Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Audi A3

Comments

• Options
    acorin88acorin88 Member Posts: 14
    Kurt, I meant to give you my thoughts on your second question in my earlier post, as I don't know about the first one.

With respect to the seats, I have the sport package and both my wife and I love the seats so far, absolutely no problems with discomfort of any kind on them. If I had one concern, it would be that getting out of the car, I'm constantly smashing the bolstering on the seat bottom to get out. I'm wondering about how the seats will hold up over the long term (I'm not really petit).
  • Options
    kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    Thnx acorin88. My Maxx seat bottom bosters are smaller but also get squished as I get in and out of the car. A towel and heavy t-shirt protect the seat nicely and prove easy to swap out and clean.

A previous Saturn ION's leather seat wore badly within 8 months with same kind of in-out motion (the car was a lemon for other reasons and was returned). I do not know how good Audi leather is and am leery of leather anyway.

hope someone else here will share chain info (when I bought ION / Maxx, GM had me sign documents stating my use of chains on the cars would void the warranty).
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Acorin88, nice to hear the car is performing well for you. I'm still shocked that this funky station wagon/hatch is continuing to fascinate me. That 2.0 and the DSG is such a killer combo. Of course 3 years from now DSG (or close variation) will probably be everywhere. But for now VW/Audi seem to have it dialed in. As someone mentioned before the Cayman S with DSG could be sensational... that exact car is one reason I think the GTI/A3 still exist on my radar. Buy one of those - a cheaper, fun car - and then in 2008-9 spring for a Cayman S as a second car.

Allhorizon, strangely, I've found travelling at over 90 keeps the CHP from sneaking up behind me. My only concerns then are cops sitting on the road ahead (easy to spot) and the eye in the sky (also easy to spot). I discovered this a few years ago on a big roadtrip and so far it's worked...stay ahead of johnny law and you're not gonna get one of those in the mirror "uh-oh" moments.

Kurt, if your leather went to pot after 8 months, odds are good the cloth woulda worn out faster. Again, it could be saturn uses uber-cheap leather but in general my leather lined cars have shown much less of a proclivity toward serious wear and tear than cloth ones. And it's always the left side bolster as I'm quite hard on seats when getting out of cars. Audi's leather feels pretty good (better than I'd say 85-90% of what's out there). I don't expect a big problem with fraying or wearing.
  • Options
    is probably much superior to the cheapo stuff Saturn used in the ION, whose interior has been razzed by virtually every ION reviewer I read.

Meanwhile C&D mag is raving about the A3 - saying it outdoes the GTI in some ways.

not to nag but did anyone buying their A3 have to sign a disclamer regarding chains? AWD or no, They are mandated in the passes I would like to be able to drive in winter.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    I don't have any actual knowledge... But, considering the standard tire is 225/45-17, which is the same size that is on my 325i.. I'd say chains wouldn't fit.. That is a massive tire..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    north0f49north0f49 Member Posts: 10
    Going back for my 3rd test-drive tomorrow, getting very close to doing the deal, but the following situation is an annoyance which makes me hold off...

It is about the options packaging set-up, which seems to be designed to max Audi's take while forcing the customer to pay for as many packages as possible in order to get the few things he/she really wants.

I want leather. Therefore I have to go Sport or Premium. I live in the frozen north, so that means the Cold Weather Package, to avoid that sensation of sitting on a leather-covered block of ice. I like tight cornering, so that pushes me towards Sport for the suspension. But I also like dashboard intelligence features so then I have to add the Convenience Package to get the trip computer and be able to track fuel consumption etc. although I believe this is included with Premium.

So to get the 3 simple things I really want: leather, optimal cornering, and fuel consumption read-out, I would have to go with 3 "packages", total 4500$ CAD + another 1500$ for Open Sky.

Or re-think Sport vs Premium. So, a question for anyone who has tried both - how much difference did you really feel between sport-tuned suspension and regular?

And what are the perceptions out there on the Driver Information System? I did not even notice it on the 2 A3's I drove, I do not think either one had it, but I did see something very similar on the V50 T5 I test drove and I thought it was cool and useful.

Thanks,
    Ken
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I thought the base car handled very well. I wouldn't myself opt for the sport package. If it is too soft, you can always add some suspension mods later, probably for less money.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    I sort of agree.. Plus, with all-season tires, you aren't going to be able to take full advantage of that sport suspension..

The only hang-up that I would have is the seats.. Don't you get nicer seats with the sport package?

On the other side of the equation.. (speaking in US dollars here), it will suck to pay $31K for a car, and not get everything you want, just to save $1000-$1500. I know everyone has a budget and a line they can't cross, but I've never been sorry I bought the "loaded" model.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Hey northOF49, I tried both the premium and sport models before settling on the DSG sport/convenience/winter combo you are leaning toward. I am not a "performance" driver by any means, but I did find the two packages to be noticably different at cornering ability and the sport package to its credit was not too jarring.

If you mod your vehicles, it's probably correct that you could do it yourself later for cheaper. As I have kept all my cars stock and will probably do so with my A3 as well, I wanted to "build-in" the performance. I would also second those that have pointed out the seats on the sport package - they are quite supportive and comfortable and on the style front come with very nice looking contrasting stitching.

The convenience package including the trip computer is pretty good, and we have used the computer for gas mileage, etc, but I have to say the more useful elements of the package for me have been the auto-dimming rear-view mirror and automatic lights neither of which are necessary by any means, but are nice to have.
  • Options
    allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    not to nag but did anyone buying their A3 have to sign a disclamer regarding chains? AWD or no, They are mandated in the passes I would like to be able to drive in winter.

I would address that directly to audi using their web site. Let us know what they have to say. Also, many cars that have problems with the old-fashioned thick chains can easily fit the thinner, roller-type chains.
  • Options
    Audi web site does not offer email contact. Only request of brochures and a phone number to call a "technical expert".
    I suspect they do not want to deal with SPAM that an email address would offer them.
  • Options
    Audi web site does not offer email contact. Only request of brochures and a phone number to call a "technical expert".
    I suspect they do not want to deal with SPAM that an email address would offer them.

You must be looking at a different web site than what I have. There are numerous contact links for different categories, and I have used them successfully:

accessories

warranty, service, and parts

current models
  • Options
    could be due to the browser (firefox) I use, which does strange things to some websites. thanks for links - chain query sent today.

general question: how many audi dealers in the usa (none in my immediate area)?
  • Options
    jerrybraziljerrybrazil Member Posts: 2
    After reading about 10 pgs of comments I've decided to put my 2 cents in to see if i can be of any help. My wife owns a 2002 1.8t passat and I drive a 2002 audi a6 2.7t. for all those that are waiting and raving about the golf I must tell you that the difference between audi and vw is night and day!! We can't wait to get rid of the passat, that god it was a lease i've never seen a car age so badly! the leather is cheap compared to audi's everything inside is wearing out the stearing wheel looks like it's 5 years old, the homelink fell off the visor, we were experiencing a pulsing problem with the brakes took it in and they had to replace the whole system! caliper rotors... on our next scheduled maintenance they called us and told us that our new brakes were completely worn out and needed to be replaced!!! 5000 miles later and they tried to blame us!! to top it all vw service at least here in socal sucks. Don't get me wrong, maybe we've had bad luck, I mean over all the passat is a good practical car, but there is no comparison with my a6, I mean it's a whole different car even though It's not a direct fair comparison, the audi is far far superior. Audi might not perform like a beemer but is is by far of all the germans the best dressed. meaning the interior is best!
    I drove the A3 and was blown away by the prformance and can't wait to trade in the passat. that 2.0t has almost no turbo lag which in comparison to the old 1.8t is amazing, the 1.8 was just a dud. Also as far as price difference the a3/golf, to me it's worth spending a little more for audi simply because all the service is free until 50/000 miles and that is pricelss! The maintenance on the passat made it way more expensive then if we had leased an a4 with free maintenance. Also it seems that audi tightens the bolt a couple more turns. The cabin noise in the passat at 80 is extremely loud, where as the a6 is infinitely better. so I can guarantee you that the golg on a long road trip will not bring the same confort that the A3 will offer.
    I hope this will be of help.
    cheers.
  • Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_audi_winding_down/index.htm

IDI(indirect injection) engines will be history for Audi! Audi will focus solely on direct gasoline injection engines(DGI).

Sounds like Audi is on the right track with its FSI/DSG features on the A3. These are features that make it stand out against the competition.
  • Options
    bdwellebdwelle Member Posts: 6
    I test drove an A3 the other day, and I want this car. Very nice! I love the Open Sky, but will also want a roof rack for surfboards, etc. I can see from the UK site and the Motor Trend review (http://motortrend.com/roadtests/wagon/112_0411_audi/index.html) that there is/will be a roof rack option, but I can't seem to find out if you can have the rack and Open Sky.

1) Can you install the factory roof rack with Open Sky?
    2) Can you _get_ the factory roof rack in the US? Does anyone have one?

thx!
  • Options
    From discussions on other forums, particularly with European owners, my understanding is that you can have both Open Sky and roof racks.

As for your second question, the factory rack is available as a special order only, and my understanding is that it cannot be added aftermarket (they need to drill holes in the roof prior to painting I've been told). I believe the decision to allow them to be special ordered was only made recently however, and I don't think there are any vehicles in the country with them at present.

By the way, you will not regret going with the A3 - I love it everytime I get in mine.
  • Options
    mcdonst1mcdonst1 Member Posts: 8
    Clamp on racks are available and can be ordered from the dealer. They do not require any drilling and work with Open-Sky. You can add all of the standard roof rack accessories to the clamp on rails. They look really nice as well.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    I am not a big fan of Audi/VW due to some previous (and current) experiences with the cars themselves and the corporate offices. I've always liked audis' great interiors & understated styling. The A3 is getting some great reviews. I'm impressed.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    north0f49north0f49 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the input, acorin88, stickguy, kyfdx.

Well, I bit the bullet today, and we sealed the deal. My A3 is currently bobbing on the Atlantic somewhere but when it arrives at the port of Montreal around mid-July, it will be a brilliant black 6-speed w sport, winter, and convenience packages and I popped for the Open Sky too. Can't wait, this is close to my ideal car.

Cheers,
    kc

PS - I am entertaining offers on a mint-condition 95 Civic w alloy wheels, AEM cold air intake, and DC Sports headers.... ;)
  • Options
    I know that will be great looking.. It's twin is sitting at my local Audi dealer (minus the convenience package).

Congratulations!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Way to go!

Enjoy!
  • Options
    Congrats North! You are going to love it!
  • Options
    myobmyob Member Posts: 53
    Kyfdx, I'd disagree about the A3 being overpriced vs the Acura TSX. You have to compare more than just number of features.

1. The car hits 60mph in 6.7 sec with an automatic (DSG) transmission. (reports from 6.2 to 7.0 from various other sources). The TSX auto is unsatisfying in comparison.

2. The price differential is about $4000 comparably equipped. But if you can lay off the options on the A3 it's less. I need a sunroof like I need a hole in my head.

3. The "feel" of the Audi is superior. The fun-to-drive factor was much higher for me. The TSX is a Euro accord and feels like it. Nice, but uninspiring. It felt grainy in comparison to the A3. It certainly didn't handle as well. The DSG and 2.0T makes the A3 vastly more responsive and fun to drive. Europeans charge a LOT for power increases. A non turbo 4 cylinder A3 would probably match the TSX in price.

4. The Audi Advantage is worth what, $1,000, in terms of free maintenance?

5. The TSX will probably have fewer problems and resale well, but there is a price to be paid for a low volume car that is unique on the road.

6. Most of all....PURCHASE PRICE IS NOT THE SAME AS COST TO OWN. As long as depreciation, fuel, insurance, maintenance, repairs, and tag/taxes all add up to the same number, the only difference in buying a more expensive car is interest costs. On $4,000 that works out to about $200/year. More expensive cars are usually more expensive down the line as used cars, too. Meaning, they don't depreciate more than the cheaper car in the same class. I find it is a common mistake among inexperienced buyers to look primarily at purchase price and not at total ownership costs. Usually, unless you move from one class of car to another, your costs will not vary much based on purchase price alone. Depreciation is the most overlooked cost, and that is where the A3 carries some risk vs. the TSX. The TSX resells great, and the A3 is unproven. If the A3 fails to catch on, you could take a hit. But if it does do well, you will do well as future models will see price increases. They are offered now cheaper to try to gin up interest in the model.
  • Options
    The price differential is about $4000 comparably equipped

PURCHASE PRICE IS NOT THE SAME AS COST TO OWN

The TSX will probably have fewer problems and resale well

there is a price to be paid for a low volume car that is unique on the road.

Does all this mean you should buy the TSX? Of course not...

Does all this mean the A3 is overpriced compared to the TSX? I think it does..

The only thing that keeps it close is the included maintenance on the Audi.. Past history with other Audis and Acuras, suggest that residual value and repair/maintenance costs after warranty expiration will greatly favor the TSX..

I do agree with virtually all of your points, though... I just think most of them favor the TSX from a cost analysis.

But, they are two diffferent cars.. I would buy the one that I really liked.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Based on that argument, you ought to swap your bmw for a used corolla, kyfdx. ;)
  • Options
    Interesting discussion. These were my top two choices. I drove the TSX about a month before the A3 came out and while I was impressed with it, particuarly the features included for the price, I didn't find the driving dynamics to be sufficiently better than my 1.8t Jetta, so I waited for the A3 to give it a go.

I'm sooo glad that I did, and I completely agree with myob that from a driving perspective the 2.0T & DSG blows the TSX away. That's why I would dispute that the A3 is overpriced relative to the TSX.

Objectively, I think the A3 provides a significantly improved driving experience over the TSX, which adds value to the A3. Subjectively, IMHO, from an exterior and interior styling perspective again the A3 is a clear winner over the TSX and for me personally, this brings additional value to the A3 over the TSX.

I still think the TSX is a great car and that it is a terrific value, it's just that if you enjoy the act of driving, and are thinking about an A3 or a TSX, you'll likely go for the A3.
  • Options
    I probably should... Actually, it wouldn't bother me that much.. as my wife drives it.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Oh please don't bring logic into the picture.

Please.
  • Options
    speaking of logic....

I did email Audi asking about fitting chains to the A3 for winter driving? Guess what? They don't know the answer! They referred me to their dealers, who (they imply) know more about the A3 than Audi itself does.

Make no mistake, the A3 is a neat car and the AWD version comming next year even better. Perhaps some day Audi will figure out what it is actually selling, and can tell me.
  • Options
    Thx for your replies on this - very helpful.

What kind of clamp-on racks are you referring to -- Audi racks or Thule/Yakima? Is this the type that clamps into the door rail? I would really prefer the factory longitudinal rails as it seems to be a cleaner look... Maybe you can clarify.

Is there anyone out there with a photo of an A3 with OpenSky and factory (or other) racks?

Also, can you point me to web site where I can get more info on the factory racks?

thanks!!
  • Options
    My head says TSX. From an accounting point of view it's hard to beat. But my heart would choose the A3, especially after driving them both. The turbo just gives engines that surge of power you don't get in regular 4 or even many 6 cylinder cars. The 2.0T is a big jump up from our '03 Saab 9-3's turbo, which does have some lag. I have read posts elsewhere that say the engine is underrated and probably puts out more like 225hp in reality. The seat of the pants experience I had would support that theory. The DSG? transmission was super crisp and efficient and I found the TSX auto just ok. Be sure to use the S mode on test drives of the A3, btw. It's far more performance oriented.

I've looked at buying used A4s in the past and never found anything I found attractively priced, so I would say they hold their value pretty well too. The key with them is not to load them up too much with options. The 3.0 versions top out in the 40's so they may have further to fall.

The TSX is a very competent sedan. There is just something missing with the Japanese cars. The Infiniti G35 is the only affordable "fun" one I've driven, but it is noticeably coarser and louder and runs about $34,000+ out the door.
  • Options
    bouldermaxbouldermax Member Posts: 6
    I just ordered an A3 with August delivery. I am a big user of roof racks (bikes, Yak box, skis), so this is a key topic for me. I went WITHOUT the Open Sky, because in my experience, a sunroof is seldom used when you have a roof rack - too much noise. So, I got every other option, including Bluetooth, to compensate! :)
    Apparantly, you can order Audi roof rails as a special order option for about $500, but it was unclear to me whether you have to actually special order on a custom config or just add them later through Audi service (my salesman seemed to think the latter option). However, for $500, I figured I can get an entire new (clamp-on) Yakima or Thule setup with one problem - they are not yet available. I read on the T website that they are currently looking for A3 users to test their new rack system, but no info yet on general availability. Nothing on the Y website. I figure by August, either Y or T will have something. Hope it is Y, because I love their stuff. Finally, I was told there may be other Euro clamp on options, but haven't got anything reliable info yet.
  • Options
    ralpherralpher Member Posts: 21
    Where are all the reader reviews on Edmunds? Why is there just the one ding review? I posted my review weeks ago and it still isn't up.
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    I think all of this talk comparing a TSX to an A3 misses an important point - the hatch configuration of the A3. Over 40+ years I've owned many examples of all of the bigs - MBs, BMWs, Audi, VW, Toyotas, Hondas - so there is no doubt in my mind that the TSX would be a far easier car to own and live with for the long pull. But I'm not interested in it at all - it's the 5-door configuration in the A3, combined with its other virtues, that have my attention.

We are the satisfied owners of a W203 Mercedes C sedan, and I would like a little more cargo-carrying versatility for long trips, without going to something bigger and more expensive. I wanted the Mercedes B-class, which MB has so graciously decided is OK for Canada but not OK for the US. I thought the BMW 1er would be a good choice, which BMW has also decided is OK for most of the rest of the world but not OK for the US. That leaves the A3 and perhaps the Mazda 3 or 6 five-doors, and/or the new Golf and Jetta wagon [if it ever comes], and I am no more enthused about Mazda than I am about VW - both dealer bodies in this country leave a lot to be desired. So the A3 kind of stands alone right now - haven't tried one yet, but will soon...
  • Options
    anyone here test drive the Saab 9-2X before/after the Audi A3?
    If so, how did they compare?
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We've had some software problems with getting the reviews posted, but I assure you that the team responsible for getting them posted is working as hard and as fast as it can to get them all handled. Keep watching!
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply. I'm still wondering if it's possible to get the Audi factory rack option with Open Sky -- did you investigate that possibility?
  • Options
    murmelmurmel Member Posts: 1
    I drove a 9-2X a couple weeks after driving the A3. Thanks to GM's promo, there weren't any good 9-2X's available to drive (meaning Aero and MT), so I got stuck driving a Linear AT.

Even trying to account for the inferior engine and transmission, the 9-2X just didn't measure up. The interior is incredibly dull and boring. Granted, comparing to an Audi interior, pretty much anything is going to come up short, but the 9-2X's interior falls way short of so many vehicles (for instance, the Mazda3 interior is *loads* better than the Saab's). The quality of the leather on the seats seems a great deal inferior to the Audi's, and the ergonomics are lacking. The Saab has a little more room in the cargo area, but I want a 5-door not because I need that cargo space every day, but I need it just often enough to make it worthwhile.

The driving dynamics of the Audi are better, too. The Saab does feel nice and secure at higher speeds (about 90), but it just doesn't corner and handle as nicely as the Audi, I think. Maybe it's the additional weight from the AWD, I don't know. But the Audi feels more tossable and is much more lively in quick maneuvers. And the Audi's steering is much crisper.

Even with the huge discounts you can get on a Saab right now, even if there were Aeros available in my area, I'm still going for the A3.
  • Options
    Thanks murmel. Given that and the Edmunds review of the Aero version of the Saab, I'll pass on it. Aero version sounds unpleasant for most driving given weak auto transmission and laggy turbo. Linear sounds underpowered for me.

Will keep reading and watching the A3 AWD. Too bad there are fewer Audi dealers in my area (none at all along a good length of the trips that A3 would have to handle), and I worry they could have the "nose in air" attitude that seems to affect other Euro brands selling here.
  • Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    The problem is tha 9-2X Linear and Aero are completely different cars (same for Impreza RS and Impreza WRX). You cannot draw any meaningful conclusions about Aero MT from experience with Linear AT. Only interior comment would be valid, unfortunately - Aero is a bit better, not much though.

If you want FWD with plush interior, good (but not mindblowing) kick and somewhat high price (esp. loaded), "free" maintenance for first 4 years (and then arm and leg for the rest) - go with A3. If you want a superior AWD (even future $35K A3 AWD will be Haldex, which is not the same) with a rocket engine (after you master the lag, which takes some time - I know ;) , somewhat boring interior, not many options available, and value pricing - 9-2X/WRX is the choice. It all come up to priorities.

I have owned WRX wagon for over two years now - love it, would replace it only for something costing at least $10K more (or Legacy GT), if of course I had such money to toss. If A3 and 9-2X had been available at the time of my purchase, I might be in a pickle, but probably would have stuck to WRX/9-2X, just for the powertrain and price. I can see others going with A3, though....

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    chills23chills23 Member Posts: 8
    I agree with dino001. I just traded my slightly mod'd A4 1.8T for a Brilliant Red 9-x Aero 5spd and so I am so happy I did. After driving the A3, I did not like the FWD and spinning the front wheels at launch. I "do" like Audi's AWD system better than the limited symmetrical system in the Saaburu, but then again, the A3 won't be available with AWD until next year (and at a much steeper price). The interior of thew A3 "is" nicer than the Saab's, but you definitely pay for it (the outside is nicer too IMO). You're talking about a 12k price difference after you add the options (HID, sport, open sky, DSG) and it's still FWD. The conventional manual is not the way to go with the A3. The DSG is so much better. As far as performance goes, the 9-2x is amazing: it has more power, STI like handling, AWD, but needs better rubber. The chassis is solid, but not as solid as the A3 (but that solidity may be a bad thing). After drving the A4 in Subaru/Saab kingdom (aka gravel or dirt roads), the Audi could not hold up well. It was not meant for anything but the tarmac as panels start to vibrate & the control arms loosen. And Audis are NOT cheap after the warranty (when they tend to break down).

so...it all comes down to what suits u best

A3 FWD: avail now, lacks AWD, pricey when loaded, tarmac only, nice looks (in/out), so/so reliability especially if driven hard.

A3 Q: power, AWD, same as above, even more pricey, DSG, not yet avail

Saab 9-2x: cheaper/nicer/quieter than WRX. Alot cheaper than A3. Faster than A3 and handles just as good (as long as you get 17s & better rubber). lower insurance, more reliable, more HP, aftermarket.

After so many months of debate and research, I think I made the right choice. And with that 12k I saved, I could easily get the mods on the Saab to outgun an Audi S3 and still have money left.
  • Options
    bouldermaxbouldermax Member Posts: 6
    My dealer did some more digging on what is available for the A3 from Audi. Still don't know about absolute compatibility with Open Sky, but I don't care, because I chose not to get that option. :) So, you can get factory rails for close to $500 each (ouch) AND Audi cross bars that are made for these rails - another $300 or so. $1,300 and you haven't even added toy specific parts. No thanks. Or, you can get a set of Audi clamp ons with similar cross bars for something like $400 or so (don't quote me, it didn't sink in; I was still in shock on the rail prices). I found a website that shows a (german) catalog for A3 aftermarket stuff, and.....this setup doesn't work for me because the cross bars don't span wider than the clamps, so you can't carry much. I sometimes need up to three bikes or two bikes and a Yakima box (48 in cross bars). So, I'll wait for Y or T, or something else??
  • Options
    edwardsfedwardsf Member Posts: 190
    Nice post comparing the TSX and the A3 - and the 9-3. Also, Chills post comparing the 9-2X to the A3 is also very good. I am looking at these cars (I eliminated the TL as it just is not that fun to drive) and I have now driven all except the A3 and am hoping that it fits the bill.

9-3 Arc vs. 9-2X Aero. It was hard to drive the 9-3 after the 9-2 as the 9-2 is just a better handling machine. I think their power is similar although smoother in the 9-3 and more fun in the 9-2. It was hard to sit in a 9-2 after sitting in the 9-3. The Swedes still have the style and ergos down - head and leg room are excellent.

9-2 vs. the TSX and old A4. The 9-2 really is a tossable, tight, gripping car - better than all of those others. It has more turbo lag than the Audi but I don't really think that matters. The TSX has enough juice for me but you had to really push it. The interior on the 9-2 is really not great and the leg room is not very good for a 6 foot guy. It is also a bit noisier than the other cars but not by too much. The TSX has lousy headroom - which eliminates it for me. Gas mileage stinks with the 9-2 and I understand they will insure at higher rates than the others (big HP turbo and 4x4).

9-2 vs. new A4 or A3. Assuming the A3 is a much slicker 9-2X with a bit less speed and handling, I would go with the A3 - if not based on price. A3 has better service/company, warranty, interior, looks and ride. The 9-2X Aero can be bought though, I believe, for around $23,000 (e.g. sunroof, wheels). The A3 around $30k for sport and sunroof. The A4 would be around $32k with sport and sunroof. That is a big chunk of change and may be, may be worth going back to the evil GM dealer. They just bald faced lied about the employee discount for all program and tried to claim it was only $3000 off MSRP ... today only! When I called them on it they said, "Oh, is it really 5000 off? Gee maybe you are right sir". I need to go to an old Saab dealer I guess.

Chills and MYOB or anybody, please agree or debunk anything I said, including prices. Cheers, Ed
  • Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    It may or may not be true with insurance rates. It all depends on moon's phase, solar spots and other factors, insurance companies don't know themselves. The best way to know is to call your current insurer and ask about all those cars. There can be surprises... Moreover, what works for Allstate, may not necessarily work for State Farm.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    Why no more than one consumer review for the A3? Perhaps because no readers actually own one yet, and few have even driven them.

I noticed that of 5 A3's on my dealer's lot several weeks ago (we looked over the stickers to see what options they were coming with), at least 4 of them were still there, and the 5th may have been on a test drive, it being a Saturday when I checked.

I checked another dealer's inventory online and they were either stripper manual trannys or loaded up to about $35,000 with options. None of those would appeal to me.

I got a quote of a measly $100 off MSRP from another dealer. Puhleeese. They want to make 5% over invoice on a car they're not sure will sell and that has no pent up demand like many new cars do.

The first dealer where I test drove it was told to find me at Black/Black with DSG and premium pkg and preferably no other options. The salesman said he'd tell his manager to start looking. Never even heard back from them. The salesman looked to be all of about 22 and had sweaty palms and was obviously inexperienced. I was surprised to see that at an audi dealership. Perhaps they are bringing in low cost sales staff along with the lower priced cars!

I then went and priced a Jetta as an alternative. The internet manager came back with a price OVER MSRP! Then MSRP. Then when I ignored his reply he followed up. I asked if they'd take $800 over invoice and it was immediately accepted. I passed after hearing of invoice and slightly higher buys in other areas. That tells me prices are headed DOWN since this is another new release that apparently isn't "hot".

So as of now, VW/Audi strikes me as a company that doesn't burn with desire to sell cars. Which will probably save me money since I'm prepared to wait till they stack up on lots. I don't expect invoice plus $200 on an Audi, with no holdback for the dealer, but I don't expect to pay MSRP like it's a Chrysler 300C or something, either.
  • Options
    307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Why did the A3 suddenly drop out of the sky?
    I found out about it by accident on another board and then saw one at a mall.
    Why are they not advertising it?
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Two reasons:

1. It's a low volume car
    2. viral marketing - they're purposely not dumping money into it because of no. 1
  • Options
    I can see the reviews now - except that one quite positive review (A bit afraid, by Peter) comes up at 2.0 ??? - is this dragging down the average?
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    also, they have just brought out the revised A4, which is the one they are currently spotlighting. I am seeing ads for that model all the time.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)