to the smooth transfer of power to the wheels and were much slower off the line to the I6 in the Verona.

Here is the short list of what I test drove just yesterday:
    1. Verona $20.5K , I6 155HP at 5600RPM with 171FtLbs Torque at 4000rpm.
    2. Accord EX Leather $24,800 (no sunroof), I4 160HP at 5500rpm with 161 FtLbs torque at 4500RPM.
    3. Camry 2.4L Top of the line with the I4, $25,310, 157HP at 5600RPM with 162 FtLbs Torque at 4000RPM.

By far the quietist and smoothest car was the Verona. Interior materials and fit and finish were comparable between all three. The extreme smoothness of the power in the Verona made it seem like it was less powerful, but actual acceleration times were better. It simply did not have much engine noise or vibration at all under hard acceleration. Upon initial impression due to the noise of the 4 cylinder in the Accord it seemed like it had more power, but in reality the Verona was much quicker off the line in normal driving.

The Verona is priced like a 4 Cylinder comparable car, but has better low end power like a 6 cylinder engine. If the only gripe is the lack of passing power when compared with more expensive V6 engines, no big deal. Try getting the same passing power out of one of the similarily priced I4 engines.

I think the car hits the mark on filling in a GAP left by all the other manufactures, a very smooth, quiet, and easy to drive sedan. The closest comparison in quiet ride is something like the Buick LeSabre, with handling close to the Mercury Sable. Just an all around smooth quiet sedan for $20.5K and under.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    Did the Verona you test drove have an EPA MPG rating on the sticker?
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    The Verona is an attractive alternative to 4 cylinder Camrys and Accords, no question about that. The main strikes against it would be gas mileage (20city/28hwy), lack of side air bags, and unknown reliability and depreciation.
    Seems to be comparable to fuel economy on other 6 cylinders for city and highway. Does not require premium or high octane fuel at all, standard 87 octane is all it needs.

As to depreciation, if you are already starting out $4,000 ahead and keep the car 7 years and 100K miles, you are probably still going to be ahead versus the more expensive cars that only have a 3/36 warranty, odds are pretty good you will have one $500 out of warranty repair, or you will have the timing belt cost on many of the 4 bangers.

Side Air-bags? I did not see many of the other brand cars on the lots with them installed. Seems not to be a very popular option yet. Possibly they will become standard (on all models) over the next couple of years, if people are willing to pay the cost. We will see how the different crash test ratings come out. I do know that since this vehicle gets sold in Korea that it has to meet certain vehicle-pedestrian crash worthiness, which means the very front end has pedestrian absorption zones to minimize the injury to a pedestrian in a low speed impact. Honda has a big research center in Japan for the same problem as Japan has a lot of low speed vehicle versus pedestrian accidents.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    The lack of side airbags with head protection and unknown reliability are the biggest downsides I see here. 2004 Accord I4 doesn't have a timing belt.
  • avemanaveman Member Posts: 122
    Yes launchung a car for 2004 without side airbags is not good.Since the report came out that side airbags make a big difference in degree of injury, the demand for side airbags should increase.I do believe it is rare to find some cars on lots with side airbags. This may give the domestics like Malibu an edge, in that you can order them. Hopefully, the Verona was designed with side airbags in mind and they can add that feature.
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    I have checked a few websites and none list the invoice. A local dealer told me he would sell me one at invoice, or $18,999 which includes $500 transportation. So, I can save $1000 off MSRP and buy at invoice. I think it is a bunch of BS, though, because invoice should be around $2000 below MSRP on a $20k vehicle.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    The invoice for the base EX listed on kbb.com is $18,633.96 which includes the $500 destination charge.
    as I understand it, the 2003 Accord EX had a Power Sunroof and so does the 2004. Honda has a system where all the EX models get Power Sunroofs (Except the Odyssey and maybe Pilot, I don't remember)
    A little off topic here, but does anybody remember if the Pilot EX has a Power Sunroof?
    is this topic on the sedans baord yet?

BTW, a review of the Chevy Epica (canadian version of the verona) is on the website

www.canadiandriver.com
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Nope, the Pilot, nor the Oddyssey have sunroofs on EX models.

Also, if you opt for the Element with 4WD, you get a manual sunroof in the rear. DX or EX models.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    As I pull into the Suzuki dealer I see it right away. A white Verona LX. It looks very nice. crisp Italian lines, good paint, and nice allow wheels. Suzuki didn't dumb this car down to much for Americans...yes the side turn indicators are missing and so is the neet roof antenna but these things an owner can buy online and replace. Looking inside I see that the interior is much better than previous Deawoo's. Well everything except the horrid plastic wood. Otherwise very nice with quality textures on most of the plastic. This is a Lx so The EX must be the sportier model and would ditch the ugly wood I'm thinking to myself. How wrong am I... They all have it. Not to run anyone down that likes plastic wood but it looks like it was lifted right out of my grandfathers 1986 buick wagon. That sends a shiver down my spine. And the next bad news. No manual shift mode or a true manual!
    So I tell myself you could live with a lazy automatic... most americans are shiftless people anyway... I hold my breath and ask for a test drive. I would have to say it is on par with a Sanota which is not bad. I would like more power. It pulls well but not six cylinder well. it feels like a very smooth four cylinder. and yes in ex form it is priced in main stream four cylinder territory. Put it up against Hyundai and their prices and Suzuki is a loser. My local Hyundai dealer is offering V6 sonata's at about $15G. An you don't have to have the horrid wood and you can have your manual too.
    but the Sonata is really ugly. Sonata is a car that we could do without in the marketplace.

Verona is excellent but needs a power boost.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    What?? The Sonata is ugly? Are you crazy? The Sonata is a very sharp looking car ever since its 2002 refresh. I've seen the Verona at my dealer. I will admit the interior looks nice and appears to be of high quality. The exterior though is a different story. The side view looks nice, but the front looks odd with the funky lookin headlights and huge S emblem and rhe rear is rather bland. Whereas, the Sonata looks classier with its Jaguarish rear, jeweled tailights, and Mercedes inspired headlights. The Sonata's design just looks like it meshes together better than Suzuki's attempt at changing the front styling.

People shopping the big name brands would immediately walk away from this car once they see the hp rating and the lack of side airbags. Even Hyundai has made side airbags standard on their cheapest car, the Accent! Hyundai has improved their perception by offering a long warranty. Suzuki's bumper-to-bumper is lacking in today's market and will make the Verona a hard sale, especially once people realize this car is a Korean car that was made as a dying company's last gasp.
    i can respect your points on the Verona, but man, the Sonata / Optima is just an unattractive car. Not a nice feeling.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    Each person to his own opinion. I like the looks of both cars. It is the detail items that make the difference for me. There are things about the Sonata I would change too. I dislike the chrome around the rear plate opening ( the Verona has it too.) and the grill work under the front bumper with the fog lights. I like the textures in the Verona interior better than the Sonata, but I hate fake wood. That fake wood alone will stop a sale for me. If I could buy a Verona with out the plastic wood and at least a manual mode to the automatic I would be at the Suzuki dealer as soon as it opened. But one can't so Hyundai has my money. Oh and as for Kia, I know it is a Sonata in different cloths. The reason I am not at the Kia dealer is because of personal taste also. The car can only be had with a tan or gray interior. I like the Black in the Sonata. Also I found the 2003's grill to be horrible. I know that is changed for 2004.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    At the Charlotte Int'l Auto Show, Suzuki wasn't even represented. With two local Suzuki dealers, I was really surprised. Thought I'd get to see/sit in a new Verona. Suzuki missed a great opportunity to show off its vehicles to an active new car market.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

I am in the market for a new car for my wife as our '97 Passat is getting a little long in the tooth. Before the Passat, we had a '94 Toyota Corolla which my wife really liked so I got all the info on a Corolla and put an add in the paper to sell the Passat. Then I saw a picture of the Verona in the newspaper so I decided to check it out. I took one for a test drive and here are my impressions. I personally like the looks, both inside and out. It is very smooth and quiet. Nice shifting and braking. Definitely lacks the power of my Passat VR6 but having fun with all that power in the Passat does cost money, e.g., wear and tear, etc. The Verona certainly has adequate power for most people. Overall, a very nice car, especially for the money. If you added all the extras onto a Corolla that you have on a Verona EX, the Corolla would cost a bit more more. Unfortunately, the Corolla doesn't even offer some very nice things that are standard on the EX, like 4 wheel disk brakes, Automatic Air Conditioning, 6 cyl engine, etc. I like the idea that the Corolla looks so much like a Camry you have to look twice to tell them apart, but the Verona looks nice, too, and actually is in the same league as the Camry so far as its size is concerned. As a Costco member, I can get the Verona EX for $350 over invoice. The Corolla dealer wants $300 over invoice plus hundreds more for different things I have never heard of. I think it basically must go into the sales manager's retirement fund. When the Passat sells, I will have to make a choice. Today, I would have to go with the Verona. Stay tuned.
  • russm3russm3 Member Posts: 44
    I also looked at the vernona at a mall display I liked it. It seems to look like some different cars like camry accord ect like you can find the same looks in this car the interior was leather and looked nice maybe one to watch
  • fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    There is a Verona at the medical center where my daughter works. I took a look at it last week where it was sitting in the parking lot. My impression of the car is very favorable as far as styling and overall appearance is concerned.

With it being Korean I do have concerns about it's reliability. But if Suzuki makes sure this car lives up to the quality of it's motorcycles, they have a definite winner.

And as evergreen points out, it is a Camcord beater if it lives up to their quality or even close at the price it is selling for. I think that will be its market rather than competing with the smaller cars such as the Corolla. This is going to be a fun car to follow. I would very definitely consider it when shopping in that family sedan market, where I would not have a Kia or Hyundai because of their poor quality and reliability issues. Like a lot of people, I have gotten well past the need for a hot rod in favor of a highly reliable and good looking car at a very good price.
    You would consider the Verona over the Sonata or Optima simply because of the Suzuki name?? Uh, not to burst your bubble, but Suzuki does not build this car or have much say in how it is built. GM owns the Korean plant where it is made by Korean factory workers. To think this car would be better than Hyundai or Kia simply because it has a Suzuki name is foolish. However, why are you saying Hyundai has poor reliability? Have you picked up a Consumer Reports lately? The Sonata is rated above average in reliability and even has the recommended check mark. Hyundais have gotten past their reliability problems but some people are still stuck in the past because they simply have no first hand experience and assume they are junk. Kia still has some issues with the Spectra, but the rest of their lineup is much improved. You would have just as good a chance of getting a reliable Sonata as you would a reliable Verona.

p.s. My 03 Hyundai Tiburon has been a much better built and more reliable car than my 03 Suzuki Aerio SX. So I have first hand experience with both makes. Suzuki has consistently ranked near the bottom of quality surveys, so I'm not sure why you trust their name more than Hyundai's.
    Please either read the following quote.

Quote fwatson " But if Suzuki makes sure this car lives up to the quality of it's MOTORCYCLES,"

Or read my complete post carefully. Thanks
    I read you post...Now I ask you to read my response. I was mostly responding to your comment that Hyundai and Kia have poor reliability. I was providing proof that's not the case. I was also letting you know Suzuki has little say in how the Verona is built, so there is no reason to hope the Verona will be better than them other Korean cars. I was also more or less wondering why you felt you could consider this car and not the other Korean brands. The only thing I could come up with is the Japanese name attached to the car (and the motorcycle reputation behind the name, which has nothing to do with their cars), thus why I started my post with a question hoping for clarification.
    Quote "I was also letting you know Suzuki has little say in how the Verona is built, so there is no reason to hope the Verona will be better than them other Korean cars."

----------------------------------------

If that were true, Toyota and Honda would have little or no control over the quality of their products built in American plants by American workers. That obviously is not true, because the quality control of a Camry or Accord puts a Taurus or Lumina to shame. For that reason, I simply do not agree with your premise that Suzuki has little control over the quality of their branded products produced in Korea.

As for quality of Korean cars, I think the forums show a definite difference between the Japanese and Korean cars. My hope is that all the Korean cars will compile a great record, and that they will be able to keep the price down as they have so far. I think then the Verona will become a world beater, as it is a very appealing car otherwise.

----------------------------------------------------------

Quote "the motorcycle reputation behind the name, which has nothing to do with their cars"

-----------------------------------------------------------

Again I disagree. Just as I trust Lexus, Sony, Panasonic etc to never bring out inferior products. And despite the Consumer Report argument with Suzuki, I trust Suzuki to not bring out an inferior product. Most Japanese companies are "heavy industries" making a wide range of products. They generally either make top of the line products, or they don't.

-------------------------------------------------------

Again, hopefully Suzuki will insist on excellent quality control. They have that ability just as Toyota and Honda do.
    Daewoo produces the Verona. GM has a vested interest in Daewoo and Suzuki. So...it's a rebadged Daewoo. An attractive one at that. Daewoo produced the Pontiac LeMans in the 90's and quality was suspect. Hopefully, like Hyundai, they have improved. Though I like the Verona, it has a lot going for it, I'm uneasy about its long term reliability.

I agree with you for the most part. But the poor quality of the imported Daewoo products as GM's could also reflect the attitude of the importer. I am sure the Korean plants are capable of high quality products. It may just take management that cares about quality above the bottom line, unlike GM.

The quality issue is tricky though, just as the rebadged Toyota Corollas sold as Geo Prizms were top notch despite GM's name on them.
    Agreed. A friend of mine specifically bought a Geo Prizsim (sp?) knowing that it was a Toyota under the skin, and could buy it significantly cheaper than a similar Corolla.

Your example doesn't hold water. Honda and Toyota own and operate the plants that build their cars in the US. They also decide who the suppliers of the parts are and supervise how the plant is run. Suzuki has little control over these aspects with the Verona (think of Suzuki as the asst parts manager and GM as the manager of operations). They don't own the plant its built in, had no say in the development of this car, and aren't choosing the part suppliers. This car was designed entirely by Daewoo before they went bankrupt. The plant is owned and operated by GM and GM financing determines where the money is spent. In effect, don't expect the Suzuki name to bring Japanese quality to a Korean car that is built by GM money pinchers.

As for Suzuki, they have never been known to be top-of-the-line nor as reliable as Toyota, Honda, etc. They are a good motorcycle builder, but their cars aren't exactly stellar. Average pretty much sums them up. Also, GM has their hand dipped heavily into Suzuki and parts sharing occurs. Suzuki has consistently ranked at the bottom of all quality surveys, not just Consumer Reports. I also have first hand experience with their so-so quality. Compare the interior of the Aerio with that of the Civic, Lancer, Corolla, Elantra, etc and you will see a noticeable difference in the quality of materials used.

The Verona is a nice car at a nice price. But nothing about it says it should be better than Hyundai or Kia. That doesn't mean it will be junk. On the contrary, it should prove to be a solid value and have good reliability if not the best.

p.s. Do you actually follow multiple forums? I keep up with at least 20 different cars (I'm a car nut and read about all cars, not just the ones I'm shopping). I have seen more complaints in Honda forums than I have in Hyundai forums, so I don't see the huge difference you speak of. I'm not saying Hyundai is better. I'm just saying the quality gap has shrunk a lot in recent years.
    I had a Honda Accord where the Power Door locks started cutting out (sometimes they'd lock, sometimes not) and it made a horrendous sound while doing the locking. (if it did lock, that is) It was a fine car except the power locks, which cost me $550 out of pocket to replace. I would trust Daewoo on quality control- they do sell the same car in Korea and I don't think that they might want to ruin their reputation in Korea for crappy cars. So, who knows? The Verona just may be a reliable one with few problems. Also, on the Honda Accord board, I have heard numerous problems with the 5-speed automatic tranny.
    Quote "Also, on the Honda Accord board, I have heard numerous problems with the 5-speed automatic tranny. "

-------------------------------

There is a lot of that on the Acura TL discussion too.
    Well, I bit the bullet Friday afternoon and bought a Verona EX. Titanium Silver Metallic just like in the brochure. It was a toss up with the Garnet Red. Brought it home to the wife and she loved it. Since she will be the main driver I am happy. Reliability is somewhat of a concern but I have a friend who put over 200K trouble free miles on a Kia so I am not necessarily biased against Korean cars. The Verona is solid, smooth and quiet. All the bells and whistles are standard equipment so color is the only choice to make. Quite a difference from when I bought a 2000 GMC Sierra and spent weeks going through all the pages of options in order to have it built the way I wanted. The next issue is mileage. I got 24mpg with my Passat and I hope the Verona gets similar mileage. If not, I will be a little disappointed. I will report back after a few tanks of gas.
    Congrats on being the first Verona owner at Edmunds! Be sure to keep everyone up to date on how reliable the car is.
  • avemanaveman Member Posts: 122
    Hope you have many good miles in your new Verona evergreen.if you get a chance let us know how responsive the engine is.I am going to be tracking the Forenza for myself.
    Well,I put a light coat of Meguiars wax on the Verona yesterday afternoon and my wife put about 30 miles on it today driving it to work and back. The tires didn't fall off and the engine didn't blow up so I think I have a winner.

Regarding engine responsiveness; I haven't taken it up to Mt. Hood (I live in Oregon) yet but it seems more than adequate for our needs. The drive from town to our house involves one 600 ft hill over a two mile stretch and the car is so quiet and the shifting so smooth you hardly even notice it is downshifting. I had to watch the tach to see what was happening. It seems to find a gear that gives you plenty of power and there is no feel that the engine is straining in the least. My GMC Sierra (a great truck with a 285 HP V8) has to downshift on that hill, too, but you can hear and feel when it downshifts. There is nothing wrong with that. I'm just very pleased with how the Verona handles the job.

The dealer told me the Forenza won't hit the show rooms here until December. Looks to me like it ought to provide some stiff competition for the Civic and Corolla.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    How can a company that makes the world's fastest bike (Hyabusa) make something this pathetic. Are they really serious about competing in the mid size market. 155 Hp!!!! Most four cylinder powerplants make more power than that. It looks like Suzuki is becoming synonymous with underpowered cars and SUV s. Remember the Suzuki Swift (anything but Swift) and the Grand Vitara.
    Whoops, pushed the wrong button. Sorry about that.

It seems to me that Suzuki is presently aiming at 90% of those people who buy a Camry or Accord who want a quiet, solid, sedan that is reliable and gets reasonable mileage. If they decide it is worth their time to go after the 10% who want over 200 hp, they will probably put in a stronger engine some day. Presently, those with a heavy foot will have to look elsewhere. My Verona has less HP than my Passat VR6, which is fairly sporty for a station wagon, but the Verona has more torque, which is more important than HP for most driving situations.
  • jlgoldenjlgolden Member Posts: 32
    I have not yet seen a Verona in person, I've only looked at it on paper and on a few websites. I think it is a great looking car, and the price and warranty are right. Realistically, the Verona won't be a performance leader, but it will allow Suzuki to break into the mid-size sedan segment. With proper marketing, the Suzuki name can become more recognized and respected. My understanding is that the company has an aggressive future product plan, which will unfold over the next 3 to 4 years. Give the Verona a chance, get the word out about it, and I think it will be successful in its mission.
    Quote "How can a company that makes the world's fastest bike (Hyabusa) make something this pathetic."

---------------------------------------
    I had a Suzuki X6-Hustler with only a 250 cc engine way back in the '60s. That was one hot bike, and proves that it doesn't take a giant engine to be a hot rod.

Looks like Verona isn't for you. That's why they make Vipers and Vettes. There are millions of people who can live with getting to 60 in 8 seconds or so in a quiet, comfortable and nice conservatively styled car that has more interior space than a Camry or Accord.

Lucky for people like me that they do, because I sure don't need an overstyled 0 to 60 in 4 seconds insurance hound.

There's nothing sweeter than a small displacement V-6 instead of an L4, even it the 4 has as much HP and torque. I have owned and driven 4's, and as long as there is a V-6 available I will never have another 4 cylinder car.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    "There's nothing sweeter than a small displacement V-6 instead of an L4, even it the 4 has as much HP and torque. I have owned and driven 4's, and as long as there is a V-6 available I will never have another 4 cylinder car."

Thats fine for you. But I'm willing to bet that the Camcord 4s are just as smooth, if not smoother, than the Daewoo's 2.5L V6, while offering superior fuel economy to boot. The Camry manages a 9.1 run to 60, and the Accord, 8.5. I'm interested to see if Verona can match that.

~alpha
  • daewoo2daewoo2 Member Posts: 1
    Well I traded in my 1999 Deawoo Leganza with 60k problem free miles and purchased the new Verona. This is another great car. It has a smooth ride and every feature you could want all for under 20k. Anyone questioning Daewoo quality should try to remember that before Daewoo went bankrupt they were the first Korean Auto maker to make JD power associates top ten list in quality. Not Hyundai or Kia. Additionally, Hyundai and kia give a great price and then the dealer gets you with there 9-11% financing. Monthly price not price of car people. 2.9 on my Verona and 2.9 on the Daewoo. Additionally, the Suzuki is engineered by Mercedes and designed in Italy.
    I have driven all three, I am not willing to bet without driving them first. In order to get the same kind of off the line acceleration out of the I4's, they are rough and noisy (typical of a 4 cylinder required to go the limit for the extra torque). The I6 is smooth as silk when pushed off the line. There is no comparison between the three drivetrains. The Verona by far is a smoother, quieter, and more powerful drive off the line over any competition 4 cylinder in a close price range.

By far the Camry V6 is the smoothest of all the 6 cylinders, but it costs just under $10,000 more than the Verona for the same equipment. Both the Accord V6 and Nissan Altima V6 are tuned more sporty and do not deliver the same kind of quiet power like the Camry V6.

As for fuel economy. The Verona I6 gives average to slightly better than average 6 cylinder economy, but is not as high as the 4 cylinder engines.

As to JD Power. It is unfortunate that the long term survey on the Daewoo cars happened AFTER the bankruptcy filing and the bad blood between many dealers and the owners. I just wonder how many owners put down problems with the car just because they could not get the free scheduled maintenance they were promised??????? I also wonder how accurate ignorant customer surveys really wind up being. Certain cars bring a certain consumer class to the showroom more than other cars. I have seen people think that the check engine light means there is an engine problem with the car. In reality it was an owner mistake by not putting the gas cap on all the way.
    Quote "Thats fine for you. But I'm willing to bet that the Camcord 4s are just as smooth"

--------------------------------------

Not by any means. My mother owns a Corolla 4 which I have driven extensively. And I own a Mazda Millenia with a 2.5L V-6. It is like trash and treasure. The Toyota 4 has nice acceleration, but it's bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz all the way under all conditions. My brother in law sells Hondas and always drives a 4 cylinder Accord. But they too are bzzzzzzzzzzzzz all the way. On the other hand, the V-6 in my Mazda is so smooth it is difficult to tell if it is running at idle, and it is silky smooth under all conditions. My bet is that the Verona V-6 is also super smooth, it is the nature of most V-6 engines except for the American pushrod engines. Nope, you lose that bet.
    Remember: the Verona doesn't have a V-6, it is an inline 6 (I-6). An I-6 is inherently smoother than a V-6 by design. Can't comment on the Verona since I haven't driven one. The Millenia 2.5 V-6 is a honey.

But the Corolla 4 IS NOT the Camry 4, and admittedly, the Corolla 4 is one of the "buzziest" Toyota produces, especially in Celica form. Certainly, I must reseve my final opinion until I drive the I6 Verona, but to call the CURRENT Accord and Camry 4s "rough and noisy" off the line is certainly an exaggeration.

More interestingly, for those who have driven the Hyundai 2.7L V6, how does this Daewoo compare in refinement and power (as well as economy) to that powerplant?
    ~alpha
    Quote "An I-6 is inherently smoother than a V-6 by design."

------------------------------

And from all I have read, a straight 5 is smoother yet. I was forgetting the "I" configuration of the Suzuki 6. I think I will test drive one to see how that does feel. But if it really is smoother than my Mazda V-6, you would wear out the starter trying to restart it constantly while it is running. ;-)

Another thing that contributes greatly to my enjoyment of a car is the sound of the engine. I love the sound of my V-6 under hard acceleration. My wife compares it to the sound of a race car. Maybe it isn't a racer, but it does have a beautiful song to sing. OTOH, the 4's I have driven are more a strained rrrrrrrrr. To each his own, but I'll take the 6. A big V-8 (or even a small displacememt one) sounds nice too, but completely different, and is hardly necessary in a 3500 pound car for the average driver when you can have an equally smooth engine with far fewer parts.
    That was one of the comments my wife made of our Millenia, too. She loved it when I forced the transmission to downshift. The sound of the engine revving was like music to our ears. Still miss that car. Wonder how the Verona sounds under hard acceleration? Not sure I will drive one, as the Suzuki dealer here is 'old school' and 'high pressure, hard sell'. I have no patience for that.

Are you sure about that? I always thought the 5s were considered pretty big shakers. I am not aware of the current Volvo engines being regarded as paragons of smoothness/refinement, and lack of said attributes was one of the bigger knocks against the old Acura Vigor/ 2.5TL.

~alpha