Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-Flexa / Mazda5

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    Bring this over, and then Mazda can super-size the MPV to compete in the mainstream "mini" van market without abandoning the folks that like a smaller size utility vehicle with some sprotiness to it.

Also, offer it with a stick shift please.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    Isn't the Miata the MX-5? Guess Mazda is changing some of their names. The article states European version then Global product! Mazda will hit a HOME RUN if they bring it here but it has to have the correct engine for power and efficient as fuel prices will not be coming down. Hybrid, US diesel, 5 speed auto, side curtain bags..have the latest updates and more.
    Mazda5 is different than MX-5 (Miata), but your right that it can be confusing. I heard they were looking to change the Miata name to be consistant, but if 5 is taken, don't know what they would change it to (big mistake in my opinion anyway).

• wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    Maybe we need to change the thread name now from Mazda MX-Flexa / Mazda4 to "Mazda5"!
    Hopefully more pics will come and interior ones too, though we might have to wait for the
    Paris showing. Just by these 2 pics though, I think it looks even better than the concept. Classier and not as stubby looking. I want it bad!
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    or 6, or 7(passengers).

In America, people will think it's a supersized Protege5, just like the fries & drinks for those of you calorie seekers...

But like the Protege5, this thing rocks on the twisties.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Thou needst to get with the times.

That's a supersized Mazda3 Hatch, my friend.

Make it in Screaming Pumpkin Mica and I might have to forego my Mazda3S Hatch 5-speed plans next May.

:D

Meade
    (Who doth currently owneth a 2000 Protege ES and 2002 Protege5)
    (And who doth previously owneth, but tradeth on aforementioned vehicles, two 1992 Protege LXs)
  • lexi4lifelexi4life Member Posts: 181
    The next MPV will be called Mazda7 or Mazda8. It's gonna be larger to compete better with sienna, odyssey, quest and others. Basically, it'll be built on a stretched platform of the Mazda6. So there's gonna be two minivans: a small one and a big one so that customers can choose the one that suits the best their needs.
    dimensions/specifications given on the MX-Flexa? Just wonder how much smaller than the present MPV it will be since the European models largest engine is a 2.0. Even the Mazda3 has the 2.3 liter here. Would think a NA version would have at least a 2.3 liter. How about a hybrid since Ford is using Toyota's hybrid technology.
    & the Focus II's engine compartment...
    creakid1 "Ford Focus 2005 release date" Aug 19, 2004 4:07pm
    Lookie what I found on Tokyo's news wire this morning!

TOKYO (AFX) - Mazda Motor Corp plans to roll out new models designed to entice US drivers as it seeks to bolster its operations there, which sank into the red last fiscal year, the Nihon Keizai Shimbun reported, without citing sources.
      For the first time in the US market, Mazda will introduce as early as the beginning of 2005 the Mazda 5, a fully remodeled version of its compact Premacy minivan.
      The automaker is positioning the Mazda 5 as a global product, and US sales are an integral part of this strategy, the report said.
      The fifth-largest Japanese carmaker, which is affiliated with Ford Motor Co, will also launch a sports model of its flagship Attenza sedan, called the Mazda6, in the US, the newspaper said.
      Mazda expects US sales to jump 10 pct to 300,000 units for this fiscal year and hopes the new models will pique customer interest, the report added.
      kyoko.hasegawa@xinhuafinance.com
      kh/wpf

Meade
    We're getting it too! I'm one happy camper. Cudos to Mazda for bringing us a flexible, efficient, multi-passenger vehicle.
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/040825-1.htm
    The info I have to date is :Length 176, Width 68.7, Height 65 with a wheelbase of over 108".
    Next freestar is supposed to be based on a stretched Mazda6 platform, so I'm sure Mazda will get a version of this too. But the "5" is it for us, a perfect combination of size, flexible seating, fuel economy etc. Plus it looks way cool....not too wagonish, not too minivanish. It'll be interesting to see if Toyota(Corolla Verso), Honda (FR-V, Mitsubishi(Grandis) follow Mazda's lead. And let's not forget, a re-designed Zafira is on the horizon, so the door is open for GM too.
    This is GREAT! Have been waiting for this for sometime now and can't wait. wheelz4 keep the information coming. I myself still want the Toyota Wish but if it does not come then the 5 is for me. Wonder if the Mondeo 2.5 V-6 will be the actual powerplant for the NA market. Guess we will soon find out.
    2 gas & 2 diesel powerplants will apparently be offered. The concept had a 170 hp version of Mazda's 2.3l (see Mazda3 & 6) and I would imagine this is what we'll get here. There will probably be a smaller gas engine offered in Europe as well, along with the two turbo-diesels. (Wouldn't mind seeing a turbo-diesel offered here too!) I think if we see a Toyota here, it would be the Corolla Verso rather than the Wish. It's a bit smaller than the "5" however. Rearmost seats are strictly "kids" only.
    All 6 of the "5"'s seats are virtually the same size, so should accomodate adults fairly well (though maybe not NBAers)and the +1 seat in the middle of the 2nd row would be great when you need to carry 5 + room for lots of luggage. Can't wait to see interior shots....heard there was some sort of removeable cooler between the front seats...not sure if that was for the concept or will make it to production too. Based on the Mazda3/Volvo V50/S40/Euro Focus II chassis, the "5" should be a great handler.
    Let's not wish for too big an engine in this thing....unless it's super efficient. Sienna's already get aroung 35 mpg hwy (imp. gal.) and the new Odyssey should match or even exceed that with cylinder deactivation. The Mazda3 with the 2.3 is rated at 31/42(city/hwy) for the 5 speed manual so hope the Mazda5 gets at least 30/40.
    The concept had a 4speed auto with manual shift but I'm kinda hoping for a 5 speed auto. Mazda's autos do seem to rob city/hwy mileage of 3/4 mpg respectively, so hope they can make an improvement there. Funny, because Honda's autos (at least in the case of the CR-V/Element) seem to get better mileage than the manuals.
    Wonder if mazda will have the you-know-whats to follow through n the "zoom-zoom soul of a sports car" theme and offer a version with a stick shift? Probably not, but sometimes you get surprised.

They certainly would have the enthusiast that needs room market to themselves.

A 5 speed auto is a must for better milage. Think the 170hp 2.3 should move it along nicely as long as it has good torque. The EPA (US) for the 3 is 25/32. This is 5 speed manual. Hope the 5 gives at least that or even better. A turbo-diesel would be a good option.
    have a guess on the price range? My thoughts low to mid 20K for a fully equipped 5. Maybe upper teens for a base model (LX)?
    "Wonder if the Mondeo 2.5 V-6 will be the actual powerplant for the NA market."

If the 2.5 V6 fits, then so should the 3.0 V6 from the Mazda6. By the way, One of Volvo's inline 5-cyl turbo engines w/ 236 lb-ft of torque from 1500 to 4800 rpm also fits.

We're talking about 7-adult-passenger hot rodder here!
    Mazda may just have something here. A lot of 30-somethings (like me, who actually will turn into a 40-something next March) have small families (we have one son) and want a skosh more room, but cannot stomach the thought of tooling around town in a ... ahem ... "minivan." This new Mazda may just fill the desire for an in-between vehicle that doesn't really exist in the U.S. right now. Oh sure, we have the Element and the Forrester, but those are both targeted at the "get out and go camping" crowd. Provided they market it wisely (one of their worst problems, it seems), they could have something here.

It might be a challenge to market it alongside the 6 wagon, though ...

Meade
    Hopefully it will be more than competitive. In Canada, the 3 sedan runs from 16,300 to 21,400 and the hatch from 20,300 to 21,500. The 6 sedan range is 24,400 to 32,100, hatch from 25,500 to 33,000 and the wagon (V6 only) from 27,000 to 31,500. MPV's run from the mid 20's to the mid 30's. Triplezoom is guessing a Canadian starting price around 25..............as the "5" is "3"-based, I'm hoping it'll start around 23-24 and top out around 30 all-singing all-dancing.
    6 wagon is nice but only if you never want to carry more than 5 passengers (4 comfortably).
    We are a family of 3 as well but have occasional needs for 4-7, so the 5 is perfect for us. The more upright, chair-like seating is also more comfortable on long drives and the flexibility of the interior leaves the wagon in the dust as far as I'm concerned.
    is a bit larger then the dimensions given. If the dimensions are correct it's about the same size as the 3 but taller. Think it would be really tight for someone to get in the back seats when needed. For me it's only my wife and I as our kids are grown. Presently own a 93 Villager with 106k and it's been great. My wife loves it because of the higher seating. However it will soon need replacing and that's why I'm interested in the 5, Honda FD-V or WISH. I just hope the Mazda quality will be equal to either Honda or Toyota. A 170hp 2.3 would be perfect but if it were a hybrid it would be better.
    like what Nissan just did. Mazda's got hydrogen technology for the RX-8.
    Looked this up to compare Verso/Mazda3

Toyota Corolla Verso Mazda 3

Wheelbase 108.3 103.9
    length 171.7 178.3
    width 69.7 69.1
    height 63.8 57.7
    curb weight 3009 2696
    hp 127(1.8) 160(2.3)
    torque 125 150

Could not find MPG estimates for the Verso but the Mazda 3 has 25/32 for the 5 speed and 24/29 for the 4 speed automatic.

The 5 is based off the 3, a little larger with more weight. Hopefully Mazda (Ford) will put in the latest technology (hybrid/turbo diesel) with more power/torque, 5 speed auto and bells and whistles. By the way the 3 MSRP ranges from $13,680-16,895 US. Would have to think the 5 may start around $15-16K and top out fully equipped around $20K. You can get the Sienna CE and Odyssey LX around $24K if not lower now so I'd think that the 5 price range would be close.

MPG on the 5 has to be good. The Sienna gives 22/27 and new Ody up to 28 hwy estimate for the 05 both with V6. The 5 weighing more than the 3 will rate less than the 3 for both 5 speed manual and 4 speed auto!
    That the Toyota has a 4-1/2-inch longer wheelbase but is 6-1/2 inches shorter overall!

Meade
    Wheelbase for the "5" is just over 108, so that, coupled with taller, more upright seating and a production vehicle probably a bit longer than the 176"+ of the concept (although most will go to bigger bumpers)should make for a fairly roomy interior. I think it'll be just perfect for our needs....remember, I don't want a Queen-Mary-sized Grand Caravan/Odyssey/Sienna/Quest.
    the 5 wheelbase would be stretched to 108 and what wheelz4 stated length of 176. This is only 5 inches longer than the Matrix and if he's correct shorter than the 3..
    me as you stated. This size will be perfect. Just wondering about the MPG. Hope it will be good. Looks like the MB B-type coming this fall will be about the same size. Let's see what Toyota/Honda do to compete but they will have to act fast.
  • nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    I'm sure that they would use Ford's hybrid technology and keep it in the family.
    Note that the prototypes for both the Mazda3 (Mx Sportif) and Mazda5 (Mx Flexa) have almost no bumpers. The length of the Sportif was just over 171" but that translated to a length of over 176" for the Mazda3 Sport. I would expect the length of the Mazda5 to be around 181" as opposed to the concept Flexa which was around 175-176". So the "5" should be 5-6" longer than the "3" with a 5" longer wheelbase. I'm hoping weight will be no more than 3 grand and that, coupled with excellent aerodynamics will translate into 30 city/40 hwy mpg (imp.gal) or about 25/33 in US gal.
    Canada, Mazda USA has yet to issue a press release whether the 5 will be coming to the USA. I went to Mazda USA wdbsite and sent them an e-mail asking if it was coming and have yet to hear anything back. wheelz4, does Canada have the same emmission, etc standards as the US? Wonder if the 5 does not come here if one could be bought in Canada and imported? Would there be any reason why Mazda USA may be waiting to announce?
    seems to indicate that the Mazda5 is coming to the US as well, though it's not an official release from Mazda USA. I would think our emissions standards are the same or even tougher (well, maybe not tougher than California). As well, our bumper standards are a bit tougher, so it's more of a problem to re-engineer a US car for Canada than it is to adapt a Canadian car for the US. (Our speedometers/odometers prioritize kilometers over miles but do show both). Nissan finally brought Canada their compact, car-based SUV the X-Trail but didn't bring it to the US. The compact market is definitely more popular in Canada, hence Mazda's decision. Hopefully the "5" will come to the US as well, as there seems to be a groundswell of support for more compact, fuel-efficient vehicles. It does sound like the MPV is being phased out (has never been a major player in the US market) but whether Mazda USA will replace it with BOTH larger and smaller models remains to be seen.
    for the information. I got excited when I heard the news about the 5 but want to see "Official" word that it is coming to the US. You mentioned the X-Trail which is sold in both Canada and Mexico but not the US. I like the looks but don't like the instrument panel in the center! Pictures of the Flexa interior and instrument panel showed a modern design with gages.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/pic.mv?imagenum=10&num=1899

I myself would like FULL gages and get rid of any idiot lights..
  • starlightmicastarlightmica Member Posts: 58
    It says it isn't clear if the 5 will be imported to the US.

It also states that the Mazda MPV replacement as well as the Ford Freestar/Mercury Montego replacements will be Mazda6 based.
  • jimjpsjimjps Member Posts: 146
    Mazda 4/5 is based on a Ford C-Max (a good thing) which is being sold in Europe and of course the C-Max is the same basic platform as the Mazda3 so I am not really contradicting anything said previously. I think the C-Max version though comes closest to the Mazda4/5 since it is pretty close in dimension and configuration.
    article the Mazda5 is NOT coming to the USA!
    http://www.autoblog.com/entry/2353604371535683
  • groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    to Mazda5 please, now that we know this is the actual name of the vehicle.
    I guess we'll have to wait a week or so until the Paris show to get any more info on the Mazda5. Meanwhile, an article at a Canadian site
    (auto123.com) seems to indicate that the 5 is coming to the US as well.
    Mazda dealership (Kingwood Mazda) and I had the info on the Mazda5. Asked the manager whether or not he had heard of the 5 and if it was or was not coming to the states. He stated that he had just returned from a meeting and stated that he heard them talking about it and thought that he had heard yes. He thought it would be here in about a year. We will see..
  • jimjpsjimjps Member Posts: 146
    I could not find any indication that Mazda is represented at the Paris Motor Show by looking at the official Show site.
  • nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    Ford have announced today that the MAZDA5 will be going on sale in North America in 2005.

"In North America, the MAZDA5 will have a 2.3 liter version of the MZR engine. These four-cylinder, 16-valve DOHC engines are matched with a smooth action five-speed manual transmission. A four-speed automatic is also available in select markets."

Full press release at: http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_display.cfm?release=18884
  • lkusminlkusmin Member Posts: 4
    We currently fit our family of 4 into a 1999 Mazda Protege, and are hoping to move up to a vehicle that would allow us to take on a passenger or perhaps two sometimes--or to put one parent in the back with the kids--without moving up to something minivan-sized.

In that context, this sounds like an intriguing car. But can anyone explain to me how they fit three rows of seats into a vehicle just 177 inches long? Is there any meaningful cargo space behind the third row of seats?

Also, does anyone know if we can expect this Protege descendent to be significantly quieter than our 1999 Protege? Our #2 reason to get a new car is that in the current vehicle, it is sometimes difficult for a parent up front to hear what is being said by a child in back, and vice versa

Regards,

Lorin
  • adu1adu1 Member Posts: 47
    Just go to www.triplezoom.com and click on the Mazda5 pic, then follow the links. This looks like the perfect vehicle for me -- Mazda had *better* bring it to the U.S. (and not just Canada; the phrase "North America" is still a little ambiguous). I think plenty of Americans would go for such a practical and stylish package (we don't all want to drive an 18-foot, 5,000-lb. behemoth!)...
    "...or to put one parent in the back with the kids--without moving up to something minivan-sized...But can anyone explain to me how they fit three rows of seats into a vehicle just 177 inches long? Is there any meaningful cargo space behind the third row of seats?"

If you put one parent on the 2nd-row seats w/ the 2 kids in the 7-passenger model, then there are still 2 more empty seats on the 3rd row. Even if the cargo area isn't long, it's still tall enough to carry plants in the pot. & you can always fold away one of the two 3rd-row seats to expand cargo area.

"Also, does anyone know if we can expect this Protege descendent to be significantly quieter than our 1999 Protege?"

This is not a Protege descendent, so it should. It's really a Focus C-max based on the new Focus II, both of which are not sold in America.
  • lkusminlkusmin Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the responses. I have my doubt about that 7th seat, though; from the photos, it doesn't look wide enough to accomodate either a full-sized adult (and my wife and I are both a bit chunky) or a child in a car seat. I guess it might be right-sized for our 10-year-old mother's helper, though.
  • lazyfoxlazyfox Member Posts: 90
  • starlightmicastarlightmica Member Posts: 58
    There are a couple of articles from detnews.com and auto.com that state that the US market isn't going to get the +1 seat. It looks similar to the 05 Odyssey's PlusOne seat in that the center passenger sits slightly higher and their thighs sit upon the insides of the outboard seats. Of course, the Mazda5 is 7 inches narrower, so it's a tight fit.

I'm hoping that the 3rd row LATCH seats and DSC make it to the US.
This discussion has been closed.