Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• carcarcarcar Member Posts: 19
    Hello everyone! We're going to be in the market for a new Lexus in February/March of '05. I was wondering, that, since there would still be 2004s remaining on dealers' lots during that time, would it be unheard of to be asking for 81% of MSRP? I'm not sure on how long Lexus dealers keep vehicles on their lot, but would they go for that price during that time? The vehicle we're considering is this:
    2004 Lexus ES330
     No color preference
     NAV/Mark Lev. System
     HIDs
     Heated seats
     Power Rear Sunshade

The MSRP on that is $37,760 (including dest), and I'm looking for it under or at $30,000. So 81% is $30,586, stretching the budget. That's a $7000 discount on the dealer's part, so that's why I'm wondering if it's realistic to pay that for a 2004 Lexus in 2005.

Any input is much appreciated.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    The price is realistic ... for a demo with 5k to 7k miles :-)
  • carcarcarcar Member Posts: 19
    kennyg5,
    I'm open to purchasing a demo from a dealer. Thanks for the response. But do dealers still have 2004 demos during 2005?
  • rkurellarkurella Member Posts: 3
    I got a quote for 32,900 for ND package. MSRP 36,384 (90.4%) via e-mail in TX. I saw lower %s as low as 87-88% in townhall. Any one around TX/OK have any experiences with lower than 90%?

Thanks to you all for your time and expertise.
  • menhirmenhir Member Posts: 3
    New to the forum. Would like to hear from people who got bids/negotiated mainly via internet or phone. Do you simply e-mail dealers and ask for quotes or do you give them a price? Also, any experiences with Pohanka or other Lexus dealers in the DC Metro area (N Virginia or Maryland)? Looking to buy with Nav and power rear shade -- MSRP 34780 including destination charge. Are folks in DC area getting 88% of MSRP as some elsewhere seem to have received? Thanks in advance.
  • chinolocochinoloco Member Posts: 2
    Reading this forum kinda sucks for me.
    I really wanted the graphite ES330 Sport Edition. Since only one dealer around had that color with the ML audio and the Nav system I paid 1800 over invoice. Oh well, I love the color and the options, and I guess when you are picky, you have to pay.
  • wjlwjl Member Posts: 11
    I also live in the N VA area, and have been working with Pohanka. Looking to purchase in about two months. There are a number of ways of getting the quote.... AAA, United Buying Service (if you belong to a credit union), etc. I emailed the dealership, told them what I was looking for, and when I would be purchasing. I also asked that I only be contacted via email. After a little bit of negotiations via I email, I will then pick the dealer with the best price, and perhaps try to negotiated just a little bit more. Did this with an Ford F-150 a couple of years ago. Very easy. Right now the best price I've gotten is at 90% of MSRP (didn't want the NAV or Mark, most of the other options) from Lexus of Silverspring. But all dealerships are willing to match, and I've just started my search.
  • menhirmenhir Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your informative reply. I also received a quote at 90% of MSRP from Lexus of Silver Spring (MD), but it was for a car that had an MSRP almost $3000 more that I wanted. I notice that dealers try to bundle the navigation and ML packages and add on extra options to increase the MSRP. I am hoping someone (perhaps Pohanka) will give me a quote for the car I want or something close. Has anyone purchased with the ND (Navigation) but without the ML package? Dealers I spoke with say these are almost always bundled.

Thanks again.
  • pierapiera Member Posts: 8
    Low end package: Base + option (0~ $1000)

Reading through the message board, I don't see a good deal (around 88%, if there is one,please let me know) made to a low end ES330.

Financing rate: the best rate is 3.49% for 5 years. Anyone got a better rate?

Thanks
  • navy1navy1 Member Posts: 2
    I offered /dealer accepted 30500 for a new ES 330 .. just the basic package. Sticker 33444. My question is what / leasing firm, what did you pay down, whats residual and what price is it based on. The MSRP or the the lesser amount ?? 12 0r 15k miles Thanks

LM-
  • wjlwjl Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know when the 2005 ES330 models will be coming out. I realize there won't be any real change from the 2004. However since we are looking to purchase in the July/August time frame, if the 2005 models will be out. My guess is that they won't hit the show room floors until around Sept/Oct.
  • jaytjayt Member Posts: 4
    I'm early in the process of searching for an ES330 Sport Edition. My initial observation is that they are a bit tough to find. Has anyone recently gone through this experience in No Cal, particularly in Sacramento? Prices paid? Dealers to consider/avoid? Thank you for the input.
  • snugglebunnysnugglebunny Member Posts: 1
    Hi, folks. My husband and I are negotiating with a dealership for a 2004 ES 330. The salesman is insisting that we must pay a $563 "advertising fee" as part of the deal. We assume "advertising fee" is just another form of "additional dealer markup". Has anyone else run into this? In other words, does Lexus customarily charge an "advertising fee" as part of its price? (if so, I couldn't find any evidence of it). Thanks.
  • georgeb7georgeb7 Member Posts: 35
    I would be more concerned about the transmission problem than the advertising fee!
  • andy71andy71 Member Posts: 96
    There is a separate forum for that. I am sure most potential customers test drive before buying their cars.
    which is why I legitimized my post by using the term advertising fee.(So there is some connection between my post and the subject). It must have been the Ralph Nader in me!
  • harry90066harry90066 Member Posts: 4
    The only fee I paid was $45 "Document preparation fee".
    As I mentioned already, it's IMHO the best car in it's class, very quiet and very smooth.
    I bought at Santa Monica Lexus and I've never had such a good car buying experience before.
  • bjk2001bjk2001 Member Posts: 358
    Or shall I ask what option well worth the money? HID? AVS?
  • knipsterknipster Member Posts: 2
    I don't like discussing such things, but I got a lot of value from the deals people posted, so I feel obligated to post mine.

Thanks to everyone else's postings on this board, I took delivery of a '04 ES 330. I jumped in both feet and took the Nav/ML package with most of the other extras (Seats, Rear Power Shade, VSC, HID Lights, etc...) because thats whats bundled with Nav. The info I found had MSRP at $37,934 and invoice around $33,600. I got my deal at $34,000 even (89.6%), which seems pretty decent, at Lexus of Greenwich. Very easy to deal with via the Edmunds Request Dealer Quotes feature.

Thank you everyone.
  • davidzdavidz Member Posts: 35
    Well, I'm starting the negotiating process, which I've been avoiding.

The dealer is asking $36,200 for as ES with Nav/Lev which stickers for $37,934. That's 95.4% of MSRP or about $3,000 over invoice (or about $2,500 over invoice if you include the advertising charge which he insists on doing, but whatever). I told him that was high and he came down about $600 and I told him that was still high. He's going to call me back.

I talked to the dealer in Akron and they want $1,500 over invoice.

I wonder why these prices are so much higher than the other deals I've seen here?
    Answer: Geography matters!
  • atoewsatoews Member Posts: 637
    In So Cal, there are so many dealers that they may fear losing a customer simply by quoting a price that is too high.

In your case, I'd come in with a fairly low offer (88% MSRP??) and see if you can get either dealer to give you 89% - 90%) 95% is 'way too high and you can intimate to the dealers that you have heard of others getting much better deals.

In your case, try and get a quote from the web (carsdirect.com), and you might even want to try Sam's Club or Costco to see if there is something better. 95% is worth negotiating down from, in my opinion.
    Exactly. I did a quick search on the Lexus website and there are 47 Lexus dealers in California. There are 8 in Ohio and 5 of them are 2 or more hours from me.
  • kleemittkleemitt Member Posts: 9
    2000 ES300 Platinum Edition with 52,500 miles on it. I paid $17,950 including Tax and everything. Did I get a good deal?

Nakamichi audio is awesome!
  • knipsterknipster Member Posts: 2
    I just got this in my Inbox

Now thru June 30th, Ray Catena Lexus is offering prices below invoices on all
    in stock ES330s with navigation. This is a one time offer that ends in a few
    days, so if you're interested, don't delay! Don't email mail me, just pick up the
    phone and give me a call.

Internet Sales Manager
  • seabushseabush Member Posts: 68
    What are the laws of cancelling a new car purchase in VA? I'm reading this thread and feel I didn't get the best deal I could. As such, I'd like to cancel my purchase. Is this an option?
    Everyone, please recall that our price comparisons do NOT include government (state and/or federal) imposed fees. 95% may be just fine, if you are including license and tax.
    I think the only thing that might happen is that you could stand to lose any money you have already paid the dealer toward the purchase.

If you did not submit a down payment, then you could probably back out, but expect the dealer to make you pretty uncomfortable about it.

Also, bear in mind that the major comparisons on this board occurred for winter purchases. Dealers may not be as willing to let a car go as inexpensively when more customers are wanting to purchase vehicles, as tends to happen in the spring/summer months.
    Ninety percent of my MSRP is $31,455. I placed an order for $32,500 which is less than the Edmunds TMV price but around 93% of MSRP. I put a $500 deposit down on the vehicle. Am I out of luck? I like this car but feel like I didn't get the best price for it. This coupled with complaints I read about transmission problems with the ES 330 makes me question my purchasing decision. P.S. I wish I had known about this board beforehand. All of my research led me to think this was good price and overall purchase.
  • toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    seabush:
    After owning the ES now for a year, I think the transmission issue is a far greater concern than a few hundred dollars at purchase. If you are looking for ammunition to approach the dealer to cancel, I'd refer to all of the negative posts about the poor transmission performance on this website - and admissions of such by Lexus dealerships. If I were to do it over, I'd look at other products.
    Have you asked for your $500 deposit back? If not, that's where I would start. There's no reason they should keep your deposit, if you haven't taken delivery of the car.
    I read all about the transmission issues, and I bought an ES330 because there's no other car I'd rather have.
    I strongly suspect that Ray Catena's invoice price includes an advertising fee of about $476. Don't be surprised by it.

But the next question is - HOW MUCH below invoice?

When you negotiate a deal from invoice, always do the math WITH THE SALESMAN and agree to a dollar amount before you're done. Otherwise you're opening yourself up to a disagreement and/or unpleasant experience when you go to pick up the car.
    Hello everyone. I was able to cancel the deal. I gave my dealer a credit card for the deposit. The credit card was never submitted. They contacted me this morning to indicate they were fine with cancelling the deal. It's a shame. I really like the car but reading so many negative comments about the transmission leads to believe this isn't the car for me. Now I'm back to square one. :(
    Seabush, good luck car shopping. Let us know what you get.

You might want to do what I did. Ask the dealer to take a demo ES330 home for the weekend. I showed up at 4:00 PM on Saturday and returned it on Monday morning. I decided I could live with the sluggish transmission. I also test drove the Acura TL and a BMW. I much prefer the ES330 but that's a matter of personal choice.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    I would at least test drive the ES. Who knows, may be your driving style might not induce the transmission anomaly. The Acura TL and the Infiniti G35 are also very good cars but would ride much harsher than the ES330 and probably won't be as quiet. While these forums are useful I don't usually make my decision based exclusively on what people say here.
    did you tell the dealer why you cancelled the purchase?
    Yes. I told the dealer why I cancelled. He indicated it was his experience that it wasn't an issue with the ES330. He didn't put up any resistance.
  • harry90066harry90066 Member Posts: 4
    Interesting, I think the transmission works great. Driving it for 6 weeks now and glad I bought it. No better car for this kind of money IMO.
  • igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    I think Seabush killed the deal mainly due to a buyer remorse on price, and those tranny issue posts certainly did not help. But like you I am quite pleased with my ES. Not sure it's the best overall car in $30K range, but definitely the best luxurious family sedan for the money.
  • rkurellarkurella Member Posts: 3
    Just had my ES 330 delivered to my office (TX)
    Silver/Charcoal leather
    ND Package (Nav but no Mark Levinson Audio)
    32500 (MSRP 36,384, Invoice 32427 I was told)
    + 1100 in Excise, 200 in Lic and 80 in Inventory Tax. 33836 in all.
    And, never had to leave my office..

Drives great very smooth. Impressive Navi system and an extremely quiet ride, unique to Lexus IMO.

This forum and the people who contribute to this forum are just great. I feel that I got a good deal and a lot of credit goes to the contributors. Thanks.

I read the Transmission issues, but I feel that there are a lot of car enthusiasts who feel that their cars are their best buddies and hear every noise and care for every scratch. However, there are this vast majority of people who enjoy their cars as a mode of transportation and take pride in the kid of comfort the car has to offer and ignore or willing to ignore (minor) noises and a little occasional jerk here and there. I fall into the second category.

I also have a Mercedes, that does this occasionally at a stop light and some times while accelerating. But I ignore it. I think it is certainly a matter of life style in most cases as long it is not a major issue or happens all the time. That doesn't mean I don't have a lot of respect for all those who are mechanically educated and experienced and want their cars to perform to their expectations. Just a thought since, I haven't come across an issue where the Transmission was not performing the way it is designed for. But, from some of the posts it appeared that there indeed was a major problem.

If you feel I may be misinformed, please post what I might be missing. I'd like to be educated and know what to do if in fact I experience the same.
    My advice to you - as long as you are happy as a clam with your transmission, don't go looking for problems. Just enjoy your car.
    So, did anyone buy an ES330 with Nav from Ray Catena on or before June 30?
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    The 2005 Windom (the ES 330 in Japan) is up on Toyota's Japanese website. It clearly shows the changes coming to the ES in a few months for 2005. Some quick observations:

1. By the look of the headlights it seems like they may have the swiveling projector beams.
    2. More chrome on the grille.
    3. Round foglights.
    4. Different air intake in lower front bumper.
    5. Thin chrome strip above rear license plate.
    6. Redesigned taillights (which may be LED, it's hard to tell).
    7. Lighter wood with the ivory interior.
    8. Steering wheel radio controls.

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/Windom/exterio- r/index.html
  • b4catsb4cats Member Posts: 5
    Just purchased a new 2004 ES 330 with options PM, WU, and Z1.

MSRP $33444.00
    Purchase Price $29988.00 (89.6% of MSRP)
    Processing Fee $129.50
    Total minus TT&L $30117.50
  • cpa4ucpa4u Member Posts: 136
    Was this the Lexus dealer south of town or the one north? Also, what is the Z1 option? Did they still have very many 330's in stock? I live in Ky about an hour from Nashville and am planning to shop the 330's soon.

Thanks
    Rick
  • b4catsb4cats Member Posts: 5
    CPA4U,
       I bought from the dealer southside of town.(Brentwood) The Z1 option includes trunk mat, cargo net, and wheel locks. They have plenty of 330's in stock.
  • cpa4ucpa4u Member Posts: 136
    did you have to haggle with them very much to get the final price? I have only had one email exchange with the internet sales mgr, but he wasn't anywhere near that much off MSRP so far.
  • respected_entrespected_ent Member Posts: 1
    I just made a final deal on the phone with a dealership here in TX that will put me $38 below invoice price on a incoming (today at 11am) 2004 Silver/light charcoal ES 330, Premium Pkg. 1, window tinting ($250 value)

MSRP: $33,654 (without the tint)
    Invoice price: $30,156 (without the tint)
    final price: $30,118 (with the tint: $30,368)
    Drive-out price = $32,505.04

I tried to get the $750 cash rebate deal for new college graduate, but since I am not one for the last 2 years, I don't qualify for the program. Anyhow, I think this is a pretty good deal. I should be able to pick up the car this weekend.
  • slvajonesslvajones Member Posts: 14
    Is it possible to purchase a 2004 ES 330 below invoice in the Sacramento California area? Cardirect can get this for 200 over invoice in that area, so I'm wondering if one could do better on their own. Any recommendations for a good dealer/salesperson in this area, or a town close by, would be very much appreciated. Please email me. Email is in my profile. Thanks. :-)
This discussion has been closed.