Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Tucson

Comments

• nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    Just checked the accessories board for the Tucson. Dash covers for 29.99, Vent visors available and the Curt trailer 2" hitch. It is slowly starting to get some accessories available.
  • carolafcarolaf Member Posts: 1
    After reading all the posts here, and trying to decide between a CRV, Toyota Matrix, or Forester, tons of research online, I did a test drive. The Tucson won hands down. I love the way the seats fold down flat, too. I did a test drive today, 200 miles, and it drove perfectly. I think somethings wrong with the CD player, it rejects CD's sometimes and not other times, but that's all. I'm glad I read about the smell online here, too, though, because that was bothersome at first. I'm very happy with my choice.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Given the privacy glass, wouldn't it be better to have a retractable rear storage area cover mounted on the top of the back of the rear seat rather than a clumsy shelf that has to be snapped in and out of position whenever it needs to be moved? Something on the order of what the Forester has?
    I believe I read a previous post that the owner simply took the shelf out and stowed it away in his garage, as it is a pain in the butt...and it has been suggested several times that a "retractable shelf" would have been a better solution for the Tuscon.

I have had several SUV's (Ford Escape and a Chev. Tracker)...both had retractable shelfs and I ended up even taking them out until it was time to trade-in.With the tinted windows, I figured it was difficult to look in that area anyway.

With a first year model, there will always be several complaints that I am sure will be addressed the following model year. I have read that a lot of the manufacturers have people that read the Edmunds forums just to get "better" suggestions for the coming model year. Whether Hyundai does this or not, I do not know...but I hope so.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Yes, that snapped-on parcel shelf is outrageous in 2004. I don't know what they were thinking when they elected to not have a retractable sliding cover.

One of the very worst features of the vehicle.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Maybe they got carried away with the fold flat seats and didn't want a retractable cargo cover hump in the way of the load floor. It's a dumb set-up though. Would have also liked to see the trip computer in this vehicle as well. If they can put it in the Elantra GT hatch they can put it in the Tucson.
  • dolomitedolomite Member Posts: 20
    Speaking of trip computer, in the manual it says you're suppose to be able to switch between different displays(current trip, average mpg, and remaining miles until empty) but all that mine does is just resets. Anyone else has this problem?
  • dovid2dovid2 Member Posts: 90
    You just need to push the button once quickly

for each change. If you are doing that and it still resets, maybe you have a sticky button?

Holding it down resets it.
  • trevoratrevora Member Posts: 2
    I have a GLS and I do not seem to be able to change anything on the trip Odometer except mileage reset. Maybe the option with the extra stuff only exists on the LS models. I have looked at the options list but see no clue to confirm this.
    I called up Hyundai today and asked them about it...they said I should of been able to switch the trip computer settings - although none the folks actually seemed be sure and what I was talking about. So they said to bring it in and they'll check it out...this is gonna be interesting.
  • gisinggising Member Posts: 2
    I bought a LX model this week. Rides good. Has a lot of good features but also lacks some minor features that would be nice. Remote release for the rear would be nice. Auto door locks when putting the car in drive would also be nice. But overall I am pleased. Thanks to everyone here for your comments prior to my purchase.
  • arkie54arkie54 Member Posts: 3
    2005 Hyundai Tucson gls fwd silver moon roof mud flaps 20950.00 + tax.
    The invoice for your vehicle with the moonroof and mud flaps is $20,084 plus the $500.00 advertising fee that is on all invoices...Total invoice...$20,584.00...so from what I can ascertain, you purchased the LX for $366.00 over invoice. Also, did you have a trade-in????? If so, give us the details.
    No trade-in. Did not want the extras, but most of their cars had them. Tried to stick me with pin stripping, tinted window extra. Told them I wasn't interested and got up to leave. They change their tone and gave me this price. Finance with my credit union. Going to sign the papers in a couple hours.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You may want to look at this CNN story about closing the deal. Good luck!

Steve, Host
    Closed the deal with no problems. Paper work man just had me sign a couple papers, then shook my hand and said good luck. The salesman was busy, so the general manager brought the Tucson in show room and went the hold car with me. Every where I turned someone was shaking my hand. I think we both felt we got a good deal.
  • jakewildjakewild Member Posts: 1
    I just inked the deal last night and boy am I happy! This package is a great one - all around. A love the grey leather and even in Florida, I used the heated seat already. Agree with the comments about the ridiculous tray in the cargo area...more stuff for the garage. I did not look closely at the Subaru's as I did not want to spend that much. interested to hear the Tucson was better. Paid just under $20k for my Alpine Frost LX.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    .....is the Tucson capable of over 25 MPG? IMHO, the Forester seems to be the most fuel efficient.

All feedback appreciated.......tks, ez.
    Honestly IMHO, the Tuscon does not get that great MPGs....but thats just me.
  • fwdfwd Member Posts: 5
    The local Hyundai dealer is bringing in leather seat kits for Tucson owners who would like to uprade from fabric.

They are not perforated in the centre panels like the factory leather seats but the leather is thicker and has a better feel.
  • fwdfwd Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone seen a good price on crossrails for the Tucson roof racks?

Do the rails for the Santa Fe fit the Tucson?
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    I have a Tucson LX AWD and the fuel mileage is less than stellar. The best I have seen so far was 22mpg for a short highway trip to a low of 14.6mpg for the last tankful, which was a mix of short trips to work and the stores in cold and sometimes snowy/icy weather. Other than the mileage, this is a wonderful value-packed vehicle that is far superior to others in its class. I can only hope that the mileage improves as I put more miles on it(1400 miles so far).
  • nornenorne Member Posts: 136
    Don't feel too bad about the low MPG considering it is a older 6 cylinder engine.

I have a 2002 honda cr-v and here in hawaii its mostly stop and go traffic. I get about 22mpg.
  • dovid2dovid2 Member Posts: 90
    Apparently, Hyundai makes really tight engines

that start to get their best mileage after

thoroughly broken in, around 10-15,000 miles.
  • nma126nma126 Member Posts: 2
    I know there are tons of questions about this, but I walked into the dealer yesterday, said I wanted 2% over invoice, and deal was done. Seems like a good price, but it was too easy. GLS AWD red/gray. Inv. was 20166, got it for 21686 after advertising fee and dest. charge. Seems like a good deal, but it was WAY too easy. Even gave me Blue Book for my trade. Any comments?
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    It is the end of the year and dealers want to sell cars. It's not like summer when the car lots are full of buyers. Sounds like you got a good deal and found a salesperson one car away from a bonus maybe.
  • suziheresuzihere Member Posts: 3
    Guys, I am purchasing a LX 4WD with sunroof added for $24000 on the road. Am I paying too much?

Thanks,s
    IMHO, if that is everything included, all fees, taxes, any add-ons, etc, then that seems like a decent price to me. Any trade-in involved? If so, if it is a Hyundai, make sure that you get the loyalty rebate. If not a Hyundai, but it happens to be an SUV on the competitive rebate list, make sure you get that. Other than that, enjoy your Tucson! You are getting the same one I have, LX AWD with sunroof, and I love it!
    Suzi,

You have to give us more details...accessories,...does the $24,000.00 include yor taxes, dealer fees...What??? Did you have a trade-in? If so, what make, model, year and how much did they allow you for same???
  • gisinggising Member Posts: 2
    https://www.hyundaipartsonline.com Found a web site with some accessories. See if this helps.
    Here's another site for Tucson accessories. They should have their stuff posted early next week.

http://www.hyundaiaccessorymall.com/
  • clamclam Member Posts: 36
    I'm considering either a Tucson, St Fe, CRV, or Escape.

For those of you who purchased a Tucson - aren't you wary of purchasing a car in its first model year? Has this model been produced for other markets before the North American model launch?
  • boltguyboltguy Member Posts: 94
    Most (if not all) Hyundai models are sold in Korea at least 6-8 months before they're sold in North America. Although I would still consider it a first year model. It's built on a highly modified Elantra chassis, so that may be some reassurance.

I'm seriously considering a Tucson, but am a little put off by the plasticky dash and door panels. I think it makes a lot of sense to have soft touch areas where your hands normally go. Still haven't test driven one, but am anxious to see if the interior is as quiet as stated. I'm a long time Hyundai owner and currently have an '03 2.4L Santa Fe. I enjoy it a lot but would like to have 4WD and a little more powerful engine. I'm just going to wait till Sept./Oct. and see if I can get the kind of deal I'd like (maybe on an '06).
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    I am more concerned about the reliability of this model than "plasticky" dash and door panels if the price is good.

I will never touch and feel the dashboard. The only parts important to be pleasant to touch are the places you "normally" touch, such as armrests, door handles etc.. Not things you touch once in a showroom just out of curiosity to see if they are soft or not (top of dashboard, center console etc.).
    Basically the signs of cost cutting to reach a certain price point are disappointing to me. I don't doubt the reliability of the overall product at all. To each his own.
    I never realized that there was even anything wrong or "cheap" with the dashboard or any other parts on the Tuscon until reading it here. As far as I'm concerned, the "cheap" dashboard or other parts doesnt look any cheaper or better than my mom's Honda Accord or my sister's Nissan Altima. Maybe I'm just not as picky in that particular area.
    A lot of car companies are going to the hard plastic dashboards and all plastic door panels. I'm not bashing Hyundai in particular. I've owned Hyundais since 1992, and will probably continue to. I don't like the trend, as a whole.

If you have no qualms about your Tucson, I'm happy for you. I'm strongly considering one too!
  • alpine1alpine1 Member Posts: 51
    Price is about right. Hyundai dealer in my area has ad in newspaper discounting the Tucson GLS by about $650 from list. Only extra is sales tax.
  • rybakrybak Member Posts: 2
    Just signed papers on my GLS, FWD (2x4), Sunroof & Mud Flaps. Out the door I was at $21,600...this includes all fees, title, registration and taxes (6%).

I think I got a great deal and can't wait to take delivery tomorrow...
  • alpine1alpine1 Member Posts: 51
    Looks like you got at least $1,000 off of the list price. MSRP is $20,594 (includes trans.) + $750 sunroof + $75 mud flaps = $21,419
  • bar1bar1 Member Posts: 1
    but it is lacking a few things that I miss from my VW beetle....like outside temperature gauge inside car, lights on visor mirror, and automatic trunk open from inside car. Other than that no complaints. Just bought the car 5 days ago and it runs great and drives smooth. It is very quiet. Bought the LX 4WD in black with grey leather.
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    I took a test drive in a Tuscon on Friday of last week. I was impressed with much that it has to offer. It has a nice storage area in the back, the engine seemed very responsive, and head room was pretty good ... however, leg room in the front was lacking a bit. I'm 6'-7" tall and felt that the seat needed another couple inches of rearward travel. In addition, the center console around the gear shift assembly protruded into the leg space a bit and it was uncomfortabel against my leg ... perhaps if the seat had more rearward travel I would not have had to spread my legs so much to drive comfortably.

I liked the Tuscon but I don't think it is big enough for me.
  • cmartin2cmartin2 Member Posts: 1
    My GLS 4WD does not have a Traction Control button next to the 4WD and Stability Control buttons; nor is there a Traction Control warning light. What's with that? It's supposed to be standard on all models.
  • packaging propackaging pro Member Posts: 32
    I just went into a Hyundai dealer in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. I was told there will be new rebates or incentives starting for Jan. 2005 on the Tucsons. Anyone know what they might be? I was told they didn't know until they came out.
    I'm assumming the Traction Control is always activated since you're running a 4wd vehicle but the ESP can be deactivated.
    You should know by tomorrow about the January rebates on the Hyundai website. They are now listed as being valid up until Jan. 3rd.
  • clemnaciousclemnacious Member Posts: 1
    Are manual 5 speed AWD models actually being made? Two dealers I have visited say that Hyundai has not manufactured any manual models yet, even though the factory website says otherwise.

I test drove the automatic model and enjoyed it, but a real stick would liven up my commute a bit more.
    I like to visit fitzmall.com (not a competitor to Edmunds) to get an idea of prices. You have to do search for the Tucson and you should find 2 awd manual ones. Although I think they are fairly rare right now.
  • andil1andil1 Member Posts: 97
    Wow. Hyundai must be really interested in knowing how the purchasers of its Tucsons must be feeling. I purchased my Tucs Oct 23, and I've had three phone surveys (one only an hour ago) and two mail surveys--definitely the most I've ever encountered with a new car. I previously owned an Elantra GT, and before that a Sonata, but I don't remember receiving more than one survey for either of them.

I'm pleased to see all the additional activity on this board lately. Congratulations to all the new Tucs owners!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Congratulations to all the new Tucs owners!

I'm curious. Is that pronounced "tucks" or "toose?"

tidester, host