Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Touareg Maintenance and Repair

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
Please post any problems and possible solutions you have experienced with your Touareg.

Steve, Host

Comments

• bulsarabulsara Member Posts: 21
    When my back seats are laid down to extend the cargo bed...I get pretty severe indentations on the backrest portion at top of seat where it touches the metal on the floor.

Does someone have a simple fix like inserting a commonly/economically found object that would stay in place and stowaway in the rear.

Thanks,

Cy
  • spockcatspockcat Member Posts: 100
    That's an easy one. You are putting the rear seats down incorrectly.

Lift the rear seat cushion and look on the underside. You will see a bracket which should have a rubber cover. Now fold the upper half of the seat down (with the headrest removed and make sure that bracket comes to rest in the plastic receptor that is on the top of the seat underneath the headrest. If you do that, the seat backrest will never touch any metal underneath the seat. No leather indentations.
    Thanks Dr Spock! Will look for it and do as suggested.

Cy
  • iwannano2iwannano2 Member Posts: 12
    I woke up to a dead battery on 12/17/03. Towed Treg to nearest dealer-100miles. Dealer said they could not find anything except a discharged battery and charged battery . Told me it was fixed. To make a long story shorter, I picked up Treg and Nav unit had me on I55 which was at least ten miles away. Took it right back. On 1/09/04 I was called by the dealer and they said they had experienced another problem. The starter would not dis-engage, so they cut the wire to the starter. THEY Called the VW Treg tech hotline and the problem is a wiring harness that came from the factory too close to the manifold and had been heated and chaffed into bare wire. The fix is to drop the frontend, take motor out, take wiring out, rewire, and then re-install motor. I paid over $51,000 for this and I cannot accept this in a new vehicle. If it were a minor problem, that is a lot different. I would never feel safe or have any confidence in this Treg again I have a chronic illness and have to have reliable transportaiton and I do not have any confidence in this particular Treg . I love Touaregs and I really am upset about this and will try and get VWOA to replace it as I fould another Treg owner with the same identical problem and VWOA replaced the Treg in that case. They are identical, so I am hoping.
      This is MAJOR , Big time trouble and I have sold cars, have friends who have sold cars and none can say that any real MAJOR electrical problem is ever fixed.
      It had ha d a dead battery before this happened and they changed a generator out. This was the fix at that time. Now its a whole different story and I just know this one is one of the ones that got through somehow that should not have,
     I hope all who are owners will share their experiences on this board. Good and bad. I wish this was not happening but things like thuis DO happen and that is why I am so glad to see a board with this topic.
  • rower2rower2 Member Posts: 22
    Tyre Pressure Monitor warning light- The antennas are too close to the wheel well. After four visits to one dealer with no luck, the second dealer I took it to moved the antennas and no problem at all. (They had to move them on both sides)

Wind Whistle over 50mph- Move racks to the back or take the cross bars off altogether.
  • brundogbrundog Member Posts: 13
    I got my T-reg last week. It now has about 320 miles on it - not very representative of a long ownership period, I admit.

There are only a few things that bug me. Two I consider a problem and will need to be fixed, the other is a design flaw and I will live with it:

1. The remote FOB distance is horrible. I can not be any further than 10 ft from the car and in many cases it wont work even standing next to it. I know this is a common problem, but it needs be remedied.

2. One of my brakes squeeks. It doesn't happen all of the time, but it happens with enough brake pressure and often enough to get to me. I am hoping it resolves itself with more miles. If it doesn't the dealer will be writing this on a service ticket soon.

3. The radio stinks - and I have the upgraded 300W version. The sound is OK but it is a little boomy, I wish it had less mid bass. The radio does not have RDS. For the life of me I cannot understand this. Also, the steering wheel controls are malconceived. The volume buttons should be on the left side of the wheel, not the right. Why would I use my right hand to push the button when it could simply go over a little to the radio's volume knob?? Also, there is no way to scroll through the saved stations. The thumbwheel will seek up or down, but who does this that often? It should move to the next stored station up or down.

-BD
  • tbirristbirris Member Posts: 1
    Picked up my Touareg a week ago. Very enjoyable, but that remote has a mind of it's own. I tried to search previous discussions, but couldn't find the solution for the fix. Sometimes the doors unlock and sometimes they don't. Sometimes the hatch unlocks and.....
    I looked at the settings in MFI and thought I had a fix.
    Any help out there?
    MY STORY:

I bought a Treg V8 Prem Plus, 19' diff locks .It was made in June and I have 7k miles on it and it. I woke up one day to find it would not start. I had to have it towed a hundred miles to the nearest dealer. This was on 12/17/03. I called the nest day and problem was not diagnosed yet. Called a day or so later, they said they charged the battery and it was all OK now.,

I picked it up on 12/2603 to find a blown out a door speaker, broken motor surround panels and messed up the battery cover. I drove it around the block to find the Nav unit had me on a interstate some 10 miles away. I took it right back to dealer and told them everything. They said they were SORRY. They ordered parts and said there is a national back order on Treg parts. If you keep calling VWOA customer Care , they can try and expedite parts from Germany. There is a law that parts have to be in the country . VW has not addressed this requirement.
     Anyway, on 1/9/04 they said they had found the real problem. It is a factory defective electrical wiring that was placed too close to the manifold and is chaffed. The fix is to drop the front end, take the motor out and un-install complete wiring harness. Then re-wire the vehicle, re-install the engine, re-install the frontend. To this I have said NO THANKS! I cannot pay over 50k and end up with a MAJOR problem that so far in my searchng, and talking to many techs, service departments from many dealers, all who said, they have never seen an electrical problem of this MAGNITUDE , FIXED. IT WILL ALWAYS BE UNRELIABLE. I EXPECT VWOA TO REPLACE THIS TREG. I cannot and will not accept this from a 50 something thousand dollar vehicle. I would never feel safe or like I had a dependable vehicle after so much re-manufacturing of the vehicle.

I found an identical case on the townhall Touareg forum and the vehicle was replaced .

I am finally delighted there is NOW a forum within Townhall where Touareg owners can report their problem, experience and solutions . A lot of the threads have no owners making comments. Many are just jawing backj and for forth and are not actuial OWNERS who are experiencing anything .
    Please post your problems , comments, experience, , etc..

Thanks and hopefully we can get VWOA to listen to us. This was my first VW and will be my last unless VWOA comes clean and replaces or buys back the UNMERCHANTABLE. TOUAREG I ENDED UP WITH. It cost almost 52K with the tow hitch and thats does not include any license title, tax, etc....... If you are fed up with the treatment you have received from VWOA or have a problem that is of the major category and feel slighted, join in and post.

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You did't mention it in your post but did you ASK for a replacement?

tidester, host
    Host asked if VW was asked to replace Treg, They were asked and have denied. In an IDENTICAL CASE VW DID REPLACE THE TREG. Litigation has proceeded and I will update when there are updates available.
    Thanks and keep posting.
    This problem is being addressed by a dealer in PA by running the antenna wire up the A pillar. There is an ongoing discussion about this elsewhere. Supposedly a 60+ foot range all around the car is possible.
    Where is this ongoing discussion? Is this something a resonably skilled person can manage? Where is the control module and antenna?

-BD
    Email me for details.
    Per 4x4s recommendation in some other forums to temporarily remove the radio's fuse, I tried it, and garsh dangit, it worked!

Like a charm - hat's off to you for finding it!

-BD
    Hi Dr. Spock:

Is the dealer doing this fix in PA going with a VW reco'd fix...or just a personal discovery type thang? If it is a VW rec'od thing I will ask my dealer to do it.

As for the person's complaint, that the remote seems to have a mind of it's own...I initially had that type of problem for a day or so and it is created by pressing it again and again, in very quick succession. Wait a second and then press again. Also there will be certian zones around your car it will always work foolprooof and some not! Like being on the driver's door side helps as the antenna is somewherw there in the wheel well, but if you are directly behind the car it will not. Also, to open all doors mine is set to two presses of the button and one presonly opens the driver's door. Rear hatch need two presses too.

Cy
    Sorry, I can't recall all the details. I've sent you an email where you can read them. I can't post the link here.
  • jd1318jd1318 Member Posts: 7
    my remote distance is fine, 50'+. my problem is that last week my remote wouldn't work. i reset it like the owners manual said and it worked fine again for a few days and then stopped working and i reset it again. this cycle has happened twice more. has any one else had this problem and know the cause? does anyone have a fix without going back to the dealer?
  • elemintelemint Member Posts: 79
    Anyone look into getting different wheels since there is basically no tires made for the odd touareg wheel size (255/60-17)
    Anyone else have this?

I can program a preset for the driver seat and the outside mirrors no problem. When I move them, then press the memory button to recall the set positions, everything works except the passenger mirror. It never returns to the preset position despite what the joystick is set to (R or L), and naturally, I cannot program the setting for vehicle reverse either. I have tried many different ways to get this to work (ignition on / off / reverse / joystick positions, etc)!

Any ideas appreciated.

-BD
  • sunny20sunny20 Member Posts: 1
    To say the least we are so far very disappointed w/ our new V8 Toureg. Owned it for 7 weeks been in the shop for 2 and not fixed yet.

AC makes a very loud noise when on-- none of the other V8's seemed to do this.

Roof Rack when spread is loud--service said keep them at back together--not practical for someone who uses them almost daily.

Air Bag Default light has been on--so far not fixed. The service dept said worst case scenario they would not work in case of accident! I would definitely call that Worst case scenario!

Seat indentations are terrible and do not come out--Service dept said seats should not be left down---too bad we didn't know our car would be in the shop for 2 weeks trying to fix airbags.

We love a lot of things about the Toureg but it doesn't seem to be quite as refined as other luxury vehicles in its class. Hope VW works to improve.
  • frustratedownrfrustratedownr Member Posts: 5
    Greetings,

I've been posting my problems with my vin #28xx V8 purchased on 9/27/03 on the T-rag discussion site.

The last time my car was in the shop, from 11/19/03 - 12/24/04, the dealer said they were fixing thing that I had never brought to their attention. The one that concerns me is the dead battery due to "bass faults" putting a drain on my battery. They claim to have replaced my stereo amplifier to solve this problem. That didn't work. It then took a couple more weeks to replace the A/C control module. then the Steering Wheel Elec. Control Module.

Does any one here know what the laws are about services departments disclosing ALL Repairs?

Is this enough time to drop the eng & rewire the car?

I'm not a paranoid person but VWoA hasn't exactly been treating me like a customer they care about. They've reached their decision about my request for replacement and haven't returned my phone calls the last 2 days to tell me what their decision is.

Any Thoughts?
  • ace234ace234 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a new V8, but.... Anyone having whistle sound from the right outside mirror? I know it's the mirror because when I reach out and fold it in the whistle stops. Very annoying.
    Also, the gas pedal is too sensitive when it is first applied, any one else? And....sure does down shift hard when coming to a stop. Nervous about finding other things I might not be happy about. Too bad these don't show up in the test drive.
    Hi, I have had a simalar issue but not as long a you have had and, my advise is to file a lemon law with the states attorney generals office. Your case satisfies requirements of my stste and then some but you should check withthe lemonlawamerica.com , I think, this is correct but if not just do a search for the lemon law on google and you will find your states lemon law. I would not accept a defective NEW expensive or fatr that matter, any defective new car.
    VWOA has treated me withthe same disregard as they have you and I have seen many others who have had sililar experiences with VWOA. MY regional VWOA rep was extremely rude and tried to raoilroad theissue but he got stopped. I am in litigation as I type this and will do whatever it takes to get this resolved in the way VWOA should have done in the first place. If I cannot get better service than what I have experienced with VW my next car will not be a VW treg. I loved the treg too, so its not like I am trying to find problems. Problems with mine were evident and the dealership discovered another problem while mine was in the shop as well, so I cannot say if this is a normal thing or not. They cut the wires going to my starter because they said it would not disengage, which never happened and was not the problem I took it in for, which was a dead battery.
    The Treg is supposed to be designed for the battery to never die. This info is in the manual but did not work on the treg I got, and from the posts I have read, it has not worked on any with a dead battery ot ther wouold beno dead battery problems.
    I do not know what is the REAL problem, but there are enough problems with the treg to keep VW busy for the next year, from what I have seen and I am sure I have only seen a minute number of total Treg problems out there. IMHO, I think they delivered a defective, unmerchantable vehicle from the getgo. If not then why all the dead batteries, and many other glitches and electrical as well as mechanical problems. it is 2004 with technology to know what is what BEFORE YOU RELEASE IT TO THE PUBLIC FOR SALE. I feel as if they are trying to get it right AFTER the point of sale, which I will not accept.
    GoodLuck and you should not have any problems getting your treg replaced. It may take some time, but if money is aas tight for uyou as it is for me, time is on MY SIDE>. I will wait it out.
    Thanks and sorry your having so much trouble. Sorry I am too anda all the other horror stories I have seen. I honestly can say that by far there are many more unsatisfied buyers on the forums I have seen than satisfied buyers or owners.
    BAd for VW aAND THE CONSUMER. Maybe VW will take notice. ALl I can do is wait and see.
    Again god luck and hang in there!
    ace234,
    If you l;ook at the posts or doa search with wind noise in the search area, you will find this is a common problem with Tregs owners. I cannot recall this problem but I have not driven minessince 12/26/03 and that was for just around the block at the dealer service before taking it right back becasue the problems caused by the service techs., Thye messed up a few things and had to order parts and did NOT FIX ANYTHING!!! read my posts if you wanna see an real whammy!
    Sorry, maybe spockat can offer assistance, he is well known in the Trehg forums her and at VW vortex and must be a pretty hip cat when it comes to VW products.
    Wish I could offer you a fix but I don't have a treg till litigation is settled with VWOA.
    Hope this is all the problems you have. WIsh this were my problem.
    Good luck!
    There have been a few mentions of this here and elsewhere but not everyone has the problem. I have heard what I thought were my mirrors causing a whistling noise once. Probably due to some odd crosswind.

I have also heard a whistling noise once coming from the rear of my car. It could have been from the rack grooves (I have my racks off completely) and a crosswind. Or it could have been the rear hatch seal. But it hasn't happened since.

So I know of no definitive solution to any specific wind noise.
  • mferreiramferreira Member Posts: 1
    I have owned a Treg for less than 2 months, about 1.5K miles. Been to the service center 3 times, taking it back there monday again. Lemon law in NY says car must replaced if a permanent fix cannot be achieved after 4 attemptns, so this will be my 4th and hopefully last.
    Basically all electronics are simply UNSTABLE. I first noticed the keychain, not only range is ridiculous, less than 10', but also programming which doors I want opened on the MFI doesnt last more than a couple of trips, it simply resets itself everytime. Plus the tire pressure system sometimes shows a sybol meaning it's not being able to 'read' preassures. Another time car wouldnt move, key wasnt recognized and the immobilizer was activated. Then on multiple occasions air conditioning system has its own wishes, Even on MANUAL position fan speed will sometimes shoot up to max. SOmetimes I can turn it back down, sometimes it will freeze on max for about 10-20 seconds before it responds to my command. Air distribution buttons will switch themselves on and off randomly. Sometimes pressing one button (any one) will cause another one to switch on or off. On one occasion I was driving by myself, both hands on the wheel, air con unit was OFF, suddenly it switched on and went all the way to max. Opening the backhatch requires luck, sometimes it will open, sometimes i have to keep the button down for several seconds. Dealership: sales dept simply said it's not their problem. Service dept. has been very polite, but althought they recognize the key problem, even had it replaced (to absolutely no avail however) the air con and tire press. problems they try to make it seem as if I am accidentally touching buttons all the time, they say they cannot "replicate" the problem, of course they never will, you'd have to be driving around to experience such instability, things happen randomly, on and off. I was also fed some pretty childish excuses such as "the owner's manual is wrong, VW hasnt had the time to rewrite it, bu we guarantee the problem is fixed now".. then next day same problem again. ALso tire pressure never complains when tires are cold, only after i've driven for about 30 minutes, i.e. after tires are warmer, I get the "pressure system fault" message, that means not a tire pressure problem, it is a tire pressure GAUGING SYSTEM PROBLEM, but the folks at VW insist it's because of cold wheather. Honestly I'd love the car if it worked, it's a pretty expensive V8... I have given up and am looking fwd to having the serviceman acknowledge problem is unfixable and take this lemon back. Worst of all, when I asked if other people were reporting the same problem (if the owner's manual is "wrong" then surely more people who follow its instructions will have similar problems with their keys?) I was told that NOBODY likes to have all doors opened and therefore NOBODY complains about their keys (of course all other problems are my own fault they imply). Reading msgs here I noticed that perhaps I am not the only man in America who wants doors opening easily). HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT!!!
    Read the first post on this board and you will see that this has been a huge dissapointment for me as well. I hope that VW will repl;ace this one without too much more time but I am in this for the long haul and the one I got is top of the model line except for parkronic and onstar and winter pkg and was over 51k . I will not eat this one and will go to the SUPREME COURT IF NECESARY. I am angry, letdown, dissapointed and frustrated and riding in my old 93 Nissan untill this is settled. I am going for everything I can get outta VW becasue of the way VWOA has acted towards me . They ca eat it and everything else that is coming there way because of this.
    I can only say I hope you get your rep[laced or bought back by VWOA ASAP without all the hassle I have had and please post any updates.
    I have promised to update as soon as I have any news.
    The attorney is in cha=rge of it now, so I can only wait till it a done deal.
    IT will be done too! I have no concern about that. JUst a mater of time and time means money , YA know!. I hope VWOA knows this too.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    There is something fishy about your posts. All I can say is that for someone who has the where-with-all to purchase a $51,000 automobile, your posts (Grammar & spelling) are confusing and disjointed. Please specifiy what your problems are and not go into a tirade on how VWoA is so terrible.

Also, if I may give a little advice, if you are presenting yourself to your VW dealer with the kind of attitude you are expressing here on this board, I am afraid you are shooting yourself in the foot. The more polite and direct you are, the more likely the dealer will work as your advocate. Good luck and I really do hope your issues get worked out. It is a shame you can't enjoy your new vehicle.
    well this topic has pretty much into the same bit-- and moan as the regular Touareg thread.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It sounds like you're now talking about a legal problem and I don't think anyone here is qualified to offer advice.

tidester, host
  • panzerpanzer Member Posts: 125
    Verified this weekend on a long trip. The speedometer display (dial) is 4.2 percent optimistic (high), but the odometer is spot-on.
     In my last few posts, I was replying to and expressing MHO on a related experience with a similar problem to a specific person.
    My grammar and spelling is something I do not normally check as this is not deep space we are talking about here. I did just switch from a desktop to a laptop so typo's will abound for a while but unless you are not able to comprehend the basic english language, you should be able to get the jest of most any post I have seen here and, if not, get over it, move on to the next .
    If there is a problem , it seems it is that we we all do not agree and last time I checked this is still legal. WE all have different experiences and SO what. Whats new!

tidster, I was not asking for advise and have an attorney handling this. I was replying to a specific post. Hope this is still OK to do here.
  • sgbassinsgbassin Member Posts: 22
    which number fuse is it? the manual doesn't show it
    than
    stan
    i emailed in haste. it was on the next page.
    anyway it worked!!
    dealer told me it was a software glitch.
    they know crap. people on this board are GREAT
    thanks
  • blazer4949blazer4949 Member Posts: 2
    Any one have the two release buttons for the motion and towing on the door post down on the drivers side by the seatbelt? They are used to shut off the alarm if needed. Mine does not have them.
    Doesn't exist in US models, only in the translated version of the German manual.
  • ni7irsni7irs Member Posts: 4
    I too have noise from what sounds like the problem described by AC Noise. However, it is clearly the recirculation pump that makes this horribly annoying whining noise. I have brought it to two dealers and both confirm the presence of the noise and that it is the recirculation pump. The only issue is whether all v8's do that or if there is something wrong with the pump.

I also have an issue with the keyless remote. I dont get it. Sometimes it works others not. There is no range whatsoever and the rear button never works. Can someone state the fix re: the fuse?
    Ask the dealer to demonstrate that other V8s on the lot have the same noise. The only time I hear a noise from a recirculation pump is when the car is shut off and I use the REST feature to put heat into the cabin while the car is stopped.

There is a fix for the remote distance. Due to Edmund's rules, I am not allowed to post the location of the fix is located on this forum. The fix involves rerouting the remote module's antenna into the A pillar. If you contact me directly I can give you a link to the fix.
  • enrightenright Member Posts: 1
    Remote is horrible. The first fix was to move the antenna from the bottom of the front bumper to the top of the front bumper. Didn't help still had to be on top of the car to get it work and then it was still very inconsistent. Trip #2 to the shop; after 2 days they extended the antenna thru the head-liner on the driver side. Helped somewhat but when still not as good as my other car. Told on trip #3, today, that it works per the factory specs at this time. Gee, needless to say I didn't leave with that warm fuzzy feeling.
  • rower2rower2 Member Posts: 22
    My dealer contacted VW and they said they were not aware of any swap out program for the mini-headrest. Has anybody gotten one and if so how did you get one? I emailed the dealer a prior post from somebody who got one and they still could not help. Thanks.
    I ordered one back in September or October. Finally came in in December or January. Handed my dealer the large one. He handed me the small one. Part number is: 7L6 885 900 C 7B4 Center low profile headrest anthracite (different 3 letter end code for other colors).
  • joeblazjoeblaz Member Posts: 1
    My new V-8 Prem. Package will be coming in the end of Feb. What experience good or bad has anyone had on the system. I recall when I test drove the Treg, the Nav. voice was very annoying and I couldn't shut off the voice while listening to the radio. Is there a Nav. mute function?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  • ni7irsni7irs Member Posts: 4
    It seems that you hit the volume button repeatedly when she is talking and then you will see it say "nav volume". That's how I got her voume down
    The nav voice can be adjusted to be equal or less than the radio volume. You can also mute the nav voice altogether. Without actually being at the system to explain each step it is a bit difficult to give you the proper instructions. Best would be when you get the car, ask your salesman to show you how or read the manual for the nav system. Be sure that your owner's manual actally has the nav manual though when you pick the car up. Mine didn't have it and I finally got a copy from VWGuild in the mail. Thanks Peter.
    does anyone know how long the car stays unfixed at the dealer. what happens if they cannot find a solution. is there a time limit? the engine light came on, they say its an exhaust problem but no fix after a week already.thanks
    sgbassin,
    You need to look up the lemon laws for your state:

I find autopedia has a good set of links for each state here:
    http://autopedia.com/html/HotLinks_Lemon.html
  • elemintelemint Member Posts: 79
    When i buy a car i expect to NEVER see the dealer again after the waranty expires. However, what do repairs seem to cost? Same as other VW products?
    Nothing. Repairs cost nothing so far. The car has only been out about 8 months in the US. Every one is still under the 4 year warranty. My dealer does oil changes for about $35 parts/labor when I bring in my own oil.

You can expect the non-warranty repairs to be somewhere inbetween what you might pay for an Audi and a VW. At least you won't be paying Porsche, Mercedes or BMW service prices.
  • fencesfences Member Posts: 1
    Well, I'm just as frustrated as the rest of you. My Touareg has almost 5000 miles and I'm very disappointed with VW. Not sure if I would ever purchase another VW after this experience, unless VW comes through with some fixes. Remote stinks (has a mind of its own), Battery was dead on Thanksgiving Day and was fine the next day. Actually, I think it was an electrical issue,the way it sounded when I tried to start it. Weird electrical things happening. Blower going from low to high on its own, sections in the MFI (Comfort) disappeared, then mysteriously reappeared a few weeks later. Wind noise is annoying, seat belt alarm is too loud, along with the daytime running lights, which I wish I could turn both off at my discretion. Spare tire setup kinds of scares me. Wish I could find a spare with a steel wheel to keep at home and use while I get my flat fixed. Not too crazy thinking about changing the tire and trying to inflate the spare in zero degree weather. If VW does not address these issues, I will NOT buy VW ever again. Other than that, everything is fine. LOL......
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will predict what your normal service costs will be; no guesses on unscheduled repairs.

Steve, Host