Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda RX-8 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    Sorry, we didn't attack you just wanted to STOP you from overpaying :-)

How about this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=84160&item=4556843770

Silver auto w/GT and only 8k miles. The buy it now is just $22,900. That is enough savings to pay for a plane ticket or car transport - and only has 8k on the clock.

I went to

http://www.autotrader.com

and did a search for 2004 or 2005 RX-8 with AUTO within any distance of me with a price from $1 to $25,000 and miles under 30k and found 113 cars. Surely one of those would suit you? BTW, I filtered it down further to black cars and it shows 14 black. I know one of the has GT since the pictures have the black/brown interior ($24,589 asking price with 13k on it).

Dennis
  • lhesslhess Member Posts: 379
    just so many used ones out there and new ones on the lot that paying too much just isn't an option right now!! Even if you look at used ones (nothing wrong with that), I'd go less than 10K miles (and hopefully better than that), remember that the leftover 04's have $4K off sticker automatically and probably another $2K or $3K (at least) just to move them. You'll need to pay considerably less than those numbers on a used one to get "a good deal." So, if you find a used car that would have stickered for $30K, you're looking at about $7K off that price ($23K) if that car were a leftover 04 on a lot. Therefore, I would pay no more than $19K, $20K to allow for the mileage.
    on e-bay is a nice car. The listing says they lease too. It was a $30,300 car, low miles, buy it now for 22,900 or, I'd make them an offer of about 21,500. the worst that can happen is they say NO. If you are serious, I wouldn't wait too long.
    I would use the Mazda dealer locator and get on the phone and call around looking for a new 04 as well as look for used ones.

Invoice on a new 04 automatic with just GT (if you find one) is $27,751. There is $503 in hold back on the car and Mazda gave the dealers $4,000 as a final buy down to sell the left over 04s.

So $27,751 - $4,000 = $23,751 and if you get the hold back too $23,248. This would be for a new car with full warranty. So I would call around and see if you can find an AT car still on a lot some place. That is less that you are looking at for a used car IF you find the right one. I would not want to pay more than invoice - $4k for the left over and would prefer to get into the hold back as well. These are going to be 2yr old cars in a couple of months and they need to move them.

Dennis
    in South Charleston, WV. They are 6 spds, Grand Touring with leather, bose...., they have the spare tire, and navigation. No rotary accents or spoilers. Not demos, less than 50 miles on them, MSRP of $33,595, selling for $26,200. www.lesterraines.com is the web site for phone numbers and hours.
  • yandrsyandrs Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the post. This is their main site and I can't seem to get to their Mazda inventory. Which site did you find this pricing on?
    I appretiate the post from Ihess as it runs right into my question. I'm looking at '05, 6-speed, GT. Would LOVE the Shinka (great color), but could live without it. The sales guy left a message to see where I am after 2 test drives and mentioned "end of month". I know Edmunds provides TMV, but what's a realistic end of month, summer price? Given Ihess post on '04, are we at invoice yet on '05? Under? I'm not pulling the trigger until I can buy under.
    $100-500 under invoice seems to be the norm. Supposed to be $1,000 rebate for MAC financing available and $2,000 in MAC lease help as well. Some dealers seem to have "Specials" advertised that seem to be well below these prices - but there is no KNOWN additional dealer money.

Dennis
  • baptistandybaptistandy Member Posts: 10
    Joe Myers Mazda in houston is offering 4000 off all remaining 05 rx-8s. I found an ad in the newspaper today. They have a wide range still left in their inventory online. I'm going to investigate on monday. I don't think it's a rebate offered by mazda, but maybe i'm wrong. Fingers crossed that the truly rebated 05's are startin to pop up. That'll make me a happy man
    The first $2k of that is the difference between invoice and MSRP - the other could just be the known rebates. That said, I have seen prices that made no sense - folks getting cars with cash or credit union loans that were "too low" to be true - but they got the deal anyway.

Some tricky dealers will advertise prices like these and in the fine print it will say "uses all available rebates, buyer must qualify" or words like that. So they will include recent grad rebates, loyalty rebates, captive finance rebates, etc. Some of these are rebates that 99% of the customer will not qualify for.

Let us know what you find out!

Dennis
    with their web site as far as inventory. I can't post a phone number for them here, so the "almost" web site is the only way I know to get info to folks looking for these 04's. I know about the inventory because I took my 8 in on Friday for an oil change, checked on the remaining 04's...that's the scoop.

My dealer said they really have nothing special going on to move the 05's (other than the lease incentives Dennis mentioned), but, of course, this dealer is interested in moving the remaining 04's as opposed to the 05 inventory right now!!
    Thanks for the clarification! The hunt for sub-invoice pricing on '05's continues.............
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    ...Supposed to be $1,000 rebate for MAC financing available and $2,000 in MAC lease help as well.

In the northeast region there is NO incentive for financing. The only incentive on the 2005 RX-8 is for lease or AVP only.
  • baptistandybaptistandy Member Posts: 10
    So is a 2005, White, GT ,automatic, black leather, 6 disc, spare tire, 12k miles for $23,000 a good deal?
    I posted this elsewhere, but thought I would post it here too. Thanks to those who gave me leads to the various cars here or other places!

Forum rules say no contact info, so that has been removed.

I am getting a new 05, so I am no longer in the market for a new 04 so I thought I would share the ones I know about with others who may be looking. If your dealer has a new 04, you might do the same. Since Mazda removed the 04s from the inventory search it makes it a lot harder to find them.

These are the ones I know about and all are 6mt cars:

2004 sunlight silver GT w/appearance, changer, wind deflector, spoiler, accents, spare. Invoice should be around $30,461 including destination. Dealer offered it to me for invoice - $4,000 - 100% of hold back ($534) - doc fee (the doc fee is added back on). Should be around $25,925 if I did my math right. The car has about 500 miles on it and is in good shape. I test drove it and drove really nice. It is at Mike Creque Mazda in Franklin, TN. Ask for ____ _____ (Internet sales manager) (615) xxx-xxxx . As of this morning still available.

2004 red GT w/NAV. This dealer has 3 of them (last time I talked to them) all the same, just GT and NAV. Asking $26,200 + $50 doc fee. Invoice is around $30,255 so that price is right at invoice and they keep the $534 hold back. The dealer is Raines Mazda in Charleston, WV. (304) xxx-xxxx . I talked with ____ ____. All the cars are supposed to have "just a few" miles on them.

2004 red GT w/NAV. Loaded up with every option. MSRP of $35,819, offered at $29,716 (too high, I thought). Irwin Lincoln Mercury Mazda Freehold, NJ (732) xxx-xxxx

2004 gray touring w/NAV - MSRP of $33,609. Has the touring pack (cloth seats) and NAV I know - not sure about the other options. Offered to me for $26,095. I talked to ____ ____ at Kempthorn Motors Canton, Oh (800) xxx-xxxx .

2004 yellow GT w/NAV - MSRP of $35,499. Has about every option: NAV, appearance, changer, etc. Asking $28,500. ____ ____ (210) xxx-xxxx Northpark Mazda in San Antonio, TX.

Go get 'em!

Dennis
  • larryallen707larryallen707 Member Posts: 174
    I went to the Mazda dealer today and really like the Rx-8. Still considering the Infiniti G35 among others. The salespeople were not real clear but can anyone out there tell me the actual differences between a Shinka and a fully loaded standard Rx8? Also, they said they have not seen any Shinka's with Nav. Any help would be appreciated. Also, pricing. Should I be at or below invoice on a Shinka?
    The info on the Shinka should be here.

Bright finish wheels, black cherry paint (does nothing for me, and is even a standard color on a Miata!), GT pack but with parchment leather (nice), CD changer, Sirius sat radio (1yr sub included), piano-black interior trim, satin finish interior trim bits, and a couple of (minor?) suspension changes.

Some dealers are treating these as a "rare limited edition" and not dealing, others it is just another car and should be available around invoice.

To me, it is some stuff I would want and a lot that I don't (like the paint) for a price a lot higher than I can get for a GT.

NAV is not available in the Shinka for some reason. Any other color GT w/NAV is about the same price as a Shinka w/o NAV.

I love the looks of the G35 and the motor is very powerful. I don't think the interior is as nice as the 8 and to be honest the 8 looks better from the outside to me, but not by much. The G should get better gas mileage and have much higher resale value. The 8 combines sharp, tossible handling with livable daily driving comfort. The G is not as a nice handling car, but the extra power and torque make it "better" for most drivers. You should be able to get a MUCH better deal on an 8 than a G, but if you lease the high residual on the G may make it close ot the same to lease or even less (though your price is higher). The 8's rear seat is much more usable by real people.

Drive both (or all 3 counting the non-Shinka 8) and see which speaks to you. Try to find a used 8 and used G to drive so you can wind them up to redline to get a real feel for how it will be after your nw one is broken in.

For me the 8 is the one, despite all the "obvious" advantages of the G or Z over the 8. But I also sold a 'vette convertible and got an S2000, so I may just be not normal :-)

Dennis
  • larryallen707larryallen707 Member Posts: 174
    Thanks Dennis. That was very good info. Funny, but it was much better than anything I got today from guys actually selling those cars for a living! Went back to look at the G tonight and am leaning toward it. Just a bit nicer and at the moment I am thinking it's worth the money. THANK YOU!
    If you really don't need a backseat, then you can cross shop the 350z - but I think the G looks better (and hold value better too). Also, see if you can find a Mustang GT to test drive. About the same price, has the retro look (looks a lot my first car, a '67 Mustang) and big V-8 power. Is not going to handle like the 8, but will take off when you romp on the go pedal. About the same price too.

Dennis
  • mex8mex8 Member Posts: 3
    We love the Rx8, even though it has been tougher than my wife thought to learn a stick. My first car was a Mazda 1800 station wagon, so both the maker and I have come a long way. My only complaint is that the Nav desparately needs an update as many of the newer roads and POI are missing. Does anyone have connections with Mazda to get them to support a very expensive option? It would have been cheaper to buy an after market GPS system and had more control on updates. :cry:
    The new 2005 8s are coming with the 2003 (I think) maps still. If you go to the map-makers home page and try to buy an updated map set you get:

How to Get This Map

New updates are not currently available.

To order replacement discs, get Canadian prices, or for any other questions, call 1-888-NAV-MAPS ( 628-6277) for assistance.

Call Center
    Phone: 1-888-628-6277

Why not call and ask them what the scoop is?

Dennis
  • jimstack41jimstack41 Member Posts: 7
    I am also looking at the RX8 and the G35. I want the standard trans and after optioning both cars out the way I want them the G MSRP is almost $5,000 more. The G may be a slightly better car overall, but the zoom-zoom looks of the 8 make it my choice at the price difference.

I think the NAV is way overpriced and I'm looking for an aftermarket one.

Can you really get $ 5,000 off a 05 RX8? I finally got a list of every option and package and the Shinka is not appealing to me at all. The problem is finding exactly what you want with the GT package and some line item options, colors and interiors.

Does anyone know anything about changes to the 06? Minor? None?

I have loved cars since the 64 'stang (I was 14) It is nice to see so many of you out there.

Jim : :D
    I have not seen or heard the latest offers from Mazda (the lease special expired Tuesday). You should be able to get an 05 for invoice or below, and there was $2k in MAC lease rebates and then you might try for the $500 Geber rebate. With discounts, freebies, and rebates mine was about $3,400 under INVOICE.

I am sure Mazda will have some cash or lease or dealer promo for July as well, we will just have to see what it is. If you can find a new 04 like you want, you are looking at $4,000 - $4,500 or more under invoice.

Dennis
    The new special are posted now on the MazdaUSA web page. They may vary by region, so put in your ZIP code to check. For most the 24 month lease has carried over from last month:

2005 RX-8 6-Speed $299/Month, 24-Month Lease, $2,599 due at Lease Signing after $2,000 cash back*. Includes 1st Month’s Payment and Security Deposit. Excludes taxes, title and fees.**

* The Amount due at Lease Signing is higher in the following states: Connecticut ($3,257); Massachusetts ($3,356); Rhode Island ($3,422); Virginia ($2,994); and West Virginia ($3,011).

** Dealer participation required. Not all lessees will qualify for lowest payment through Mazda American Credit. Some payments higher, some lower based on residency and other factors. Not available for NY residents. Lessee responsible for excess wear and mileage over 24,000 at $0.15/mile. Total payments of $7,176. Purchase option at lease end for $15,364. Take new retail delivery from dealer stock by 8/01/05. See participating dealer for qualifications.

They also show $1k in MAC cash. You could already get $2k in money on a lease, looks like now you can get $1k if you purchase with a MAC loan. Watch the rates, though. While the MAC lease special is below market value - and MAC loan may be over market value. So compare the payment with your own financing and not $1k rebate VS getting $1k off and doing the MAC loan.

Dennis
  • jimstack41jimstack41 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks Dennis,

The inventory I see on the net is all 05 models. I have read that 04's are no longer listed on the internet inventories. Is that true?

There are four or five dealers within 75 miles listing 4 to 6 05's in stock. I'm paying cash. For MSRP's around $33,000 should I be looking at a final price of less than 30 grand?

There seem to be a lot of choices around my area and too many G35's on the road. I'm definetly going RX8! :shades:
    Yes, when Mazda made the final "here, you sell them" buy down on the 04s they pulled them from the search. I posted a message here with the ones I knew about, and others have done the same. Sort of slim pickings, but if one is like you want then it would be a good deal.

You might want to "finance" some of the 05 with MAC to get the $1,000 rebate off the price. Then just pay it off in a month or two, the little interest would not come close to the $1,000 you would save off of your best price.

Go to carsdirect.com and see if there is a pre-done deal in your area. If not expand your area by putting in nearby ZIPs for large cities. Also, carsdirect.com will let you see MSRP and invoice as you add and remove options. You should look for something under INVOICE - without any rebates - as your goal. $100 minimum,down to $500-600 under invoice if you can get it.

Dennis
    I had a good dealership experience picking up my new RX-8 from Mazda Knoxville. I mentioned to my salesman that I "knew" some folks looking for deals on the 8. He said $500 under invoice for any of his remaining RX-8s - they have a pretty good selection, 24 last time I looked on their web page.

So if Knoxville, TN is within your travel radius I recommend you look them up and see if they have something you like.

I can't post the salesman's name or a link to the dealership, but if you Google Mazda Knoxville the link will come up - and the salesman is the Internet sales manager and his name is all over the web page.

BTW, they took my Gerber rebate but did require the original Gerber card.

Good luck!
    Dennis
  • oga2oga2 Member Posts: 4
    Just wanted to let you guy's know i checked out the 04 TI gray at Kempthron today. It drove great and was offered to me at $26,000 before TTL with a $95 doc fee (sales manager told me they had to charge the doc fee, was standard). They also agreed to pick up my final payment on my lease ($470). When all is said and done, before TTL I paid $25,640 for a 04 with 250 miles on it. I put a deposit on it that is refundable..what do you guys think about the deal.

And Dennis thanks for the heads up on the 04's :)
    If it is equipped like you want, I don't see how you can go wrong at that price. I like the color and it has the NAV, some of the other options were not things I would have chosen if I were "ordering one" - but if that is good for you then go for it.

There just is not a lot of choices in left over 04s right now. You can get a bit of a deal on an 05, but not as good and it is tied to MAC financing. As their 06s come out they will get cheaper with more incentives, but will likely still be tied to a MAC deal. By getting the 04 you can pay cash/use your own financing and pay less money.

Ask them to flash you to the latest PCM "load" (should be "R" or "N" if they don't have "R" yet) before you take delivery. It is likely this car has really old software on it.

BTW, someone went to pick up another 04 I mentioned and found out that Mazda has put a hold on ALL RX-8 sales! Under certain conditions and in hot climates sitting at a prolonged, high RPM idle can cause heat build up to damage certain parts - including the plastic gas tank. Sometime next week MazdaUSA will provide the dealers with a instructions and parts (?) to do the recall/repair/inspection. Once your new car has been inspected, you can take delivery.

Dennis
  • oga2oga2 Member Posts: 4
    I forgot to mention that thanks for letting everyone know.

What do you mean by flash? I've been reading this forum for a while and have seen that term used a few times.

I would have prefered the 8 to have the GT package but Kempthron was he furthest I was willing to go for a car (I live in MI;about a 3hr drive from Canton, OH). I learned that with my last car purchase, 65' Lincoln Continental convertable. I had to drive 6hrs to Madison, wi. but I still love the car!

I want to thank you again Dennis, your advice and information has been priceless in purchasing this car.
    All cars now have computers in them to control everything. The RX-8 seems to have an unusually powerful/flexible computer. The "flash" is just a software update for the computer (I think it is called the PTC or Power Train Controller).

They can adjust air/fuel mix for any RPM (improve mileage/cut pollution/make more power) and change any number of things. One thing I read about was originally the a/c compressor would cut off when the revs hit 5k - to enhance acceleration by taking the load of the compressor off the motor. Starting in one of the flash loads that took this out of the code, so after the flash the compressor will stay on past 5k rpm.

One part of the fixes for the new recall may be another new software load - and probably some heat shielding for under the car.

Kinda of like Microsoft - three new patches for XP/Win2k/Win2k3 came out this morning.

Dennis
  • mattzenmattzen Member Posts: 2
    anyone recently buy an 8 in the Los Angeles Area? i'm getting pretty serious about getting one soon and am curious about what i should be paying here. i know a lot of folks here are saying i should be able to get one at or under invoice. does that hold true in car happy LA? i'm also diggin the new lease incentive that's valid till the end of july. thoughts?

also, what is the best way to approach buying/leasing. should i get dealer quotes through the internet first (eg. edmunds/mazda website) and then go to them or should i just go to a dealer with knowledge of their invoice pricing etc... any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!
    I always start at carsdirect.com . Put in your ZIP and see what no haggle price comes up. If you don't get invoice or below widen your search by using other ZIPs in your area.

Also, you might check on the other Mazda forums here. Not a lot of 8 activity here, but there is more on the 3's or 5's or maybe MPVs. Someone over there may know which dealers deal easy and which do not.

I would shoot for invoice or below AND then the $2k MAC lease rebate.

Dennis
  • mattzenmattzen Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Dennis! I very much appreciate the tips! :shades:
  • pathospathos Member Posts: 5
    Dwynne,
    Thanks for all the great information.

Do (did) these deals exist in california? Specifically below invoice and also a $4000-4500 rebate on 2004's.

If so, it's too bad I missed it. I'm about to lease and I believe (correct me if I'm wrong), the year doesn't make a difference, so I'd prefer the 2004 at this point. However, I wonder if 2004's have a lower residual than 2005's or something like that.

Maybe I'll wait until next March for another great deal.
    You have to just call around and see, but others in CA have reported no 04s at dealers. Since Mazda removed them from the online search no well to tell except to visit the dealer, visit their web page (assuming it is up to date), or call them.

You should be able to do close to invoice now or under, then there is a $1,000 MAC finance rebate or a $2,000 MAC lease rebate going on now. The finance rate might be high, but you can always take the $1k off and refinance later. The lease rate is a quite a bit below the market rate and is a very good deal.

Dennis
  • dsmdriverdsmdriver Member Posts: 3
    The MazdaUSA site says "2005 RX8" for the lease, so I would assume it is only for the '05. They have totally different incentives on each of the models.
    Correct, the $4k money the dealers got for the 04s is it - no more help from Mazda.

If you run the numbers, the 05 lease deal through MAC is MUCH cheaper than getting a lease on an 04 (which would have to be leased as a used car at this point).

Dennis
  • jakebebberjakebebber Member Posts: 8
    A local dealership has a titanium 2004 RX-8 with Nav, tinted, spoiler, ground effects package, red/black leather interior with 8,000 miles. I called and they said Kelly Blue book was $31,600 and they were selling at $28,900.

Does this seem high for a used RX-8?

Jake
    That is about what I paid for a new 05 GT w/NAV and "0 miles" last month (counting the $2k in MAC rebate).

A left over 04 should be $26k or for a NEW car, this is a used car so I would say $24k or so.

Dennis
  • pathospathos Member Posts: 5
    Dennis,
    Thanks for writing back.
    Could you explain why it's cheaper to lease an 05 than 04? Is it just because the car is a year old? Or does it relate to residuals, etc.?

I got a quote for 2K down + 399/month (x35 payments) [taxes, etc included] for a 2005 Sport pkg/6CD/rotary accent/cargo net at 15K miles/year x 36 months.
    They used invoice (which includes a 150$ LA transportation fee - ?BS) - holdback (538) + profit (200) - cash back (2000) to total at 24877. The residual is only 45% for 15K miles/year this month (I saw their paper). I believe it was 48% just last month, this makes me want to buy it at the end if the car isn't having problems (for 11-12K$, +tax I think). And MF was 0.00138 (about 3.3% APR).
    The quote sounded high for these numbers, using a couple of lease calculators. It's always hard to tell if they're tacking something else in. There is a 475$ bank acq fee, 45-75$ doc fee, 425$ deposit, 8.75$ tire fee involved for sure. Any input?
    Dennis, do you mind telling me what number you got for your lease? It seems like you of all people would have gotten a fair/good deal. Just want something to compare it to, so I don't feel I'm getting jipped. Thanks!
  • jakebebberjakebebber Member Posts: 8
    Thanks so much Dennis - I spoke with the dealer last night and he's trying to impress upon me that because it has so many features they wanted to sell it so high. I was thinking no more than $25,000 myself, since I could get a new Shinka for $29,000 (according to Carsdirect.com)

Of course, he wants me to come and talk, which I'm not in much mood to do. I guess he thinks if I see the car, etc., I'll fall for it.

Thanks again,

Jake
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    They had Phil Edmonston on local TV last night - I loved his comment "This industry (car sales) is one of the most dishonest in the world".

Of course he thinks you'll fall for it, or anything else he tries.

Resist, resist, resist. There is always a better deal around the corner. No hurry to buy or commit! Ever!

The more you look around, the more knowlegable you will get. You will know when you see a "good deal".

Car salesmen hate me. I don't play their game. ;)
    Well, once the model year has past then the 04s are considered used cars to the lease bank. Almost all of them use the ALG lease residual numbers and the number to lease an 04 that was NEW would be the same number that you would get for leasing a used 04. Looks like on a 3/36k lease right now the residual would be $12,600 for a base or sports pack car.

Your lease payment is based on the the difference between your negotiated low price and the residual with the money factor applies. If you found a left over new 04 with sports pack and paid $24k for it, the depreciation alone would be $11,400 over 36 months or $316.67 per month - and that does not include interest. The money factor is usually a good bit higher on used car leases as well.

Are you looking at an auto or 6mt? The auto residuals are 2-3% worse, I am told.

Also, you and the dealer are looking at the WRONG lease - the sweet spot in the MAC lease deal is the 24 month lease! The residual on a 24/24k is 56% and should have an even lower MF than the 36 month deal. For a 24/30k lease the residual will be 55% or 54%.

Mine was based on the June deal, which was 59% residual on a 24/24k lease and the MF was 0.00107 (2.5%) if you paid security or let them bump it up to 0.00122 (2.9%) and they waive security. I don't know the MF (but could work it out), but I was told the residual on the 24/24k lease dropped from 59% in June to 56% now. To keep the "$299 a month" payment for the base 6mt in the promo they reduced the MF even more. So you should be looking at 56% and 0.001 or less. 55-54% for a 24/30k lease.

Dennis
  • thelthel Member Posts: 767
    The local dealer has 3 black RX8's. The chapest one has the GT package with the cool red and black leather seats. MSRP is $31.5k. I seriously doubt I can afford one, but how much should one of these leftovers go for? They have 3 04's on the lot so I hae a bad feeling that they are not too willing to let them go for a song but...

BTW, they had it in the paper last week for a sale price of $26,XXX.
    mine stickered for $30,300. They priced the car from the get-go at $27,900 and then minus the $4000 Mazda rebate at the time. I asked for another 1K off the car which they showed as giving me on my trade so i ended up financing $21,4??. I never thought I could afford a new one either, but my payment actually went down. I would hold out for a slightly better deal considering the time of the year - 06's aren't that far away!!

PS. I love my 8!!!!!!!!!!
    That's almost $9k off of MSRP! Maybe $22k is in the realm of reason afterall?...

Maybe I'll go fo a test drive afterall. I just don't want to waste the salesmans time if I can't afford one, you know? Then again, maybe they'd welcome someone driving a car that has been on the lot sooo long.
    the leftover 04 prices were better than the used ones I found. Mine is a 6 mt with the sport package and navigation - no touring or g touring, but I've added the rotary accents, a cd changer and the rear wing spoiler for about another $500 or so. I financed for the longest term ( I usually make way more than the minimum payment, but with being single, I feel safer knowing that I can cut my car payment to the bare minimum if I need to) and my payment is $350 or so.

Go check them out. I don't think $22k is out of line for a car that's about to be 2 model years old. I was in your shoes exactly and told my salesguy that I was possibly dreaming to even think I could buy one, but he was great about it and worked up the numbers long before I expressed a real interest in being able to buy one. Once you drive it, you'll have to have it!!
  • trispectrispec Member Posts: 305
    It may be hard to imagine, but Boston Mazda dealers don't seem to care about selling cars. I can't get ANY offers. I've expressed great interest in an RX 8 AT with a Sports package to a local dealer after a really long test drive. I brought my six year son on the test drive so he could enthusiastically endorse the car, which he did. I was sent away to find my own price on Edmunds.com by the manager himself.

Then I sent e-mail requests for quotes on the specific RX 8 model and package to all four metro dealer. They all sent back "Call Us" boiler plate email with really wacked nonsense statements like "Now that we answered you email... call us for a test drive"

I've been a Saturn guy for a decade now so I don't have a clue what the magic words are to get the typical rabid dog dealer to come barking at my door.

I made the first moves by test driving, telling them I really love that Black RX, giving my home number, work number, cell number, and e-mail address. I told them my wife had given permission to visit dealers and my car budget was look'n pretty healthy. The only thing I politely pushed back on was the idea that I didn't think I needed to pay full retail.
    It's quite simple really, you simply need to walk into the dealer of your choice and make an offer on the car you want. Usde Edmunds, Carsdirect.com, magic 8-ball, or whatever to decide how much you're willing to pay for the car and then start going to dealers and making offers. If none of them accept your offer, you simply need to raise it until it is accepted. It should not take very long, a few minutes at most. Do not get caught up in the :...wait here while I go check with my manager (for an interminable amount of time)" nonsense. Just offer them $XX,XXX and let them accept or reject in a reasonable amount of time.

If you wait for the dealer to call you up with an offer you will most likely be wainting a looong time, that simply isn't how most dealerships work. It sounds to me like maybe you're dropping your number hoping a dealer will call you up with a discounted price without you having to "work" for it and most dealers just don't work that way (some do, but not around here anyway).

Good luck!