Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• pfaffpfaff Member Posts: 12
    I live in Ontario, Canada. I ordered a 2005 Tacoma 4x4 Doublecab Automatic + Sport Package at the end of February and I'm still waiting for delivery. That's three months wait so far. That's one quarter of a year. This seems to me to be an unusually long wait. Where's my truck? I want my truck. :cry:

What are the experiences with delivery times for other recent Tacoma buyers, particularly those in Ontario?

Toyota, are you listening? You should be providing more feedback about delivery times to your customers. My dealer can't even tell me exactly when the vehicle will be arriving. :confuse:

Despite the wait, I'm still looking forward to my new Tacoma. :shades:
  • fgs_ncfgs_nc Member Posts: 9
    You're not alone. I ordered mine 2/10/05 (Desert Sand 4x4 Doublecab Automatic + OffRoad Package) and I'm still waiting too :cry:

A month or so ago, (High Point, NC) dealer said order was accepted and should go into production end of this month or early June. But for last couple of weeks can't get them to answer my emails asking for an update!! That's about par, based on my past experiences with Toyota dealers though. Toyota makes a great vehicle (usually) but they REALLY need to work on their dealers when it comes to customer satisfaction :mad:
  • canadiantacocanadiantaco Member Posts: 24
    i was wondering paint code for indigo blue (navy blue) of the toyota tacoma... im painting the chrome thing on the front because it is ugly..... i hate chrome on the front ends..... thanks
  • 88toylc88toylc Member Posts: 53
    Lots of folks, including yours truly, have reported the howling problem. Scary isn't it. Unfortunately, the dealer will not even write this up, because they will not drive the car over 80 mph and can't count on the cross winds. I would imagine there are other ways to check and see what the failure is, but my dealer said he would not write it up if there was no way to reproduce the conditions under which the noise appeared.
  • tc_boardstc_boards Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

Are you sure it is comming from the windshield? I think the howling problems you are talking about are comming from the radio antennea. Try removing the radio antenna and test. If that is the problem then go and spend $10 on different type of antennea. :shades:

Good luck!
  • naturalhighnaturalhigh Member Posts: 8
    I put my order in December 12 for a D-Cab short bed 4x4 6spd TRD Offroad JBL and didn't recived it till May 20 so be prepared to wait. Do enjoy the truck so far and no problems. :shades:
  • fixmeisterfixmeister Member Posts: 1
    I have the noise in my 2005 standard cab/bed. I have located some of the noise as coming from between the seats at the back of the truck. Sounds like road noise. I do not have an extended cab so the howling can be very pronounced. Also, there is noise that seems to be coming from the side windows in mine. In addition to all that, I have a transmission rattle that only gets noticeable when hot, but goes away when the clutch is depressed. Plan to go to the dealer for that. I love the truck (mine's red) but it is noisy. I thought it a little odd that Toyota build the 'Truck of the year', have it so widely accepted, but have these serious flaws. I will be watching to see what, if anything, comes of the noise situation.

Tom
  • eaglegeagleg Member Posts: 87
    If you have power mirrors try moving them when you hear the noise.I heard it once and when I moved the passenger side mirror it stopped.Fortunately for me I am not always going 80 into 50 mph winds.Ain't no thang.
  • dr_turbodr_turbo Member Posts: 60
    My shield has all the brakets exposed when looking from the back. Is this the way it should be? It just looks funny like something isn;t quite right. The dealer wasn't sure of the p/n cause it changed from their book and the computer was wrong. It does not tuck under the hood at all.
    How should it look when attached? Thanks

2005 tacoma DC
  • jadamjrjadamjr Member Posts: 28
    Carolinatlc,

Your dealership told you the paint chips were not covered? No truck paint should chip under normal operation (ie: on road). I took my truck back to the dealer for chipping on the rear fenders and got it repainted. Then I took it back again this week to have the doors repainted due to stone chips. Fully Covered!

Joe
  • jadamjrjadamjr Member Posts: 28
    Troutdoorsman,

Yep same problem on my 2005 Dbl Cab. Getting it replaced this week!

Joe
  • streaksstreaks Member Posts: 64
    Hey dr, got the same..brackets wrap 'round the hood..ur kewl...not enough space when the hood closes to fit the deflector itself..hense the bracket mount.
    i dig the look(different) & it's workin' well, however i'm concerned about stability... seems to "wiggle a bit more that i'd like... I'll be watchin this closely.. if you search under "hood protectors" on this forum, u will find more info...think there's a link to a site w/ an aftermarket if need be. Good luck to us both!!

I have an Acc. Off-Road OG#2...V6...6M..Black Sand....Awesome truck..got about 4000 mi. on 'er..gettin faster every day..Good break-in!! Can't wait to run into a Frontier!!!
    Turns heads too..not many here in Cent. Pa.
  • kidiccaruskidiccarus Member Posts: 2
    "I have one real annoyance...a clicking noise coming from the front drivers side door area... possibly the B-pillar. It makes the annoying sound only on little tiny imperfections in the road (pretty much constantly) but does not do it on big bumps. It sounds like a washer that is rattling between a bolt and a nut that is not tight. I took it to the dealer and they at first did not hear it, but with me driving and the tech listening they heard it (so he said). I ended taking off the door panel myself and driving and yes it was still there... The door panel was not the culprit... I siliconed all the door seals and checked all the screws, bolts and anything else that could be tightened... and it is still there...damn it!"

I also have an 05 Tacoma double cab with off road and tow package that I've been driving for about a month now. I love it except for...

I have been experiencing the same door rattle that seems to come from the B-pillar just behind my left ear, though I can't put my finger on exactly where it comes from. I saw that this post was from March, and I'm wondering if you (or anyone else) ever figured out what caused the rattle and how to fix it.
  • bobwhobobwho Member Posts: 24
    I've been watching this forum for the over 6 months now. I've read all the problems that people are having about chipping paint, rattles, leaks, rust and howling noises. Well, now I wonder are all the problems from Toy trucks made before 12/04 or after. It seems that few problems are coming up after 01/05. I've got a 90 Toy 4X4 with 184,000 and have had to replace things due to wear. When the new 05 came out, I thought I would wait awhile and see if anyone has problems and it's obvious that there are. I'm ready to wait for the 06 to come out, but if all the problems are solved, than I could be driving one within a few weeks. So help me out folks, whats story are the problems on all the toys being built or just the first few months. Thanks.
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    My 03/05 Access Cab 4x4 V6 TRD is still perfect.
  • bill55bill55 Member Posts: 25
    I live in Calgary and ordered my "05 DC A/T LB 4X4 Sport w/towing package" on March 18. The dealer informed it would be a three to four month wait. About mid April he also informed me that the scheduled assembly date was May 9 and approximate delivery timeframe would be early to mid June. This was OK ,it gave me time to figure out how i would pay for it.So i am still anxiously waiting. Will keep you informed.
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    Gosh, you guys are making me feel bad. I only had to wait 4 days to get my Black 05 DC V6 AT 4x4 TRD Sport #2.

Is your dealer contacting other dealers in the area to see if they have what you want, and could make a trade? That's what my dealer did. They traded a Tundra that they had on the lot for my Tacoma that had just arrived on a truck at a dealer 60 miles away.
  • jkmqjkmq Member Posts: 8
    For me the LB is really needed.The shorter bed is just too short.The P265 tires and the 4x4 package makes the truck look great.I've had no problems manuevering the truck at all such as parking, u-turns etc. The only thing I could mention that I have a little trouble with is changing lanes in traffic.The headrest on the back seats can make it tricky, visibilty wise. Everything else has been great.
  • toytrucktoytruck Member Posts: 67
    I am wondering if anyone knows if the paint material and process on the Tacomas is different at the Mexico plant than the California plant?

Terry
    2005 Tacoma on the way to arbitration.
  • ruskastudruskastud Member Posts: 34
    Been reading all about people's problems and etc., and the one question I have, seems to have been answered a million times, but with no consistent answer. Does either the single disk or 6 disk CD changer in the '05 Tacoma play mp3 CD's? If you don't know what an mp3 CD is, please don't respond. If you do, please let me know what's up. This is honestly the only thing stopping me from going out and buying an '05 today. Some posts on this site say yes, some say no, some say just the changer, some say just the singe disk. I honestly think a lot of people don't know what an mp3 cd is. An mp3 CD is a DATA disk with files with the .mp3 extention. These files happen to be audio files and thus play music when read as data. Not all CD players play mp3 CD's. Hopefully someone out there know's what's up.

Yes, this is that important to me. If you want to knock me for being so picky, please do it on your own time......

Thanks in advance!!!
    Why not just bring your own disc to a dealer and try it?
  • imin2mximin2mx Member Posts: 27
    This is how I got my DC LB Prerunner Sport with leather in one week. I bought it December 4th, so they were just out and hard to get. I originally contacted the local dealers in person and via their web sites to find this truck, but was told of the delays etc. Eventually, I found a web site the had all of the dealers in Florida (where I live). They didn't give their web site address, but in all cases their web site address was the same as their name i.e. Toyota of Orlando was www.toyotaoforlando.com. At any rate, I logged onto all of their web sites and looked at their inventory and what they were going to receive. I finally found the truck I wanted even though the dealer would not receive it for five days. It was about a hundred miles away, but hey, I got the truck I wanted in about a week.
  • wes240wes240 Member Posts: 33
    The Tacoma CD player does NOT play mp3s. I have the regular non-JBL 6 CD changer. I do know what mp3s are. Maybe the JBL one does play mp3s but I'm almost sure it does not.
  • quadrunner501quadrunner501 Member Posts: 94
    I'm sure it's been asked, but we are looking at getting one...

The Toyota website states that premium fuel is recommended for "maximum performance and economy." Economy...WTF? If we run premium, the fuel costs will damn near approach what it costs for our Nissan Titan.

Is anybody running regular? What mileage are you getting with the 4.0? Manual or Auto? DOES IT PING ON REGULAR?
  • amsgeorgiaamsgeorgia Member Posts: 3
    I ordered my Tacoma (Prerunner DC SR5 Package #8, JBL stereo, bed mat, edge guards, VIP security system, ToyoGuard Plus, Impulse Red exterior, Graphite interior) last November, but didn't receive it until the beginning of March this year. The production date for the vehicle is Feb. 2005, and it came from the plant in Mexico (TMMBC). I haven't had any of the problems I've read about in these forums (paint chipping, wind noise, rattles, leaks, etc.) I don't know if it's due to the production date or because of the plant it came from. I would expect the later production date makes a difference, because it seems like most of the problems I've read about here are on trucks produced last year.

Before this truck I had a 1995 Tacoma 2wd Access Cab with 150,000 miles, also in Impulse Red with the taupe interior. Never had any problems with it, other than routine maintenance, and my Dad's driving it now as his primary vehicle.

I'll post pictures in the Tacoma Pictures forum if anyone's interested.
  • bjw1bjw1 Member Posts: 152
    I have a dble cab v6, with auto and putting 89 octane and getting 18.5 to 19.5 mpg in city and about 21.5 in highway(I tend to drive 75-80mph). Last time I filled up I got 20.15 mpg with 186miles on 9.3 gals, with just 30 miles coming on highway and the rest city( and of course punching it a few times), I have actually never put in regular since i bought it due to reading about people having pinging issues, I now have 5200 miles, and love it. :)
  • stephen1stephen1 Member Posts: 27
    Had my DC Prerunner TRD (auto) a couple of weeks now. Built 04/05 So far so good. First tank was 18mpg, next was 19mpg; all on 87 octane. About 60/40 hwy/city. About 2-3 mpg more than my 04 Z71 on same route. Can't complain, and more enjoyable to drive also. Even about 1mpg more than my wife's 04 Pilot on similar routes.

My fender flares appear to be a tad less "shiny" than the body of the truck. Anyone else notice this?

On hot days, the air from the A/C appears to be not as cold as it should. I thought I remembered someone else with a similar issue and the dealer found that the hot/cold damper was not adjusted properly and allowing some hot air to get by. Anybody with similar issues?

Fog lights need an indicator light. Had them on the other night and didn't even know it.

Later
    I noticed the fender flares being more than a tad less than shiny on the dealer lot, they looked downright dull but oh well. I didn't see any chipped paint, but I don't think the gleam of the Black Sand Pearl on the body is especially good either. Every review raves on the quality of the interior materials, but there too it has just as much of the cheap hard plastic as my Titan. And if I pressed on the panels, I could hear some potential for creaking. Toyota has a reputation to defend for quality and longevity. In some ways, I see that in the details like the rubber gasketing between the fender flares and the fender panel on the TRD model. And the fit and alignment of panels looks very good. But playing devil's advocate when it comes to my own money, I do worry that the reliability they've been famous for was based on the simplistic design of the older models, and that this new version with bells and whistles like VVT variable cams could mean there's more to go wrong with it.

I'm also worried whether I could actually get my wife to put mid-grade fuel in it. I can't get her to put air in the tires and it's free.

That said...after looking at both pretty closely, I find it much more appealing than the boxy Ridgeline with its gimmickery and puny street tires. The Tacoma TRD looks tough and plays the part.

We haven't given any consideration to the new Frontier. Although by most accounts it is equal to the Tacoma, my wife hates the styling of my Titan which bears strong resemblance, so it's out of the running for us. I like metallic silver and a smooth shifting 5 speed tranny, she wants to heel and toe in a nascar #3 black for her.
  • gr8blue1gr8blue1 Member Posts: 33
    Mine is pre-12/04. I'm sure this is not an exception as Yota made thousands of these trucks. Or am I just lucky??

Zero issues here today. Except for the low gas mileage :cry: which improved after about 6000 miles (now 17-20+ depending on speed).

DC 4x4 SB 6M TRD #2 w/ tow build date 10/04 Fremont CA. Easily acquired Nov. 04

Over 10,000 smiles and miles and more to go. :shades:
  • indigo_inkindigo_ink Member Posts: 23
    I noticed that my A/C was not at cold as I think it should have been either.

I have an idea that turning on the A/C button does not redirect the air source from external to internal... it still uses external air. So try turning on the recycle air button with the A/C button on and see if you notice any improvements. I tried it and it did seem to work better for me. Good luck. :shades:
    I have been using my a.c for a week now, use the recyled air button and seems to be very effecient, dont have it full blast very long, usaully 2-3 minutes.
  • deepred300deepred300 Member Posts: 15
    I've been running with 87 octane. Got about 2,000 miles right now. We do have reformulated gas in St. Louis. I've gotten 20 mpg the last two tanks (mostly city with a little highway tossed in). No pinging noises. Automatic. DC TRD Sport LB (with a hard cover).

John
  • ratskinsratskins Member Posts: 7
    I'm in the process of purchasing an '05 Tacoma. I live in Santa Barbara, California. Three months ago I went to toyota.com, entered my zip code and built my Tacoma.

AC 4x4 V6 6spd man TRD Off-Road Package #2 (OG) Black/Graphite

I did as toyota.com instructed and printed out the details of my truck and submitted it to my local dealer (Santa Barbara Toyota). The dealer said that they would receive the truck in no more than two months. Two and a half months later, I still hadn't heard from my dealer. So I asked the dealer what was going on. He said he didn't know why the order is taking so long, but it apeared they're not making my truck in black. I asked him how that was possible if the web site allowed me to build that truck. He said he had no idea. I asked him what I should do and he said all he can do is keep asking for the truck and wait for toyota to make it.

Needless to say, I was pissed. So I went home and tried to build my truck online again. This time, after following the same steps as before and entering the same zip code, I couldn't select my truck in black. Toyota had updated their web site because people were building trucks that weren't being made in their region. I called Toyota Coorporate and told them my situation. They said the truck I want isn't being made in my region (Southern California Region). They said there is nothing they can do about it, other than enter the complaint. I asked them, "How am I supposed to get my truck?" They said I would have to ask my dealer if he can get it from another region.

So I call the dealer back and tell him what I discovered. His response: "Oh! Well that's why it has taken so long." I said, "Ya, but I had to figure this out myself!!! Why didn't you know this? You're the professional! I've wasted three months for nothing!" The dealer said he had been going to bat for me from day one and couldn't get my truck and there was nothing else he could do. I asked him if he could get my truck from another region and he said he would try but he can only trade with the Northern California Region.

Insted of waiting for the dealer to do the research, I did it myself by attempting to build my truck using different zip codes from my area. In 30 seconds I discovered that I couldn't get my truck in the Northern California Region either. I called my dealer back and told him this and he said, "Oh well, I can't get your truck."

Now I have to fly to Reno, Nevada to get my truck, since the closest region making my truck is the Colorado Region. They guarantee it will arrive within six weeks. We'll see about that, but at least I know they're making my truck in that region.

Moral of the story? Don't rely on your dealer to get your truck as quickly as possible. If I had done that, I'd have been waiting forever. If you've been waiting longer than six weeks and your dealer doesn't know when your truck will arrive, it's probably because your truck isn't being made in your region.
  • ratskinsratskins Member Posts: 7
    Correction:

My region is not called "Southern California Region".

It's called "Gold Coast Region".
  • bigandybigandy Member Posts: 70
    They don't use any paint there at all. Rather, they can only use pintura.
  • kidiccaruskidiccarus Member Posts: 2
    Before you go out of state to buy your truck, make sure that they know you intend to register your truck in CA (unless you also have a residence in NV). I'm not sure about the Tacoma, but I know there are many other vehicles that you can not import new into CA if you intend to register them.
    Hey Quad.....Got the black sand pearl ..looks great...nice and metallic..fenders ok too..put an A.R.E. hard tonneau on it..paint matched exactlly!!
    You know the old sayin'..Black vehicles r great when their clean!!

I'm w/ ur wife dude..i gotta V6..6M w/ the "3" car plate on front!! matches the Off- Road badging and TRD seat covers perfect!

Go to the dark side..let the wife win!! the 6 speed is a blast!!
    I'm drivin' the same truck!! Ordered in late Nov.'04..dealer said delivery by 1st of yr.
    Damn thing wasn't even built till 1/05..got it on 2/2/05 ( 2 mos.) and felt lucky!!
    These trucks are still a bit "rare" in certain areas(Truck of the Year ain't helpin')..some dealers here in Cent. Pa. have very few on the lot..in 4000 miles of drivin, inc. a trip down south to N.Caro. , I've seen about 20 or so ' 05's. A lot of the southern ones were pre-runners or base model.

Just a case of supply, demand, area...Our model ( when they build one!!) is prolly not goin' to the coasts...As stated..check the Laws..and go get ur Truck!!!
    It was worth the wait!!! :D
  • drbill1drbill1 Member Posts: 8
    Hey ratskins. If you are going to northern NV, go to Carson CIty instead of Reno. I just got my AC TRD Off Road there last week. MUCH better prices there, very easy to deal with and 30 minutes closer to home for the drive back. They traded with another dealer and got me one within a couple of weeks.

I'm not a dealer or a relative, just somebody who has been shopping for a Taco in Reno for several months.
    In Denver, 2005 Tacos by now seem fairly plentiful, including ironically, the exact configuration the California buyer was waiting 2+ months for, (and the one we're eyeing on getting tomorrow), the Black Sand Pearl, Graphite interior, Access Cab, TRD offroad #2, 6spd manual, 4.0L. It is a MEAN looking ride.

Anyway, we've talked it over, going in tomorrow. I'm thinking Carrie may change her mind about the black access cab (the color she wants) when she sees the Silver Double Cab SB equipped the same way, TRD #2, 6 spd. It's not much more expensive, but not her first color choice either, (although it should be.) My last 3 trucks have been silver, and while not as sharp as black (if anything could be when it's clean,) silver hides dirt well, stays cool in summer heat, lower maintenance proposition.

I'm still leery of the manual tranny...I've been burned once too many times with various maladies, throwout bearings, squeaky pedals, friction face linings, flywheels. But she likes the control so that's probably what we'll get. But it bugs me. The EPA numbers are better on the automatic too. And I think the automatic would give you none of the minor problems along the way that are inevitable with clutches, as long as you are lucky enough not to be the owner of record when the auto finally goes altogether. In my case, it's happened more than once that I twisted an ankle or a knee motocrossing, and couldn't work a clutch for a while, but could always drive an auto with the one good leg, either...

Thanks for the input on the fuel grade recommendations, btw.
  • offroader3offroader3 Member Posts: 37
    Cool,my question is how do you guys measure that you're getting 19.5,or 21.5 highway? Do you have to adjust some controls? How? :confuse:
  • offroader3offroader3 Member Posts: 37
    Anybody had there stereo changed with an aftermarket dashkits from either Metra or Scosche.Just curious... :confuse:
    The dash kits are out?

Where? I want one NOW! :D
  • dr_turbodr_turbo Member Posts: 60
    Anyone have one of these mounted on their 05 tacoma? I still think mine is not correct for the truck but without seeing another one it is hard to say. Mainly interested in how it is mounted.
    Thanks
  • demoncleanerdemoncleaner Member Posts: 82
    My 6 spd 4x4 TRD Sport D-cab was built 11/04, and got around Xmas. 6K, no problems at all. Worth every penny.
  • dcab1dcab1 Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone changed the oil their self, what kind of oil and filters have you used, anyone getting better gas mileage with different oils and filters? :shades:
  • shaun05tacoshaun05taco Member Posts: 1
    Yah, I have had my 05 taco 4x4 6sp TRD DC offroad since November of 04' and I have the same problem. I took it to the dealer 4 times and they replaced the RR leaf springs but I am still having the same problem. I can duplicate the knocking noise just by jerking the truck. I think I will just file for arbitration cause I'm getting the run around with these people. I hope you get yours fixed.
    just reset trip ometer when filling up and then look at it when fill up again and divide the mileage by the number of gallons you used.
    I just called scosche a few days ago and they said by mid june the dash kits will be out. I too am eagerly anticipating the dash kits :D
  • johnnybgood15johnnybgood15 Member Posts: 3
    I am about to place an order for a 2005 Tacoma Pre-runner V6 Double Cab with the sport package. I have been told that no Tacomas come from the factory with leather but the dealer is willing to send it out and get aftermarket leather.

How is the interior with the sport package? Does anyone have aftermarket leather? If so how is the quality? This is my first taco and I am stoked!!