Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan 2005+

Comments

• marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    I had complained in another posts that the new cars did not put out cool fresh air through the vents like some of the older ones, that had a door that you could open that would let cool outside air in.

The fresh air coming from my Dodge Dakota was always about 20 degrees warmer than the outside air. But after buying this Dodge mini van, I see the problem was that the Dakota did not have a button on it to do away with re-cirulating air and give me direct outside air as the van and our Civic has. I was just blowing the air around that was already in the truck, with no way to change it but open up the windows or turn on the A/C.

With all the little things Chrysler took off their cars, trucks and vans to save money, I am glad to see they added this to the vans at least. Don't know if the new Dakota has the re-circulating button now or not. Sure glad the van does though.
  • svevarsvevar Posts: 160
    Dealers are just reluctant to order it. You'll have to order one from the factory, or look elsewhere to find a van that has the curtains as standard.

-- Mark
  • kfdmedkfdmed Posts: 130
    I have found you get the best deals on vehicles on the dealers lot. Do the side airbags provide any protection to kids in car/booster seats? Thats who will be back there 90% of the time. Maybe I dont require them after all.
  • Just bought a new GC SXT Special Edition to replace an 03 GC EX. It is great so far. These Special Editions are hard to find, at least in Denver. Went to a no haggle dealer and since it was the end of the month they were haggling. They knocked $2500 off MSRP of 32780 instead of their $1200 plus $3500 rebate. They also threw in an extra pair of head sets for the DVD and Permaplate coating on the paint, leather and carpet.
  • boatsboats Posts: 19
    Hi All - I'm seriously considering a GC SXT or the T&C touring with a tow package. I'm in Orange County, CA and I'm looking for a recommendation for a dealer with a good service dept. (who to avoid wouldn't hurt either). I really like the van for a number of reasons, but I'd like it even more if I knew the dealership was really good about warranty repairs and reasonable on basic maintenance costs. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Boats
  • dougkdougk Posts: 1
    We've been looking at the 2005 T&Cs but the front seats sit too high. I'm 6'2" and I'm staring at the top of the windshield frame when sitting in the passenger seat.

Is there any way to lower it?
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    I purchased a 2005 GC SXT with tow, power hatch and sunroof just before xmas. I live in Detroit though. Love it so far!!!

One issue with purchase.....the tow package comes only with the 4 pin connection on the harness. I had to purchase a new harness with the 7 pin round (USCar style) connector...$130. I plan on towing a small Coleman Popup RV with it.
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    In the DC SXT overhead console, there is a small green light, whenever I push any button on the overhead console my hands lights green from that lamp. Has anyone an idea what that lamp is for?
  • You know, that's a good question. We have the same light in our 2001 GC to which I can't find it mentioned anywhere in the owners manual.
  • 1997montez341997montez34 NJ, USAPosts: 202
    It's a ambient light meant to softly illuminate your center console and cup holders at night. A nice touch if you ask me.
  • How do u like the Stow n Go seats?? Are they low to ground beneath van??.. Concerned...
    I love them. Not as thick or comfortable as the pull out seats, but they aren't bad. Van doesn't seem to set any lower. Gobs of storage space with both seats up.
    you can't slide the seats together to make a bench like my old Chevy!!! So Lucy has to lay on the floor :(

I on the other hand LOVE EM!!! They were the deciding factor over Honda (plus a $9000 advantage when you factor in rebates and supplier discount).
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Dodge web site lists a Grand Caravan SE with "J" package that includes 60/40 Split 3rd row and has a standard 2nd row bench. There is an optional 2nd-Row Buckets with rear 60/40 Split Bench Seating for $745 or optional Dlx Bench Seats w/2 Child, Rear 60/40 Stow'N Go for $225.

None of the Window Stickers for the 2005 GC SE minivans in Dodge dealer inventory listings show a 2005 GC SE with this configuration...nor does Edmunds.

This is a Grand Caravan SE and is not to be confused with the Grand Caravan SE Plus.
    Just FYI guys....

I picked up the 3rd storage bin/table combo. I'm a huge camper and table will come in handy, and the bin will protect the hole when I throw firewood etc...in there!

One comment....I thought it was a bit pricey$$$ $250 total, but the table is very well constructed with metal braces etc...
    For those of you that don't have a front center console. Pep Boys is selling them to fit Chrysler type mini vans for around $45.00. They have a big center storage compartment, with a sliding lockable lid. A place to put four drinking cups, two for front and two for the second row.Slots front and back for tissues, pens & etc. Also has a open storage bin on top for coins,pins, ect. It can be screwed to the floor if you want, or just sit between the seats. It come in a two tone grey and black. Great price and very nice console. Costs way less than factory console.
  • After a lot of research and test-driving 5 different minivans, I ended up buying an '05 T & C Touring with no options. That seemed like the best value to me. I test-drove a Dodge SXT, but that seemed noisier inside to me than the Chrysler, but I can't prove it. I looked hard at at Toyota Sienna XLE, and it did have a smoother, more responsive engine,but I couldn't see that the Sienna was worth the extra $5-6,000. The $3500. rebates made the difference for me.
  • I've had my new '05 T & C Touring for 4 days now, and I'm pleasantly surprised how well everything works. Cars are sure much improved over cars of yesteryear. I have only one complaint with the vehicle, and that's the transmission, which tends to shift too soon under light throttle. (my typical driving pattern) This makes the car seem less powerful than it really is. It goes into 2nd gear at only 10 mph. The big problem is it goes into 3rd gear at 25, then in just 2 seconds, it slides into 4th gear at only 28 mph. Then it lugs and grunts briefly until speed gets above 30. With more leadfoot driving, the shift points seem more appropriate. I heard about how the computers in today's cars learn your driving patterns and make adjustments to the transmission and throttle with time. There may be some truth to this.The first couple days, the car seemed slightly hesitant getting off the line, but the past 2 days, it's much better in that regard. Have the rest of you had problems like mine, or is it a non-issue? I doubt if a dealer will help me, or can they?
  • It is an adaptive transmission. There is nothing wrong with early up-shifts under light throttle on level roads. Think of the better fuel economy you're getting. As you stated, it will shift later with spirited driving, so there's nothing wrong with your transmission.
  • 1997montez341997montez34 NJ, USAPosts: 202
    I have the same tranny in my '05 DGC SXT. Put the boot to the throttle. Break it in a bit and it will feel fine. The engine will gain power through the break-in process as well.