Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen GTI Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• enekoeneko Member Posts: 16
    Hi there,

I went to the VW dealer today. I found the car I was looking for, a GTI manual with package1. My only concern is that the car already has 170 miles. Do you guys think this is ok? Should I get a discount for that?
    Most of the cars at the dealer have 10 to 20 miles and, as you can imagine, that is what I will wish for mine.
    Thanks!
  • geosamgeosam Member Posts: 18
    Eneko, If this is the car you really want and cannot find another one like it within 50 mi radius, then I would not worry about 170 mi. But you are entitled to a discount probably somwhere between 1 or 2 hundred dollars. Believe me if they think you will walk away from this car they will discount it. There are plenty of of GTI's with PKG 1.
    Just do a search from the VW.com site for dealers in your area, you can figure out the pkg and options on the car from the msrp listed for each car. If you cannot find another, 170 mi is not a big deal.
    BTW, I'm looking at a blk GTI at my dealer, manual, pkg 2, hufs, navigation, ground effects, AND 4500 mi!!, new never been titled. If the discount is right , I will buy it.
    take care and good luck.
    george
    George,
    Thanks for you advice and good luck with your deal.
    eneko
    Hi George,
    another question. When I was test driving that GTI I was talking about I saw a sticker on the windshield saying "Scheduled maintenance March 12". Do you know if new cars at dealers are subject to regular maintenance?
    It sounds weird to me.
  • arnaud1818arnaud1818 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks George,
    just bought it today, with the 18'' hufs , summer hi perf tires. perfect.
    27040 + title + tax for a 4 doors, DSG, black, pack2, 18" wheels , floor mats . Was not able to get a better price.... In NJ.
  • calpbk91calpbk91 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased in Northern California in mid January 2007. Specially ordered with 18-inch Hufs, Interlagos, standard gear in and out and nothing else. I waited about 3.5 months to take delivery. Dealer experience less than satisfying. Was quoted $22,200 through the internet sales coordinator, and at time of delivery his "associate" tried to bump it up to $23,900. I headed for the door, and the quoted price was suddenly honored without argument. Paid ~$24,000 OTD. Have ~1000 miles on the clock 1 month in and no real complaints so far. Quick off the line, great overtaking abilities, solid roadholding with possibly a bit more body roll than I'd like (will look into lowering the car to Euro-spec), no rattles. 32/23 mpg estimate is inflated. Try 27/19 under moderately hard driving.
  • imontoyaimontoya Member Posts: 29
    I get about 24-25 combined now after 3400 miles. The rumour is it gets better after the first oil change. Body Roll can also be controlled by the thicker rear anti-sway bars they sell (Neuspeed is the name I can remember right now). I wish I had the Eurospec springs - 30mm lower would be just perfect for the car. I do have the center console rattle now that so many complain about, happened after the snow/ice storm here and the wonderful ruts they create. NOt too bad most of the time but noticable on freeways with the concrete joints. Still liking my car overall - super nice and everyone enjoys riding in it.
    Hi there,

what do you think about

4 door GTI, manual, package#1, 18' hufs for $24000+TL?

Thanks
  • minchulminchul Member Posts: 2
    I have a plan to buy a new GTI within a month. I am looking for a 4-door w/DSG&Package #2. I just found the VW is providing a special offer like 3.9$ interest by this month, Mar. Is there anybody getting this nice interest? In the inventory of a VW dealer shop website, I found a GTI 4-door that I am looking for. The MSRP of this is $28,565, and the invoice is $26,757. If I get this b/w the msrp and invoice, is it good deal? This is the first time to buy a new car, so please give an advice.

And, I have some questions about the terms.
    What does TTL stand for?
    What is the Hufeisen? Is it the brand name of Alloy?

Thank you in advance.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,199
    Tax
    Title
    License

Yes.. that is the name of the optional 18" alloys.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    its not really a brand name; you can't get other hufeisen's in different styles. In other words, its not like BBS or ENKEI, which have different rim styles; hufs are just the name given to that style of rim and i think its a special kind of alloy that they use for it.
    Hufweisen or Hufeisen (which means Horseshoe) by BBS 18" wheel - 18x7.5 et 51 - 29lbs

It's not the "alloy" used it's the name of the model. They are also known as "Detroit". Most OEM wheels are cast aluminum alloy of some sort.

Forged, spun cast, etc and all the more exotic, lighter, stronger wheels will cost a lot more.
  • fla_nativefla_native Member Posts: 1
    minchul,
    I just purchased a 2-door, 6-speed, Pkg 1 3 days ago. I got the financing deal but the way it works (according to my salesman) is 3.9 percent for 36 months, 4.9 percent for 48 months, 5.9 percent for 60 months and 6.9 percent for 72 months. I ended up paying $22,300 pre TTL. Once I was ready to buy this car I priced it online using the Edmunds True Market Value pricing and then used the dealer quote feature to send it to 3 Volkswagen dealerships in my area. A few hours later my preferred dealership called me and sent me over a quote. I liked the price so I set up a test drive, negotiated my trade-in, did the paperwork and that was it.

Hope this helps.
  • thatscowthatscow Member Posts: 1
    I got mine w/ invoice price w/o any B/S fee like dealer, adv. fee.. blah blah. take your time... don't be rush, email or fax to couple dealers to list what price u r looking for... tell them to call you if they could make it.
    Never let the saleman to add those B/S fee into ur car. Do more research on the pricing stuff. It took me for a month dealing w/ several dealers thru emails and phones (around 10 dealers) to get this deal. Good Luck!!

Mine is C/W 4 door, w/ DSG, 18" Hufs, Pkg 1. w/ 3.9% for 3 yr.
    Total $ 24.4K
    Hi, one question : what is this 'EuroSpec' ? Thanks
    "total 24.4k"

With or with out taxes?
  • razortbrazortb Member Posts: 8
    Went to local SoCAl VW dealer to check out GTI's and drove one. 2dr DSG cloth 18's body kit had MSRP near I believe 27k? plus a dealer mark of 2k. I wasn't buying just looking the mgr. offered 3k off msrp I said not buying right now okay 4k he says. So maybe some deals can be had? Good luck to everyone
    Where in SoCal was that?
  • h2o_goalieh2o_goalie Member Posts: 2
    '07 united gray/anthracite w/18" & AS, Pkg. 2, ground effects kit, auto DSG, Nav. w/6 changer, floor mats and tinted windows.
    $29,740.00 OTD.

Not sure how well I really did. I can't escape the feeling that I could have worked them down another $500 or so...but at the end of the day this was the exact car I wanted and I was getting tired of the back-and-forth w/Herb Tarlick Jr. I was told aftewards that invoice was $28,9xx...if that's the case I guess I came out alright.
  • razortbrazortb Member Posts: 8
    Van Nuys not too sure of the deal or the dealer he was trying to keep me from walkin' out so I can't honestly say if it would've gone down. :confuse:
    this actually does not sound too bad; you got the nav, floor mats and the ground effects kit, all options that are fairly pricey. I think you did ok.
    It's not the "alloy" used it's the name of the model. They are also known as "Detroit". Most OEM wheels are cast aluminum alloy of some sort.

yes i know, that is what i was trying to say; its not a 'brand' like bbs, (it may be made by them), its just the name of that style of wheel. I thought i heard it was a special kind of alloy, i guess not.
  • warshiwarshi Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Just purchased an awesome red 07 gti 4dr manual basic package. Had to shop around at a couple of dealers and some internet sales. Found a good local dealer in the end. TTL bumped the price to 24k.

A tip about the mat kit. Get it locally at the dealership for 72$. Its just the four mats without the trunk mat.
  • ramin348ramin348 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a 2006 or 2007 GTI in Orange County. All I want is the 2dr with DSG. The standard features are pretty nice. The MSRP is 23935 and invoice is 22401. How much did others pay around the southern California area?
  • lindy5lindy5 Member Posts: 2
    Hi - I am considering an offer for a 4DR auto GTI w/pkg 2, IPOD adapter, and 17 inch alloy wheels. The MSRP is $28,144. The offer is for $27,000. Does this seem like a fair price? (I'm in the Northern CA area.) Just wondering what people have paid for a car similar to this.

Thanks!
    Below actual MSRP is always good just don't allow for any second sticker non-sense. Of course the iPod jack is a standard feature I believe and 18" wheels are the upgrade. You don't lose anything with the 17" wheels except weight. Seems like a good deal to me.
    man 27? I've seen package 2's around here (nc) for at least a grand less...but i don't think they had the ipod adapter, which is different than the aux jack. But if its any consolation, perhaps the jack would be better, it has the same sound quality, but it doens't charge the ipod. Many people like it for the ablity to be able to control it through the radio, but i've heard this is cumbersome and doesn't work as well as its advertised.

The GTI comes stock with 17 inch wheels. Vw has other 17's that you can equip the car with, but since its just a different look, as oppossed to a bigger, more expensive wheel like an 18 inch would be, maybe they could swing it for ya if you don't like the stock 17's.
  • lindy5lindy5 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the feedback imontoya and eldaino. I prefer the look of the standard 17 inch wheels over the 18 so I am ok with the wheels. Like many other car buyers, my main concern was making sure the price was fair...I am now feeling better about the offer. :)
  • zigster38zigster38 Member Posts: 117
    you are paying too much. At least 500 bucks under too.
  • iomaticiomatic Member Posts: 48
    Wow.

TMV has that at 27323 w/o wheels and mats. Nice... what should I negotiate towards a 4-door, DSG, pkg. 2?

Thanks!
  • jrhspeedjrhspeed Member Posts: 2
    Just put a deposit down on a 2007 4dr, DSG, pkg 2, mats, united gray, 17" wheels - $27000. Tax, document, etc. all extra. Financing thru VW, but the price was settled before we talked financing.

Car is being transported from port, so I haven't seen the actual window MSRP, but all my info put it at ~ $27,800. I went into dealership looking to pay 27 even (after researching TMV and Kelly Blue book prices) and that's what I got, so I'm satisfied. I don't think I could have done much better - there weren't a lot of grey 4 dr DSG's in my area (NE Ohio - Midwest), so I didn't think I could do a better deal unless I went with another color or some other change.

Now I just want to get my hands on the actual car!
  • vwguild1vwguild1 Member Posts: 98
    Congratulations!!! Welcome to the VW Family...You will love the DSG... :)
  • timmbojtimmboj Member Posts: 123
    Does anyone have the MF or Residuals for a 2007 GTI 4-Door? I'm interested in a 24 or 36 month lease with 15K miles.

Thanks!
    Explain that to me and I could tell you - I have a lease on my '07 GTI
  • mrjohnmrjohn Member Posts: 3
    07 gti 4 door with package 1 with 18" wheels w/ performance tires, 8 airbags, dark gray, in ct, $24249, plus ttl $26415, price looks to be on par with other posters (it is a 6 speed manual). What is the real difference in wheel size anyway?, 17 to 18' is not a huge jump up.
    Oh what a blast to drive, its being so long since my last stick shift.
    So much for zoom zoom, now its time for vroom vroom!!!!!!
    Thanks, John.
  • jrhspeedjrhspeed Member Posts: 2
    From what i've read, the 18" have a stiffer ride. Haven't actually driven one though.

Just picked up my 07 4d with DSG - after having driven a manual for last 13 years, gotta say I'm loving the DSG. Pretty much feels like a manual, performs like a manual; all with the ease of an automatic. Or maybe I'm just getting old ;) !
    Volkswagon's numbers for their Money Factor and Residual Value for their current lease promotion. I'm trying to calculate a lease for myself before approaching a dealer, but I can't do it without those two figures.
    your tires' sidewall will proably be smaller, hence the rougher ride!
  • spinner5spinner5 Member Posts: 3
    I have an opportunity to buy a used 2007 GTI 2dr DSG with 5K miles. It has package 2, ground effects, will be certified for 2 additional years of warranty. $24K before tax/title. Any thoughts?
    man that sounds AWESOME, the votex ground effects kit alone is pricey, as is package 2; your bascially paying what someone with a 4 door gti with only dsg as an option would pay. sounds great!
  • flight2456flight2456 Member Posts: 6
    Hey everyone. I'm leaning toward leasing a GTI and this is the price I am getting from a dealership in New Jersey.

White 4-door GTI with Package 1 and 6-speed manual
    3 years/36K miles
    $328/month
    No money down, except inceptions, tax, security, first month, etc. ($1800)

So the 328/month does not include tax. Thoughts? Seems a little high to me...
  • ucsb805ucsb805 Member Posts: 8
    I've been quoted 100-300 above invoice for an 07 GTI with dsg, package 1, and 18" alloys. I'm in southern CA, near santa barbara, and would love to be able to purchase by the end of the month. Has anyone had any experience with any of the dealers between here and LA? What are other people paying?

I test drove the car yesterday and fell in love...thanks in advance for any advice!
  • jondc212jondc212 Member Posts: 15
    please help..

i know i want a black 2007 GTI w/ DSG. and i am planning to buy it in 2 months using carbuyingtips.com as a resource.

what is the big difference between 2 door vs. 4 door?

weight? speed? style?

and what prices should i be looking at bc this is the month of July and most dealerships are trying to bring in the new 08 GTIs.

help appreciated.

j-
    what is the big difference between 2 door vs. 4 door?

Ummm... I think the big difference is the number of doors? ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• jondc212jondc212 Member Posts: 15
    as far as pricing? is there a clear cut difference.
    2007 Volkswagen GTI

Looks like the 4-door is $500 more than the 2-door.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

totally worth it, unless you love the way the 2 door looks.
    I had a most excellent experience with Colonial VW in Feasterville, PA (Philadelphia). I waited until the last few days of June to contact about 7 dealers in the U.S., and these folks sold me a loaded GTI at Edmunds Invoice price. Everything was handled through e-mail. They were great. No games, very professional. None of the other dealers I contacted came anywhere near that price. I don't know if it was my timing, or their market, but I got a great car at a great price and my best lease ever. All the Edmunds research paid off big-time!

:D
  • aohurstaohurst Member Posts: 8
    OK, it's used. But only has 8,100 miles.

2007 GTI 4-door, Pkg 1 and 2, 18" wheels.
    Minor curb rash on one wheel.
    6-speed manual.
    Red with Black interior

Seller wants $22,000 but I could probably get it for $20,500.

Good deal?

KBB only has 2006 used car values, and it says an 06 is worth between 20 and 21k but this is an '07.