Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Legacy Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Sounds like the dealer's fairly straightforward if they're offering a decent price up front. Maybe offer to buy it on the spot for somewhere in the low-to-mid $17s, or high $16s if it doesn't have new tires. And I'd only offer that amount for a vehicle in excellent, "like new" condition. Again, even paying $17.9k seems like a fair deal, especially when it's a car that's somewhat hard to find.

I think it's always tougher to buy used cars than new, 'cause you never know what the dealer paid for it. Good luck!
  • clicli Member Posts: 2
    Interested in getting a new 2006 Subura Legacy SE sedan, but not getting much response from the dealers around here. (I emailed several of them for quotes.) I live in Central Washington area. Any suggestions, Jeffmc and others?
  • luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    Did you check their inventories? Go to subaru.com and check inventories with your zip code.
    I highly recommend Carter Subaru in Seattle (actually Shoreline) for any new Subaru purchase. Contact them through the internet, you'll get no-pressure, take-it-or-leave-it pricing right up front. I've purchased several vehicles from them this way, and have friends and co-workers who have also. No regrets, no complaints, best car-buying experiences ever. It's nice to find an honest dealer/salesperson for a change. Depending on how far you're coming from, if you're willing to drive to Carter for service they've got free loaners, too, and a service dept. that's open 7 days a week - early and late most days. If you need any more info about Carter, feel free to e-mail me... you can view my profile (which contains my e-mail address) by clicking on my name in the title of the post.

Now, the real hard part is that you're about a month too late. There aren't many '06s left... '07s have been arriving for a month or more. Checking Carter's website, they've got a 2006 SE wagon, a Limited sedan, and two GT Limited sedans. That's it. The rest of their Legacies are 2007s. They're one of the country's largest dealerships, and usually have a good selection, but only have those 4 '06s left.

You might e-mail them for a quote on that Limited sedan (silver, automatic)... it's a small step up from the Special Edition, but I bet the price will surprise you - in a good way. :) Also, there's already a $700 rebate offered on '07s, so you may want to consider that as another option. They'd probably also be willing to sell an '06 SE from their loaner car fleet, if that's what you're set on.

Other than that, maybe try Carr Subaru, if you're willing to drive to the Portland area (Beaverton). They offer a low, set price on every vehicle, and are also one of the country's biggest Subaru sellers.

Happy hunting, and let me know if there's anything else I can do.
  • clicli Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much Jeffmc. See my email. cli
  • dpalumbodpalumbo Member Posts: 4
    Jeff -

Thanks for your help. Just wanted to let you know that I am now the proud owner of a 2005 Legacy GT. 5MT, Regal Blue... just picked it up a few hours ago! I called the dealer back and he came down $400... so I got it for $17,500. Really not bad at all -- the car appears to be in excellent condition...23,000 miles..

I'm very happy.

:)

Thanks for your help and support, it is much appreciated!

::heading over to legacygt.com to learn a bit more about my new vehicle::

Regards,

- Dave
    WooHoo! I'm savin' souls for Subaru this week! :) Congrats on the GT... sounds like a beaut and a very good price. Great value for the amount of vehicle you're getting. That's a decent forum for us Legacy owners, but Edmunds seems to be a more friendly community, at least to me, so I "hang out" here and check up on the rumors over there.

Check out the Subaru Crew Cafe and Subaru Crew - Meet the Members II to talk with other Subaru owners here about Subarus or, well, pretty much anything else. :) There's a pretty nice group of regulars (and some irregulars as well ;) ).
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Congrats, Dave. We joke that half of all Subaru owners are named Dave, for whatever reason it's the most common name among our Crew.

Hop on over, we also chat live every Thursday night.

-juice
  • rbramrbram Member Posts: 4
    I am close to pulling the trigger on a 2007 Legacy GT Spec B. I have been offered about $1,000 under MSRP. Has anyone done a deal with a 2007 yet, curious to know how this compares?
  • flyboy616flyboy616 Member Posts: 5
    Dealer inventories of the 2006 Legacy SE are getting very low, that’s true.

I started looking a week ago, checked Subaru’s website for inventory of all the dealerships within a two-hour drive and found very little. Those I called or email on were demo models, which didn’t interest me.

I had pretty much decided to give up and start pursuing the 2007 model (no cash-back offer) when out of the blue, last Friday, I received a response from a dealership about an hour drive away. It was the last 06 SE on his lot and not a demo (67 miles on it).

The vehicle didn’t have many options on it (auto-dimming mirror/compass and splash guards, that’s it), but that was pretty much all I was looking for anyway.

I guess the lesson there is not to give up yet just yet. Call or email every dealer within the range you are willing to drive and ask.
    Hey, congrats on finding one of the last ones! In my region (NW), the '07s have $700 cash back... not as good as the $2k we got on our '06s, but it's somethin'. The only option included on mine was the subwoofer/amp, which in retrospect I'm pleased to have gotten. The SEs come with plenty of features standard, so even though I didn't add many extras (I did order splash guards and tint the windows), I don't feel like I'm really missing anything.
  • flyboy616flyboy616 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks. It's pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

The car is going to be a family vehicle for a couple of years, at which time my daughter will take it with her to college out west. It’ll be her car then and will still have plenty of mileage/reliability/safety remaining in.

Whether it still has all those things once she graduates four years later is up to her and how well she treats it and maintains it.

Good info to know about the $700 back on the ‘07s. I never researched the ‘07s, so I'm not sure if it's available in my area (midwest).

One of the salesmen I dealt with on the ’06 said the MSRP on the ’07 is a couple of hundred dollars less than the ’06. True? I don't know, but it's worth mentioning, I suppose, for those logging on here looking for info on the ’07 model.

Edit add: I'd be curious to know if the invoice on the '07 is also a couple hundred less than a comparable '06.
    '07 Legacy SE automatic sedan invoice = $21,175
    '06 Legacy SE automatic sedan invoice = $22,160

Wow - '07 has nearly $1000 lower invoice and a few more features. Didn't realize the price difference was that great. Nice work by Subaru making it an even better value. I'm sure the factory-to-dealer incentives aren't as high on the '07s, but folks must be picking up '07s for a pretty low price.

You can find invoices on all the Subaru models here:
    http://www.cars101.com/legacy.html
    I think Edmunds lists invoices as well.
  • notecedarnotecedar Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for your detailed info. I am shopping for an 06/07 WRX STI and noticed a huge CND/US price difference. I'm from Newmarket and was wondering if you might suggest a US dealer and anything else you may feel could be useful. I'm selling an 02 Trans Am collector's edition prior to this purchase - Autotrader? - ebay motors? I usually traded-in.
    Thanks,
    Jim
    Wow, indeed. I think the 06 had a $2000 incentive, so let's see what the 07s get (eventually).

-juice
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    My friend is shopping for a 2007 Legacy GT wagon, and he has been offered $100 over invoice by the Internet manager at a local Subaru dealer. He would have to order it as they don't have any in stock. Apparently there is also a $750 rebate. It seems like a good deal. Should I tell him to go for it?
    I'd look for a left over '06. They had a $2000 incentive and cut-rate financing (both).

-juice
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    The dealer claims there is only one '06 GT wagon left in the state (CA), and he can't get it. Otherwise that would be my suggestion too.

On the other hand, with the lower invoice on the '07s, maybe the final price on an '06 wouldn't be that much less anyway.
    Plus he may get some gas savings over the life of the vehicle with the "SI Drive" in the '07, so that may help offset any additional cost.
    Guess so. They say you can save about 10% of your fuel, which doesn't sound like much, but over time that adds up. At 15k miles/year, 22mpg average vs. 20 without it, you save 68 gallons, or a little over $200 a year.

I keep my cars for a long time, the Forester is 9 years old, so that would be $1800 already.

Yeah, go for the '07, especially if you keep 'em long.

-juice
  • needacar2000needacar2000 Member Posts: 8
    Just got $21000+TTL for a 2006 Subaru Legacy 4dr Station Wagon 2.5 i w/Special Edition Package form the dealer. Is this a good price?
    I'm in IL.
    Thanks.
  • civic2kcivic2k Member Posts: 18
    Does anyone know when subaru usually increases incentives for their cars (i know the legacy JUST hit dealers a few weeks ago). I decided to pass on the 06 when I found out that the rear seats did not fold down but did on the 07.

While I don't need to finance a car, at 0% I'd rather hold onto my money and have it make interest for me.
    I think it's a fair price if it's an automatic transmission. You may be able to knock up to $1000 more off, which would be about as low as possible, but if they won't budge, you're not being taken for a ride or anything - it is a fair offer.

Since the '06s are nearly all gone, I'd ask for invoice, minus $2000 rebate, minus factory-to-dealer incentive, which is probably about $1200. Right now it looks like they're giving you about $200 out of their incentive, assuming there aren't many added options.
    Thanks. It's an automatic transmission and no other added options.
    I'll try to get $1000 more off.
  • mpansare1mpansare1 Member Posts: 29
    needacar2000, take a look at my post (#375) in this thread. I bought a 2006 Legacy SE wagon end July in MD for 21,500 including TTL. I've listed the price breakdowns. Good luck.
    Great! Thanks.
    Just got another quote the dealer. 2006 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 i w/Limited Edition $22600+TTL. Is this a good price?
    I'm in IL.
    Thanks a lot.
    Invoice is $25,300, minus $1500 rebate is $23,800, so they're offering about... $1200 below invoice before the rebate is applied! Today is the last day of the current incentives, so there's no way of knowing if the rebates will go up, down or stay the same, but that's a great deal either way and I doubt you could do better by waiting or going anywhere else. I'd jump on it while it's still in stock, if you like the car.

Here's what you're adding by going with the Limited instead of the SE:
    Dual Zone climate control.
    6 disc CD changer in dash.
    Leather interior, steering wheel, parking brake handle and shift knob (leather instead of cloth would be a big bonus if you get the light taupe interior - easier cleanup).
    All Weather package with heated seats, defrosting outside mirrors, front windshield wiper de-icer.
    Determine if those options are worth the $1600 price increase over the SE to you, and if they are, go for it - they're making you a great offer.
  • baibai Member Posts: 4
    Thanks. :D
    Tax, Title, License
    Recent got from dealer. Thank you in advance for your idea.
    Thans! :)
    This isn't the 2.5i SE, is it? I'm assuming this is not the SE, has an automatic transmission, no additional options, and that you're not in a state that has California emissions standards. If that's correct, $24,700 is the invoice for this vehicle, minus the big $2750 rebate brings you to $20,950. Not sure what the factory-to-dealer incentive is running at this time, but I'd guess $500-$1200, plus the dealer gets a profit holdback from Subaru.

They're not overcharging you, but I wouldn't pay more than the invoice minus rebates ($20,950), plus TTL. You may be able to go all the way down to about $20k, but that's just a guess. They should be eager to clear the '06s out... I don't think you'll have a problem getting a great deal instead of just a good deal. I'd e-mail a couple other dealers to get some competitive bids if this dealer won't come down.

Good luck & feel free to post any other questions that come up! :)
    Thanks a lot.
  • hunter18hunter18 Member Posts: 3
    A Richmond, VA dealer's out-the-door price for the Legacy Limited wagon with NO optional equipment was $24,506. Includes the current $750 rebate.
    Anybody out there know if this is a good deal? Doesn't seem to me it's great but it is the new '07 model so....

Three other quotes from different dealers were in the same ballpark but all were higher.
    Not sure if you're you're including tax & license when you say "out-the-door". Invoice is about $24,300, minus the rebate is about $23,550. I think $24,500 is a fair price this early into the '07 model year - not great, but good. If that price includes tax & license, I think it's very good. If you want to dicker for a better deal, tell each of the dealers you'll buy on the spot for invoice minus rebate and see if any'll bite... and maybe wait a few days 'til they start thinking about end-of-the-month quotas/incentives. My 2 cents. Good luck.
    To answer your question re: TTL being included in the out-the-door price, the answer is yes.

Your "2 cents" is much appreciated and I will try the invoice-minus-rebate approach. All they can say is no but it's still worth a try.
    Ah, it includes TT&L... depending on the tax rate in your state, that $24,500 may be a very good price. Where I'm at, the taxes & fees end up adding about 10% onto the cost of the vehicle. If you're similarly taxed, they'd already be offering you a price well below invoice before the tax is applied. Even at the end of model years, I think the most I've seen a Legacy or Outback discounted is about $1200 below invoice before rebates... if your taxes are similar to mine, it sounds like they're already offering you something in that ballpark.

Getting invoice minus rebate minus TTL would be hard to do unless you're in a state with very low taxes.
    Sales tax in VA is 5%.

The dealer initially offered a $23,499 figure PLUS taxes, title, tags and $175 processing fee. I'm assuming the $750 rebate was figured in there somewhere so I asked him for a bottom line, out-the-door price with everything factored in.

His final figure came to the $24,506.72 price ($173 over Edmund's invoice figure of $24,333).
  • skillyskilly Member Posts: 1
    Today, I bought a 2007 Legacy GT Limted in Bloomington Indiana. The price paid was $14 over edmunds invoice. The options were appearance package (can't remeber the # but spoiler, shock sensor, mats(both kinds), and compass mirror with homelink, and adjustable arm rest.) The car is black with black leather. So far I'm thrilled. had 15 miles on it when purchased. :D
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    The closest dealer to me has 0 Legacy models on the lot (plenty of Outbacks and B9's though). The 2nd closest dealer has 1 leftover '06 spec B and an '07 Legacy 2.5i SE. What gives? I'd like to toy with the idea of trading in my F-XT for an '07 GT, at least to test drive one. But, nothing to test drive makes that part difficult...

-Brian
    Sales numbers are up so high they can't keep 'em on the lots. :P

Really, though, that's weird, especially w/winter fast-approaching in your neck of the woods. Maybe Legacy allocations are going to the coasts and/or urban areas more?
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Not to mention they (Subaru) are in the middle of their "guaranteed trade-in program" as well. Plus, at least in the Legacy forums here, the banner ads are for the Legacy.

I guess winter sales are probably more Outback/Forester/Tribeca oriented around here anyway.

This Subaru dealer also sells Honda and Toyota and Scion at the same location, and their storage lot in the rear of the dealership is actually quite empty. It's a big dealership in the area with another location that has Nissan and Hyundai.

-Brian
    Do you have to get a mailer to qualify for that? I wonder what they'd give us for the 02 Legacy L, 44k miles. Wish there was a web site where you could get those values without having to go to a dealer.

-juice
  • slazengerslazenger Member Posts: 99
    You can check here. If you exceed max milage limit (on corresponding MY), they will knock off $0.20/mile.
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    I don't have a MY that matches the offer, but I am curious as to how fair you think the GTP prices are? About what other dealers would offer in trade - or better?

Dennis
  • slazengerslazenger Member Posts: 99
    If you car is older than 2002, it is whatever the dealer think is appropriate. I think SOA is seeking only 5 years old cars to help dealers sell them as CPOs. If you qualify for GTP program (and you are within prescribed milage limits - 15000miles/year), IMO SOA is really offering a very good value which is NADA(in excellent condition)+$50.
    I spoke to a friend at SoA and was told you can call 800-SUBARU3 to get help with appraising your trade-in. Wouldn't hurt to call first - no surprises at the dealer.

For our 02 Legacy L, 5 speed, 44k miles, with alloys and a moonroof, I get $11,425 trade-in and $13,650 retail.

It's $50 over the trade? $11,475 is still quite good.

-juice
  • pegasuszzpegasuszz Member Posts: 31
    I want to determine a competitive price for a LGT sedan, manual, no nav. (I would get a wagon if it were available with manual trans).
    I'd like to compare the cost for a leftover 2006 vs an 07; I believe there were no significant changes. I could not determine inventory from SOA's site; it showed inventory by dealer, not by model.
    In previous posts I've seen many people getting prices below invoice even before incentives are counted. How is that possible?
    thanks
  • al2005al2005 Member Posts: 9
    Hi,
    Can anybody tell me if $20500 is fair price for 2007 Legacy 2.5i Special Edition? The price has included manufacture rebate and is before TTL. I am in NJ. It sounds ok compared with Edmunds market price. But I checked FitzMall and found the price for SE was $1000 lower than I quoted. Can i do any better? Which resource should i use as the benchmark?
    Thanks a lot!