Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• Options
    lamikellamikel Member Posts: 19
    On my limited the XM was an extra 449.00
  • Options
    I love my car limited), but it is hard to get pass the Lexus/Toyota brand names. I wanted the new GS, but when I actually seen the car for some reason I liked the Avalon better at the time. Now my neighbor bought a new GS which leaves me wondering.
  • Options
    just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    wondering about what?? You have to satisfy yourself, not anyone else. Don't get hung up on a label. Go for what you know in your heart after comparing everything what is the better car for you and family if you have one. Don't buy a label to impress anyone, those who are, are only jealous, so why impress them. Now make your decision.
  • Options
    treynardtreynard Member Posts: 12
    I'm considering buying a new '05 Avalon Limited ... but first I have to get a better price than I've been offered thus far. I'm also concerned about "bugs" or defects that often plague new models. The demo I sat in had a loose piece of trim on the dash, the cover for the radio didn't open & close smoothly and the sales rep could not get the remote start to work. Minor problems. My biggest concern is the 5 speed auto transmission that some say has hesitation issues. I drove a Limited, and didn't notice any hesitation at all. The car is fast! Anybody else concerned about these issues? T Reynard
  • Options
    ski1003ski1003 Member Posts: 41
    I own a 2005 Avalon XL and am very happy with the interior. My wife preferred it over the other types we looked at . I don't have a link to a picture.
  • Options
    swardsward Member Posts: 20
    I would try another dealer for a second opinion. If you have already taken delivery on your Limited, you will obviously have to go through a dealer to get the Toyota XM installation. However, my dealer told me that the JBL integrated XM system is available only through the distributor, which is why I ordered it that way. Personally, I find that hard to believe. I also think that if Toyota builds a car with a stereo that will accept the Toyota XM add on that they would pre wire for XM to the trunk, which is where the receiver is located. I would also think that they would make the system available to the dealers, and not just the distributors. If your car hasn't been built, your best bet is to have it built with or distributor modified for the XM package. You might e-mail Toyota about this question, also.

sward
  • Options
    swardsward Member Posts: 20
    See my post number 2861. I have seen the light gray, and the picture in 2853 is not it, so it must be the graphite, which is the only color I've not seen in person. The light gray is about the color of the lower dash and door panels in the graphite interior shown. It also appears to be the color in the interior views of the Limited on the Toyota website. There is an especially good view of the light gray interior under "feature demos" in the section on "heated and ventilated front seats".

sward
  • Options
    hawk1eyehawk1eye Member Posts: 61
    Hi, Lamikel. How do you like the remote starter. Someone said it was hard to use. What do you think? I put one on the Cadillac that I,m replacing with the Limited and absolutely love it. Here in Iowa I couldn't live without it in the winter. Hawkeye
  • Options
    Thanks, Perico. That's fine with me, just so I can get it done. I've never had a black car before and since I am a Iowa Hawkeye fan I thought it would be fun to go with the teams colors. Whenever I've seen black and gold cars over the years I thought they looked great. Thanks, again. I will keep an I out for the photos. Hawkeye
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat - it's open mic night, so come and discuss whatever's on your mind.

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    clipper1clipper1 Member Posts: 70
    You should have shopped around and/or waited.

Lmtd's are going for $1,500 over INVOICE! in central FL
  • Options
    buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    I'm not going to speak to your purchase decision other than to say I would conclude you had to be unimpressed by the Lexus so as to purchase an Avalon. Cosmetically there may be similarities. But rear wheel drive Lexus with all wheel drive availability, 6 speed tranny just to quickly name a few factors which are not available on the front wheel drive Avalon. With the nameplate meaning nothing you are still speaking of two very distinquishable types of driving. Ability to afford and type of driving a person does would have been my criteria.
  • Options
    3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    No, each exterior color comes with certain interior colors. I had a dealer xerox a page from his color chart book showing the choices. Here are the choices (for XLS & Limited)-

EXTERIOR INTERIOR
    Blizzard Pearl - Ivory / Light Gray / Graphite
    Titanium Metallic - Light Gray / Graphite
    Phantom Gray Pearl - Ivory / Graphite
    Desert Sand Mica - Ivory
    Cassis Pearl - Ivory / Light Gray
    Silver Pine Mica - Ivory / Light Gray
    Blue Mirage Metallic- Ivory/ Light Gray / Graphite
    Indigo Ink Pearl - Ivory / Graphite
    Black - Ivory / Light Gray / Graphite

The Graphite is a Medium Gray
    There is also a dark gray called Charcoal that comes only on the Touring, I believe.

As for the wood colors, I'm not sure but I think Ivory and Light Gray come with light wood, Graphite with the dark wood. Anyone else know for sure?
  • Options
    jnazarajnazara Member Posts: 10
    one is smooth looking,the other somewhat "grainy"
    looking,neither in my opinion looks good,cheap lookin

'
    '
  • Options
    pricecutterpricecutter Member Posts: 49
    I'm having a problem using the garage door opener on my LTD. Followed the Manual and (1) placed my hand transmitter 1 to 3 inches away from the surface of the Homelink and (2) simultanously pressed and held the hand transmitter button along with the Homelink.
    Manual says that after above 1 and 2, the Homelink light should change from a slow to a rapid flash. That didn't happen.
    What did happen is when I pressed the homelink button, the green light indicator turned red.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
  • Options
    lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    Mine is the Limited with ivory interior and the light wood. I am not crazy about the light wood, but liked the ivory interior. Love the car so far. I liked the interior of my 2000 Avalon better, but this one rides and drives like a dream. I'm trying to decide whether or not to get the gold package. My dealer said it is not available yet.?? Others are getting it, so maybe it depends on the dealer.
  • Options
    Try again, this time make sure the battery is on the opposite side of the windshield, meaning facing you and to your right side, once it starts flashing faster just hold it for about ten seconds until it is rapidly flashing and see what happens, it worked for me on my second try. Good Luck
  • Options
    jackevejackeve Member Posts: 5
    Our opener would not program using that method either, so we tried the "Rolling Code" method that is explained on p 248 of the owners manual and that programed the Homelink just like they said. We took the car out of the garage and I pushed the "learn" button on the opener itself and my wife pushed the Homelink button in the car immediately after the learn button was activated. Two pushes on the Homelink didn't work but three did. Hope this works for you.
  • Options
    jsgnfwtxjsgnfwtx Member Posts: 17
    If you are already an XM subscriber, additional units are 6.99/mo. However, with the Toyota installed unit, activation and 1 yr subscription is included. Are you aware that the monthly subscription for the 1st XM tuner goes up to 12.99 the first part of April? You can lock in the current 9.99/mo at this site: rateplan.xmradio.com
  • Options
    beetle1beetle1 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the input - according to the dealer the car is scheduled to be built next week - he will advise Friday on which day. Being just 70 miles from Georgetown, KY it is next day delivery. I told him I would pick it up but Toyota won't let me. Gegtting anxious!
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosconsumer/0503/16/G01-118415.htm

Wow even the Detroit News likes the new Avalon. Usually they are very pro domestic.
  • Options
    RONN, You have to be happy to read this link..http://www.latimes.com/classified/automotive/highway1/la-hy-avalon16mar16,1,92320.st- ory
    When I first posted here, I said the New Avalon reminds me of the First Lexus, and this Avalon is as good if not better and for a lot less. So Ronn, this is a great report and how we believed from the get go. In my opinion the sales will be excellent this year, for many reasons, of course the overall quality of the car, design, power etc., and the bargain price in MHO. So for those of you who paid the MSRP, don't feel bad, this car is worth every penny and I believe you will see the base price take a minimum 500 dollar increase for the 06 if not before. Toyota has a winner and so are we. I LOVE MY CAR, IT JUST TAKES OFF SO SMOOTHLY, everything works like a charm, and like I thought, Toyota's introduction for this new car has no bugs, at least not on mine, so am very happy I didn't wait till next year. This one is a keeper for a few years.
  • Options
    gschultz3gschultz3 Member Posts: 134
    I purchased an Avalon LTD expecting that the reputation of Toyota and the dealer will help to alleviate any problems with a new model. Go for it!
  • Options
    ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    Light gray comes with dark wood..That's what mine has with black outside.
  • Options
    I actually do alarms/remote starts, so every car Ive owned had it. But the Avalon's remote start is to me kind of dumb, but I guess Toyota has its reasons. For instance when you remote start the vehicle it runs fine, but as soon as you unlock or grab the handle the car turns off, so you have to get in and restart the car to drive.
  • Options
    Just me...thanks for sharing your post. I am so glad you believe in this car as much as I do. I wish Edmunds would hurry up and add the reviews we wrote.
    By the way, may I ask where you are from? I am from Roanoke Virginia...you may have not heard of it? I still can't decide on the XM radio. The dealer here told me it was very involved....
  • Options
    pricecutterpricecutter Member Posts: 49
    Thanks Jackeve and Justme. I will give your suggestions a try and see if I have any success.
    I bought a new battery, as the manual suggested, to make sure that I have sufficient power.

Again, thanks.
  • Options
    See Ronn. What those of us knew from the start about this car because we did all the research, the reporters are now stepping up to the plate, not regurgitating and repeating the line of the first group that never sat in or drove the car. So what we knew the=they are now reporting, even this guy in Detroit that has to be a blow to GM and Ford. Read this link as I know you will. http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosconsumer/0503/16/G01-118415.htm
    I'm not happy seeing the domestics getting creamed especially since I hold bonds in GM, but they are always late to the plate and a base behind the Japanese. Ford and GM are building more quality cars, but overall they just don't match up even though they could if they became more creative. The Ford 500 and it's brother Mercury should have had a more powerful engine on it's introduction, so they lost the ball. Even if it did the Avalon is still IMHO a better all around car, and they would still have to play catch up. Well maybe they will wake up. In the interim Ronn and the rest of you who did your homework, my hats off to you all. Happy motoring.
  • Options
    I have a GS 400 already, and I do love the power that car has, But also VERY surprised with the power of the Avalon. My wife has a ES 330 and that car doesn't compare to the Avalon, now she's mad. I had been looking at the new GS for a while and in the pics it looks beautiful, with a bunch of features, but when i seen it at the dealer it looks like a BMW/Infinity/Maxima. The back of the car is really ugly to me. I guess everything I wanted in a car the Avalon does have, instead of trading in my lexus i kept it so Im good.
  • Options
    Hi Ronn. Trust me I believe in our Avalon as much as you, and this is my fourth one. I traded in the 04 for this one, that's how taken I am with it. We bought a Lexus quality car for a lot less money, and we knew it. I live in SC near Hilton Head Island. Of course I heard of Roanoke, Virginia. Let me know if you ever come down to visit our neck of the woods. I would also like to see our reviews, but they said in about 2 weeks, but in the meantime the reporters are beginning to do the honest reviews for us. I decided against the XM, I listen to my CD's for music, and with a six changer, I have many hours of listening enjoyment before changing them. Other than trips back North maybe twice a year, I couldn't see spending the extra initial money, and than the monthly charge. NPR works well for me when I want the news. We always have to make choices, and I didn't want that on my trunk. Perhaps when I buy a new one, they will be engineered where the wire isn't protruding from the trunk to the antenna, but placed on the rear roof of the car with the wires hidden in the roof line, and the antenna securely attached..
  • Options
    Your welcome, let us know how you made out.
  • Options
    Thanks Just Me...I sent this to several friends who are big on Lexus and Audi...
    RONN
  • Options
    It's a safety feature so no kid or thief can drive off with it. It makes good sense. It doesn't take a second to restart the car and it's warmed up for you. So Toyota in the interest of safety and liability thought it through wisely, IMHO.
  • Options
    If your still wondering where the NAV system is located. Its in the trunk on the left side under the carpet. The updates come as new CD's from toyota. not as your salesman told you. Im going to have my friend at PAC cut into my NAV wires to give me video input to the NAV screen for DVD, Rear camera. WWW.PAC-AUDIO.COM
  • Options
    Hilton Head is a great place.... Don't get that way often, but maybe in the future. I am a concert musician...organist for a huge Methodist Church here.I give concerts throughout..never been in that area for one.
    I have decided not to get the XM. After much thought today, I can listen to CD's as I do most of the time.. I am afraid they might screw up something..The car is so knew to the dealers, they are still learning.
  • Options
    Thanks, Lamikel. Glad to hear it is OK, except for the restart feature. Hawkeye
  • Options
    I also decided not to add the spoiler on the back..I have been told that if they are not put on right, you can have problems with leaks and rust. The car looks great without it, and I can save the extra money. They are not cheap!!!!
  • Options
    mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    "I love my car limited), but it is hard to get pass the Lexus/Toyota brand names. I wanted the new GS, but when I actually seen the car for some reason I liked the Avalon better at the time. Now my neighbor bought a new GS which leaves me wondering."

I stopped at a Lexus dealership today and of course a salesman approached me. He asked if I was driving the new 05 Avalon. He then asked to look it over and boy was he impressed, especially when I told him what I paid for it. Said it was going to give them a lot of competition. By then 3 more salesmen had come out and they all thought it was a great car, especially for ther money.

MikeS.
  • Options
    These "issues" you bring up have been discussed to death, please do a search and you'll find a # of posts.
  • Options
    Thanks Ronn. As far as the spoiler, as I thought about it I decided when cleaning and waxing the car I didn't want to have these little hidden areas where I could catch a finger or hard to clean around the angles. Besides like you, the car looks elegant and refined to me as is. I think you made a wise choice about the XM Ronn. Let me know if you do come this way one day, I will show you around.
    Well I'm off to count sheep. It's amazing how happy we are with our Avalon, like kids with toys, but this is a lot more money and quality we can be proud of. Goodnight Ronn.
  • Options
    dajabdajab Member Posts: 35
    Hi, ronn. dajab here. Do you have pictures that you can post? Here in SoCal all lt gray interiors come with the light wood, identical to the wood in the ivory interiors, and identical to the wood in the pictures on many of the Toyota Avalon web sites. But, perhaps there is hope yet that our Cassis Pearl Avalon LTD (now on order) may yet come with the dark wood. (That color exterior only comes in the light interior colors, unless you get the touring edition.)

Thanks.
  • Options
    "I purchased an Avalon LTD expecting that the reputation of Toyota and the dealer will help to alleviate any problems with a new model. Go for it!
    "

My thought exactly! I didn't hesitate to buy the first model year.

MikeS.
  • Options
    I've asked in this forum earlier but nobody came up with an answer, so here it is.

I stopped at a Lexus dealer today beacause the Visualogic A-1000 & A-2000 model of DVD systems show an 05 Lexus RX330 with Ivory and a couple more Lexus models and 2 or 3 Toyota models as having the same Visualogic part number.

The service manager at Lexus had 1 of his guys pull the headrest out of an 05 RX330 and it plugged right into my 05 Avvy, the color even matched up perfectly.

I called my audio store had them order me one. Should be here in a couple days and then the kid will again have a DVD player to keep her amused. 3 yr olds get bored pretty quick :)
  • Options
    carzakcarzak Member Posts: 12
    First of all, let me thank you all for the excellent information provided by this forum. I recently bought a 2005 Avalon -blizzard pearl XL with ivory interior.

Although I love this car but I have noticed a rumbling sound from the right rear wheel which only happens when I drive off from a parked position. If I stop and start again with the engine running this noise is not audible. But if I turn off the engine , and then restart, shift up to the drive position, and drive off this rumbling sound occurs for the first 4-5 wheel rotations.

Has anybody heard this noise. Can anybody suggest how I should addresss this problem as this noise has been present from the time I first drove offf the dealer's lot. Does anybody have any suggestions what could the cause of this problem?
  • Options
    clipper1clipper1 Member Posts: 70
    Correct: the dark faux-wood ONLY comes with Graphite Interior (which is really quite light grey -- the early brochure shows Graphite as a darker interior) -- Toyota rep admits it is incorrect -- (Graphite is really a light grey)) and Charcoal (only on the Touring.
  • Options
    bperrymanbperryman Member Posts: 15
    I have an Avalon Ltd and have exactly the same noise. I just had it in today and the service rep heard the noise as you described. I will let you know what they conclude when I take it in for the appt.
  • Options
    bperrymanbperryman Member Posts: 15
    They were done by the dealership.
  • Options
    dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    I have not experienced this noise. In fact, I have had no issues at all with rattles or phantom noises since taking delivery of my Limited two weeks ago. I will note that this is the first time in my last three purchases that I have not had to bring my new car right back to service for sqeekes and rattles. As I drove my new Acura out of the dealership a few years ago, there was a noise coming from the pillar. Turns out that an extra large bolt was floating around - not a good first impression. The day after I took delivery of my Lexus GS, I had to return to the dealer to have rattles in my moonroof fixed.
  • Options
    gschultz3gschultz3 Member Posts: 134
    I am not sure if I understand this. I'm interested in DVD. Assume the headrest only contains the LCD? Where do you put the DVD player? Is Visualogic the name of the third party who sells DVD players ...... whats A-1000 or A-2000?