Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Frontier 2005+

Comments

• jjpeterjjpeter Member Posts: 230
    I don't understand Nissan's marketing strategy.

Here they have a hot new product, that they could sell tons of, and they have them hidden away, out of view on the back lot. Are they getting ready for a National blitz on the Frontier's anytime soon? Or are they trying to unload the 04 losers before telling folks, "look what we have!"

Makes you wonder who is running the show. If it were me, I'd have banners out front saying "NEW ARRIVALS - COME TEST DRIVE THE 2005 FRONTIER'S!"

And I'd be running ads on radio and TV, like the old Frontier ads where the truck comes tearing out of the mist in slo-mo, with lightening flashing in the background as rocks are being sprayed from behind it. It was marketing BS, because that model of the Frontier was powered by the old V6, which was severly lacking compared to the 4 liter in the current model.

Roll it out with the fanfare it deserves Nissan! Shout it from the roof tops.

This truck ROCKS!
  • wvfrontierwvfrontier Member Posts: 9
    I agree that nissan needs to get there act together as far as there options. On the website there is no blue seats option but they obviously have them not that i really want them but still. And i really think its funny the fact that there saying you have to get the sunroof option in order to get the upgrade rocksford system but yet i've seen LE's with the upgraded system with no sunroof. Plus i wish you could get an LE without the roof rack and running boards. I like the clean look myself but i dont want a nismo and sacrifice a smoother ride and more money to do without. Oh and if you have radiant silver why on earth would you need granite which is just a variant of the radiant silver give us another color.
  • jonaschilkjonaschilk Member Posts: 5
    What is it? I couldn't find it mentioned in the Nissan Website?
  • hkingshkings Member Posts: 74
    Hey everyone,

I just bought a 2005 Frontier a week ago and love it so far.

I have a Storm Gray LE Crew Cab with the color matched bumpers, but I want the Chrome bumpers for front and rear. I ordered them through Nissan parts, but it is a National backorder and I have no idea when they will come in.

Is there anybody with a new 05 Storm Gray that is willing to trade their chrome bumpers for the color matched ones? I realize it's a long shot, but I don't know how long my wait will be. I am in Southern California.

Email me at HKINGS at aol.com if anybody is interested!

Thanks so much in advance!
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    hey dude,can you give us some inpute on the truck hows it ride,how is the pick up and handleing.
    hkings,

What other impressions do you have to share with us so far?

How is the ride?

Any idea on miles per gallon?

How is the cabin arrangement? Do you like the layout?

Does the arm rest being so far from the dash bother you?

Is that V6 as peppy as advertised?

How is the tranny? You got the automatic, right?

Let us know, because we are Frontier wanna-bees, LOL!
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    Did you get leather? What color? is it the same as the pathfinder? I ordered a storm grey with tan leather but have yet to see any leather packages, so I hope i like it.
    Picked up my new frontier today. And just as i posted earlier there are good deals to be had. I got the Grantite color crew cab LE with rocksford sys upgrade, cloth seats, automatic and a few other options. Sticker 28280.00 my price 26500.00. Not to bad. Its about what i thought i would pay. Can't say to much yet other then i fell in love with this truck from the first test drive. Great pickup on the starts and runs about 2.5 rpm at 70mph not to bad. Has great power overall. Rides smooth. Couldn't ask for to much more in a truck. Stereo system sounds pretty sweet to me. I personally like the layout of the truck. The console being back to me is nice gives me room to put my drinks. Im not one to rest my arm on it so no problem there for me. I'll keep posting as i get to drive it more
    And past owners!!!
    what state did you buy it frome??
  • jokerjoker Member Posts: 9
    Purchased New Years Day

Storm Gray LE Crew Cab 4X4, Leather (steel), Sunroof and Rockford Fostgate packages.

Sticker $30,360

Paid $28,500 (500 over invoice) after an hour of negotiation.

Driving it for a week now and love it. Plenty of get up and go. Comfortable, rides nice and looks great in my opinion. Waxes up real nice.

2 issues though that the dealer is working on but has yet to resolve.

1)"Auto" headlight position is missing from the light selection lever. Dealer agreed that it should be there. Light sensor is installed on the dash. Wrong lever installed?

2) Wiper selection lever has a rear wiper control. Rear wipers are not available on the truck! So maybe the assembler used a Pathfinder lever.

Ive had the truck 6 days and didnt notice the levers until Sunday. Notified the dealer Monday. Im confident that these issues will be resolved. Ill let you all know either way.
    I bought it in beckley, west virginia
  • phillyfrontierphillyfrontier Member Posts: 17
    Would any new 2005 owners post some gas mileage figures please? I'm just wondering if 18-20 is attainable with such a powerful engine. Thanks!!
  • phillyfrontierphillyfrontier Member Posts: 17
    Anybody trade in a late model Frontier on a new one? I would think there are a few of you out there. I have a 03 XE CC LB 4x4 with about 20k miles. Edmunds say 14800 on a trade in while Kelly Blue book says $16800. I would really need to get about $17-18 to be able to get an 05. Any info would be appreciated!!!
    I hate to break this to you, but the only way you are going to get $17-18K for your 03 is through a private sale. Auto dealers will look at the KBB price and try offer you at least $2K below that. They want to turn that truck around for a profit and giving you top dollar is not a reciept for their ongoing financial health.

Good Luck!
  • dbauerdbauer Member Posts: 416
    VPP is an employee and vendor purchasing plan. it wont be listed on the website, because the site is for retail buyers. if you dont knbow what VPP is, then dont worry about it...you dont get it.
  • jokerjoker Member Posts: 9
    300 miles so far.

200 in town miles, 100 highway.

Averaging 14.6 mpg.
    what else can you tell us about the truck anything else???
  • sean3sean3 Member Posts: 158
    that all 05's have opening doors in the rear,even the base KC. An XE

5speed

AC

Cruise

Tilt-----Stickers for 18,300 what should Invoice be? I can't get a clear price..It has a 1,500 package included in the price which includes above + rear tint and bedliner..Any help, thanks Sean
    Here are some pics of my new 05 fronty.

http://usera.imagecave.com/wvfrontier/
    Looks great. Congrats. We are jealous. Let us know of any problems. Just read on the Pathfinder board a few people have had tranny trouble already, I hope they did better with the Frontier.
  • sean3sean3 Member Posts: 158
    me figure out the invoice on a 2005 XE

w/a 1,500 Package which includes a/c,cruise, 5sp, tint, bedliner, sticker says 18,300, My computer wont let me check edmunds TMV,,,please help, Its the only one on there lot,,and I want to decide tomorrow(monday) Thanks alot, Sean

WVfrontier, I am sure Jelous :) I want one! Sean
  • jasong2jasong2 Member Posts: 18
    I bought my Frontier Crew Cab SE-V6 on Friday. Got exactly what I wanted (which wasn't much):

Crew Cab, SE-V6

2-Wheel Drive

Manual Transmission

Power Package

ABLS

Microfilter

Storm Gray w/ Charcoal Interior

Sticker price was $22,360. Since no one had invoice pricing on any of the internet sites, I was kind of "flying blind" when it came to negotiating the price. I chose to negotiate most on the trade-in, since they said their would be no negotiating on the MSRP. Furthermore, the dealer could have had a "take it or leave it" stance, since there were only 2 trucks in MD, VA, PA, and DE in the configuration I wanted.

Four hours after arriving at the dealership, I ended up getting $1100 above Edmunds value for my trade in (and $1000 more than any other dealer had offered).

I did try negotiating on the MSRP and managed to get $300 off the MSRP, floor mats, and a voucher to order the bed extender for $150. At this point, the dealer said take it or leave it. With the trade in and small concessions on the MSRP, I figure I saved about $1500. Financing was through my credit union, so the dealer couldn't make money there and offer more off the MSRP.

Others will probably do better as the trucks start showing up on the lots. However, I am pretty happy with the deal. My truck needed new tires and a tune up (about $500 combined), so I figured that into my savings and decision to take the deal.

So far, I really like this truck. The power is great and the manual transmission really lets you take advantage of it. I have never owned an automatic and I didn't drive an automatic Frontier to test it, so others may be able to draw a comparison of the two on the Frontier.

Seats are comfortable and the ride is very smooth. It is the most quiet truck I have ever owned. I am accustomed to knowing my speed buy the wind/engine noise. First time I was on the highway with the Frontier, I was startled to find I was driving 90mph!

A couple reviews have noted that the turning circle on the Frontier is a disadvantage along with the steering ratio when compared to other crew cabs. Coming from a regular cab to the Frontier, it certainly is noticeable, especially in parking lots or turning right at intersections. I figure this is only a "problem" until I get used to the truck. Soon enough, I will be whizzing in and out of parking spaces without any problem.

So far, with one fill up after 50/50 highway-city driving, I am very pleased to note my gas mileage was 20.1 mpg!!!

All I can say is that I am very happy I wasn't persuaded to buy a 2004 because of the rebates. The 2005 really is superior.

FYI - When I arrived at the dealership, the entire sales force was there because Nissan Corporate was doing "2005 Frontier Training." I nosed around a bit of it and was surprised by the honesty. Nissan brought in Frontier, Tacoma, and Dakota crew cabs for everyone to drive and compare. When the test drives were over the execs went over the advantages of the Tacoma over the Frontier and vice-versa. Frontier does have a slight edge for some things, but they admitted that it will really come down to price and whether customers are "Toyota" or "Nissan" people.

Nissan expects that unless customers are "Dodge" loyalists, the Dakota won't have much impact. The "redesigned" Dakota is the same as the last few years with more chrome, and there are noticeable quality and workmanship issues that makes a comparison of the two trucks heavily weighted toward Frontier.

Nissan also is betting that the new Frontier styling my draw people away from the more "dated" styling of the Tacoma and Dakota.

Jason
    Thanks for the nice review. I went the San Jose Auto Show over the weekend to look over a number of segments. Nissan had one Frontier there, a CC SE, black. I spent a lot of time checking it out and my impressions have not changed much since I wrote my review of it here, earlier in December. I was disappointed they did not have the King Cab, because I wanted to check that model out also. Oh well.

It was interesting to see the various efforts expended by the different makes at the show. I have to say, Nissan basically just put the cars on the floor and let the looky loos crawl through them. There were zero knowlegable people at their display, and this was on a Saturday afternoon. Just hot babes walking around trying to get people's personal data into their table PC's.

There was an 05 Xterra on display, and it must have been shipped right off the factory floor because they are just now starting production.

Interestingly, I looked at the floor placard for the Frontier that sits by all the vehicles, to read what it said. I could not believe my eyes. The data on it was for the old Frontier, talking about that this was a long bed CC, with the 3.3 liter V6. God Nissan! Wake up!!! Its on 05 on display.

In contrast, Toyota had an ongoing talking babe telling whoever wanted to hear alllll about the Tacoma, how it won MT's truck of the year honors, blah blah blah. Honestly, the Frontier IMHO, is a far more attractive truck, just that Nissan's marketing division is "out to lunch."

My wife and I were also looking at the small SUV segment, and Hyundai's Tucson is a really attractive unit, and loaded for the price. And, they had at least 5 knowledable people at their display. Well done.
    I did look at the NISMO king cab on the show room floor while all the paperwork was being done (I was at the dealership 4 hours!). I think the King Cab's proportions make it look very nice . . .nicer than the crew cab. However, the rear seats are absolutely useless. The seat rests about 4 inches off the floor and from seat back to front seat, there is just 25 inches of room. I measured my sitting position and figured this would provide 1" of extra leg room! Not that it really mattered, I tried to get in the rear seats on the show room model and failed. I think it would work if you stacked you friends horizontally, though.

Jason
    Yes, I agree the KC's rear seating arrangement (if you can call it that) are pretty useless. It is not designed for adults. The seats look almost like an afterthought. I primarily would haul tools and packages back there though, and for that its a very usable space. My 99 KC Ranger has the swing out rear doors also, but the seats are raised up a bit more so they are tolerable for adults on a short ride.

Jason - how is the ride on your CC? Reports and reviews mention "choppiness or minor bucking" over some pavements. Have you experienced this?

Also, what are the RPM's in sixth gear at 70mph?
    How is the gas Mi. ??

what color did you get?and what price did you pay?
    Who are you asking? Jason posted all the answers to your questions earlier.

Joker posted 14.6 mpg earlier ( have a feeling he's enjoying that V6 :) )

Jason said in his post; "So far, with one fill up after 50/50 highway-city driving, I am very pleased to note my gas mileage was 20.1 mpg!!!"
    This is getting bad, replying to my own posts...

Anyway -

Badness, I have not purchased any Frontier yet, if that is what you were asking. I did go by the local dealer at lunch today, had a King Cab LE 4x4 out front. They were asking MSRP + $3000 dealer mark up. No way! It was black with the Charcoal interior. Man is that interior gorgeous! Soon, baby, Soon. :)
  • sigsauersigsauer Member Posts: 35
    since on my 05 se c/c 6 spd, there isn't a factory keyless entry alarm option available so i got the viper 350 alarm w/ keyless entry installed today. the local installer took a while since there isn't a wiring schematic for this new truck (or even the 05 pathfinder) yet. i also got the 2 front windows tinted w/ the lightest color. it looks great now; very blending to the factory rear windows tint. plus now my truck auto locks when i shift into 1st gear and auto unlocks when i remove the ignition key. very nice feature especially when you hauling kids in the back. alarm + tint only $230 installed !!
    The ride is excellent. Very smooth but still enough stiffness and road feel to know you are in a truck. Also great highway handling (onramp acceleration and at highway speeds.

Also, part of the smoothness has to do with the manual transmission. I had a 91 Nissan and a 2002 Dakota previously. On those, the manual could get a little "jerky" if you were in stop and go traffic. The 05 Frontier has a much smoother transmission, so stop and go is really smooth. It may not make a difference, but the 05 uses the same transmission (manual at least) as the 350Z. So in answer to your question, there is no choppinesess or bucking. In fact, it is the smoothest manual/clutch I have ever driven.

Regarding the RPMs in 6th gear. I haven't been in 6th much. 70mph seems to be at the threshold for shifting between 5th and 6th. At 70mph in 6th, the RPMs are just about 2250. In fifth gear at the same speed, its just about 2500-2750. I am accustomed to my Dakota being at 3000 RPMs at 70mph, so I have to figure out what works best with the Nissan and 6 gears.

Badness - I forgot to deduct the test drive miles from my calculations for the mpg. When I factored that in, I am at 18.7 mpg for the first fill up.

Color is Storm Gray. The brochure and online color charts do not do any of the colors justice. Really need to see them in person. The Storm Gray is a greenish charcoal color. Also saw the canteen (lighter in person) and the Aztec Red (clown nose red). My interior is Charcoal.

I had to bring the check into the dealer this afternoon and took another look at the NISMO king cab. They are asking MSRP and no plans to budge on it. They also included bed extender, divider, and tool box and expect a 100% mark up. It has been in the showroom for 4 weeks and no buyer yet at that price.

I looked again at the rear seats. They are higher than 4" . . . probably 8 inches. They rest on a web covered storage bin (similar to that under he CC rear seats). Still impossible for adults to get in and out. Given the room, I doubt the size of the kids fitting back there comfortably would legally be allowed to sit there without booster seats (which seems impossible). Still it is great cargo area and the hinged suicide doors make accessing the area nice.

Good luck with your purchase - Jason
    thats way too much 3G's mark up,dude your the man,thanks again,.good luck with the Baby!!!
  • novanova Member Posts: 135
    There are a couple of dealers in Florida selling at $400.00 over invoice NO DEALER FEE'S. One in west palm beach and one in pompano. I bought 2WD. crew cab on sunday and already have 400 miles on the truck. LOVE THIS TRUCK
  • jbonejbone Member Posts: 35
    Jason,

Thanks for the detailed reviews. Love the look of this truck vs. the Taco, but still not completely sold on either...

Was wondering if you or anyone could tell if two kids under 6 y.o. in car seats (one booster, one forward facing full seat) would fit in the back of the k-cab. I have not been able to get to a dealer to check this out myself, plus I am not ready to buy yet and don't want to be tempted...

Was impressed to read in the 05 brochure that Nissan tested a bunch of kid car seats and have the results posted at their website - however it is titled 2003-2004 Frontier so not sure if the data pertains to 05...

Also, nowhere in the brochure does it say that the rear axle is a Dana 44 when I thought the specs that came out before the truck indicated this..? Any owner know for sure by reading the specs in the manual or crawling under and checking? IMO this is a huge selling point for offroaders that Nissan should exploit given all the aftermarket upgrades available for D44s.
  • mtrialsmmtrialsm Member Posts: 159
    I'm sure Nissan will bring out the Frontier long

bed double cab? I own a 2001 Dodge Quad and the size was the reason for my purchase over the Nissan and Toyota, now they are simular in size.
  • taylor35taylor35 Member Posts: 39
    I have had trouble finding an LE in the color and with the options I want, but can locate a Nismo that fits. I don't do any offroading so seems like I should just keep looking for the LE, but if anyone has thoughts about this let me know.

Also, dealers in my area are now offering 1500 - 1750 off MSRP.
    Most reviews suggest that the Nismo package affects the quality of the ride (much rougher). I would think unless you plan on a lot of stuff offroad, I would wait for the LE. Try contacting different dealers. Some dealers just want to sell what they have or what thier "network" has. I would try using a different dealer if possible and see what they can find.
    Taylor35,

At this site; you can search dealer inventory based on your zip code. It allows you to set the radius from your zip, 25, 50, 100 miles out. At 100 miles from your location, you should have plenty of dealers to select from. This is assuming the inventory is accurate, I'd call to confirm.

http://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/Configurator/0,,75450%7C75458,0- - 0.html#top
  • taylor35taylor35 Member Posts: 39
    Thanks - that was my gut reaction too, but it is good to confirm it. I have test driven several LE's and I like the ride, so I better just stick to that.
    Based on Nissan's Frontier site, a lot of what I want my Fronty to have is a combination of SE, LE and Nismo options. Want the SE with power pak and alloy wheels for the price, the LE for the Fog lights but not the step up rail, the Nismo for the spray-in bed liner, seats, bed hold down system and stereo but not the off-road suspension.

Will Nissan have a true "build your own Frontier?" Since they are made here in the US, it should be easier to accomodate customers wishes for their personalized custom Frontier. Most likely will have to wait until later in the year to even see if its going to be offered....
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    I'll repeat two questions I asked a while back.

1. What does the engine / exhaust sound like? I do not want a loud truck, but a little growl from the exhaust would be nice. Generally, I think V6 engines do not sound all that good, but I think Nissan does a good job with the 350Z and the G35 coupe.

2. Are the storage bins under the back seats removable? I love the flat floor on the back of the Titan, and although that truck has a nice V8 rumble, it is just too big for me. However, me and my two mutts will be sorely dissapointed if you cannot remove the junk under the back seats on the Frontier crew cab to create a flat floor. Not having a flat floor available would kill the benefit of having the fold up back seats. Am I a wierdo? Why can't more truck makers understand this?
  • sigsauersigsauer Member Posts: 35
    engine & exhaust sound fine to me. note 'fine' is a relative term. it's neither loud nor quiet. just 'fine' but i wouldn't mind adding a catback system to get a few more ponies and a little louder sound.

the storage bins under the backseats are removable. however the floor back there is not completely flat; but flat enough for me if i want to throw stuffs back there. i don't have dogs so not a biggie issue for me.

i wish that nissan can make their back area more roomy, more comfortable, more recline, more storage spaces like the tacoma which i think scores big in the space design.
    Talor,I've been doing the same thing on search wise with the Mi. thing.

Dose anyone now how the seats are in the King cab le are,and can you adjust the seat hight at all.

Thanks.

Badness(NJ)
    With all due respect, do you even read over your words before hitting the post button? There is a spell check feature...

The seats in the LE are the same as in the SE, in fact they are the same in all models with the following exceptions; Nismo gets other color choices, blue I've seen, and then leather is also an option. Also, there is a seat up-down dial for the drivers seat.
    You just need to buy an LE and take the nerf bars off. The LE has the power pak, alloy wheels, fog lights, spray in bed liner, seats, hold down system and stereo with no offroad. If you just get on w/out all the bells and whistles and with a little bit of price shopping you should be able to get one fairly priced.
    1)engine and exhaust sound great. You can't even here anything in the cab.

2)All the brochures and even the web state that the bins are removable. And having an 05 i would concure. they have easily removable screws that can be unscrewed by hand no tools needed.
    1. I agree, the cab is very quiet. The Titan has much more engine noise at highway speeds (which i did not like, great in town, but on the freeway, give me a smooth and quiet ride).

2. After you remove the bins, is the floor flat or does it have a hump?
    Regarding the flatness of the floor . . . there is a dividing hump in the middle that separates the back floor into two shallow foot wells.

Also, wanted to give a MPG update . . . 319.2 miles / 16.32 gallons = 19.55 MPG.
  • valance2valance2 Member Posts: 14
    Is there a way to cleanly remove the roof rails from an LE? I'm getting one either way but I would prefer one without the roof rails. I'll rarely use them and think they are ugly.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    I realize that there is a driveline hump. My dogs can deal with that. But I just wanted to make sure the plastic storage bins came out. In any case, sounds like the back of the crew cab has some good cargo / dog utility.