Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    I thought it was a federal law or such that a company had to supply parts for items up to 7 years after they were discontinued.
  • kinkokinko Member Posts: 48
    I guess you're referring to the post-warranty service is not guaranteed by Mazda. I can accept that. If my mechanic can service my mpv and cost less after the warranty period, so I'll go to my local mechanic. Steve, are you telling us that Mazda dealer can refuse owners of Mazda 323, 626, 929, Millenia, and protege for services just because all these models had already be discontinued?
    I heard that Oldsmobile owners may take their cars to a GM service department for service.
    No wonder the Camry and Accord can sell themselves, because the model/name had been out there for decades without being discontinued.
    I can understand why Microsoft discontinued supporting Windows 3.1, 95, because there isn't much systems out there run these OS, therefore not much money to make from support it.
  • saabermomsaabermom Member Posts: 8
    I compared Edmunds trade in/private party #s for Base 2002 MPVs and Odys:

MPV $11,000 Trade in, $12,000 Private Party
    ODY $17,500 Trade in, $19,000 Private Party

Kind of wipes out that $4000 initial spread...

Now, whatever we buy we plan on keeping for 7-10 years, so resale values are less important for us. But, you never know, and that is a HUGE difference (and I suspect that MPV values will drop another notch due to the production/distribution halt).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I haven't searched lately, but I've never found the 7 year rule (or any federal/state law) that requires the manufacturer to perform warranty service or stock parts for a certain number of years.

Last time I searched, I couldn't even find any contractual info in bid requests from the feds with any similar kinds of requirements.

There was a similar thread over in Isuzu Trooper a few months back; here's a representative post:

troop2shos "Isuzu Trooper" Dec 15, 2003 9:22pm

I guess you guys are gonna make me go look again - if anyone has a clue, please speak up!

Steve, Host
    More:

steve_ "Isuzu Trooper" May 14, 2002 2:18pm

Note the response from the Land Rover NA employee who says the parts stocking requirement is an urban legend:

tincup47 "Land Rover Range Rover" May 14, 2002 3:25pm

Steve, Host
  • kinkokinko Member Posts: 48
    I believe that availability of used MPVs in the local market should contribute more to their resale values, more than what the Blue book or Edmunds TMV are telling us what a MPV value is.
    I had been looking for a used 2003 MPV LX in the range of $14K-$15K or 2002 in the range of $11k to $12k, for a long while. No luck. Not many owners would turn around and sell their MPV for these prices. Check out autotraders.com and see how many private sellers out there in your area and what prices they're asking for. I would rather keeping it, unless my MPV has a damaged title. BTW, two months ago, I found a 02 LX in a local dealer who posted sale price of $16K, and it didn't stay there for more than three week. I did a test drive just to see how a two years old MPV would ride. I asked the salesman the odds of buying it for $15k even. You can guess what the answer was.
    If resale value is important to you, buy the Odyssey. Because the most owners who bought 2003 or older Odyssey paid MSRP for it. So logically, you should do better than those owners when it's time to sell it.
    I found that the MPV fit in my garage and budget better than other full/mid-sized vans. I still like to own a Odyssey or Sienna van, but I'd decided to save $4k-$5k buying a MPV and use the savings to finish the basement, at least part of it.
    Buy what you need and be happy with it. Good luck with your purchase.
  • goodluckgoodluck Member Posts: 2
    We bought our MPV ES for $23,100 last weekend at Oak Tree Mazda, Sunnyvale. The dealership is very nice, this is the sister concern of Oak Tree Mazda of San Jose.

Our ES had:

1. LEather seats
    2. 6 CD changer
    3. all season floor mats
    4. all power attribs - driver seat, windows etc
    5. roof rack

We felt it was a good deal in teh end.
  • saabermomsaabermom Member Posts: 8
    Good point on the realities of the resale market. I do think that one key reason why there are so few 2002 MPVs out there (and therefore higher prices) is that the car is only a couple years old. I compared the 2002 models simply by virtue of the fact that the Mazda changed signficantly that year...
  • catlady245catlady245 Member Posts: 19
    I need input from veteran car buyers.. I am interested in a specific van color(razor blue) which my local dealer doesnt have but a distant dealer (15 miles) does.

Can the dealers trade vans and does it affect the price!!!??? The dealer who does have the color I would like is not one who I would like to give my business to..

Thanks..
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    The dealer loses the holdback when doing a dealer swap....on an MPV this can affect the dealers revenue by $400-600.
  • go_ducks1go_ducks1 Member Posts: 1
    We picked up an '04 MPV LX Plus. The MSRP was 23260. With the rear bumper step plate, roof rack, wheel locks, side airbags and traction control, power moonroof, power sliding doors, 4 season towing package, destination fee, the MSRP was 27395. There was a 5000 incentive, and we offered 22000.

Our first offer was on a higher end van (leather and power seats), and I offered TMV from Edmunds. It was below invoice, so they said, "no." On the second offer, on Edmunds, invoice was 25254, TMV was 24894 with an adjusted price of 22,394, so 22,000 seems reasonable to me.

Based on the information from this site, when offered the extended warranty and body shield, I wasn't gutsy enough to ask to see their cost on the items, but I asked if it was negotiable. When told "yes," I said, "well, you figure what you think is fair, tell me, and then I can say yes or no." The finance person took it to the manager, and they offered me both at their employee rate. All told, I got the 6/60000 warranty, full road side coverage including tires, and the body armour exterior and interior coatings, tax, license, and all fees, for 24804.

This van is really nice. It drives like a car, but has the space of a van. It's quieter than the Chrysler Town and Country and drove as nicely as the Honda Odyssey. The Odyssey's cost and transmission recall took it out of the equation for us.

Our choices were Sienna (eight week wait), Quest (too big for our garage), and the MPV. I'm sure we'll be very happy with this vehicle for a very long time.

Service was outstanding. Dealership was clean, professional, low-key atmosphere. When I trade in my 12-year old Honda in a few years, I'll be back at this dealership to get into a 6 or similar.
  • catlady245catlady245 Member Posts: 19
    I am torn between the Razor Blue and the cosmic sand plus whether to buy leather or cloth.

Does anybody have any opinions on a more visible color? I live in W PA where the sun only shines completely approx 50 days a year.

Also how durable is the light beige cloth seats? I currently have a darker beige in my Subaru and after five years it has taken a beating.

Thanks for any input. I've noticed the Mazda lots are slowly emptying of 2004 MPVs and the only colors left in greater numbers are Nordic Green, Black, White Pearl and silver.
    Any recent buyers in Michigan feel free to reply:

A newspaper reporter would like to talk with recent minivan buyers who live in Michigan. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com or swebster@freepress.com with your daytime phone number by Thursday, June 17, 2004. Thanks,

Jeannine Fallon, PR Director
    Edmunds.com

Steve, Host
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Hello all...not much activity here in this forum. Lets try to liven things up shall we. I'm the proud owner of a new Mazda MPV LX with the Sport Package. Also, LX Plus Pkg, the Traction and Airbag Pkg and roof rack. Total sticker price was $26,000. With rebate and saying that my figures didn't match with dealers(as well as getting up to walk out 3 times) I was able to get a purchase price of $20,600. An out the door price of $22,100.It's the best looking van in my opinion(got the cosmic sand) at a great price.Rides and handles great.Dealer still has around 10 on lot...willing to deal if you know the numbers.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • daron1daron1 Member Posts: 18
    We got our Titanium LX w/sports pkg.,side bags/traction, rack, LX-plus...just after Christmas(pre-rebate offers) for invoice(Really good dealer experience in Bel Air, MD). It's got almost 14,000 miles already & we really love it. Just back from the Adirondacks where we avg.'d 25mpg(no a/c). Handling was awesome! through the mts. near Lake Placid. Had trans. glitch fixed + psng. air bag recall. Otherwise, it's perfect. The titanium grey isn't spectacular(razor blue mpv's leave me w/some regret...also wish it had a pinstripe), but it doesn't show the dirt. Only minor complaint is that the armrests could use more padding...you can feel the skeleton inside & I worry about the durablility. Otherwise, we love it!
  • mainsail1mainsail1 Member Posts: 1
    Just reentered the site to report my trade deal in St. Pete FL last week. Razor Blue with luggage rack and wheel locks only with a sticker of 24,060.00 went down as follows: Traded in a 2000 LX with 51k miles with dual a/c and side airbags.

22,000.00 selling price of 2004 (under invoice)
    10,500.00 trade allowance (over allowance)
    11,500.00 BALANCE

6.50 battery and tire fees
       499.00 dealer prep (ouch!)
    12,006.00 SUBTOTAL

770.36 Sales and city tax
        75.00 Tag transfer
         2.00 M.V.W.T.F.(fee)

12,853.36 TOTAL CASH SELLING PRICE
    -3,500.00 CASH REBATE
      -500.00 CUSTOMER LOYALTY REBATE

8,853.00 TOTAL OUT THE DOOR PRICE (salesman threw
    in floormats and installation of rear bumper step
    plate). There was the 750.00 manufacturer to dealer rebate that I apparently received most of in the discount and/or the trade allowance. I though that this was an excellent trade for 4+ years of ownership of my old MPV. The 2004 seems much improved as well, particularly the drive train.
  • jchangjchang Member Posts: 4
    Hi. I have a quote for MPV LX today. Option that I choose is Traction control, Power Sliding door, and Moon roof. I believe LX Plus package is also included. The out the door price is $22,538.16 thanks to $3500 rebate and extra $500 for college graduation program. Do you think it is a good deal? B.T.W., is there any tip for lower interest rate for finance? I am in Michigan. Thanks.
    You can get a rate online (we partner with Capital One - link's on the left). Then you can ask the dealer to meet it or just go with the online financing.

Steve, Host
  • my2kidsdrivermy2kidsdriver Member Posts: 9
    Here are a couple we've been offered.
    a 2004 MPV tsunami blue mica
    side airbags/traction control
    LX plus package
    LX all-sport package
    MSRP $25,645
    drive out (includes tax aas well as $3,500 rebate and $500 owner loyalty rebate) $21,454.10

OR
     2004 sunlight silver metallic
    side airbags/traction control
    cargo net
    power moon roof
    power sliding doors
    rear bumper step plate
    roof rack
    wheel locks
    4 sasons/towing package
    LX plus package
    MSRP $27,435
    drive-out $23,069

I'd love the four seasons package (and maybe moon roof -- have never had one) but have zero need or desire for power doors. Are these prices good/reasonable?

And is a moon roof a good thing or does it become a liability if I keep the car for 10 years or so?

Thanks for your input.

Bev
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    Before we bought our 2004 ES, I would have agreed with your assessment about power doors: Don't need them. Now that we have them, we really like them. THREE buttons for each door that open or close them. NICE! We wish the rear door was powered too! LOL!
  • steve999steve999 Member Posts: 9
    I have been haggling pretty good over the phone and thru emails. Here's the numbers I have so far and dont think I can get any lower and pretty happy with these prices.

We are looking at the LX with just LX Plus pkg and have gotten a price of $18,506. Or add roof rack and price is $18,700. This doesnt include tax, tag or doc fee. Also, I havent even mention the $500 college grad rebate that I can use. Hopefully the dealer wont refuse it.

These are all from dealers at least 60 miles away but my local dealer said they will beat any price and will locate one for me.
  • my2kidsdrivermy2kidsdriver Member Posts: 9
    Haven't gotten to use doors yet ... car died an hour after we got it and it's been towed back to dealership. they can't find a problem (aside from car won't start). not battery or ignition. Giving us a bigger loaner car tomorrow. have chevy cavalier for today. so far, buying experience is a bummer. 2000 MPV never stranded us!
  • khanhkhanh Member Posts: 4
    Just got my '04 MPV LX with LX plus, Towing Package, Pearl White, and Tracking control and side air bag package for 20000.00 I spend a good 6 hrs at the dealer before I got out the door.

Khanh

So far my wife and everyone else in the family love the Van
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    We've had our 2004 since April, and have not had as much a single hiccup. This thing has been perfect. It now has over 4000 miles on it, and it runs better than when new.

Please let us know what the dealer finds as the source of your problem.

Also, if I were you, I would put your dealer on notice that should you encounter ANOTHER unexpected catastrophic failure, you EXPECT a different van. You shouldn't have to put up with what may turn out to be a lemon.
    We drove 90 miles to a dealer that made me a great offer on a new 04 MPV LX with LX Plus Pkg. They had 4 colors to choose from and we thought Razor Blue was going to be the one but when we say the gray one we loved the way it looked. So that is the one we got.

Here are the numbers:

22,000 van price, got $750 manufacture/dealer rebate,plus $250 disc
    -4,000 rebate, this includes the $500 college grad rebate
    ----------
    18,000 was the final cost of van

They charged a $379 doc fee and plus tax and tag.
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    $379 is pure 100% dealer profit.
  • steve_onsteve_on Member Posts: 70
    All,

Local dealer has a new '03 MPV, loaded with a original sticker close if not at 30K.

So what is a good offer for this vehicle in the board's opinion.

Thanks
    I think ~$50 is ok for a doc fee - those 8 buck an hour clerks who have to go to DMV don't come cheap ;-)

So call it $329 pure dealer profit.

Razor Blue sounds nice though!

Steve, Host
    I'm ok with paying the doc fee on a deal like that! It's amazing how many dealers wouldnt sell me one at that price so I guess that helps.

The Razor Blue looked good in the book and that was going to be the one. But when we saw it in person it didnt do anything for us. Love the way the gray one looks. Think we have a lil over 200 miles now and cant wait for our next road trip!
  • badbackbadback Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased from San Francisco Mazda a new 2004 LX MPV with the following options: LX+, 4 Season/Towing, Side-Air/Traction Control, Wheel Locks and Cargon Net for Invoice less $3,500 rebate. They are working a trade to get the car from Seaside Mazda. It's funny because I had previously talked to Seaside and they had given me a $500 above invoice price before rebate. So my local Sales Rep got me a better deal than I could have gotten myself and apparently worked a three-way win situation at the same time. During my MPV shopping this week I got a $200 below invoice offer from San Jose, a $100 above invoice offer from Oakland, and $293 above invoice offer from Sacramento. All of these offers were before the $3,500 rebate for option configurations close to the one described above. As you know, you can get the invoice amounts and TMV right here on Edmonds.com. Beware, not one Sales Rep or even Service Rep knew from memory about the hard shift transmission problem on MPV's delivered before February. So be advised to ask when your desired car came into their inventory and have them check their TSBs to see whether you need to have the Transmission Control Module computer memory flashed with the new, corrective software. The jerks aren't otherwise volunteering it. Good luck everyone.
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    Traded in our '01 Santa Fe for a:
    '04 MPV LX, Silver
    LX+ and 4 Seasons packages
    MSRP: $25,115 (this was a bit of a lot queen: the current MSRP on KBB shows up as $25,315)
    After $4k in rebates ($3500 + $500 College Grad)
    $17,615

So, how'd I do? I personally think I stole it.
    Got 11,600 in trade (Edmunds estimated $11,286) on the old car, and paid only State taxes and fees, a $49 Credit Report fee and a $399 dealer doc fee on top of the $17,615. Huge doc fee, I know, but I'm pretty sure the dealer lost money anyway. This was a "loss leader" advertised car. Sure is a nice little van!

-Jason
    Jason, you did great!! Makes me wish I would of haggled a lil more!! It's kinda fun!!! But dont do it at the dealer. Haggle over email or over the phone.

Everyone out there looking to buy a new MPV should be able to get at least $1k under invoice if not more and this doesnt include the rebate. As you see, Jason and I did.

Happy Haggling!!
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    and I kind of like the give and take with the dealer. All I did was stick to my guns - I calculated what I thought the out the door price should be (after ad price, trade-in, payoff of my old car, sales tax, etc.) and they took it - grudgingly, but they took it. The "closer" said, "OK, but you gotta PROMISE me you'll give us a perfect score on the survey!"

Their first offer was a "payment" offer. I broke out my trusty financial calculator and backed out the payment they offered into real numbers, and they were roughly $3500 higher than what I figured! Can't blame them for trying, but it's nice to have the knowledge to be able to cut through the smokescreen. Thanks, Edmunds!

Oh, and I wouldn't guarantee that anyone can get $1000+ off invoice. This was an advertised loss leader on a specific van they had in stock. If you go into the dealer bound and determined you're gonna get $1700 below invoice because Jaserb on Edmunds did you're likely to go home without a van.

-Jason
  • mizimizi Member Posts: 1
    We purchased our new 04 MPV today. It's LX, with LX Plus, traction control, all-seasons, auto-dimming, roof-rack, rear spoiler, rear bumper step plate and whitewater pearl. not sure if it comes with that special paint.
    Invoice is $24327 w/o special paint fee, - $4000 (rebate+graduate)
    we got it down to $20400. The car has no auto-dimming, they have to put it on. even though the invoice is $184, the labor they said is another $100. We insisted, got $20400.

Not sure the problem of "hard shift transmission problem". I think this car is built on last year, billed to dealer this March.
    Also, they charged us $100 doc fee, they must make another $50 profit from us. We will go tomorrow to discuss finance tomorrow. Is there any way to avoid the extra $50? maybe I ask too much.
    I moved your post over to the main Mazda MPV discussion since it was more about problems than the buying experience. You may want to talk about the problems over in the Mazda MPV Owners: Problems & Solutions discussion too.

Luck!

Steve, Host
    Does anyone have any information on a good price for the extended warranty? Purchased my 04 MPV LX on July 1st. I was quoted a price of $1,200 for 7 year/100k mile extended warranty...wanted to think about it. I have not seen any info on warranty posted here. Thanks.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • wxdude10wxdude10 Member Posts: 2
    My wife picked up our new 2004 MPV LX in
    Titanium Gray w/ LX +, 4 Seasons/Towing and Power
    Doors. Purchased from IRA Mazda in Danvers, MA.
    This is our second (and last) car we will purchase
    from them. Our first car from them was a 2000
    Protege LX. It was painless the first time and
    that was why we went back to them.

MSRP: $25915
    Paid: $18954 after $3500 rebate

IRA had this car advertised on their website with a
    Dealer Invoice of $18954. Other cars with LESS
    equipment had higher prices. The haggled with us
    for over 2 hours one night because they wouldn't
    give us what we wanted for our trade-in.
    After calling all of the other Mazda Dealers in
    Boston and Southern NH area, we paid cash for the
    car at IRA. We'd have to pay at least $1500 more
    from any other dealer for the same car.

We are happy with our new MPV so far, but we will
    stay away from IRA Mazda.
    Did you wind up trading in your car with them then?

Steve, Host
  • rampage80rampage80 Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone, Rampage80 here (Steve M, Mpls, MN).

I'm a newby to this board but not to Mazda's. I do owe you all a big "thank you" for the incredible wealth of information and tips I absorbed here weeks before deciding to purchase a new MPV on July 21. I also love the care and maintenance forums!

Located the model I wanted on the Mazda corporate web site after the local dealer inventory appeared based on my zip code, and also made some preliminary e-mail's and received several quotes from local dealers. Only one local dealer had a razor blue without the power sliding doors, which I did not want.

Purchased a 2004 Razor Blue right off the lot (was not a loss leader or special) with LX Plus, 4 seasons, Auto-dim mirror, Roof rack, Spoiler, rear step guard and cargo organizer for $19,000 even before tax and license ($3,500 rebate). MSRP was $25,988.

Decided to sell much loved and "still running smoothly" 1990 Maroon Mazda Protege myself locally instead of trading.

Dealt with Luther Brookdale Mazda here in Mpls and had a decent experience there (dare I say pleasant, for a dealer)! New car sales manager was new there and said he was committed to making his dealership the best in town (first day possibly) and turned out we graduated from same college, NDSU out of Fargo, N.D. After dealing with a young but pleasant sales guy there, when it came time to haggle, in to the manager's office I went and got the proverbial "what's it gonna take to get you to buy this vehicle TODAY"!

I gave him my bottom price and demanded the spoiler, rear step guard and cargo organizer, and after threatening to walk several times, he finally agreed. The tips and "things to watch for" learned here beforehand were invaluable, by the way.

I did buy the extended warranty (this dealership is huge in this town with multiple makes) but am having second thoughts after reading all the horror stories in the "extended warranty" forum, although these guys use a company called "Protective" in all their local dealerships, and evidently this company has a pretty solid reputation from what I've learned.

That's my story, only 50 miles on the MPV so far. Does have a squeak when I close the front driver's or passenger door, but I'll get that taken care of when I go back in for the spoiler, etc.

- Steve M.
    Congrats on your new buy rampage. I also bought a new(9 miles) Mazda MPV LX (in Cosmic Sand) with a $26,000 MSRP. With "only" the $3,ooo in rebate as of July 1st... I got a pretty good deal at $20,600.Edmunds TMV for the LX I bought is currently $20,900(even with the additional $500 in rebate)So, I'm wondering how you got $1,000 more off that(the extra $500 in rebate included)? That's practically giving the car away.Good for you! I had an earlier post about the extended warranty as well. Would you be willing to discuss how much your extended warranty went for? Thanks.
    Hi Jipster!

Congrats on your new MPV LX as well! I really liked the cosmic sand color too (also the metallic sage green), ultimately went with the blue as they seemed to be disappearing the quickest off the lot and wife liked the color. Frankly I liked all the colors offered this year other than white or black (too hard to keep clean). Sounds like you got a good deal too!

To be honest, I didn't pay that much attention to the rebates - more to the price the other local dealers were advertising, which was $6000 off retail for 2004 MPV LX as of July 7 (which including Mazda rebates of various flavors). So I knew I could get one for $20k with the options I wanted without haggling; the trick was figuring out how low below 20k I thought the dealer would go without tossing me out of his office! One thing is for sure - THEY DO NOT WANT YOU TO VISIT ANOTHER DEALER (I threatened to several times and I was just being honest)! I was seriously there only for a test drive and intended to visit at least one other local dealer, but in the back of my mind knew if I could get my price I was ready to sign on the dotted line since my wife liked the blue and it had the options I wanted. I had seen a low price on this forum for a 2003 model for about 18,500, so I figured with the options already on the car, if I could get the spoiler, organizer and a few other small extras in addition, I'd ask for 19 even, and call the deal done. Dealer came down from 19,750 to 19,500 to 19,250 and then finally agreed to 19 with the extra options - he did mention he had a $250 rebate to use which he simply added to our down payment.

As regards extended warranty, they did not pressure me at all, but I was scarred by having to replace a tranny in my Protege ($1,800 about 5 years ago), so decided to opt for it (figuring I could always back out). I simply added it the remainder of the balance and financed it - $1,100 to go from factory 4 yr/50,000 to 7 year/75,000 (we average only 7,500 miles a year so mileage wasn't a big issue). I tend to be of the "drive 'em till they drop" school instead of the "trade every 4 years" (or I would have never purchased the extended warranty), so seemed to make sense at the time. I do kind of wish I had explored in more detail the Mazda factory extended plan, but I did hear that wasn't as good a deal - I think 6/60,000 or something like that.

Good luck with your new MPV Jipster!

Rampage
  • wxdude10wxdude10 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Steve,

No. My father-in-law bought it from us for the amount we
    wanted for trade-in. This way he gets a good car and we get our
    van for the price we wanted.

-Mike
    Excellent!

Dealers make way more money on their used car division so you managed to avoid that whole scene (after the two hours of haggling anyway <g>).

Enjoy the ride,

Steve, Host
    Thanks for the info Rampage. My wife and I also considered the Razor Blue and Nordic Green...which are also pretty sharp.Craig & Landreth Mazda had a good selection(10). They were advertising the LX here in Louisville,Ky for about $5,000 off sticker.
    I hadn't intended to buy as well. So,when my wife said she really liked the car, I had the invoice numbers and everything with me. We negotiated till the sales manager started to turn green.So,using that as a guide we decided to buy.We plan on keeping this car for at least 7 or 8 years. We really enjoy the distinctive looks of the MPV and the way it drives and handles. Had almost gone with the Toyota Sienna(am glad now we didn't) for $6,000 more, but dealer experience left us cold.Will be taking a trip to the Smokey Mountains in a month or so...will get back and let everyone know how the MPV did.
    Sounds good Jipster!

The dealer I was at was pretty large - they must have had 25 MPV's sitting on the lot - I was a bit overwhelmed at first, but was also pretty familiar with their inventory from looking at their web site inventory page. I'd say they had 3 blues, 3 greens, about 10 grays and silver metallic, 4 cosmic sand, maybe 2 white and 2 black.

Sales guy told me that Mazda makes smaller numbers of vehicles when trying out a "new" color like razor blue, since they're not sure if the color will be a "hit" or not with the car buying public. They order more of the tried and true colors.

Also told me the engine is made in a Ford plant here in the USA (basically a Ford Duratec V6 also used in Escape I believe) under tighter Mazda spec, then shipped to Hiroshima and installed in Japan, where the body is made, then vehicle shipped to US dealers. I read somewhere that the 5 speed auto transmission is made by Jaguar (thus me buying the extended warranty)!

Looking forward to your trip report!

Rampage
  • brianbbrianb Member Posts: 13
    From John Kennedy Mazda Phil, PA
    Is this a good deal.
    2004 MPV LX
    Roof Rack
    4 Seasons Package
    Side Airbags
    LX Plus
    Power Doors
    $20,600 plus tax and tags.....
    Could a Toyota or Honda compete with the price?
    You would be paying roughly what I paid for my LX on July 1st brian b.(taking into consideration the $500 more in rebate you are getting).You are pretty close to dealer invoice. So, yeah..that is a pretty good price. I have seen others post for around $1,000 lower. I guess it would depend on dealer stock,demand in your area, how bad they are wanting to get rid of them.Toyotas can't compete with that price...probably about $4k-5k more.You could get a Honda Odyssey LX for at least invoice, which would be around $22,600 with no added options(though they come fairly well loaded).
  • bluesky3bluesky3 Member Posts: 9
    Choices:

I was offered $20k for an LX (+4 seasons, roof rack, etc.) Based on my reading here, I think I can probably push it a bit lower, but I wanted to look at the Ody or Sienna first. This was our first test drive in the minivan market.

At the dealer they also had a "manager's demo" ES with pretty well everything (leather, power doors, Traction control, etc) with about 5k miles on it. My wife really like the leather and the color (metallic gray?)

I'm thinking setting my ceiling price at $20k. Is this a fair offer? Or should I push for lower. Edmunds peg this car at $25k. (I guess before the rebate.)
    If you're setting your ceiling price at $20k...then you can forget about a new Ody or Sienna. For the MPV...You could probably get the new LX for $19k or the ES for $21k. 20k may be reaching a bit for an ES(even though it has 5k miles on it) But,I would get the best possible deal for the ES. Makes wifey happy,saves you big $...and you get a great minivan with a 4 year warranty. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
  • mtbiker1mtbiker1 Member Posts: 17
    We dealt with the Lee Johnson Chev-Mazda (Kirkland WA) fleet/internet sales guy; very pleasant, no BS. They looked around, gave me a couple quotes a bit higher (with a bit more equipment). I stated my target of $20K out the door and this is what they came back with. It was $12 lower than their initial offer, due to their having to estimate based on Washington's quirky tax/title regs. The base LX has alloy wheels, everything manual that I wanted(sliding doors, seat adjustment), no roof rack, which I didn't want, and pleasant surprise, clear glass (a plus here in cloudy Seattle). I splurged and got a $30 cargo net when we picked up the car. What I see: a very improved version of the '93 Merc Villager that was our best car ownership experience ever, for the same price 11 years later. 190 miles on the clock; we'll see how it goes!
This discussion has been closed.