Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Care and Maintenance

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You'd best consult a professional detailer on that, because the type of surfaces vary in the interior. Rubbing on things might make it worse. But these guys know all the tricks for eye appeal. I have the same problem as you regarding the seat belt. I'll talk to my guy and let you know if anything interesting comes out of it.

As for the Swifter, the problem is that a piece of sand or tiny pebble can get embedded in the pad. Still that was a freaky accident. If you gently go 90 degrees against the scratch, can your fingernail catch it? Is it that deep?
  • sas099sas099 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the reply. I'm really curious to hear what your guy says. The plastic piece that the swifter slips on is what scratched my dash. I'm not sure if my fingernail will catch or not. I'll have to check. My dash is starting to look chalky so I'm thinking of taking it to the dealer.

Keep me posted and thanks again.
  • twmarktwmark Member Posts: 41
    Does anyone know whether or not you can conserved your brake pads by downshifting the auto-manual transmission when slowing down? Does this do any damage to the car?
    Not necessarily "damage" but depending upon the speeds you shift down and the frequency, you will only be placing wear on your transmission's internal parts rather than your brake pads.

And since brake pads are so much cheaper, it's better to use them for braking.

The general rule (and there are a few exceptions) is this:

Don't downshift yourself unless you really need that lower gear for something.

Coasting to a stop light isn't one of those 'somethings"

...but engine braking while going down a long steep hill, that makes sense to downshift an automatic, so as to not overheat the brakes.

So, no, don't downshift manually in everyday driving....just when you really need it, like long downhills or towing something uphill.
  • sa_venkatesansa_venkatesan Member Posts: 2
    My 2003 Acura TL has just reached 30000 miles limit and I got a quote from local acura dealerships to do the maint for around $480. I want to take care of my Acura well but I don't want to get ripped off. Any idea, if this is normal? From what I heard, they are replacing some filters, (air filter, pollen filter, oil filter etc) and doing brake fluid flush. That's all.

I guess I could do this at any other shop $150. I don't know about the mechanics of the car, so I can't do it by myself. Any suggestions for this in DFW area?

Thank you for your time and for keeping this forum great.
    Thank you for the response. The car has a 48 month/48k warranty. I am leasing the car for 48 months, so (without sounding selfish) I don't really care what happens after my lease ends. My questions are the following: Do I conserve brakes by downshifting using the automanual? Does downshifting the automanual automatically apply the brakes?

Thanks.
    Yes, the brakes might be conserved somewhat by downshifting the automatic...it might make sense to do that on a long long downhill, but not in ordinary stop and go driving.
  • mchallmchall Member Posts: 8
    I just got 2002 Acura TL back from the shop for its safety inspection. 107,000 miles, had them check all the brakes figuring it was probably time. Guess what, brake pads still had 50% left. So if brake pads last for 200K miles, why would you bother downshifting to conserve brakes? Seems like a waste of energy. Better to not ride your :D brakees...just my opinion and experience.
    That sounds great! You have over 100K and still no brake change. Do you ride mostly highways? What is you average miles per gallon.

I know it doen't make sense to ride the brakes but I am leasing the car. After 48 months I will return the car to the dealer. If I wear down my brake pad before the 48 months is up then I will have to pay for the brakes to be replaced.

It seems like sometimes when I downsift using the automanual I feel the brake pedal go down very slightly. Thus I was curious if anyone knew that when the car is downshifted with the automanual if the brakes are automatically applied.
  • herbert11herbert11 Member Posts: 22
    I just bought a new 06 TL. I have long been accustomed to changing the oil in my cars every 3m miles.

The salesman at Acura told me that they use a new high grade synthetic in the Acura and it only needs to be changed every 12m miles.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I would like to hear some opinions.
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    Many different and varying opinions on this issue. There are folks who change their oil religiously every 3k miles. Some listen to the dealer. Some follow the maintenance guide in the owner's manual. Others follow the MID for their visits at the Service Department. Really depends on which train of thought you want to go with IMHO.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Synthetic oils do not require as frequent of a change, but the filters do.
    If you choose to go 12K between oil changes, you may want to change the filter a little more often.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    This is what Mobile says about changing your oil filter if you use their extended life synthetic.

Question?
    "If I go longer between oil change intervals, do I need to change my oil filter more frequently? Or do I need a special filter?"

Answer-
    "Continue to change your oil filter when you change your engine oil. Special filters, or more frequent oil filter changes are not required."

It would not hurt anything to change the filter - but IMO that is 75% of the work (and 85% of the mess) of changing the oil - why bother with doing it or why not just do a complete oil change.

What does Mobile have to say about your warranty?

"If your vehicle is covered by a warranty, follow the vehicle's oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner's manual. Proper maintenance practices, including frequently checking the oil level to ensure that the appropriate amount of oil is present, are required to ensure effective performance"

I think the Acura TL manual says synthetic is OK to use - but you still need to change it - the same as regular oil. Its right in black and white - read the manual.

I have nothing against synthetic oil because I use it - I look at it this way - I could use regular oil and follow the computer message/owners manual in the car and most likely be fine - I choose to use synthetic - and follow the computer/ owners manual - synthetic is a margin of safety.

What good does it do to save $100 on oil changes over 2-3 years and get stuck with a repair bill because Acura voided your warranty because you did not properly maintain the car? (per Acura's standard)
  • greggrobgreggrob Member Posts: 16
    I have an 06'TL and I complained about the dash fade. They told me that Acura has a product that took them a year to develop that you apply to the dash. It comes in a spray can, you get it for free in the parts department. The detailers at the dealership use this stuff. Before the product was developed, the service manager said they would replace the dash when people complained. They sent me to the parts department and I got my conditioner for free. You get it free for the life of the car. It some how raises the tiny nap so it stands up straight. When you rub your hand or wipe the dash with a cloth, it changes the nap direction and looks scratched. Don't use anything else on the dash. The reason for using that material on the dash is, it cuts down on the glare when driving into the sun. You don't see the reflection of the dash in the windshield.
    It may work on the side door scratches too, from your seat belt. I haven't tried it, but I know what you're talking about, I have the same problem. Again, they're not going to tell you about this spray becuase they have to give it away.
    The product to use to solve the problem is called "Vynle/Leather Protectant by Honda". It's five bucks a can and you can get it at your Acura Dealership. Wipe on with a sponge and leave it alone. Works fantastic.
  • sas099sas099 Member Posts: 13
    Fantastic! Thanks for the update. I'm heading to the dealership in the next week or so. I really hope this works.

THANKS AGAIN!
    Yeah, no problem. I guarantee you it will work and you'll be happy. Good Luck.
  • dan4125dan4125 Member Posts: 12
    I have had my dash replaced once already and the new dash started to fade . I have used the product fom Honda but the best product I have found is called Vinylex and can be bought at Pep Boys. Its lasts and lasts I have had it on for over 6 months without any fading.
  • jdelabrejdelabre Member Posts: 57
    The 06 TL has a percentage gauge to tell you when it needs to be changed. Mine was changed at 4600 miles. I would NEVER go 12,000 miles. I use to do it at 3,000. But I asked many people, and they said to go by the cars computor. It monitors your driving habits and goes by that to determine when it should be changed. :)
  • jane111jane111 Member Posts: 7
    I just brought the 2006 TL and the dealer offered to put an applicate on Exterior and Interior that prevents paint problems and leather cracking. Is it best to get it done at dealer and will prevent leather cracks/paint issues? Are there other shops that could offer better protections?

thanks
    Nick
    You shouldn't really need any of that. Just have someone put a coat of good wax on the car maybe twice a year and condition the leather yourself for about a $20 bottle.
    Thats what I think. The paint on Acura's should be fantastic. Just take care of it. I see so many cars with brake dust 1/8" thick. Its sick. I even have a separate bucket in which I clean the tires, wheels, and wheel wells first. Then use top quality soap for the body. NEVER go to a carwash with brushes or super high pressure wash. Treat your car like yourself. And park as far away as possible. And keep your weight down by walking a little. 2 many lazy people. SORRY :mad:
  • carteachcarteach Member Posts: 179
    I had a 2002 Saab 9-5 with 54K on it. When I sold it, it still smelled like new and had an incredible shine to it. It was garaged. And I have an old Subie that I often used in bad weather here in CT. I had the car detailed twice in its life. I'm wondering why the exterior retained it shine. When it was new, I washed it myself and of course dried it. That was during a summer. Never waxed it by the way.

Now I have my new TL. Do you think that hand washing is easier on the car than a car wash? Could that be the secret to my Saab's appearance. Or could it be that it didn't get it washed all that often?

Just want to keep my anthracite looking the way it does now.
    I NEVER go to automatic washes. Here north of chicago they have indoor car washes where they hand wash and hand dry for $8. A total job includes windows in & out, vacuum, tire dressing, dry, etc for $18. Otherwise I always hand wash and dry and wax 1-2 times a year. I always keep mt wheels clean and the tires dressed. Even if the car is a little dirty, and I don't feel like washing it or don't have time, I wipe down the wheels with hot water and dress the tires with the best dressing- Meguiars Endurance High Gloss Tire Gel. I don't have a garage and all brands of cars and truck I have owned always looked new. (NO DENTS OR SCRATCHES)With a great shine. Use a high quality car wash, NOT DISH SOAP. It will strip the wax and leave your paint open to all elements!!! The car washes also re-cycle the water and use cheap soap. Find an indoor place where they hand wash and dry it. And use quality soap and a regular hose. Not re-cycled water. NO high pressure. It forces water where it doesn't belong. :)
    I just visited Chicago this past Thanksgiving.
    My uncle knows how insane I am when it comes to keeping my cars clean, so he brought me to his car wash to show it off.
    It was one of those indoor places and I was very happy to see the level of service you get for such little money.

The cars line up into what becomes a long line, but the vehicles move through quickly and they do a fantastic job.
    I wish we had more of those around here where I am.

One thing to watch though, is the towels they use.
    I asked the guy, and they are using normal, everyday cotton bath towels.
    I prefer a nice micro-fiber, myself.
    I'm a bit of a heretic when it comes to washing and waxing cars.

My basic theory is that ANYTIME you work the paint, it is abrasive in nature...whether you wash it, wax it or whatever.

So what I do (and which has worked great for me) is that I have the car hand washed only but not all that frequently, and I have some wax applied BY HAND, by a careful person (not some over-caffeinated guy with a dirty rag), about TWICE a year.

And that's it.

So my theory is "lay off the paint" as much as you can. Every time you lay into it with hand or buffer you are taking clear coat or paint off the car---it is inevitable.
    Your better off doing waxing yourself. Using the proper wax and micro fiber towels. Buffers do wear off clear coat. Especially on curves and corners, any surface that isn't flat. Use top quality car wash, wax, micro fiber towels. Use California blade first, then micro fiber towel. BE CAREFUL with the California Blade. Use a low pressure hose like at home. Use a separate bucket and wash mit for the wheels and tires than the body. :shades:
    I know we could go on and on here for days... but I believe that washing a car by hand, using a microfiber mitt and clean water for rinsing is FAR more beneficial than not washing all that often.

The crap that lands on a car's finish sticks to it.
    It comes in rain, road debris, bird droppings, brake dust, the list goes on and on.
    Over time, this stuff literally eats right into the finish.
    This is where the occasional claying also comes in handy.

Wash with a ph-balanced car wash, using the right materials and common sense.
    I'd rather wash my car 4 times a week, than only twice a year.
    With the right car wash solution, the abrasive factor is minimal, far more so than not washing the junk off of the finish every so often.

And be careful with those jelly blades.
    Yes, I own one, but they can and do hold debris and abrasives, and yes, they will eventually scratch.

If you need to dry the car quickly, I like the leaf blower option.
    Blow the car off and then touch up the water droplets with a microfiber weave towel.
    Sounds crazy, but it works.
  • gammachakagammachaka Member Posts: 5
    Were you happy with your XPEL clear bra? I am considering it for my White TL
  • tomzieglertomziegler Member Posts: 14
    My 4 year old found a pen in the back seat and drew two lines on the middle area of the back seat. Any ideas on how to remove the stains? I tried windex and magic eraser and no luck.

I don't want to leave a stain where the ink is...

Thanks
    The leather on my steering wheel cover on the 06 TL is showing wear. What would you recommend for a good replacement leather steering wheel cover?

Thanks again
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    Since it's an 06, couldn't you get it replaced under warranty?
    I am not sure...is it normal wear and tear?
    On the driver seat I see little pieces of leather (kind of like fuzz on a sweater) coming up. Is this normal for Acura TL 06 cars?

Thanks
    On the driver seat I see little pieces of leather (kind of like fuzz on a sweater) coming up. Is this normal for Acura TL 06 cars?

I'm getting it on my 06 MDX as well.
    Drives me NUTS!
    Not leather though, just fill from the seat cushion, coming up through the perf holes.
  • new2carsnew2cars Member Posts: 71
    I have taupe interior in my 07 TL. I had scotchguard applied to the mats and the carpet but I'm really concerned about stains since the color is so light. My auto detailing guy suggested clear vinyl plastic mats to put on top of the beige mats. It sounds a little tacky. Does anyone have any ideas?
    My friend has them in his Lexus.
    His are completely clear and almost 100% un-noticable.
    Get good ones, and they're not too bad.
    The other option would be a color matched all-season mat designed specifically for your car.
    Acura sells them, and the WeatherTech ones are nice as well.

WeatherTech Mats

I just bought a trunk liner from these guys and it fits/looks awesome.

Scotchguard is great for seats, headliners, etc... but it will never hold up to the abuse floor mats take.
  • new2carsnew2cars Member Posts: 71
    Thanks, scottm123! That sounds encouraging. Since I live in So. Cal. and don't venture to snowy territory, I think the clear vinyl might be best. At most, I'll bring in sand from the beach but I can just shake off the mats. Where did your friend get his clear mats? I looked on www.calcarcover.com and they only have them for the 2006. I assume that the 2006's will fit the '07s.

As for the trunk liner, I've been shopping for one too. Thanks for the link! There was a disclaimer that the liner will not fit with the navigation models. Is that true?
    The clear mats, he got from Exactmats.com
    He paid $60- for front and rears, and they sit right on top of his existing mats.
    You need to call them and tell them the exact model car you have, and they custom cut them for you.

As for WeatherTech and the disclaimer...
    I didn't see that, but if it's there, it's most likely correct.
    Their customer service is awesome, so if you want more info, I suggest giving them a quick call.

At the time when most of the G owners were wanting them, the link only showed a picture of a dog sitting in the back of a SUV.
    Someone called them and they were very helpful in confirming the correct model for our car.
    They could very easily point you in the right direction.
    I have an '06 TL. Lately when I've tried to use the bluetooth, it has trouble recognizing the names of the people whose numbers I've stored. Also, when I'm talking, my friends have told me there is a crackling noise only when I'm speaking. Has this happened to anyone else? I plan to bring the car to the dealer and would like some backup if anyone else has had this experience.
    Bluetooth in my 06 MDX (Same System) has been rock solid.

Sometimes, dropping and then readding the phone to the system helps.
    Have you tried that?
    No. Actually Verizon paired the phone up. So I guess I'll actually have to read the manual. :)
  • tl_2007stl_2007s Member Posts: 34
    The dealer where I got my TL is selling this package called Car Care System by Hendrick. It is for 5 years; interior and exterior protection. In addition to initial cost, there is a re-applying fee twice a year. Is this a sound investment?
    Thanks,
    What exactly does it include? And how much is it?
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Experience would note that if the dealer offers it, no it is not a sound investment for you (for the dealer, yes. Especially given the 2x yearly "re-applying fee." That should set off loud sirens right there. Residual income for the dealer for the next 5 years!!!).

Sounds like exterior wax/polish and interior "Scotchgard." Of course I write this not knowing details or price. Even so, visit zainostore.com for some great products that, more than likely, will be not nearly as expensive as the dealers scam, I mean "Car Care System" (OK, I'm wicked cynical...). Zaino ain't cheap, and you'll have to supply the labor, but the stuff is goooood...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

It is called "3 Way Car Care System"
    1) exterior paint protection "with invented hard shell"
    2) Interior fabric protection with Banoyl
    3) vinyl and leather conditioning
    Cost is around $ 750 for 5 years. + around $ 160 twice a year to reapply this protection.
    "Cost is around $ 750 for 5 years. + around $ 160 twice a year to reapply this protection."

So, ~$470/yr to wax your car (w/$750 up front, non-refundable probably?), Scotchgard and clean the interior. This does not sound like a very good deal to me. Really not good. Really.

How does it sound to the other folks here?

But, it's your car and your $$$...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Thanks to all who replied. At the end, I decided to go with Zaino products and ordered Zaino Ultimate Protection Show Car Kit. I don't mind doing the work myself. I will definitely save money and if I don't mess up with application of Zaino stuff, my car will even look better.
    Congrats, good choice. Zaino products aren't hard to work with, just time consuming. I've already put my first coat of Z5 on my Abyss Blue TL. Another coat of z5 and then a couple of Z2...

After your Z5/Z2/Z6 treatment, toss a couple coats of wax on top.
    The results are amazing.