Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti QX56

Comments

• benbobenbo Member Posts: 13
    I wrote earlier about purchasing a low mileage 5,000 - 8,000 '07 or new '08 and kind of got the response to buy new. I went to a dealer 75 miles away who had no 07s on hand but did have two demo 08s. One listed for $54,000, the other $57,000. I could not get him to give a quite on the demos as he wanted to talk new. I left with no deal. On the drive back home, another dealer called who had an '07 show Q56, 9,000 miles, 22 inch wheels, custom grill and trim. He wants $47,000 and did not want to budge. I am tempted to walk. Is it me are do the Infinti dealers play hard ball in South Florida?
  • keg97keg97 Member Posts: 189
    Have you tried going outside your area? I was emailing dealers as far away as 200 miles away...
  • mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    I would recommend QX56 2008 vs 2007. Much nicer and better features including automatic folding 3rd row seat. I would try infiniti of Coconut Creek for a 2008 QX, which is where I made my deal. They had many of these SUV's sitting in the lot.
    Be prepared to spend some time there.( Read my prior posts). Since moving to Florida I have found the car dealers challenging to deal with. Good luck.
  • johnhwjohnhw Member Posts: 111
    Spoke to my Infiniti dealer today about a 2008 QX56. The story on the 2009 is it will be out in June, with no changes versus the 2008. Then in 2010, the production moves back to Japan and there will be an extensive change then. I need one long before then so didn't ask about the changes coming in 2010.
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    Now that you mention it, I think I did read somewhere about QX production moving to Japan in 2010...although I don't think it's "returning" to Japan...I beleive the only factory the QX has been assembled in to date is Mississippi.
    I have noticed while driving both QX56 and escalades but have not seen a 2008 sequoia on the road. Have test drove one when the dealer first received one. Do see plenty of new highlanders and older model sequoias. I am quite shocked, as there appears to be many people acquiring sequoias on the forum.
    I have yet to see any new Sequoias on the road (really....none), but our dealers have PLENTY sitting on their lots (including all 3 of the ones that we looked at/test drove right around Xmas). My personal opinion is that the new Sequoia has a great powertrain and an excellent interior, in terms of room/flexibility, but the dash is a blessed mess and there is little "luxury" feel to it. We brought one home for a weekend visit and I started to warm up a bit to it, but not enough to even strongly consider it. That dash is just a mess....especially when you consider what Toyota is trying to charge for a Platinum model. You're talking QX, Escalade, GL, Denali, Navigator territory....
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter hopes to speak with current owners of large SUVs who are trying to sell their vehicle and their experience. If you are a consumer with a large SUV that just sold or looking to sell, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Monday, March 24, 2008.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I wanted to reply to mlevine and share my buying experience. I traveled to Coconut Creek infiniti, about one and a half hours away, after making contact via the web. This is a hudge dealership with hundreds of cars on the lot. They also have plenty of salespersons who greeted ( kind of swarmed) me as I pulled up. As mlevine noted ,be prepared to spend lots of time. I spent the greater part of six (6) hours. If you stick to your guns, refuse to be intimidated, get good numbers before you go and stick to them, you can make a good deal. Bear in mind that the store must turn a profit and are not going to give cars away, you will do okay. I received a price a little over $7000.00 off MRSP. I left feeling that if I had haggled a little,more, a little longer and a little more aggressive , I could have wrung a few more hundred out of him. But,, I guess that I will never know. Life is good!!!! Thanks for the lead.
    So what did you get?
    I purchased a new 2008 QX56 2WD black on black with DVD and a few other minor options that listed out at $56,800.00. The complimentary oil change was thrown in but I refused to pay for the other dealer profit add-ons, ie.. paint and seat protection wheel locks etc.
    Glad you obtained the QX56. Infiniti of Coconut Creek is not as far away from me as you. I dealt with the dealer in palm beach initially, as this dealership is where I leased my Q45. It is important today to use the internet when interested in a vehicle, as one has unlimited access to many dealerships in the country. To purchase a vehicle and have it shipped to you is quite common today. For maintence your local dealer should is readily available.
  • docrock143docrock143 Member Posts: 18
    Hi all....I have 125K miles on my 03 Lexus LX 470; I am not ready to move on - it has been a good SUV though. I am not about to entertain buying an 08 LX550 with a sticker of $75K+...I am considering the 08 QX56 with a sticker price $20K less...most of the ones on my local dealer's lots retail at $56K.

Everyone happy with the newer versions of the QX? I know the first years models were disastrous re: reliability.

Ballpark pricing I can expect to pay if I negotiate well?

Best,
    Alan
    Very happy w/ours. I think that you'll find that the vast majority of the '08 owners are very happy. Infiniti seems to have not only made the visual changes to the exterior/interior, but also "tightened" up the assembly. Everything fits well and feels substantial.

You can expect to pay 1000-1500 under invoice. That includes a 1500 rebate that is due to expire the end of this month. I had several dealers who were willing to go a couple hundred over invoice and then take the 1500 rebate off of that.

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions! What else are you looking at?
  • johnhwjohnhw Member Posts: 111
    Very happy with my recent purchase of a 2008 QX 56. I got the base model, no options, 2WD and paid just under $50k while financing at 2.9% for 63 months from Infiniti financial services. This vehicle has all the options most would want in the base model with just Rear DVD and Intelligent Cruise control and 4WD as options, made buying it easy. Very nice interior and fit and finish. I like the looks of it over most other SUV's I considered. Mileage is low and it is big, but very happy with my decision as this is what I need for a two month 15+k mile trip with 5 adults, a small dog and my golf clubs late summer this year.
    I must report that I am happy with my purchase of my '08 QX56. I paid about the same , under $50,000.00 including DVD. The purchase was a little tiresome but I am happy with my purchase and the vehicle handles well. I have under 1,000 miles so it may be a little premature but I can tell you that so far ,handling, appearance, and response from others makes me smile. I own a GMC Yukon, which I did not trade, so MPG was not a shock. I might add that you must be prepared to work on the salesperson but you should be able to close the deal with everything except AWD and Intelligence Cruise for around $49,000.00. Be careful of the dealer add-on because they can take the goodness out of the deal.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    When you state tiresome do you mean 2+ hours of negotiations?
    Read back b.c his negotiation story is great. He may even loan out his kids to help facilitate the process for ya....a great story!!! :)

On the flip side, my negotiations were great...got the dealer to move 5K in 20 minutes. I was very happy with my dealer from test-driving to delivery.
  • founderfounder Member Posts: 48
    Haven't heard that, but it is more then likly true. I read that Nissan is going to separate the platforms so that the QX will be totally different from the Armada. I think it may be true about the QX heading to Japan, but you never know. I must say that this truck while good ofr the value is a mixed bag in the looks dept. Sometime i see them on the street and they look nice and other times I go ughhh.
    Nissan has already said that production of the QX will be moving to Japan, likely based upon the Patrol platform.

As for the looks, I'm there with you...and I own one! I LOVE the look of the Escalade in white...classy but with an attitude. My wife (a rather good judge of looks...except in the husband dept! :shades: ) still says that she really think that the QX looks nearly as classy and nice as the Escalade. There are days when I love the QX look and others when I'm not so into it.
    "Sometime i see them on the street and they look nice and other times I go ughhh"

That could be especially if you looked at the driver first and not the SUV
    Took our first long drive with the QX this past week. Traveled about 2-2.5 hour trip across the state mostly highway. Wife drove, threw out my back right before this vacation. One of the most enjoyable trips in a SUV. We have black exterior and of course the dirt was quite noticeable. Immediately had the car washed upon return, back not healed had to go to car wash. At times wished we had chosen another color, but black is my wife's choice.
    Black through a car was will leave a ton of micro scratches. After awhile you will notice a bunch of scratches when looking at it under the sun or daylight flourescent. Black is very high maintenance to keep looking new.
  • stevecfostevecfo Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know when the 2009's are scheduled to be released?
    By James R. Healey, USA TODAY
    Nissan (NSANY) says it will stop making the Quest minivan and its full-size SUV, the Infiniti QX56, at its Canton, Miss., factory and use it to make "light commercial vehicles" starting in the first quarter of 2010.
    The automaker did not say when or where —or if — it will build next-generation versions of the minivan and big SUVS, which are slow sellers in declining market segments, when the plant switches to the unspecified commercial trucks.

"The decision has not been finalized. The intention is to continue them, but we don't know where we will manufacture them," Nissan spokeswoman Frederique Le Greves said Monday.

"When we get to the end of each vehicle's cycle, we look at the market" and decide the fate of each vehicle, she said.

Quest is an also-ran in the shrinking minivan market, with sales down about 38% the first quarter vs. a year ago, according to Autodata. Its sales rank it eighth among nine vans currently in production, behind even the nearly invisible Mazda5 mini-minivan.

The Infiniti QX, a luxury version of the Nissan Armada, had sales up 11%, but it sells in such small numbers that it ranks 80th of 102 SUVs currently in production.

Canton will continue to make the Nissan Altima sedan and Titan pickup, Nissan said, and it will invest $118 million to expand Canton to build three commercial vehicles in 2010 for the North American market. The trucks will use Cummins diesel engines specifically designed for Nissan and manufactured in the USA, Nissan said.

"They are not European vehicles that we already make. They will be designed, developed and manufactured in the U.S. for U.S. customers," Le Greves said.

Nissan would not describe them further, beyond saying they will be in the under-8-ton gross vehicle weight (GVW) category. A GVW rating is the weight of the truck plus the cargo it can carry safely. If the GVW rating is 8 tons and the truck weighs 6 tons, it safely can carry 2 tons.

Heavy-duty versions of conventional passenger vehicles, such as so-called 1-ton SUVs and pickups (for their cargo capability), have GVW ratings up to about 5 tons.

A few Detroit models go further, however. For example, the beefiest of Ford's F-Series, the F-550, are available with GVW ratings up to 9.5 tons. Such vehicles generally use dual rear wheels on each side, instead of the singles on lighter-duty models.
    Any reason to wait for the '09? I highly doubt that it will get any new features since it is supposed to be redesigned for '10 and was just refreshed for '08.
    Tried Mequires wash, then used the clay bar, then applied mequires deep crystal paint cleaner followed by polish. Truck looked very nice took out paint swirls and blemishes. Did not use wax as truck surface was very hot. My choice of mequires was based on ability to buy products at autozone vs ordering zaino products on line. Any comments appreciated.
    If you're satisfied with the results what more is there?

I live 5 minutes away from a Zaino distributor which is closer than the nearest Checkers so I opt for Zaino. One of the advantages of buying from a Zaino rep is the ability to discuss problems that I have detailing the vehicle. He had a few good ideas something you can't get from the counter person at Checkers.
    agreed. if you're happy...no worries. I love Zaino and especially appreciate the durability.

As for questions, I've emailed Sal Zaino a few times and have always gotten a prompt and thorough response. Who knows their products better than the owner!
    Application of the paint cleaner really enhanced the black paint. I have noticed the truck does not show the dirt as much. To change the subject, we went out with two other couples last night. We went together in the QX56, total of six passengers. We did both city and highway driving. Everyone was quite impressed with the drive and quality of the vehicle, especially how it was so smooth on the highway.
  • scygigscygig Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone, My son is wanting to purchase a 2004 or 5 QX and I would like to know what problems or concerns you owners have had. I have read that Consumer Reports rates the QX as a bad buy and I am concerned of buying someone else's problems. I would rather he get a FX but his heart is set on the QX56.
    The only major issue with the 2004-05 models are the brakes. Make sure that the upgraded brakes were installed before purchasing one of those.
    My wife drove the QX56 2007 which was on the lot at the dealer, and tried the 2008.
    The upgrades to the 2008 and the drive was much better on the 2008 model. With gas prices the big SUVs are not moving as well. Your son may be able to get a good deal on a 2008. We have a 2008 and it is a pleasure to drive.
    Prior to and after my purchase of a 2008 QX56 I read quite number of reviews on the Q56. It seems as though references are made to problems suffered in previous years models but then reference improvements made to the 2008 model. Yet the vehicle receives poor reviews from some consumer magazines. I read one today where the Q was given a "1" out of a possible "10" for fuel economy. It showed combine city/highway of 12.5 MPG. When I looked at the competition , Caddy, Lincoln,M/B, Audi , I see approximately the same MPG give or take 2 miles and those vehicles receive either a 5 or 6 rating. The Q is given praise for having an array of extras for less money than the competition but it does not seem to effect the ratings. I have just turned 2100 miles and I am getting combined mileage of 13.5 to 14.5 . Also comparison is made quite often to the Armada and being able to buy as good a vehicle in the Armada for less money.
    So far my only demerit so to speak is engine noise in the cabin. The more I drive it the less I seem to notice it. Is it me or does the Q get knocked around a bit in the ratings?
    I agree entirely that the QX is underappreciated by the automotive press and the general public. That does not bother me though. I like driving something that flies under the radar and does not attract the attention that a Escalade does.

I would not consider a 04/05 QX. I think that the interior is quite unremarkable for the luxury SUV that it is and the general build quality/reliability is not consistent with the price. We would not have considered the QX w/out the changes/improvements that the 08 brought. The only option I'd like to have had would have been cooled seats. Some of the neat toys on the new EX/FX would have been cool too.

Just to give another perspective to engine noise....I don't really notice it unless you get on the gas a good bit. At cruise, I'm surprised at how quiet this "brick" is.
  • masterplatermasterplater Member Posts: 3
    Just getting into the blog. I am currently leasing an 06 QX56 which expires Sept 08. Just saw the 09 that Infiniti posted recently. I want another QX56 and am trying to decide for a better deal on an 08 or wait for the 09. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Where did Infiniti post information about the '09 model? I'm interested too.
    www.infiniti.com and click QX and it will display a QX that looks like the 08 but it list as 2009. I also received a mail out that showed 2009. I wrote to the website and the reply was possibable release in July.
    Are you a current QX owner?

My findings form this blog indicate the 09 will be very close to the 08 and that the 2010 is likelly have major changes and could be produced at a different location than Canton, Ms
  • founderfounder Member Posts: 48
    I read that there will be no changes for 09 and that they will be out in the summer. Also the QX and the Armada is supposed to get a total redesign for 2010 if they are continued. The Armada i read will likly be continued. Although Nissan has not confirmed officially that the QX will continue on. It's been said that the QX will go in a new direction and no longer be on the same platform or a luxary version of the Armada. Nissan wants to go in a different direction with the QX. It'll be interesting to see what it becomes if it will no longer be based off the Armada if it does continue on.
  • 6infs6infs Member Posts: 6
    Your right the 2004 has big brake problems, insist on the upgrade and don't back down. Other than that, it was a great car it got 15 mpg for all 4 years (regular unleaded). the 2008 is amazing! The electronic upgrades are wonderful, the larger tires really make a difference. I'm getting 12 ish mpg and today it hurts
  • vanbentonvanbenton Member Posts: 2
    I traded my 2005 QX56 in on a 2008. I have not had any challenges with it. I now have 9500 miles and it is running good. I am getting about 14 MPG in the city/highway and 16.5 MPG highway only. I like the new electronics and the changes with the rims/tires and the chrome on the roof racks makes it look better also.
  • rebulrebul Member Posts: 1
    I purchased the 2008 QX56 in early December for $52,000 bottom line. The only extra I got was the dvd entertainment package. I forgot I also got the cargo mats and all the rubber mats for the car too. I thought it was a good deal and 2.9% financing.
  • 6infs6infs Member Posts: 6
    I just picked up my 2nd Q, I had a 2004. I spent a lot of time thinking about the warranty because of the number of miles that I put on in a year.
    A couple things to consider.
    1) My 2004 never cost me a dime more than normal scheduled maint. Tires, oil, fluids and other things. Nothing else. It was the best
    2) Consumer reports just did a write up on them, and they really don't like them. Take a minute go to the library and read the article, the talked about things I never considered.

Also, this Q is our 6th Infiniti, and I have never really had a large out of pocket expense. Quality is really far above what I would expect.
  • itunisitunis Member Posts: 2
    Recently, I decided to sell my 2002 Yukon XL and upgrade to a more luxurious full size SUV. My wife and I tried out pretty much every competitor, and we were shocked at how great a difference there was between them and the QX. I set out thinking I'd get the Escalade, and that I only would try the others to be a responsible buyer.
    As it turns out, the Navigator was woefully underpowered and had a "retro" interior that wasn't too great, the Q7 and G-Class were a bit small, and the Escalade, along with a disappointing interior, had pricey extras that came standard on the QX.
    When we got around to buying the QX56, we planned to buy a used 2008 with a few thousand miles. With gas prices sky high, we were able to find a 4WD QX with the DVD player and front sonar/adaptive cruise control-fully loaded- for just 40,000 dollars. That's about the same as we paid for our Yukon- I consider it one of the bargains of the century. :D
    Congrats! I'm assuming that you got a used '08 for 40K.

We had much the same assessment about the QX's competitors. I wanted (and still do) to love the Escalade but the lack of some features, the terribly designed 3rd row (not folding into the floor), and the high price told us otherwise. Interestingly, I thought going into the process that we would end up with the QX and I ended up being correct. I was super stoked to see the new '08 (the first one that arrived in Raleigh) had significantly improved most of the problem areas on the QX. The only reason that I don't absolutely love the QX is the "unique...only a mother could love" front end/headlights.

5K and we love our QX though...very functional and well thought out.
  • jodistarjodistar Member Posts: 1
    Have you heard of their new self healing paint? For real! Check it out! (The heat from the sun, takes the gel of the paint and fills in the scratches! )
  • cspringcspring Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 QX56 83k miles on it. Has anyone else had the following problem:
    While driving along at around 50-60 mph the car will suddenly lose power or turn off. The 4wd drive indicator the check engine soon and brake indicator all blink rapidly.
    I then glide to the side of the road put car in park and restart the car as if nothing happened.

It has happened 3x, after the first time I brought it in, but nothing showed on the diagnostic. It happened again 2x yesterday along with a hiccup at speed. I want to say it has something to do with the transmission, but that's a guess. all indicators and gauges are normal except when it loses power.

Has this happened to anybody else and what is wrong. Thanks.
  • hack821hack821 Member Posts: 2
    has anyone experience annoying rattles of the dvd screen when driving? I have a 2008 QX and the rattling is very distracting...I literally have to wedge a rag behind the screen to soften the sound.
  • hack821hack821 Member Posts: 2
    my 2008 QX 56 has paint peeling off the hood. is this covered by warranty?