Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Malibu: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    take heart Maxxlt. If my experience with my Vibe is any indication, GM will not leave you high and dry. I had to take my Vibe in 4 times for a check engine light. "Turn the gas cap tighter", the dealer would keep saying to me, as I clenched my fists tighter and tighter. When I worked with the GM customer service people, and followed the directions in the back of my owner's manual, they seemed more than willing to resolve my problem TO MY SATISFACTION. In the end, Toyota engineers figured out that many of their Corollas had vapor recovery lines improperly connected to the gas tanks, and might be the case with my Vibe; it was. I have not checked out the back of my Maxx's owner's manual, but I'm sure the procedures are there to get your situation resolved TO YOUR SATISFACTION. I feel confident in that. Good luck.
  • Options
    maxxlt2004maxxlt2004 Member Posts: 71
    thanks. i am taking the 1st step in working with my dealership mainly because I know them very good...plus we bought 5 cars from them in the past so i'm hoping they will help me to the fullest satisfaction. if not i'll have to proceed.

do you think in my case an exchange for a similar or different model chevy is fair or should i just keep letting them try and fix the problem?

i'm also waiting on e2helper's response. i hope he can help me in this case.
  • Options
    "I was a little concerned about commenting on this particular case due to how far things looked to have progressed with dealer."

What do you mean by this? I wasn't sure...

I still think that since I drive a 2 year old every day in this car my dealer should look at an exchange for the same or differnt car within the same price range since I've had alot of steering problems as you can see I now feel unsafe with this car. I was also looking at the Equinox. Have they been pretty reliable?

Thanks, let me know.
  • Options
    e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Since you specific asked me for any suggestions here are my thoughts:

I know this was likely done after the column replacement with the follow-up visit but there are a couple "learning" procedures that need to be done after a column replacement so that the electronic power steering module is "zeroed" in regards to the handwheel position and torque sensors in column in order to get correct "on-center" feel and "steering returnability". These 2 procedures only take a minute and the dealer should probably try them again if it was only done once. You have to make sure the front wheels and steering wheel are all straight and no load being applied to steering wheel (don't touch it!) when these procedures are done.

These procedures also are recommended to be done after a suspension alignment procedure.

Only additional thought I can provide is this:

There is also an informational TSB #04-03-06-001 called "Vehicle Leads/Pulls Characteristics and Diagnosis" for this vehicle that the dealer could take a look at. It talks about those suspension terms like front cross-caster and front cross-camber which is outside me area of expertise but probably will mean something to them.

Good luck, and sorry about your experience so far with the vehicle.
  • Options
    I don't have any experience with the Equinox but I am sure there is another forum on Edmunds with owners of that vehicle posting you could look up their experiences.
  • Options
    duffdduffd Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone found the cord for the engine coolant heater (block heater). The owners manual says it is near the engine air filter/cleaner, but I can't see to find it. Thanks
  • Options
    "I was a little concerned about commenting on this particular case due to how far things looked to have progressed with dealer."

What do you mean by this? I wasn't sure...

I still think that since I drive a 2 year old every day in this car my dealer should look at an exchange for the same or differnt car within the same price range since I've had alot of steering problems as you can see I now feel unsafe with this car. I was also looking at the Equinox. Have they been pretty reliable?

Thanks, let me know.
  • Options
    Engine block heater (option K05) is supposed to be standard equipment on Canadian optioned vehicles (as you likely know). Your vehicle had this option called out - so everything OK there.

The owner manual is not correct for both engine types, duffd. The cord is stowed on different sides of the engine compartment depending on if you had 4 or 6 cylinder engine. For the 6 cylinder the cord should be found stuffed outboard of the driver side "shock tower" which is located rearward of the "battery box" Thank you for pointing out this item I will pass it along.

Let us know if you find the cord on the driver side of vehicle, if it is not there then I am concerned that the cord may be missing from your vehicle and you would need dealer's help in getting a replacement so that your engine coolant can stay warm with the cold winter approaching.
  • Options
    avantiavanti Member Posts: 27
    Wow, everything I've read about you is true, you are really quick with an answer and very helpful!
      I figured the wiring harnesses would be specific to the equipment on the car and not one size fits all with lots of unused wiring and plugs.
      Maybe I'll get an LT after all...
  • Options
    sorry for the double post...
  • Options
    duffdduffd Member Posts: 9
    Yes e2helper it was stuffed outboard of the driver side shock tower. Thanks for the help. It is great to have someone with the "know" who can answer questions.
  • Options
    envoyleeenvoylee Member Posts: 6
    Can anyone tell me if it is possible to retro fit LT fog lights to the LS model (sedan). The dealer is not sure? If so, would it be a dealer job, or something I could do in my garage some afternoon. Also, I appreciate e2helper and all of his knowledge, I have learned more from him then the dealer. Hope you hang around e2helper. Oh yea, my last vin #210119, sometime in 04/04? Thanks.
  • Options
    Specific build date is 4/15/04 (Hmm, that date seems strangely easy to remember LOL)

Adding fog lamps? it is possible, but not something dealer probably would want to try. Actually - adding remote start would be easier - but you already have that option ;)

I will cover it strictly from content that is currently in your vehicle and what is missing from your vehicle (assuming an implementation that is like production design)

I don't have any knowledge about how easy it would be to physically add the fog lamps themselves to the vehicle (does the front "fascia" have provisions for the lamp assmebly already?) - Dealer probably in a better position to understand that.

However the "behind the scenes" stuff is what you want to know about. The answer is unfortunately wiring is "given away" in the vehicle, making the job pretty difficult.

However to "show off" I will give you all the gory details :)

1 - Fog Lamp switch is instrument panel would be easy to install, just replace the insert plug in trim panel with an actual switch.

2 - The wiring for this fog lamp switch is NOT in the instrument panel wiring harness and would have to be added (4 wires - 1 connector).

3 - One wire is missing in body harness from body computer to the underhood electrical center to drive fog lamp relay

4 - The whole underhood electrical center would have to be replaced with a part containing fog lamp relay and fuse. You cannot just add external parts to the existing part, it has to be replaced with the LT part.

5 - The forward lamp harness would have to have wiring for fog lamps added (4 wires - 2 connectors).

6 - The body computer does not have to be replaced but it would have to be "reconfigured" to enable the fog lamp option.
  • Options
    anyone know why when I post a reply there are double and triple posts sometimes?

what am i doing wrong?
  • Options
    maxxlibertymaxxliberty Member Posts: 82
    Find a wrecked Maxx LT in a junk yard and get what you need - including wire harness.

I've done it in the past with other cars.

Two wires - 12 volts and ground will power whatever is needed/wanted.
  • Options
    prdmprdm Member Posts: 145
    <anyone know why when I post a reply there are double and triple posts sometimes?>

Other people, including the Host, have requested that you don't hit the refresh button on the browser. Apparently that duplicates your post. I don't think I can confirm that since I'm on a Mac.
  • Options
    michiganmaxxmichiganmaxx Member Posts: 72
    To avoid seeing multiple copies of your last posting, the thing for all of us to remember is that if you recently posted to a forum, hitting the refresh button resends or "reposts" the posting. You instead should click on "Recent Messages" or one of the blue highligted pages at the top or bottom of the page you are on instead. Prdm, you may be right in that it doesn't work the same way if you are using a mac.
  • Options
    ahodgesahodges Member Posts: 9
    e2helper,

I Don't Know if I Have mentioned this before, My malibu has been in the shop twice for my theft system. The dealership said it locked up. Could this contribute to the horn honking?
  • Options
    tra2883tra2883 Member Posts: 79
    I had my dealer check out the howl coming from my transmission the week before Thanksgiving. I had to go for a ride with the tech because they couldn't hear anything. I let the car warm up, and then took it up some hills, and then they heard it loud and clear. They weren't able to do anything immediately, but now I have an appointment for this Wednesday. I guess one of their tranny guys is going to check it out, and talk to a gm tech-line (or something, don't remember exactly what it was called) and see what's happening. It sounds like this isn't something that they've seen before on the Malibu. I did give them the TSB number that I got from this forum. We'll see how it goes!
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Hitting refresh/reload after posting will duplicate your message no matter what system you're using. It's the nature of the discussion software. As suggested, clicking on "recent messages" is preferred. Also, if you have subscribed to the topic, all you need to do is click on "read subscriptions".
  • Options
    autechautech Member Posts: 1
    I have an LT and the lights are useless, they point to ground. Dealer says thats normal. I wouldn't bother to install these.
    Does anyone know how to align them?
  • Options
    I haven't done this procedure so I don't know how well it works.

PREPARATION:

Horizontal aim is not adjustable on this vehicle. Vertical aim is done by an adjusting nut located on the rear of the fog lamp. Prior to aiming the fog lamps, perform the following steps:

1. Completely assemble all of the components on the vehicle.
    2. Place the vehicle on a level surface.
    3. Stop all unnecessary operations or work that could affect the ride height of the vehicle.
    4. Close the doors and verify that the luggage compartment is empty.
    5. Stabilize the suspension by rocking the vehicle sideways.
    6. Ensure that the fuel level is full.
    7. Ensure that the tires are inflated to the proper pressure.
    8. Ensure that the driver or a similar weight , approximately 75 kg (165 lb), is in the vehicle driver seat.

AIMING (hope this verbiage is self-explanatory enough):
    1. Park the vehicle 7.6 m (25 ft) away from a target screen.
    2. Measure from the center of the fog lamp to the ground line. Using this measurement, mark the horizontal centerline (2) of the fog lamp on the target screen directly in front of the vehicle.
    3. Turn ON the fog lamps. The top of the fog lamp beam image (4) on the target screen should be 102 mm (4 in) below the center of the fog lamp lens height.
    4. Adjust the fog lamp as required using the adjusting wing nut on the rear of the fog lamp.
    5. Turn OFF the fog lamps.
  • Options
    I don't think so. The 2001 Malibu didn't have any type of content theft system and the vehicle antitheft system does not cause the horn to honk.

Sorry, I hadn't thought much more about your case recently. I will have to review the old posts.
  • Options
    jess33jess33 Member Posts: 13
    I have the same issue w/ my tranny and my build date also coincides w/ the TSB. I would be interested in what the dealer recommends. I am hesitant to have a major repair done to the tranny. If you can follow-up on what you decide to do and how it goes that would be helpful! Mine also howls on hills and when accelerating. I really didn't pay much attention to it until a co-worker (male) got into the car and said, "What the heck is that noise?" If it's just a nuisance noise I'll just let it be, but if it has possible long term consequences I need to know that and make a decision. Thanks!
  • Options
    jess33jess33 Member Posts: 13
    Since I'll be scheduling for service w/ the other TSB's, are you aware of a fix for the rear window shades? I have been unable to use them as they snap back loudly without notice and scare the bejezzus out of me and my kids!! Is there a TSB # ? I've been just not using them, but it gets pretty sunny back there. I've tried to access the NHTSA web site for TSB's but that's a monster to navigate and understand. Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    TSB #04-08-110-004A is what you are looking for. It adds a reinforcement to the sunroof trim. Dated Aug 5 which is why NHTSA site didn't have it yet (which just has TSBs up to June 2004).

It does require removal of the headliner in vehicle.

Maybe others have had this done to their vehicle to give you some "real world" experience on how well it worked.
  • Options
    per my threads on the steering problem and the 4th time in trying to fix multiple steering problems on a car that has only 7,000 miles on it...I called the chevy cust. service assistance and they will be in contact with my dealer tomorrow.

when they asked me what would keep me very satisfied, i told them since this problem affected the value, use and safety on my car i would ultimately like an exchange for a different chevy vehicle if they cannot fix this problem. i really wouldn't be able to trust another malibu maxx or malibu in general. i drive my 2 year old and wife very frequently so i cannot afford to have my steering wheel lock up while i was driving before the steering column was ultimately replaced. im sorry but thats something nobody should go through in ANY car.

i will keep everyone posted!
  • Options
    From what I can tell, the only differences between the single disc and 6-disc players are the number of discs and the "song list." Can anyone verify that is all you get for $300?
  • Options
    skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    My build date was 1/26/04. I noticed the howl immediately when I took delivery last March. It was especially noticeable on accelerating on left hand turns. I discussed this with the service manager and decided not to have the whatever changed. I now have over 10k on the car. Either I am conditioned to the sound or it has lessened in intensity. I rarely hear it. I can always change my mind and address it later.

My major concern is the steering. My build date falls in the problem area. I was told by the service manager that if it was going to fail, it would have by now. It concerns me enough that I have decided to take my other car south for the winter.

As for the shades, I never close them and would never want a dealer removing a headliner. My 4 year old grandson loves looking out the skylight.

Now that the thermostat is changed, the heater warms the car properly.

I am pleased with the car and have been happy with the size of the stuff that I have managed to get in the car.
  • Options
    kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    Does anyone or can anyone provide the procedure for removing the trim around the rear skylight?

I notice a lot of little creaks and rattles in it and would like to really look it over and add appropriate padding to quiet things down in there.

Yes I could take it to dealer but have noticed dealer service techs are notoriously bad doing interior trim work (one dealer wrecked rear window and brake lights in last car when fixing head liner).
  • Options
    paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    from what i have seen in the forum..you must remove the headliner to access the trim parts around the skylight...one individual here has had his replaced..and the installation was so poor he now has more rattles and creaks than before....
  • Options
    I have close to 7k on my Maxx, and think the same thing about the tranny skyhawk....i'd swear the howl is diminishing over time.
  • Options
    3chevies3chevies Member Posts: 8
    Hi e2helper,

Well got my car in today about the "check gas cap" message.
    They just called me back and said I need another new fuel tank.
    They said the valve that has something to do with the vapors, was defective. And it can't be replaced on its own. So they are ordering a new fuel tank and I will take the car back in to have it replaced when it gets there.
    Not a big deal, but I hope that the next tank is OK. I am now nervous that the other condition of not being able to fill it up will show up again.

Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    islandpeteislandpete Member Posts: 94
    Finally got my Maxx back yesterday after being at the dealer since 11/23. Returned the rental they had let me use and off I drove :-) This dealership is out to please and they expect you to give them high marks if you are satisfied. At this point I am and will see if this is the end of my problems at least until next year.:-) e2helper, they did have to replace the S.D.M. Module as you said was probably the problem. This is what the invoice says: S.D.M module not communicating with B.C.M, Scanned system for codes and replaced S.D.M. Module Tan Case # 7812492. Is there any significance to "Tan Case" ? Curious as always :-) Thanks ~~Pete~~
  • Options
    Another tank replacement!! - sorry to hear that 3chevies :(
  • Options
    Well yes there is islandpete :)

Congrats to your dealership on good documentation.

This indicates that your dealer technician took advantage of GM's Technical Assistance Center to help with his/her diagnosis on your vehicle. A good idea on the issue you were experiencing which was kind of tricky. This system is known by a few different 3LAs (3 letter acryonyms) - TACenter, TASystem or TANetwork.

When they make a call to those consultants they get assigned a Case #.

The consultants for U.S. dealerships are all located at a facility in Flint, Michigan. GM of Canada has their own Technical Assistance Center in Oshawa, Ontario covering Canadian Dealerships.
  • Options
    beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    Yes, I'll gladly chime in with my experiences...

My DIC consistently reads 2-4 MPG higher than my actual (manually calculated) gas mileage. For example, I just got home from a 350 mile trip, and the DIC indicated 33.6 for most of the last half. When I refueled, I ended up with 30.1. Not bad, but definitelyy off from what the computer says.

BTW, my Maxx LS was also build in 6/04, and I have the "gauge problem" ( it never reads more than about 7/8 full) but I've never had the DIC gas cap warning. Yet.
  • Options
    You would most likely see a Check Gas Cap warning the morning after you fuel vehicle, drive a short distance (I am not sure how far) then parked vehicle overnight with a pretty much full tank remaining.

Maybe that doesn't fall into your driving pattern?
  • Options
    The steering was drifting to the left so all they did was an alignment. i also had them do the 2 recalls out now on the malibu maxx and they also replaced the 6 disc cd changer, cd got stuck occasionally.

will keep everyone posted on how it works out!
  • Options
    nwmaxxnwmaxx Member Posts: 4
    For those of you who have been concerned about how your Maxx handles in the snow, don't sweat it. Today was Day 1 of our Spokane winter, and I blew thru a mixture of glare ice and snow covered highway. The traction control seems effective while trying to get some gription at low speeds. The ABS emits some rather bizarre sounds, but they always seem to do something weird. Steering in a skid seemed effortless with one-hand. Why let driving on greased bearings get you white-knuckled?

I've driven a full size Chevy pickup for years(which is akin to driving a four-man bob) and will be taking the Maxx to the skihill instead this winter. See ya on the slopes!
  • Options
    Can anyone advise if the rear spoiler really makes the rear window get dirty? (The rumor is the wiper was added at the last minute because the spoiler did that; given the way it looks I can believe it...) And is the wiper effective?
      Can anyone without the rear spoiler/wiper (most of you) advise if the rear window gets dirty and you wish you had a wiper?
      (Yes, I am still trying to decide between an LS and an LT.)
  • Options
    3chevies3chevies Member Posts: 8
    beedublu,

In my case the Check Gas Cap warning came on about 100 miles and 4 to 5 days after I had filled up.
    I posted above and the dealer has determined that a valve is bad on the vapor recovery system and I need a new fuel tank.
    Second fuel tank replacement in four weeks.
  • Options
    jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    Glad to hear that you weren't one of those "featured" drivers that The Weather Channel was showing all last evening. Seems a lot of people were playing bumper-cars-on-ice. From the looks of things, roads were extremely treacherous (one scene in particular showed an Explorer slowly pushing a VW down the street).
  • Options
    paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    i have an 04 LT..of course w/o spoiler and wiper....and am very pleased with how clean the rear window stays....at highway speeds...above 40MPH....it remains completely dry in a downpour..the is the first car I can honestly say does efficiently uses the wind flow over the back of the car to keep the window clean...of course..city driving...the window does get wet...but I use rainex on all the windows to reduce the problem.....I have never had a vision issue out the rear window yet .....bought the car in Feb 04...13K on it..and no problems yet abeit the rear window shades...

any comments from 05 owners with the spoiler and wiper???
  • Options
    firemanjackfiremanjack Member Posts: 123
    Hey Avanti; I have an '05 LS with the spoiler/wiper option..the rear window doesn't seem to get overly dirty..the wiper works very well. I like the switch..a toggle affair on the lower dash to the right of the power outlet. It all seems to work fine.. Good luck Jack
  • Options
    prdmprdm Member Posts: 145
    My experience with hatchbacks in the past has been that as the rear glass approaches vertical the dirtier it gets. With the MAXX's glass near 45 degrees it is essentially self cleaning. The problem with the rear wiper is the motor is mounted on the glass not buried below in the hatch so between the rear headrests and the wiper motor there's not much else to see in the rearview mirror.
  • Options
    beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    Actually, that IS my driving pattern most of the time! Yet still no problems with Gas Cap warnings.

In fact, neither the DIC MPG error nor the never-full indication on the fuel gauge are big deals for me. I'm almost tempted to let those go because of the fear that replacing the tank might actually mess something else up. But from what I understand on this board, the fuel tank warping can sometimes create starting or driveability issues. So I should probably have it done. True?
  • Options
    tra2883tra2883 Member Posts: 79
    Mine seems to come and go as well. When I initially brought it in to the dealer about 2 weeks ago, it wasn't bad, but definitely still there. The past few days though, it's been louder and more apparent. My car is in the shop as we speak having the howl looked at, and once I find out what they tell me about it, I'll relay that to you all.
  • Options
    thanks tra2883. and thanks to nwmaxx for the snow update.
  • Options
    kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    The Maxx skylight trim has two small screws holding the rear of it in place. If these are removed, will the outer plastic then come off? I tried removing the screws and pulling __very__ gently around the edge of the trim, but the trim stayed put.

If I have to take the entire headliner off just to remove the outer ring of trim --- well, no plans to do that!! Went through that with another car and it ended up a mess (the dealer did no better).