Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued VII

meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
This topic is a continuation of Topic 1471....

Chevy Silverado - Continued VI. Please continue
these discussions here.

Front Porch Philosopher
SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host

Comments

• majormorgymajormorgy Member Posts: 30
    rhino stepgrill guard-pictures i've seen looks like the tow hooks are outboard of the guard and still usable. good point tho. i'll have to check to make sure they're still usable before i buy any brand. went to gorhino.com and under new products, they show a white 3dr. silver. and it looks like the hooks are still usable.
    thanks.
  • dmickdmick Member Posts: 28
    I installed the Weston Nerf bars, Nice installation no drilling needed, I purchased the black rather than the SS bars because there is very little chrome or SS on the truck. I think they look good, sorry no pictures yet. the reason I purchased them was because of Shadetree Mechanic showcased them on a show around the last summer after I had purchased my 2000 3/4 ls truck and I liked the ease of installation
  • epoeepoe Member Posts: 56
    Hi, any thoughts on which fuel take to get on this truck? (long bed of course). Thanks for any insight! ;)
  • rshornsbyrshornsby Member Posts: 200
    Do you have a choice on a long bed? The only listing that I have seen is a 34 gal tank.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    Long bed..34
    Short bed - 26

- Tim
  • dropperdropper Member Posts: 47
    I think that blank is also used for the On-Star system. As to what else could go there, a friend of mine who has a Tahoe said that in an options book (probably dealer options) he saw a mirror to watch the back seat (ideal for looking after the kiddies).

Personally, I would have liked a 3 way learning remote in that spot.
  • jimtncjimtnc Member Posts: 36
    Can someone tell me how to read the VIN to get info, such as when/where manufactured, etc? I ordered a tonneau cover without letting them check the paint code(just told them is was pewter), now I'm hearing there may be some difference in the paint from Canada and the US. Anyway, just got my new 2000 1500LS and it rides like a dream. Very quiet also. It may take a little time to get used to the steering. Please let me know about my VIN question, folks. Thanks.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    I got a price from rhino on the step guard they told me $446.89 uninstalled. I just sent the guy an email to find out about the tow hooks as soon as i find out ill post it. The gorhino nerf bars do not have a part number yet for 4 dr trucks. HEs looking into that for me too. Ill let u know.

Ryan
  • bluebeastbluebeast Member Posts: 258
    Gas shot up .......93 oct. $1.31. Have yet to crack the 16mile per gallon (city). Ryan, will the flares help in aerodynamics? (I hope this does not mean the other glove is coming off).

Kanton, any pictures of your completed lift? Specially if you have a picture next to a stock Silverado.
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    I you want fuel mileage you should have bought a Tundra.... You got a truck now and you can't be crying about fuel mileage, you want fuel mileage buy a Toyota imitation truck.

No wonder Ryan want to smack you.
    No i think the flares actually inhibit areodynamic cause they stick out and probably make MPG worse but im sure by a miniskule amount. No i put the other glove back on its really cold out and my hand was freezing.

Ryan
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    the automatic spray nozzles, so when I get out of the mud they automatically clean the wheels, they do however have a slight wind resistance regarding aerodynamics. LOL

How's that Roger!

Ray T.
  • gsxr1216gsxr1216 Member Posts: 62
    I have a 2000 LS 2500 6.0 liter auto 4x4 ext cab shortbox,3.73 rear locker.
    It has a tick in the motor on cold starts, it now has 6000 miles on it, it sounds like lifter tick but it seems to be lower in the motor, and it only does it cold. I can let it warm up in the morning for ten minutes and it still there. Afer you drive five miles or so it is gone. Any ideas
    Thanks
    Cam
  • rshornsbyrshornsby Member Posts: 200
    Good going, I think I would like those also.

Roger.
  • rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    If you went with the Tindra, mileage would have been LOWER for a comparible setup. Just as all Toy trucks getr lousy mileage.
  • m1685m1685 Member Posts: 71
    Look in your owners manual, if not there, call your local chevy dealer and talk to someone in service or parts department.
  • vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    The VIN number will be explained in the shop manual when they finally release it. But since you bought the truck new you already know everything, I don't think the VIN will tell you any more than the window sticker.
    I have the same engine with 4k miles, no noise. Sounds like a stuck lifter. Try thiner synthetic oil next time. How cold is cold? The coldest I've had mine so far is in the 40s which isn't much of a challenge.
  • scoonerscooner Member Posts: 5
    I do remember, when this topic was "young", someone posted a web site that explained what VIN# meant. It explained "model year, engine, assembly plant...etc". Does anyone remember ??

Scooner
  • fgilbyfgilby Member Posts: 8
    I hope that I didn't open up a can of worms with my post about the wheel flares? I want to apologize to anyone who was offended with my opinion.

I fairly new to this site & was not my intent to upset anybody!

Ryanbab, I'm sure that your truck will look nice but I think it will look better having the same color flares as the body.

My truck was not ordered with the wheel flares, I just don't like the look of them. It makes the truck look like a 3/4 ton pickup! I'm sure a lot of people like that look, I don't!

I also don't like the idea of dirt, mud, etc. getting inside there. I know that you can wash it out but it must still rub on the paint? I have decided to order the Chevy mud flaps instead! Much cheaper & I think it makes the truck look better then the wheel flares.

I have to strongly disagree with you (ryanbab) about having the wheel flares on the Z71 off road pkg. If I had that I would remove the flares ASAP!

Thank you, fgilby!
  • fgilbyfgilby Member Posts: 8
    Sorry for posting again, but the fender flares don't prevent mud & dirt from spraying up on the rocker panels. The mud flaps do a much better job of keeping the dirt off the truck!
  • rudigerrudiger Member Posts: 6
    Ok someone xplain the difference between the shop manuals that you can order from www.helminc.com for $120. and the service manual you can order from the back of your owners manual from helm inc. for $95.
    Seems to me that you get the same info, except for $25 more for ordering over the internet.
    BTW-I am talking about a 99 Silverado, not MM.

Kurt
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    If your truck is new, it will have a sticker in the door jamb listing the assembly plant. Well, at least mine does, listing Pontiac East assembly plant.

Failing that, the first digit in your VIN will indicate the country of origin. 1,4 indicate US built. 2 means Canadian built.

The eleventh digit indicates the plant it was built in. E = Pontiac East, Z = Ft. Wayne, Ind,
    1 = Oshawa, Ontario.

Mike
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    If your truck is new, it will have a sticker in the door jamb listing the assembly plant. Well, at least mine does, listing Pontiac East assembly plant.

Failing that, the first digit in your VIN will indicate the country of origin. 1,4 indicate US built. 2 means Canadian built.

The eleventh digit indicates the plant it was built in. E = Pontiac East, Z = Ft. Wayne, Ind,
    1 = Oshawa, Ontario.

Mike
    may not keep the splash from hitting the rockers...it sure helps take the abuse of the little rocks that get stuck in he tires and get flung!....especially if you have On/off road tires.

And for all the comments about Ryan and taking off the gloves.....at his age...How do we know they aren't mittens??

LOL

- Tim
  • gsxr1216gsxr1216 Member Posts: 62
    I run Mobil one synthetic, i beleive i have 5-30 in it now (maybe 10-30) I can not remember now i know it was either blue, or green cap since that is all that i buy. Anyways, anything under 40 degrees i notice the noise, even if the truck warms up for 10 minutes (which gets the temp guage over 170 deg) it still makes the noise. I was surfing on another sight (pacific-audio) and i saw a post from someone who had a similar noise and GM replaced the whole motor saying that it was a crankshaft oiling problem, seems odd to me, besides the noise the truck runs great and has tons of power. Thanks for your input
    Cam
    ALright i wont comment on that one. But i will comment on flares they do protect from flying rocks. Huskylinigs makes a mudflap for the 99 and 2000 trucks that can be put on with the flares unlike many of the mudflaps. They have their own part number. They look like the chevy ones without the chevy and are a little longer.

Ryan
  • number1number1 Member Posts: 71
    How much are the chevy mudflaps. I opted for the larger (255/70r16) tires on mine and really see the need. BTW: The upgraded WOL tires were Generals which was a little disappointing since it is a $295 option. I also saw 235/70r16 generals (in the Phoenix lot) on non-upgraded tires.

Maybe they switched brands because of vibration problems in the 99 models.
    Only large tires are the P265's thats they way to go. Why wouldnt you? Its a truck gotta be big.

Ryan
    The difference between manuals is none. The owner's manual price is just not correct. It's not like GM is going to make a shop manual, and a 75% shop manual. They have enough trouble getting one out.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    getting out trucks... much less manuals!!
  • akmarkakmark Member Posts: 4
    I have the same engine in my 99 3/4 LS SB and have been using Mobil 1 since 500 mi, 15000 now. I have hauled up and down the ALCAN hwy with a 23" trailer, and I mean I REALLY HAULED, at times over 80 mph. I have started it several times at well below 0 degrees and also where it was 90. I have never heard any unusual noise from this engine! It seems to love to show its power and I have never needed more than it could provide, except one time when it was empty and the 98 mph cutout came way to quick.
    I think you need to talk to your dealer about a new engine, CAM
  • jimtncjimtnc Member Posts: 36
    appreciate all the help and suggestions. It's exactly what I was looking for. This is a great forum to keep up with Siverado faults, accolades and trends. Once again, thanks. I'll be lurking around on this forum somewhere.
    You might need to see the eye doctor, I believe your bifocal prescription may need to be updated. I was just stating what mileage I get, information only. Oh, by the way, you mention the Toyota Tundra as an option for me to buy for "better gas mileage", in the Silverado VI page you mentioned looking at a Lexus RX300 to trade in your Silverado because of some problems you were having, is your loyalty shifting towards the east now?
    My 3/4 has a similar noise....goes away when warm. Not really a biggee. Runs fine. Use M1 5-30.

- Tim
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    It is you who is in need of them glasses (it's not 249).

No loyalty change, I just like far to many vehicles. I need to win the lotto so I can enjoy more of them that's all.

I will admit that while my Silverado is finally coming around, after many trips to the dealer, I'm still a little discouraged with GM lately and that has made my eye wander elsewhere. However, not discouraged enough to even look at, or God forbid say the word, Ford or Dodge yet. I'm looking for QUALITY, and for 30+K we should be getting it.

Knowing your experiences with Toyota, unless your posts are not true, you seem to like them far east vehicles. You have owned several Toyota'a and now have a Lexus to go with your truck. Let's just say the thrill of going back to the dealer and waiting weeks for replacement parts has worn thin.
  • 1179ss1179ss Member Posts: 1
    trans failed with no warning signs, shifts from first to second and thats it (stays in second gear) no check engine light. dealer proposed to replace transmission under warranty 32000 miles
    anyone else have this trouble?
    Put in your VIN at this site: http://calid.gm.com/vci/

Then, it will tell you which calibrations are available for your truck & brief description of each.

I got 2000 LT Z71 myself, but your aforementioned bulletin # is not coming up on my VIN for "growl".

Scooner
    My part # for "eliminate drive line growl" gave: 09358176
    All right Bob, how do you change the type colors??? It adds a little spice to the topic!
    e-mail me the answer if you don't want to post it.
    My e-mail is under my profile.

Ryan, Looks like I have to keep the flares, a body shop guy told me they are a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] to take off because you have to seperate inner/outer fender wells to get to them. He also said he has not seen any trucks w/flares prematurely rusting in that area since GM started using them.
    So I guess my next step is to find a Husky dealer in my area to get the preformed mud flaps to fit flares from.

Ray T.
    you pasted the test and caught the error I made on purpose. So that eliminates your vision and only leaves your mind as suspect.

Key words in your statement are "in the past", I have seen the light and am a enlightened Silverado owner now. Can't get rid of the Lexus though, wifes car and she makes more money, so I think I'll let her keep it.
    There are a limited number of places who sell the husky mudflaps. Go to http://www.huskylinings.com and get the phone number and call them up. Closet dealer to me was 2 and a half hrs away. They told me they can sell direct but only if i couldnt find em. They are $29.95 a pair i believe. Ziebart if u have one of these they told me is the best place to get em they stock them. Under that website i enclosed look for the mudflap and get the part number for the silverado w/flares so u buy the correct ones. Hope this helps you out Ray. I told you they dont rust fast still have an 87 blazer no rust around factory flares.

Ryan
    Ryan - Thanks, as the days get closer for delivery I'll check this out for the flaps. I did find out today that my truck is being built at the Pontiac "east" plant this week but no specific date as to when, so by Friday it should be done if not sooner. Now cust. assist. is telling me to go directly thru dealer with any further requests for delivery info, they contradicted themselves again as opposed to what they said yesterday, but what else is new!

Bob259 - Thanks for the info but it won't work here from my place of work. I tried to e-mail you back but it was undeliverable for some reason or other.

Ray T.
  • mbrmbr Member Posts: 10
    Anybody having any problems with their fuel pump on 99 silverado's? I have 22,000 miles on my truck and every time the fuel gets low the fuel pump starts whining. The dealership is going to replace it, i was just wondering if anyone else has had the problem.
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    (Odenmeyer) I had that same noise on my 91 GMC Suburban, bought it new..I figured it was normal, even got used to the growling....Then a friend got in one day and asked what that noise was, I told him the dealer said it was normal, he told me to have a 2nd dealers opinion, well i did they told me not to drive it........ended up replacing the rear alxe..3 grand. So have a dealer check that before your warranty expires...have them look real close and make sure they document it.
  • murizarmurizar Member Posts: 33
    it took me several weeks to catch up with the posts so I was not able to comment so I hope this is not too late:

Line-X for my long bed truck and over the rails cost me $429.00 with tax. They give $25.00 back when you get some one else to buy one (one time only).

There is a company called Toff that has a spray on liner that is 1/2 thick if not thicker. Made up of supper duper soft rubber material looking stuff. Very expensive but if you throw a shovel at it it will bounce right back.

If you buy a BASE truck like I did make sure you buy the black body side moldings right away. After a month I ended with 7 dents right at the places where the molding would have gone. I bought it after wards and it covered the dents very nicely for $132.00 with tax.

USE #32 FOR WHEEL FLARES: cover dents, caused by rude people and their cheap car doors, that would have been protected if you had wheel flares to start with. If some one does not want their black set of wheel flares let me know I will buy if price right. That also goes for people with stainless steel rims, tires etc.

I don't know about no blue goo. Try Rain-x pink goo instead. Works great just like the wipe on rain-x. It also does not remove the wipe on rain-x and combined work twice as well. The only draw back is the sissy color and it cost more.

If I had to put my SILVERADO's tool box on a Tundra it would have to sit side ways.

On my last trip of over 600 miles of highway with 4.8L, standard cab, long bed, 3.78, standard transmission and no load except tool box I got almost 23 mpg. My worst in the city is a little over 17 mpg.
    TALKED TO RHINO SPRAY IN GUY ABOUT (OPPS SORRY BOUT CAPS) the bedliner and what happens about dents. He says he sees it and they cant fix it but and he stressed this the liner still sticks to the dent to still give u protection. Dents happen if u throw things into the back. He also said things can slide if u take off like a bad out of hell (0-60 in a few seconds racing camaros and stuff). Just thought id add about the dent info i got saturday.

Ryan
  • planejaneplanejane Member Posts: 167
    I had that once. One morning it was real cold out, maybe in the teens. I thought, what the hell! When it warmed up it was fine, actually it ticked just for a moment. Never had it happen again. Knock on wood.

Does anyone ever notice that they get "shocked" when then touch the door to close it? I almost always get a little static electricity when I close the door. Seems to happen more often than not.

Cindy
This discussion has been closed.