Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sorento Prices Paid and Buying Experience

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
Have you recently purchased or do you plan on purchasing a Sorento? What did you pay? How did you negotiate?

Comments

• lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    I bought mine (gold beige) back in December. I paid $26100 for an EX with 4WD, T.O.D., ABS, luxury package, self-levelizer, rear spoiler, cargo tray and mudguards. I first sent email to the sales manager. He quoted $257?? for the one without self-levelizer. But he only had this one (fully loaded) in the lot at that time. So he just added the dealer cost of this option to the car price. I think I got $1200 off the MSRP and it was in December, before any factory incentives occurred. I am sure the price is coming down very much now.

I didn't negotiate much. I spent most of the time on dealer price quote via internet. That was the lowest price that I found.
  • carinccarinc Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased my Aqua/Pewter on Monday 7/28. Let me preface this by saying that I live in a rural area about 180 miles in two directions from large cities (250,000+) and the dealerships here are notorious for gouging. I knew I was getting a Sorento so I went down to the local Kia lot and found the one I wanted. Sure enough they wanted $27,500 for an EX 2WD w/ ABS, Lux pkg, spoiler & cargo tray. I sat in their office and called dealerships in Phoenix & San Diego explained the situation and got a quote almost instantly for $23,500. Local Kia decided they'd rather sell one to me so they dropped the price and I picked it up for $22,600. I opted for the $1000 rebate and financed it through a local credit union.
  • drhalodrhalo Member Posts: 2
    I paid $23750 for a demo EX with 4WD, T.O.D., ABS, luxury package, rear spoiler, towing package and cargo tray. I went to two other dealerships first and was quoted $24500 and $24300 on new EX with 4WD leather without luxury package. My wife loved the luxury package for less money so we bought the “demo” (it was actually driven by a Kia district rep).

The buying experience was your typical high volume dealer affair. They were VERY friendly (but aren’t they always) but in your heart you know that they are constantly maneuvering to stick it to you every chance they get. After three trips to the sales manger we settle on the price of $23750. At this point you’re tired and feel relived that the buying game is over. But it’s not over, you’ve just come to the half-time show (the time you spend be entertained by the sales staff while you wait to enter the lions den, aka the finance manager). The selling of a car is sometimes referred to as the “front end” of the deal and the financing of the vehicle is known as the “back end” of the deal. There are many times when a dealership makes a lot more money on the “back end” of the deal. So watch your rear when you enter the finance zone of a dealership. The negotiation of what you’re really going to be paying for the ride isn’t over until you’re out of finance. Our finance person was the exact opposite of our salesman. He was calm, soft-spoken and very smooth (it was almost like being hypnotized) as he presented the extended warranty sale as if it was a part of the original deal. He also pulled the old “hide the exorbitantly high APR while only showing the monthly payment routine”. His initial quote was 6.9% over 60 months with the hidden extended warranty to boot. As soon as I mentioned we could get 4.75% from local a community credit union, he dropped his rate to 4.5%. Can you imagine how much the dealership would have made pocketing the difference between what the bank charges them and the 6.9% they were going to charge us? A LOT OF PROFIT.

So in the end I would say my Kia buy experience was no different than any other vehicle I’ve ever bought, it’s buyer beware. Negotiating for a new auto can be fun if you do your homework, shop multiple dealers, stay on your toes for the whole game, be patience and keep a good attitude.

Maybe next time I can talk about the condition known as BRS buyers remorse syndrome, as I always get a bad case after every purchase.
  • dbgindydbgindy Member Posts: 351
    In April I bought my Green/Beige Sorento with Lux. pkg.,ABS & spoiler. I paid just under 25,000 for it before tax, fee etc.
    I negoatited over internet and followed up with one phone call. I visited the dealership and did the deal in one day. It was great.
    One of the best parts is I did a lot of research at Edmunds and several of the folks who post in the Sorento forum (such as lok888:-) pushed me off the fence to buy with their comments about the Sorento.
  • benjamin_ngbenjamin_ng Member Posts: 12
    Hi All,

Just bought my Sorento LX yesterday from a local Kia dealer. A friend of mine bought my camry (has 105K on it) and I did not have too much time to shop.

It was used with 5300 miles on it and never registerd with DMV. The General Manager of the dealership said his boss drove the car for a while and he is selling to me as a NEW car and that warranty would start yesterday (date wise) and last till 100K powertrain. After $1000 rebate and all I paid roughly $16900 + tax and license for the car. It is going to be a commute car so I did not go for the Leather and all although I really wanted it. Oh, I did pay $950 extra for extended warranty 10 yr/100K bumper to bumper and alarm system. This alarm system will let me remotely unlock the car over the phone in case I locked myself out.

I think it is a ok deal as I did not have much time to look. I do plan on driving the car to more than 100K miles if it lets me.

Oh, one question though. The Sorento did not have ABS, is this an option I can add. The dealer said no but I find it really odd. Is this true ?

Thanks a lot.
    Benjamin
    benjamin_ng - ABS is factory installed option. It costs $510 more (MSRP) on a Sorento with ABS. I don't think you can add it now. Good luck and have fun!
  • hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    Good luck on your Sorento and happy motoring. I do have a question for you though. I have been looking for a alarm system for ours and my dealer does not offer one. I have been to the usual stores like Circuit City and Best Buy but they have none for the Sorento because of the key fob we have. Ours has the rear tailgate window release and they cannot match it or program theirs to match. I can get one but I would have to have two fobs one for the Sorento and one for the alarm. What brand name is your alarm. Maybe Ican find a dealer that installe them around here (Connecticut. Thanks and again good luck.
    The people at a local car alarm place told they can install an alarm system with remote starter on 2003 Sorento. It is made by Python. And I still haven't installed one yet. I probably will get one before this winter comes. He said it has four buttons on the remote for LOCK & UNLOCK (same button, also works as PANIC if hold for more than two seconds), REAR GLASS, REMOTE STARTER and possible one more auxiliary like power windows (extra parts needed).
  • ivan4741ivan4741 Member Posts: 24
    I bought a 4WD/AWD EX Alum wheels cloth Inter. Traded in a 89 Nissan Maxima se and paid $18839 in cash. Drove it home free and clear.
  • benjamin_ngbenjamin_ng Member Posts: 12
    Hi Hugo,

Sorry for the late, late reply. I got the alarm from a company called ADS ( Advance dealer service ) or something like that. It is very similar to one found here www.satronics.com but my model is WL504. It can do the standard function like arm/disarm and gate (the glass portion) release. It also let you arm and disarm using a touch tone phone.

I think it is basically a pager. You key in your code and command from the phone and the system send the command to your car for the desired action. I tried it and it works. There is a 2 minute delay or so after you key in the command.

Oh. Since I don't have the factory FOB so there isn't much issue for me.

Let me know if there is any question.

Benjamin
  • ansehdansehd Member Posts: 7
    5 days ago, i stopped by the Kia dealershop saying full-featured sorento is about $28,540 unresonablly. Before i checked the RMV on this site, I consider at leat to pay 27,000. But Thanks to you guys' advice, i am pretty sure i can get a better deal.

The option i would like to have with the sorento(4WD EX) are luxuary package and ABS. How much is gona be a good deal at least? Can i pay under 25,000 to own it with 1000 rebate?
    ansehd - The Edmunds' TMV for this EX 4WD with luxury package and ABS is $25864 in my area after the $1000 cash rebate. This is the price is without any dealer discount and it is close to your price. I don't know why the invoice price information is not available on Edmunds. I can't see how much it cost these days. I bought mine in December. I think it probably costs $24K these days with those equipments. Someone mentioned the 2WD with the similar options in $23K price range.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't know why we don't have the Sorento invoice pricing up. Maybe the data people are getting ready to flop the '04 info up.

Steve, Host
  • suvconvertsuvconvert Member Posts: 1
    My wife spent 2 years looking for an SUV that fit our price range and needs - we purchased a Kia Sorento EX . I'm not fond of SUV's but I'm very impressed with the fit, finish, and standard equipment of the Kia EX.

We paid $33,655.00 CAD for our EX. That price includes a 7% federal sales tax called the GST - goods and service or gouge and screw tax. The dealer/bank financing was 60 months with an interest rate of 3.9%.

This was the best vehicle purchase experience I have had. The deal was "wrapped up" in 3 hours which included a trade-in of worn out 1998 Ford Windstar.
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    if anyone has bought a Sorento EX 2wd with just the Luxury package and abs package in Florida, if so what did you pay???
  • neilkavsneilkavs Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested in buying a Sorrento and was wondering if folks out there have purchased 2003 models and what they paid compared to the 2004 models. Also, how does one go about finding demo models with a few thousand miles and what would that cost. I need a 4wd and prefer leather. Any other tips, info on additional features that are "must haves" would be appreciated.
    It would be difficult or impossible to get a new '03 or '04 Sorento with 4WD and leather (only on EX model). I did a research from Kelley Blue Book few weeks ago. The value of my '03 Sorento (10K miles) EX, 4WD with luxury package is $18.9K (trade in), $21.7K (private sale) and $24.3K (retail). I paid $26K for the car back in December with no rebate or incentive. For a used Sorento for under $20K, probably has more miles on it. Maybe you are talking about an '04 LX (4WD?) with no leather for your target price after dealer discount and factory cash back. I do see few posts that LX (2WD?) for $16K and EX (4WD?)for $23K.
  • elmo51elmo51 Member Posts: 2
    I'm moving from Phoenix Arizona to Berthoud Colorado and am planning on purchasing a new Sorento EX by the end of the month. Anyone have a dealership in the Denver-Longmont-Loveland-Ft. Collins area they'd recommend or avoid? Am interested in the concept of buying through the internet and just picking it up locally but I do wonder how payment is made in a situation like that.....Thanks everyone!
  • ivygrnsorentoivygrnsorento Member Posts: 119
    ...Well, congratulations on your choice to purchase a Kia Sorento. You will be very happy I'm sure.

I live in Longmont Colorado...and I can give some advice here. DO NOT, and I mean DO NOT...consider using Kia Cowboy Corral in Longmont. I purchased my Sorento from these jokers...and though they gave me a smoking deal, everything from that point on has been an absolute nightmare! There service department is a joke! So I would not recommend these guys in anyway. Trust me.

I did not get much help in the whealing and dealing part of negotiating with the Tynan's Nissan and Kia in Ft. Colliins. Nice guys, but they really don't want to sell you a car unless your an idiot and aren't very educated in the true costs...etc.

I have been using Grand Kia in Westminster. Its a ways from where your moving, but they have been great with me. They have treated me very well and their service department is fantastic. Now...I don't know about buying there. So thats up for debate. But I'm sure they will work with you. Just come with your guns loaded...so to speak.

Anyway...I hope that helps. If you have any other questions, just address them to me here.

Good luck.
    Mark
  • elmo51elmo51 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Mark and thanks for you observations. If I may ask, what model did you get, what options and what did you pay? Did you have much choice in color etc? The Kia dealers here (Phoenix) seem to have a pretty good choice of vehicles on their lots, but we don't buy a lot of AWD with the intent of using it anyway. Thanks again for your help. Lynne
    I purchased an EX 4x4 last November. The only extra option I purchased was ABS at a cost of $550. My Sorento is an Ivy Green with Stone Cladding. At the time of my purchase, there were many choices for colors. Which was a little strange considering how many posts I had read in this and other forums about the limited color availibility. The price I paid for my sorento was $23,500, and that included destination charges, but not the taxes.

Hope this helps.
  • sleongsleong Member Posts: 15
    Here's a link showing both the MSRP (retail) price and the dealers INVOICE. Hope this helps in your buying process!!! http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/d/kia04sorento/model_overview.html- ?refsrc=msn
  • 03lxv603lxv6 Member Posts: 130
    I read from somewhere (cars.com?) Kia plans to sell 50,000 Sorentos in the first year. What is the actual sale number?

From yahoo, the number certainly does not look good: 8451

Anybody bought a sorento in the Silicon Valley bay area? Do not see much around town. Actually only saw 2 thus far.
    http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030903/law088_1.html

I'm not sure where you got your information. But from last November (2002) to this September (2003, Kia has sold over 31,000 Sorentos in the USA.

Check link above to see current sales figures based on the 1st of 2003 thru September 2003.
  • 03lxv603lxv6 Member Posts: 130
    Thanks for the info. I was able to find out their number up to october is about 34000.

How do you like your sorento? Is it major-problem free?
  • danb14danb14 Member Posts: 1
    Has any one purchased a 2003 Sorento in the Syracuse area (within 100 miles)in the last 1-3 months? Need to know what to expect to pay. Also, are you satisfied with purchase? What dealership did you find had the best service/honesty?
  • msvcmsvc Member Posts: 1
    I purchased an Aqua 2003 LX 4WD with Alloy wheels, mats and roof rack for $22,000.00 after Tax (7%) and recording fees (~$60) at a dealership in Columbus, OH. I used Edmunds TMV price and pitted dealerships within 100 miles of each other (6) to get my price over the phone. I am pleased with my purchase and am satisfied with the experience. I spent a lot of time reading comments from this web site and came over to the KIA side.
    Hope you enjoy your purchase as much as most of the rest of us have.

Duncan
    Hey all, just found out from Kia internet manager that Kia is offering a $1,000 cash back from any retail stock Sorento's. The internet mgr quoted me $26,640 out the door for a 2004 EX 4x2 with ABS $595, Leather Pkg $900, Step Bars $345, Spoiler $200, Cargo Tray $75 & Destination charge $640.

I called my local sales guy I had been dealing with (I previously offered $26K out the door for the same package as above), informed him about the new cash back rebate, sent him the Excel spread sheet I created and the following URL's below and told him to make me a deal. Needless to say my sales guy came back with an out the door price of $26,273. Not only did he beat out the internet price by $367, but he included the Luxury Pkg valued at $1500 rather than the $900 Leather Pkg I originally wanted. Bottom line, I came out $967 ahead of the internet deal.

When determining what to offer, keep in mind that at dealer invoice, the dealer is still making approximately $600 in hold-back from the manufacturer plus some profit from any options not to mention any other manufacturer incentives (SPIFFS) for total monthly sales. If you do your home work, you can save yourself a fair amount of money. Helpful tools would be the links below and the spread sheet I created. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at the address listed in my profile.

If you would like a copy of the Excel Spread Sheet to help determine the price to pay for your 2004 Sorento do the following steps.

1. Click on the following URL.

http://www.yahoo.com

2. Under Organize, Select; Briefcase

3. Log-in: Yahoo ID = soreneto_friends
                 Yahoo PW = townhall

4. Select the Sorento folder

5. Copy the Excel file.

By the way, if you're interested in last years 2003 Sorento's, they have a $2000 cash back. My dealer has basic 4x2 LX models with roof rack & alloys for $19,995 out the door.

Below are the links I previously mentioned:

MSRP & DEALER INVOICE

http://www.autobytel.com/content/research/detail/Kia/Kia-Sorento.

2004 SORENTO CASH BACK

http://kia.com/clearance/index.php
  • bajapattybajapatty Member Posts: 2
    Well not really, but I did get a good deal on a "pre-owned" EX with most all the goodies-I think the only thing mine is lacking is heated seats, 4WD though I do have that snow button thing-not that I expect to see any snow here in So Cal or really need a warm seat for that matter. I wasn't too keen on the color black-pretty but so hard to keep clean looking

This car was sold to me by a Kia Exec for $17,900 and had 18,000 miles. This is my third Kia-my first was a 95 Sportage that left this life in a driving rainstorm on the Hollywood Freeway. That one had 104,000 miles-had spent a couple years in Mexico and at it's demise still had the original clutch, battery and not an oil leak. I still miss it. Then a 2000 Sportage-a little fancier by then with the rack and spare tire on the back and a flashy red. This one was just as solid but has had some weird problems-like a catalytic converter just replaced at 52,000 miles(in warranty) and some other emission things.

I am sold on my dealer-I have the best service ever and just can't conceive of starting over with another dealer-though my family thinks I am nuts and has tried, without any success to at least look at the Hondas or Toyotas. Nah!!!

Though I must say-the review numbers have plunged from a 9+ to mid 7s since I bought my Sorento a month or so ago-as I may not have been so eager to take on another "first year" model. So far - so good. This feels and drives like a real car-a whole lot "meatier" then the Sportage. I am a thoroughly happy Kia driver.
    Congrats! I'm that glad you enjoy your Sorento. I just curious how much do you cost for a brand new '03 or '04 EX 2WD in your area, after a $1000 Kia owner loyalty bonus. I think the ratings is still 9+ for '03 model. But it is only 7.1 for '04 model.
  • bajapattybajapatty Member Posts: 2
    Here in So Cal it seems to be very competitive-the only time I paid any attention to prices was after I found my bargain Sorento and then I saw about 3 "leader" ads for the 2003 LX, kinda plain for around $19,000 to $19,900. Nothing was said about the loyalty $1K. Don't know much about the 2004 except I see sticker prices up to $27K for one fully loaded, 4 WD, leather, sunroof pretty much the works.
  • qbert1qbert1 Member Posts: 4
    Just got my Sorento. It is a 2003 LX 2x4 with 16k miles. According to the dealer, it was a Kia corporate vehicle. The interior and exterior are still perfect. They had it listed at $20,050. I had pre-financing and told them the most I could pay was $16,500. Well, it seems like they wanted to move their inventory, so I got it at $16,500!!! By the way, I bought it on a rainy day - I think we were one of the few customers that day. I feel like I got a good deal, what do you guys think?
  • dsm24dsm24 Member Posts: 1
    This will be my first purchase on my own. My parents own a 2001 Sportage & 2003 Sorento. How do I go about making the best deal out there? I want to do better than my parents!What info should I give out early as far as what I'm willing to pay, my trade in, how much I'm willing to put down. Should I go into a couple of dealerships and discuss what internet dealers are offering? If you can give me genuine info and have the time to help me out please email me at dsmeadows@msn.com thanks so much
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Edmunds is a community where we share info; we aren't here to act as an email clearinghouse. Plus posting your email is a good way to attract spam.

Here's a good place to start your car buying saga:

Buying Tips. Check out the Confessions link there too - it's a real eye-opener.

Steve, Host
  • mac9902mac9902 Member Posts: 4
    Hi all,

I've been negotiating with a few dealers in the Sacramento area for a 04 EX 4WD with luxury package, ABS, and spoiler. So far the lowest quote I have is $25,515 after rebate.

How does that sound?
    Well I went aheah and pulled the trigger on the 04 Sorento EX 4WD with luxury package, ABS, and spoiler for just over $25,500. Approximately $1,229 under Edmund's TMV.

I actually had Cars Direct searching for one for me, but they couldn't find one in a color I like. My price was $1,000 under theirs.

I think I got a pretty good deal. I was trying to get the price down to $25,100, but the dealers started dropping like flies at that price.
  • sonnyrockersonnyrocker Member Posts: 127
    That is a good price for a 4X EX. You will enjoy your new Sorento :)
    So, you purchased your car online?
    I would never buy a car until I have driven it myself. That's just me. I play guitar too, and I will never buy a guitar on ebay or online. I have to play one, like it, before I buy it.
    Hey Steve - I'm interested in the details of the deal you got in Sac. If you email me at the address in my profile I'd like to chat with you more in depth. Thanks Steve SF Bay Area
    I placed an order through Cars Direct for a EX 4WD with luxury package and ABS. The good thing about Cars Direct is that they lock in a price. They then search for the car in your area from dealers they work with, so it isn't like you buy the car sight unseen. You actually have to go to the dealership to get the car.

I ended up negotiating a better price myself using information from Cars Direct, Edmunds, and several other car buying websites. One web site in particular has some fantastic information, but I don't want to advertise the web page. If anyone is interested they can email me.

sleong - it doesn't look like your email address is public in your profile.
    Steve, my email address should be public now - you don't show an email address either.
    I also bought mine via internet. I actually send email to several local dealers. I told them what I want and waited for the responds. Then I compared the numbers with the pricing info (invoice & MSRP) from Edmunds. I had a deal when we both agreed the price and fees. I have been using this method when shopping for my '03 Camry and '04 Sienna. I paid no service fee to nobody.

sonnyrocker - I agree with you. But there is nothing to lose with this approach. You don't order or sign for anything unless you see it. This actually saved me a lot of time if travel to different dealers and negoiate. And it is interesting to see how much you can beat the dealer. Of course, they are always the winners.
  • rukrayz2rukrayz2 Member Posts: 1
    I live in Augusta, GA and found a 2003 Gold Sorento LX 4X4 in Jersey City, New Jersey with floor mats, luggage rack, stripes, automatic, alloy wheels, and 3200 miles on it .... for 16,900 !!!!!! Needless to say I used my VISA to hold the car and flew up 2 days later to close the deal, and drove it back home. I found it on the internet at Hudson Toyota in Jersey City, NJ. I'm the second owner I love everything about the car except gas mileage. I've had dome folks who own Acura's and Lexus's SUV's do a double-take. I think KIA should sell an EX without the plastic cladding. They look classier... well at least my gold does. Great Car !!!
  • gchuagchua Member Posts: 14
    5 speed, Sport package, plus mats, cargo tray and tow hitch for 19,600. List was $23k plus. With the owner loyalty rebate, you can take another $1k off.

Off topic - outrageous deal is on the Optima. They have it for something like $10k (about $7k off)!

This is at Quirk Kia in MA. They are the largest dealer in the country so get "extra" incentives.
  • valvalvalval Member Posts: 6
    We bought the ice blue/gray, ABS, lux. package, first aid kit, spoiler, cargo mat and side step bars for $24,330, sticker was $26,775. We gave up the additional $1000. rebate to get 60 months 0% financing. Gap insurance for the life of the loan was an additional $495. I'm confused on the gap insurance though as it only covers amount financed, not the $5000. down payment, so I'll have to call them about that tomorrow.
    We bought at Gettel Kia in Sarasota, Florida. The salesman, sales manager and business manager could not have been any better - it was worth the 1.5 hour drive!
    Val
  • soccermom3soccermom3 Member Posts: 6
    I bought my 2004 EX 4x2 last weekend for $3500.00 under invoice. I was at a delaership that wanted to offer me much more for an LX than what I bought my EX for!!! Avondale Kia is the place to go, I used their internet / fleet department, called him up, told him what I had been quoted before, he laughed and said, " how is $3500.00 below invoive?" Needless to say I told the other dealer where they could go....and drove the extra 45 minutes to Avondale. The Internet manager told me that they have people fly in from all over the place to buy these cars.....check them out you won't be sorry!!!!
  • tcsheltcshel Member Posts: 1
    I live in a smallish sized town and have poor credit. I wasn't able to get approval for a car loan through any local banks or credit unions but Kia has approved me for a Sorento. Since I have to go through them for financing, do I have any bargaining power left in buying my Kia or do they have me by the you know what?
  • hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    Of course you have bargaining power. Make a good deal with dealer then go for the loan.
  • 3rdowner3rdowner Member Posts: 1
    I am in Denver. I bought an 04 EX auto 4x4 with ABS, running boards, front wind deflector, rear cargo mat for $21,600. The only additional $ was for tax and license fees. Two other dealers would not talk turkey. My price reflected the $1500 regular rebate, plus the $1000 rebate 'cause I owned a competitive SUV. After a week's worth of double checking the numbers, I feel I got a great price. PS, so far the vehicle is fantastic. Suberb workmanship. Tho not broken in yet, I am getting 16-17 mpg in town and 22 on the road.
    Sounds like you got a good deal. Congats & enjoy.

Duncan