Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen GTI Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cendrilloncendrillon Member Posts: 2
    I reckon there's at least another $500 in the deal. I'll start shopping the offer around to other dealers this week. This dealer said he'll match any other dealer's price, so if I can get another dealer to go down, then I'll bring the deal back to him and get him to go a step further etc. etc.

I'll let you know how it goes.
  • bitfactorybitfactory Member Posts: 3
    Hi Folks,

Received this deal for a '10 GTI 4DR (cloth with upgraded stereo).

MSRP $27,820 Sale price $26,769
    money factor .00112
    Lease Term: 36
    Total Payment: 409.89
    Out of Pocket: 997.39
    MSRP: 27,820.00
    Residual: 15,022.80
    Mileage: 12,000

How does this look right out of the box?
  • kwakasmithkwakasmith Member Posts: 29
    Having owned a 2 dr GTI from 2006 to 2009, I decided to look at some other options for my next lease and very happy I did. Whilst my GTI handled well with good pick up, I had no end of annoying electrical & trim faults + at least 3-4 recalls. I affectionately referred to it as my VW P.O.S.
    Wishing to remain in the same price range, I opted for the Genesis Coupe 3.8 (auto) this time round and have been very pleased with that decision. Performance & Handling are excellent and the fuel economy isn't far off the GTI's. Best of all, it's costing me less/month than my 2007 GTI !

As an owner, would recommend trying one of these before buying your next GTI. You don't need the Coupe track versions (sprung too hard and a silly wing), the base 3.8 auto is comfortable, fully loaded and if I buy it at the end of the lease, I still have 7 years to go on the warranty.

Happy hunting.

Rgds
  • imontoyaimontoya Member Posts: 29
    My GTI was pretty much problem free in my 2 years of ownership. I would recommend one. ;) My 2007 had 1 minor recall. Did we own the same car? The 3.8L Genesis gets 18 MPG in the city, the worst I recall for my GTI was 22 MPG. I know VW addressed many of the niggling concerns for the 2010 model year and I would love to own one once again.

Back to the lease inquiry; can someone explain "money factor" a bit better?
    maybe I was unluckey but the problems I had were as follows. Would comment that all items were fixed under warranty, just a pain having to keep going back to the dealer.

1, Peeling window switches.
    2, Intermittant thumping in of the bass on the stereo.
    3, Dodgy fuel range readings, would show you had over 100 miles of range then about 10 miles later drop to less than 30.
    4, Sharp edge on glove box that would scrape the skin off my thumb when extracing the booklets from their slot. (eventually got sanded down).
    5, all 4 dashboard air vents fell to pieces, (directional clips all broke off - probably due to a combination heat / cold and the plastic clip being too low grade for the job.
    6, 1 x breakdown (little red light on the drivers side door had been illuminated constantly for aprox 2 days - ran the battery out but technically, the only breakdown I had that stranded me at work).
    7, Dodgy oil pressure sensor, would illuminate occasionally under normal driving.

Had a number of other issues but can't locate the complaint letter I sent to VW with all the other info / exact milages when things went wrong.

Apart from the above, found that the little metal wings that I guess hold the seat foam in place, would dig into the underside of my legs. The only other annoying issue was you couldn't open your windows with any amount of water (morning dew etc) sitting on your roof / windscreen, as it would all end up in the car soaking your arm/leg & door inner.

Like I say, I must just have been unlucky !
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    There are two parts to a lease payment.. depreciation and finance charge

The money factor is just a number that is used to calculate the finance charge portion of the lease payment (interest, if it were a loan).

Hope that helps..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tsx24tsx24 Member Posts: 85
    Money Factor is the interest rate of your lease. MF X 2400 = Interest Rate. The reply above indicated .00112 MF, which translates to 2.688 % interest, which is quite good.
  • tsx24tsx24 Member Posts: 85
    Hyndai warranty sucks, when will people wake up to realize this. Your precious 10 year warranty is only on drivetrain!
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    But the 5 year warranty is the best in the business. No one has a 10 year bumper to bumper warranty.
    tsx24, I realize the 10 year warranty is the drivetrain only. The point is, 3 yrs from now when I have to decide to purchase or not, I can do so with the piece of mind that the most expensive parts on the car are covered for another 7 years.
    Similarly, should any bumper-bumper type problems develop in the 1st three years, they will of course be covered like they were on the GTI but I'll still have another 2 years to go !

Bottom line, if I remain as impressed with the car at the 36 month point as I currently do, my decision will be very easy, as it was with the GTI just a very different outome.

As background, I've had 18 different cars (makes & models) since 1988 and that was my second GTI. The 1st was a 2002 1.8 Turbo which I got rid of after only two months of use. The 2nd was the 2007 GTI which I leased expecting a highly improved model which based on intitial road tests, appeared to be the case. I locked in to a 3 year lease but given the choice, I would have quite happily returned this car within the 1st year.

rgds
  • chriskojalichriskojali Member Posts: 5
    kwakasmith, why are you here? You don't like GTI's...noted. You really like Hyundai's and their warranty...noted. Now we return to our regularly scheduled program, GTI prices paid and experiences.

I just picked up a 2010 2 door manual GTI here in Atlanta. Options are bluetooth, Detroit wheels w/summer tires, sunroof and the msrp is $26,304. I paid $24,000 which is roughly $450 under invoice. Dealer said I could NOT get the 1.9% financing with this deal but I suspect I could've gotten it with more negotiation. I traded in a car and paid cash for the balance so it wasn't important to me. Dealer experience otherwise was exceptional and the car has been a complete blast to this point.
    chrikoojali,

I actually like GTI's in terms of comfort, handling and design which is why I have owned two. What I found to be unsatisfactory was the reliability.

Why am I here ? because I found this website very helpful in determining the selection of my last four cars, based on reviews and owner feedback.
    I have passed on my factual experiences in this section as many here will be close to parting with some large sums of cash which they may regret later on.

Some may find my feedback helpful, others may not. Those who don't can obviously ignore.

Anyway, good luck with your GTI and wish you many happy miles of motoring.
  • fuser999fuser999 Member Posts: 4
    I just leased a 2010 4 door with:

rubber mats
    xenon lights
    upgraded stereo
    sun roof
    summer tires

for 330/month (with tax) and 1350 down. Dealer took 2500 off MSRP and used $750 credit for drive-offs. There are deals to be had out there. (This was in socal)
  • chriskojalichriskojali Member Posts: 5
    You've made 4 or 5 posts in this thread and every one of them is commenting on problems with two GTIs you've owned. This is a thread about prices paid for GTI's. If you want to bash VW while praising Hyundai, create a thread called 'Genesis Coupe v. VW GTI'. It's annoying here.

Really though you might as well compare a Cadillac CTS with a GTI since comparing a Hyundai makes about as much sense. You clearly don't 'get' VW's so why try.
  • staggerwingstaggerwing Member Posts: 2
    chriskojali,

Can you share the name of the dealer in Atlanta.
  • fasgtifasgti Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    Anyone here from Chicago, who has just bought a 2010 GTI. I am planning to get:

2010 GTI White (2DR)
    DSG
    Autobarn

Would love to know what you paid and where you got it from. I am in the Northern Burbs of Chicago (Skokie)

Thanks in advance.
  • eurogtieurogti Member Posts: 3
    got my gti on april first

18"
    xenon
    autobahn
    dsg
    4door
    gti mats

30500 out the door
  • dghostdghost Member Posts: 1
    I ran across a 2003 GTI 1.8lT 91K miles. The dealer is asking $7950. The carfax appears clean, with no major repairs evident. New at the whole car buying thing. Does this sound like a fair price? Any recommendations for an opening number to begin with? Any and all advice appreciated.
    My guess is that your owning experience on that vw will be very unpleasant. That gti will likely be a moneypit.
  • 2gtiguy2gtiguy Member Posts: 8
    King VW in Gaithersburg, MD.

2010 GTI
    4 Dr., Carbon Steel Grey
    6-speed manual
    18" Karthoum Black Alloys
    Autobahn (leather sport seats, sunroof)
    Dynaudio
    Nav
    Paid $29,900, pre-tax.

LOVE this car (it's my 2nd GTI, but this one beats the '04 MK IV by a mile).
  • tslbmwtslbmw Member Posts: 172
    edited May 2010
    Congrats! I love the Karthoum wheels...and on Carbon Steel, your car must look downright stealthy. I've now had my 10 GTI (White w/Detroits) since 11/6/09 and have loved every minute of ownership so far. 7500 miles and counting... :)
    Thanks! I smile every time I get in this car. And when I get out, I stop to take a minute to look at it, and I smile some more. I've tried to post a photo below. We'll see how that goes....
    imageFrom The New Hotness">
  • geosamgeosam Member Posts: 18
    Love your car...That's exactly how I want mine, especially since I've never really liked Hufs or Detroit wheels. Unfortunately the Karthoums will make the price to steep for me. Was your car already equipped with the wheels? Did they have this car at the dealer or did you have to wait for months for them to find one just how you wanted it? Good Luck with your car!
    George
    Hey George! Thanks, I love my car too. As far as the wheels go, they do push the price up, but a couple things helped to mitigate that for me. First, I was able to get the wheels at the catalogue cost, which was $329 per wheel I think. That's a lot less than the $2100 they want as an option on Edmunds or through the VW Build Your Own page. Second, since the car I wanted had every other feature I was looking for except these wheels, but it DID have the 18" Denvers on it, I just had them swap the Karthoums with the Denvers. Thing is, it took four days for the dealership to order the Karthoums, so I drove around on the Denvers until then. After the swap ,the dealer bought my Denvers back from me, which dropped the price of the Karthoums even more. In the end, I paid roughly $800 for the Karthoums. Not too shabby, and well worth it for the appearance, IMHO.

To answer your other question: I had to do an online inventory search to find this car with the options I was looking for. I pulled up a list of the 5 nearest VW dealerships and started looking through their selection. This was literally the only one with the options/color combination I wanted. Good luck to you.
    Hey 2gtiguy, thanks for the info on your transaction with wheels. I think I will do something similar, however will probably stay with 17's. Yesterday I visited the dealer in my area and gave him all the info on what i wanted and he will get back to me when he finds the vehicle. I know I'll probably be compromising on something, maybe 2 dr instead of 4 dr. When I get this GTI, it will be my 8th GTI. I did notice on your pics that you have the navigation system. Can you actually play a DVD movie? and will it play while you drive?
    Thanks, George
  • chrishhchrishh Member Posts: 17
    chriskojali,

Which dealer did you deal with on your GTI?
    You know, Geosam, I haven't even tried it. I'll give it a shot and report back.

On a separate note, I've had the ECU upgrade done (254hp now with 296 ft lbs of torque), and I got 31.9 MPG average coming and going on my 30 mile commute to work (probably a 70/30 mix of highway and city driving). Awesome.
  • jjhonkajjhonka Member Posts: 1
    What state was this in?

I just got a GTI for $31k OTD in California.

4dr
    dsg
    autobahn pkg
    xenon
    rear airbag

Sticker was ~$29.6
  • greennfungreennfun Member Posts: 2
    2010 GTI United Gray 6M with bluetooth only

23.5K sale price and 26K out the door..
    6 miles only it when I bought.. not even test-driven before..
  • eurogtieurogti Member Posts: 3
    illinois\chicago
  • walid_gtiwalid_gti Member Posts: 3
    Hey folks,

Here is the deal I got and I wanted to know what you guys think:
    2010 GTI
    Manual Transmission
    2-door
    Bluetooth and Mats, nothing else.
    15K/year and 3 year lease.

Sticker: $24,639

Paying $325 a month (for 35 months). No down payment, no taxes, dealer fees or any other fee. I paid nothing. Also, I am not paying the first months payment due to the college grad program they have. My money factor was 0.0006 (= 1.44% interest rate). I think I got a pretty decent deal. What do you guys think?
    edited June 2010
    Here's my deal: 2 dr, UG, DSG, Sunroof, Bi-Xenon, Bluetooth. MSRP: $27,214.00
    Dealer price: $25,618.00 + taxes, fees etc = 27,032.00.
    Financed $25,164 @ 3.34% = $387 x 72 mo.
    I think it was a fair deal, maybe could have gotten extra $500 on my trade in.
    My eight GTI and first automatic, loving the DSG. Future upgrades: tint and
    new wheels.

George
    The deal looks fine except if you put 45k miles on the GTI, you will be way out of warranty and responsible for repairs on a car you don't own. If you stay under 36k, you'll be happier.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    If you stay under 36k, you'll be happier.

Not if you have to walk the other 9K miles... :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Nicely put kydfx, cracking wise and making money at the same time. Pairing two of life's great pleasures makes you one lucky dude !!!
  • cjohngroovecjohngroove Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone,

After long last, I have decided to bite the bullet and treat myself to a new car. My current search has led me to the 2010 VW GTI, and after having the opportunity to go on the road with one the other day, I am about 95% sure I want one. The only thing I'm uncertain about is the pricing and if I can reasonably push for any lower. Currently I'm looking at the following:

-2-door, cloth interior
    -DSG
    -Sunroof
    -Bluetooth & Mats

I'm being priced $25.9K with another ~$1.8K or so TTL.

I'd appreciate any thoughts and hopefully looking forward to being a GTI owner!
    Overstock says you can get $2200 off your gti around my zip code. Check around yours.
  • micosilvermicosilver Member Posts: 212
    Overstock is not selling cars, same as Zag.com, Costco or Edmunds. They do sell your information to as many dealers as they can, hoping that dealers will drop prices competing with each other, while each one pays a fee to the referring site.
  • angtiangti Member Posts: 1
    The deal i am getting is $26,000 (plus tax&lic.) for 4dr, DSG, 18" Detroit, Rubber Mat Kit, Bluetooth. It's supposedly $360 above invoice. What do you think?
  • benzserviceguybenzserviceguy Member Posts: 96
    Hey all:

Here is the deal I just got for my brother in law:

2010 2 door GTI with DSG tranz in United Grey Metalic
    18" Detroit rims with summer tires
    Sunroof
    GTI mat kit
    Bluetooth

MSRP: $27,629.00
    Cap Cost: $25,813.00 = $349 BELOW Invoice
    Factory Invoice (according to True Car: $26,162.00)

Leased for 36 months with 15K year.
    MF was .00185 (My BIL is credit challenged) = 4.44% Interest

Put 2K down which broke down as follows:
    Acq fee: $625
    Doc fee: $55.00
    Tire fee: $9.00
    Registration fee: $388
    1st payment: $432.00
    Cap cost reduction: $450.00

Mo payment with Cali (LA county taxes) = $431.60

Got it from LIVINGSTON VW in Woodland Hills, CA from the Internet dept. Very professional and very easy to deal with. Highly recommended

And just like bds231 said:

The dealers will tell you limited supply, no one wants to trade, that price is not feasable, etc etc etc
    IT'S ALL CRAP!!

Do your research, walk in with a price you are willing to pay. Either they accept the deal or you walk and go to the next store!

Good luck all and happy driving!!
    Sounds like a great deal. I do wonder why folks sign leases which exceed the mileage allowed under warranty. You will be responsible for tires - brakes - parts that will go to the next owner. Of course if you lease and then buy -- that makes some sense. Just a friendly question.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    The thing is-- I leased a 2006 jetta-- 15k a year-- 3 years, and I didn't have to pay a dime when i returned it even tho the warranty only went to 36K. Do the oil changes-- rotate the tires-- don't drive like a maniac-- try not to have to park as close to the store as you can (door dings), and you'll do fine.
  • benzserviceguybenzserviceguy Member Posts: 96
    edited June 2010
    JAY:

I mentioned that to him and told him that if ANYTHING went wrong after the 36mo/36K warranty expired, it would be on his dime. That is why I tried to convince him, to choose another manufacturer that has a 48mo/50K but he was DEADSET on the GTI.
    To each his own.
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink!
    edited June 2010
    I don't care how careful you drive---45k miles will need a set of tires at 40k and the next driver will benefit. In addition vw has cleverly left the major service for 40k miles -- just outside the warranty. Change all filters-oil-spark plugs-transmission fluid and filter etc. If you get out of the dealer for less than $600 consider yourself lucky. Add a set of tires and you've paid a nice price for a car you soon won't own. Of course if you stay at 39999k miles the major service is on them.
    edited June 2010
    "That is why I tried to convince him, to choose another manufacturer that has a 48mo/50K but he was DEADSET on the GTI. "

So for 3 years you drive around in your #2 choice because , maybe, there was a 10% chance that something might have gone wrong with the GTI. I don't think so.
  • drummerboy7816drummerboy7816 Member Posts: 1
    Finally decided on the 2010 GTI after a test drive. Best price I'm getting is this:

Car: 2010 GTI 4D w/ DSG, 18" wheels and mats
    Price before taxes & fees = $25,816
    Interest = 0% for 36 months
    Out the door cost = $28.5K

Is this a good deal? I know the raw price is not, but it's at 0% APR.

Thanks!
  • 1stgti1stgti Member Posts: 2
    I really wanted to get a 2010 with just about all of the trimmings, but wasn't able to find one in white and 4 doors. 2011 are coming in. Here is the offer I received:

2011 4dr autobahn DSG

MSRP is $31,475
    Offer is $30,133 plus tax, license, title and documentation fees.

Thumbs up or down?
  • manhandsmanhands Member Posts: 1
    I've been quoting prices, for 18" Detroits, Bluetooth and Rubber Mat kit is just shy of 26k OTD with all fees, keep pushing for more.
  • 1stgti1stgti Member Posts: 2
    The problem is I'm getting just about every option available. The latest price is $30K + tax. 2011 - 4 door, DSG, AutoBahn (leather, sunroof, Navi, Xenon, Dynaudio, rear airbags), and rubber mats. Invoice is like $30,400. I can probably squeeze a couple of more hundred, but cut into their holdback. Thoughts?
  • perunestperunest Member Posts: 42
    Purchasing new tires has no bearing on the length of the warranty, since they are never part of any warranty. You will always need to pay for tires yourself.