Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Ridgeline SUT

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Most of the automatic tranny equipped Subies use a system similar to Honda's Real-Time system, with clutches driving the rear wheels when needed

Only partially true. Unlike the the Honda Real-time 4WD, all Subies, regardless of the AWD system used are 100% AWD all the time. The Honda unit reverts to FWD when not needed.

The Subie may shift power fore and aft, as per the Honda, but never are the rear wheels not driven.

Bob
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    Which means it works more like the AutoTrac 4WD system in GMs that I described above (Auto4wd mode). Except that I believe the Ridgeline can't go into 4WD above certain speeds? (not certain) The 4WD system in my truck can, and I can also run it in 4WD HI at highway speeds (not a usual occurrence, however).
    It's still all marketing, no matter how you slice it. Yeah, when you hear the term "4WD" you assume it it's more rugged—until you see a RAV4 or Highlander "4WD."

The VW Touareg has an excellent off-road full-time 4WD system with a high and low range, yet I bet many will call it AWD.

Bottom line: I know where you're coming from, and I don't disagree with you; but I still say it's more about marketing than anything else.

Bob
    Maybe, maybe not. I'm under the impression that AutoTrac (and Ford's ControlTrac) operate in 2WD until slippage is detected. If so, that's different than the Subie system. It's always in AWD, but when slippage occurs, more power is sent to the rear wheels. At no time is there no power being sent to the rear wheels on any Subaru.

Subie AWD systems:

Manual trannys (except STi): Viscous coupling 50/50 front-to-rear default power split

STi: Driver-controlled power split ranging from 41/59 to 59/41 (2006 models) front-to-rear power split

Non-VDC/VDT automatics: Electronic clutch coupling 90/10 front-to-rear default power split

VDC/VDT automatics: Electronic clutch coupling 45/55 front-to-rear default power split

Bob
  • uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    "Unlike the the Honda Real-time 4WD, all Subies, regardless of the AWD system used are 100% AWD all the time. The Honda unit reverts to FWD when not needed."

That is AWD, not 4WD. Also, is the RL FWD unless the rear wheels are needed (like on CR-V) or is it full time AWD?
    The CRV has an "on-demand AWD," meaning it's FWD until AWD is needed. The Ridgeline. Pilot and MDX work pretty much the same way. Unlike the CRV, those models are in 4WD from a dead stop, then switch back to FWD. They also revert to 4WD under accelleration, so yes, that is a more advanced system that what the CRV uses. Under cruising they are all FWD, however.

Bob
    then I'll shut up :)

The Dodge Durango/Dakota and the Jeep Grand Cherokee/Commander both offer a high-range-only full-time AWD/4WD. It's virtually the same unit on both the Dodge and Jeep.

Jeep calls it "4WD," and Dodge calls it "AWD."

I'm tellin' ya, it's marketing—and it confuses customers to no end, as this rather lengthy AWD/4WD discussion shows.

Bob
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    My facts are straight. The figure at the end of the calendar year was 42,593.

My source is a Honda press release posted on the official Honda media site.

If you're trying to explain how Flint's remarks do not match up with Honda's own figures... I cannot help you. My best guess is that he was using sales to date (including the first weeks of January).

No need be antagonistic about it.
    Hi Uga91,

If you wish to point out that these full-size vehicles can haul as much as the Ridgeline, but only if you remove all passengers, and all cargo, and all optional equipment, and the 4WD system, and then add a V8 engine, then, yes, I concede the point.

But I'm of the opinion that such a statement makes these full-sizers sound kinda pitiful.
    Which means it works more like the AutoTrac 4WD system in GMs that I described above (Auto4wd mode). Except that I believe the Ridgeline can't go into 4WD above certain speeds? (not certain)

Not certain if this was already addressed. Pardon me if this is redundant.

VTM-4 operates under reactive mode at ALL TIMES. In this mode, the system responds to throttle input as well as slippage. The best description for this would be "electronically engaged 4 wheel drive". Doesn't matter if you're doing 5 mph or 100 mph.

At low speeds, the driver may put the vehicle in either L1 or L2 and press the VTM-4 Lock button. This locks the front and rear axles together sending power in a 50/50 split. This is more or less just like the old 4x4 systems some folks are so enamored with. Except the VTM-4 system also locks the two half-shafts on the rear axle. That means it functions like a locking rear differential. This mode will automatically release when you drive above 18 mph. If you return below 18 mph, it will engage once more (assuming you haven't moved the gear selector).

That LOCK MODE is the one people most often get confused about. Hope that helps.
    The name RAV4 actually stands for Recreation Activity Vehicle 4WD.
    "Let me ask you, would you rather deliver medicine across the Sahara or up the side of a mountain in an AWD Highlander, Ridgeline, Forester or Escalade or in a 4WD F-150, Suburban or Land Rover? Of course you would choose 4WD."

There are advantages to traditional 4WD systems as well as AWD. I don't think anyone would deny that. When driving across the desert a traditional 4X4 system would be preferred. You'd only encounter one sort of terrain.

One of the advantages to an AWD system is that you can use it on dry or wet roads. You cannot use a traditional selector-style 4X4 on anything other than slick surfaces. You risk binding in the driveshaft, which results in scrubbing your tires (if you're lucky), or a driveshaft shaped like a pretzel (if you're not).

This means you can drive over any sort of terrain. Drive down a bare road with VTM-4 and encounter some ice, or standing water, or sand and the VTM-4 will kick in far faster than you can grab that gear selector and get it into 4hi.

That assumes, of course, your particular system allows you to shift on the fly. I'm told the last generation Xterra actually forced you to move the 4WD selector, back up 10 feet, and then try to make forward progress.
  • trashingtontrashington Member Posts: 21
    I just took my ridgeline on a road trip this weekend to western maryland for some skiing. It handled great on the road as expected with a smooth ride at 90 mph+ at times and had plenty of power to overtake anyone on the highway. We had 4 adults in the car with all suitcases and supplies split between the trunk and bed with plenty of room to spare. I averaged about 20 mpg on the highway, but I do have a lead foot.

While out there we had a big temp drop with snow and lots of wind creating snow drifts on the road and the Ridge handled all of it without a problem. I was also able to fit 3 adults in the back seat comfortably and I actually had 4 in the back seat (3 women, 1 guy) for a 20 minute drive and they all had room for their butts to fit on the seat without a complaint.

The trip for me just reconfirmed how well the Ridgeline fits what I need from a truck.
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    Ridgeline wins Strategic Vision's coveted "Most Delightful" compact pickup award.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/index.jsp?epi-content=GENERIC&news- Id=20060116005175&ndmHsc=v2*A1134824400000*B1137494042000*DgroupByDate*J2*L1*N10- 00837*Zhonda%20ridgeline&newsLang=en&beanID=202776713&viewID=news_view

Strategic Vision measures the experience of approximately 90,000 new vehicle owners annually. The survey has been done since 1996. Because of the nature of the factors measured, the results give the industry actionable information about multiple issues, including (a) building better vehicles, (b) communicating more effectively, (c) increasing sales opportunity, (d) creating strong brand image, (e) creating loyalty, and (f) assessing success and failure of strategy. GM product, not problems, and multiple levels of success are foremost.

Strategic Vision Announces Most Delightful Vehicles of 2005

Strategic Vision directly measures Customer Delight, which assesses the customers' responses to specific aspects of their vehicles, capturing the strength of the emotional response to what the vehicle delivers. The Edwards Customer Delight Scale(R) measures those responses. Scores range from 0-1000 depending on how comprehensively a vehicle delivers against the customers' specific needs. The top of the scale explicitly measures "Delight." A Customer Delight Index(TM) for 2005 was calculated from the responses of over 90,000 new vehicle owners who made their purchases between September 2004 and April 2005. They have owned their vehicles for at least 90 days, and the primary driver of the vehicle was surveyed.

Some of the winners in their class:

Compact Pickup Honda Ridgeline 612
    Full-Size Pickup Nissan Titan 605
    Heavy-Duty Pickup GMC Sierra 2500/3500 529
  • whaleyawhaleya Member Posts: 28
    Do people here just like to argue for the sake of arguing?

There are over a dozen DIFFERENT systems to tranfer power from the engine to all four wheels. Each system has it's strengths and weaknesses.

You CAN NOT lump over a dozen very different systems into two labels of AWD and 4WD.

How about if we stick to discussing The RL's implimentation of 4wd/awd and it's strengths and weaknesses?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    But I read someone's post (they own an Avalanche) about how the Ridgeline competes with midsizers and is priced with the full-sizers. Actually, the Ridgeline wasn't the most expensive entry in (Motor Trend or Car and Driver, I can't remember which) an article comparing Colorado, Frontier, Tacoma, Ridgeline, and Dakota. The Ridgeline came in with top honors over its midsize competitors, and this includes price/value into the equation.

Just a thought...

thegrad
  • thebillthebill Member Posts: 194
    Has anyone heard of any other fog lights other than the Genuine Honda round fog lights?

I would like to find some that are rectangle-shaped that fit in the space below the headlights.
  • roaddog2roaddog2 Member Posts: 13
    Yet another example: 1952 Military pattern 2 1/2 ton cargo truck affectionately called the Deuce and a half by guys like me who drove and fixed them: It had an automatic transmission (duo planetary gear sets) with hi/low range all bolted to a 600cid inline six. The truck normally operated with power transfered to the tandem axles at the rear. When about 10% slippage occured at the back end, power was proportioned to the front drive axle automatically.

Now you can call this an all wheel drive, and you can call this a 6X6 drive or you can call this a 4X6/all wheel drive hybred, but I can promise you I'll never be late for dinner -- even if I had to drive it across the Sahara to deliver medical supplies first!

The point is a simple one. All wheel drive or 4X4. Automatic or manual. Either configuration can be built as tough as you want.
    Either configuration can be built as tough as you want.

You're absolutely right. And you, being an old military guy, probably know that Oskosh, the maker of a lot of severe-duty military vehicles also use the term "AWD" when describing their drive systems.

Bob
    No Varmint. I wish to point out that full size trucks (that cost the same or less than a Ridgeline) can "haul as much as the Ridgeline" while dragging an anchor off the rear bumper. With a towing capacity of 8500 to 9900 lbs (depending on body style, engine and rear axle), you could just about tow a Ridgeline that is towing its 5000 lb capacity.
    Thanks for the real world update. This is why everyone should just buy and drive what they like.
    Who said anything about towing?

Is it really that hard for you to accept that the Ridgeline has ONE truckish virtue where it surpasses the rest? It has a high payload rating. That's all.
  • roaddog2roaddog2 Member Posts: 13
    Hi Bob: Actually, I didn't know about the Oskosh term. Possibly because I last worked on an olive-green truck in 1972.

Anyhoo, as much as I enjoyed my time bouncing around the boon docks in a big fat M-64, my beat up suburban middle aged [non-permissible content removed] now greatly appreaciates the comfort, quality and refinement of my Ridgeline.
    Okay, I don't have to talk towing. My payload is higher as well. But, Joe Homeowner--who the RL is marketed to--never carries more than a tray of pansies and a couple bags of mulch anyway, so the RL is just fine.
    I know we're topic-drifting here, so please forgive me (one more time)...

Here's the Oshkosh "defense products" site. The vehicle shown here not only has AWD but also a fully independent suspension—two items old-fashioned off-roaders hate; and as we all know, items also found on the Ridgeline.

http://www.oshkoshtruck.com/defense/products~wtanker~home.cfm

This Oshkosh site is interesting to check out. They (Oshkosh) are on the leading edge of severe-duty truck technology. They are also working with hybrids, pilotless vehicles, and much, much more.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Bob
  • tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    Not that there is anything wrong with that.

No, of course not.

Apologies to Seinfeld.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    and if you don't go for defensive minded trucks, these are the best off-road "real" trucks for Joe public.

http://www.unimogtrucks.com/

Never met a Unimog I didn't like.

John
    No, that's not it at all. I have gone out of my way to say I am not Anti-Honda, I understand the market Honda is going for with this truck, I have owned Honda products in the past and my brother owns two right now, and that after reading the Motor Trend article, I can see why it was picked for this year's TOTY. I even thanked the guy in Washington for sharing his real world experience with his RL. But, when someone makes crazy statements about how a RL has a higher hauling capacity than a full size truck, someone has to respond.

I wish I could have conversation about my truck, but there is no Ford activity in Town Hall. I would love to have conversation about my other vehicle, but there is no Saturn conversation in Town Hall, either. Besides, where is it written that only owners of a particular vehicle can comment about it? If that were the case, there would only be 2 or 3 folks here talking.
  • roaddog1roaddog1 Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for the web addres Bob. And you to John. They are both cool sites.
    "But, when someone makes crazy statements about how a RL has a higher hauling capacity than a full size truck, someone has to respond."

It's not crazy. It's true. The Ridgeline has a higher payload than any of the other trucks we've compared it to when similarly equipped.

I'm sure that you understand when you eliminate things like A/C or 4WD or a row of seats, you are changing the nature of the vehicle or reducing its appeal. To meet the Ridgeline's payload, your examples must sacrifice content or functionality. Or the buyer would have to sacrifice savings by opting for extra hardware or an HD package.

That's why we stick with similarly equipped vehicles.
  • chisoxjeeperchisoxjeeper Member Posts: 5
    You "Full size" pickup guys make me laugh. The Ridgeline is not in competition with you, nor is is direct competition with the Avalanche. It is a unique vehicle that fits into its own category. I bought a Ridgeline RT on Jan 2 of this year, and love it. I didnt look at any other pick-up trucks, since I have written off Ford, GM, and Jeep after years of buying their marginal vehicles. I didnt look at the Avalanche because 1) its a chevy, and 2) it is too big, and too much money for what you get. The base RT has the same guts as the top of the line Ridgeline, but at an affordable cost. I got mine for a little over $24,000 dollars. That is a vehicle with a strong engine, traction control, 4 wheel abs, and other features that would push the price of any of the Pick-ups raved about by non Ridgeline owners closer to $30,000. I have no use for a traditional pick-up, with poor ride quality, and in some cases questionable reliability. I drove a 2002 Jeep Liberty, a true 4x4 before the Ridgeline, and the difference is night and day. The Liberty, a good vehicle, with the usual american quality issues, ran for 90,000 miles before I traded it in, knowing I was on borrowed time before a major maintenance issue. The Ridgeline drives like a car, but has the space to carry items I need for the house in the cab, or in the bed as needed. It was not designed to be a work truck, so you traditional truck people need to get a clue. You are comparing apples and oranges... I still love the looks of disgust coming from F150, Ram, and chevy truck owners, as I drive by. I think they are mad because they know what reputation Honda has for making vehicles, and that their vehicles are dinasaurs in comparison. Once again America is a free country, you drive what you want, I drive what I want. Lastly I drive 1,000 miles a week, and couldnt have asked for a better vehicle..no quality issues, and 19 mpg, vs 15 mpg for a smaller Liberty...
  • aaron_taaron_t Member Posts: 301
    Where does Honda define how it rates payload?

I've had over 2500 pounds of pool sand in the bed of my F-150 (4wd Supercrew payload 1670 pounds) plus two 200 pound people for a short distance. The rear springs were not even fully compressed. Regardless of Full-sized truck payload ratings, they will handle heavy loads (even over ratings) much better.

The Ridgeline is a great truck that fits more people's lifestyles better than than most full sized buyers', but its capabilities are much lower regardless of ratings.

uga91, there are a few great F-150 forums outside of Edmunds if you are looking for more activity. Google will find them.
    Ridgeline specs, including payloads.

http://hondanews.com/CatID2140?mid=2005011039339&mime=asc

As to overloading your F-150: All truckmakers build in a safety cushion. How much of a cushion? Depends on the truckmaker. That being the case, and in order to compare apples-to-apples, all we have to go by is what the truckmakers actually publish.

Bob
  • roaddog1roaddog1 Member Posts: 18
    I have some low traction action under my belt now. Here's my comments.
    VTM on: On ice packed highways the Ridge sticks like glue! Much better than my Cherokees or the Ford Aerostar LTD ever could. No matter what kind of drive system you got, an empty pickup can be a bear to keep in a straight line under those conditions. However it seems to me that keeping the power to the front axle helps to keep the tail end in line. In deep snow standing start, it performed well, climbing over the snow without wheel spin. Under those conditions, the Ridge dictates power available. Starting out on ice, the traction control kicked in with a vengeance. I thought I'd stalled it. I now go easy on the throttle until the wheels are turning and after that, business as usual, good-by traffic.
    VTM off (fun mode): A bit of fishtail and some wheel spin from stop, and a lot of drifting around corners. Seems you're back to being a driver again. Turning off the VTM sometimes helps. In deep snow you occasionally have to chew your way through so you don't climb up and then have the snow compress underneath and possibly high center the truck.

Dave.
    That's something I've read on Honda's Media Website. Sorry, I don't have a direct link. The information about Chevy needing to reduce their numbers when adding passengers, equipment, or gear is on their corporate website. Ford no longer publishes that disclaimer on their website. Perhaps someone with a manual can clear that up for us.

And this is a story you might want to read.

http://www.dundasstarnews.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=brabant/Layout/Ar- - ticle&c=Article&cid=1135291817653&call_pageid=1069851996007&col=1073476868082

You should know that Honda loaded a few trucks and set journalists lose on a driving course. I don't know which models they compared with the Ridgeline. (The only one mentioned by name was the SportTrac. It was mentioned because it was eliminated from the drive when it kept tipping up on two wheels.) Anyway... when loaded, all the other trucks felt less stable and more difficult to control than when they were unloaded. Not so with the Ridgeline. It was much more stable than the others both loaded and unloaded. If you'd like confirmation, the initial test drives published at various sites will mention these tests.

So "handling a load" is more to me than simply not collapsing under the weight.
    The base RT is the same model by brother-in-law is looking for. He's been offered prices below invoice because of the dealer incentives and holdback.

He is definitely a harry homeowner type. He's got a small camper and sail boat, but nothing that weighs more than 3,000 lbs. He's also got 2 kids and paved roads between his home and his daily job.

The Ridgeline is the closest to what he needs in the truck segment.
  • jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    Maybe the problem is that The Ridgeline just is unique?

Look at the payloads. They rival the full size half ton trucks.

Honda markets it as a mid size (I believe). The size of the Ridgeline is bigger than most midsize and just a tad smaller than the full size.

Yet the last posting on awards won is "Compact Trucks".

Its unique and appears to fill the needs of many people.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    Besides, where is it written that only owners of a particular vehicle can comment about it? If that were the case, there would only be 2 or 3 folks here talking.

Well, first off, there is no rule that only owners of a vehicle can talk about it. If there were, I wouldn't be here, either.

BUT, good forum manners dictate that folks talk about what the topic is actually about. In this case, the topic title is the Ridge, and nothing else. Comparison topics list the vehicles being compared, and that is where most of your comments belong.

I don't have a problem with someone coming on and saying "hey, i compared vehicle X with the topic vehicle and here is what i found." But that's not the issue here, some folks are coming here and saying "ridge sux. ridge sux. ford/chevy rock. ford/chevy rock." OVER and OVER and OVER again. And when the obvious explanation comes out that they are competitors, the answer that comes across is "ridge sux. ridge sux." It really is quite sad.

Better yet, coming on and saying "i checked out the vehicle in this topic and i found it didn't fit my needs because of X, Y, and Z. The manufacturer would be better served if they changed P, Q, and R." etc. etc. That is simply the difference between being constructive or destructive.

You effectively did come out and say "ridge owners do nothing but plant flowers and lay mulch" in a Ridge discussion. That's like me going to the Ford or Chevy board and saying "i bought a ridge because i'm not a toothless nascar-lovin redneck." I mean, honestly, where is the difference?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• chisoxjeeperchisoxjeeper Member Posts: 5
    The base RT was totally what I was looking for. I wanted to get a bigger SUV, but the gas mileage, and the high prices of the Grand Cherokee, and a new Liberty were not attractive. So I looked at the CRV, and the Highlander, both seemed "cheap" not a knock, but I am used to American cars, where when you close the door it feels like steel, not like aluminum. I saw the Ridgeline RT , and it was solid, and surprisingly, the one I saw at the dealer was only approx $1,000 more than a loaded CRV SE. I stopped looking immediately, knowing I had found my truck. I searched around for a week, and found RT's hard to find, Honda seemed to produce more of the higher trim levels. I had an ad for Honda of Lisle, and went to Honda of Joliet who had 1 Silver RT in stock, they matched the price, and I bought it. My commute every day, is 1.5 - 2 hours in the morning, and 1.5 hours on the ride home so I wanted something safe, bigger than my Liberty, but still 4WD/AWD with better gas mileage. The Ridgeline accomplishes all of the above. I dont tow anything, or use the bed other than for trips to Home Depot, so some of the supposed shortcomings the "full size" truck gang tries to harp on dont apply. Hopefully your brother can find an RT hes looking for, he wont be disappointed. You cant touch a similarly sized vehicle, with all the features they have packed into the Ridgeline, and best of all its a honda so it is going to run forever..
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    A new discussion has been created comparing the merits of the other midsize trucks with those of the Ridgeline. Thse include Dodge Dakota, GMC Canyon, Toyota Tacoma, and Nissan Frontier.

If you would like to help in getting this forum off the ground, please join in.

It can be found in the "pickups" forums, or when looking for Ridgeline, Tacoma, and Nissan Frontier. I hope to get links from the Dodge and GMC pages added soon.

Thanks,

thegrad
  • tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    roaddog: You really had me worried with the start of your post! Glad to read on and figure out you were talking about driving on ice I guess. Phew!

Quote: "I have some low traction action under my belt now. Here's my comments".

TB
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    CHUCKLE !!!!!!!!!
  • ergoergo Member Posts: 56
    Payload does not rival...

Honda's literature states (follow the asterisks) 500lbs. of its "half-ton" MUST BE IN THE CAB! :(

That's a requirement no other "truck" requires. ;)

:mad:
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    I think we need a new forum topic focusing on the psychological aspects of full size truck owners and their seemingly endless need to rip on the Ridgeline. Head shrinkers feel free to weigh in. There has got to be something going on here that doesn't meet the eye.
    Head shrinkers feel free to weigh in. There has got to be something going on here that doesn't meet the eye.

It's called "domestic disease," and it's usually terminal. Symptoms are delusions of supremacy, followed by endless ranting. This sickness is a close relative of "mine is bigger than yours disease," which is also usually terminal.

The only known cure is buying a "foreign" brand, but for best results, buy something Japanese.

Bob
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    And also don't mention ANY negative posts about the
    ridgelines strut problems that occured in Edmunds
    test vehicle (blew out ALL 4) or other strut
    problems posted at the "other" ridgelineownersclub forum..........

Some of you folks just have to stop posting negative
    untruths too................... :P

"Good luck on this one now"
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    ...as much as anyone, keep the personal attacks and derogatory comments to yourself.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • bobwhobobwho Member Posts: 24
    Thank you, Kcram. I hope we can all settle down and agree to disagree. For all the Ridgeline owners, we like/love the vehicle we purchased for it's function, ride, and safety. Those that have a domestic vehicle bought for similar reasons. No one is going to win as everyone has their own opinion be it good or bad based on their personal experience. Every vehicle has their problems, so if you can't bring up something to help or inform other owners of problems or personal experiences, than you are no help to me or anyone else. I come here to this forum to be informed, not hear a bunch of junk. I don't need to troll around and make comments on other vehicle forums. Why should I since I do not drive/own/had owned that vehicle. This on going battle of my truck is better than your truck is one reason I left for awhile. So lets just all agree that their present vehicle is ok/better/worst, than YOURS!!!!
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    There is fine print that instantly subtracts 500 lbs from the payload that can go in the bed hidden in the literature somewhere?

That basically means to me that a Ridgeline can still haul the weight stated, but not as much over the rear axle. I wonder if that's got anything to do with the IRS?
    Rob, you make some good points; and, I've tried to be civil. To some of your points, though: The constant barrage of "Your vehicle stinks and only Hondas are good" is the only tactic Honda owners use in other threads here in Town Hall. Just read any thread involving a Honda (especially the Civic) versus another brand (especially if the other brand is Korean). It's not much fun when your vehicle of choice is being attacked for no real reason and you feel the need to defend your vehicle even though it has not really done anything wrong.

As to when you said: "You effectively did come out and say "ridge owners do nothing but plant flowers and lay mulch" in a Ridge discussion"--I did not say that. If you read back through this thread, you will see that it was RL advocates who said that Honda was not marketing the RL to users who have heavy duty uses or in the construction field. It is marketed for Joe Homeowner and they have lower hauling needs.

One last thing here, to the guy who actually owns a Ridgeline and thinks the looks of disgust from American truck owners is a look of defeat knowing that Honda has built a better truck and now American trucks are all dinosaurs: If you have to think that to feel okay about your truck, then go ahead. I can assure you that you are mistaken, however.